PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Victories not necessary while Spurs aim for regular season

usckk
10-19-2005, 12:21 AM
Victories not necessary while Spurs aim for regular season
Web Posted: 10/19/2005 12:06 AM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

INDIANAPOLIS — Five down, four to go.

The Spurs passed the midpoint of their exhibition schedule Tuesday night, losing 94-81 to Indiana at Conseco Fieldhouse. While they have yet to win, they're going about their business just the same.

"Typical preseason game where everybody just wants to get the damn thing over with," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "You hope nobody gets hurt, you want to get everybody a run so they start to get in shape, maybe get some familiarity out there.

"As usual, with the last couple of preseason games, everybody will start to get a little more serious."

Popovich gave Tim Duncan the evening off. Indiana's best player, forward Jermaine O'Neal, also didn't play.

Tony Parker led the Spurs with 11 points, three rebounds and three assists in 15 minutes. As he has throughout the exhibition season, Popovich left the players trying to make the team — Melvin Sanders (six points), Stephen Graham (seven points) and Sharrod Ford (eight points, six rebounds) — in to play much of the final quarter.

Sean Marks started in Duncan's place alongside Rasho Nesterovic, Parker, Manu Ginobili and Bruce Bowen. Brent Barry, Michael Finley, Robert Horry and Nick Van Exel started the second half.

Nazr Mohammed had eight points and seven rebounds.

Pacers forward Ron Artest, who was suspended for much of last season for his role in the brawl at Detroit's Palace of Auburn Hills, had 20 points, 13 rebounds and three steals. He exited to a semi-standing ovation.

"He's worked really hard and played well, with the exception of one exhibition game," Pacers coach Rick Carlisle said. "He's just a terrific player."

Dressed down: Although Duncan didn't play Tuesday, he didn't have to worry about borrowing a sport coat before the game because the NBA's new dress code doesn't go into effect until the start of the regular season.

Players will be allowed to wear "dress jeans" and a collared shirt or sweater to and from the arena, but they must put on a sport coat if they are sitting near the bench and not in uniform.

Duncan wore his typical injured-list wardrobe: jeans and a dress shirt, though an NBA spokesman at Tuesday's game said he would have to tuck in his shirt during the regular season.

What does Duncan think about the dress code?

"I think it's a load of crap," Duncan said. "I understand what they're trying to do with the hats and do-rags and jerseys and stuff. That's fine. But I don't understand why they would take it to this level. I think it's basically retarded.

"I don't like the direction they're going, but who am I?"

Duncan said he might choose to stay in the locker room on nights he isn't playing.

Players also will not be allowed to wear "large chains, pendants or medallions" over their clothes when they enter an arena.

"I have no problem dressing up (business) casual because I know I'm a nice-looking guy," Indiana guard Stephen Jackson said. "But as far as chains, I definitely feel that's a racial statement. Almost 100 percent of the guys in the league who are young and black wear big chains. So I definitely don't agree with that at all."

Asked what he thought about the dress code, Popovich, who attended the Air Force Academy, said: "I don't think about dress codes much now. I did that when I was a cadet."

Said Ginobili: "I can understand the point of why they did it. The thing is there's always a gray area. Are these dress shoes? Are these jeans nice?

"I know many of the players won't like it because it's not what they do. But at least it's not what they thought it was going to be, like jackets all the time and suits."

Oberto's status: Popovich is hopeful Fabricio Oberto will be able to play Thursday against New Orleans in Bossier City, La.

Oberto has missed the past four games with a sprained left ankle but has continued to learn from the sideline.

"He's been able to do things that are non-contact, get the language of the system down, some of the play calls, that sort of stuff," Popovich said.

Tek_XX
10-19-2005, 01:31 AM
"I have no problem dressing up (business) casual because I know I'm a nice-looking guy," Indiana guard Stephen Jackson said. "But as far as chains, I definitely feel that's a racial statement. Almost 100 percent of the guys in the league who are young and black wear big chains. So I definitely don't agree with that at all."

QUOTE]

Dudes a thug and delusional...good looking...yeah right

DesiSpur_21
10-19-2005, 01:55 AM

Dudes a thug and delusional...good looking...yeah right

:lol :lmao

TDMVPDPOY
10-19-2005, 02:00 AM
good lookin = steph jackson shouldnt belone in the same sentence hahaha, anyway another good quote to remember :D:D

T Park
10-19-2005, 04:05 AM
I agree with Ginobili, the whole "Nice Jeans" Is stupid.

If your gonna have a dress code, no jeans what so ever.

These players hating this dress code, goes to prove how spoiled and babyed they are.

Hey NBA PLayers, welcome to real life, having to wear a uniform and look nice.

ploto
10-19-2005, 06:55 AM
I never thought about players just not sitting out there. Seems extreme.

Solid D
10-19-2005, 09:00 AM
Duncan said he might choose to stay in the locker room on nights he isn't playing.

Duncan's a team captain. If he's injured, I really don't see him sitting in the locker room and not courtside supporting his mates. He will think that one through a bit more.

G-Nob
10-19-2005, 10:48 AM
"retarded" ??? Why does he talk like he's 12?

Mavs<Spurs
10-19-2005, 11:13 AM
You know something is stupid when even Tim and Manu don't like it.

There just aren't better people than Tim and Manu.

sprrs
10-19-2005, 11:16 AM
I agree with Ginobili, the whole "Nice Jeans" Is stupid.

If your gonna have a dress code, no jeans what so ever.

These players hating this dress code, goes to prove how spoiled and babyed they are.

Hey NBA PLayers, welcome to real life, having to wear a uniform and look nice.

In Tim's case, it's just not who he is. It's not in him to want to wear a suit. This isn't like a school uniform or a job uniform, this is a business suit. Are the players going to attract clients just because they're wearing a suit sitting nera the bench? No, they're going to do that with their uniforms on.

Like Duncan said, I can see why they wouldn't allow do-rags and chains and stuff, but how will it affect business, or "clean up" the league with business suits?

thispego
10-19-2005, 12:16 PM
duncan called something else retrded not too long ago

c'mon man, you gotta be more pc than that