PDA

View Full Version : Trump party working especially hard to disenfranchise voters this week

RandomGuy
01-11-2018, 12:54 PM
The Controversial Question DOJ Wants to Add to the U.S. Census
The Department of Justice requested that the bureau inquire about citizenship in the upcoming questionnaire, a move that experts argue could have a crippling effect on participation.

A recent request by the Department of Justice to add a question on citizenship to the 2020 census could threaten participation, and as a consequence, affect the allocation of federal money and distribution of congressional seats.

In December, the Department of Justice sent a letter to the Census Bureau asking that it reinstate a question on citizenship to the 2020 census. “This data is critical to the Department’s enforcement of Section 2 of the Voting Rights Act and its important protections against racial discrimination in voting,” the department said in a letter. “To fully enforce those requirements, the Department needs a reliable calculation of the citizen voting-age population in localities where voting rights violations are alleged or suspected.” The request immediately met pushback from census experts, civil-rights advocates, and a handful of Democratic senators, who say that the argument is unfounded and that the timing of the request is irresponsible.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/01/the-controversial-question-doj-wants-to-add-to-the-us-census/550088/

RandomGuy
01-11-2018, 01:11 PM
Article is worth reading, and brings up a lot more aspects of issue than I posted here, for the sake of not shoving a wall of text into the forum.

boutons_deux
01-11-2018, 01:33 PM
DHS goons taking over voter fraud witch hunt? WTF

Voting Fraud Commission Is Gone, but Homeland Security May Pick Up Its Work

As voting rights advocates celebrated the commission’s demise, its vice chair and Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach called the administration’s move a “tactical shift.”

The voter suppression “expert” said that officials from the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) would take over the commission’s work by, for example,

comparing state voter rolls with federal immigration databases to try to find noncitizens who are registered to vote.

Kobach’s statement confirmed what voting rights advocates had claimed from the commission’s founding:

The administration plans to target voters of color for intimidation and suppression.

https://rewire.news/article/2018/01/09/voting-commission-gone-homeland-security/?utm_source=Rewire+Newsletter&utm_campaign=4a1e029e7a-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_01_10&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_811d53d1b5-4a1e029e7a-111083417

And fucking shitty red/Repug OH disenfranchised REGISTERED voters if they didn't vote. SCOTUS is taking up that case.

koriwhat
01-11-2018, 01:45 PM
Did i read that right? You agree we shouldnt be asking if you're a citizen or not in the census?

spurraider21
01-11-2018, 02:01 PM
dont understand how it would cripple participation... legal residents dont have to be citizens

koriwhat
01-11-2018, 03:31 PM
wish all these utopia day dreamers would just up and move the fuck out of the USA already because they all obviously don't give a damn about this nation or is sovereignty.

RandomGuy
01-11-2018, 05:36 PM
Did i read that right? You agree we shouldnt be asking if you're a citizen or not in the census?

Correct.

RandomGuy
01-11-2018, 05:38 PM
dont understand how it would cripple participation... legal residents dont have to be citizens

It cripples participation because people who are suspicious of the government in the first place think that the government will swoop in, even if they are US citizens.

Drives up the cost, because the Census then has to send out actual people, which gets expensive.

(edit)
Read the article, it goes into a fair amount of detail.

RandomGuy
01-11-2018, 05:39 PM
wish all these utopia day dreamers would just up and move the fuck out of the USA already because they all obviously don't give a damn about this nation or is sovereignty.

Yeah. what you said. Find happy no-tax no federal government land and have a big party before dying of dysentery from "raw" water.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

spurraider21
01-11-2018, 05:41 PM
It cripples participation because people who are suspicious of the government in the first place think that the government will swoop in, even if they are US citizens.

Drives up the cost, because the Census then has to send out actual people, which gets expensive.
i dont get it. even if the census doesnt ask a citizenship question, people still know its from the govt. why would that question make people MORE suspicious?

boutons_deux
04-24-2018, 09:14 AM
140,000 Arizona residents weren’t sent voter ID cards, official calls it a ‘little hiccup’

The Maricopa County voters may not know they're eligible to vote in the special congressional election.

As residents of Arizona’s eighth congressional district cast ballots in a special election (https://thinkprogress.org/arizona-special-election-democrat-strategy-077f43d71cae/) to replace former Rep. Trent Franks (R-AZ) in Congress,

roughly 140,000 of them may be unaware they are eligible to vote because they did not receive the ID card the county is required to send them after they register.

According to the Arizona Republic (https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/politics/elections/2018/04/20/maricopa-county-voters-havent-received-registration-id-cards/537702002/), Maricopa County officials have not sent all voters the cards they can use to cast a ballot under Arizona’s voter ID law

because of an issue with the company used to print the materials.

The paper reports that just 60,000 ID cards have been mailed to people who recently registered or changed their registration,

while about 140,000 have not been sent.

https://thinkprogress.org/arizona-residents-missing-voter-id-special-election-46a8facaf58f/

Winehole23
05-30-2019, 08:11 AM
It's about minority rule. GOP is all in on being the white nationalism party.

boutons_deux
05-30-2019, 02:05 PM
Poll: Half of Republicans Want a Dictator, Basically (https://theslot.jezebel.com/poll-half-of-republicans-want-a-dictator-basically-1797724801)

A depressing new survey has found that

half of surveyed Republicans are willing to flout the democratic process to keep our sleepwalking megalomaniac of a president in office for an indefinite amount of time.
The Washington Post surveyed (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2017/08/10/in-a-new-poll-half-of-republicans-say-they-would-support-postponing-the-2020-election-if-trump-proposed-it/?utm_term=.abc58a67cfd4) 650 right-leaning Americans about Trump’s baseless allegations of

rampant voter fraud (73 percent believe it happens frequently);

about who won the popular vote (Trump did, according to 47 percent of Republicans...even though he didn’t);

and that millions of undocumented immigrants voted in the election (68 percent believe this!).

Believe it or not, those aren’t even the most depressing findings. Here are two other questions the survey asked:

If Donald Trump were to say that the 2020 presidential election should be postponed until the country can make sure that only eligible American citizens can vote, would you support or oppose postponing the election?

What if both Donald Trump and Republicans in Congress were to say that the 2020 presidential election should be postponed until the country can make sure that only eligible American citizens can vote? Would you support or oppose postponing the election?

Let’s rephrase those:

Do you support or oppose undermining the most fundamental democratic foundations of this country, a move that will surely catapult America into a totalitarian regime, and entrust its future to Donald Trump?

Let’s think about this again! If Donald Trump, a man whose only loyalty remains to his own ego, were to declare himself America’s first dictator, supported in his rise to power by the Republican Party, would you be pretty chill about that or nah?

Well, my friends,

52 percent of respondents would support dismantling our democratic institutions to keep Trump as president,

while 56 percent would support indefinitely delaying a presidential election if both Trump and Republicans in Congress wanted to.

https://theslot.jezebel.com/poll-half-of-republicans-want-a-dictator-basically-1797724801 (https://theslot.jezebel.com/poll-half-of-republicans-want-a-dictator-basically-1797724801)

RandomGuy
05-30-2019, 02:33 PM
It's about minority rule. GOP is all in on being the white nationalism party.

Shocker. Republicans doing exactly what Democrats said they were doing for the exact reasons we said they were doing it.

I have come to conclude that the Republican party needs to be destroyed to save the country, for reasons just like this one.

It will either be that, or simply a break up. Let the flyover country and the poor south fend for themselves.

I am really that close to giving up on the idea of the USA, and I am not alone in that regard. We are already sorting ourselves, and this would let everybody get the government they want (or don't want)

boutons_deux
05-30-2019, 03:05 PM
Shocker. Republicans doing exactly what Democrats said they were doing for the exact reasons we said they were doing it.

I have come to conclude that the Republican party needs to be destroyed to save the country, for reasons just like this one.

It will either be that, or simply a break up. Let the flyover country and the poor south fend for themselves.

I am really that close to giving up on the idea of the USA, and I am not alone in that regard. We are already sorting ourselves, and this would let everybody get the government they want (or don't want)

iow, you've come around to "America is fucked and unfuckable"

America is in full decline, as is the man-shits-his-bed planet.

The "Repugs destroyed" doesn't touch their oligarchy paymasters, their puppet meisters, who have all the money (power) to destroy any attackers.

Winehole23
05-30-2019, 04:34 PM

I am really that close to giving up on the idea of the USA, and I am not alone in that regard. We are already sorting ourselves, and this would let everybody get the government they want (or don't want)Nathan89 says stuff like that too. The theme of disunion as desideratum (https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/desideratum) seems to be on the uptick.

RandomGuy
05-31-2019, 07:29 AM
iow, you've come around to "America is fucked and unfuckable"

America is in full decline, as is the man-shits-his-bed planet.

The "Repugs destroyed" doesn't touch their oligarchy paymasters, their puppet meisters, who have all the money (power) to destroy any attackers.

Hmm. Well, you will get to say a huge "i told you so".

Dunno. my pessimist and optimist sides are still struggling.

RandomGuy
05-31-2019, 07:35 AM
Nathan89 says stuff like that too. The theme of disunion as desideratum (https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/desideratum) seems to be on the uptick.

The Christian theocracy they push for would collapse within a generation or so. Social Democracy has proven itself to my satisfaction.

The conservative desire to own the libs and overall hostility has driven this, IMO. Progressives and liberals were fine shrugging it off as empty animus until Trump got elected. Now, we are just as pissed, if not more so. Problem for the Republican party is that there are more of us. Democrats voting as reliably and dependably as Republicans means Republicans lose, even with all their cheating.

It would be ironic if the successor to the break up of the Soviet Union succeeded where the Soviet Union failed.

boutons_deux
05-31-2019, 07:38 AM
Hmm. Well, you will get to say a huge "i told you so".

Dunno. my pessimist and optimist sides are still struggling.

none of you ever say, step by step, how to get to optimism, how to defeat the oligarchy, without violent revolution

RandomGuy
05-31-2019, 07:39 AM
none of you ever say, step by step, how to get to optimism, how to defeat the oligarchy, without violent revolution

Electing enough progressives would do the trick.

boutons_deux
05-31-2019, 09:15 AM
Electing enough progressives would do the trick.

Pelosi (snarks "there's only 5 of them") and the Dem establishment (work for a (progressive) challenger of a Dem incumbent? you lose DNC funding)

The Repugs have figured out that legislators are not reliable, so they are polluting SCOTUS and all Federal judiciary with incompetent, unqualified, young, extreme right wing Leonard Leo ideologues who will be, for decades, obstacles to progress, and promoters of regress.

And the all-powerful oligarchy has $Bs to outspend progressives at every level.

WTF has Pelosi done with her huge majority in the House?