PDA

View Full Version : Duncan sounds off on the dress code

Pages : [1] 2 3

Kori Ellis
10-19-2005, 12:23 AM
Dressed down: Although Duncan didn't play Tuesday, he didn't have to worry about borrowing a sport coat before the game because the NBA's new dress code doesn't go into effect until the start of the regular season.

Players will be allowed to wear "dress jeans" and a collared shirt or sweater to and from the arena, but they must put on a sport coat if they are sitting near the bench and not in uniform.

Duncan wore his typical injured-list wardrobe: jeans and a dress shirt, though an NBA spokesman at Tuesday's game said he would have to tuck in his shirt during the regular season.

What does Duncan think about the dress code?

"I think it's a load of crap," Duncan said. "I understand what they're trying to do with the hats and do-rags and jerseys and stuff. That's fine. But I don't understand why they would take it to this level. I think it's basically retarded.

"I don't like the direction they're going, but who am I?"

Duncan said he might choose to stay in the locker room on nights he isn't playing.

Players also will not be allowed to wear "large chains, pendants or medallions" over their clothes when they enter an arena.

"I have no problem dressing up (business) casual because I know I'm a nice-looking guy," Indiana guard Stephen Jackson said. "But as far as chains, I definitely feel that's a racial statement. Almost 100 percent of the guys in the league who are young and black wear big chains. So I definitely don't agree with that at all."

Asked what he thought about the dress code, Popovich, who attended the Air Force Academy, said: "I don't think about dress codes much now. I did that when I was a cadet."

Said Ginobili: "I can understand the point of why they did it. The thing is there's always a gray area. Are these dress shoes? Are these jeans nice?

"I know many of the players won't like it because it's not what they do. But at least it's not what they thought it was going to be, like jackets all the time and suits.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA101905.10C.BKNspurs.pacers.gamer.130a449f.html

Kori Ellis
10-19-2005, 12:25 AM
I guess all those people who thought Duncan was going to be quiet about it are wrong.
:)

HB22inSA
10-19-2005, 12:26 AM
Wait, wait, wait.

Stay in the lockerroom???!!!

Now Duncan is overreacting to this. It's not like you have to wear it for 8 hours. I'm very disappointed in Duncan's reaction on this, especially taking into account his stature in the League.

I'd expect that from Iverson, but not from Duncan.

We're talking about clothes. Suck it up already.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-19-2005, 12:27 AM
Tim Duncan posses a level of Confidence and Power that can only be dreamt of.

spurs=bling
10-19-2005, 12:27 AM

"I think it's a load of crap," Duncan said. "I understand what they're trying to do with the hats and do-rags and jerseys and stuff. That's fine. But I don't understand why they would take it to this level. I think it's basically retarded.

Duncan said he might choose to stay in the locker room on nights he isn't playing.

i'm speechless

usckk
10-19-2005, 12:29 AM
I am very disappointed that Duncan isn't cooperating.

NuGGeTs-FaN
10-19-2005, 12:34 AM
gee it must be a tough life getting paid millions to play ball and then being told to wear a suit.......im still ticked off about Camby's comments, its crazy that some of these stars just won't accept it.

Its good the NBA is getting more professional, Rugby Union players wear suits alot and its a good refelction on the game. Nothing wrong with wanting the players to look professional off the court/field..........

Rugby League players on the other hand, they look dodgy and casual all the time and it also refelcts on them. Alot of them have no respect for rules etc, they just think they are God's gift to fans and it couldnt be further from the truth

usckk
10-19-2005, 12:39 AM
I agree. As long as the dress code is reasonable, just do it. I got to a public high school in TN, and they just recently adopted a new stringent dress code. Here are some details:
-shirts must be tucked in
-no logos bigger than a quater
-no stripes on pants
-no jackets can be worn inside

Remember now, this is a high school. Instead of complaining, I just follow the rules. Its really not bad a all after awhile. Its not like NBA player can't afford new clothes

pkulonghorn
10-19-2005, 12:40 AM
everyone who's ever had to comply with a dress code knows it's bullshit. it just get's tiresome. and then you realize it's fucking pointless. how in the fuck does the sport of basketball benefit from the players' attire? f stern. he's just trying to de-gorrillafy the nba. it won't work. i don't care how you're dressed, when you get arrested for weed possesion/fighting/violating gun laws/whatever, you're still a piece of shit animal. your attire makes no difference.

usckk
10-19-2005, 12:42 AM
everyone who's ever had to compy with a dress code knows it's bullshit. it just get's tiesome. and then you realize it's fucking pointless. how in the fuck does the sport of basketball benefit from the players' attire? f stern.
They just want a better image.

Marcus Bryant
10-19-2005, 12:43 AM
It's not like professional dress in the US is limited to suit and tie for men nowadays.

usckk
10-19-2005, 12:43 AM
It's not like professional dress in the US is limited to suit and tie for men nowadays.
Yeah, and that's why the NBA isn't forcing players to wear them. Just something nice.

Marcus Bryant
10-19-2005, 12:48 AM
Well, the NBA is forcing players to 'dress up' while most of professional America is dressing down. I mean, if you can wear shorts and sandals to a white collar job, who cares what some athletes wear to a game? I know I don't.

DesiSpur_21
10-19-2005, 12:51 AM
Go Timmy.

I am a bit suprised Timmy actually spoke out but then when a crap BS rule like this is made , you've got to speak up.

IMO, i don't think there is any survey associated with this rule. It's a bunch of crap cocked up by NBA to target a particular section and saying "dressing like them is evil" and "dressing like us is sane".

I am sorry but NBA seems to be communicating the message "Dressing determines professionalism" which is totally wrong. It's just happened that a bunch of corporates started it that way and it's wrong to think that it should be the baseline for other professionals.

There will be customer visits in my company as well and they seem to okay with me dressing jeans and t-shirt.
NBA officials job is to take NBA to the corporate world to generate money - let them go with the dress code which is appealing to the business people.
Players job is to show up good performance on the court and relate to fans off of it with their attitude. Kids will be more happy to see Duncan dressing like a guy who is out on shopping rather than dress up like a guy going to an office.

usckk
10-19-2005, 12:53 AM
We need a Battle Blog on this.

Dingle Barry
10-19-2005, 12:57 AM
A ban on players speaking publicly would go much further than a dress code in helping the league's image.

Dingle Barry
10-19-2005, 12:59 AM
Just to be clear, I meant speaking about anything at all. This certainly includes shitty rap albums and commercials.

usckk
10-19-2005, 12:59 AM
Basically, the NBA just don't want the hip-hop look.

HB22inSA
10-19-2005, 01:05 AM
Basically they're trying to cover up the "thugness" factor brought onto the League by the Incident in Detroit.

Dingle Barry
10-19-2005, 01:06 AM
We all know that jeans = hip hop music

DesiSpur_21
10-19-2005, 01:10 AM
Basically they're trying to cover up the "thugness" factor brought onto the League by the Incident in Detroit.

"thugness" comes from dressing baggy or do-rag? That's 100% BS.

Howb't well dressed Enron mgmt being thugs?

MannyIsGod
10-19-2005, 01:16 AM
Duncan is being a baby. If you want the title of professional then act professionaly. Almost all of us have an aspect of our job we don't like very much.

Kori Ellis
10-19-2005, 01:18 AM
If you want the title of professional then act professionaly.

He does act professionally. He just doesn't want to dress "professionally" for the business world when he's a basketball player.

MannyIsGod
10-19-2005, 01:22 AM
He's not just a basketball player. Being a member of a team in the NBA goes much farther than that. A lot of the NBA is marketing, and marketing is all about image. Most professional workplaces have a simple dress code that you must ahere to.

I could really go either way on the dress code. I'm not a big fan but I don't think it is a bad idea either. I do, however, think Duncan's threat to stay in the locker room is bullshit. He cashes an NBA check why can't he adhere to NBA policy?

But I really don't want to see him in street clothes at all this year - dressed up or not. :lol

Kori Ellis
10-19-2005, 01:24 AM
I have one question. It says that when players are leaving the arena that the players can wear neat warmup suits issued by the team but they can't wear athletic shoes. So they need to wear dress shoes with them? :lmao

Some details need ironing out.

pkulonghorn
10-19-2005, 01:29 AM
Duncan is being a baby. If you want the title of professional then act professionaly. Almost all of us have an aspect of our job we don't like very much.

First, he's a basketball player. Professionalism is defined by how he plays basketball. Nobody gives a fuck what he wears. And as for "Almost all of us have an aspect of our job we don't like very much," well, almost all of us aren't the best basketball player in the world. So you're comparison eats this guy's choad: :elephant

Kori Ellis
10-19-2005, 01:29 AM
A lot of the NBA is marketing, and marketing is all about image.

I get that.

But I don't see how Iverson in a suit will fool anyone into think that he's never broken the law or been involved in any thuggish activities.

And I don't see how Duncan in jeans, a button down shirt and Timberlands tarnishes his image.

Is the corporate America that they are marketing to so easily fooled by clothing?

Kori Ellis
10-19-2005, 01:32 AM
And I believe that some players have in their endorsement contracts with shoe companies that they must wear their shoes/apparel at media, publicity events. So now the players will be breaching their endorsement contracts by wearing dress shoes, etc.

pkulonghorn
10-19-2005, 01:35 AM
He's not just a basketball player. Being a member of a team in the NBA goes much farther than that. A lot of the NBA is marketing, and marketing is all about image. Most professional workplaces have a simple dress code that you must ahere to.

I could really go either way on the dress code. I'm not a big fan but I don't think it is a bad idea either. I do, however, think Duncan's threat to stay in the locker room is bullshit. He cashes an NBA check why can't he adhere to NBA policy?

But I really don't want to see him in street clothes at all this year - dressed up or not. :lol

Okay, now that I've seen this. Marketing is not in fact all about image. It's all about fulfilling the existing need or desire of a consumer in the most effiecient way, which in this case is the desire to watch an oustanding b-ball player ruin the competition's shit. Also most workplaces do in fact have a dress code. in the NBA it's a FUCKING UNIFORM. If I remove my suit jacket on the way to my car, and my boss says some shit to me, I staple his weiner to his throat. That NBA players should just deal with it is boiled varmit.

Your last point actually makes a little bit of sense. The NBA is a company that pays its employees, so TD has to comply, or else he faces a fine. He's simply stating that, between these two choices he'll (maybe--we don't know yet) take the fine. His money, his choice.

MannyIsGod
10-19-2005, 01:40 AM
I have one question. It says that when players are leaving the arena that the players can wear neat warmup suits issued by the team but they can't wear athletic shoes. So they need to wear dress shoes with them? :lmao

Some details need ironing out.
:lol Wingtips and warmups. Nice. It'll be like that old Jordan commercial.

MannyIsGod
10-19-2005, 01:42 AM
Okay, now that I've seen this. Marketing is not in fact all about image. It's all about fulfilling the existing need or desire of a consumer in the most effiecient way, which in this case is the desire to watch an oustanding b-ball player ruin the competition's shit. Also most workplaces do in fact have a dress code. in the NBA it's a FUCKING UNIFORM. If I remove my suit jacket on the way to my car, and my boss says some shit to me, I staple his weiner to his throat. That NBA players should just deal with it is boiled varmit.

Your last point actually makes a little bit of sense. The NBA is a company that pays its employees, so TD has to comply, or else he faces a fine. He's simply stating that, between these two choices he'll (maybe--we don't know yet) take the fine. His money, his choice.
How many marketing positions have you held? I've held one for a fortune 500 company and there are many things that go into the image of a business you are not taking into consideration.

But, go ahead and staple your weiner to your throat. If my boss is signing over checks worth 8 million a year I take a small portion of that and buy a jacket, tuck in my shirt, and check my medalion in my locker.

MannyIsGod
10-19-2005, 01:44 AM
I get that.

But I don't see how Iverson in a suit will fool anyone into think that he's never broken the law or been involved in any thuggish activities.

And I don't see how Duncan in jeans, a button down shirt and Timberlands tarnishes his image.

Is the corporate America that they are marketing to so easily fooled by clothing?
Absolutely. If the general public weren't mindless drones who fall for subliminal marketing tricks I'd see no value in this. But the fact is they do.

America - and maybe the rest of the world too - forms perception off of the most shallow of things. I can definetly see players dressing in this manner making a difference.

Kori Ellis
10-19-2005, 01:45 AM
check my medalion in my locker.

Not in your locker. In your CAR. No medallions, t-shirts, sneakers, or anything else to and from your car. :)

MannyIsGod
10-19-2005, 01:45 AM
And I believe that some players have in their endorsement contracts with shoe companies that they must wear their shoes/apparel at media, publicity events. So now the players will be breaching their endorsement contracts by wearing dress shoes, etc. Interesting. I wonder how that is going to work out.

The new Adidas Duncan Loafer?

MannyIsGod
10-19-2005, 01:46 AM
Not in your locker. In your CAR. No medallions, t-shirts, sneakers, or anything else to and from your car. :)
:lol

Some car theif that jacks Jax is going to be rich then. :lol

Kori Ellis
10-19-2005, 01:46 AM
I can definetly see players dressing in this manner making a difference.

Making a difference how? You actually think they'll get more money from this? Or you think the minds of corporate execs will just be more at ease because they think there's no 'gangstas' in the NBA.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-19-2005, 01:47 AM
First, he's a basketball player. Professionalism is defined by how he plays basketball. Nobody gives a fuck what he wears. And as for "Almost all of us have an aspect of our job we don't like very much," well, almost all of us aren't the best basketball player in the world. So you're comparison eats this guy's choad: :elephant

ROFL!!!

xcoriate
10-19-2005, 01:47 AM
I'd make a point of wearing the scummiest suits I could find in the dodgiests op shops.

Seriously thought Kori raises a good point about the endorsements. Some players are getting paid a hell of a lot to waer a certain shoe/shirt to media after the game. I wouldnt want to forgo that so I could wear clothes that apparently have to power to elevate Iverson to sainthood.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-19-2005, 01:48 AM
Ray Lewis could start wearing suits every day but it wouldnt change the fact that he killed 2 people

MannyIsGod
10-19-2005, 01:48 AM
Making a difference how? You actually think they'll get more money from this? Or you think the minds of corporate execs will just be more at ease because they think there's no 'gangstas' in the NBA.
I think in the long run this will generate more money for the NBA. If from nothing else, satisfying sponsors who want the "thug" image gone. But I think it generaly improves the perception people have about the NBA.

I wonder if there were focus groups and studies that were factored into this decision. Perhaps there were specific sponsors putting a lot of pressure on Stern to make something happen. Or perhaps Stern just gets a woody from enacting his authority.

xcoriate
10-19-2005, 01:49 AM
You think players will ever be sponsored by suit companies.

Starting at PF and dressed by Armani - TIM DUNCAN!

MannyIsGod
10-19-2005, 01:50 AM
Its not about making any specific player look like a Saint. Yeah, no one is going to all of a sudden fall in love with Iverson because he wears a nice suit, but it goes way beyond a small group. Its about improving the image of the entire NBA product.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-19-2005, 01:50 AM
I think in the long run this will generate more money for the NBA. If from nothing else, satisfying sponsors who want the "thug" image gone. But I think it generaly improves the perception people have about the NBA.

I wonder if there were focus groups and studies that were factored into this decision. Perhaps there were specific sponsors putting a lot of pressure on Stern to make something happen. Or perhaps Stern just gets a woody from enacting his authority.

I think the sponsors will not rest until each black players skin is painted white.

MannyIsGod
10-19-2005, 01:51 AM
I think the sponsors will not rest until each black players skin is painted white. You're right about that. If sponsors could have it their way they'd rather not have black people in the NBA.

MannyIsGod
10-19-2005, 01:51 AM
You think players will ever be sponsored by suit companies.

Starting at PF and dressed by Armani - TIM DUNCAN! I know this was a joke, but..

If I was in the NBA, I'd have my agent knocking on those doors.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-19-2005, 01:52 AM
What did Jim Rome have to say about this subject?

DesiSpur_21
10-19-2005, 02:03 AM

IMO it's the latter case. Stern is getting too dictatorial.

mathbzh
10-19-2005, 02:39 AM
What does a player risk if he doesn't respect the dress code?

If it is only about money, I am convinced this dress code will not be respected.

A company will sponsor a guy and ask him to wear hip-hop suits and gold chains. "Reebook... I am what I am". Same thing Jordan/Nike did with the air jordan colors about 20years ago.

texbumTHElife
10-19-2005, 03:19 AM
The NBA is a company and a multi billion dollar a year business. Every other business of that stature has stringent dress codes for all work engagements. I dont lile the way the NBA went about it but there is no arguing with it. It is their business and IMO the image does need to be cleaned up.

mathbzh
10-19-2005, 04:29 AM
War on the ground (pacers-pistons), rape stories, drug affairs and so on, degrade NBA image much more than a gold chain. You can't suspect Duncan or Nash of being bad boys! Let them live and dress as they want.

Finally, with the actual lack of great stars/personalities in the league, I don't think it is a good idea to create this dress code. I don't want to see the league as a clone army.

fonzy16
10-19-2005, 05:10 AM
If you look at fashion industry you can buy baggy army pants for like 300 $ or jeans for 700$. or you can get a chep suit from 130$.It's not about money or suit... the issue is personal freedom. I think we should be proud of Timmy.

ShoogarBear
10-19-2005, 05:11 AM
Screw each and every one of you who spews about how right it is the players have do this but are too hypocritical to say anything about the owners.

Kori Ellis
10-19-2005, 05:29 AM
I think this is a very good read (as most of Cuban's blogs are). He explains a lot about how the dress code came about and a lot of other interworkings of his team/the league. This thread isn't for bashing of Cuban or the Mavs. (Or correcting Cuban's typos). I just thought it was a nice read that you all might be interested in.
http://www.blogmaverick.com/

The NBA Dress Code
Posted Oct 18, 2005, 5:03 PM ET

Im sure most people think I would be against a dress code of any kind in the NBA. Im not. I think every team should have the option of having one , or not. Every team has an image that it wants to present to its community and its customers, and that image should be cultivated on a proactive, rather than a reactive basis.

I also understand completely why Commish Stern felt the need to establish a dress code. Contrary to popular belief, the dress code wasnt in response to a problem with any players, it was in response to problems with owners.

Unfortunately we have gotten to the point where some, but not all, owners, or which ever executive is in charge of the team, have lost the ability to communicate with their players. In a nutshell, they dont talk to their players. Communication is a slap on the back if they see them after the game or at a team function. Communication might be a message via the General Manager asking him to sign something for a son or daughter of a friend. Its sad, but true.

Its awful hard to get to know a player if you have never spent any time with them. Thats not to say that every owner has to be best friends with the players, or the President of the team has to go out to dinner with them every week. But what does have to happen is that someone who represents the business side of the team has to be able to sit and talk to players and do their best to get to know the player at least a little bit. Only then can they come to an understanding of whats expected or needed from the player and by the player from the team.

Its amazing to me that this is really only a problem in professional sports. In “regular” business, even on the business side of the Mavs, I am very confident that I can trust my managers to maintain relationships with all of our employees. When there is a corporate initiative, we know how to work through any trouble spots and to learn as an organization how to overcome problems, whether internal or external.

Those skills dont exist everywhere in the NBA. For many teams, I dont even want to say most teams, if the team wants to try something different , they are truly afraid of how their players, particularly their stars might respond. Its the teams that are afraid of their players that forced David Stern into creating a Dress Code for players.

Its funny how the media likes to talk about the fundamentals of the players on the court being lacking, the real lack of fundamentals is in the teams’ executive suites. When a team is unable or afraid to communicate their message or iniative to their front office or players, or when they know they have a problem they are afraid or unable to deal with, they ask the Commissioner to create a league wide edict. This is a convenient out for the teams. Its not their fault that the players have to do this, its the league’s fault. To the Commissioners credit, he knows he can easily take the hit for something so simple in concept.

Unfortunately there isnt much the league can do to legislate against lousy team management. Its there and its not going anywhere. But as in any business, the business is only as strong as it weakest link.

Which takes us back to the dress code.

The league requires each team to do a business of basketball presentation. They give us a nice little powerpoint to work from. Its pretty good, but I prefer to have as open a discussion about the business of the Mavs and the league as I can.

For our meeting last week, I went over the basic economics of the team. All the way down to money we make from the arena, money I get from other sources and the tax benefit i get from the operating loss the Mavs show. I offered to sit down and go through the books in detail with any of them. As I have in the past with some of them.

I went through the economics of the amnesty from the luxury tax and why we did what we did with Fin.

Then we had the important discussion. We talked about how critical the relationship each of them has with our fans and our advertisers. That their financial success was directly related to our ability to connect to the people who pay our bills, the fans and our corporate customers.

We then discussed how that led to the upcoming dress code. I explained that a couple corporate customers of the league (this isnt a problem with our Mavs corporate customers) were uncomfortable with the appearance of some players. That unfortunately, in those cities, they didnt feel comfortable having a discussion like this and that their ownership didnt feel comfortable asking those players to work with the teams for the best of the league. Since the teams couldnt deal with it, they had asked the league to step in and deal with it.

At that point several players asked questions about what I thought the dress code would be. I told them that I was pretty sure that the league would prevent any jewelry being worn on the outside of clothing, but that beyond that it would be business casual attire. But not suits or sportcoats. I asked everyone if they were ok with that. To a man, every single one shook their head ok.

Then Josh Howard spoke up with a great idea. Why not go to a fashion designer that specializes in nicer clothes and ask them to work with us. Kind of give us a designer look that the team could adopt. We do it with sneakers, uniforms and workout gear, why not for this. Everyone would be watching, so it woudl be a great marketing opportunity for everyone. He threw out some names and all the guys were voicing their approval. So they put me on a mission. Hopefully I can come through. (Feel free to email me if you are a designer in case the current deal falls through :)

Then I asked the guys if they would be willing to spend an extra few minutes before every game, home and on the road signing some autographs. Jason Terry was all over the idea. He wanted specially made JET wristbands to hand out. Some guys wanted to be able to sign pictures in advance and hand them out right when they went out to shootaround so they could stay as close to their normal routine as possible. I was cool with that. Again, to a man, with Dirk and Stack and JET being the impetus they all got behind it

We discussed that the more we did as a team to establish a Dallas Mavericks identity, not only would it be better business for them and the team, but it also meant that the we could control our own destiny. That as the team that set the example, we could do things that we liked, rather than waiting for the league to tell us what to do.

The funny thing about the signing is that for our first 3 preseason games on the road, our guys signed pictures at the hotel, took pictures and sharpees in hand and went out on the court to hand them out. (yes, we want to do this on the road and at home). Unfortunately there was hardly anyone at those games 75 to 90 minutes before tipoff, so there were some lucky fans who got lots of signed pictures. We still have some fine tuning of the program to do, and there will never be enough time to make every fan happy, but I think its going to work out great.

But now I am here in Dallas and the guys are in Detroit. Im sure im going to hear about the sports coat thing. Hopefully the designers we are talking to have a line of sports coats. Or better yet, I will be able to show the league the Mavs dress code, and they will be fine with it. Thats going to be my job.

The reality is that sports coats on the bench sounds good, but its not a good idea. The league knows i feel this way. A minimum salary rookie makes more money than most of America, and we all have to buy our own clothes for work, but not many of us have to have specially tailored clothes because we are 6’8. Those arent cheap.

Not many of us have to work in an environment where what we where to work every day is going to be shown on TV, and now because of this dress code, commented on and discussed. Its going to be awful expensive for minimum contract players. And what are they going to do about the NBDL ? Sports coats there as well ?

While the lack of management skills may be the underlying problem that led to the dress code, its the inevitable discussion of the dress code by the media that makes it a wrong place, wrong time mistake.

Will the media in their “Lets talk about the easiest thing to talk about” approach, talk about anything other than the dress code for the forseeable future ?

I have already gotten more interview requests about this than i have about players, teams, games , entertainment or anything related to the product we put on the floor. This is ALL we are going to hear about for months.

How many cameras are going to be pointed to the bench area and not the floor when regular season games start ? how many plays are going to be missed in game as commentary goes on about what a player is wearing. And then as players get hurt durnig the year, every time its the first time out of uniform for a player, there is going to be a fashion watch.

Think it will be over by April ? Not a chance. Some reporter will be there with this question “A.I. , I know its April and the playoffs start in 2 weeks, but this is your first trip to our fair city. What do you think about the dress code”. Lets all hope that A.I. gives us a “Dress Code…. Dress Code.. its the playoffs around the corner and all you can talk about is a Dress Code ..” Hurt ‘em Answer.

But wait , there is more.

To compound the problem, when they probably thought they were going to mitigate it, the crack marketing team at the NBA puts out the release for what is unquestionably the best program the NBA has EVER introduced on the same day as the dress code is released.

The NBA CARES global out reach initiative. $100 Million Dollars to charity. 1 MILLION HOURS of hands on service by players for charitable causes. Its absolutely , positively brilliant. The first thing the NBA has done where I sat there and asked myself why I hadnt thought of it first and suggested it. Its an amazing program that had it been released without all this dress code nonsense, would have gotten loads of great coverage. Coverage that would have gone a long way towards helping those few sponsors who dont understand, that the NBA has great guys who really do care.

So why in the world release it today ? What is going to be written about tomorrow, the dress code or NBA Cares ?

In the questions I have gotten today, it was asked as a single … and oh yeah, what do you think about NBA CARES..by ONE reporter. Thats it. And what is talk radio talking about.. The Dress Code with all the speculation about whether racism or some other nefarious logic is behind it. Just what we dont need.

We have the worlds greatest game. The worlds best athletes. The most entertaining product in person and on TV. We are 2 weeks before the start of the season. What is everyone talking about ?

And finally, Im sure people will ask what Im going to wear to our games. Well I would consider wearing a sports coat, but i dont own one. So i guess the only way I would buy one would be if I could cover it with logo ads from sponsors. A lot of logo ads from sponsors. Think the 1 million dollar homepage covered. Feel free to post any and all bids in the comments section

Or maybe Ill just wear a speedo.. With a Mavs logo and an MFFL shirt of course

RashoFan
10-19-2005, 05:51 AM
I liked this article....here are some excepts with my thoughts to go along with the text....

Then Josh Howard spoke up with a great idea. Why not go to a fashion designer that specializes in nicer clothes and ask them to work with us. Kind of give us a designer look that the team could adopt. We do it with sneakers, uniforms and workout gear, why not for this.

Armani anyone?

The reality is that sports coats on the bench sounds good, but its not a good idea. The league knows i feel this way. A minimum salary rookie makes more money than most of America, and we all have to buy our own clothes for work, but not many of us have to have specially tailored clothes because we are 6’8. Those arent cheap.

Not many of us have to work in an environment where what we where to work every day is going to be shown on TV, and now because of this dress code, commented on and discussed. Its going to be awful expensive for minimum contract players. And what are they going to do about the NBDL ? Sports coats there as well ?

Good Point

While the lack of management skills may be the underlying problem that led to the dress code...

Quite Possible

How many cameras are going to be pointed to the bench area and not the floor when regular season games start ? how many plays are going to be missed in game as commentary goes on about what a player is wearing. And then as players get hurt durnig the year, every time its the first time out of uniform for a player, there is going to be a fashion watch.

Visions of Joan Rivers and her daughter are popping in my head., commenting on Fab or Drab...

But wait , there is more.

To compound the problem, when they probably thought they were going to mitigate it, the crack marketing team at the NBA puts out the release for what is unquestionably the best program the NBA has EVER introduced on the same day as the dress code is released.

The NBA CARES global out reach initiative. $100 Million Dollars to charity. 1 MILLION HOURS of hands on service by players for charitable causes. Its absolutely , positively brilliant.

LOVE IT

... Im sure people will ask what Im going to wear to our games. Well I would consider wearing a sports coat, but i dont own one. So i guess the only way I would buy one would be if I could cover it with logo ads from sponsors. A lot of logo ads from sponsors. Think the 1 million dollar homepage covered. Feel free to post any and all bids in the comments section

Or maybe Ill just wear a speedo.. With a Mavs logo and an MFFL shirt of course

Now THAT is gonna give me nightmares

Not a fantastic post from me...but then again it is almost 6am.... :lol

exstatic
10-19-2005, 06:39 AM
Basically, the NBA just don't want the hip-hop look.

I have to agree with that, and ask one question: who the fuck does the NBA think buys most of their shit? Hip hop has made NBA merchandising absolutely EXPLODE over the last 10-15 years.

Manny, I kind of agree with you, but if you have a problem with a dress code, you can always got to another more casual company. As MB says, they are out there. The NBA players don't have that option.

Kori - any word on penalties yet? Monetary or possibly suspensions?

I wonder what Stern would do if EVERY player ignored this, or even dressed down, showing up for interviews in baggy jeans, jerseys, sandals and sunglasses?

xcoriate
10-19-2005, 06:45 AM
meh, good read.

Say what you will Cuban knows whats going on.

RashoFan
10-19-2005, 06:51 AM
^
Here I thought he was some rich, dumb jackass....But it appears he has a brain and uses it.

DesiSpur_21
10-19-2005, 06:54 AM
Great Blog.

I wish NBA Execs could be more transparent as Cuban is. At least try to sell what outcome NBA is expecting out of this dress code issue - fans deserve to know the logic behind all these.

Pathetic Owners. If you can't run your business with authority, then get the hell out of it rather than jacking up to Stern to solve your problems.

NBA CARES is truly a great initiative and it's sad NBA just offsetted ths positive thing with the dumb dress code enforcement.

DesiSpur_21
10-19-2005, 07:00 AM
^
Here I thought he was some rich, dumb jackass....But it appears he has a brain and uses it.

Mark has always been an intelligent businessman. He is the one who has guts to stand up and speak if Stern and the NBA are imposing stupid rules. True some times he acts like a jack, but most owners don't even connect with players and fans.

His blogs are truly awesome - Recently I liked his blogs on the decision to cut fin, katrina relief, investing in stock markets etc.

Dario
10-19-2005, 07:00 AM
Tim is just protesting for his own rights on his own way, its not like there werent any dress codes before, but now they are just stupid and he is prepared to show that by not complying and staying in locker room. Its the matter of personal choice, which is taken away from the players and i think its plain wrong to do whatever it takes to please upper class bussines guys, but to please average fan, without who NBA wouldnt even exist.

ZStomp
10-19-2005, 07:01 AM
"I have no problem dressing up (business) casual because I know I'm a nice-looking guy," Indiana guard Stephen Jackson said. "But as far as chains, I definitely feel that's a racial statement. Almost 100 percent of the guys in the league who are young and black wear big chains. So I definitely don't agree with that at all."

:lmao

I went through the thread before posting and I'm surprised nobody reacted to this! This is what got my attention! :lol

As for Duncan's comments...I, too, am surprised. Just suck it up already man. It's no big deal.

DesiSpur_21
10-19-2005, 07:08 AM
I have to agree with that, and ask one question: who the fuck does the NBA think buys most of their shit? Hip hop has made NBA merchandising absolutely EXPLODE over the last 10-15 years.

True.

I wonder what Stern would do if EVERY player ignored this, or even dressed down, showing up for interviews in baggy jeans, jerseys, sandals and sunglasses?

Stern has to step down if that happens and higly doubt it - It's not gonna workout because

1. some are okay with dressing up
2. some dumasses, wifebeaters, "pot"ters think their image goes up if they dress up
3. some are dumass idoits like sjax, rip who dress real ugly - the other end of the spectrum
4. Then there are guys like Timmy, Nash who are good role models who like to dress casual.

Since #4 are in minority Timmy might end up wearing a so called decent shirt and shoes OR he'd prefer wearing a mask when he enters/leaves the arena/team bus :lol :lol

DesiSpur_21
10-19-2005, 07:11 AM
Tim is just protesting for his own rights on his own way, its not like there werent any dress codes before, but now they are just stupid and he is prepared to show that by not complying and staying in locker room. Its the matter of personal choice, which is taken away from the players and i think its plain wrong to do whatever it takes to please upper class bussines guys, but to please average fan, without who NBA wouldnt even exist.

Yes.

Let Stern, owners and corporate america try to fill the arenas with white-collared people :blah :blah

smeagol
10-19-2005, 08:01 AM
Hope he said that stuff about staying in the locker room beacuase of the heat of the moment. It would be sad if he really did put it into practice.

Sec24Row7
10-19-2005, 08:04 AM
Timmy will end up complying because he will realize that his presence on the bench if he is injured is more valuable to his teammates and the team than his hate of sportcoats.

But seriously this is BS.

How many people do YOU know that make 15 million + a year that are FORCED to wear something they don't want to to work?

I can't think of anyone.

All you people that say "well I have to wear such and such to work, i have a dress code they can get over it" are so stupidly replaceable its funny.

You have no pull because you aren't special. They HAVE pull because they are and you can't deal with it.

Dress codes in the NBA are stupid and unprecidented for people ANYWHERE making that kind of money.

batman2883
10-19-2005, 08:18 AM
ha ha hah a Timmy standing up to the boss is the most brave thing i have ever seen

LilMissSPURfect
10-19-2005, 08:27 AM
Go TIMMAY!!! "free yo mind"

spurs_fan_in_exile
10-19-2005, 08:34 AM

Manny, I kind of agree with you, but if you have a problem with a dress code, you can always got to another more casual company. As MB says, they are out there. The NBA players don't have that option.

Kori - any word on penalties yet? Monetary or possibly suspensions?

Right on. Walking around the University of Houston I can't count how many throwback jerseys I see on a daily basis. Do you really think those things would be bought if guys like Rip Hamilton and AI weren't wearing them all the time? I understand what Stern is trying to do, I just think that he's going about it in a senseless way. If anything, I think this is just going to alienate some fans. For as much as I hate the way Iverson dresses, I know there are plenty of fans out there who respect him for it and those of us who don't like it can go watch well dressed stars give their interviews. The appeal of the diversity is like that of a three ring circus. If you don't like the clowns then watch the elephants. Or you can attend Stern's Big Top and watch a bear on a unicycle for three straight hours.

GoSpurs21
10-19-2005, 08:39 AM
It's not like professional dress in the US is limited to suit and tie for men nowadays.Marcus Bryant has been seen many times this fall season wearing the latest blouse, skirt and man purse. Not that there's anything wrong with it.

conversekid
10-19-2005, 08:40 AM
I am very disappointed that Duncan isn't cooperating.
Ya... timmy should just follow the company the line... don't speak up...

What a load of crap... they play basketball! They aren't business execs in some high rise... I agree with dictating their oncourt dress - tuck in shirts, etc, etc... but when their on the bench? What a load of crap. I'm glad Duncan spoke up.

conversekid
10-19-2005, 08:42 AM
All you people that say "well I have to wear such and such to work, i have a dress code they can get over it" are so stupidly replaceable its funny.

They DO have a dress code... Shorts, Jersey, Tennies, Socks, and an optional head band... why should they have a dress code when they aren't playing? Because some pen head thinks they should?

easjer
10-19-2005, 08:44 AM
I know I'm in the minority, but I *like* Mark Cuban, even if he does need a haircut and a new wardrobe. He made his money and went out and did what he wanted - bought a team, and wholeheartedly supports them.

I think he explains this very, very, very well. I had not heard of the NBA Cares initiative, but I think he's totally, completely 100% right. THAT is the sort of thing that will change the NBA image, and it's buried under the superficial dress code.

The NBA really is barking up the wrong tree.

Spurminator
10-19-2005, 08:53 AM
So confusing how we assign virtue to expensive, uncomfortable clothing.

... Not to mention the utterly meaningless term "professionalism".

MiNuS
10-19-2005, 09:11 AM
It's about time Stern put a stop to the "thug" look.It was getting out of hand and making the NBA look dirty.
Who started the whole "thug" look??? A.I. .... yes,Iverson!

Kip Fanatic
10-19-2005, 09:19 AM
If a company offers me a job that I love to do that will pay me around $6-10 million a year (9 months if you think about it), put me up in the best hotels this country has to offer when I travel, and pay me $6-10 million a year (9 months if you really think about) I am not going to complain when they tell me, "we need you to wear a suit for a few hours a day to keep this job."

Let's keep it real folks. If any of you were offered a job with the above-mentioned benefits, you would not complain one bit. If you would, you would be one of the dumbest if not the dumbest person on the face of this world.

Professional atheletes are spoiled. That's all it is.

MiNuS
10-19-2005, 09:23 AM
If a company offers me a job that I love to do that will pay me around $6-10 million a year (9 months if you think about it), put me up in the best hotels this country has to offer when I travel, and pay me $6-10 million a year (9 months if you really think about) I am not going to complain when they tell me, "we need you to wear a suit for a few hours a day to keep this job."

Let's keep it real folks. If any of you were offered a job with the above-mentioned benefits, you would not complain one bit. If you would, you would be one of the dumbest if not the dumbest person on the face of this world.

Professional atheletes are spoiled. That's all it is.
I'd sleep in a damn suit!

Kip Fanatic
10-19-2005, 09:25 AM
I'd sleep in a damn suit!

That's all I'm saying.

ducks
maybe the spurs will lose the some class image and actually get marketed by the nba now

Solid D
Is David Stern going to clean up the 29 clubs' PA announcers at courtside?

Exhibit A: John Mason, hat, jersey, chains, & "B-B-B-B-B-buh buh Ben Wallissssssss!"

http://www.nba.com/media/pistons/john_mason.jpg

ducks
10-19-2005, 09:27 AM
Mavs rookie free-agent forward Rawle Marshall has a two-year contract but only one year is guaranteed -- albeit at $398,762. He said, however, that he doesn't want to buy new clothes, especially since he won't receive his first full paycheck until Nov. 15.

"I'm living off my per diem [$102 a day] right now, so it's a tough situation," Marshall said. "But I've already got a special situation, because my uncle wears the same size as me. The rookies coming in now, we don't have money to buy some of that stuff."

what about this guy who is making 102 a day

suits are not cheap imo!

td4mvp3
10-19-2005, 09:28 AM
the dress code is a load of crap. certainly fortune 500 companies have dress codes, but it's about more than image and marketing. it's environment and situation. you don't go to the office with baggy jeans and whatnot because of the expectations and the nature of the business. the nba is a different beast entirely in which the main workers do, already, wear uniforms. that is the appropriate attire for their trade. telling them what to wear when not working (i.e., playing) is just stupid. it changes nothing about the image of the game because that image is crafted outside the court, on commercials, in newspapers and during the times that the players are outside the bounds of the dress code. thus, what gets headlines is kobe's rape trial, and he was not wearing a suit and even if he had it would have meant squat. the only thing this does is make the league look ignorant. this isn't high school, where clothing can make a difference in distracting students and show loyalyty to some gang that can cause disruptions. no one in the stands is going to be so overwhelmed by the attire that they stop watching the games or drinking their beers or buying the jerseys being marketed. this isn't the normal business establishment in which suits and business casual are the norm (and even then, that isn't the norm everywhere). this is just retarded and duncan nailed it.

ploto
10-19-2005, 09:28 AM
Reminds me of the year Steve Kerr wore the powder blue tux he bought off e-bay to the Tux n Tennies. I say they all wear leisure suits! :lol

Kori Ellis
10-19-2005, 09:32 AM
Mavs rookie free-agent forward Rawle Marshall has a two-year contract but only one year is guaranteed -- albeit at $398,762. He said, however, that he doesn't want to buy new clothes, especially since he won't receive his first full paycheck until Nov. 15.

"I'm living off my per diem [$102 a day] right now, so it's a tough situation," Marshall said. "But I've already got a special situation, because my uncle wears the same size as me. The rookies coming in now, we don't have money to buy some of that stuff."

suits are not cheap imo!

I thought about that too. The guys who are going to be on the inactive list sitting on the bench to start the season are likely the guys who are on minimum contracts. And with their first paycheck coming on Nov 15, they'll probably be dressing pretty shabby from Nov 1 - 14.

And you are right .. sports coats/suits for guys who are that tall aren't cheap - they have to be customized.

easjer
10-19-2005, 09:32 AM
Timmy can say and do what he wants. I for one respect him, others don't.

Does he get fined for not showing up to the bench if he's on reserve or injured? Does he get fined for staying in the locker room? Seriously, cause if he doesn't, he just neatly sidesteps the issue altogether.

I think Cuban made a great point about the lower wage players and how this adversely affects them. Now Timmy doesn't qualify, but we're not talking about $130 suit from K&G - they don't quite make the pants long enough. . . they are forced to buy and tailor expensive suits, because that's all that will fit them.

Timmy D and Steve Nash may dress casually, but they generally have a neat appearance, and are good role models - much better than Kobe, who generally wears a suit. I'll take that any day.

Professionalism is about an attitude - it's in how you speak and act. Professionalism varies between fields. I find Tim Duncan to be one of the most professional athletes in basketball, because he quietly goes about his business, taking responsibility when he has done something wrong, not blaming his teammates or the coaches or the refs, not bashing other teams, not posturing after a big play or in front of the cameras. That is professionalism in basketball - it has everything to do with how one acts on the court. And off the court as well, in interviews, in charity events, around the public.

Further, if the goal is really to eradicate the gangsta image or as some are suggesting, the black image, what about the tats and fros and cornrows? Are those next? I can't imagine corporate America/sponsers being comfortable with those hairstyles. . . And when are they going to suspend people for being arrested? Three convictions (rape, drugs, drunk driving, murder charges, anything) and you're out? Oh, right - that's all part of personal life, not business, so they can't regulate it. You would think they would realize that attire might fall under the same category, but they can manipulate that, so they do.

Sad that it's so superficial, and they think it'll make it better.

Sadder that a major intiative that really would improve their image is buried irretrievably under this story.

Kip Fanatic
10-19-2005, 09:35 AM

suits are not cheap imo!

So from now to Nov. 15 he is making $102 a day. That likes if one of us was working eight hours a day and making about $12 and some change per/hour? Right? The dress code goes into effect Nov. 1st. So for two weeks this guys will make $1428. You're telling me he can't find a few suits for about $150-200.

C'mon. Come up with a better argument. After two weeks he will start making a lot more money. We're talking six figures here.

Kori Ellis
10-19-2005, 09:37 AM
You're telling me he can't find a few suits for about $150-200.

If someone is about 6'6 or more, I don't think a suit is that cheap. But they'll do what they have to do. They are about to get paid.

greywheel
10-19-2005, 09:38 AM
And I believe that some players have in their endorsement contracts with shoe companies that they must wear their shoes/apparel at media, publicity events. So now the players will be breaching their endorsement contracts by wearing dress shoes, etc.

Aren't they creating a marketing opportunity for the shoe companies? How much would they pay Duncan to take a $10,000 fine for wearing their tennis shoes during a media event and have it mentioned in every recap of the game?

ducks
10-19-2005, 09:38 AM
who knows if he has good credit?
and I would be SHOCKED if his suit would be less then $200 because he is so tall and his arms are long. THEY HAVE TO BE MADE JUST FOR HIM! THEREFORE HIS PRICE WENT UP.
ALSO this is the 19. SOOOOOOOOOOO CAN he have one done by the first of nov 1?

Kori Ellis
10-19-2005, 09:40 AM
who knows if he has good credit?
and I would be SHOCKED if his suit would be less then $200 because he is so tall and his arms are long. THEY HAVE TO BE MADE JUST FOR HIM! THEREFORE HIS PRICE WENT UP.
ALSO this is the 19. SOOOOOOOOOOO CAN he have one done by the first of nov 1?

Most likely I'd think they'd borrow a sportcoat from another player or whatever until they get paid.

easjer
10-19-2005, 09:45 AM
But they shouldn't have to borrow one. What is inappropriate about wearing team gear on the bench or in interviews or to and from the bus? Nice jeans or warm-ups with a Team shirt or jersey? Not allowed under the dress code, but advertising their team.

That's silly.

And will someone tell me why players have to shower and dress in 'nice' clothes for interviews, when it would be quicker if they could wear team gear? I just don't see the point of eliminating that.

DesiSpur_21
10-19-2005, 09:53 AM
This issue reminds me of an interesting scenario that happened some 10 years ago in India. The official sponsors for the cricket world cup '96 was Coca-Cola, which was virtually non-existent in India at that time. Pepsi were ruling the market and most cricket stars were endorsing Pepsi.

You know who won the whole deal? Pepsi, by spending less money - They ran ADs on all non-sports channels saying "there is nothing official about it!". It was such a huge hit. World cup organisers had to eat their own crow :lol :lol

I really wish AI, Timmy and the rest who oppose dress code really get a chance to endorse casual/do-rag/baggy stuff (which connects to people instantly rather than a wifebeater endorsing Armani).

:lol :lol

Hey "There is nothing official about it".

I hope Timmy and the rest win this battle.

Walton Buys Off Me
10-19-2005, 09:57 AM
You do realize this is a direct result of Ron "I have two active brain cells" Artest and his KFC-eating pal Stephen Jackson's actions last year in Detroit right? The league is still trying to deal with that fiasco from a public relations standpoint and this is just one of David Stern's tentacles extending to do just that. Personally, I could care less what players wear to games, after all, the guys that are sitting on the bench in street clothes every night are total jabronies to begin with. Who cares what Tracy Murray is wearing while waving a towel?!

As for Marcus Camby's comments about how the league should give players an allowance to pay for the clothes- it's comments like this and Spreewell's from last year that sometimes make it very difficult to watch basketball and support the NBA. These guys make MILLIONS of dollars to play a goddamn sport and the fact they would complain about money redefines pathetic. Guess what Marcus, the people that pay your salary- us fans make NOWHERE near what you make and pay for the clothes we wear to work with our little salaries you dumb shit. Go back to being an injury-prone wannabe Center and don't open your mouth when it requires your brain to compute anything more intellectually challenging than the lyrics to newest 50 Cent track.

Fucking total dipshit.

Was that racist Mr. Jackson?

And I am dissapointed in Tim as well for lowering himself into Allen Iverson, Stephen Jackson, Marcus Camby, Latrell Spreewell territory with those comments about staying in the lockeroom. Tim- you make 17 MILLION DOLLARS A YEAR TO PLAY FUCKING BASKETBALL- you don't do anything relevant in the bigger picture. You are about as significant to this world as a bumper sticker. Just wear the damn clothes and shut you fucking mouth.

Marcus Bryant
10-19-2005, 10:00 AM
Duncan could have a larger contract if the owners didn't fuck him. The league is there because of the players as much as it is because of the owners.

Who gives a shit if Duncan wears what he wants to a game? Christ, you're watching the man run around in shorts and a wifebeater on the court.

Kip Fanatic
10-19-2005, 10:07 AM
You do realize this is a direct result of Ron "I have two active brain cells" Artest and his KFC-eating pal Stephen Jackson's actions last year in Detroit right? The league is still trying to deal with that fiasco from a public relations standpoint and this is just one of David Stern's tentacles extending to do just that. Personally, I could care less what players wear to games, after all, the guys that are sitting on the bench in street clothes every night are total jabronies to begin with. Who cares what Tracy Murray is wearing while waving a towel?!

As for Marcus Camby's comments about how the league should give players an allowance to pay for the clothes- it's comments like this and Spreewell's from last year that sometimes make it very difficult to watch basketball and support the NBA. These guys make MILLIONS of dollars to play a goddamn sport and the fact they would complain about money redefines pathetic. Guess what Marcus, the people that pay your salary- us fans make NOWHERE near what you make and pay for the clothes we wear to work with our little salaries you dumb shit. Go back to be an injury-prone wannabe Center and don't open your mouth when it requires your brain to compute anything more intellectually challenging than the lyrics to newest 50 Cent track.

Fucking total dipshit.

And I am dissapointed in Tim as well for lowering himself into Allen Iverson, Stephen Jackson, Marcus Camby, Latrell Spreewell territory with those comments about staying in the lockeroom. Tim- you make 17 MILLION DOLLARS A YEAR TO PLAY FUCKING BASKETBALL- you don't do anything relevant in the bigger picture. You are about as significant to thsi world as a bumper sticker. Just wear the damn clothes and shut you fucking mouth.

I was going to same something like this, but without the curse words, but the pretty much sums it up. That argument about rookies and guys who aren't making millions is retarded. After my senior year, I wanted a job to save some money to put a down payment on a new car.

I found a job that paid me $9.75/hour. I worked 40 hours a week. Do the math. I had to wear dress slacks, dress shoes, dress shirts, and a tie. Did I complain? No. Did I like it? No. However, I did what I had do to get paid so put a down payment on a car I wanted. Those shirts, shoes, slacks, and ties weren't cheap, but I had to do it. Its called the real world. These players need to give me a break.

ducks
10-19-2005, 10:09 AM
I am not saying they should not buy it. But everyone thinks all the nba players make millions so they should have no problem buying the clothles. that is is not true

MiNuS
10-19-2005, 10:10 AM

As for Marcus Camby's comments about how the league should give players an allowance to pay for the clothes- it's comments like this and Spreewell's from last year that sometimes make it very difficult to watch basketball and support the NBA. These guys make MILLIONS of dollars to play a goddamn sport and the fact they would complain about money redefines pathetic. Guess what Marcus, the people that pay your salary- us fans make NOWHERE near what you make and pay for the clothes we wear to work with our little salaries you dumb shit. Go back to being an injury-prone wannabe Center and don't open your mouth when it requires your brain to compute anything more intellectually challenging than the lyrics to newest 50 Cent track.

Fucking total dipshit.

And I am dissapointed in Tim as well for lowering himself into Allen Iverson, Stephen Jackson, Marcus Camby, Latrell Spreewell territory with those comments about staying in the lockeroom. Tim- you make 17 MILLION DOLLARS A YEAR TO PLAY FUCKING BASKETBALL- you don't do anything relevant in the bigger picture. You are about as significant to this world as a bumper sticker. Just wear the damn clothes and shut you fucking mouth.
I agree with you,except without all the cussing in your post.

Kip Fanatic
10-19-2005, 10:11 AM
Duncan could have a larger contract if the owners didn't fuck him. The league is there because of the players as much as it is because of the owners.

Who gives a shit if Duncan wears what he wants to a game? Christ, you're watching the man run around in shorts and a wifebeater on the court.

Duncan isn't the owner though. He is a NBA Player. When he makes as much money as the owners do and decides to buy a franchise he can do the same to others. The owners are in the business to make money. What's wrong with that? That's what all owners of companies do.

Answer me this Marcus. If you had a job offer that would pay you around $3-7 million to do what you love for about nine months and put you up in the best hotels when you traveled, but required you to wear suits 3-4 days out of the week for a few hours, would you take it?

Marcus Bryant
10-19-2005, 10:13 AM
Mark Cuban dresses like someone's little brother. Maybe the league should start imposing dress codes on the owners? Holt Cat always likes to relax courtside with the tie off. That's a no-no, Mr. Holt. We wouldn't want anybody to get the wrong impression about the game, now would we?

angel_luv
10-19-2005, 10:14 AM

I'm with Timmy.

Duncan said he might choose to stay in the locker room on nights he isn't playing. [/B]

Here's hoping this is never an issue! = )

angel_luv
10-19-2005, 10:15 AM
This eally just goes to show how much politics and sports do not mix.

Kori Ellis
10-19-2005, 10:16 AM
Bottom line is that this dress code was supposedly part of the CBA negotiations, so there's nothing to do about it at this point.

I personally would have made the dress code a little more relaxed - buttondown shirt, tucked in, no sportcoat if you are inactive on the bunch. And probably no restrictions on what you are wearing when you coming in and out of the arena, etc.

If the league is hell bent on cleaning up the NBA image that is supposedly upsetting the corporations, then how about getting a little more strict on other things .. steeper fines/suspensions for arrests, drug violations, etc. I mean really .. how often do vets get tested for drugs? Once a season? And if it's a marijuana violation, what happens? Nothing but being put on private probationary period til the next time?

It's funny that a player can get arrested and not miss any playing time or get a fine, but God forbid Tim Duncan wear a Sean John T-Shirt and Timberlands.

angel_luv
10-19-2005, 10:18 AM
I one hundred percent agree with you.

Kip Fanatic
10-19-2005, 10:18 AM
Mark Cuban dresses like someone's little brother. Maybe the league should start imposing dress codes on the owners? Holt Cat always likes to relax courtside with the tie off. That's a no-no, Mr. Holt. We wouldn't want anybody to get the wrong impression about the game, now would we?

You didn't answer me. You know you would take that opportunity if it presented itself to you.

DesiSpur_21
10-19-2005, 10:19 AM
This eally just goes to show how much politics and sports do not mix.

Unfortunately Stern is trying ot mix'em. He seems to be sticking to an agenda rather than use his head to arrive at a sensible decision on it.

As Timmy put it, it's just as retarded as it can get.

Marcus Bryant
10-19-2005, 10:20 AM
Duncan isn't the owner though. He is a NBA Player. When he makes as much money as the owners do and decides to buy a franchise he can do the same to others. The owners are in the business to make money. What's wrong with that? That's what all owners of companies do.

That's great. Duncan is also the best player in the game. It's not like the Spurs or League can terminate him and then bring in someone else who can fill his role. That's precisely why this isn't a case where management can dictate to the 'employees' what they can and cannot do. The players have power whether you like it or not. They are the ones who made this league. Finding a bunch of stiffs who want to fund it didn't make the game. The players did. Dr.J, Wilt, Ice, Magic, Bird, Barkley, Shaq, DRob, TD, and of course, the greatest of them all...MJ.

Answer me this Marcus. If you had a job offer that would pay you around $3-7 million to do what you love for about nine months and put you up in the best hotels when you traveled, but required you to wear suits 3-4 days out of the week for a few hours, would you take it?

Yeah but it's not as if the league was that way when the players joined it.

angel_luv
10-19-2005, 10:22 AM
I like Mark Cuban. He is eccentric at times but a good thinker and isn't afraid to speak his mind.
I admire that in a person.

DesiSpur_21
Bottom line is that this dress code was supposedly part of the CBA negotiations, so there's nothing to do about it at this point.

I personally would have made the dress code a little more relaxed - buttondown shirt, tucked in, no sportcoat if you are inactive on the bunch. And probably no restrictions on what you are wearing when you coming in and out of the arena, etc.

If the league is hell bent on cleaning up the NBA image that is supposedly upsetting the corporations, then how about getting a little more strict on other things .. steeper fines/suspensions for arrests, drug violations, etc. I mean really .. how often do vets get tested for drugs? Once a season? And if it's a marijuana violation, what happens? Nothing but being put on private probationary period til the next time?

It's funny that a player can get arrested and not miss any playing time or get a fine, but God forbid Tim Duncan wear a Sean John T-Shirt and Timberlands.

It's sad the NBA execs and team owners just couldn't arrive at this kind of sensible thing.

For those who are bashing Timmy, he never crossed the line.

MiNuS
I guess if Duncan stays inside the locker room we can start to call him
"Dungeon Timmy"

Kori Ellis
The players of the 80's were partying on cocaine and pot 24/7.

But at least they were wearing suits :tu

Marcus Bryant
10-19-2005, 10:23 AM

...or listen to his iPod before a game.

It's such a crock, this dress code. People like to knock players for dressing down to 'work' but then they are the ones wearing jeans, shorts, sandals and whatever else at the office when they don't have to meet with clients.

Marcus Bryant
10-19-2005, 10:24 AM
You didn't answer me. You know you would take that opportunity if it presented itself to you.

I answered you.

You know, we need to institute a 'forum code' in here.

mookie2001
10-19-2005, 10:26 AM
i think another factor is the heat in south texas
its fucking harsh to make someone wear a suit and tie in april, may, june, july

DesiSpur_21
10-19-2005, 10:26 AM
The players of the 80's were partying on cocaine and pot 24/7.

But at least they were wearing suits :tu

And Shawn Kemp started a whole new trend :lol :lol

MiNuS
10-19-2005, 10:27 AM
I like Mark Cuban. He ie eccentric at times but a good thinker and isn't afraid to speak his mind.
I admire that in a person.
I agree. I respect Cuban "the brain" for business but not the owner for the Mavs. I like his enthusiasm on life.Very admirable.

angel_luv
10-19-2005, 10:32 AM
I think Mark made some excellent and insightful points.

" When a team is unable or afraid to communicate their message or iniative to their front office or players, or when they know they have a problem they are afraid or unable to deal with, they ask the Commissioner to create a league wide edict. This is a convenient out for the teams. "

The following was brought up in another thread.

"The reality is that sports coats on the bench sounds good, but its not a good idea. The league knows i feel this way. A minimum salary rookie makes more money than most of America, and we all have to buy our own clothes for work, but not many of us have to have specially tailored clothes because we are 6’8. Those arent cheap."

Unfortunately

"This is ALL we are going to hear about for months.

" The NBA puts out the release for what is unquestionably the best program the NBA has EVER introduced on the same day as the dress code is released.
The NBA CARES global out reach initiative. $100 Million Dollars to charity. 1 MILLION HOURS of hands on service by players for charitable causes. Its absolutely , positively brilliant.
Its an amazing program that had it been released without all this dress code nonsense, would have gotten loads of great coverage. Coverage that would have gone a long way towards helping those few sponsors who dont understand, that the NBA has great guys who really do care."

angel_luv
10-19-2005, 10:37 AM
Said Ginobili: "I can understand the point of why they did it. The thing is there's always a gray area. Are these dress shoes? Are these jeans nice?

"I know many of the players won't like it because it's not what they do. But at least it's not what they thought it was going to be, like jackets all the time and suits.

I just saw this. I have been wondering what Gino thought.

Marcus Bryant
10-19-2005, 10:38 AM
Let's drop the pretense here. The league is concerned about what certain sponsors (who market to 'Middle America') think about the image of its players.

That's not going to change if you have a tattooed and headband wearing Allen Iverson wearing a suit. If someone thinks he's a thug, that's not going to change their mind.

What a dumb fucking policy.

samikeyp
10-19-2005, 10:39 AM
Cuban raises good points. I don't see the need for a dress code but I don't have a real problem with it either. I still don't like some things Cuban does but I do applaud him for being active in league issues and the devotion he has for his team.

Kip Fanatic
10-19-2005, 10:39 AM
Freaking hypocrites. You all would wear suits for a few hours for several days out of the week for the job you loved so much that paid you millions of dollars a year and that provided the best hotels for you when you traveled.

A job that takes care of you, your family, your children, their children, your friends, and possibly their friends for life. A job that lets you afford a 5-6 thousand square foot home, a Hummer on 22's, a Mercedes for the wife, a boat for the dad, and so on. Don't freaking lie.

Marcus Bryant
10-19-2005, 10:42 AM
I wear shorts and sandals to the office. Am I a bad person?

Kori Ellis
10-19-2005, 10:42 AM
Freaking hypocrites. You all would wear suits for a few hours for several days out of the week for the job you loved so much that paid you millions of dollars a year and that provided the best hotels for you when you traveled.

A job that takes care of you, your family, your children, their children, your friends, and possibly their friends for life. A job that lets you afford a 5-6 thousand square foot home, a Hummer on 22's, a Mercedes for the wife, a boat for the dad, and so on. Don't freaking lie.

No one is saying that they wouldn't comply. None of the players are even saying that they won't comply (except maybe Timmy hiding in the lockerroom).

But it doesn't mean that it was a correct or logical thing to implement.

Dressing a thug in a suit doesn't make him a saint.
It makes him a thug in a suit.

Dressing a saint in a throwback doesn't make him a thug.
It makes him a saint in a throwback.

MiNuS
10-19-2005, 10:45 AM
for sure you're not in the public eye.You're company doesn't give a rat whether you breathe or don't.

Kip Fanatic
10-19-2005, 10:46 AM
No one is saying that they wouldn't comply. None of the players are even saying that they won't comply (except maybe Timmy hiding in the lockerroom).

But it doesn't mean that it was a correct or logical thing to implement.

I understand what you are all saying. I really do. I hate dressing up to go to work. However, its what I have to do. This job provides me with what I need to survive and enjoy life. Why complain? Its your job. Period. Whether it doesn't change A.I as a person or not doesn't matter. The NBA is an employer and set some rules about dressing up. Big Deal. They can do that because they are in charge. They pay the salaries. If the players don't like it, find another employer who will pay you as much doing what you love.

Kori Ellis
10-19-2005, 10:47 AM
for sure you're not in the public eye.You're company doesn't give a rat whether you breathe or don't.

Nice assumption.

ShoogarBear
10-19-2005, 10:47 AM
Freaking hypocrites.

The only hypocrites around here are those who think the players should be "thankful" for the right to play basketball and just bend over to the dress code, but say nothing about the owners.

I guess its those salt-of-the-earth owners like Cuban, Shinn, and Holt who do all the hard work for the league while those lazy gansta players just sit around in their thug clothes and reap the benefits.

angel_luv
10-19-2005, 10:49 AM
This thread is a vacuum. It keeps sucking me in.

Looks like Stern's really opened Pandora's box.

ShoogarBear
10-19-2005, 10:50 AM
Cuban doesn't say whether HE will abide by a dress code, however.

Kori Ellis
10-19-2005, 10:51 AM
He's already gone on record saying that he absolutely would not.

ShoogarBear
10-19-2005, 10:52 AM
He's already gone on record saying that he absolutely would not.

There's a word for people like that.

Kori Ellis
10-19-2005, 10:53 AM
There's a word for people like that.

He's against the dress code even for the players but they have to comply now. Did you read the blog?

Marcus Bryant
10-19-2005, 10:54 AM

The office is certainly open to visitors, including our clients.

Kip Fanatic
10-19-2005, 10:55 AM
The only hypocrites around here are those who think the players should be "thankful" for the right to play basketball and just bend over to the dress code, but say nothing about the owners.

I guess its those salt-of-the-earth owners like Cuban, Shinn, and Holt who do all the hard work for the league while those lazy gansta players just sit around in their thug clothes and reap the benefits.

They should be thankful as should the owners. As well as the commissioner. I am sure they are all thankful. They are doing what they love and get paid lots of jack for it.

The owners should have a dress code as well. Even more so. I am not against that.

ShoogarBear
10-19-2005, 10:57 AM
The owners should have a dress code as well. Even more so. I am not against that.

Congratulations. As far as I know, you're the first person in a million posts on this subject to actually step up and say that.

I disagree with you, but you're at least being fair and consistent.

Kip Fanatic
10-19-2005, 11:01 AM
Congratulations. As far as I know, you're the first person in a million posts on this subject to actually step up and say that.

I disagree with you, but you're at least being fair and consistent.

That's fine. That's what makes this so interesting. Hearing everyone's point of view.

Summers
10-19-2005, 11:04 AM

Exactly! That's what I've thought all along. This isn't the 50s anymore; are people really still hung up on the idea that the clothes make the man? I have a feeling the people Stern is trying to impress (middle America, white America, whatever) don't watch basketball and aren't going to start watching it just because Ray Allen is always color-coordinated and wears Armani.

MiNuS
10-19-2005, 11:05 AM
The office is certainly open to visitors, including our clients.
then I assume you work somewhere where that attire is acceptable,somewhere near the beach??or at Schlitterbaun??? or near a pool?? or in a hot wearhouse??
For sure you're not a public role model.(doctor,accountant,nurse,teacher,principal,c ity mayor,).

Let us not forget the words many of these millionaire NBA stars have said again and again 'the NBA is not only a game but also business' ..when it comes to contracts all they say is "business,business". Okay,so now Stern says dress up for business boys and they cry???

Kori Ellis
10-19-2005, 11:07 AM
then I assume you work somewhere where that attire is acceptable,somewhere near the beach??or at Schlitterbaun??? or near a pool?? or in a hot wearhouse??
For sure you're not a public role model.(doctor,accountant,nurse,teacher,principal,c ity mayor,).

He has his MBA and works in a firm related to finance. Great assumptions though :)

Marcus Bryant
10-19-2005, 11:08 AM
Actually I work in a Class A office building and have a gorgeous view of the surrounding area.

So I couldn't possibly have a white collar job?

Summers
10-19-2005, 11:10 AM

Let us not forget the words many of these millionaire NBA stars have said again and again 'the NBA is not only a game but also business' ..when it comes to contracts all they say is "business,business". Okay,so now Stern says dress up for business boys and they cry???

My doctor is a fat, white-haired man with coke-bottle glasses who wears jeans, cowboy boots and plaid shirts to the office. Best doctor I've ever had. I love that he's responsive to my phone calls and really friendly and got me pregnant within 2 months. (That sounds wrong, doesn't it? :lol ) Who gives a crap what he wears to his office?

TOP-CHERRY
10-19-2005, 11:11 AM

Think it will be over by April ? Not a chance. Some reporter will be there with this question “A.I. , I know its April and the playoffs start in 2 weeks, but this is your first trip to our fair city. What do you think about the dress code”. Lets all hope that A.I. gives us a “Dress Code…. Dress Code.. its the playoffs around the corner and all you can talk about is a Dress Code ..” Hurt ‘em Answer.
I hadn't thought about that. That's gonna suck if suddenly everyone's attention is on how the players dress or who isn't complying, instead of focusing on the game going on.

Shelly
10-19-2005, 11:12 AM
My doctor is a fat, white-haired man with coke-bottle glasses who wears jeans, cowboy boots and plaid shirts to the office. Best doctor I've ever had. I love that he's responsive to my phone calls and really friendly and got me pregnant within 2 months. (That sounds wrong, doesn't it? :lol ) Who gives a crap what he wears to his office.

My husband wears scrubs all the time (usually with a lab coat, though) from different hospitals that he has privilages and tennis shoes. The only time he is dressier is if it's cold out or he has to give a presentation.

angel_luv
10-19-2005, 11:13 AM
I hadn't thought about that. That's gonna suck if suddenly everyone's attention is on how the players dress or who isn't complying, instead of focusing on the game going on.

V-Bookie on who will become the Joan Rivers of the NBA = ) :lol

Summers
10-19-2005, 11:14 AM
My husband wears scrubs all the time (usually with a lab coat, though) from different hospitals that he has privilages and tennis shoes. The only time he is dressier is if it's cold out or he has to give a presentation.

Your husband is obviously a shitty doctor. :lol

;)

samikeyp
10-19-2005, 11:17 AM
Has this been addressed? I haven't seen anything but I may have missed it. I would imagine some fines would be assessed but will that be an effective deterrent?

Discuss.

MiNuS
10-19-2005, 11:18 AM
He has his MBA and works in a firm related to finance. Great assumptions though :)I really don't care how marcus dresses. I have friends with MBA's that are bankrupt and I also saw them in blue jeans and t-shirts at their business but
I also know none-college business owners that earn hundreds of thousands
that dress well in slacks,polished shoes,and pressed shirts to the office.

I also know a doctor that goes to work in blue jeans and boots while he delivers babys. (only in Texas!)
:)

Kori Ellis
10-19-2005, 11:21 AM
I think that they'll be some league reps making sure that players are in compliance. Though there's no official word, I think they would get a warning and then later fines. And unless the fines are huge, none of the players who make average NBA salary are going to care.

I can see that they can easily check on the players on the bench and at other media events, but I don't see how they will monitor what players are wearing to and from their cars into the arena. Most arenas have underground parking for their players and they can easily drape off the tunnels so that no one can see them walking from their cars to the locker room.

DesiSpur_21
10-19-2005, 11:21 AM
Add to all these, I am not okay with neither with a baggy dressed AI nor a well dressed Shaq or KMart shitting bleepers out of their mouths during interviews.

As much good as Stern has done for the NBA, he seems to be taking his autocratic powers to the limit and we all know it's not gonna last long.

IamZardoz
10-19-2005, 11:22 AM
Less interested in the dress code and wish our team would focus on winning a game (yeah, I know, preseason).

Kori Ellis
10-19-2005, 11:22 AM
Stern didn't do this without the owners or players permission.

PM5K
10-19-2005, 11:25 AM
Way to set the example for your son Tim. This game puts at least seventeen million dollars a year in your pocket, God forbid you should have to dress like a professional....

Marcus Bryant
10-19-2005, 11:26 AM
Well, I'm not bankrupt. :)

Shelly
10-19-2005, 11:28 AM
Way to set the example for your son Tim. This game puts at least seventeen million dollars a year in your pocket, God forbid you should have to dress like a professional....

Tim has a daughter.

Summers

WTF? :lol Now Tim's a horrible father for not dressing well?

MiNuS
Well, I'm not bankrupt. :)
but you don't appear on my TV selling my kids tennis shoes that cost $200!:lol

DesiSpur_21
10-19-2005, 11:29 AM
Stern didn't do this without the owners or players permission.

But he is the ultimate authority on all matters, doesn't he?

Just because the players and their reps were blindsided, it doesn't mean that you suck up to the weak owners who can't control their organizations.

Kori Ellis
10-19-2005, 11:31 AM
Just because the players and their reps were blindsided

Where did you get they were blindsided? It was part of the negotiations this summer. If they didn't want it, they didn't have to agree to it.

PM5K
10-19-2005, 11:32 AM
Tim has a daughter.

I don't pay that much attention, either way same point...

Pistons < Spurs
10-19-2005, 11:35 AM
Initially, they will/should get fined.
But if a player starts to acquire more and more fines for not dressing right.......I fully expect to see some 3 to 5 game suspensions for failure to comply with the dress code.

And I believe I also read something about the teams being penalized aswell. Not sure how they'd go about that, but I expect Stern and the League will have stiff penalties to discourage everyone.

DesiSpur_21
10-19-2005, 11:40 AM
Where did you get they were blindsided? It was part of the negotiations this summer. If they didn't want it, they didn't have to agree to it.

The reaction from some players sounded that way.

ShoogarBear
10-19-2005, 11:46 AM

You are setting the bar for stupidity in argument.

Everything else that Tim Duncan is doesn't matter because he's not dressing the way you want him to.

(I'll ignore that you got the gender wrong, I guess that's consistent with the rest of the post.)

PM5K
10-19-2005, 11:49 AM
You are setting the bar for stupidity in argument.

Everything else that Tim Duncan is doesn't matter because he's not dressing the way you want him to.

(I'll ignore that you got the gender wrong, I guess that's consistent with the rest of the post.)

I didn't think it was a great point when I made it, but what interests me the most is that if every Spur already wore suits to games, then everyone here would be for the dress code, but because Tim dresses like he's got no place special to be everyone here is against it....

Sportcamper
10-19-2005, 11:51 AM
Yea...Way to go Duncan...He probably has autographed posters of Stephen Jackson & Ron Artest Pummeling fans hanging in his living room... :rolleyes
http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/041120/041120_ron_artest_hmed6p.hmedium.jpg
http://www.marca.com/marca_usa/nba/rincon_quiroga/fotos/stephen_jackson150x200.jpg

Mavs<Spurs
10-19-2005, 11:54 AM

Apparently according to some of the posters, you are a bad person, perhaps even a gangsta and certainly unprofessional. On the other hand, the people you work for don't seem to mind (like most of corporate America). Is it really the case that posters here feel the right to impose their values on you, feeling that the dress code that they would assign you is more morally binding than the one that your company does? If like most people working in corporate America you have business casual dress right now in your current office, what would we anticipate happening to that dress code if the office were moved to a gymnasium? Wouldn't any reasonable dress code conform to the nature of the "office"? Does the fact that they work in a gymnasium have no relevance upon the clothes they wear? Or should everybody at Sea World in July in San Antonio also a uniform with a sports coat? What about Schlitterbahn? If corporations allow business casual in the office, why is it more appropriate to have a formal dress code for those who work in a gymnasium? Next thing you know, we'll start asking construction workers to wear a suit and a tie in 105 degree heat!
Tim was right and all those posters who are attacking Tim are not using common sense.
Tim and Manu seem to simply be saying that they went too far with the dress code, making it too stringent (as well as artificial). If they had made the dress code more reasonable, I doubt that either of them would have objected. Everyone already knows that Tim and Manu are class people and people already know which players aren't.

MiNuS
I find it funny that Bowen can beat the shit out of Iverson on the floor and then 10 minutes later he's all suited up ready to answer all the reporters questions.

It always cracks me up that the most hated Spurs defender can look like a WallStreet stock broker within a few minutes.It must be the hair.

ShoogarBear
I didn't think it was a great point when I made it, but what interests me the most is that if every Spur already wore suits to games, then everyone here would be for the dress code, but because Tim dresses like he's got no place special to be everyone here is against it....

Um, wrong.

Some of us are against it because it's just plain wrongheaded, and the motivation behind it is waaaaay suspicious, to say the least.

Baseball players dress like shit. I wonder when Corporate America will start going after them? Um, like never.

nkdlunch
10-19-2005, 11:56 AM
YEAH Duncan!!! As I said before, it's about COMFORT. Beleive it or not, wearing jackets and dress shoes and crap make some people unfomfortable. What's next??? the WNBA is gonna make them wear high heels???

I'm w/Duncan on this one.

DesiSpur_21
Initially, they will/should get fined.
But if a player starts to acquire more and more fines for not dressing right.......I fully expect to see some 3 to 5 game suspensions for failure to comply with the dress code.

And I believe I also read something about the teams being penalized aswell. Not sure how they'd go about that, but I expect Stern and the League will have stiff penalties to discourage everyone.

Yes. That's how Stern sounded in his press brief (or interview).

No exact figures yet.

Kori Ellis
Pretty soon I'm going to have to start a Dress Code forum.

PM5K
10-19-2005, 11:57 AM
Pretty soon I'm going to have to start a Dress Code forum.

Will a dress code be required to view it, because I ain't putting up with that shit....

Kori Ellis
10-19-2005, 11:58 AM
Will a dress code be required to view it, because I ain't putting up with that shit....

Yeah, you'll have to be donning a throwback and at least 5 carats of ice.

MiNuS
10-19-2005, 11:58 AM
I'm a firm believer of "no shirt,no shoes,no business"

unless you're a lifeguard or table dancer.

polandprzem
10-19-2005, 11:59 AM
I HATE TIM - He doesn't want to dress suit.

Ps. It will be interesting to see how AI will dres the suit how he will wear a tie and in what colors.
The rookies won't get the caps they will get the tie's

Ps2. Killing the indywiduality. Professionalism has nothing to do with the dress (not gangsa btw).
And what money does have in common with the wearing the suit?

It's a damn soprt not a buisiness for many people. I do not think that the young like to see the suit on the players- come on the plyers are not old company men

batman2883
10-19-2005, 12:01 PM
Its a stupid rule, if people wanna dress how they wanna dress why not let them, so what if a person dresses like a "thug" maybe thats his own personal style. What you may consider a thug might be his personal style. I know if i was in the Nba id be rocking the same clothes i wear now with a Jesus piece iced out hanging to my nuts...that doesnt mean im a thug it just means i could dress the way i wanted

MiNuS
10-19-2005, 12:03 PM
Its a stupid rule, if people wanna dress how they wanna dress why not let them, so what if a person dresses like a "thug" maybe thats his own personal style. What you may consider a thug might be his personal style. I know if i was in the Nba id be rocking the same clothes i wear now with a Jesus piece iced out hanging to my nuts...that doesnt mean im a thug it just means i could dress the way i wantedthat Jesus piece iced out hanging to your nuts piece was hilarious!:lol

yet stupid.

angel_luv
10-19-2005, 12:04 PM
This was done badly. The release of false information has gotten everyone riled up.
I am not just blaming the media for this. Stern is guilty as well for doing little to squelch the rumors.

The league could have done a lot to clean up it's image simply by restricting things like do rags, throw back jerseys, and multiple chains and having players wear dress shirts instead of t-shirts while on the bench and making scheduled public apperances.

The sports' coat rule ( among others) is just over kill and negates what could have been good about a dress code.

Sadly, it seems there is no chance for compromise now because no one, on either side, wants to appear weak by negotiating.

batman2883
10-19-2005, 12:06 PM
its the truth, i think the dress code is a stupid, idiotic move, stern is trying to be a damn communist dictator at the head of the NBA....i hope he suffers for this. Dress codes are for fucking middle schoolers and below, personal style is important to a lot of people and he wants to take it away cause he wants people to dress like his old fart ass

Kori Ellis
10-19-2005, 12:06 PM
Sadly, it seems there is no chance for compromise now because no one, on either side, wants to appear weak by negotiating.

There's already been negotiating. The original proposal was much stiffer. What was "leaked" through the media wasn't false information - it was what they were contemplating. What we have now is the negotiated, compromised version.

nkdlunch
10-19-2005, 12:07 PM
I had a dress code in elementary school and was miserable because of it.

batman2883
10-19-2005, 12:08 PM
I think what needs to happen is all the players need to dress the way they want to, and see what the hell happens, he cant punish them all, i mean by protesting their damn right to dress how they feel like it. The guys show up and have to play their asses off every night why shouldnt they be able to show up relaxed in jeans and a shirt??? Why do they have to cater to Sterns stupid rule??? Is Stern the one running his ass off every night??

angel_luv
10-19-2005, 12:10 PM
I think the locker room should be a free dress area.
After all it is a private changing/ meeting room for the team that outsiders have to be allowed into.

kris
10-19-2005, 12:10 PM

That's garbage.

nkdlunch
10-19-2005, 12:11 PM
I just wish Rodman was still playing. He would straighten out Stern. He would wear a wedding dress to a game or something. I hope some player got those balls to do something funny in protest.

angel_luv
10-19-2005, 12:14 PM
There's already been negotiating. The original proposal was much stiffer. What was "leaked" through the media wasn't false information - it was what they were contemplating. What we have now is the negotiated, compromised version.

You have a much better knowledge of these processes than me.

But it seems like the orderly way to institute company policy is to hash it out privately until something is irrevocably settled on and then make the final draft public.

Kori Ellis
10-19-2005, 12:15 PM
But it seems like the orderly way to institute company policy is to hash it out privately until something is irrevocably settled on and then make the final draft public.

That's what they did.

kris
10-19-2005, 12:19 PM
Billy Hunter probably breezed over this in the negotiations or conceeded to it without even thinking about twice.

Subsection B Article II Dress Code

Blah Blah Blah

Yeah, whatever Stern you can have it, but the players must get 13.5% of all banana sales sponsored by the NBA.

Now Stern has the rediculous guidelines for dress. He has in a very high sense placed significant limitations on the players' personal freedom and expression. To me, you have to do better than to say because we said so because we want to be more professional.

He needs to meet a much higher standard of scrutiny.

Then to those of you Joe Lunchpail's that say you get paid $8,000,000 a year, you get ask to wear a suit, you wear it --- You're missing the point.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
10-19-2005, 12:21 PM
This dress code idea is not just a bad idea, it is a stupid, very stupid idea. Who says what is acceptable to wear? David $tern? Is he an enlightened human being that has the power of decision to tell people what is good to wear and what is "thuggish"? Will he create a comission to decide it composed by top executives from Armani? Why are coats better than t-shirts or jeans? Hitler was always polix-dressed, while Gandhi used to wear something that looked like a bed sheet. So following the dress code logic, Hitler was a much better person, with a better image. This issue is not racial as Stephen Jackson tried to say, but it's about personal freedom. What next? Will Stern dictate what the players should do in their free time?

Kori Ellis
10-19-2005, 12:26 PM
No they don't contradict at all.

They negotiated privately and came up with a solution. Everyone knew that this was a talking point this summer. If the players/owners involved in the negotiations "leaked" or "discussed" what the negotiations were about or if the media just jumped to conclusions, then that's on them. But it doesn't mean that the "business" (the NBA) didn't handle their company policy privately and then release a statement when they were done. That's exactly what they did.

Kori Ellis
10-19-2005, 12:26 PM
Angel you can't delete your post .. now mine doesn't make any sense :lol

easjer
10-19-2005, 12:27 PM

I am opposed to the dress code because I think it's stupid and does not accomplish the purpose they state. I think that if they want professionalism in basketball, they need to stop the vulgar language, the chest thumping, the arguing in the media and with refs, not put Tim Duncan (a paragon of professionalism on the court)in a suit.

I like the way Timmy dresses. I have no problem with dress codes. I think the players negotiated their right to a dress code away in the CBA. But that doesn't mean I agree with the terms of the dress code or the reasons for the dress code.

I think the superficialness of it is what gets me the most - it's dumb. Slapping a fresh coast of paint on a house with a cracked foundation doesn't make it a new and better house, and everyone knows it. It's such an unnecessary transparent move that has done nothing but upset players and fans and raise new allegations of racism in the NBA.

And in the process, caused a truly beneficial intiative to be completely covered in the bullshit of the dress code.

Well done, NBA.

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-19-2005, 12:31 PM
Why is it good enough for the NFL but racist for the NBA?

I haven't seen anyone answer that yet.

BTW, I think this is all a ploy by the Spurs PR folks to help Tim get street cred :lmao

easjer
10-19-2005, 12:32 PM
I am seriously wondering when they are going to start in on hair styles. It absulotely can fall under appropriate attire and appearance. I know some teams have a no headband rule and that other teams have no facial hair rules.

But if the thug/hip-hop/gangsta image is the real issue for the corporates, then when will they outlaw cornrows and fros and hair longer than the collar? Or is that finally hitting too close to racial issues? Because I know those hairstyles make clean-shaven corporate America very very nervous. . .

batman2883
10-19-2005, 12:34 PM
I am seriously wondering when they are going to start in on hair styles. It absulotely can fall under appropriate attire and appearance. I know some teams have a no headband rule and that other teams have no facial hair rules.

But if the thug/hip-hop/gangsta image is the real issue for the corporates, then when will they outlaw cornrows and fros and hair longer than the collar? Or is that finally hitting too close to racial issues? Because I know those hairstyles make clean-shaven corporate America very very nervous. . .

exactly that will be the next thing to go, is fucking having corn rows and dreads....

Kori Ellis
10-19-2005, 12:38 PM
Why is it good enough for the NFL but racist for the NBA?

The NFL doesn't have a rule that players can't wear sneakers when they are leaving/coming to the locker room.

conversekid
10-19-2005, 12:40 PM
God forbid you should have to dress like a professional....

He's NOT a professional! He's a basketball player!... ugh..

PM5K
10-19-2005, 12:42 PM
I'm not great at math, but I believe that Tim Duncan makes something like 200K dollars per game, now if a player has to do some things he'd rather not do for the privilege of being able to make that much money than I don't think that's unreasonable.

I mean this guy makes twice what most people make in a year, and he'll never have to worry about his daughter and his wife, or any of his family for that matter.

He'll never have to worry about his daughter having money to get into college, or having to borrow 800.00 from Jim, and if all he's got to do is wear a sports jacket and some nice shoes, well God Forbid....

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-19-2005, 12:43 PM
Kori, I agree that they need to revise that sneaker rule (especially if they wear the team warmups).

My point was more along the lines of the outrage at even having a dress code. The NFL does, and the players always look well dressed after the games.

All this racist shit just pisses me off, you don't hear Vick or Julius Jones or anyone crying about wearing a suit.

NBA players need to grow the hell up.

Marcus Bryant
10-19-2005, 12:46 PM
The NBA draws a lot of fans because of the originality of its players, both of their game as well as of their personalities. If clothing is not a means of self-expression I don't know what is.

Fuck it, this'll probably blow up this thread but this is about the NBA and its sponsors trying not to lose or win back a lot of white middle aged men who don't feel like spending their jack on a bunch of "thugs".

nkdlunch
10-19-2005, 12:46 PM
All this racist shit just pisses me off,

what are u talking about? It was only that dumb ass Jackson who mentioned racism. Nobody else. And if you gonna go and actually listen to Jackson.....good luck :rolleyes

Marcus Bryant
10-19-2005, 12:47 PM
Fuck it, this is about race. It's about a fan base that consists of a lot of white folks with $$$$ wanting to see those young blacks be put back under control.

PM5K
The NBA draws a lot of fans because of the originality of its players, both of their game as well as of their personalities. If clothing is not a mean of self-expression I don't know what is.

Fuck it, this'll probably blow up this thread but this is about the NBA and its sponsors trying not to lose or win back a lot of white middle aged men who don't feel like spending their jack on a bunch of "thugs".

I don't agree, the NBA was more popular ten years ago and there were considerably less players dressing the way they do now, if any.

The most popular and most marketable player in the history of the game (Jordan) wore suits and ties often...

kris
I'm not great at math, but I believe that Tim Duncan makes something like 200K dollars per game, now if a player has to do some things he'd rather not do for the privilege of being able to make that much money than I don't think that's unreasonable.

I mean this guy makes twice what most people make in a year, and he'll never have to worry about his daughter and his wife, or any of his family for that matter.

He'll never have to worry about his daughter having money to get into college, or having to borrow 800.00 from Jim, and if all he's got to do is wear a sports jacket and some nice shoes, well God Forbid....

Try thinking beyond the fact he makes a lot of money.

Spurminator
10-19-2005, 12:48 PM
The most popular and most marketable player in the history of the game (Jordan) wore suits and ties often...

By his own choice.

Marcus Bryant
10-19-2005, 12:49 PM
I don't agree, the NBA was more popular ten years ago and there were considerably less players dressing the way they do now, if any.

I'd say the league's still considerably popular.

The most popular and most marketable player in the history of the game

..is gone. That's the reason that the game has perhaps taken a hit from the mid-90s.

(Jordan) wore suits and ties often...

He also gambled and cheated on his wife.

navarat
10-19-2005, 12:53 PM
NBA wants a better image with dress code? this is what i dont get so help me out, How in the world a player who dressed nicely in a basketball uni jump on the stand and fight,or two players on the court fiting with each other, or let say a player who comes to the game all dressed up and when a fight brokes out start beating the crap out of each other. dress has nothing to do with this, this is stupid stern crap, who he think he is? saddam?

Spurminator
10-19-2005, 01:01 PM
Speaking of Saddam... He looks like he's really cleaned up his act. Good for him. I'm glad to see he's turned his life around and has become a better, more professional, person.

http://www.thevoiceofreason.com/2004/July/images/saddaminsuitandcuffs.jpg

nkdlunch
10-19-2005, 01:02 PM
He's got bling on his wrist. That's a no-no according to Stern

Spurminator
10-19-2005, 01:02 PM
And chains too. You're right, he's still a thug.

Kori Ellis
10-19-2005, 01:03 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/knicks/stern_030721.jpg

nkdlunch
10-19-2005, 01:04 PM
:lol great picture!

Obstructed_View
10-19-2005, 01:09 PM

In my opinion, the powers that be in the NBA should get a knot in their stomach reading that. He's only their best player and one of their best citizens. I hope he wears what he always wears and dares the league to do something about it.

easjer
10-19-2005, 01:11 PM
Great pics both. That Saddam pic just illustrates perfectly why I think this is stupid.

Kip Fanatic
10-19-2005, 01:11 PM
Fuck it, this is about race. It's about a fan base that consists of a lot of white folks with $$$$ wanting to see those young blacks be put back under control.

^
One of the stupidest posts I have seen. No one is trying to control young Blacks. Its a dress code so that the NBA can appear more professional. That's it. The key word is appear. There are other players in the league who aren't Black. Get over it.

They still make more in one night than what most people make in a year. They still get to go out and buy whatever they want. Live in house(S) they want to live in. Travel wherever they want to travel to. Drive practically any car they want to drive. They can go and do as they please. They aren't under control by any means.

Spurminator
10-19-2005, 01:15 PM
No one is trying to control young Blacks. Its a dress code so that the NBA can appear more professional.

The terms of achieving this so-called "professionalism" are prejudiced in nature.

Marcus Bryant
10-19-2005, 01:20 PM
^
One of the stupidest posts I have seen. No one is trying to control young Blacks. Its a dress code so that the NBA can appear more professional. That's it. The key word is appear. There are other players in the league who aren't Black. Get over it.

The players in the league are 90%+ African-American and young. The dress code was put into effect to deal with a style of dress which is sported predominantly by....young African-Americans. You're naive and ignorant for thinking that the league isn't trying to cater to the tastes of middle-age, middle-class white folks.

Kip Fanatic
10-19-2005, 01:25 PM
The players in the league are 90%+ African-American and young. The dress code was put into effect to deal with a style of dress which is sported predominantly by....young African-Americans. You're naive and ignorant for thinking that the league isn't trying to cater to the tastes of middle-age, middle-class white folks.

So 90%+ of people who watch basketball on TV, buy the shoes they wear, buy the jerseys they wear, buy all the gear associated with the NBA (shirts, caps, wrist bands, head bands, socks, shorts, and etc), go to the games, and so on are White and middle-aged?

Wrong. I live in a neighborhood here in town that has about 40% White residents. I would say 30% Hispanic, 25% African American and the rest Asian. When I go to the community park to play ball, all I see is the African American wearing the Jordans, Lebrons, and so on. I hardly see any White/middle-aged people wearing that stuff.

angel_luv
10-19-2005, 01:27 PM
Angel you can't delete your post .. now mine doesn't make any sense :lol

Just saw this.

I'm sorry for deciding to not be disagreeable! ;)

:lmao :lmao :lmao

easjer
10-19-2005, 01:27 PM
Here is the thing about professionalism though - what is professional in business and in basketball are two different things. What is professional in business and in my job are two different things. Professionalism in basketball should be about playing the game with integrity - meaning: Lose the chest thumping, hollering, screaming at the refs, pushing on the court, rude or childish behavior at calls that don't go your way; stop blaming teammates and/or refs in the media for losses, blowing off prearranged fan events, being rude to fans, being rude to media, ignoring team obligations, excessive cursing; no more drug arrests/convictions, criminal activity, DUI arrests/convictions, rape/abuse/domestic violence/murder charges, multiple paternity suits, bankruptcy issues, illegal possession of guns/steriods/drugs.

These things mark professionalism in basketball, not a fucking sports coat.

Just like I can wear jeans to work, and be fully professional in dealing with prospective students or parents, but wear a suit and be unprofessional by complaining in vulgar language about how other departments on campus suck in front of these people. Trust me when I say that what I wear is not remembered in these instances.

Obstructed_View
10-19-2005, 01:31 PM
A scumbag makes a better presentation in a suit, which is why defendants in criminal trials don't wear do-rags and throwback jerseys. There's billions of dollars at stake, and the players will make their own decisions how to deal with it. It's time for everybody to get the fuck over it.

Kip Fanatic
10-19-2005, 01:33 PM
Here is the thing about professionalism though - what is professional in business and in basketball are two different things. What is professional in business and in my job are two different things. Professionalism in basketball should be about playing the game with integrity - meaning: Lose the chest thumping, hollering, screaming at the refs, pushing on the court, rude or childish behavior at calls that don't go your way; stop blaming teammates and/or refs in the media for losses, blowing off prearranged fan events, being rude to fans, being rude to media, ignoring team obligations, excessive cursing; no more drug arrests/convictions, criminal activity, DUI arrests/convictions, rape/abuse/domestic violence/murder charges, multiple paternity suits, bankruptcy issues, illegal possession of guns/steriods/drugs.

These things mark professionalism in basketball, not a fucking sports coat.

Just like I can wear jeans to work, and be fully professional in dealing with prospective students or parents, but wear a suit and be unprofessional by complaining in vulgar language about how other departments on campus suck in front of these people. Trust me when I say that what I wear is not remembered in these instances.

I agree with you about the chust bumping and all the other crap we see. However, the thing is that its a dress code that is being enforced by the NBA. The players employer. Its that simple. Every employer has their own rules. If you want to work for that employer then follow the rules. Don't take it personal and call it this and that. Its a rule.

If you don't like it, leave. Not only that the Players Association agreed to this. The players are represented by this Association. They should take the problem they have with the dress code to that Association.

Spurminator
10-19-2005, 01:35 PM
Sounds like "If you don't support the President, get out of the country" to me.

NBA Players are not like you and me. If we decide we don't like a rule at work, we can be VERY easily replaced.

If Allen Iverson leaves, the Sixers are fucked, and the NBA will feel it too.

That's the nature of a large professional sports league. It ain't a fucking law firm.

Obstructed_View
10-19-2005, 01:39 PM

NBA Players are not like you and me. If we decide we don't like a rule at work, we can be VERY easily replaced.

That's the nature of a large professional sports league. It ain't a fucking law firm.
It's a labor union. They do what the union agrees to or they go see if the post office is hiring.

MannyIsGod
10-19-2005, 01:40 PM
This is very much about race. They are trying to appeal to a demographic that view the way young African Americans dress and that style.

A lot of factors - and race is a large one - go into marketing.

MannyIsGod
10-19-2005, 01:41 PM
Hey, if the union feels that strongly about it, they can always strike or refuse to live up to the rules. I have a feeling they're not going to do that however, because the request isn't unreasonable.

Spurminator
10-19-2005, 01:42 PM
It's a labor union. They do what the union agrees to or they go see if the post office is hiring.

And the labor union typically listens to the players with the most clout.

We're not talking about Mike Wilks and Mark Madsen complaining here.

Kip Fanatic
10-19-2005, 01:43 PM

You're going to compare the NBA to the US? OK. We're talking about a sport that is a BUSINESS that generates so much money it ain't funny. Not a country. Spare me.

If A.I leaves millions of dollars on the table because he doesn't want to wear a suit a few days out of the week for a few hours then that's his problem. If I work for a company doing what I love, get paid millions of dollars for it, work for only 8-9 months out of the year, travel all over the country for free, stay in the classiest hotels for free, fly in private jets when I travel, and am taken care of for life, I would not complain about dressing up.

When it comes to a player and his contract (FA status, re-signing, etc.) they always say, "its a BUSINESS, I have to do what's best for me and my family" they are all professional about it. Right? However, now that there is a dress code (that's it) in place they don't want to DRESS professional. How convenient.

Spurminator
10-19-2005, 01:44 PM
I don't think the Players will put up much of a fuss beyond complaints and fines. But I do think the NBA will be forced to rethink once some prominent African American leaders get involved in the issue.

easjer
10-19-2005, 01:44 PM
But my point is that it's not a dress code for the sake of safety or unity or professionalism. It's an attempt to spruce up the image of the league. Which is not going to happen because of a change in attire. You want a more professional league - address the REAL issues (you can see my list above).

They are not addressing the real issues. I don't have a problem with dress codes, in general, and if this were only a minor part of a league overhaul and were reasonable (I think the rules on to and from the buses and sports coats are dumb, as are killing sneakers), then I'd be infinitely less bothered by the whole thing.

Instead, they are trying very, very hard to ignore the real issues. They've stupidly stated they did this to appease nervous corporate sponsers (or so I understand, I could be corrected), which is what is giving rise to all the other bullshit.

Obstructed_View
10-19-2005, 01:46 PM
And the labor union typically listens to the players with the most clout.

We're not talking about Mike Wilks and Mark Madsen complaining here.
It's a little late to complain after the fact. It's also not anybody else's fault that Duncan, Jackson and Iverson couldn't be bothered to find out what was going on in the labor negotiations of their own union before it actually was agreed. They are entitled to bitch about it, but it just makes them look stupid. They should know better than to even answer questions about it, but there's a lot that professional athletes should be smart enough not to do.

ShoogarBear
10-19-2005, 01:48 PM
I think the locker room should be a free dress area.

WHAT? YOU WANT THEM TO WEAR DRESSES???

MannyIsGod
10-19-2005, 01:49 PM
It's a little late to complain after the fact. It's also not anybody else's fault that Duncan, Jackson and Iverson couldn't be bothered to find out what was going on in the labor negotiations of their own union before it actually was agreed. They are entitled to bitch about it, but it just makes them look stupid. They should know better than to even answer questions about it, but there's a lot that professional athletes should be smart enough not to do.
A fucking men!!!!

I'm willing to bet money - a whole buck - that Duncan coudln't be bothered to pull away from his xBOX to worry about any dress code.

Kori Ellis
because he doesn't want to wear a suit a few days out of the week for a few hours then that's his problem.

People keep saying this. And just for clarification, there's no suits involved in the dress code. And there is only sportcoats when you are on the inactive list on the bench. Otherwise, you just have to wear a button down or turtleneck shirt or sweater and dress jeans/shoes.

PM5K
A fucking men!!!!

I'm willing to bet money - a whole buck - that Duncan coudln't be bothered to pull away from his xBOX to worry about any dress code.

Har, Har!

Get off Xbox Live and talk to your player rep dip!

Obstructed_View
10-19-2005, 01:50 PM
But my point is that it's not a dress code for the sake of safety or unity or professionalism. It's an attempt to spruce up the image of the league. Which is not going to happen because of a change in attire. You want a more professional league - address the REAL issues (you can see my list above).

They are not addressing the real issues. I don't have a problem with dress codes, in general, and if this were only a minor part of a league overhaul and were reasonable (I think the rules on to and from the buses and sports coats are dumb, as are killing sneakers), then I'd be infinitely less bothered by the whole thing.

Instead, they are trying very, very hard to ignore the real issues. They've stupidly stated they did this to appease nervous corporate sponsers (or so I understand, I could be corrected), which is what is giving rise to all the other bullshit.
The thing is, the league is addressing every issue you mentioned. Players are being required to do more PR, The league is cracking down on profanity, they have the community service program they introduced, they cracked down on substance abuse last year. The dress code is a small, if ineptly handled, part of a collective effort to improve the NBA's image and it's blown up in their face.

Spurminator
10-19-2005, 01:50 PM
You're going to compare the NBA to the US? OK. We're talking about a sport that is a BUSINESS that generates so much money it ain't funny. Not a country. Spare me.

It's Speech. If you can't wrap your head around the connection, spare yourself the humiliation.

If A.I leaves millions of dollars on the table because he doesn't want to wear a suit a few days out of the week for a few hours then that's his problem.

And the NBA's problem too. Which is why he is able to speak out about it and be heard.

If I work for a company doing what I love, get paid millions of dollars for it, work for only 8-9 months out of the year, travel all over the country for free, stay in the classiest hotels for free, fly in private jets when I travel, and am taken care of for life, I would not complain about dressing up.

If you were an irreplaceable asset to your employer, you'd be a lot more demanding. Shit, if I was an "Allen Iverson" to my company, first I'd negotiate a raise, then I'd negotiate flexible hours and dress. What's wrong with that?

IT'S A BUSINESS.

But I really don't care about player inconvenience... I think some of you have pretty lousy arguments about why the players should suck it up and do what Stern tells them, but my main concern has more to do with what this says about our culture.

Mixability
10-19-2005, 01:51 PM
David Stern doesn't care about black people.

PM5K
People keep saying this. And just for clarification, there's no suits involved in the dress code. And there is only sportcoats when you are on the inactive list on the bench. Otherwise, you just have to wear a button down or turtleneck shirt or sweater and dress jeans/shoes.

So basically the way he already dresses so long as he doesn't sprain his ankle again....

It must suck to have to wear slacks, a t-shirt and a sports coat, and make seventeen million dollars a year....

PM5K
David Stern doesn't care about black people.
LOL....

Kori Ellis
10-19-2005, 01:52 PM
they cracked down on substance abuse last year.

How did they do that? As far as I know, there's random testing UP TO 4 times a year (which could mean none). And if you test positive for marijuana, you don't even get fined the first time.

Spurminator
10-19-2005, 01:52 PM
It's a little late to complain after the fact.

Is it?

The issue is gaining momentum.

Kori Ellis
10-19-2005, 01:53 PM
It must suck to have to wear slacks, a t-shirt and a sports coat, and make seventeen million dollars a year....

No t-shirt :)

Marcus Bryant
10-19-2005, 01:55 PM
So 90%+ of people who watch basketball on TV, buy the shoes they wear, buy the jerseys they wear, buy all the gear associated with the NBA (shirts, caps, wrist bands, head bands, socks, shorts, and etc), go to the games, and so on are White and middle-aged?

Wrong. I live in a neighborhood here in town that has about 40% White residents. I would say 30% Hispanic, 25% African American and the rest Asian. When I go to the community park to play ball, all I see is the African American wearing the Jordans, Lebrons, and so on. I hardly see any White/middle-aged people wearing that stuff.

Who's buying the season ticket packages? Who's buying the suites? Who's deciding if they want to sponsor a team or the league itself?

Shoe companies aren't the only ones that advertise during games and sponsor teams.

Spurminator
10-19-2005, 01:55 PM
Some of you sound so bitter about player salaries.

Hey, I'd give David Stern a blowjob for $17 million, maybe the players should be forced to.

Marcus Bryant
10-19-2005, 01:57 PM
Some of you sound so bitter about player salaries.

Hey, I'd give David Stern a blowjob for $17 million, maybe the players should be forced to.

Exactly

PM5K
10-19-2005, 01:59 PM

Exactly

I wouldn't blow David Stern for seventeen million dollars....

I'd blow him twice!

Marcus Bryant
10-19-2005, 02:00 PM
Why can't we pissed about the owners? Shit, Holt Cat is making $$$ off public money that could've been used to improve the city/county in a more beneficial manner.

This is what I don't get. So many people are quite willing to take ownership's side of the argument. Stop being the Boss' Bitch.

Kip Fanatic
10-19-2005, 02:02 PM
But I really don't care about player inconvenience... I think some of you have pretty lousy arguments about why the players should suck it up and do what Stern tells them, but my main concern has more to do with what this says about our culture.

It was probably Stern who introduced it, but remember that the Players Union or Association agreed to it. Its not like Stern said, "tell A.I, Stephen Jackson, and Tim Duncan to starting wearing sport coats or else."

It was part of the CBAgreement. Agreement means that two sides had to agree. Right?

ShoogarBear

http://nuno.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/nba.jpg

"Hmm, maybe I can work that into the next CBA . . . "

MannyIsGod

I'm not bitter than they make so much money, but I'm also not going to give them a shoulder to cry on or even feel bad for them.

:lmao @ Stern doesn't care about black people.

Kip Fanatic
10-19-2005, 02:06 PM
Why can't we pissed about the owners? Shit, Holt Cat is making $$$ off public money that could've been used to improve the city/county in a more beneficial manner.

This is what I don't get. So many people are quite willing to take ownership's side of the argument. Stop being the Boss' Bitch.

Please shut up. No one is mad. Its just dumb to be angry about having to dress up because your means of living says so (which your representatives agreed to). If you were to what was posted earlier, you would have read where I said that the owners should have to dress professional even more so. I am not on this side or that side. I was fine with the players wearing what they were wearing before. I just don't agree with the players making a big deal about dressing up when they are doing what they love and getting paid tons of cash to do so. That's all.

Spurminator
10-19-2005, 02:08 PM
It was probably Stern who introduced it, but remember that the Players Union or Association agreed to it. Its not like Stern said, "tell A.I, Stephen Jackson, and Tim Duncan to starting wearing sport coats or else."

It was part of the CBAgreement. Agreement means that two sides had to agree. Right?

This isn't the first time a representative body has entered into an agreement that was not fully supported by those it represented.