PDA

View Full Version : Man captures video of "patient dumping" outside Baltimore hospital

RandomGuy
01-11-2018, 06:09 PM
BALTIMORE -- Overnight, Imamu Baraka was walking past a Baltimore hospital when he noticed something he says he'll never forget.

The hospital's security guards had just wheeled a patient to a bus stop, and in the freezing temperatures they left her there. The only thing she had on was a hospital gown.

"It's about 30 degrees out here right now," Baraka says in a recording of the encounter. "Are you OK, ma'am? Do you need me to call the police?" he asks.

It's called "patient dumping" and it doesn't just happen in Baltimore. In 2007, "60 Minutes" investigated the practice of removing homeless patients from Los Angeles hospitals and leaving them downtown.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/man-captures-video-of-patient-dumping-outside-baltimore-hospital

AaronY
01-11-2018, 06:14 PM
Don't really see the problem with this tbh. Maybe they try to drop them at a homeless shelter but I'm not for providing free housing and shit for homeless people indefinitely. They already gave her free healthcare. I guess maybe a free jacket and clothes too?

RandomGuy
01-11-2018, 06:22 PM
Don't really see the problem with this tbh. Maybe they try to drop them at a homeless shelter but I'm not for providing free housing and shit for homeless people indefinitely. They already gave her free healthcare. I guess maybe a free jacket and clothes too?

You didn't actually watch the video, did you?

RandomGuy
01-11-2018, 06:23 PM

Alternately:

"Let them starve?"

My country should not be the place where we let mentally ill people freeze to death on the streets. If you are comfortable with that, then fuck right off.

AaronY
01-11-2018, 06:25 PM
Of course I didn't click the link. Aint nobody got time for dat LOL

If they're mentally Ill they can stay in a mental hospital but a lot don't want to be in mental hospitals so they voluntarily leave. At that point what do you want from me?

AaronY
01-11-2018, 06:32 PM
We have had a few instances in our family of trying to help homeless people that fucked us bad. Cousin had a mobile home and a mortgage on it (nice kid but white trash sector of family. Really nice guy tho) he moved in with his girlfriend and so he thought it would be nice thing to have this homeless guy that he knew be able live there for free

Guy ended up trashing the place stealing everything out of it. Place smelled like a used it for a fucking toilet. And then another time my dad was in AA he tried to help these two guys out who weren't homeless but who were alcoholics they were alcoholics and doing day labor while they lived with their parents. Guys were brothers he told them they could stay in the condo for free for a while if they painted it and worked on it. All they did was get drunk for three months it was a two holes punched in the wall and some shit stolen from it. Painted the side of one wall and shittily at that

RandomGuy
01-11-2018, 06:34 PM
Of course I didn't click the link. Aint nobody got time for day LOL

If they're mentally I'll they can stay in a hospital but a lot don't want to be in hospitals so they voluntarily leave. At that point what do you want from me?

Basic decency?

I'm not under the illusion that we can solve everybody's problems in a nation of 300M+, but I was hoping we could at least agree on some level of services for mentally ill. I am not cool with pretending human beings don't exist because I find their existence inconvenient in some way. Even if they want to leave, we can still provide some things to care for them as human beings.

A stooped, old woman unable to speak in more than moans in nothing but a hospital gown in 30 degree weather is not OK, which is what was in the video. Security dumped her on the street.

RandomGuy
01-11-2018, 06:37 PM
We have had a few instances in our family of trying to help homeless people that fucked us bad. Cousin had a mobile home and a mortgage on it (nice kid but white trash sector of family. Really nice guy tho) he moved in with his girlfriend and so he thought it would be nice thing to have this homeless guy that he knew be able live there for free

Guy ended up trashing the place stealing everything out of it. Place smelled like a used it for a fucking toilet. And then another time my dad was in AA he tried to help these two guys out who weren't homeless but who were alcoholics they were alcoholics and doing day labor while they lived with their parents. Guys were brothers he told them they could stay in the condo for free for a while if they painted it and worked on it. All they did was get drunk for three months it was a two holes punched in the wall and some shit stolen from it. Painted the side of one wall and shittily at that

People tend to be homeless for a reason. Not everybody can be fixed, but it takes some serious social services to help some. Sorry to hear about your cousin.

I try to be generous, but would much rather help by giving what I can to charities with some expertise.

AaronY
01-11-2018, 06:42 PM
People tend to be homeless for a reason. Not everybody can be fixed, but it takes some serious social services to help some. Sorry to hear about your cousin.

I try to be generous, but would much rather help by giving what I can to charities with some expertise.
Also, a lot of these people don't want to stay in shelters even if they get free ones. My cousin said while he helped that guy out the father of the guy really appreciated and called him and gave him like a hundred bucks for the electricity. He said the father sounded like it broke his heart what happened to this son so the father had probably been trying to help that guy out his whole life and it didn't make any difference

sickdsm
01-11-2018, 07:23 PM
Also, a lot of these people don't want to stay in shelters even if they get free ones. My cousin said while he helped that guy out the father of the guy really appreciated and called him and gave him like a hundred bucks for the electricity. He said the father sounded like it broke his heart what happened to this son so the father had probably been trying to help that guy out his whole life and it didn't make any difference
This. Guy froze to death after passing out drunk few years back. Everyone that knew him said he didn't want to stay at the shelter or any families homes.