PDA

View Full Version : Petulance as Foreign Policy

RandomGuy
01-12-2018, 10:43 AM
In the president’s telling, he is canceling a trip to a key ally because he’s mad at the Obama administration. But does he realize why that makes him look bad?

Donald Trump began his presidency with a phone call to Australia that he used to complain about a deal made by his predecessor rather than trying to advance U.S. foreign policy. He won zero concessions while alienating a staunch ally.

Observers could only hope that over time his interactions on the world stage would be shaped by America’s interests more than his interest in being petulant. But almost a year later, he is openly showing the world that same petulant face.

At around 11 p.m. Thursday, having already dominated the day’s headlines for the needless diplomatic own-goal of declaring that various foreign countries are “shitholes,” President Trump posted the following message to his Twitter account:

Reason I canceled my trip to London is that I am not a big fan of the Obama Administration having sold perhaps the best located and finest embassy in London for “peanuts,” only to build a new one in an off location for 1.2 billion dollars. Bad deal. Wanted me to cut ribbon-NO!

A lot of factors determine whether a president ought to take an overseas trip: whether he is needed in Washington; the diplomatic goals that he expects to accomplish; whether travel to a particular location is safe; and on and on and on. But in Trump’s telling, he isn’t canceling a visit to one of America’s closest allies for any of those reasons, or any metric tied to whether the visit would help America.

He’s projecting the image of a man canceling out of umbrage––a man who disagrees with a done deal and intends to make a show of it without trying to reverse it. “Is he *bragging* about adopting petulance as an IR strategy?” Julian Sanchez of the libertarian Cato Institute asked on Twitter. “Is the whole staff really so cowed nobody will tell him how small and petty this makes him sound?”

And Trump’s Twitter tantrum elides that the Bush administration initiated the relocation of the American embassy in London. They announced it in 2008. Among informed Brits, he thus looks to be not only petulant, but under-informed––or a liar who is afraid of facing protests expected to coincide with his visit.

Whether his tweet was premeditated or another instance of erratic, spontaneous outburst, it is hard to imagine any of the men or women Trump ran against in the 2016 primaries or the general election handling this matter as poorly.

------------------------------

Trump isn't looking out for America, or our interests. He is looking out for his ego. It is "Trump First" foreign policy. That harms us in ways we have yet to realize.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/01/trumps-petulance-vs-americas-interests/550379/?utm_source=atlfb

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/01/trumps-petulance-vs-americas-interests/550379/?utm_source=atlfb

Pavlov
01-12-2018, 10:49 AM
It's his plan to look like the stupidest president in US history. TSA said so.

RandomGuy
01-12-2018, 10:55 AM

Hopefully the I-gotta-pee-Annex got 4chan on the case too. The Case of the Curiously Shitty President

koriwhat
01-12-2018, 03:12 PM

gonna be hard to beat out the last 4 administrations for that award. 30 yrs of divisive division tactics while selling out this country.

Pavlov
01-12-2018, 03:13 PM
gonna be hard to beat out the last 4 administrations for that award. 30 yrs of divisive division tactics while selling out this country.Nope, they weren't stupid.

Trump is.

lol divisive division tactics

koriwhat
01-12-2018, 03:20 PM
Nope, they weren't stupid.

Trump is.

lol divisive division tactics

great answer! now we know those admins were nothing but peas in a pod. party lines blurred because they're all on the same side. fuck them all!

Pavlov
01-12-2018, 03:25 PM
great answer! now we know those admins were nothing but peas in a pod. party lines blurred because they're all on the same side. fuck them all!How is Trump different?

How is Trump uniting America?

koriwhat
01-12-2018, 03:34 PM
How is Trump different?

How is Trump uniting America?

didn't say he was different... time will tell.

Pavlov
01-12-2018, 03:36 PM
didn't say he was different... time will tell.You defend him to your last breath, so something must be different to you.

spurraider21
01-12-2018, 03:37 PM
You defend him to your last breath, so something must be different to you.
this is the part where he claims he doesnt like trump, isnt republican, and liberalism is a disease

boutons_deux
01-12-2018, 03:40 PM
Cotton and Perdue, slave state Senators at the meeting and with shit hole memories, don't recall Trash's shithole

NY Daily News, a Murdoch toilet paper, glide over the slander

Repugs, the party of Christian, family values.

RandomGuy
01-12-2018, 04:56 PM
great answer! now we know those admins were nothing but peas in a pod. party lines blurred because they're all on the same side. fuck them all!

The last four executive administrations were moderate centrists, who generally were mature, and the shameful criminal negligence of the initial Iraq occupation aside, fairly competent.

This administration is a shit show of ignorance and stupidity at all levels.

A dumpster fire of monumental proportions, with some obvious in your face corruption and waste that they don't even bother to hide.

If you aren't embarrassed yet, you are not paying attention.

koriwhat
01-13-2018, 04:15 PM
The last four executive administrations were moderate centrists, who generally were mature, and the shameful criminal negligence of the initial Iraq occupation aside, fairly competent.

This administration is a shit show of ignorance and stupidity at all levels.

A dumpster fire of monumental proportions, with some obvious in your face corruption and waste that they don't even bother to hide.

If you aren't embarrassed yet, you are not paying attention.

i'm embarrassed that you claim some war mongering snakes, a rapist, and a communist were fairly competent but you're entitled to your opinion.

hater
01-13-2018, 08:13 PM
Petulance as foreign policy is saying Russia hackd our election :cry all our troubles are due to russia :cry :cry

Thats petulance

DarrinS
01-13-2018, 08:36 PM
Petulance as foreign policy is saying Russia hackd our election :cry all our troubles are due to russia :cry :cry

Thats petulance

Doh!

RandomGuy
01-15-2018, 10:02 AM
i'm embarrassed that you claim some war mongering snakes, a rapist, and a communist were fairly competent but you're entitled to your opinion.

The last four presidents had competent staffing, regardless of what you think about them.

Trump is trying to run a global bureaucracy with millions of employees like he runs his tiny, shoddy real estate development company. It is chaos, and nothing that needs to be done is getting done.

boutons_deux
01-15-2018, 10:10 AM
Trump is trying to run a global bureaucracy with millions of employees like he runs his tiny, shoddy real estate development company. It is chaos, and nothing that needs to be done is getting done.

Meet the 24-year-old Trump campaign worker appointed to help lead the government’s drug policy office

Weyeneth’s ascent from a low-level post to deputy chief of staff is the result, in large part, of

staff turnover and vacancies.

The story of his appointment and remarkable rise provides insight into the Trump administration’s political appointments and the troubled state of the drug policy office.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/meet-the-24-year-old-trump-campaign-worker-appointed-to-help-lead-the-governments-drug-policy-office/2018/01/13/abdada34-f64e-11e7-91af-31ac729add94_story.html?undefined=&utm_term=.9c717f9eb8fd&wpisrc=nl_most&wpmm=1

I bet Trash knew not one of his Cabinet heads until they were handed to him by the Repugs who are intent on crippling, destroying govt to enrich the oligarchy.

Trash's kakistocracy of a Cabinet is what we get from the oligarchy intent on destroying the only countervailing power.

America is more fucked and more unfuckable.

koriwhat
01-15-2018, 05:29 PM
The last four presidents had competent staffing, regardless of what you think about them.

you're so out of touch with reality. also, you know so much about the inner workings of said admin maybe you should apply for a position that the dems won't appoint you to and road block you at every angle.

RandomGuy
01-15-2018, 05:40 PM
you're so out of touch with reality. also, you know so much about the inner workings of said admin maybe you should apply for a position that the dems won't appoint you to and road block you at every angle.

It is easy to know a lot about what is going on in this administration. The only way you can't is if you have your head in the sand.

I know vastly more about what is going on in our government, and the world than you do, so any "out of touch" charge is risible. I await your next brilliant missive, after you look up that word, and think of something else to amateurishly pound out on your sticky keyboard.

koriwhat
01-15-2018, 07:01 PM
It is easy to know a lot about what is going on in this administration. The only way you can't is if you have your head in the sand.

I know vastly more about what is going on in our government, and the world than you do, so any "out of touch" charge is risible. I await your next brilliant missive, after you look up that word, and think of something else to amateurishly pound out on your sticky keyboard.

my keyboard is far from sticky. sorry your assumptions are far from truth as well.