PDA

View Full Version : Injury Report: 1/14/18

ace3g
01-14-2018, 04:41 PM
San Antonio Spurs‏Verified account @spurs (https://twitter.com/spurs)

Rudy Gay (right heel bursitis) is out for tomorrow’s Spurs-Hawks game.

Robz4000
01-14-2018, 04:45 PM
Looks like Pop is done with that retarded rest Kawhi for two days schtick.

SAGirl
01-14-2018, 05:11 PM
Great news Kiwi is finally out of that 2 days in between schticks... :flag:

bklynspursfan
01-14-2018, 05:13 PM
Looks like Pop is done with that retarded rest Kawhi for two days schtick.

Wasn't rest tbh. But glad he's getting back on track now.

Leetonidas
01-14-2018, 05:14 PM
That is surprising as hell

r0drig0lac
01-14-2018, 05:14 PM
That is surprising as hell

cd98
01-14-2018, 05:34 PM
Is Pop doing his best to keep Kawhi off the mega payday by not making an All NBA team?

Robz4000
01-14-2018, 05:40 PM
Is Pop doing his best to keep Kawhi off the mega payday by not making an All NBA team?

He was All-NBA last year so he's already eligible.

Chinook
01-14-2018, 05:42 PM
He was All-NBA last year so he's already eligible.

But if he doesn't makes it next year, he loses eligibility

Robz4000
01-14-2018, 05:45 PM
But if he doesn't makes it next year, he loses eligibility

Mentioned it in another thread, but if the Spurs and Kawhi don't come to an agreement on an extension this offseason I think they explore trading Kawhi. Regardless, Pop isn't trying to keep Kawhi from making All-NBA.

dabom
01-14-2018, 05:47 PM
Mentioned it in another thread, but if the Spurs and Kawhi don't come to an agreement on an extension this offseason I think they explore trading Kawhi. Regardless, Pop isn't trying to keep Kawhi from making All-NBA.

You must be some dumb fuck. :lol

Robz4000
01-14-2018, 05:48 PM
You must be some dumb fuck. :lol

:lol 50Mills

dabom
01-14-2018, 05:49 PM
:lol 50Mills

Spurs signed him and you probably thought otherwise. :lmao

Robz4000
01-14-2018, 05:51 PM
Spurs signed him and you probably thought otherwise. :lmao

:lol still defending 50Mills

dabom
01-14-2018, 05:51 PM
:lol still defending 50Mills

Ypu. I'm always right. :lmao

Play Boban
01-14-2018, 06:03 PM
:cry

r0drig0lac
01-14-2018, 06:16 PM

it's a joke right?

8FOR!3
01-14-2018, 08:31 PM
Shit I almost forgot Rudy Gay was even on the team, felt like last night's team was our whole entire healthy team. If this team could just play together some I actually think their upside is really high they just have to stay healthy and peak at the right time.

bklynspursfan
01-14-2018, 08:36 PM

They aren't trading Kawhi haha. That's seriously crazy talk. No way they make him the face of the franchise and then trade him.

Robz4000
01-14-2018, 08:49 PM
They aren't trading Kawhi haha. That's seriously crazy talk. No way they make him the face of the franchise and then trade him.

I don't see them giving him the Supermax and crippling the team or risk losing him for nothing. If they can't come to an agreement they can easily get great things in return for him this offseason.

Seventyniner
01-14-2018, 09:07 PM
Shit I almost forgot Rudy Gay was even on the team, felt like last night's team was our whole entire healthy team. If this team could just play together some I actually think their upside is really high they just have to stay healthy and peak at the right time.

bklynspursfan
01-14-2018, 09:24 PM
I don't see them giving him the Supermax and crippling the team or risk losing him for nothing. If they can't come to an agreement they can easily get great things in return for him this offseason.

Why wouldn't they give him the supermax? He put them back on the map in terms of being a legit championship contender.

Also, who knows if he sacrifices for the better of the team like his predecessors

YGWHI
01-14-2018, 09:45 PM
I don't see them giving him the Supermax and crippling the team or risk losing him for nothing.
Pop was scared of losing LMA... A player that barely led his teams to 2nd round in his career.

But he changed things to make LMA comfortable this season, he basically "I won't coach you, just be you, take the shots you want, do what you want..."

Now you say that the same Pop'll trade Kawhi, the face of the franchise, FMVP, 2-time DPOY, MVP runner up/top 3 MVP candidate two seasons in a row?

I wonder when was the last time that Spurs organization lost a franchise player

If they can't come to an agreement they can easily get great things in return for him this offseason.
Unless they get LeBron, which is highkey improbable, what other great things they would get? There isn't other top 3-5 player available in FA this offseason.

They won't sign two top-25 players for just next season Kawhi's salary...$20M

rasuo214
01-14-2018, 09:47 PM

Pay Patty $50 Mil? No problem.

Give Kawhi the Supermax? NO WAY!

:depressed

YGWHI
01-14-2018, 10:02 PM
If Kawhi's gonna play tomorrow it could be a sign that Pop is finally hearing him...It seems like Kawhi is asking for playing more.

"I need to string some games together," Leonard said. "I talked to veteran guys who have been in this situation. They say to give yourself time – two weeks, three weeks, maybe a month – to get back to being yourself."

"Even if you do make shots or have a good defensive game, it doesn't mean I've found a rhythm," he said. "It's about putting a whole month or two weeks together."

https://www.expressnews.com/sports/spurs/article/Leonard-s-star-crossed-season-back-on-the-12497013.php

SAGirl
01-14-2018, 10:44 PM
Pay Patty $50 Mil? No problem.

Give Kawhi the Supermax? NO WAY!

:depressed
yea... to assume he will not get it, is ridiculous.

Kawhi will get the supermax...
The team just can't have contracts like Tonys and such... people who are paid have to pull their weight. I expect them to continue to draft and develop guys like they have currently.

They may lose some of their FA from this season... some of them are getting squeezed out in minutes anyways in a fully healthy team, and deserve raises plus minutes. If Spurs can't offer them, just go to Hilliard, Blossomgame, Brandon Paul, etc.

Ice009
01-14-2018, 11:06 PM
That interview about LA and Pop's meeting during the off-season is very telling. I didn't read it all as I was too pissed off with how poorly the Spurs played against the Lakers, so I still need to read it fully. I did read some of those quotes that posters here put up on Spurstalk, and if Pop wasn't willing to trade LA unless he got a great talent like KD, then who would Pop be willing to trade Kawhi for? Pretty much no-one. He'd want Curry or KD IMO, and neither of those two are likely to happen. He might not even want either of them in exchange for Kawhi.

I'd assume the only way they trade Kawhi is if he demands it.

phxspurfan
01-14-2018, 11:20 PM
Love it. All the homers on this site say Kawhi is easily #1-3 in the world. Yet people say he isn't worth the supermax. Make up your minds.

Robz4000
01-14-2018, 11:51 PM
Y'all don't understand how damaging that super max contract is going to be to teams even starting next year. The salary cap is going to drop, maybe even into the $80mil range. Imagine a contract like that taking up more than half the capspace. Kawhi + scrubs (literal scrubs) is all this team could afford.

ducks
01-14-2018, 11:53 PM
Leonard has more talent then David Robison did

YGWHI
01-15-2018, 12:14 AM
Y'all don't understand how damaging that super max contract is going to be to teams even starting next year. The salary cap is going to drop, maybe even into the $80mil range. Imagine a contract like that taking up more than half the capspace. Kawhi + scrubs (literal scrubs) is all this team could afford.

1-Times have changed, the team should accept it.

2-Spurs way to go below the cap won't be sustainable in next years.

Russ, Harden, Curry all got supermax contracts in the summer, they have other teammates in max deals, and their teams are top in the West.

3-Supermax deals are an absolute abomination. But the league and most teams will find a way to survive like always.

A Kawhi's trade won't fix how things work in the market.

4- PATFO can't afford Parker/Patty/Pau type of contracts anymore. Elite teams don't pay their role players that much money.

phxspurfan
01-15-2018, 01:03 AM
4- PATFO can't afford Parker/Patty/Pau type of contracts anymore. Elite teams don't pay their role players that much money.

This is the problem more than Kawhi. The Spurs FO know they fucked up giving all that money to Pau and Patty. If they hit the market they either a. would have gotten smaller offers since the market dried up or b. would have left for the money and we would have replacement level players in their place who may not be former all stars or former finals heroes, but certainly younger and cheaper. The difference between a replacement level SG and Mills is not that big, and Pau's position in Today's NBA isn't even valued anymore. But to pay those guys and then lose Kawhi would be disastrous. You pay your star players, period. That or they get paid somewhere else and you end up with a team like the Bulls, Thuggets, Magic, Nets. Paying a bunch guys just above replacement level, star money

Robz4000
01-15-2018, 01:10 AM
1-Times have changed, the team should accept it.

2-Spurs way to go below the cap won't be sustainable in next years.

Russ, Harden, Curry all got supermax contracts in the summer, they have other teammates in max deals, and their teams are top in the West.

3-Supermax deals are an absolute abomination. But the league and most teams will find a way to survive like always.

A Kawhi's trade won't fix how things work in the market.

Two of those players are from large markets that have more money to spend, and the Thunder will be especially fucked in two years. Spurs don't have that luxury; at the end of the day they're a business and they can't afford to go further into the red than they already are.

Don't disagree at all about the bad contracts, but they've already screwed themselves over with them.

Trading Kawhi can definitely net the Spurs some great assets. I wouldn't wanna see it happen but I can see the organization going that route.

spurraider21
01-15-2018, 02:07 AM
better than the alternative which is those same scrubs plus some more role players. the spurs have less than a 0 chance to ring without kawhi for the next 5 years anyway

BG_Spurs_Fan
01-15-2018, 02:22 AM

None of these things are going to happen.

Robz4000
01-15-2018, 02:32 AM
None of these things are going to happen.

The salary cap is definitely going to fall down from where it is now. That's been agreed upon by all salary cap experts. Spurs are also a small market team that is currently losing money. Do they trade Kawhi? Up for discussion. However, giving him the Supermax will not be good for the Spurs in the long term.

YGWHI
01-15-2018, 02:32 AM
at the end of the day they're a business and they can't afford to go further into the red than they already are.
If they don't realize that in today NBA having a competitive team is very expensive... Better they sell the team and keep their money safe.

Trading Kawhi can definitely net the Spurs some great assets.
No.

Kawhi's the 45th best-paid NBA player this year.
He is projected to be the 39th best-paid NBA player next year.

He's the 20th best-paid forward this year.
Projected to be the 20th best paid forward next year

So...There are 45 players in the league making more money than Kawhi, 20 of them are forwards. I wonder how the Spurs will sign talented guys with that money in the market.

BG_Spurs_Fan
01-15-2018, 02:40 AM
The salary cap is definitely going to fall down from where it is now. That's been agreed upon by all salary cap experts.

Really? Link? Latest news on the topic from Shams claims the opposite.

Do they trade Kawhi? Up for discussion. However, giving him the Supermax will not be good for the Spurs in the long term.

It'll be the best thing for the Spurs.

Seventyniner
01-15-2018, 10:08 AM
So what if Kawhi's contract takes up half the cap? The same will end up being true of any team with a top 10 player once older contracts start rolling off. We will see more parity overall.

Chinook
01-15-2018, 12:40 PM
So what if Kawhi's contract takes up half the cap? The same will end up being true of any team with a top 10 player once older contracts start rolling off. We will see more parity overall.

If Kawhi has a top-10 impact, that's all well and good. If he essentially loses this season to injuries, that's when it's not as cool. No player has a top-10 impact from the bench. The whole reason why the team could possibly hesitate is because of that. I fully expect the Spurs and Kawhi to get a contract done without difficulty, whether that be a supermax or something less. But I simply can't find a view of "Kawhi's injuries don't play into his value" credible. It's a serious thing, and I don't think waiting until he shows that he's out of the woods before committing more than $200 Million to be a bad strategy.

Chinook
01-15-2018, 12:45 PM
The salary cap is definitely going to fall down from where it is now. That's been agreed upon by all salary cap experts. Spurs are also a small market team that is currently losing money. Do they trade Kawhi? Up for discussion. However, giving him the Supermax will not be good for the Spurs in the long term.

Really? Link? Latest news on the topic from Shams claims the opposite.

It'll be the best thing for the Spurs.

I don't think the cap contraction is definite, but it's certainly something to keep an eye on. ESPN is still hemorrhaging money, and I don't see them signing another huge deal. Considering how much of the market Disney controls and will control in the near future, them either backing off or cutting a lower deal would have a huge effect on the cap. Some will be supplemented by some online services, but no one seems willing to sign a huge enough deal to keep the cap up. I am not sure how the international television market works, but that might be another place to get money. And LP (at least in the States) is too shitty to bank on. A flat cap seems like an optimistic projection.

tp2021
01-15-2018, 02:51 PM
I saw the Spurs made an update 20 minutes ago.

‪"UPDATE: Kawhi Leonard (return from injury management) is out for today’s Spurs-Hawks game. Rudy Gay (right heel bursitis) remains out."

YGWHI
01-15-2018, 06:27 PM
One day ago...

Kawhi: "I need to string games together"

This morning...

Kawhi: "It's an honor to play in MLK day"

Yeah...Keep f*cking doing this, Pop. Obviously it's a winning formula.

rasuo214
01-15-2018, 11:50 PM
One day ago...

Kawhi: "I need to string games together"

This morning...

Kawhi: "It's an honor to play in MLK day"

Yeah...Keep f*cking doing this, Pop. Obviously it's a winning formula.

Proof that Pop is babying Kawhi, as if any one needed any.

Again these injury reports don't mean shit, so if anyone is planning on attending a game this season just be aware of this. Kawhi has been listed as probable several times and Pop has sat him, this time he wasn't even on the report and wanted to play and Pop still sits him.