PDA

View Full Version : 2 stats that tell you all you need to know about this team

TD 21
01-15-2018, 06:39 PM
29th in road offense. http://stats.nba.com/teams/advanced/?Season=2017-18&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&sort=OFF_RATING&dir=-1&Location=Road

1 of 2 teams (Kings) who are bottom 5 in percentage of shots in restricted area and 3. http://www.nba.com/powerrankings/2017-18-week-14?collection=powerrankings#/

Injuries alone can't explain this.

I actually hope they get the 4 seed. Want one (hopefully) healthy Warriors series and there's a better chance of them beating Thunder in WCQF than Rockets in WCSF. Either way though, whenever it is the season ends, hopefully it does so with them healthy and getting demolished, so they're forced to take a long look in the mirror at both the point guard position and style of play in the off season. I don't want excuses, so that neither them nor the blind faith types can pretend anymore.

HarlemHeat37
01-15-2018, 06:44 PM
I find it astonishing that nobody in the media has said a thing about the Spurs' style the past 2 seasons..their shot chart is consistently anti-modern basketball:lol for a high profile team with the most popular coach of all-time, I've been genuinely surprised that it hasn't even generated a discussion in the media..

Robz4000
01-15-2018, 06:48 PM
I find it astonishing that nobody in the media has said a thing about the Spurs' style the past 2 seasons..their shot chart is consistently anti-modern basketball:lol for a high profile team with the most popular coach of all-time, I've been genuinely surprised that it hasn't even generated a discussion in the media..

Nobody cares about the Spurs or watches them since they're irrelevant.

YGWHI
01-15-2018, 06:49 PM
hopefully it does so with them healthy and getting demolished, so they're forced to take a long look in the mirror at both the point guard position and style of play in the off season.
Like they did after 2015 Clips series? After our guards were outplayed by OKC in 2016? Or after they got swep by the Warriors last playoffs?

Pau $48M deal...Patty's contract. Next Parker's contract..Yep. PATFO already learned from every ugly playoff elimination.

spurraider21
01-15-2018, 06:51 PM
29th in road offense. http://stats.nba.com/teams/advanced/?Season=2017-18&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&sort=OFF_RATING&dir=-1&Location=Road

1 of 2 teams (Kings) who are bottom 5 in percentage of shots in restricted area and 3. http://www.nba.com/powerrankings/2017-18-week-14?collection=powerrankings#/

I actually hope they get the 4 seed. Want one (hopefully) healthy Warriors series and there's a better chance of them beating Thunder in WCQF than Rockets in WCSF. Either way though, whenever it is the season ends, hopefully it does so with them healthy and getting demolished, so they're forced to take a long look in the mirror at both the point guard position and style of play in the off season. I don't want excuses, so that neither them nor the blind faith types can pretend anymore.
we dont score in the restricted area because our bigs are jumpshooters and we dont have a PG who can penetrate and score.

i dont know if that number will improve with a more kawhi-centric offense

AFMadison
01-15-2018, 06:52 PM

Hmmmmmm I wonder who’s been saying this since the very F@$&ING BEGINNING.

HarlemHeat37
01-15-2018, 06:53 PM
we dont score in the restricted area because our bigs are jumpshooters and we dont have a PG who can penetrate and score.

But who built the team that way? Pop and RC used to see things before the rest of the league..

TD 21
01-15-2018, 06:56 PM
Nobody cares about the Spurs or watches them since they're irrelevant.

First time since '11 that's been true. When Warriors destroyed them in January of '16, that was the beginning of the end, but they still somewhat lived off the hype of '12-'14 until this season.

So it's that and the reluctance to criticize Pop. Sure, many criticized the off season, but that's not directly related to coaching, even though he does have final say.

Like they did after 2015 Clips series? After our guards were overplayed by OKC in 2016? Or after they got swep by the Warriors last playoffs?

Pau $48M deal...Patty's contract. Next Parker's contract..Yep. PATFOR already learned from every ugly playoff elimination.

I agree, but the way PATFO and the blind faith types saw it, there were always viable excuses / reasons at the ready. In '15, it was Parker and Splitter injuries, as well as overall burnout from 3 straight deep runs. In '16, it was horrible officiating at the end of tight games 2 and 5, as well as Thunder always being their toughest match-up. In '17, it was Leonard and Parker injuries, as well as facing an all-time opponent.

palangi
01-15-2018, 06:58 PM
This is such a poorly constructed team. No way of getting around it. Amazing how much Tim Duncan covered up weaknesses by the coach and front office. They are being exposed now

YGWHI
01-15-2018, 07:00 PM

No one has the balls to criticize Pop and his system.

IIRC the only media guy doing it in last years was Tim Bontemps and he's not exactly one of the most popular writers.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2017/05/02/gregg-popovichs-old-stubborn-ways-could-be-fatal-for-the-spurs-in-rockets-series/?utm_term=.0eebd1be1118

There are also a whole article about OKC series and how Pop went to Parker/LMA instead of calling a play for Kawhi in game 5 last minute, that I can't find now

YGWHI
01-15-2018, 07:05 PM

At least Kawhi drives to the hoop, get calls...Spurs dont have other players that can do it in a consistent way.

I've said this is one of the most unbalanced Spurs rosters in years. Ton of guards, no one attacks the rim. Just two decent bigs, both players fell in love with mid-j most games

spurraider21
01-15-2018, 07:13 PM
But who built the team that way? Pop and RC used to see things before the rest of the league..
giving gasol 3 years was a very questionable decision, considering just last year he was unplayable in certain matchups. we would have been much better of retaining dedmon

NameLess Scrub
01-16-2018, 08:01 AM
First time since '11 that's been true. When Warriors destroyed them in January of '16, that was the beginning of the end, but they still somewhat lived off the hype of '12-'14 until this season.

So it's that and the reluctance to criticize Pop. Sure, many criticized the off season, but that's not directly related to coaching, even though he does have final say.

I agree, but the way PATFO and the blind faith types saw it, there were always viable excuses / reasons at the ready. In '15, it was Parker and Splitter injuries, as well as overall burnout from 3 straight deep runs. In '16, it was horrible officiating at the end of tight games 2 and 5, as well as Thunder always being their toughest match-up. In '17, it was Leonard and Parker injuries, as well as facing an all-time opponent.

Those are not just excuses. They're legit factors. In 2015 Warriors weren't an obnoxious superteam when Spurs lost to the choking clippers, and the 2016 OKC series reffing was irritating. Kawhi going down injured while up 23 ripping the super warriors apart is no small thing.

Which is why I agree with you. I hope they're healthy and then win or lose at full power, no reffing gimmicks, so there's no asterisks or excuses or anything in front of the FO.

At this point some needs of the team are obvious, but just in case :lol

NameLess Scrub
01-16-2018, 08:03 AM

Nobody cares about the Spurs or knows that Kawhi is a superstar except when they are a stepping stone for precious Warriors, LeBron, WB, etc. :lol

Spurtacular
01-16-2018, 08:18 AM
Kawhi Leonard DND - Rest

That's what this season comes down to, tbh.

Brazil
01-16-2018, 08:31 AM

welcome back bro

Brazil
01-16-2018, 08:32 AM
worst part is that it is way too late to tank tbh...

Chinook
01-16-2018, 01:55 PM
giving gasol 3 years was a very questionable decision, considering just last year he was unplayable in certain matchups. we would have been much better of retaining dedmon

It wasn't really Pau or Dedmon though. It was Gay or Dedmon. Rudy is obviously hurt right now. But it still feels like a better trade-off. Real loss was Lee. A healthy Lee would have stabilized the bench provided needed offense. Joff tries to be the same player but is worse at pretty much everything.

TimDunkem
01-16-2018, 02:29 PM
Guess us "spoiled fans" criticizing PATFO's roster decisions were on to something after all.

Chinook
01-16-2018, 02:48 PM
Guess us "spoiled fans" criticizing PATFO's roster decisions were on to something after all.

Only a couple of posters tried to argue that everything PATFO did was correct. But that's separate from the idea that the roster itself is bad. The Spurs have been able to be the third seed despite key guys missing so many games. A bad roster simply won't do that. It wasn't unreasonable to want the team to avoid bad contracts and whatnot, but the complaints about the "team outside of Kawhi" were unfounded. I think if someone were to say Kawhi would miss almost the first half of the season and the team would be on pace for HCA in the first round, none of the most vociferous critics would have believed it.