PDA

View Full Version : 1 fact that hinders the Spurs more than anything else (even Parker)

SpursforSix
01-16-2018, 02:54 PM
:pop: Hi niggas! I'm still coaching.

spurraider21
01-16-2018, 02:56 PM
you get rid of him we immediately regress

SpursforSix
01-16-2018, 03:15 PM

That doesn't mean he isn't a hindrance.

spurraider21
01-16-2018, 03:16 PM
That doesn't mean he isn't a hindrance.
imo thats exactly what that means. if you remove a hindrance, you'd get better

sananspursfan21
01-16-2018, 03:19 PM

SpursforSix
01-16-2018, 03:51 PM
imo thats exactly what that means. if you remove a hindrance, you'd get better

He's limiting their upside. To me, that's a hindrance. But I agree if they just remove him without replacing him with a better coach, then they will get worse.

In any event, I wasn't serious that he's the main reason they aren't doing as well as fans want. Injuries, age, bad contracts...all these things go into it.

I really just wanted an opportunity to post a ":pop:" saying, "Hi niggas".

TrainOfThought5
01-16-2018, 03:54 PM
He's limiting their upside. To me, that's a hindrance. But I agree if they just remove him without replacing him with a better coach, then they will get worse.

In any event, I wasn't serious that he's the main reason they aren't doing as well as fans want. Injuries, age, bad contracts...all these things go into it.

Right... how many coaches are better than pop?

spurraider21
01-16-2018, 03:54 PM

and if there's no opportunity to replace him with a better coach, then this whole thing is moot

spurraider21
01-16-2018, 03:55 PM
everyone will mention carlisle, some will say stevens. but none of them are available so its pointless whining

SpursforSix
01-16-2018, 04:07 PM
and if there's no opportunity to replace him with a better coach, then this whole thing is moot

It doesn't make the discussion moot at all. We can't make Leonard's injury go away but it's still valid to say that his injury is hurting the Spurs.
And yeah...the obvious choices are unavailable. But that doesn't mean there isn't someone out there that would be better than Pop.

What might make the discussion moot is that PATFO will never replace Pop until Pop is ready to quit. Regardless of how the team is doing.

And I think Pop is a good coach. Used to believe he was great. But a lot of that was based on all those rings and 50 plus seasons. I don't know for sure but my guess is that there are probably a dozen coaches that could do something similar with those teams.

and wtf is "whining"?

spurraider21
01-16-2018, 04:10 PM
It doesn't make the discussion moot at all. We can't make Leonard's injury go away but it's still valid to say that his injury is hurting the Spurs.
leonards injury IS a hindrance. if we take away his injury, we get better. it wouldnt require finding a better replacement, like firing a coach/player would

if we take away pop, we dont get better.

And yeah...the obvious choices are unavailable. But that doesn't mean there isn't someone out there that would be better than Pop.
but who would that be?

What might make the discussion moot is that PATFO will never replace Pop until Pop is ready to quit. Regardless of how the team is doing.
true. same with a guy like belichik tho. he has enough cred/body of work to survive some bad years

And I think Pop is a good coach. Used to believe he was great. But a lot of that was based on all those rings and 50 plus seasons. I don't know for sure but my guess is that there are probably a dozen coaches that could do something similar with those teams.
unlikely. we've seen squads more talented than 2003 do a lot less. we've never seen another team do what we did in 2013/2014

LittleCriminal
01-16-2018, 04:21 PM
The only beef I have with POP are his shit rotations...
I am fully aware of the injuries but shit...
Mills, Forbes, and Anderson in the same lineup is fukkin retarded.

Play White. Call up Jaron Blossomgame. Trade Anderson. Try anything else.

SpursforSix
01-16-2018, 04:26 PM
leonards injury IS a hindrance. if we take away his injury, we get better. it wouldnt require finding a better replacement, like firing a coach/player would

if we take away pop, we dont get better.

Maybe there's a better word than "hindrance". Whatever the word is that means "good enough to keep the team competitive while also being a limitation on their upside".
That being said, if we replace Pop with someone better than Pop, we get better.

but who would that be?

I don't know who would be that mystery coach that could replace Pop immediately and make them better. It's not my job to identify that person. It's PATFO who should be doing that.
But until the team really sucks, I don't think that's even in their thoughts.

unlikely. we've seen squads more talented than 2003 do a lot less. we've never seen another team do what we did in 2013/2014
True about 2003. But with the talent of some of those squads, there should have been a repeat somewhere.

And again, I'm not advocating changing coaches at this exact instant. More of my issues are with the management decisions regarding personnel and contracts.
But even on the floor, Pop's decisions (or instincts) don't seem to be what they were.

Hoops Czar
01-16-2018, 04:46 PM

From an X's and O's standpoint? Lots. That isn't even up for debate. Pop is a motivational coach. He inspires players to work hard and compete unfortunately, inspiration doesn't win championships, talent does. Pop wears multiple hats within the organization and he needs to be held accountable for the loyalty contracts and destruction of cap space for the next three years, and moving away from the motion offense and returning to a stagnant ISO and post up offense. The league has changed gears over the last 7 to 8 years, Pop hasn't. Pop isn't some legendary genius, he was just lucky enough to have coached Tim Duncan for 18 years.

Spurtacular
01-16-2018, 06:23 PM

At this point, there's probably Stevens and then everybody else. Some might put Gregg on some sort of second tier, though.

duncan2k5
01-17-2018, 08:19 AM

No one in their right mind would have said Steve Kerr was a better coach than Mark Jackson... Especially since he hasn't coached before... But look how that turned out... It's not about looking for someone who is "better"... Or else we keep chasing down old guys... Sometimes it's about choosing someone right for the team, regardless of experience

Fireball
01-17-2018, 09:00 AM
and wtf is "whining"?
complaining and crying at the same time ... typical ST quality