PDA

View Full Version : Democrats flip traditionally conservative Wisconsin district

FuzzyLumpkins
01-17-2018, 05:21 PM
MADISON, Wis. (AP) — A surprising Democratic upset in a conservative Wisconsin Senate district where voters overwhelmingly supported President Donald Trump just 14 months ago has raised liberal hopes of more election success this fall.

Patty Schachtner’s victory over an incumbent Republican state representative in Wisconsin’s 10th Senate District follows Democratic wins across the country. Republican Gov. Scott Walker, who is up for re-election to a third term in November, took note, posting on Twitter minutes after Schachtner’s win that it was a “wake up call for Republicans in Wisconsin.”

The governor told reporters in Milwaukee on Wednesday that dissatisfaction with national politics influenced Schachtner’s win, but he stopped short of blaming Trump or the GOP agenda.

“Washington and Wisconsin are two very different places,” Walker said. “I think people look at Washington and think there’s not as much getting done as maybe some people had hoped.”

Schachtner took 55 percent of the vote to Republican state Rep. Adam Jarchow’s 44 percent in unofficial returns. Schachtner, who entered the race in northwestern Wisconsin as the clear underdog, attributed her stunning victory to what she called a “kind campaign.”

“People sent a message tonight: We don’t want to be negative anymore,” she said Tuesday. “Change it up. ... My message has always been be kind, be considerate and we need to help people when they’re down.”

The flip is particularly notable in Wisconsin, where Democratic numbers are at their lowest since 1971 in the state Senate and 1957 in the Assembly. As to whether her victory could be a harbinger of more Democratic wins, Schachtner said simply: “It certainly could be.”

https://apnews.com/a2ef13467c1949ee9a1aa7a3ad87272a

koriwhat
01-17-2018, 05:25 PM
you mean refugees flip it in favor of their handlers?

FuzzyLumpkins
01-17-2018, 05:28 PM
you mean refugees flip it in favor of their handlers?

:lol you're a conspiratard.

Pavlov
01-17-2018, 05:54 PM
you mean refugees flip it in favor of their handlers?How many refugees are you saying flipped Meenon and Lake Balsam?

koriwhat
01-17-2018, 05:57 PM
:lol you're a conspiratard.

lmao and you're still a faggot. a faggot in HS and a faggot today.

FuzzyLumpkins
01-17-2018, 06:27 PM
So this is three special elections and a general the GOP has lost. They are apparently having issues holding onto/ finding candidates. Warren, Kaine, Sanders, Brown, and Nelson are running unopposed.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/01/17/trump-republicans-democrats-midterms-cuomo-338945

TeyshaBlue
01-17-2018, 06:29 PM
The Trump Effect in action. Is anyone genuinely surprised?

FuzzyLumpkins
01-17-2018, 06:29 PM
lmao and you're still a faggot. a faggot in HS and a faggot today.

Have you met CC? He likes to make up stories too. You were desperately trying to figure out who I was before, Joey.

Protip: try and come up with a different insult than calling someone gay. It only makes you look bad on several different levels.

FuzzyLumpkins
01-17-2018, 06:31 PM

His 30% base is.

koriwhat
01-17-2018, 06:31 PM
Have you met CC? He likes to make up stories too. You were desperately trying to figure out who I was before, Joey.

Proti[: try and come up with a different insult than calling someone gay. It only makes you look bad on several different levels.

who do i look bad to exactly? ST? lol wgaf!?!

whatever faggylumpkins. btw, i don't care who you are. however, i do know that you are a pussy who hides behind a screen name. pussy.

FuzzyLumpkins
01-17-2018, 07:32 PM
Apparently Trump won this district by 17 points 14 months ago.

Monostradamus
01-17-2018, 07:34 PM
Watch for dem Soros checks gettin cashed!

DMX7
01-17-2018, 10:48 PM
Paul Ryan is running for the hills!

Reck
01-17-2018, 11:09 PM
Patty Schachtner’s victory over an incumbent Republican state representative in Wisconsin’s 10th Senate District follows Democratic wins across the country. Republican Gov. Scott Walker, who is up for re-election to a third term in November, took note, posting on Twitter minutes after Schachtner’s win that it was a “wake up call for Republicans in Wisconsin.”

The governor told reporters in Milwaukee on Wednesday that dissatisfaction with national politics influenced Schachtner’s win, but he stopped short of blaming Trump or the GOP agenda.

So there are two points where republicans are still missing or flat out ignoring because it makes them feel better about the huge losses they have been getting lately.

1.They keep saying it's a wake up call but then go on to hitch their ride to Trump in the same breath.
2. Still not seeing the obvious. Trump.

He's a blackhole and they are still refusing to see he's dragging them all down.

Works for me though.

RandomGuy
01-18-2018, 02:55 PM

Blue wave shaping up. Democrats are energized more than I have ever seen in my lifetime.

Women, more energized than I have ever seen in my lifetime.

http://thehill.com/sites/default/files/timecover.png

The gal below the "A" is running for my state representative, taking over from Isaacs who is not running. Interesting gal, that, a jeopardy champion.

RandomGuy
01-18-2018, 02:59 PM
So there are two points where republicans are still missing or flat out ignoring because it makes them feel better about the huge losses they have been getting lately.

1.They keep saying it's a wake up call but then go on to hitch their ride to Trump in the same breath.
2. Still not seeing the obvious. Trump.

He's a blackhole and they are still refusing to see he's dragging them all down.

Works for me though.

I think a lot of them know the wave is coming. Districts that comfortably went for Trump are going to have 20 point swings.

The shit-stain of Trump extremism will take a while to wash out.

The party of rich white-guys, for rich white guys, and of rich white guys is going to have a hard time ever coming back after they lose in the next four years.

Once Democrats get enough power to stop/counter GOP efforts to dilute Democratic votes, it will be almost impossible for the GOP to continue as a credible national party.

That is when US politics will get truly interesting.

RandomGuy
01-18-2018, 03:08 PM

whatever faggylumpkins. btw, i don't care who you are. however, i do know that you are a pussy who hides behind a screen name. pussy.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-democrats-wave-could-turn-into-a-flood/

So Democrats are up a lot. A lot a lot. But how might a lead this big manifest itself in 2018?

First, Democrats are probably favorites to win the House. Their current advantage is larger than the lead Republicans had at this point in the 1994 cycle, the lead Democrats held at this point in the 2006 cycle or the lead Republicans had at this point in the 2010 cycle. Those were all years when the minority party won control of the House. And a 12 percentage point Democratic advantage in the national House vote come next November would likely be more than enough for the House to flip again. I’ve previously calculated that the Democrats need to win the national House vote by 5.5 to 8 points to win the House.

RandomGuy
01-18-2018, 03:11 PM

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-democrats-wave-could-turn-into-a-flood/

So Democrats are up a lot. A lot a lot. But how might a lead this big manifest itself in 2018?

First, Democrats are probably favorites to win the House. Their current advantage is larger than the lead Republicans had at this point in the 1994 cycle, the lead Democrats held at this point in the 2006 cycle or the lead Republicans had at this point in the 2010 cycle. Those were all years when the minority party won control of the House. And a 12 percentage point Democratic advantage in the national House vote come next November would likely be more than enough for the House to flip again. I’ve previously calculated that the Democrats need to win the national House vote by 5.5 to 8 points to win the House.

baseline bum
01-18-2018, 03:18 PM
I think a lot of them know the wave is coming. Districts that comfortably went for Trump are going to have 20 point swings.

The shit-stain of Trump extremism will take a while to wash out.

The party of rich white-guys, for rich white guys, and of rich white guys is going to have a hard time ever coming back after they lose in the next four years.

Once Democrats get enough power to stop/counter GOP efforts to dilute Democratic votes, it will be almost impossible for the GOP to continue as a credible national party.

That is when US politics will get truly interesting.

RG, you're really going over the top here bro. I remember 2016 was supposed to be the year the GOP was done. In a two party system it doesn't matter if one sucks, it's still going to get a lot of votes.

RandomGuy
01-18-2018, 03:22 PM
RG, you're really going over the top here bro. I remember 2016 was supposed to be the year the GOP was done. In a two party system it doesn't matter if one sucks, it's still going to get a lot of votes.

I have personal observation, and more than one data indicator pointing that way. I will be happy to be over the top, and for some wishful thinking. I've always been an optimist.

2016 and 2020 will be the last elections that demographics will be evenly balanced. After that, even with lower Democratic group turnouts, that will still translate into more absolute votes.

Millennials are getting shit on all over by older Republicans, and won't soon forget that either.

It is as if the Trump party is attempting to insult as many non-white, non-male voting blocks possible. That is just not sustainable.

koriwhat
01-18-2018, 04:48 PM

ok?

FuzzyLumpkins
01-18-2018, 09:47 PM

Except the dems had not been having the run of electoral victories in 2015.

That is the rub and it should be obvious that the dems have quite a bit of momentum. The dems typically do poorly in off years and midterms lending to the trend moreso.

AaronY
01-18-2018, 10:19 PM
Blue wave shaping up. Democrats are energized more than I have ever seen in my lifetime.

you were in a coma during Obama's rise in 2008?

FuzzyLumpkins
01-18-2018, 10:43 PM

I'm pretty sure he is talking about the Texas Democratic party and the grass roots in general.

DMC
01-19-2018, 01:36 AM
Grass roots.. I'll be glad when that fucking term is beneath the grass.

RandomGuy
01-19-2018, 07:54 AM
Grass roots.. I'll be glad when that fucking term is beneath the grass.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/resistance-organized-ready-district-trump-visiting-190038294.html

Nevertheless, she persisted.

RandomGuy
01-19-2018, 07:55 AM

No. This is different. Bigger, more organized, and more pervasive.

President Pussy-Grabber has gotten progressive women into politics in large numbers.

DMC
01-19-2018, 12:54 PM
https://www.yahoo.com/news/resistance-organized-ready-district-trump-visiting-190038294.html

Nevertheless, she persisted.

That's good. Left or right, more people need to be invested in the outcome of elections. We have less than half the registered voters actually voting and many aren't even registered because they feel it doesn't change anything. I count myself in that.

DMC
01-19-2018, 12:55 PM
No. This is different. Bigger, more organized, and more pervasive.

President Pussy-Grabber has gotten progressive women into politics in large numbers.

Bigger than the Obama campaign? I don't think so.

RandomGuy
01-19-2018, 01:16 PM
That's good. Left or right, more people need to be invested in the outcome of elections. We have less than half the registered voters actually voting and many aren't even registered because they feel it doesn't change anything. I count myself in that.

I would agree for the most part. Except the registration thing. I vote almost every election (missed a local election last time), and have been helping out with registration drives. A lot of bottom up change is happening.

RandomGuy
01-19-2018, 01:18 PM
Bigger than the Obama campaign? I don't think so.

Yes, bigger than that. Obama campaign was centered on one candidate.

What is happening now is a movement that is pushing a lot of progressives into running for offices for the first time. This is a shift that is pulling a lot of people to participate who haven't before.

(edit)

Odds are some of them will win, and that creates a deeper bench of seasoned candidates for future elections, just like junior leagues create pipelines for professional sports.

RandomGuy
01-19-2018, 03:02 PM
Bit of a rah-rah piece from the Texas Democratic party, but the spreadsheet linked shows something important:

Texas Democrats are contesting more congressional, state House and state Senate seats than in any cycle in 25 years. With 111 candidates running in all 36 congressional seats, the path to yanking the U.S. Speaker’s gavel from Republican hands runs through Texas.
https://www.tribtalk.org/2018/01/15/texas-democrats-are-poised-to-win-in-2018/

That didn't happen during Obama's campaign.

This is being reflected nationwide.

View only spreadsheet showing the pattern of Democrats/Republicans running for Texas office:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xm0sylW9YwdB8ICM8lOkJmLeyS2Ocqqp1pmtp9LKsFE/edit#gid=0