PDA

View Full Version : Mavs mixed on dressing up

ducks
10-19-2005, 09:14 AM
Mavs mixed on dressing up

By DWAIN PRICE

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

AUBURN HILLS, MICH. - Mavericks players have mixed emotions about the NBA's new dress code that will be implemented when the season begins Nov. 1.

Commissioner David Stern, in what he said is an effort to enhance the league's image, has instituted a policy that requires players to wear business casual attire at all NBA games and other official league functions. Among the requirements are long or short-sleeved shirts with a collar, dress slacks, khaki pants, dress shoes or boots and socks.

The changes don't sit especially well with Mavs swingman Josh Howard, who usually wears bluejeans and a pullover shirt or jersey with a chain to games, and guard Marquis Daniels, who also prefers a more casual look.

"I don't like it," Howard said. "I just don't think it's right. A lot of people feel comfortable in what they wear and what they wear to the game, but it's going to be difficult for a lot of guys."

Daniels said one dress code policy doesn't fit all.

Forward Dirk Nowitzki, who usually wears jeans and a casual shirt to games, said that he has no problem with the new dress code. And he has a plan to make it as inexpensive as possible.

"I'll buy a couple [of suits]," Nowitzki said. "Obviously you can't buy one. You want to rotate a little bit. I'll find some stuff, and then I'll be looking slick."

Mavs owner Mark Cuban, who usually comes to games and team functions in jeans and a T-shirt, said the league is out of bounds on this issue.

"The base problem is there are owners and senior management of teams who are unable to communicate with their players," Cuban said. "If a player is dressing in a manner the team, or league, feels inappropriate, like in any business relationship, there should be a direct dialogue discussing whatever is at issue. Unfortunately because several owners and their management are unable to establish such relationships, they push the issue to the league office."

Some players have a problem with the expense of such a policy.

Mavs rookie free-agent forward Rawle Marshall has a two-year contract but only one year is guaranteed -- albeit at $398,762. He said, however, that he doesn't want to buy new clothes, especially since he won't receive his first full paycheck until Nov. 15.

"I'm living off my per diem [$102 a day] right now, so it's a tough situation," Marshall said. "But I've already got a special situation, because my uncle wears the same size as me. The rookies coming in now, we don't have money to buy some of that stuff."

Guards Jason Terry and Jerry Stackhouse, both of whom usually wear suits to games, said they aren't opposed to the dress code.

"They're paying our bills," Terry said of the NBA. "I always play better when I put on a suit anyway."

Mavs guard Darrell Armstrong said he understands the players' frustrations.

"For guys who do like to wear the hats and the jerseys, that's really going to change their style and their outfits," Armstrong said. "Now all of a sudden they have to get suits made, outfits made. But I'm already about 80 suits deep, so everybody else just got to adjust to it."

The dress code does not include owners. Thus, Cuban said: "I certainly will not be wearing a sports coat, a suit or anything that isn't sold on www.mavgear.com."