PDA

View Full Version : Parker no longer Spurs starting point guard

ducks
01-21-2018, 11:45 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/amp/Parker-no-longer-Spurs-starting-point-guard-12513985.php?__twitter_impression=true

davidbowie
01-21-2018, 11:50 PM
how many more years does Tony have ya think?

phxspurfan
01-21-2018, 11:54 PM
Perhaps this makes it official (along with Kawhi being declared out indefinitely)

Keepin' it real
01-22-2018, 12:00 AM
Perhaps this makes it official (along with Kawhi being declared out indefinitely)

What is "it"?

ElNono
01-22-2018, 12:01 AM
Fake News

SAGirl
01-22-2018, 12:04 AM
Murray has a high bar. Keeping the spot is probably just as hard as initially earning it.

still think trades are possible. If not midseason this summer.

BatManu20
01-22-2018, 12:10 AM
Right decision. It's time to see if Murray can be the starting PG of the future or not. Tony's handling it about as gracefully as one can, tbh.

Leetonidas
01-22-2018, 12:13 AM
"Just like Pau?" :lol I assume he's referring to the latter half of last season when he came back from the injury?

Surprising though, I didn't think Pop would do it. Maybe they realize this season is fucked anyway, might as well give him the keys and let him develop

DPG21920
01-22-2018, 12:15 AM
All the people on the Pop only cares about relationships thing have to be eating some crow, no? Pretty big move that is very counter to that narrative.

cd021
01-22-2018, 12:19 AM
Murray has a high bar. Keeping the spot is probably just as hard as initially earning it.

still think trades are possible. If not midseason this summer.
Part of me wonders if this isn't to showcase Murray while also showing off whomever the spurs may target at PG that Parker is fine coming off the bench.

cd021
01-22-2018, 12:22 AM
"Just like Pau?" :lol I assume he's referring to the latter half of last season when he came back from the injury?

Surprising though, I didn't think Pop would do it. Maybe they realize this season is fucked anyway, might as well give him the keys and let him develop
That is probably what Parker met, though maybe Gasol might be the next one to get benched

DPG21920
01-22-2018, 12:33 AM
I always love TP’s honesty :lol. Pop was trying to be quiet and TP comes out and tells them every detail.

NASpurs
01-22-2018, 12:37 AM
With Woj saying a couple of weeks ago "that the Spurs tried really, really hard" to get Kyrie, the writing was on the wall for TP and it was only a matter of time, whether it was Mills or Dejounte starting. Mills fizzled out and Dejounte got the nod because of age, potential and his physical tools. Saying that, the writing is on the wall for Mills too if Parker is going to be the backup even if Parker comes back next year on a discount.

Fireball
01-22-2018, 02:04 AM
I like Murray ... but its really tough to watch Parker, Forbes and Fatty come off the bench though ...

Stabula
01-22-2018, 02:53 AM
People really shit all over Parker for the last several years over his ego but honestly this is a very graceful and egoless way to embrace this situation. It's time to take a smaller role, he understands and trusts in Pop, and he'll do whatever will give the team the best chance to succeed. Impressed with his attitude.

jermaine
01-22-2018, 05:33 AM
Did you really feel you'll ever see the day Tony came off the bench!?! Seriously, or did everyone picture him walking away as a starter??

duncan2k5
01-22-2018, 06:07 AM
Part of me wonders if this isn't to showcase Murray while also showing off whomever the spurs may target at PG that Parker is fine coming off the bench.

hmm...interesting theory...

spurs10
01-22-2018, 06:23 AM
Yeah it’s national news! :lol Also Pop is going to assess the situation. Lot of people out now...if we get back to full strength, no telling what the rotations will be.

bklynspursfan
01-22-2018, 07:49 AM
All the people on the Pop only cares about relationships thing have to be eating some crow, no? Pretty big move that is very counter to that narrative.

Of course ,but you won't hear that from them. They'll just move on to their Pop theory without skipping a beat

bklynspursfan
01-22-2018, 07:51 AM

Makes sense. Tho Murray really needs to play at a showcase level and not where he's been the last month or so.

Kool Bob Love
01-22-2018, 08:05 AM
Parker deserves better.

SAGirl
01-22-2018, 08:22 AM
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22173964/san-antonio-spurs-point-guard-tony-parker-comes-bench-21st-career

Throughout Parker's return, the Spurs have worked to manage the veteran's minutes. But Parker admitted to "hitting a wall" recently, saying "I'm just more focused on my leg because I know I [still] have another two months before I feel 100 percent."

"It's getting there. I just have to keep working on it, and just be patient," Parker added. "[Cavaliers guard] Isaiah Thomas (http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/6472/isaiah-thomas), he talked about that. When you first come back you have the adrenaline. I had all the energy, and the first 10 games I was feeling great. Then I hit that wall. Because for seven months you're working so hard on your rehab to try to come back, and you have the adrenaline, and you have the juice. The last seven or eight games, I felt like I was hitting a wall because I worked so hard to come back fast. At the same time I was hitting the wall, I twisted my ankle. So, I felt like it was just bad timing with everything. But at the end of the day, you have to find a way to produce, and I have confidence in myself. I was talking to my doctor, and he told me that's normal that you're going to hit the wall. It's at 10 or 11 months that you're really, really back. They always say the second year, you'll play even better than the first year back. So that's why I have to be patient."

Also, when asked if Murray starting is a permament decision, Pop answered "we'll see."

I think Murray is just as much on the spot as Tony is.

LkrFan
01-22-2018, 08:26 AM
Woah! End of an era. RIP Sp*rs tbh :(

Floyd Pacquiao
01-22-2018, 08:37 AM
Yeah whatever, this shouldve happened in the 2015 season when he was the worst point guard in the playoffs. You start Joseph against the clippers or any other point guard and I promise you they get out of the first round.

SAGirl
01-22-2018, 08:38 AM
Woah! End of an era. RIP Sp*rs tbh :(
you could have said that when Timmy retired...
THAT was the end of an era... this one has been a long time coming.

LkrFan
01-22-2018, 08:52 AM
you could have said that when Timmy retired...
THAT was the end of an era... this one has been a long time coming.

True, but now that Tony (and Manu) are on their last legs, on the outside looking in, they are the last two legends of your dynasty. Feels like when Kobe and 0.4 retired.

I'll be interested to see Murray's growth. Tony took the reigns when he was what, 19? As much crap Spur fans give him, I say he's the 3rd best Spur of all time. For him to willingly concede his spot is commendable. Kobe wouldn't have done that :lol

cd98
01-22-2018, 08:54 AM
Parker was not playing well. I don’t think Murray is a good point guard, but he gives a little youth and athleticism, which may help with the defense and hustle. Unfortunately, Murray’s offense is abysmal.

sasaint
01-22-2018, 09:03 AM
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22173964/san-antonio-spurs-point-guard-tony-parker-comes-bench-21st-career

Also, when asked if Murray starting is a permament decision, Pop answered "we'll see."

I think Murray is just as much on the spot as Tony is.

Unfortunately, it is a pretty clear indication that Tony is determined to return next season. :(

MoSpur02
01-22-2018, 09:05 AM
Maybe Parker can be traded for Kemba Walker. :stirpot:

bklynspursfan
01-22-2018, 09:12 AM
Unfortunately, it is a pretty clear indication that Tony is determined to return next season. :(

I don't think it's unfortunate. I know for sure there were so many people here who thought Manu had to retire and were upset when he came back, and he's been one of the few bright spots this season.

Parker (still not 100%) as a backup PG isnt the worst thing.

nyspurguy
01-22-2018, 09:25 AM
Maybe Parker can be traded for Kemba Walker. :stirpot:

I'm thinking Pop's grooming TP for when they trade Patty n maybe Dejounte for Kemba

nyspurguy
01-22-2018, 09:30 AM
I'm thinking Pop's grooming TP for when they trade Patty n maybe Dejounte for Kemba

That's why PATFO signed Patty for so much..so the salaries can match when they ship him.
Wonder how Jordan feels about Patty?

nyspurguy
01-22-2018, 09:37 AM
I knew this day would eventually come. I'm just not fully prepared. I'm gonna think of all the good times Tony Parker brought me as a starter.

cd021
01-22-2018, 09:40 AM
Yeah whatever, this shouldve happened in the 2015 season when he was the worst point guard in the playoffs. You start Joseph against the clippers or any other point guard and I promise you they get out of the first round.

That may have been the worst Parker's ever looked in a Spurs uniform, Ginobili too come to think of it, but he bounced back the following year and had a decent season considering how bad he looked in the Clippers series and playing internationally.

The timing of this benching is facinating to me, why now? He played poorly last year for games at a time and Mills was probably better (up until the post season) swapping Mills in for Parker made plenty of sense then but Pop chooses to give the keys to Murray who despite being a good defender and rebounder is an poor offensive player is just odd. Then there's the Parker, Mills, Manu, bench trio-thats going to be an adventure.

MoSpur02
01-22-2018, 09:42 AM
I’m actually okay with this move. I just don’t like what the second unit looks like now. Parker, Mills, and Forbes playing together is horrible.

BatManu20
01-22-2018, 09:42 AM

SAGirl
01-22-2018, 09:48 AM
That may have been the worst Parker's ever looked in a Spurs uniform, Ginobili too come to think of it, but he bounced back the following year and had a decent season considering how bad he looked in the Clippers series and playing internationally.

The timing of this benching is facinating to me, why now? He played poorly last year for games at a time and Mills was probably better (up until the post season) swapping Mills in for Parker made plenty of sense then but Pop chooses to give the keys to Murray who despite being a good defender and rebounder is an poor offensive player is just odd. Then there's the Parker, Mills, Manu, bench trio-thats going to be an adventure.

It's perplexing but Tony has not been playing well. He has gotten injured again since he came back from the injury... if he's not 100% and will need rest games it adds another layer of unpredictability to keep changing lineups all the time. Tony's body itself may not be able to handle a starting level load anymore. It has to be at least a factor they consider.

cd021
01-22-2018, 09:50 AM

Is my thinking. The timing of this is just odd, it feels more like a showcase for Murray who could be apart of a theoritical trade along with Mills for Kemba.

SAGirl
01-22-2018, 09:52 AM
I have no doubt about it, unless his body tells him NO MAS with another severe injury it's obvious he doesn't want to retire. He hopefully comes back on a very small deal. I actually can picture Manu retiring and Tony taking his spot on the bench but they really need to ship off Patty Mills at this point. A future bench of let's say Tony, Patty, and someone like White is going to be gross.

SAGirl
01-22-2018, 09:53 AM
Is my thinking. The timing of this is just odd, it feels more like a showcase for Murray who could be apart of a theoritical trade along with Mills for Kemba.

good point.
One can hope... and yet... can't hope... it's such a disappointment when the Spurs stand pat with what isn't working.

sasaint
01-22-2018, 09:55 AM
I don't think it's unfortunate. I know for sure there were so many people here who thought Manu had to retire and were upset when he came back, and he's been one of the few bright spots this season.

Parker (still not 100%) as a backup PG isnt the worst thing.

Parker at his current level makes his return unfortunate. If he can elevate his level of play to even his '16 - '17 level that would not be the worst thing.

I wish Manu had retired. I think that clinging to the past - in the form of Tony, Manu, Pau and even Rudy and Mills - is only delaying the inevitable. If Kawhi had not gone down "indefinitely", it is doubtful that Pop would make this move now.

For almost 20 years, Timmy's greatness masked the fact that the Spurs draft/pipeline did not deliver enough rotation-level players - not transient re-treads. The team needed to bring in rotation-level players every +/- 3. Since we have not, however, Pop has been scrambling all season to find out if we have any rotation-level players/eventual starters among Forbes, BPaul and Bertans. (I think Pop believes that Murray is the PG of the future until/unless Murray proves him wrong.)

I believe our best case scenario is for Tony to bounce back in his role as back-up PG, and for Mills to be relieved of the PG duties and revert to being the effective SG he was prior to the deluge of injuries forced him into the starting PG role.

Keepin' it real
01-22-2018, 10:01 AM
I expect this news to dominate all the national sports shows today. Even the Super Bowl takes a backseat to this.

sasaint
01-22-2018, 10:28 AM
I have no doubt about it, unless his body tells him NO MAS with another severe injury it's obvious he doesn't want to retire. He hopefully comes back on a very small deal. I actually can picture Manu retiring and Tony taking his spot on the bench but they really need to ship off Patty Mills at this point. A future bench of let's say Tony, Patty, and someone like White is going to be gross.

Tony Duran?! Nunca! Not without some persuasion from PATFO...

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-22-2018, 10:59 AM
I think Tony will be back in the starting lineup soon. LMA needs Tony feeding him the ball in the right spots. I think Tony can be a liability in some ways, but he does know how to run Pop's offense. I'm all for giving Murray a shot, but so far he hasn't shown me he's got the point guard skills to run an NBA offense effectively. I like his size, athleticism, rebounding, speed...he has most of the tools, but there's a special knack that a good point guard has for making everyone around him better. I haven't seen that yet from Murray.

superbigtime
01-22-2018, 11:10 AM
this is not going to end well

gambit1990
01-22-2018, 12:05 PM
i’ve been for tony not starting for a really long time.

brought it up before though, when you do that he doesn’t fit off the bench with manu/kyle/rudy/patty.

trade him.

BillMc
01-22-2018, 12:10 PM

Washed up knows washed up. :lol

spurraider21
01-22-2018, 12:10 PM
tony handled this with more class than all his ST haters could have ever imagined tbh

:toast

BillMc
01-22-2018, 12:11 PM
i’ve been for tony not starting for a really long time.

brought it up before though, when you do that he doesn’t fit off the bench with manu/kyle/rudy/patty.

trade him.

Damn gambit your sig is....mesmerising...:toast

BillMc
01-22-2018, 12:11 PM
tony handled this with more class than all his ST haters could have ever imagined tbh

Absolutely. :toast

SpursforSix
01-22-2018, 12:13 PM
I have a theory that they signed Mills to that awful contract just to shut everyone up about Parker's contract.

dbreiden83080
01-22-2018, 12:38 PM
Great

Now he can be re-signed. Big pay cut and the back up..

dbreiden83080
01-22-2018, 12:41 PM
Parker deserves better.

What does he deserve? He's been here forever made a ton of money, and won rings. Spurs have treated him like a prince.

phxspurfan
01-22-2018, 12:42 PM
I think Tony will be back in the starting lineup soon. LMA needs Tony feeding him the ball in the right spots. I think Tony can be a liability in some ways, but he does know how to run Pop's offense. I'm all for giving Murray a shot, but so far he hasn't shown me he's got the point guard skills to run an NBA offense effectively. I like his size, athleticism, rebounding, speed...he has most of the tools, but there's a special knack that a good point guard has for making everyone around him better. I haven't seen that yet from Murray.

Yes but with Kawhi out what's the point. Might as well rest everyone and give the young'ns minutes if they're giving up on Kawhi's season.

OTOH if Kawhi was healthy and a frontrunner for MVP this year (like he should have been) there's no way Parker is coming off the bench right now.

gambit1990
01-22-2018, 01:08 PM
Damn gambit your sig is....mesmerising...:toast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2p1XN6VYhbM

BillMc
01-22-2018, 01:18 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2p1XN6VYhbM
:bobo

John B
01-22-2018, 01:20 PM
Pops has a way with passing the torch, which SJAX did not appreciate, and which Tony gracefully embraced. It’s up to Murray to show up now that it’s clear. With the consistent minutes, who knows. I think that clears any trade speculation for a PG. Murray is it until the end of the season. Then FO can evaluate later on, but Murray would have the rest of the season to prove himself. And I wish him the best.

TheGreatYacht
01-22-2018, 01:33 PM
My nigga gets benched and 'Kawhi is unhappy' rumors come out? Color me fucking shocked.

We're fucked. Thanks Poop.

baseline bum
01-22-2018, 01:36 PM
With Woj saying a couple of weeks ago "that the Spurs tried really, really hard" to get Kyrie, the writing was on the wall for TP and it was only a matter of time, whether it was Mills or Dejounte starting. Mills fizzled out and Dejounte got the nod because of age, potential and his physical tools. Saying that, the writing is on the wall for Mills too if Parker is going to be the backup even if Parker comes back next year on a discount.

What writing is there for Mills? About the only thing you could write him is "hey we're stuck with you, 50."

Atl Spur
01-22-2018, 02:48 PM
I have a theory that they signed Mills to that awful contract just to shut everyone up about Parker's contract.

I think they knew at some point Money would have to be matched to facilitate a trade; less money requires more players/assets

Brazil
01-22-2018, 03:11 PM

:lol only dumbfucks were doubting... he is saying the same thing for years now... when his time come he will go to the bench without any issues.

SpursforSix
01-22-2018, 04:08 PM
:lol only dumbfucks were doubting... he is saying the same thing for years now... when his time come he will go to the bench without any issues.

Too bad his time didn't come earlier with signing or trading for an actual starting caliber PG.

Play Boban
01-22-2018, 11:48 PM
I’m a Parker haters but Murray is worse.

SequSpur
01-23-2018, 12:03 AM
Yeah Murray is terrible. Dude has no upside. Can't shoot and lacks the sense between the ears. Parker was schooling NBA mother fuckers at 17 years old. GTFO of here...

Spurtacular
01-23-2018, 02:25 AM
This was long overdue. But it shouldn't have happened now and this way. Pop just needed to cut Parker's minutes for now.

Brazil
01-23-2018, 09:25 AM
I hope for the Spurs and Parker sake that he will play off the bench for the rest of his career. He will bring more on the table there tbh... too old and too much mileage to compete with the starters.

Nevertheless I would not be surprised to seem him back when come the POs tbh... Murray is a great kid and this is the correct bet but if Kawhi finally come back and Spurs suddenly decide to play seriously the POs there is a good chance he will be back in the SL after a couple of games :lol

Proxy
01-23-2018, 12:08 PM
starting to wonder if any part of moving Murray to the SL is because of Kawhi, assuming rumors of him worrying about the future of the team have any kind of legitimacy at all.

Like, "yo KL, here we are putting in our future PG ahead of schedule for you."

Keepin' it real
01-23-2018, 12:35 PM
I’m a Parker haters but Murray is worse.

:cry

Play Boban
01-23-2018, 01:26 PM
starting to wonder if any part of moving Murray to the SL is because of Kawhi, assuming rumors of him worrying about the future of the team have any kind of legitimacy at all.

Like, "yo KL, here we are putting in our future PG ahead of schedule for you."

Murray is a future couch warmer. He's no starting point guard.

TheGreatYacht
01-23-2018, 02:05 PM
Everything was going well until Poop benched HOTS. Now Kawhi wants out

SAGirl
02-05-2018, 01:37 PM
http://www.nba.com/article/2018/02/05/morning-tip-san-antonio-spurs-point-guard-legacy-dejounte-murray-tony-parker#/
”A lot of people don’t understand the relationship I have with Pop, the respect we have for each other,” Parker said. "And so, for me, it’s like, I’ll trust him. Whatever happens. I have a feeling that he’ll take care of me my whole career, and I know he will until I’m finished. When he told me he thought it was best for the team, me coming off the bench and play with Manu, maybe we’ll bring some energy and stuff like that, I believe him. I trust him. And if he thinks we can do something even better with for team, I’m fine with it. I’ve been very blessed to be with the Spurs all those years, and that’s part of our mentality. Me, Manu, Timmy, always sharing for the team.”

“You have to look at the big picture,” Parker said. “For me, as a professional, that’s what you have to do that, anyway. You have to rehab. They pay me a lot of money, and so that’s part of it. I never saw it like that. My relationship with Pop goes deeper than that. He knows how hard I worked to come back, and R.C. (Buford, the Spurs’ general manager), too. So that’s why, for me, I just look at the big picture. I really believe that they will take care of me.”

About Murray, he said:
I think the biggest thing is staying positive, because you’re going to have your ups and downs,” Parker said. “Now, a lot of people are going to have a lot of expectations of him, and you know how hard Pop is. You know how he is. At the point guard position, it’s not easy to play for him …
“I’m just trying to be there for (Murray), you know -- support, whatever questions he has, and using all my knowledge that I have. I think I know the system even better than Pop. I’m just trying to help him as much as I can. It’s not going to be an easy transition, because as we play better teams, and playoffs, you know how hard it is.”

BatManu20
02-05-2018, 01:42 PM
Tony getting a 3-year deal this offseason confirmed.

SAGirl
02-05-2018, 01:44 PM
absolutely. I thought the same.

With Tony's candor... it does give insight to the family atmosphere that they have in San Antonio. They may not be good enough right now to dominate (they are missing Kawhi it's obvious they miss him.)... but they are still keeping to their core values.

Play Boban
02-05-2018, 02:07 PM
Start Parker.

Seventyniner
02-05-2018, 02:16 PM
absolutely. I thought the same.

With Tony's candor... it does give insight to the family atmosphere that they have in San Antonio. They may not be good enough right now to dominate (they are missing Kawhi it's obvious they miss him.)... but they are still keeping to their core values.

This. It explains nearly every move the team makes. The Spurs run their team differently than most, and while many give all the credit to Tim Duncan, I can't do the same. He deserves the lion's share, but I think Tim and Pop together (with RC too ofc) built the core of the system, a long-term strategic way of doing things that Pop has stuck to even after Tim retired. So while many want the Spurs to turn their roster over more and stop re-signing their own guys so often, I don't have a problem with sticking with what has worked and is in fact still working.

It's like a family business that refuses to pay as little and charge as much as they can possibly get away with, instead choosing to focus on keeping key employees happy even if it means overpaying them, and not chasing every penny of profit at any cost.

dabom
02-05-2018, 02:19 PM
Start Parker.

Go make a Play Parker account.

SAGirl
02-05-2018, 02:28 PM
This. It explains nearly every move the team makes. The Spurs run their team differently than most, and while many give all the credit to Tim Duncan, I can't do the same. He deserves the lion's share, but I think Tim and Pop together (with RC too ofc) built the core of the system, a long-term strategic way of doing things that Pop has stuck to even after Tim retired. So while many want the Spurs to turn their roster over more and stop re-signing their own guys so often, I don't have a problem with sticking with what has worked and is in fact still working.

It's like a family business that refuses to pay as little and charge as much as they can possibly get away with, instead choosing to focus on keeping key employees happy even if it means overpaying them, and not chasing every penny of profit at any cost.
yes... I disagree with standing pat when the wheels are starting to fall off obviously and I have wanted them to improve their guard situation, so I haven't been a happy camper... but at least they are consistent with what they are doing and Tony and Manu do have a little left in the tank, plus they set the example.

One has to hope Kawhi appreciates all this. It can all come crashing down in an instant if he doesn't. Talent wins in this league and Spurs have to keep their best guy. I hope they haven't screwed things up with him. I believe the rumors really stem from him being unhappy that he's injured.

Other than that... I have started to think more and more the Spurs really are standing pat right now and probably for the summer too. Only a real big fish like a Lebron (last season they would only have done it for CP3, and they tried to trade for Irving) would prompt the Spurs to move guys and disband the group... and I don't expect a big fish.

Just got to hope Dejounte, White, Forbes (as far as guards) and any others they may add continue getting better.

bklynspursfan
02-05-2018, 02:36 PM

+1

Play Boban
02-05-2018, 07:06 PM
Go make a Play Parker account.
Not a bad idea. :lobt2:

sasaint
02-05-2018, 07:13 PM

Man, this team will not make a change until the new guys are old enough to be old.

TheGreatYacht
02-05-2018, 07:18 PM
HOTS had 9 assists and still got benched during crunch time. Inexcusable. Fatty Mills continues to choke game after game and still closes because of that 50M contract smd

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-07-2018, 09:44 AM
Parker is the best PG this team has and probably needs to still be starting. He's the only point guard we have capable of getting his teammates involved.