PDA

View Full Version : Tech passing game to keep UT hopping

Jimcs50
10-19-2005, 09:15 AM
Oct. 19, 2005, 12:54AM

Tech passing game to keep UT hopping
Longhorns hope to stay fresh by rotating players
By JOSEPH DUARTE
AUSTIN - There might be more traffic than usual Saturday at Royal-Memorial Stadium.

The most congested route: in front of the Texas sideline.

Coaches of second-ranked Texas are preparing to rotate players frequently against 10th-ranked Texas Tech, a team with a reputation for piling up a ton of yardage and lots of points and controlling the clock.

"They totally wear you out if you don't substitute," UT coach Mack Brown said. "When you come into this one, you figure you're going to play everybody."

Aware his defense could be in for a long afternoon, UT co-defensive coordinator Gene Chizik was only half-joking when he told offensive coordinator Greg Davis to "feel free to put together four or five drives" resembling the Longhorns' 16-play, 90-yard opening possession against Colorado last week.

Tech enters this week's showdown of 6-0 teams leading the nation in scoring offense (53.7 points per game) and second in total offense (572.8 yards).

The Red Raiders are averaging 77.2 plays per game, with 69 percent coming on passes. In last week's 59-20 victory over Kansas State, Tech ran 97 plays, 72 through the air.

To UT defensive end Brian Robison, that's like running 40-yard sprints the entire game trying to get to the quarterback.

"We're making provisions to get depth everywhere," Chizik said. "We just know the nature of this game and what it can turn into."

The Longhorns will not see another team with Tech's offensive ability unless they face Southern California in the national championship game. Even USC won't rely on the passing game as much.

UT's six opponents this season have averaged 21 fewer passes than the Red Raiders.

"We won't face anybody who throws half as many as they throw in this game," Brown said.

Tech has controlled time of possession for more than half the game's 60 minutes four times this season.

That means opposing defenses not only have to contend with keeping Tech from scoring at will but also avoiding fatigue. The Longhorns plan to use an eight-man rotation along the defensive line, six different linebackers and anywhere from seven to eight defensive backs.

Most teams would not have that luxury, but the Longhorns' talent runs two- and three-deep at some positions.

In contrast, Brown said UT didn't have enough defensive backs to use its nickel (five defensive backs) and dime (six) packages three years ago in a 42-38 loss in Lubbock.

"If it turns into a 90- to 100-play game, we don't want one guy playing 80 and the other guy playing 20," Chizik said. "I don't think numbers-wise you can hold up near the end of the game if you do that."

Among the possibilities Chizik mentioned were taking a linebacker and using him at defensive end. Brown also said several young players on the defensive line will see action, including true freshman Chris Brown, who will be counted on for a speedy pass rush.

A year ago in a 51-21 win, the Longhorns exploited Tech's lack of a running game by using a three-man front and keeping at least five defensive backs in coverage. The Horns also worked in a variety of zone blitzes.

By rotating players, Chizik said the Longhorns can remain physical and aggressive, staples that have resulted in the third-ranked defense in the country.

"Whatever we deem necessary we'll do," Chizik said.

Jimcs50
10-19-2005, 09:19 AM
UT needs to keep the ball as long as they can, because as this says, TT will just keep going at you til you tire out.

I feel UT is by far the superior team and will prevail, but I think Tech can put some points of the board to the tune of 30+, so UT will have to have their A game offensively.

My guess is that UT wins 52-35.

Marcus Bryant
10-19-2005, 09:27 AM
Problem is Tech's Oline.

FromWayDowntown
10-19-2005, 09:37 AM
UT needs to keep the ball as long as they can, because as this says, TT will just keep going at you til you tire out.

I feel UT is by far the superior team and will prevail, but I think Tech can put some points of the board to the tune of 30+, so UT will have to have their A game offensively.

My guess is that UT wins 52-35.

Of course UT is the superior team. UT gets droves of athletes that Tech couldn't dream of recruiting.

The question for Tech is number of plays, but really, it comes down to time of possession. When they have kept the ball for around 30 minutes against Texas, the games have been close. Last year, they had the ball for a little over 20 minutes and got smoked.

NoMoneyDown
10-19-2005, 10:11 AM
Tech has yet to play a team with Texas' caliber yet. The closest they've come this far is perhaps Nebraska, and we all know how that game went. Here's an excerpt from the post-game write-up:

Had it not been for Nebraska nose tackle Le Kevin Smith fumbling while returning an interception, No. 15 Texas Tech wouldn't have been in position for Cody Hodges to throw a 10-yard touchdown pass to Joel Filani with 12 seconds left in a 34-31 victory Saturday.
Not only was it amazing that the Nebraska player screwd-up and did not take a knee after the interception; not only was it amazing that Hodges threw the game-winning pass with 12 seconds remaining; the most amazing thing was Nebraska held Tech to 27 points with 12 seconds left in the game.

This being Tech's ONLY other road game of the season, I figure they'll implode to Texas' defense. Corey and Tech receivers, meet the Longhorn turf - up close.

FromWayDowntown
10-19-2005, 10:13 AM
Tech has yet to play a team with Texas' caliber yet.

According to Orangebloods, there are no other teams of Texas' caliber.

Even if you believe those biased voters in those polls, the only team of Texas' caliber in the whole country is USC, and Tech hasn't played them.

What a brilliant observation.

NoMoneyDown
10-19-2005, 10:29 AM

Even if you believe those biased voters in those polls, the only team of Texas' caliber in the whole country is USC, and Tech hasn't played them.

So you're saying Tech's road to this point has been harder than Texas'? :lol :lol :lol

Yeah, I think I'll take your assessment over the coaches, sportswriters, bookies, etc. :angel

Louae
10-19-2005, 10:39 AM

I'm definately not a typical UT sheep. But against Texas Tech. The Longhorns have too much talent. If this game was in Lubbock, I'd be a little worried about the Longhorns pulling this game out. But with Vincent Young under center, the talent level gap and being at home. It's just too much for Tech to overcome. Tech being undefeated coming into this matchup is a credit to the coaching staff at Texas Tech. They've done a hell-of-a-job. And they've come a long way, but the road will stop in Austin. Longhorns will win big.

Jimcs50
10-19-2005, 10:51 AM
I'm definately not a typical UT sheep. But against Texas Tech. The Longhorns have too much talent. If this game in Lubbock, I'd be a little worried about the Longhorns pulling this game out. But with Vincent Young under center, the talent level gap and being at home. It's just too much for Tech to overcome. Tech being undefeated coming into this matchup is a credit to the coaching staff at Texas Tech. They've done a hell-of-a-job. And they've come a long way, but the road will stop in Austin. Longhorns will win big.

I agree

FromWayDowntown
10-19-2005, 11:27 AM
So you're saying Tech's road to this point has been harder than Texas'? :lol :lol :lol

No, Captain Comprehension. I'm saying that there is only one team in the country that is of UT's caliber, and that is USC. And you're right -- Tech hasn't yet played a team that is of the caliber of UT (mostly because there aren't many such teams).

samikeyp
10-19-2005, 11:58 AM
No, Captain Comprehension

Is that like Captain Caveman? :lol

Jdspur20
10-19-2005, 04:29 PM
Tech has yet to play a team with Texas' caliber yet. The closest they've come this far is perhaps Nebraska, and we all know how that game went. Here's an excerpt from the post-game write-up:

Not only was it amazing that the Nebraska player screwd-up and did not take a knee after the interception; not only was it amazing that Hodges threw the game-winning pass with 12 seconds remaining; the most amazing thing was Nebraska held Tech to 27 points with 12 seconds left in the game.

This being Tech's ONLY other road game of the season, I figure they'll implode to Texas' defense. Corey and Tech receivers, meet the Longhorn turf - up close.

you talk as if tech is the only team to ever catch a lucky break. if the samething happened to UT, you would be calling it a great game played by a great team. the point is, tech had an oportunity, and they capitalized on it.

mookie2001
10-19-2005, 05:07 PM
yeah yeah
Tech is great
theyre number 8
thats why I'm glad Texas is gonna beat the shit out of them

desertlobo
10-20-2005, 04:38 PM
That's why I'm glad Texas is #2 in the nation so we can hear how lucky Tech was when they beat Texas. RAIDIER!.......POWER!

Jdspur20
10-21-2005, 12:23 AM
yeah yeah
Tech is great
theyre number 8
thats why I'm glad Texas is gonna beat the shit out of them

no one said tech was great, you said that. your putting words in my mouth which i was not implying. why don't you get over yourself. thats the problem with a dumbass fan like yourself, no one is worth a shit outside of UT football in your mind. and that is where your wrong.

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-21-2005, 12:54 AM
I'm saying that there is only one team in the country that is of UT's caliber, and that is USC.

I think you're discounting Va. Tech in that statement.

FromWayDowntown
10-21-2005, 09:44 AM
I think you're discounting Va. Tech in that statement.

Even if you include Va Tech (and I'm not so sure anymore after last night) the guy's point is still absurd.

mookie2001
10-21-2005, 09:58 AM
no one said tech was great, you said that. your putting words in my mouth which i was not implying. why don't you get over yourself. thats the problem with a dumbass fan like yourself, no one is worth a shit outside of UT football in your mind. and that is where your wrong.I didnt say you said tech was great
dont put words in my mouth

Jdspur20
10-22-2005, 12:49 AM
I didnt say you said tech was great
dont put words in my mouth
yeah yeah
Tech is great
theyre number 8-(mookie2001), i was implying you were being sarcastic towards my previous post.