PDA

View Full Version : RIP Ursula K LeGuin

leemajors
01-23-2018, 06:02 PM
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/23/obituaries/ursula-k-le-guin-acclaimed-for-her-fantasy-fiction-is-dead-at-88.html

She wrote some damn good books. Lathe of Heaven, Left Hand of Darkness.

200 miles
01-23-2018, 07:22 PM
Left hand of darkness was the book that sucked me into the Hainish universe when I was a teenager. How that book was never made into a miniseries let alone a film is beyond me.

Avante
01-24-2018, 12:25 AM
Planet of Exile and City of Illusions got me hooked. Her masterpiece...Left Hand of Darkness, must be in everyones sci fi collection.

She has won Hugo's, Nebula, Jupiter awards.

I have her Earthsea trilogy but haven't started it yet. In my opinion the best female*** sci fi author. And I have no problems putting her in with Asimov, Heinlien, Clarke.

RIP

*** Leigh Brackett is pretty good.

Chinook
01-24-2018, 12:36 AM
RIP. Was surprised to find she was even alive last year. Read Earthsea and Left Hand. Both good and in two very different ways. Her preface to Hand really helped put Sci-Fi into perspective for me.

Avante
01-24-2018, 02:10 AM
If sci fi is one of your things, give Olaf Stapeldon a look, his ...ODD JOHN...must read.

pgardn
01-24-2018, 07:42 AM
The Word For World Is Forest

Was surprisingly good.

I am not a Sci Fi fan at all, but her examination into social structures concerning sex and environment were strangely thoughtful. Very good characters... I had no idea there was a thoughtful non scientist type that ventured where she did. I was not looking for the continuing type of fantasy with some group of psuedo people and their adventures and evolution. This lady had some really good questions about us and brought it out well in fantasy.

Big feminist and environmentalist, in this work anyways. Surprised the #metoo community is not all over this passing. Maybe it is. Also read the Left Hand of Darkness. Good stuff on society, rules, and governing and the view on separate sexes. Edward Snowden and the transgender "traitor" would like this book.

leemajors
01-24-2018, 08:44 AM
RIP. Was surprised to find she was even alive last year. Read Earthsea and Left Hand. Both good and in two very different ways. Her preface to Hand really helped put Sci-Fi into perspective for me.

I would highly recommend Lathe of Heaven.

Avante
01-24-2018, 01:11 PM
Highly recommend this read....

A Reader's Guide to Science Fiction....Baird Searles, Martin West, Beth Meacham and Michael Franklin (an Avon book)

Here we have little mini bios on all the who is who in the genre (up to 1979 meaning we get all the old legends). A fantastic read. There is a list in the back of the must reads in sci fi....obviously Left Hand of Darkness is there. The only author with two on the list....Olaf Stapeldon.

What is considered the first sci fi novel? The 1818 Frankenstein by the teenage Mary Shelley, how she came to the story a great read in it's self.

When it comes to the supernatural, horror....H.P.Lovecraft

Fantasy....Lord Dunsany

Sword & Sorcery....Robert E. Howard

pgardn
01-24-2018, 02:59 PM
Planet of Exile and City of Illusions got me hooked. Her masterpiece...Left Hand of Darkness, must be in everyones sci fi collection.

She has won Hugo's, Nebula, Jupiter awards.

I have her Earthsea trilogy but haven't started it yet. In my opinion the best female*** sci fi author. And I have no problems putting her in with Asimov, Heinlien, Clarke.

RIP

*** Leigh Brackett is pretty good.

Read his nonfiction on acceleration.
It's very "straightforward".

Avante
01-24-2018, 03:13 PM

Dude, you are boring...ok?

SpursforSix
01-24-2018, 03:40 PM
NM

pgardn
01-24-2018, 07:09 PM
Dude, you are boring...ok?

Dude?

Dude. When that dude fell... That was dude!

Avante
01-24-2018, 09:39 PM
Dude?

Dude. When that dude fell... That was dude!

Dude, comment on the topic of a thread make it something close to what a thread is about, ok? Get off trying to pester other posters, ok dude?

Make your ..acceleration..thread and see how many just don't care, ok?

pgardn
01-24-2018, 11:26 PM
Dude, comment on the topic of a thread make it something close to what a thread is about, ok? Get off trying to pester other posters, ok dude?

Make your ..acceleration..thread and see how many just don't care, ok?

YOU cared enough to get hammered for around 5 pages...

Dude.

And if you want to get willow whipped again, I charge by the hour.

You feel no shame in telling someone else to stop changing a thread?
Go to Church and beg forgiveness for the hypocrisy.

Avante
01-24-2018, 11:32 PM
YOU cared enough to get hammered for around 5 pages...

Dude.

And if you want to get willow whipped again, I charge by the hour.

You feel no shame in telling someone else to stop changing a thread?
Go to Church and beg forgiveness for the hypocrisy.

Dude, start a thread all your very own about anything pertaining to sprinting and you will once again be totally taken to school. BUT....this thread isn't about that so have some class ya sack of shit, ok?

Avante
01-24-2018, 11:34 PM
I apologize for this idiot, yep, no class.

Chucho
01-24-2018, 11:44 PM

It's this straight-to-the-point insight that makes you the go-to guy for sprinting and speed here at SpursTalk.

Avante
01-24-2018, 11:56 PM
It's this straight-to-the-point insight that makes you the go-to guy for sprinting and speed here at SpursTalk.

Do this, ask te guy anything at all about the athletes involved in the sport, he hasn't a clue. And he doesn't get the mechanics of ...how to sprint...either. What he talks about is gibberish.

Chucho
01-25-2018, 12:02 AM
Do this, ask te guy anything at all about the athletes involved in the sport, he hasn't a clue. And he doesn't get the mechanics of ...how to sprint...either. What he talks about is gibberish.

No need to discredit him. This isnt an election, he is the go-to guy for sprinting and speed. If he's not available, I can rely on Spursfor6. He knows his stuff too, he ran a sub 20 before.

Avante
01-25-2018, 12:20 AM
No need to discredit him. This isnt an election, he is the go-to guy for sprinting and speed. If he's not available, I can rely on Spursfor6. He knows his stuff too, he ran a sub 20 before.

Dude, ask those two this....

1. What college had two WR 60 yard dash sprinters there together?
2. Who is the only sub 10.00/13.00 athlete?
3. Give me the names of the others 4x1 relayers with George Anderson on anchor.
4. Give me the 26 foot long (and further) jumpers in the NFL history.
5. Who are the fastest father and son?

Watch how little those two know. I could ask them 100 questions and they couldn't get even one right.

pgardn
01-25-2018, 07:58 AM
Dude, start a thread all your very own about anything pertaining to sprinting and you will once again be totally taken to school. BUT....this thread isn't about that so have some class ya sack of shit, ok?

Why don't you start a thread? Oh snap...

I got what I want but not from you. (The expert on so much)
You claim to know track and can't even begin to make a coherent thought on your own besides juggling names and times and schools in a sociopathic incessant listing frenzy.

Lathe of Heaven it is. From a real source.

And you said:

My knowledge comes from my interest in the things I talk about. Who doesn;'t bone up on what they care about? still subscribe to Track & Field News (since 66). I can answer questions NOBODY...comes remotely close to answering them. First off nobody will ever take the time needed, second off I'd ask in a way that you'd just have to know like I do.

leemajors
01-25-2018, 09:26 AM

:tu

Pavlov
01-25-2018, 11:35 AM
Dude, ask those two this....

1. What college had two WR 60 yard dash sprinters there together?
2. Who is the only sub 10.00/13.00 athlete?
3. Give me the names of the others 4x1 relayers with George Anderson on anchor.
4. Give me the 26 foot long (and further) jumpers in the NFL history.
5. Who are the fastest father and son?

Watch how little those two know. I could ask them 100 questions and they couldn't get even one right.

this thread isn't about that so have some class ya sack of shit, ok?

Avante
01-25-2018, 01:55 PM
Why don't you start a thread? Oh snap...

I got what I want but not from you. (The expert on so much)
You claim to know track and can't even begin to make a coherent thought on your own besides juggling names and times and schools in a sociopathic incessant listing frenzy.

Lathe of Heaven it is. From a real source.

And you said:

My knowledge comes from my interest in the things I talk about. Who doesn;'t bone up on what they care about? still subscribe to Track & Field News (since 66). I can answer questions NOBODY...comes remotely close to answering them. First off nobody will ever take the time needed, second off I'd ask in a way that you'd just have to know like I do.

The thing is you aren't actually talking sprinting. You don't understand it and it's really obvious. You are all carried away with things that take on a different meaning when being associated with sprinting. And it's not complex, and you think it is. All we see from you is some idiot totally confused.

Dude, we could write a paper on....a tear. What does it take to get to that point? When.....it's just a tear and not really worth all that. For you to get all carried away with acceleration....hahahaha~~~ That tells us just how damn stupid you really are, yes......sprinters do accelerate......honest.

You are a giant bore guy, but you have been told this before, right?

Avante
01-25-2018, 01:56 PM
Pavlov

I agree, I should ignore the idiots.

pgardn
01-25-2018, 05:05 PM
The thing is you aren't actually talking sprinting. You don't understand it and it's really obvious. You are all carried away with things that take on a different meaning when being associated with sprinting. And it's not complex, and you think it is. All we see from you is some idiot totally confused.

Dude, we could write a paper on....a tear. What does it take to get to that point? When.....it's just a tear and not really worth all that. For you to get all carried away with acceleration....hahahaha~~~ That tells us just how damn stupid you really are, yes......sprinters do accelerate......honest.

You are a giant bore guy, but you have been told this before, right?

You know nothing about running a turn.
Absolutely nothing.
You don't understand acceleration.

You wanna paper? go back to the 5 pages in which you were dismantled. It was a slow methodical process because of your dull nature. So yea, you understand boring.

And then you quit once I started asking you about lanes on turns.
Your head exploded because you had to think instead of memorize.

Chucho
01-25-2018, 05:12 PM
Absolutely nothing.

You wanna paper? go back to the 5 pages in which you were dismantled. It was a slow methodical process because of your dull nature. So yea, you understand boring.

This is why pgardn is sought out for sprinting and speed information.

Avante
01-25-2018, 05:39 PM
Absolutely nothing.

Dude, there is nothing to think about this is where ya show your stupidity about sprinting. Do you honestly believe a sprinter is plotting things out in a 200m,......hahahaha~~~ All you accomplished was to show everybody just how damn stupid you really are when it comes to sprinting.

I gave it up because your ignorance and boring ass style were just too damn....boring.

Dude, you don't get sprinting, and it's so damn obvious,ok stupid?

Dummy, what ya talk about is things a cat can improve on in his training. and what he needs to do to bring his times down, meaning he will more competitive. Running off at the mouth over silly shit like ya do, hahahahaha~~~~~~~~

Dummy, following me around from thread to thread says it all about your dumn ass, ok? So start a thread about sprintiing or shut the fuck up, got that bitch?

Avante
01-25-2018, 05:41 PM
This is why pgardn is sought out for sprinting and speed information.

Then ask the guy any question and watch the....DUH~~~

Chucho
01-25-2018, 06:46 PM
Then ask the guy any question and watch the....DUH~~~

Why are you so upset? When I need info, I go to him. I don't generally ask a whole lot of questions about speed and track, no one really does, but when I do, I go to pgardn.

Pavlov
01-25-2018, 06:55 PM
Why are you so upset? When I need info, I go to him. I don't generally ask a whole lot of questions about speed and track, no one really does, but when I do, I go to pgardn.Actually, pgardn explains everything so clearly I no longer have any questions about speed or track at all. I merely wait for him to answer questions I never even knew to think about much less ask. That's how knowledgeable the guy is.

pgardn
01-25-2018, 07:14 PM
My teacher was Spurs46

20... The kid could run the turn.

pgardn
01-25-2018, 07:24 PM
Dude, there is nothing to think about this is where ya show your stupidity about sprinting. Do you honestly believe a sprinter is plotting things out in a 200m,......hahahaha~~~ All you accomplished was to show everybody just how damn stupid you really are when it comes to sprinting.

I gave it up because your ignorance and boring ass style were just too damn....boring.

Dude, you don't get sprinting, and it's so damn obvious,ok stupid?

Dummy, what ya talk about is things a cat can improve on in his training. and what he needs to do to bring his times down, meaning he will more competitive. Running off at the mouth over silly shit like ya do, hahahahaha~~~~~~~~

Dummy, following me around from thread to thread says it all about your dumn ass, ok? So start a thread about sprintiing or shut the fuck up, got that bitch?

Plotting things...
Plotting things...

200 or 400 m must understand turns. You must practice the stride on a turn because your Fckn right side covers more ground than your left side ya Fckn idiot. It's not a straight race.

Pick a fckn lane based on the physical effort (thru force) that must be exerted in order to change directions. Let's use a constant speed of 10m/s. Pick a Fckn lane and tell me about the acceleration. Calculate you dork? You like numbers, calculate it for each lane. I learned this from a HS coach. You cut and paste a track article on phases of a straight race? Well now do this for the 200 and 400. Give me numbers.
Now.

You can ask any coach of an elite athlete and they would write pages and pages of why they like a certain lane from a purely physical perspective. Don't you play your little memorization games on this board, think and apply for once in your miserable life.

Avante
01-25-2018, 09:08 PM
Why are you so upset? When I need info, I go to him. I don't generally ask a whole lot of questions about speed and track, no one really does, but when I do, I go to pgardn.

Then you will never learn sprinting.

Avante
01-25-2018, 09:10 PM
Plotting things...
Plotting things...

200 or 400 m must understand turns. You must practice the stride on a turn because your Fckn right side covers more ground than your left side ya Fckn idiot. It's not a straight race.

Pick a fckn lane based on the physical effort (thru force) that must be exerted in order to change directions. Let's use a constant speed of 10m/s. Pick a Fckn lane and tell me about the acceleration. Calculate you dork? You like numbers, calculate it for each lane. I learned this from a HS coach. You cut and paste a track article on phases of a straight race? Well now do this for the 200 and 400. Give me numbers.
Now.

You can ask any coach of an elite athlete and they would write pages and pages of why they like a certain lane from a purely physical perspective. Don't you play your little memorization games on this board, think and apply for once in your miserable life.

So the hell with this guys thread, right? Dude, start a thread or shut the fuck up.

pgardn
01-28-2018, 06:38 PM
What lane dork?

And explain your choice from a physical perspective.

spurraider21
01-29-2018, 04:17 PM
when it comes to the 200/400... yep, pgardn is the most knowledgeable on spurstalk

Avante
01-29-2018, 10:08 PM
when it comes to the 200/400... yep, pgardn is the most knowledgeable on spurstalk

Yep, if ya want to bore everyone with stuff that everyone simply takes for granted, he's your man. If ya want to know the great 200/400m sprinters, here I am.

pgardn
01-29-2018, 10:14 PM
Yep, if ya want to bore everyone with stuff that everyone simply takes for granted, he's your man. If ya want to know the great 200/400m sprinters, here I am.

"Takes for granted" because you don't have a Fckn clue.

Analyze the lanes from a physical perspective. Track coaches don't take it for granted you Fckn dolt.

Avante
01-29-2018, 10:43 PM
"Takes for granted" because you don't have a Fckn clue.

Analyze the lanes from a physical perspective. Track coaches don't take it for granted you Fckn dolt.

Dude, talk to me about what a 200m sprinter needs to be among the best, same with a 400m cat. Don't get booged down with stupid shit*** nobody pays any attention to, ok stupid? Dude, talk sprinters...can you? The mechanics of sprinting isn't anywhere close to being anything other than common sense.

*** all sprinters work on that speed endurance, THAT..is what ya should be focusing om dummy.

Chucho
01-29-2018, 10:50 PM

And when it comes to running the 200, Spurs for Six is the fastest in ST, and HS history.

Avante
01-29-2018, 10:56 PM
And when it comes to running the 200, Spurs for Six is the fastest in ST, and HS history.

Dummy

World Records

(• - Record was ratified)

20.5*
Paul Drayton (javascript:CheckID(1645,'M','MA2'))
USA
Walnut
Jun 23, 1962

20.5*
Robert Hayes (javascript:CheckID(2592,'M','MA2'))
USA
Pointe-Pierre
Feb 10, 1963

20.5*
Robert Hayes (javascript:CheckID(2592,'M','MA2'))
USA
Coral Gables
Mar 02, 1963

20.4y
Henry Carr (javascript:CheckID(1017,'M','MA2'))
USA
Tempe
Mar 19, 1963

20.3y
USA
Tempe
Mar 23, 1963

20.2y
USA
Tempe
Apr 04, 1964

The fastest sprinter to ever play NFL football was the great Bob Hayes, are you really dumb enought to think some middle school kid was faster? Dude, hahahaha~~~~~~~~~~

pgardn
01-29-2018, 11:01 PM
Dude, talk to me about what a 200m sprinter needs to be among the best, same with a 400m cat. Don't get booged down with stupid shit*** nobody pays any attention to, ok stupid? Dude, talk sprinters...can you? The mechanics of sprinting isn't anywhere close to being anything other than common sense.

*** all sprinters work on that speed endurance, THAT..is what ya should be focusing om dummy.

So using your common sense pick a lane for the 200 based on energy exerted thru force.
And then tell the board why you chose that lane.

Avante
01-29-2018, 11:22 PM
So using your common sense pick a lane for the 200 based on energy exerted thru force.
And then tell the board why you chose that lane.

Stupid, ALL....sprinters want lane 4 in a 200m, yep, common sense. Dude, you work way too hard at trying to make sprinting out to be far far more complex than it really is.....why?

Dummy, we have seen HIGH SCHOOOL kids hold sprint WORLD RECORDS....ok? Now just how much do you think a kid knows about sprint mechanics. well?

Stupid, reaction to the gun, accelerate...transition into your topend....maintain/sustain....decellerate. That is sprinting, yep, just that simple.

Chucho
01-29-2018, 11:26 PM
Stupid, ALL....sprinters want lane 4 in a 200m, yep, common sense. Dude, you work way too hard at trying to make sprinting out to be far far more complex than it really is.....why?

Dummy, we have seen HIGH SCHOOOL kids hold sprint WORLD RECORDS....ok? Now just how much do you think a kid knows about sprint mechanics. well?

Stupid, reaction to the gun, accelerate...transition into your topend....maintain/sustain....decellerate. That is sprinting, yep, just that simple.

He asked you a question politely and you insult the man every other word. No need to take that tone with him because he's an expert on the one subject you Google best.

pgardn
01-29-2018, 11:38 PM

From a physical, not tactical perspective you dumb ass.
I already explained this too you, do you need me to explain it AGAIN.

Avante
01-29-2018, 11:47 PM
He asked you a question politely and you insult the man every other word. No need to take that tone with him because he's an expert on the one subject you Google best.

Dude, I could ask you 10 questions about this stuff where all the Googling in the world couldn't help you. I don't Google stupid, ok?

Avante
01-29-2018, 11:49 PM
From a physical, not tactical perspective you dumb ass.
I already explained this too you, do you need me to explain it AGAIN.

Stupid, are you really telling me a cat 6-5 is no different than a 5-6, hahaha~~~

Stupid, talk about the sport not shit ya Gogled, ok?

pgardn
01-29-2018, 11:55 PM
Dude, I could ask you 10 questions about this stuff where all the Googling in the world couldn't help you. I don't Google stupid, ok?

And you know what else you don't do?

Think.

What lane and why physically?

Im asking you ONE question just like I did before when you had no clue that runners MUST ACCELERATE on turns. So what lane? And after you answer this I prove you an idiot and then ask you another question.

One at a time.
Water torture for a guy who know nothing about track and running.
im taking you apart methodically and completely. You wanna play, we will play hard ball.

Because you said:

Avante
01-30-2018, 12:02 AM
And you know what else you don't do?

Think.

What lane and why physically?

Im asking you ONE question just like I did before when you had no clue that runners MUST ACCELERATE on turns. So what lane? And after you answer this I prove you an idiot and then ask you another question.

One at a time.
Water torture for a guy who know nothing about track and running.
im taking you apart methodically and completely. You wanna play, we will play hard ball.

Because you said:

Dude, how far do 200m sprint before the curve? What did I tell you about sprinting.....reaction to the gun....accelerate.....now think. ok? I ran the 200m stupid, ok?

Dude, are you telling me the size of a sprinter simply doesn't matter when it comes to lanes in a 200? You can't be this dumb.

Dude, do you know anything at all about the actual sport?

pgardn
01-30-2018, 12:07 AM
Last question before I go to bed:

From the 1st lane, how much force must an average weight sprinter have to exert in order to negotiate that turn?

We will assume the sprinter is world class and holds a constant speed of 10m/s on the turn.
Answer the question, or be considered a dumb fuck. It's a very easy question.

Sleep tight...

Avante
01-30-2018, 12:18 AM
Last question before I go to bed:

From the 1st lane, how much force must an average weight sprinter have to exert in order to negotiate that turn?

We will assume the sprinter is world class and holds a constant speed of 10m/s on the turn.
Answer the question, or be considered a dumb fuck. It's a very easy question.

Sleep tight...

Dude, do you know anything at all about the sport? I have never seen you say anything about the athletes that make the sport. Googling all that boring shit is all ya can do...huh?

Dude, there must be a million of these out there, yep...boring as fuck, ok?

https://www.real-world-physics-problems.com/physics-of-running.html

When I ran the 200m, I just ran, there are no other options, ok stupid?

pgardn
01-30-2018, 08:08 AM
https://www.real-world-physics-problems.com/physics-of-running.html

When I ran the 200m, I just ran, there are no other options, ok stupid?

Of course you just ran. You never did workouts, you never ran turns you just ran. You never did any type of drills that could help you sprint better. You just ran. And if you did do drills, you had no Fckn clue as to why you were doing them. You never PREPARED?

And from your hand picked article that I barely looked at but immediately found this:

This is due to the centrifugal force experienced by the runner as he goes around the turn.

This above is dead wrong. I barely read the article and it's dead wrong.

Do you even know why? This is sometimes the downfall of the Internet. It gives you all sorts of facts, which you bath in, but there is no analysis, no step into deeper water. And you can't go there. You wade in the kiddy pool regurgitating facts.
I told you not to go hunting single articles on this. You have to know this stuff and you don't. I'm asking you stuff I was taught by a HS coach. Yet YOU SAID:

You know everything about track and can answer any question because you are willing to spend the time to learn? Is this some sort of bad joke, or are you really a complete liar?

pgardn
01-30-2018, 08:12 AM
Avante said: