PDA

View Full Version : Pop: starting Dejounte bc we need to know what we have

SAGirl
01-24-2018, 03:23 AM
The motive and timing of starting Dejounte was briefly discussed elsewhere but there’s too many multiple page threads to find it so I thought this could stand on its own.

YGWHI
01-24-2018, 03:34 AM
"At this stage of his career.." " So it's time..." I never thought Pop would say this. Finally it happened. What a crazy season.

SAGirl
01-24-2018, 03:41 AM
"At this stage of his career.." " So it's time..." I never thought Pop would say this. Finally it happened. What a crazy season.
Think it’s a lot more about Dejounte having played so well lately that he was a beetr option than the other PG even though his game is still flawed, but he’s 21 and he can only learn through playing and getting coached and the longer he was going without a set rotation spot the longer his development would take and the Spurs with their weak (and old) guard rotation cannot allow themselves the luxury of not developing guys. But bottom line it’s more about Dejounte than it is about Tony.

Bodes well for Murray, Pop wouldn’t bench Tony for an undeserving prospect.

YGWHI
01-24-2018, 03:52 AM
While I don't think DJ played that "well lately" -this Cavs game sure but the rest of games..IDK- I trust Pop what he sees on him.

I wonder what we will say about this move in April. "Pop f*cking senile shit" or "Pop's a basketball genius"

Fireball
01-24-2018, 04:03 AM
now the tip-in machine needs to improve his dribbling and his defense ... an outside shot would not be that high on the priority list right now

Slippy
01-24-2018, 04:52 AM
Credit to pop. I was screamin out at tv for Tony to finish. Thought team needed stability at pg spot & Tony was playing great. Pop went with DJ . He made a few mistakes but delivered in the end. He all the better from the experience & pop finding out what Djs got.

Mr. Body
01-24-2018, 07:59 AM
He needs a loooooot more work running an offense. A lot.

polandprzem
01-24-2018, 08:02 AM
That might be the best Pop did for Murrays career. We will see but throwing him to the heat shows the man improved a bit. Still making ton of mistakes - but that's how you should learn. And he showed he can learn.

Seventyniner
01-24-2018, 08:19 AM
I wonder if this means the Spurs won't try to trade for Kemba?

bklynspursfan
01-24-2018, 08:24 AM
Think it’s a lot more about Dejounte having played so well lately that he was a beetr option than the other PG even though his game is still flawed, but he’s 21 and he can only learn through playing and getting coached and the longer he was going without a set rotation spot the longer his development would take and the Spurs with their weak (and old) guard rotation cannot allow themselves the luxury of not developing guys. But bottom line it’s more about Dejounte than it is about Tony.

Murray hasn't played so well lately tho, that's what made it an odd thing to do now. All the PGs have been in a funk.

Thus far, TP has done well in his new role, and Murray showed something last night. I just wish he played every team like they were the Cavs. The potential is there, there's no doubt about it. Some fundamental things need work, but he's gotta put in the time/work. Dribbling/mid range jumper mainly imo

Chinook
01-24-2018, 08:59 AM
I wonder if this means the Spurs won't try to trade for Kemba?

I think it's the opposite. They want to see if they have to do that.

MoSpur02
01-24-2018, 09:01 AM
Is Tony still considered an “All Star” player? Will MJ see TP as an “All Star?” LOL. If so, send him to Charlotte for Walker.

hater
01-24-2018, 09:23 AM
Delonte was probably mad and would bolt to wherever Leroids is

So Poop probably trying to keep Lebrons protege in San antonio in chance Leroids decides to come

wildbill2u
01-24-2018, 09:34 AM
Murray had a very nice game as the starter. Make that a very good game. It could be the official turning over the keys to him by Pop is going to be the catalyst for him as it was for Tony. And Tony showed he can shore up the 2nd team. It had to be the move at this time. Go Murray.

Dex
01-24-2018, 09:37 AM
Is Tony still considered an “All Star” player? Will MJ see TP as an “All Star?” LOL. If so, send him to Charlotte for Walker.

Maybe 10 years ago.

Fireball
01-24-2018, 09:43 AM
perhaps he wants other GMs also see what they have ...

MoSpur02
01-24-2018, 09:44 AM
If/when Murray develops a consistent jump shot, watch out! He needs to work on that more than anything. If he can get a better shot and take care of the ball a little better, he is going to be great.

DPG21920
01-24-2018, 10:05 AM
If/when Murray develops a consistent jump shot, watch out! He needs to work on that more than anything. If he can get a better shot and take care of the ball a little better, he is going to be great.

The thing is Murray has been working on that a lot. It is well documented. Sometimes hard work alone is not enough. He’s putting in the work just have to hope he can become a competent shooter.

BackHome
01-24-2018, 10:15 AM
You can practice all day day long but your never going to get really better unless you get to play consistently

MaNu4Tres
01-24-2018, 10:20 AM
The thing is Murray has been working on that a lot. It is well documented. Sometimes hard work alone is not enough. He’s putting in the work just have to hope he can become a competent shooter.

Sometimes waiting only one season to see dramatic results isn't being patient enough. Give it more time with that.

His confidence to take shots has decreased from last year to this year. Last year, albeit small sample size, he let if fly and converted at a decent %. This year, it seems he's either too focused on optimizing his strengths and limiting his weaknesses (simplifying his game -- which is smart imo), or that he's rebuilt his shot and needs to regain his confidence to let it fly again. Give it more time.

Since last year, it's obvious he's sharpened his overall game from last year to this year. His game has gotten much more cleaner.

hater
01-24-2018, 10:21 AM

Sad thing is hes got possibly the worst jumpshot in the NBA

I would not mind if he can turn into a faster more athletic Rondo imo

Keepin' it real
01-24-2018, 10:40 AM
He needs a loooooot more work running an offense. A lot.

He's only 21, so he will get a loooooot more work running the offense. A lot. Like 10-15 years worth.

MoSpur02
01-24-2018, 10:46 AM
Another thing he needs to work on is his ball handling. He dribbles a little too high and looks down from time to time. With time, coaching, and experience he’ll get better at it.

MaNu4Tres
01-24-2018, 10:48 AM
Another thing he needs to work on is his ball handling. He dribbles a little too high and looks down from time to time. With time, coaching, and experience he’ll get better at it.

He's already gotten better at it, but yeah he's too young to be complacent. He needs to keep sharpening everything. As I've said most of this season, AS IS, he's the best PG Spurs have overall -- that in itself says a lot.

TheDoctor
01-24-2018, 10:57 AM
Sad thing is hes got possibly the worst jumpshot in the NBA

I would not mind if he can turn into a faster more athletic Rondo imo
And still dribbling the ball high as shit. Last nite CLE’s players were picking his pocket with easy.

Ice009
01-24-2018, 11:36 AM

Being a great shooter is mostly about feel and touch, not just technique and repetition like some posters here seem to think. Some people don't have that feel or touch and no matter how much they practice, they just can't get good or consistent at it. I hope Murray can. I think you can still become a pretty good shooter if you learn the correct technique and also put in the work via repetition, but I don't think you can be a great shooter without any feel for it.

SAGirl
01-24-2018, 11:55 AM
While I don't think DJ played that "well lately" -this Cavs game sure but the rest of games..IDK- I trust Pop what he sees on him.

I wonder what we will say about this move in April. "Pop f*cking senile shit" or "Pop's a basketball genius"
If Kawhi is not playing and there’s a chance he’s not ready to play by the playoffs (since they don’t know Kawhis body) it’s irresponsible to go through the season playing the old guys and not developing. Even if they were to work a trade up at some point in the summer their young assets are devalued if they aren’t playing. I don’t think it’s about a trade, personally but from any perspective you think about it the irresponsible is to stand pat and on top of it not develop their best assets.

pad300
01-24-2018, 11:55 AM
Keep throwing the kid in the fire Pop. Just like Tony got developed. Start him, pull him out for any and all mistakes and chew his ass on the spot, and then throw him back in...

Should have been doing this all season - Tony's injury was a perfect opportunity. Fact is Mills is not a starting PG, and Tony is too old. We need to either make Murray a starter-level PG, or find out he is not, and go get one...

SAGirl
01-24-2018, 12:12 PM
Murray hasn't played so well lately tho, that's what made it an odd thing to do now. All the PGs have been in a funk.

Thus far, TP has done well in his new role, and Murray showed something last night. I just wish he played every team like they were the Cavs. The potential is there, there's no doubt about it. Some fundamental things need work, but he's gotta put in the time/work. Dribbling/mid range jumper mainly imo
If you are talking about shooting... none of the PG were shooting well. Happy that Tony had a renaissance flashback game but for the previous 10 games he was shooting very poorly. The Spurs clawed back from big deficits on the back of defense and hustle plays where Dijon excelled. They couldn’t get enough buckets bc others like Aldridge underperformed too and shooters were off.

Considering the PG situation he had the best impact on games of the 3 bc the other two are supposedly better offensively but for a long stretch of games had not been playing/scoring well themselves.

The identity of this team has been in flux and IMO Pop has gone with defense, plus as I said elsewhere its irresponsible to not develop considering the team situation.

SAGirl
01-24-2018, 12:20 PM
Think he’s not confident with his left hand either. He always wants to go right. I think with his quickness if he had better handles he could get anywhere but sometimes lanes are closed to him and he doesn’t change direction or hand dribble. He needs work that’s for sure. But the offense goes through Aldridge a lot so he is not exposed every possession.

SAGirl
01-24-2018, 12:24 PM
Keep throwing the kid in the fire Pop. Just like Tony got developed. Start him, pull him out for any and all mistakes and chew his ass on the spot, and then throw him back in...

Should have been doing this all season - Tony's injury was a perfect opportunity. Fact is Mills is not a starting PG, and Tony is too old. We need to either make Murray a starter-level PG, or find out he is not, and go get one...
Exactly. This is what is about I think.

jsandiego
01-24-2018, 12:26 PM
I know the Cavs' D has been terrible this year, but TP and DJ had an excellent combined stat line. When/If Kawhi and Rudy Gay come back, that makes our starting lineup:

Dejounte, Verde, :claw, :lma, and Pau

And our bench:
Tony/Patty/Manu/Rudy/Davis

I think our bench will be unbelievable.

K...
01-24-2018, 12:28 PM
I know the Cavs' D has been terrible this year, but TP and DJ had an excellent combined stat line. When/If Kawhi and Rudy Gay come back, that makes our starting lineup:

And our bench:

Unbelievably bad at defense you mean.

Ps your forgot joff

SAGirl
01-24-2018, 12:49 PM

And our bench:

I don't know how you leave him out... but in my mind there is no way Kyle is not playing.

spursistan
01-24-2018, 12:56 PM
Pop was a little bit too frank there. :lol

Murray is going to get a regular 25-30 minutes for the remaining 30 games so they can take a final stock of him. This is why I don't expect them to be active on the Kemba Walker front until after the end of the season (assuming the Hornets don't deal him before the deadline).

Between the injuries cop-out and their internal Murray hype, it is hard to see them make a shake-up move of this kind mid-season.

UZER
01-24-2018, 01:00 PM
Should've been doing this all season. Murray is going to benefit from real playing time, not Toros / bench time. Some guys learn in training, since guys learn on the job.

Coach his mistakes, but don't neuter him. Let him find his groove by not benching him full quarters or games.

Stabula
01-24-2018, 01:01 PM
I don't know how you leave him out... but in my mind there is no way Kyle is not playing.

:lmao

venitian navigator
01-24-2018, 01:01 PM
I understand it's been just by injuries coincidence, but I loved not only the DJM choice over tp but more than this the idea of a front court of LMa and Bertans.
Imho they complement each other well with their skills and Bertans has shown he can make some baskets in the paint too.
Once everyone is healty, In think the best starting five could be
DJM Green Kiwi Bertans Lma
and our bench
Tp Manu Kyle Gay Gasol

The little guys (Forbes, White, Mills and Paul) can enter the game in special situations for

enhance the speed of the game and make fast points (Mills)
or
play a more controlled pace (White) with a reliable offensive guard that plays a good not up tempo offense (Forbes)
or
play more defense in the back court (Paul)

Jolo enters just in case of needing to bolster the front line...

hater
01-24-2018, 01:02 PM
Didnt pop start Delonte to stqrt the season but dude sucked so he switched to Fatty?

TheGreatYacht
01-24-2018, 01:16 PM
Parker is averaging 13.5pts and 5.5ast in 19 minutes so far as the 6th man

Crazy what playing against backups does for players.....

-21-
01-24-2018, 01:40 PM
I'm all for Dejounte starting but we've got a pretty serious logjam at the PG spot. We can't have Parker/Mills/Forbes playing together off the bench. PATFO needs to make some moves.

DJR210
01-24-2018, 01:41 PM
Just seeing his demeanor in his post game interview with Dennis Scott say's a lot about Murray. He's confident in himself that's for sure :tu

MaNu4Tres
01-24-2018, 02:47 PM
I'm all for Dejounte starting but we've got a pretty serious logjam at the PG spot. We can't have Parker/Mills/Forbes playing together off the bench. PATFO needs to make some moves.

Or just get Manu, Rudy and Kawhi healthy.

Once the three are healthy, only a consistent role for Tony will be there. Mills and Forbes should be the odd men out.

spursistan
01-24-2018, 02:49 PM
Or just get Manu, Rudy and Kawhi healthy.

Once the three are healthy, only a consistent role for Tony will be there. Mills and Forbes should be the odd men out.

12 millions for someone qualifying as an odd man out :lol..

An utter disgusting contract, tbh..

SAGirl
01-24-2018, 02:56 PM

Something that other posters have been pointing out for a long time but it finally became a reality.

duncan2k5
01-24-2018, 02:57 PM
Should've been doing this all season. Murray is going to benefit from real playing time, not Toros / bench time. Some guys learn in training, since guys learn on the job.

Coach his mistakes, but don't neuter him. Let him find his groove by not benching him full quarters or games.

MaNu4Tres
01-24-2018, 03:01 PM

Yeah they shit the bed with that contract. There's no excuse around it. Just horrible in so many different levels. Should have been a 2+1 team option deal at the absolute worst.

SAGirl
01-24-2018, 03:01 PM
Didnt pop start Delonte to stqrt the season but dude sucked so he switched to Fatty?
yup... that happened but Mills obviously wasn't good enough either, and Delonte is a young buck that really has had minutes up and down, lineups up and down, and has had a few good games. He is so young that it's a fair strategy to find out what he really has.

Hopefully he can hold that spot this time. If not, then the Spurs will know that for sure they need a trade.

spurraider21
01-24-2018, 03:07 PM
:lol 12:01am

SAGirl
01-24-2018, 03:08 PM

I have been thinking at times, Pop will make Danny the odd man out.

His love for the ... well I don't want to use pejorative terms bc it's not my style... but his love for Patty knows no bounds at this point.

Patty will play. I figure short leashes will apply to Danny. (Dejounte himself and Kyle as well, but to a lesser degree if they really want to develop Dejounte and Kyle is bound to have short minutes anyways.)

Chinook
01-24-2018, 03:55 PM
Murray will likely get more minutes at the two as Green's backup (though he'll probably be coming in for Kawhi with Manu moving over). My guess is that this is where Mills will see his time. They should be a pretty good combo. Kyle likely sees almost no time at the three (besides Manu, I think Green will see minutes there as well), and Gay will likely play a lot of center minutes. Unless Joff was going out with injury, Pop was desperately avoiding playing him. I imagine that he'll be even more willing to do that when he has all of his taller guys healthy again.

Of course, I am not convinced that Pop isn't doing this while putting Murray on the block. If Kawhi really is unhappy with the roster, the Spurs will probably try to make a move. How successful they are in that regard depends in large part on how highly other GMs view Murray. A Dejounte who shows out over the next two weeks could make a Walker trade much more possible.

MaNu4Tres
01-24-2018, 04:19 PM
Murray will likely get more minutes at the two as Green's backup (though he'll probably be coming in for Kawhi with Manu moving over). My guess is that this is where Mills will see his time. They should be a pretty good combo. Kyle likely sees almost no time at the three (besides Manu, I think Green will see minutes there as well), and Gay will likely play a lot of center minutes. Unless Joff was going out with injury, Pop was desperately avoiding playing him. I imagine that he'll be even more willing to do that when he has all of his taller guys healthy again.

Of course, I am not convinced that Pop isn't doing this while putting Murray on the block. If Kawhi really is unhappy with the roster, the Spurs will probably try to make a move. How successful they are in that regard depends in large part on how highly other GMs view Murray. A Dejounte who shows out over the next two weeks could make a Walker trade much more possible.

I don't understand this logic if Pau and Aldridge are in the lineup.

Pop has been staggering them consistently, all year. Pau/LA share minutes at the back up 5 after the first 6 minutes of the 1st and 3rd quarter.

LA/Pau are pretty much locks for minutes at the back up 5, unless they are playing a team playing extremely small (which is hardly ever the case). With LA/Pau at the 5, Rudy plays the 4, and either Kyle or Manu gets minutes at the 3, Patty or Manu getting minutes at the 2 and Tony is pretty much a stone cold lock getting minutes at the back up PG spot.

I don't understand how you see Murray getting minutes at the back up two when everyone is healthy. If DeJounte gets more minutes at the 2 when everyone is healthy, it will only be when they play smaller back courts IF Murray & Tony are rolling like they were last night and IF Manu, Kyle, Danny are off. Those are a lot of IFs imo.

When everyone is healthy, Spurs simply have too many better options to play at the wing than playing midget ball with smaller back courts.

The logic behind playing Mills ahead of Manu or ahead of Kyle, at the back up wing or two ( since Parker is the lock at back up PG), is either very biased or very ridiculous.

bic50
01-24-2018, 04:28 PM
It's about time. Just let Murray play. I think he has potential

r0drig0lac
01-24-2018, 05:05 PM

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/lmao.gif very easy

Keepin' it real
01-24-2018, 05:18 PM

Wow, this is the first time I've heard anyone complain about Patty's contract!

Chinook
01-24-2018, 05:31 PM
I don't understand this logic if Pau and Aldridge are in the lineup.

You can't reliably stagger two players who start together. Seriously, it amazes me to see people still arguing this after watching this season. Joff is only not getting everygame minutes because he's horrible. Even with that, Pop has had to go to him when everything doesn't go perfectly with his substitutions. Imagine every minute Joff has been getting going to Rudy, then it's much easier to understand what I mean.

I don't understand how you see Murray getting minutes at the back up two when everyone is healthy.

I don't understand how you DON'T understand that. Pop is going to play Parker and Mills minutes, and every second one of them is one the court with Murray puts Dejounte at the two. You love conflating what you want to happen with what you believe will happen, and in this case, that's causing you to think Pop is going to bench Patty despite the fact that the team has been perfectly fine with him this season. I understand everyone is annoyed with his deal, and trading him would make sense. But benching him doesn't, and it is likely not even on Pop's long-term radar.

Murray, Parker
Green, Mills
Leonard, Ginobili
Aldridge, Anderson
Gasol, Gay

That's where I see Pop going with his rotation going forward. If Murray stays in the rotation, he's probably going to be playing with Mills to avoid having two smaller guards together at once. He'll try to stagger Pau and LMA, but Gay would be asked to provide minutes behind those guys in cases where both need to miss time. Tony should be the sixth man, so coming in after four or five minutes would make sense. Then Mills would come in a couple of minutes later for Green along with Manu for Kawhi. Then Parker would go out and Murray would come in (and thusly get minutes at the two). Then Green comes in for Manu, Kawhi for Patty, and there you go.

The front court is relatively easy with Gay for Pau, Anderson for Aldridge, Pau for Gay and LMA for Kyle.

SAGirl
01-24-2018, 05:39 PM

:lmao very easy

can be made fun of but Kyle truly has been one of the most consistent performers in the team at what he does and he's had a good season so far. Very difficult for me to think he's all of a sudden going to get benched in favor of midget lineups... I mean maybe it happens... I am not infallible nor pretend to be like some here who pat themselves in the back when they throw shit in all directions and some of it sticks... but really don't think he will be benched completely.

Of course none of this matters if team isn't fully healthy, in which case he will still play. But even in a fully healthy team, Pop had said he'd play. I don't see how Kyle has shot himself in the foot and ruined his chances.

r0drig0lac
01-24-2018, 05:45 PM
can be made fun of but Kyle truly has been one of the most consistent performers in the team at what he does and he's had a good season so far. Very difficult for me to think he's all of a sudden going to get benched in favor of midget lineups... I mean maybe it happens... I am not infallible nor pretend to be like some here who pat themselves in the back when they throw shit in all directions and some of it sticks... but really don't think he will be benched completely.

Of course none of this matters if team isn't fully healthy, in which case he will still play. But even in a fully healthy team, Pop had said he'd play. I don't see how Kyle has shot himself in the foot and ruined his chances.

as you can see, I'm a guy "Kyle" but I think you're very serious in this thing of defending it in ST when Kyle's game speaks more than anything you can add

MaNu4Tres
01-24-2018, 05:50 PM
You can't reliably stagger two players who start together. Seriously, it amazes me to see people still arguing this after watching this season. Joff is only not getting everygame minutes because he's horrible. Even with that, Pop has had to go to him when everything doesn't go perfectly with his substitutions. Imagine every minute Joff has been getting going to Rudy, then it's much easier to understand what I mean.

I don't understand how you DON'T understand that. Pop is going to play Parker and Mills minutes, and every second one of them is one the court with Murray puts Dejounte at the two. You love conflating what you want to happen with what you believe will happen, and in this case, that's causing you to think Pop is going to bench Patty despite the fact that the team has been perfectly fine with him this season. I understand everyone is annoyed with his deal, and trading him would make sense. But benching him doesn't, and it is likely not even on Pop's long-term radar.

Murray, Parker
Green, Mills
Leonard, Ginobili
Aldridge, Anderson
Gasol, Gay

That's where I see Pop going with his rotation going forward. If Murray stays in the rotation, he's probably going to be playing with Mills to avoid having two smaller guards together at once. He'll try to stagger Pau and LMA, but Gay would be asked to provide minutes behind those guys in cases where both need to miss time. Tony should be the sixth man, so coming in after four or five minutes would make sense. Then Mills would come in a couple of minutes later for Green along with Manu for Kawhi. Then Parker would go out and Murray would come in (and thusly get minutes at the two). Then Green comes in for Manu, Kawhi for Patty, and there you go.

The front court is relatively easy with Gay for Pau, Anderson for Aldridge, Pau for Gay and LMA for Kyle.

I don't agree. I see Patty getting spot minutes at the very best blended in with mop up minutes.

Pop has staggered LA/ Pau every game when both are playing. Pau subs out at 7-6 minutes and subs back in for LA around 3-1 minute mark. Then Pau plays start of 2nd & LA subs in around 8-6 minute mark & he closes.

And when it gets tight, LA, Danny, and Kawhi all will get uptick in minutes. Maybe even DeJounte & Manu ( game to game) as well.

LittleCriminal
01-24-2018, 05:52 PM

Consistent?? I think you forgot the IN in front of the word consistent ..

Have you forgotten the previous games Kyle played before Indiana where he sucked??

You do realize Andersons ok stats are against bottom defensive teams right?? lol

This 4 year bum cant even outplay a 21 year old rookie..

SAGirl
01-24-2018, 05:52 PM
as you can see, I'm a guy "Kyle" but I think you're very serious in this thing of defending it in ST when Kyle's game speaks more than anything you can add
ok...
I get the joke. :tu

Chinook
01-24-2018, 05:56 PM
I don't agree. I see Patty getting spot minutes at the very best blended in with mop up minutes.

Pop has staggered LA/ Pau every game when both are playing. Pau subs out at 7-6 minutes and subs back in for LA around 3-1 minute mark.

I think you are saying that because you don't like Patty, not because you believe Pop will actually go through with it. Pop has been planning something like this for a year.

The center rotation you're giving me is the ideal one, and that hasn't been remotely consistent. Joff has played in plenty of games with both Pau and LMA were healthy.

SAGirl
01-24-2018, 06:13 PM
Imagine the Joff spot minutes can be soaked up by Davis if others were healthy and Davis had spot minutes only. He's a guy who can occasionally get hot and if that happens I could see Pop riding the hot hand.

I imagine too there are matchups where Gasol will not do well. The whole thing is unpredictable right now. The team will have to adjust to playing differently and Patty's shooting will become important in the playoffs when they load up on post players. He's going to take someone minutes... right now likely it's Green for me.. unfortunately you sacrifice defense every time Patty plays regardless.

MaNu4Tres
01-24-2018, 06:14 PM
I think you are saying that because you don't like Patty, not because you believe Pop will actually go through with it. Pop has been planning something like this for a year.

The center rotation you're giving me is the ideal one, and that hasn't been remotely consistent. Joff has played in plenty of games with both Pau and LMA were healthy.

I have nothing against Patty. His deal sucks yes and yes I think he's overrated on the court, but I don't hate him.

If Pop staggers LA/Pau, I think Rudy, Kyle, Manu, and Parker are better options.

I highly doubt Pop goes to Rudy at the 5, unless a team dictates it by going really small -- which won't be the case most of the time.

dabom
01-24-2018, 06:15 PM
2nd most minutes in the team and you think he gets spot minutes. Goddam your a faggot now. :lol

dabom
01-24-2018, 06:17 PM
You're broken brah. Sag is a better poster than you. :lol

Stabula
01-24-2018, 06:23 PM

I like Kyle. He does a lot of the dirty work, is unselfish, is high IQ and well-rounded :toast

MaNu4Tres
01-24-2018, 06:24 PM
2nd most minutes in the team and you think he gets spot minutes. Goddam your a faggot now. :lol

Pattys the only guard/wing from last yrs rotation who hasn't been hurt, Kawhi has only played 9 games, and Tony & Manu have been out a lot, emoji faggot. 2nd In minutes, how about some context faggot? When you play every game, when everyone else misses 10 games at least, your minutes will be higher, dumbass emoji faggot.

You act like he's made the All Star team.

SAGirl
01-24-2018, 06:26 PM
I like Kyle. He does a lot of the dirty work, is unselfish, is high IQ and well-rounded :toast
sorry ... I really got the joke after... :lol
joke is on me and my fandoming... which I am fine with actually. Making fun of my fandoming... I had it coming.
:flag:

dabom
01-24-2018, 06:26 PM
Also our best PG against the roxs and warriors until Kawhi went down. Almost like you are totally a huge faggot now. :lmao

MaNu4Tres
01-24-2018, 06:27 PM
Patty over Danny?!

Wow.

I'm taking a timeout from this place.

MaNu4Tres
01-24-2018, 06:29 PM
Also our best PG against the roxs and warriors until Kawhi went down. Almost like you are totally a huge faggot now. :lmao

dabom
01-24-2018, 06:30 PM
Patty over Danny?!

Wow.

When did I say that? What are you arguing about you faggot. :lmao

dabom
01-24-2018, 06:31 PM
Laughing at facts. :lmao

One of the most consistently wrong posters on this site. :lmao

SAGirl
01-24-2018, 06:37 PM
Patty over Danny?!

Wow.

Are you going to pretend you didn't see that last season, specially in the playoffs at times? Really please. This is Pop we are talking about. He's going to play Patty unless he is traded. Any player you take minutes from to give to Patty is going to create a defensive problem, except Tony and Tony is going to play too. I completely get what you are saying and I agree with you in part... but I also know Pop and he's going to play Patty. I would not be surprised at Murra/Patty where Patty takes Danny's spot. same in the bench.. with Tony/Patty though I would hope not... what I think should happen is not the same as what I think Pop will do.

MaNu4Tres
01-24-2018, 06:56 PM
Are you going to pretend you didn't see that last season, specially in the playoffs at times? Really please. This is Pop we are talking about. He's going to play Patty unless he is traded. Any player you take minutes from to give to Patty is going to create a defensive problem, except Tony and Tony is going to play too. I completely get what you are saying and I agree with you in part... but I also know Pop and he's going to play Patty. I would not be surprised at Murra/Patty where Patty takes Danny's spot. same in the bench.. with Tony/Patty though I would hope not... what I think should happen is not the same as what I think Pop will do.

Last year is irrelevant. So many different variables this year as Spurs added Gay, and Murray/ Kyle/ Manu have made leaps.

Last year vs Memphis we saw Mills/ Parker lineups at times ( times ..meaning rarely) because Manu was horrible, Murray wasn't in picture and Kyle wasn't as trusted. Green played more than Patty still. There was enough time for Green and Mills to have their roles. And as for against Rockets & GS, we saw Mills & Murray because no Kawhi, no Parker.

This year, if everyone is healthy and with Murray starting, there simply won't be as many minutes open. If so, and if Patty takes Danny's minutes, that means you reduce Danny's role to a 10-12 minute role ( for Patty to get his 15 minutes) because Gay, Kyle, Murray, a better Manu are all eating 15-25 minutes.

I'm not saying Patty will be sent to dog house or never see time, I just don't see a consistent role there unless you take away Danny or Manus role -- which is crazy to me.

And no I don't think we'll be seeing Rudy at the 5. I think Pop staggers LA/Pau when everything is tightened up.

SAGirl
01-24-2018, 07:14 PM
Last year is irrelevant. So many different variables this year as Spurs added Gay, and Murray/ Kyle/ Manu have made leaps.

Last year vs Memphis we saw Mills/ Parker lineups at times ( times ..meaning rarely) because Manu was horrible, Murray wasn't in picture and Kyle wasn't as trusted. Green played more than Patty still. There was enough time for Green and Mills to have their roles.

This year, if everyone is healthy and with Murray starting, there simply won't be as many minutes open. If so, and if Patty takes Danny's minutes, that means you reduce Danny's role to a 10-12 minute role ( for Patty to get his 15 minutes) because Gay, Kyle, Murray, a better Manu are all eating 15-25 minutes.

I'm not saying Patty will be sent to dog house or never see time, I just don't see a consistent role there unless you take away Danny or Manus role -- which is crazy to me.

And no I don't think we'll be seeing Rudy at the 5. I think Pop staggers LA/Pau when everything is tightened up.
I will give you this feedback. You have very good points and I do hope Pop doesn't stick to the same old from prior seasons bc this team is different and sticking with the same old wasn't giving him good results. In fact he stuck to Patty for a long while this season while he was sucking before deciding to move him back to an off the ball role as a spot up shooter again and feature Dejounte again, and Tony.

I also agree with you this is a different team right now, with guys having more significant roles this season than they had last year (Dejounte and Kyle, but also shooters like Davis possibly getting minutes as designated shooters around a different group, and there is the possibility of spot minutes for Forbes too, should shooting be needed).

I have said it elsewhere, but I have had the feeling for a while that the team's identity is changing. You can see it in Manu's writing even... he said: "we can't find the identity we need without Kawhi." The team has changed and will continue to change the better some guys who weren't factors last season play (including Rudy when he's back healthy)... Think Patty and his 50 Mills deal will not get reduced to not getting played though and if that happens at some point, they need to trade him.

TD 21
01-24-2018, 07:24 PM
The overriding point is that this overload at guard and the perimeter in general is untenable going forward. Even when Ginobili retires, if Parker fulfills his 20 season goal, the trickle down effect is: Mills will primarily defend SG's or wings for the remainder of his contract. Forbes, who they seem high on, is definitely gone. White is blocked to a path to the rotation through his entry level contract.

They either want to get a better sense of what they have in Murray before going all in on a pursuit of Walker, they've already determined they're doing that and are showcasing him for them or both. But aside from the obvious (upgrading the team and appealing to Leonard), that would clear up this logjam.

If they don't make that trade and ever get healthy this season, think the 10th man / spot minutes will be based on play and match-up.

TheGreatYacht
01-24-2018, 08:09 PM
Pattys the only guard/wing from last yrs rotation who hasn't been hurt, Kawhi has only played 9 games, and Tony & Manu have been out a lot, emoji faggot. 2nd In minutes, how about some context faggot? When you play every game, when everyone else misses 10 games at least, your minutes will be higher, dumbass emoji faggot.

You act like he's made the All Star team.
God damn