PDA

View Full Version : George Hill Possibly Bought Out

MoSpur02
01-25-2018, 01:33 PM
If the Kings can’t trade George Hill they might possibly buy him out. If that happens, should the Spurs go after him?

MoSpur02
01-25-2018, 01:34 PM
http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2018/01/cavaliers_kings_far_apart_on_p.html

TimDunkem
01-25-2018, 01:43 PM
"Defensively, Hill is the ninth-worst defender in the NBA this year among players who've played at least 20 games (the Kings give up 113.1 points per 100 possessions with him on the court). And, for now, anyway, the Kings are actually worse defensively than the Cavs"

Yikes. The Spurs already have too many shit defenders at the guard positions.

phxspurfan
01-25-2018, 01:43 PM
yes because we really need another guard...lol

szkorhetz
01-25-2018, 01:49 PM
yes because we really need another guard...lol
A lot of guards doesn't equal quality guards.

spursistan
01-25-2018, 01:51 PM
Looks like borderline washed, tbh..

This dude turning down an 80 millions $ extension from the Jazz has to rank as one of the dumbest business decisions made by a player in this century..

TimDunkem
01-25-2018, 01:51 PM
A lot of guards doesn't equal quality guards.

George isn't quality.

cd98
01-25-2018, 01:54 PM
We never should have traded that Dude for Kawhi.

jyra
01-25-2018, 02:04 PM
Please remind of the last time that a player on a non expiring contract was bought out (stretch provision doesn't count).

UNT Eagles 2016
01-25-2018, 02:05 PM

This dude turning down an 80 millions $ extension from the Jazz has to rank as one of the dumbest business decision made by player in this century..
At this point I'd take the derivative of $80 million ... I'm broke

gambit1990
01-25-2018, 02:09 PM
3 years, $57 million :lol

glad the spurs didn't sign him this offseason. haven't wanted him back since we traded him. he's unreliable at best.

cavs should go after lou will. spurs too.

sasaint
01-25-2018, 02:11 PM
"Defensively, Hill is the ninth-worst defender in the NBA this year among players who've played at least 20 games (the Kings give up 113.1 points per 100 possessions with him on the court). And, for now, anyway, the Kings are actually worse defensively than the Cavs"

If we were to move Tony and 50Mills, I thought Georgie would be a great pick up if he were bought out. I believe George's numbers are skewed because he is unhappy and playing on a bad team. I think he would be much better on the Spurs. However, Pop's recent decision to turn the keys over to Dijon and bring Tony off the bench is an experiment I hope works well, and makes me less interested in taking George on if he is bought out.

Chinook
01-25-2018, 02:11 PM
Really shows there was no bettet alternative to Mills. Sure not giving him so much money sounds great, but pretty much none of the PGs signed has been worth going under the cap for.

SAGirl
01-25-2018, 02:14 PM
If we were to move Tony and 50Mills, I thought Georgie would be a great pick up if he were bought out. I believe George's numbers are skewed because he is unhappy and playing on a bad team. I think he would be much better on the Spurs. However, Pop's recent decision to turn the keys over to Dijon and bring Tony off the bench is an experiment I hope works well, and makes me less interested in taking George on if he is bought out.
He was really good last season in a good defensive team. Sacramento right now is a dumpster fire.

I don’t think he’s in the Spurs eye though. He’s not what they need.

Agreed at this point to wait and see how Dejounte develops. Think they wouldn’t stunt his growth at this point unless they got a star and Hill isn’t it.

BillMc
01-25-2018, 02:22 PM

This dude turning down an 80 millions $ extension from the Jazz has to rank as one of the dumbest business decisions made by a player in this century..

Yep. Firstly, the money. Secondly, he'd found a home with the Jazz. Now, he's a journeyman being bought out by a low level teem because he's no use to them. Plummeting rep...

NASpurs
01-25-2018, 02:59 PM
Bobo looked washed up in Charlotte before being bought out and we saw how that ultimately turned out. Just saying that due to the circumstances and environment surrounding a player, there could be a revitalization if he were to go to a place he desires. Maybe, maybe not.

KDKSpurs24
01-25-2018, 03:03 PM

This might not completely be the case but I strongly think his defense is so bad because he’s unhappy and doesn’t really care about putting in the effort on that bad team.

dabom
01-25-2018, 03:05 PM
Dude is trash.

SpursforSix
01-25-2018, 03:06 PM
Dude is trash.

Even your mom won't fuck George Hill.

SpurPadre
01-25-2018, 03:10 PM
We never should have traded that Dude for Kawhi.

We traded Paul George for Kawhi...geez, where the fuck have you been?! :rolleyes

NASpurs
01-25-2018, 03:12 PM
http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2018/01/cavaliers_kings_far_apart_on_p.html

“Also, a league source told cleveland.com that Hill may still be dealing with a sore toe that nagged him last season and forced him out of three playoff games when he was with Utah against Golden State in May.”

superbigtime
01-25-2018, 03:29 PM
Really shows there was no bettet alternative to Mills. Sure not giving him so much money sounds great, but pretty much none of the PGs signed has been worth going under the cap for.

Say whaaaa?

BillMc
01-25-2018, 03:44 PM
We traded Paul George for Kawhi...geez, where the fuck have you been?! :rolleyes
:lol

Poolboy5623
01-25-2018, 03:50 PM
I would think he will want to go to a team with a shot at the title? The Spurs don't fit in that category...

DAF86
01-25-2018, 03:51 PM
45% 3pt shooter, fwiw.

Chucho
01-25-2018, 03:53 PM
George isn't quality.

/thread.

Another one of those stupid myths people accept as truth around here.

Chinook
01-25-2018, 03:58 PM
Say whaaaa?

Some typos there, but looking at the off-season in retrospect, there wasn't a move the team should have made for a PG that would have turned out better. They missed out on Paul and Irving, and the lower crop of targets have been disappointing, massively overpaid or both. Considering that those other guards would have cost at least Gay in addition to Mills, I am not said the team didn't get one. Doesn't make Mills' APY any better, but that is separate from his roster spot in general.

Ozballer
01-25-2018, 04:02 PM
Spurs need to do three things, sort out the mess with Kawhi, Get an elite point guard, retire its Jurassic Park personnel. All three in the next 6 to 12 months.
If they fail to do ALL three, gut the team and start again.
What is George Hill going to bring ? NOTHING other than growing the Jurassic outlook of the squad.

sasaint
01-25-2018, 05:22 PM
He was really good last season in a good defensive team. Sacramento right now is a dumpster fire.

I don’t think he’s in the Spurs eye though. He’s not what they need.

Agreed at this point to wait and see how Dejounte develops. Think they wouldn’t stunt his growth at this point unless they got a star and Hill isn’t it.

To some extent I was playing make-believe. Move Tony and 50Mills and bring in George on the cheap. I didn't want him to start; I envisioned him occupying the role that Pop has now entrusted to Tony.

Hopefully Dijon flourishes with the promotion to "permanent" starter as opposed to fill-in starter; Tony embraces his role as leader of the second unit; and 50Mills settles into his old spot-up diminutive SG role. And all is well...

phxspurfan
01-25-2018, 05:24 PM
At this point I'd take the derivative of $80 million ... I'm broke

I'll give you the derivative of a constant. Here.

SpurPadre
01-25-2018, 05:53 PM
To some extent I was playing make-believe. Move Tony and 50Mills and bring in George on the cheap. I didn't want him to start; I envisioned him occupying the role that Pop has now entrusted to Tony.

Hopefully Dijon flourishes with the promotion to "permanent" starter as opposed to fill-in starter; Tony embraces his role as leader of the second unit; and 50Mills settles into his old spot-up diminutive SG role. And all is well...

Uh, Manu hasn't ceded that role, tbh.

sasaint
01-25-2018, 05:56 PM
Uh, Manu hasn't ceded that role, tbh.

Tony and Manu have always played well together; call 'em 6a and 6b. However, Manu will be gone after this season.

TheDoctor
01-25-2018, 06:12 PM
GHill is playing uninspired BBall. It happens. He played good for the Jazz. I bet his attitude would be hella different in SanAn tbh.

SpurPadre
01-25-2018, 06:20 PM
Tony and Manu have always played well together; call 'em 6a and 6b. However, Manu will be gone after this season.

They played well together whenever TP wanted to but there were countless number of times when people complained that he didn't pass the ball to Manu enough when they were both starting together. Different time now and roles, though. Should work out, tbh.

Nathan89
01-25-2018, 07:19 PM
He won't get bought out. If he did though then jump on him immediately. Diaw looked terrible on the Bobcats and was great for us. Hill was great for the Jazz just last year. If healthy he'd easily be our best pg.

Seventyniner
01-25-2018, 08:34 PM
I'll give you the derivative of a constant. Here.

:lol :toast

MoSpur02
01-25-2018, 09:08 PM
I think if bought out, the Spurs should try to acquire him and let Brandon Paul go. BP3 hasn’t shown much. G Hill has more experience and is a better defender.

Chinook
01-25-2018, 09:36 PM
Only way they should try to Hill is if they make like a Kemba trade using two of Murray, Parker or Patty. Then you could have Walker, Hill and whomever is left from the original trio in what would actually be a hell of a rotation.

SilverSpur
01-25-2018, 09:53 PM

We traded Paul George for Kawhi? In a different reality maybe. Mandela Effect?

SilverSpur
01-25-2018, 09:58 PM
I think if bought out, the Spurs should try to acquire him and let Brandon Paul go. BP3 hasn’t shown much. G Hill has more experience and is a better defender.

I would like to see the Spurs sign him on the cheap and send Derrick White down to Austin. Let Hill rebuild his career in San Antonio

Seventyniner
01-25-2018, 10:16 PM
Only way they should try to Hill is if they make like a Kemba trade using two of Murray, Parker or Patty. Then you could have Walker, Hill and whomever is left from the original trio in what would actually be a hell of a rotation.

I figured that a deal for Walker would involve Mills and Murray being shipped out, the former to help match salary (especially because the Hornets will want to attach a bad contract) and the latter as a good prospect.

Between Walker and Parker I don't think there's much room for minutes at PG. Hill would have to be a combo guard here again and that takes minutes from Green and Manu. He has become a deadly 3-point shooter though.

8FOR!3
01-25-2018, 10:17 PM
George Hill is always welcome back on the team imo. Can't have enough 3 and D guys and I think he'd be the best guard on defense besides Danny.

exstatic
01-25-2018, 10:38 PM
I would like to see the Spurs sign him on the cheap and send Derrick White down to Austin. Let Hill rebuild his career in San Antonio

You do realize that White is on an NBA contract, right? It doesn’t matter if he’s here or in Austin, he occupies on of the 15 Spurs roster spots.

Chinook
01-25-2018, 11:28 PM
I figured that a deal for Walker would involve Mills and Murray being shipped out, the former to help match salary (especially because the Hornets will want to attach a bad contract) and the latter as a good prospect.

Between Walker and Parker I don't think there's much room for minutes at PG. Hill would have to be a combo guard here again and that takes minutes from Green and Manu. He has become a deadly 3-point shooter though.

Pop is currently planning on playing all three of Murray, Tony and Patty. I would much rather that be Kemba, Tony and Hill. Besides the increased talent, it's just more workable on the court. I don't think it would be a huge rotation issue either, since I think Gay would take Joff's role in addition to his previous role of first front-court guy off the bench.

Ice009
01-26-2018, 12:12 AM

Don't even try selling that shit. Don't even try. You don't re-sign him at all and get someone on a minimum contract if you weren't willing to pay for someone like Collison.

SAGirl
01-26-2018, 12:16 AM
There were alternatives, but he was signed at 12:01. Team wasn’t looking for alternatives. They got the man they wanted quick and locked him up.
:shootme:shootme

Apparently the only alternatives they looked at were all star or bust.

Chinook
01-26-2018, 12:54 AM
Don't even try selling that shit. Don't even try. You don't re-sign him at all and get someone on a minimum contract if you weren't willing to pay for someone like Collison.

It's fallacious as shit to try to compare Collison to Mills as if signing the former would have only cost the latter. Darren would have cost Mills and Gay and Pau to acquire. Not even the biggest Patty hater on the planet can think that's a good deal. I can understand people retroactively wishing the team let Mills walk and run with Forbes, Murray, White and eventually Parker. Even if that would have been worse for this season, I understand that. But folks thinking the team missed out because they didn't go under the cap for Collision are delusional. And that's before looking at his stats this year and seeing how mediocre he was.

Chinook
01-26-2018, 12:57 AM
There were alternatives, but he was signed at 12:01. Team wasn’t looking for alternatives. They got the man they wanted quick and locked him up.
:shootme:shootme

Apparently the only alternatives they looked at were all star or bust.

The point of the retrospective post I made was that that hasn't actually shown itself to be a bad move yet. With the knowledge that the Spurs weren't going to get Paul or Irving, signing Mills was better over all than any other signing. Hill has busted. Teague has busted. Teodosic has busted. Holiday is making so much that it doesn't matter if he's busted or not. Acquiring any of those players would have been worse, especially in terms of on-court performance. And I'm saying that as a person who actually wanted Teague pretty badly in the off-season.

Ice009
01-26-2018, 01:07 AM
I would have much preferred Darren Collison on his current contract than Mills on his. If they couldn't get Collison for a reasonable price (I would have tried getting him for 8M per then moved up to 10M per year for 2 to 3 years max with the 3rd year being team option), then I would have looked at cheaper guys.

Either way, I wouldn't have looked at Mills, and as SAGirl said, they didn't bother looking for alternatives. They pulled the trigger before doing so. It's like RC had a gun in his hand and was panicking due to missing out on Paul, and didn't realize the safety was off. During the panic, he accidentally squeezed the trigger at 12:01am and the gun went off on him. What he's now possibly looking at is the death of the Spurs franchise if Kawhi is indeed mad at them for both the handling of his injury and the current and future state of the roster.

It's fallacious as shit to try to compare Collison to Mills as if signing the former would have only cost the latter. Darren would have cost Mills and Gay and Pau to acquire. Not even the biggest Patty hater on the planet can think that's a good deal. I can understand people retroactively wishing the team let Mills walk and run with Forbes, Murray, White and eventually Parker. Even if that would have been worse for this season, I understand that. But folks thinking the team missed out because they didn't go under the cap for Collision are delusional. And that's before looking at his stats this year and seeing how mediocre he was.

Couldn't the Spurs have re-signed Pau by going over the cap due to him already being on the team? So they couldn't have signed Collison and still brought back Pau?

Could they have done Collison, Dedmon and Simmons at the current contracts while letting Mills and Gasol go?

If NONE of that was possible, I just would have let Mills walk and sign a minimum guy. I did not want him back at anything about 6M.

Chinook
01-26-2018, 01:25 AM
I would have much preferred Darren Collison on his current contract than Mills on his.

That statement has almost no power, though. It wasn't an either/or decision between them.

If they couldn't get Collison for a reasonable price (I would have tried getting him for 8M per then moved up to 10M per year for 2 to 3 years max with the 3rd year being team option), then I would have looked at cheaper guys.

Collison at $8 Million or $10 Million makes little difference. He still would have cost multiple rotation players to acquire. Once the Spurs decided to stay over the cap (which happened when they didn't trade LMA, not when they signed Mills), there was no chance for more than one outside free agent. At $8 Million APY, he could have fit into the MLE. But that would cost Gay. Of course, it's also not clear why he'd've taken less, to the point that I don't consider it a realistic scenario.

Either way, I wouldn't have looked at Mills, and as SAGirl said, they didn't bother looking for alternatives.

This is untrue. They clearly looked at Paul and Irving before signing Mills. After those two was a list of players who haven't been worth what it would have cost the team to acquire them.

Couldn't the Spurs have re-signed Pau by going over the cap due to him already being on the team? So they couldn't have signed Collison and still brought back Pau?

Pau would have had to have been renounced to sign Collison to cap space. After that, they'd have no non-Bird rights to use to bring him back.

Could they have done Collison, Dedmon and Simmons at the current contracts while letting Mills and Gasol go?

I'd have to run the numbers, but that would probably be possible by holding onto Simmons' early-Bird rights then signing him afterwards. Might have cost them the ability to bring White over, though. And it definitely would have cost Gay.

If NONE of that was possible, I just would have let Mills walk and sign a minimum guy. I did not want him back at anything about 6M.

While that is a more defensible position than a lot of anti-Mills takes, it's still hard to see how it would have made sense at the time. The team needed some consistency at PG with Tony out. People like to gloss over that Murray's bad games killed the team at the start of the year, leading to Pop benching him for Patty. With no Mills, the team could easily have a few more losses on their records.

SAGirl
01-26-2018, 01:35 AM
They didn’t need to give Patty those 4 years. Just like they didn’t need to give Pau 2 additional years right?

Whats disappointing is that they didnt really plan for the future. Patty is a bench player that has no higher ceiling than where he is right now. Might even decline in coming seasons too when that quickness takes a step back and he’s no longer coming off screens like a fastball he might have trouble getting himself free.

It’s just disappointing that they are stuck with defensively challenged midget lineups bc they are going to have to find playing time for the 50 million man, + Tony, thus pushing everyone else out of their spots and possibly taking playing time from more well rounded players to play a glass cannon. Nope. Shouldn’t have been that long of a deal at least.

Team was going to be changing and they may even want to resign some of their RFA who have played better than perhaps they thought coming into the season. Too bad.

Chinook
01-26-2018, 01:54 AM
They didn’t need to give Patty those 4 years. Just like they didn’t need to give Pau 2 additional years right?

Pau and Patty are in slightly different situations. In a sense they could have let both walk or dragged on negotiations with both hoping to get better deals. In that regard, they are the same. However, they could have avoided guaranteed money in the third year of Pau's deal by giving him more APY over a two-year deal. In this sense they are different. In the sense I think you mean it, who knows how much better of deals they could have gotten by playing hard ball? For all we know, Patty could have gotten a $45M/3 deal in free agency. I don't think that's unreasonable looking at Redick's, Teague and Hill's contracts.

Whats disappointing is that they didnt really plan for the future. Patty is a bench player that has no higher ceiling than where he is right now. Might even decline in coming seasons too when that quickness takes a step back and he’s no longer coming off screens like a fastball.

Patty has a decent future if Manu and Tony both retire. Dude fits fine with Murray and White going forward. Same with Kyle if he's retained. Definitely a deal that getting out of makes sense, though.

It’s just disappointing that they are stuck with defensively challenged midget lineups bc they are going to have to find playing time for the 50 million man, + Tony, thus pushing everyone else out of their spots and possibly taking playing time from more well rounded players to play a glass cannon

As I've been hinting at throughout the season, I'm pretty sure Pop is playing two-PG lineups on purpose and that this has been his plan since last year. He was probably going to start Parker and Paul had CP3 agreed to sign with SA.

SAGirl
01-26-2018, 01:58 AM
RC panicked. Tony had a busted leg, Manu went on a 2 months vacation to Spain and almost retired. They led Hanga to believe they were going to sign him and then backpedaled at the last minute.

They panicked too when JSimms didn’t want to come back, and went and signed Brandon Paul after they had already drafted a 6’4” guard with defensive potential in the 1st round, and still had Forbes and Murray under team control. Could have signed a better big or drafted one than Joffawful, but noooo.

They just did a lot of panicked shit in the summer that wasn’t that progressive. It was all reactionary. Hope it pans out bc it’s my Spurs.

SAGirl
01-26-2018, 02:07 AM
If the alternative was Patty overpriced or no one . I take no one tbh. Team already had enough guards developing and committing that much to a bench player who isn’t even a 6th man quality player it’s too much. He’s no Jj Redick. He’s no Hill or Jeff Teague. He’s a bench player. Has never been a starter quality guard not will he ever be. Not for a good team.

Ice009
01-26-2018, 05:59 AM
Do you remember last season Patty saying he wanted to start for a team. I always said to friends of mine, he's not a starter on a high level team. If he's a full-time starter and your best "PG", then that team is most likely a lottery team IMO.

SAGirl
01-26-2018, 11:14 AM
Do you remember last season Patty saying he wanted to start for a team. I always said to friends of mine, he's not a starter on a high level team. If he's a full-time starter and your best "PG", then that team is most likely a lottery team IMO.
I didnt think he’d be back when he said that.
He started the season playing abysmal and explaining he had no pressure bc his contract was for past deeds. :vomit: so maybe he doesn’t have a filter and thinks things through b4 he spouts them out.