PDA

View Full Version : Trump supports path to citizenship for up to 1.8 million ‘dreamers’ in new White Hous

baseline bum
01-25-2018, 07:41 PM
Trump supports path to citizenship for up to 1.8 million ‘dreamers’ in new White House proposal
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-supports-path-to-citizenship-for-up-to-18-million-dreamers-in-new-white-house-proposal/2018/01/25/fa3f01aa-01e3-11e8-8acf-ad2991367d9d_story.html
By David Nakamura and Sean Sullivan January 25 at 5:09 PM

President Trump’s immigration proposal to Congress will include a path to citizenship for an estimated 1.8 million young undocumented immigrants, White House officials said Thursday, more than twice the number of “dreamers” who were enrolled in a deferred action program Trump terminated last fall.

The figure represents a significant concession to Democrats but is likely to produce sharp blowback among conservative Republicans. The White House cast the move as one piece of an immigration framework that would significantly tighten border control laws.

Trump’s plan, which will be formally sent to the Senate on Monday, also includes a $25 billion “trust fund” for a border wall and additional security upgrades on both the southwest and northern U.S. borders. And the president will propose significant curbs to legal immigration channels, restricting the ability of U.S. citizens to petition for visas only for spouses and minor children and ending categories for parents and siblings. Both of those provisions are likely to engender fierce objections among liberal Democrats.

Senior White House officials, who briefed reporters on the details, described the plan as a compromise intended to break an immigration impasse as Congress deliberates over the future of 690,000 enrolled in Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) whose temporary work permits will begin to expire March 5.

The officials said that the plan will be delivered to the Senate with hopes that Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) would bring a bill to the floor the week of Feb. 6, just days before a Feb. 8 deadline for a must-pass spending bill to keep the government open. Many Democrats and some Republicans said they will not support a long-term spending bill without an immigration deal.

“This is kind of a bottom line,” said one senior administration official, who like the others spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss a proposal that had not been made public. “This is the president’s position. Then it goes to the Hill and they digest it and develop a bill they think can pass. ... If it’s realistic, he’ll sign it. If not, he won’t.”

Sen. Lindsey O. Graham (R-S.C.), an immigration moderate who has worked with Democrats on past proposals, hailed the White House plan in a tweet: “President Obama tried and couldn’t fix immigration. President Bush tried and couldn’t do it. I believe President Trump can. Today’s DACA recipients can be tomorrow’s #TRUMPDreamers.”

But Rep. Luis V. Gutierrez (D-Ill.) slammed the border wall funding as a “ransom for Dreamers” and said the plan “doesn’t pass the laugh test.”

The details of the White House plan come a day after Trump told reporters that he would be open to an immigration deal that includes a path to citizenship that would take up to 12 years for DACA recipients, immigrants known as dreamers who have lived in the country illegally since they were children.

Trump and senior aides indicated on Wednesday that the citizenship path would be limited to the 690,000 dreamers in the program when the president terminated it. Officials said Thursday that the citizenship path would be open to anyone who had been eligible for DACA, even the hundreds of thousands of dreamers who never applied. The Migration Policy Institute has estimated that 1.3 million dreamers were eligible for DACA last year with another 600,000 who could potentially become eligible if they met certain requirements.

White House officials acknowledged that the House would likely consider a separate immigration proposal that could take a more conservative approach, potentially setting up a cross-chamber conference for a final deal that would come to Trump’s desk.

“We’re grateful for the president showing leadership on this issue and believe his ideas will help us ultimately reach a balanced solution,” said Doug Andres, spokesman for House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.).

But getting to that point remains fraught and the White House proposal is likely to be treated in the Senate as a starting point in the debate, not the bottom line. Conservative news sites hammered Trump for his support of a path to citizenship, with Breitbart News calling the president “Amnesty Don” in a headline Thursday.

Democrats will be under pressure from immigration groups to reject the proposal.

“This is going to be dead on arrival. We are going to oppose it fiercely,” said Frank Sharry, executive director of America’s Voice, an immigrant rights organization. “We are going to expect every Democrat to oppose it. And the idea that they are going to exploit the desperation of Democrats and dreamers to take a wrecking ball to the Statue of Liberty is a non-starter.”

White House aides said the plan was the result of months of talks between the administration and lawmakers and cast it as an effort to provide Congress greater clarity over what Trump would support in an immigration deal. Some lawmakers have complained that the president has vacillated between signaling he was supportive of a deal only to pullback after speaking with aides or immigration hardliners.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) has said he would be willing to move forward with a vote on an immigration bill that had support from Trump. In a statement Thursday, McConnell said the new framework helped fulfill that goal and urged lawmakers to “look to this framework for guidance as they work towards an agreement.”

Though Trump is in Davos, Switzerland, for an economic forum until late Friday, Chief of Staff John F. Kelly has remained in Washington to keep in close contact with Congress. However, Kelly did not visit Capitol Hill on Thursday, aides said.

White House aides dismissed the notion that Trump’s proposal was too hardline for Democrats and some moderate Republicans. One official pointed to the failed attempts by Congress to pass sweeping immigration bills under president George W. Bush and Barack Obama and said Trump’s proposal aims to appeal to more conservative members by beefing up border security and limiting family immigration, which the president has derisively referred to as “chain migration.”

The White House plan notably does not allow parents of dreamers to remain in the country, an issue that is likely to inflame tensions. A proposal from Graham and Sen. Richard J. Durbin (D-Ill.), which Trump rejected earlier this month, would have allowed parents of dreamers to seek renewable permits allowing them to stay in the United States but not seek legal permanent residency.

Another potential sticking point centers on Trump’s proposal to end a diversity visa lottery that has awarded about 50,000 green cards annually to foreigners from countries with low immigration rates to the United States, including many African nations.

Under Trump’s plan, those visas would go toward speeding up a waiting list backlog of up to 4 million family members of U.S. citizens who have already applied for green cards. Trump would allow those family members’ applications to be processed even as he terminates some family categories.

The Durbin-Graham proposal would have reallocated the diversity lottery visas to some of the hundreds of thousands of immigrants already in the United States who have “temporary protected status” allowing them to remain because it is deemed too dangerous to return to their home countries. Trump has declared an end to TPS status for immigrants from El Salvador, Haiti and other countries, angering Democrats.

“We have a right as Americans to decide who comes to America,” said one senior administration official. This official emphasized that the U.S. economy has transitioned to high-skilled jobs and added: “We need different immigrants today than we needed when my . . . family came here. Most countries in the world have developed an approach to immigration that says we want people that we need.”

When asked if Trump would support a “DACA only bill” if the Senate fails to pass the White House proposal, one aide replied: “This is DACA” and held up a one-page summary including border wall money and legal immigration cuts.

Josh Dawsey and Michael Scherer contributed to this report.

baseline bum
01-25-2018, 07:52 PM
I think this is probably a workable compromise that can pass both houses. I hate the money being thrown at the retarded border wall, but the GOP is in power and this is Trump's only chance to build it, so he's going to fight it to the death if the Democrats want DACA protection in this year's budget. Aside from the wall I agree with most of what Trump is proposing on immigration, though I would provide a path to sponsor elderly parents for legal residency for citizens who show they have sufficient savings and income to take care of their parents. I'm all for ending the green card lottery, picking people at random to come here is stupid as hell. I would probably also negotiate to allow DACA parents to be allowed to stay a few years until the kids are 18 before deporting the parents. DACA parents definitely don't deserve citizenship or permanent status though, to hell with rewarding people who jump the line. But with those couple of tweaks I would probably vote yes on a bill with these guidelines if I was in congress.

rmt
01-25-2018, 07:56 PM
Sign me up for this proposal. I also like the idea of a trust for the wall - people who feel strongly about it, can contribute to it - Trump better get his wall built before he exits the WH or it'll never be built.

spurraider21
01-25-2018, 08:00 PM
Sign me up for this proposal. I also like the idea of a trust for the wall - people who feel strongly about it, can contribute to it - Trump better get his wall built before he exits the WH or it'll never be built.
only mexicans should be allowed to contribute, per his campaign promise

spurraider21
01-25-2018, 08:04 PM
I think this is probably a workable compromise that can pass both houses. I hate the money being thrown at the retarded border wall, but the GOP is in power and this is Trump's only chance to build it, so he's going to fight it to the death if the Democrats want DACA protection in this year's budget. Aside from the wall I agree with most of what Trump is proposing on immigration, though I would provide a path to sponsor elderly parents for legal residency for citizens who show they have sufficient savings and income to take care of their parents. I'm all for ending the green card lottery, picking people at random to come here is stupid as hell. I would probably also negotiate to allow DACA parents to be allowed to stay a few years until the kids are 18 before deporting the parents. DACA parents definitely don't deserve citizenship or permanent status though, to hell with rewarding people who jump the line. But with those couple of tweaks I would probably vote yes on a bill with these guidelines if I was in congress.
basically this

Pavlov
01-25-2018, 08:04 PM
Amnesty good now.

rmt
01-25-2018, 08:06 PM
only mexicans should be allowed to contribute, per his campaign promise

Just like "if you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor" and "if you like your plan, you can keep your plan" - guess which broken promise hurt the American people more.

And get the money appropriated and put in the trust.

Reck
01-25-2018, 08:07 PM
This is an awful deal for everyone involved. Even the Trumptards.

We're giving up:

-Billions for a dumbass wall
-Severely handicapping chain migration. Essentially ending it.
-End of Lottery system

And we only get DACA. :lol laughable

To add insult to injury, the legal immigrants who were here already and do not need to be legalized are also getting affected by chain migration. It's basically applicable for people who are here legally already.

Dont know what baseline bum finds workable here.

spurraider21
01-25-2018, 08:10 PM
Just like "if you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor" and "if you like your plan, you can keep your plan" - guess which broken promise hurt the American people more.

And get the money appropriated and put in the trust.
broken promises ok now

baseline bum
01-25-2018, 08:10 PM

We're giving up:

-End of Lottery system

To add insult to injury, the legal immigrants who were here already and do not need to be legalized are also getting affected by chain migration. It's basically applicable for people who are here legally already.

It's kind of funny hearing you rant about ending family migration while using Trump's chain migration buzzword for it.

spurraider21
01-25-2018, 08:11 PM

We're giving up:

-End of Lottery system

Dont know what baseline bum (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=131) finds workable here.
because you dont have a democrat house, a democrat senate, or a democrat president and DACA is on a timer. you're not going to get a wish list

and who gives a fuck about losing the lottery system? shit never made any fuckin sense. you have people who've been waiting for years for their green card and some shmuck wins a "lottery" months in?

Pelicans78
01-25-2018, 08:14 PM
The border wall is dumb. Such an inefficient waste of funds.

rmt
01-25-2018, 08:16 PM

When has that ever stopped the government?

monosylab1k
01-25-2018, 08:17 PM
Stephen Miller must have gotten put in timeout.

baseline bum
01-25-2018, 08:18 PM

Yeah but it's the only way this is going to happen. You know the Democrats aren't going to give Trump the 9 votes he needs to keep the government open without DACA. Trump has to know this could be his only chance to fund the wall with it looking like the Democrats have a great shot at taking back the house.

baseline bum
01-25-2018, 08:19 PM

government waste good now

Axl Rose
01-25-2018, 08:20 PM

We're giving up:

-End of Lottery system

Dont know what baseline bum (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=131) finds workable here.
How are chain migration and the lottery system assets to “give up” :lol

spurraider21
01-25-2018, 08:21 PM
i actually think it's an incredibly efficient waste of funds

rmt
01-25-2018, 08:22 PM

We're giving up:

-End of Lottery system

It's called COMPROMISE.

DarrinS
01-25-2018, 08:31 PM
There has to be a more high tech solution to securing the border besides a physical wall.

CosmicCowboy
01-25-2018, 09:05 PM
There has to be a more high tech solution to securing the border besides a physical wall.

I assume you realize they arent talking about a wall the entire length of the border. Just in populated areas similar to what they did already in san diego.

rmt
01-25-2018, 09:41 PM
Trump goes big, bold and daring - really didn't expect this (including the others who didn't sign up). But I'll happily trade for end to chain migration (sans nuclear family), end to diversity lottery and using a merit-based system - it'll pay for itself in a few years and good for the country long-term.

DarrinS
01-25-2018, 09:55 PM
I assume you realize they arent talking about a wall the entire length of the border. Just in populated areas similar to what they did already in san diego.

Do they stop tunnels?

monosylab1k
01-25-2018, 09:57 PM
Trump goes big, bold and daring - really didn't expect this (including the others who didn't sign up). But I'll happily trade for end to chain migration (sans nuclear family), end to diversity lottery and using a merit-based system - it'll pay for itself in a few years and good for the country long-term.

:lmao a fucking immigrant saying shit about hindering other people’s chance to immigrate to the US. Fuck off you cunt whore.

Pelicans78
01-25-2018, 09:59 PM

Because two wrongs make a right.

Pelicans78
01-25-2018, 10:00 PM
i actually think it's an incredibly efficient waste of funds

Yes that too. And more. No words could be an overstatement.

Pelicans78
01-25-2018, 10:06 PM

There are, but blue collar Trump voters hate technology because it cost them their jobs.

Pelicans78
01-25-2018, 10:07 PM
:lmao a fucking immigrant saying shit about hindering other people’s chance to immigrate to the US. Fuck off you cunt whore.

lol

Axl Rose
01-25-2018, 10:10 PM
Depends if he’s white.

baseline bum
01-25-2018, 10:34 PM

:lol black jamaican chink trumptard

AaronY
01-25-2018, 10:56 PM
:lmao

DMX7
01-25-2018, 11:52 PM
Stephen Miller must have gotten put in timeout.

The powers of the president to protect our country are very substantial and shall not be questioned.

Will Hunting
01-26-2018, 12:17 AM
How are chain migration and the lottery system assets to “give up” :lol
:lol I had to read his post like 5 times to make sure he was actually saying the lottery system is a good thing :lol

Isitjustme?
01-26-2018, 12:32 AM
My favorite Stephen Miller story is where he jumped out into the track in the last lap of a girls 5k race in high school to reach the girls about gender equality and how men were superior

https://www.gq.com/story/stephen-miller-once-jumped-into-a-girls-track-meet-to-prove-men-are-athletically-superior-to-women

Pavlov
01-26-2018, 03:54 AM
When has that ever stopped the government?Who do you work for again?

Trump goes big, bold and daring - really didn't expect this (including the others who didn't sign up). But I'll happily trade for end to chain migration (sans nuclear family), end to diversity lottery and using a merit-based system - it'll pay for itself in a few years and good for the country long-term.Wow, you approve Trump's proposal.

No one saw this coming.

boutons_deux
01-26-2018, 08:51 AM
Amnesty Don’: Trump Far-Right Base Up In Arms Over DACA Path To Citizenship
https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/amnesty-don-far-right-base-upset-daca-plan?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+tpm-news+%28TPMNews%29

RandomGuy
01-26-2018, 02:55 PM

No shit.

At least the ass-hats sending money to build the wall can't spend it on anything else, like political campaigns. Let them build a useless wall, put their money where their mouths are.

I will then laugh, when people easily fly over it in a plane in order to overstay a visa.

hater
01-26-2018, 03:49 PM
I already called this weeks ago

DACA ppl will stay and Trump will have his big beautiful wall

:rolleyes

monosylab1k
01-26-2018, 05:56 PM
I already called this weeks ago

DACA ppl will stay and Trump will have his big beautiful wall

:rolleyes

Yeah but you also believed the Gorilla Channel story so you’re still a dumbass, sorry.

koriwhat
01-26-2018, 06:10 PM
conceding to crybabies.

baseline bum
01-26-2018, 08:44 PM
On second thought, I think Schumer should tell Trump to stick his wall up his fat ass. The Republicans don't want to deport all the DACA recipients because it's too popular with the general public. If the GOP wants to jump on that hand grenade by deporting these people heading into the 2018 midterms then Schumer should let them. Instead I would let Trump have everything he's asking for on immigration (eg chain migration ended for all but spouse + minor children and getting rid of the green card lottery) in exchange for the path to citizenship for people in DACA. But no retarded wall.

CosmicCowboy
01-26-2018, 09:00 PM
The issue isnt deportation. Its giving them a true path to citizenship

boutons_deux
01-26-2018, 09:03 PM
Clean DACA

No wall

Else, Dems shut it down

CosmicCowboy
01-26-2018, 09:04 PM
On second thought, I think Schumer should tell Trump to stick his wall up his fat ass. The Republicans don't want to deport all the DACA recipients because it's too popular with the general public. If the GOP wants to jump on that hand grenade by deporting these people heading into the 2018 midterms then Schumer should let them. Instead I would let Trump have everything he's asking for on immigration (eg chain migration ended for all but spouse + minor children and getting rid of the green card lottery) in exchange for the path to citizenship for people in DACA. But no retarded wall.

Btw I would take everything but the wall as you suggest in exchange for DACA citizenship but you still need border security and mandatory everify or we will be doing this shit again in ten years.

ElNono
01-27-2018, 12:01 AM
Btw I would take everything but the wall as you suggest in exchange for DACA citizenship but you still need border security and mandatory everify or we will be doing this shit again in ten years.

Who are you kidding, we'll be doing this shit again in a year

Xevious
01-27-2018, 12:17 AM
Remember when Republicans stood for smaller government with less spending? Me neither. It was a nice talking point though.