PDA

View Full Version : Dejounte Murray showing how easy it is to be a starting PG in the Spurs system

Spurtacular
01-25-2018, 08:56 PM
In the three games since being promoted to PG, Murray's averages are:

27:41 Min
12.7 Pts
7.0 Reb
4.7 Asts
3.3 Stls
0.3 Blks
46.9 FG
50.0 3FG
87.5 FT

Apparently, a guy who is fumbling around a bit out there and not sure of himself yet can do a better job than his predecessor.

This team is fine once rec league guard was put on the bench.

MaNu4Tres
01-25-2018, 09:02 PM
But I thought he couldn't dribble in practice?

MultiTroll
01-25-2018, 09:05 PM
In the three games since being promoted to PG, Murray's averages are:
Apparently, a guy who is fumbling around a bit out there and not sure of himself yet can do a better job than his predecessor.

This team is fine once rec league guard was put on the bench.
:rollin
Rack it.
Love the thread title / counter.

SAGirl
01-25-2018, 10:24 PM
Credit to Murray...

gospursgojas
01-25-2018, 10:48 PM
He's able to push the pace more so than Parker, also is better defender.

I love Tony, but these are facts

Spur|n|Austin
01-25-2018, 10:58 PM
How many Murray/lineup threads did you pass over before you decided to make a new thread for this random thought?

Darius Bieber
01-25-2018, 11:01 PM
It just seems easy.. cuz we haven't had a true backup PG since TJ Ford tbh

Spurtacular
How many Murray/lineup threads did you pass over before you decided to make a new thread for this random thought?

Nuance is lost on you.

Leetonidas
If he could just learn to dribble and hit a shot at the rim he will be unstoppable

Ice009
01-26-2018, 12:40 AM
If he could just learn to dribble and hit a shot at the rim he will be unstoppable

Yep. I hope he can improve his dribbling, finishing and shooting as the season goes on.

I was interested in him getting more court time or at least being in the rotation due to his potential on defense. Starting is even better.

If Mills and Parker were average on offense like they have been all season, I would much prefer Murray to start because of what he can bring on defense. That's much better than getting a little bit on offense from Mills or Parker and then them getting torched on defense. If they were going to start, they had to a lot more, otherwise they just give up to much on defense for them to be starting full-time.

As other people also mentioned, Murray can also push the pace. Although Mills is fast, he fucking terrible at most things a PG should be able to do.

UnWantedTheory
01-26-2018, 12:56 AM
Parker has also looked better in his role.

Stabula
01-26-2018, 01:02 AM
I'd rather have 21 year old Tony but I like what I'm seeing from Murray. Jury is still out on how high his ceiling could be, exciting to watch.

cutewizard
01-26-2018, 06:14 AM
:bobo

FuzzyLumpkins
01-26-2018, 07:02 AM
Parker has also looked better in his role.

Only if you don't care about defense.

duncan2k5
01-26-2018, 07:16 AM
I'd rather have 21 year old Tony but I like what I'm seeing from Murray. Jury is still out on how high his ceiling could be, exciting to watch.

Everyone would rather a 21year old Parker... He is a HOF pg and one of the best in NBA history... Lol... Holding Murray to that standard is a bit unfair

cd98
01-26-2018, 07:16 AM
It’s amazing how good a starting PG for the Spurs can look against the Pacers, Cavs, and Conley less Grizz.

MaNu4Tres
01-26-2018, 08:16 AM
Starting DeJounte & having Tony off the bench helps for these reasons:

1) DeJountes' defense helps negate the oppposing offense against high scoring starting PGs in league, and optimizes the Spurs' defense vs the opposing starters or their most talented lineups. ( offense from Spurs starting PGs wasn't utilized with adequate volume and was minimized anyway -- in regards to possessions/usage)

2) It allows Tonys bad defense to not be as big of a problem going up against back up PGs. At same time, it allows TPs offense to be more effective w/ his touches against bench defenses.

This helps the Spurs overall, but I still would like to see Murray close gsmes. Murray is the most impactful and effective all around option Spurs have at PG.

DPG21920
01-26-2018, 10:24 AM
Tonight will be a very good test for Murray. PHI mirrors SA pretty closely statistically on both offense and defense and PHI has been a top 5 defense overall. Let’s see how Murray handles a team with athletes and length and big men inside that can disrupt.

Will he be able to get into the lane and make good reads? Will length and teams ability to switch stifle him? Can his rebounding be effective against a team that rebounds really, really well like PHI?

SAGirl
01-26-2018, 11:32 AM
Starting DeJounte & having Tony off the bench helps for these reasons:

1) DeJountes' defense helps negate the oppposing offense against high scoring starting PGs in league, and optimizes the Spurs' defense vs the opposing starters or their most talented lineups. ( offense from Spurs starting PGs wasn't utilized with adequate volume and was minimized anyway -- in regards to possessions/usage)

2) It allows Tonys bad defense to not be as big of a problem going up against back up PGs. At same time, it allows TPs offense to be more effective w/ his touches against bench defenses.

This helps the Spurs overall, but I still would like to see Murray close gsmes. Murray is the most impactful and effective all around option Spurs have at PG.
Irc he has been closing games already. Tony hasn’t been doing that for a while. Pop still goes to Mills though for his shooting so as ai said elsewhere there’s times Danny is going to be giving up his spot.

It’s something to watch out for in the future.

SAGirl
01-26-2018, 11:33 AM
Tonight will be a very good test for Murray. PHI mirrors SA pretty closely statistically on both offense and defense and PHI has been a top 5 defense overall. Let’s see how Murray handles a team with athletes and length and big men inside that can disrupt.

Will he be able to get into the lane and make good reads? Will length and teams ability to switch stifle him? Can his rebounding be effective against a team that rebounds really, really well like PHI?
He was very bad the last game against them but Murray is so young and just getting his feet wet right now. I expect him to learn from mistakes.

gambit1990
01-26-2018, 12:03 PM
Only if you don't care about defense.

MaNu4Tres
01-26-2018, 12:07 PM
He was very bad the last game against them but Murray is so young and just getting his feet wet right now. I expect him to learn from mistakes.

Tonight will be a good short quiz for Murray for sure. The test for Murray is over a large sample of games for the next 2 years ( unless he's traded). As is, he's the better option than Patty/Tony moving forward regardless.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-26-2018, 12:24 PM
Call me when he's Finals MVP.

gambit1990
01-26-2018, 01:36 PM
Call me when he's Finals MVP.
murray might've have won it in 07 :lol
that cavs team was starting boobie gibson :lol sasha pavlovic, drew gooden, illgauskas :lol

Leetonidas
01-26-2018, 01:52 PM
murray might've have won it in 07 :lol
that cavs team was starting boobie gibson :lol sasha pavlovic, drew gooden, illgauskas :lol

They were also an elite defensive team, #4 in defensive rating that year iirc, which is one reason aside from Lebron's individual dominance they made it as far as they did. People don't give Parker enough credit, like he was just going one on one against Gibson the entire game :lol that's like saying Tim's FMVP in 2003 didnt count because he was matched against Kenyon Martin and Jason Collins :lmao

I'm a fan of Murray but he has no shot and cannot finish at the rim for shit. Parker has always been elite at finishing in the lane. No way Murray would have been the FMVP against the Cavs in 2007 tbh

gambit1990
01-26-2018, 02:05 PM
I'm a fan of Murray but he has no shot and cannot finish at the rim for shit. Parker has always been elite at finishing in the lane. No way Murray would have been the FMVP against the Cavs in 2007 tbh
i was mostly kidding but if he was in his 6th season like tp was, who knows.

spurraider21
01-26-2018, 02:38 PM
to be fair, murray has always had some big games and then other moments where he looks inept on offense, so we're going to need a bigger sample size, though arguably getting those minutes will also help him develop and gain that consistency

tenbeersbold
01-26-2018, 04:45 PM
Murray is a turn over machine sorry,plus his defense is sloppy as hell, he's gonna run into foul trouble against real playoff competition

tholdren
01-26-2018, 06:30 PM
List opponents then shut down thread

tholdren
01-26-2018, 10:18 PM
Bump

tholdren
01-26-2018, 11:04 PM
Looked like poop and got pwned by a pg. Terrible defense tbh

tholdren
01-27-2018, 11:50 AM
Ttt

Pocho La Pantera
01-27-2018, 12:01 PM
What about the sixth man? Did he bring spark from the bench?

Snaq O'Meal
01-27-2018, 01:18 PM

He had 8 points from 3/8 shooting, 4 rebounds, 3 assists and an overall impact of -3 after 24 minutes of floor time. Together with Lauvergne, they were the only bright spots.

The other bench scrubs were fucking disgraceful.

TheGreatYacht
01-27-2018, 01:19 PM
Lol Parker living rent-free inside that sombrero, pancho.

Splits
01-27-2018, 01:21 PM
Lol Parker living rent-free inside that sombrero, pancho.

lol

Pocho La Pantera
01-27-2018, 02:08 PM
Lol Parker living rent-free inside that sombrero, pancho. so he fucked it up, right? I thought so:lol

Spurtacular
01-27-2018, 02:35 PM

I would take 21-year-old Parker over Murray any day. But we're talking about rec league Parker now.

tholdren
01-27-2018, 08:58 PM
He had 8 points from 3/8 shooting, 4 rebounds, 3 assists and an overall impact of -3 after 24 minutes of floor time. Together with Lauvergne, they were the only bright spots.

The other bench scrubs were fucking disgraceful.

You so dumb, you used +- as evidsnce. Please stop posting

Snaq O'Meal
01-27-2018, 09:56 PM
You so dumb, you used +- as evidsnce. Please stop posting

You clearly couldn’t comprehend my post in its entirety, perhaps a result of generations of inbreeding. What’s your IQ by the way?

Isitjustme?
01-27-2018, 10:10 PM
You clearly couldn’t comprehend my post in its entirety, perhaps a result of generations of inbreeding. What’s your IQ by the way?
Lol

TheGreatYacht
01-28-2018, 01:48 PM
How'd you know farmer boy tholdren was an inbred?

duncan2k5
01-28-2018, 03:39 PM
How'd you know farmer boy tholdren was an inbred?

you can tell...

Spurtacular
01-28-2018, 09:28 PM
:wow Murray 6-6 FG, 14 pts, 10 rebs, 6 asts tonight vs. the kings.

Spurtacular
01-28-2018, 09:29 PM
:wow Murray 6-6 FG, 14 pts, 10 rebs, 6 asts tonight vs. the kings.

The traditional alternative would've been 4-12 Parker. :lol

tholdren
01-28-2018, 09:41 PM
The traditional alternative would've been 4-12 Parker. :lol

Murray best game of career. Against the kings. Who woulda thought

Spurtacular
01-28-2018, 09:43 PM
Murray best game of career. Against the kings. Who woulda thought

Parker with a bad shooting night against the worst defensive team in the league. Who woulda thought

tholdren
01-28-2018, 09:46 PM
Parker with a bad shooting night against the worst defensive team in the league. Who woulda thought

50 year old parker w as many assists. Sad spurs pg of the future has the court vision of spurs best player

Spurtacular
01-28-2018, 09:48 PM
50 year old parker w as many assists. Sad spurs pg of the future has the court vision of spurs best player

Spurs players know to get open cos slow Parker needs to be bailed out a lot. Sadly, he got no more assists when he was fast. His assist came from bailouts on a long shots with the shot clock running out. :lol

tholdren
01-28-2018, 09:49 PM
Spurs players know to get open cos slow Parker needs to be bailed out a lot. Sadly, he got no more assists when he was fast. His assist came from bailouts on a long shots with the shot clock running out. :lol

Trade tony for harden and murray for lebron.

MaNu4Tres
01-28-2018, 10:21 PM
Still can't dribble in practice right?

Spurs should sign Jared Sullinger to a 4 year deal they said.