PDA

View Full Version : Europe: Soccer will soon be Americans' 3rd favorite sport overtaking Beisbol-- a gallup poll

spursistan
01-26-2018, 07:25 AM

Nothing Mid and his charts can do in face of this impending reality.It is just a matter of time :lol......

lefty
01-26-2018, 08:13 AM
No surprise

Pelicans78
01-26-2018, 08:16 AM
Soccer is not even close to surpassing basbeball in this country. In fact, baseball is easily the 2nd highest grossing sport in this country behind football. The MLS is trash and the rest of the country really doesn't care about following overseas teams. Let's see how many people in this country really watch the World Cup with no Team USA.

Clipper Nation
01-26-2018, 08:43 AM
Once our border is secure, povertyball will plummet right back down in these polls. Legal American citizens don't give a shit about that boring excuse for a "sport."

Canyonero
01-26-2018, 11:02 AM
Glad Americans are deciding to tackle their overweight issue tbh

Darth_Pelican
01-26-2018, 11:05 AM
USA not making the World Cup is going to cost soccer popularity in this country pretty significantly, tbh..

Fabbs
01-26-2018, 11:13 AM
Soccer is not even close to surpassing basbeball in this country. In fact, baseball is easily the 2nd highest grossing sport in this country behind football. The MLS is trash and the rest of the country really doesn't care about following overseas teams. Let's see how many people in this country really watch the World Cup with no Team USA.
Why didn't USAref intervene?

Or did they and Team USA just sucked that badly?

dfens
01-26-2018, 11:36 AM
Glad Americans are deciding to tackle their overweight issue tbh

damn :wow

dfens
01-26-2018, 11:38 AM
USA not making the World Cup is going to cost soccer popularity in this country pretty significantly, tbh..

and what they gon' watch son? hockey? burgerball? some big fat brainless niggas fighting it out in the mud like in NFL? basketball is your only decent sport and even that is going downhill in quality ... tbh at least in football they're playing something not just chucking 3s without even bothering to defend.

Darth_Pelican
01-26-2018, 11:52 AM
and what they gon' watch son? hockey? burgerball? some big fat brainless niggas fighting it out in the mud like in NFL? basketball is your only decent sport and even that is going downhill in quality ... tbh at least in football they're playing something not just chucking 3s without even bothering to defend.

The quality of the USA's soccer league, MLS, is garbage. The popular leagues in Europe's games are all at odd times (early morning and/or during work hours) in the USA because of the time difference, so it's hard to watch them.

Canyonero
01-26-2018, 12:57 PM
damn :wow

And you know the day they replace NFL with rugby...

apalisoc_9
01-26-2018, 01:31 PM
The quality of the USA's soccer league, MLS, is garbage. The popular leagues in Europe's games are all at odd times (early morning and/or during work hours) in the USA because of the time difference, so it's hard to watch them.

Meh. Lots of fans only care about regional stuff. There soccer fans for instance that only care about their own leaghe regardless of it is shitty. Chilean league etc.

spursistan
01-26-2018, 01:46 PM
US hosting the 2026 WC is going to be a major turning point for Soccer and a great opportunity for entrenchment in the American sporting landascape..if I were Fifa i'm rigging this shit to get them to at least the World Cup Final :lol..

dfens
01-26-2018, 02:22 PM

son if you actually look at the ratings you see americans choosing the best quality : they're watching european football, they're watching UCL, they're watching world cups, euro cups, SA cups, libertadores. There's a lot of shit to watch even if nothing is happening. Tbh y'all mericans need to start thinking a bit bigger and get out of that merican bubble and see that there's a big world out there tbh.

And you know the day they replace NFL with rugby...
tbh NFL niggas will never pass a roid test. even so, they can barely play seconds without direct coaching ... smh at these brain damaged monkeys playing a full game :lmao

Silver&Black
01-26-2018, 02:58 PM
:lol DoubleHandjob fans been saying this since Beckham played here

Darth_Pelican
01-26-2018, 03:14 PM
son if you actually look at the ratings you see americans choosing the best quality : they're watching european football, they're watching UCL, they're watching world cups, euro cups, SA cups, libertadores. There's a lot of shit to watch even if nothing is happening. Tbh y'all mericans need to start thinking a bit bigger and get out of that merican bubble and see that there's a big world out there tbh.

There's no rooting interest unless people just randomly start bandwaggoning a team. It's hard to get passionate about something when there was no connection to a team growing up. People might casually watch the big matches a little more, but they will never get the thrill of cheering for a hometown team or a team they grew up loving.

HarlemHeat37
01-26-2018, 03:33 PM

The NBA is more popular than any time since Jordan:lol it's by far the most popular league among young people, too..

HarlemHeat37
01-26-2018, 03:35 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if baseball has a resurgence, tbh..the new style of play of home runs and strikeouts will be more appealing to casuals IMO, just like the NBA received a boost with the faster-paced, 3-point oriented style..

I've never had a problem with the game outside of the MLB's smugness and its stupid unwritten rules:lol the hypocrisy of the steroid era, where the best hitter of the modern era isn't even in the HOF..

dfens
01-26-2018, 04:47 PM
There's no rooting interest unless people just randomly start bandwaggoning a team. It's hard to get passionate about something when there was no connection to a team growing up. People might casually watch the big matches a little more, but they will never get the thrill of cheering for a hometown team or a team they grew up loving.

because that's what american sports are about .. son smh, that was 20+ years ago, look at them motherfucking stands right now. look at the game. look at the rules. look at who the target is.
20 years ago I was in college in LA so I went to staples and the athmosphere of today has NOTHING, I mean NOTHING of that of 20 years ago. The fans don't know shit and don't give a fuck, because they follow like 100 things at the same time and have minimal attention span (instagram / phone / commercials / half time show .. fucking kindergarten behavior). The game has devolved into a bastardisation of the rules where defense isn't allowed to be played (all them 3p fairies would wither with minimal handchecking). The fans don't give a shit about their team and bandwagon the best 2-3 teams in the league (warriors, cavs, old heat, old lakers) , there is no continuity at teams and players are shuffled like fuck, I can't even remember who played for the lakers a couple of years ago. Teams tank blatantly and offer nothing in the regular season ... it's fucked up tbh, the fan-team connection is gone for good at all but a handful of teams. NBA is painfully superficial.

Say what you want but euro football offers a far more refined product, appealing to both casuals and hard core fans in playstyle/starpower/atmosphere/commenting/etc, with competitive teams. Even psg/city/barcelona aren't guaranteed an UCL like golden state. Tactics matter more than athleticism, so the game appeals to all, intelligence, teamwork and heart are as important as talent. And the stars ... right now you have 3 guys having more market than peak jordan, and this is in a weak era tbh. TBH I have personally witnessed trash talk between american premier league stans, in the states, just casual business talk after a couple of shots.

And then you have the world cup being THE sporting event of the planet, dwarfing everything else in audience, money, attention, passion .. where there is always balance and fans truly LIVE for it. We went mad in '14, people were crying in the street in '06, brasil's government almost collapsed from '14, portugal partying like :wow:wow:wow in '16, spain winning after 50 years of failure, even usa gets amazing ratings and you have no culture and a small market segment ... it's a whole nother ball game tbh and everybody besides the most retarded know this. It actually has real political and social implications, just look at croatia-serbia, france-germany back in the 70s, england-argentina 20 years ago, japan-south korea, germany-poland any time .. my grandma/aunties/mother who all didn't give a fuck about any sport were tuning in and people actually won big time elections because they played the right cards during world cups. Compared to this even the lakers-celtics great 80s rivalry with all the socio-political aspects is nothing but a drop in the bucket.

So yes son, football will grow in the states even with a shit MLS and a shit NT with shit performances because it is that much of a better product. Simple economy dictates it, y'all boys can flip backwards and sideways the growth function is stable as a motherfucker. The game is followed by asians, latinos, suburban whites .. that's a massive market segment in the states. But it's good, because y'all sons are starting to learn the GOAT game .. maybe in 60-75 years you'll actually contend.

The NBA is more popular than any time since Jordan:lol it's by far the most popular league among young people, too..
:lmao bringing this washed up troll back :lmao ace move :lmao canada :lmao

I wouldn't be surprised if baseball has a resurgence, tbh..the new style of play of home runs and strikeouts will be more appealing to casuals IMO, just like the NBA received a boost with the faster-paced, 3-point oriented style.. I've never had a problem with the game outside of the MLB's smugness and its stupid unwritten rules:lol the hypocrisy of the steroid era, where the best hitter of the modern era isn't even in the HOF..
as probable as a resurgence in the coal industry tbh :lmao the nba is dead, just casuals these days, it's a popularity contest with free throws.

midnightpulp
01-26-2018, 10:03 PM
The Harris Poll (a more legit poll), had the NBA at a lowly 5%, baseball at 15%, and soccer at 4%.

http://www.businessinsider.com/most-popular-sports-in-the-us-2016-3

Another thing to consider about this poll (both Harris and Gallup) is that it is asking only one specific question: favorite sport. That's a poor gauge of overall fan interest for a particular sport. NFL and MLB fans often crossover, meaning the majority of fans in this case probably have NFL #1, MLB#2. And this more comprehensive poll shows exactly that.

http://oi66.tinypic.com/2ni8hn5.jpg

Yes, I realize it's only including the MLS in the poll, but that's really the only league that matters here. The only chance in Hell soccer has of growing as a professional sport among mainstream America is through an English speaking domestic league. Liga MX is primarily watched by illegals, so it's irrelevant. And the EPL does about women's golf ratings on average.

And let's talk about ratings. The only metric that actually matters. As it stands, professional soccer doesn't draw flies. Even the Liga MX championship still lags behind the NHL Stanley Cup.

Oh, and Gallup did do an overall fan interest poll in Oct. Pro Baseball: 51%, Pro Soccer: 28%.

http://news.gallup.com/poll/220562/pro-football-losing-fans-sports-holding-steady.aspx?g_source=SPORTS&g_medium=topic&g_campaign=tiles

midnightpulp
01-26-2018, 10:51 PM
:lmao bringing this washed up troll back :lmao ace move :lmao canada :lmao

as probable as a resurgence in the coal industry tbh :lmao the nba is dead, just casuals these days, it's a popularity contest with free throws.

He's right on both counts. Actually, baseball never went anywhere. It was simply replaced by the NFL/Football as America's top sport, but those football fans still avidly watch the MLB, likely as their number 2 sport. See my above post for numbers that actually have a proper context. As for the NBA, it stands at over 30% fan interest, which is probably the highest it's ever been since the Jordan Era. As for cute little sawker, no, there's hasn't been much "growth" among the market segment advertisers want the most: 18-49 Mainstream America. MLS television ratings reflect this. EPL ratings reflect this. Polls reflect this. I do agree that overall soccer has grown, but only because illegal immigrants (there's probably 11-13 million of them) have triggered that growth, and you see it in how Liga MX television ratings crush all other professional soccer here. Now, it's quite possible that those illegals will wind up being the "seed" demographic (i.e. their kids following it and so on) that leads to soccer actually becoming a major sport, but it wasn't because America suddenly recognized the "greatness of soccer," but because an outside culture that imported themselves by the tens of millions (them and their children) brought that interest with them. So it wasn't by any means an "organic growth." It was forced.

Note, I'm not anti-immigrant (although there's elements about the immigrant situation here that highly annoy me), but that's how soccer has and will primarily grow. Also, if baseball haters think a Latino invasion (from Mexico/Central America) will spell the death of baseball, :lol. Latinos from those regions like baseball.

Trainwreck2100
01-26-2018, 11:21 PM
As the wage gap increases and middle class declines poverty ball will gain more fans

Mitch
01-26-2018, 11:29 PM
Bukkakeball won't ever really be popular in the US until they win the world cup, which isn't going to happen because we consider soccer a hobby rather than a sport and all of our athletes join NFL, NBA, MLB, etc.

midnightpulp
01-26-2018, 11:53 PM

tbh NFL niggas will never pass a roid test. even so, they can barely play seconds without direct coaching ... smh at these brain damaged monkeys playing a full game :lmao

:lol No.

Average EPL ratings: 423,000 per match.

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/media-microscope-nbcs-premier-league-ratings-dropped-for-the/1ji7c3e8hi2rv1u4muh5iwsqfh

Women's Golf:
For the first time ever in televised women’s golf, Sunday’s final round of the RICOH Women’s British Open (Sunday, Aug. 6, 2017, 1.1 million viewers) delivered the most-watched and highest-rated women’s golf telecast of the year.

:lol A Women's Golf tournament beats the average match in the biggest soccer league in the world. Yeah, it was a major, but it's fuckin' women's golf. Also, EPL can't beat Lumberjack competitions head-to-head:

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/skedball-weekend-sports-tv-ratings-10-28-29-2017.html

"B-B-But Americans watch their national team!"

10/10/17 – WCQ – Trinidad & Tobago vs. USA – beIN SPORTS – 463,000

And that game was one of the most important matches in US Soccer history, a do-or-die game that would decide whether or not they qualify for the World Cup, a feat US Men's soccer has managed every 4 years since 1994. This kind of match would have the citizens of soccer countries huddled around the village televisions, likely causing riots and other neanderthal level behavior soccer fans are too often privy to.

And no one gave a shit. 463,000. Also worse than women's golf and lumberjack competitions. :lmao

out of that merican bubble and see that there's a big world out there

What's with this "global village" nonsense? If what you mean by global village is always treating each other humanely and with respect, regardless of cultural differences, I agree, but fuck cultural homogeneity. What a boring fuckin' world where we all have the exact same favorite sport, movie taste, music taste, food taste, political opinion, etc, etc. I don't know why you "rest of the worlders" are so pathologically obsessed with this idea. When you say America needs to "embrace the rest of the world," (something I've heard/read countless times), what it really means is, "embrace our particular cultural customs and mores at the expensive of your own." You don't want to "share," you want to impose, yet your type always positions themselves as the self-righteous "open-minded" and "worldy" ones.

dfens
01-27-2018, 06:25 AM
:lol No.

Average EPL ratings: 423,000 per match.

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/media-microscope-nbcs-premier-league-ratings-dropped-for-the/1ji7c3e8hi2rv1u4muh5iwsqfh

Women's Golf:

:lol A Women's Golf tournament beats the average match in the biggest soccer league in the world. Yeah, it was a major, but it's fuckin' women's golf. Also, EPL can't beat Lumberjack competitions head-to-head:

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/skedball-weekend-sports-tv-ratings-10-28-29-2017.html

"B-B-But Americans watch their national team!"

And that game was one of the most important matches in US Soccer history, a do-or-die game that would decide whether or not they qualify for the World Cup, a feat US Men's soccer has managed every 4 years since 1994. This kind of match would have the citizens of soccer countries huddled around the village televisions, likely causing riots and other neanderthal level behavior soccer fans are too often privy to.

And no one gave a shit. 463,000. Also worse than women's golf and lumberjack competitions. :lmao

great example!, talking about a sports market through a single event example .. i'm sure that's how statistics work in trampland but in reality you look at yearly market share. keep on spamming son, smh writing all that nonesense:lmao

What's with this "global village" nonsense? If what you mean by global village is always treating each other humanely and with respect, regardless of cultural differences, I agree, but fuck cultural homogeneity. What a boring fuckin' world where we all have the exact same favorite sport, movie taste, music taste, food taste, political opinion, etc, etc. I don't know why you "rest of the worlders" are so pathologically obsessed with this idea. When you say America needs to "embrace the rest of the world," (something I've heard/read countless times), what it really means is, "embrace our particular cultural customs and mores at the expensive of your own." You don't want to "share," you want to impose, yet your type always positions themselves as the self-righteous "open-minded" and "worldy" ones.

son the entire planet has football as #1 because it's the best sport. It has nothing to do with cultural differences, just a superior product in all ways.

midnightpulp
01-27-2018, 07:24 AM
great example!, talking about a sports market through a single event example .. i'm sure that's how statistics work in trampland but in reality you look at yearly market share. keep on spamming son, smh writing all that nonesense:lmao

:lol How else are you supposed to dial in unique viewership? I know you want to cumulatively add up all the fan interest the MLS, EPL, La Liga, Liga MX, and International soccer receive here to arrive at an arbitrary number that looks impressive, but many of the fans crossover. It'd be like me adding up college and pro football's viewership. Here's the best gauge of American fan interest in the sport. MLS ratings and US Men team's national ratings in non-World Cup events (the World Cup is the great casual drawer, much like how millions tune in to watch Women's gymnastics during the Olympics, but barely follow it otherwise). You saw that a crucial World Cup qualifying match drew a pathetic 463,000, and was relegated to a fringe cable sports channel. MLS cup ratings. The latest from this December:

Good morning. Early #MLSCup ratings info: 0.7 overnight, up +75% from ESPN’s 2015 broadcast and the highest-rated final on cable since 2012.

:lmao :lmao :lmao

Here's the kind of ratings the Finals in the MLB, NBA, NCAAF draw.

The 18.8 is also the highest for any non-NFL sporting event this year, the second straight year baseball has taken top honors. Excluding both the NFL and the Olympic Games, it is the fourth-highest overnight for any sporting event in a decade — since the 2007 Florida-Ohio State college football national championship (19.1) — behind last year’s Game 7, Game 7 of the 2016 Cavaliers-Warriors NBA Finals (18.9) and the 2015 Ohio State-Oregon college football title game (18.9).

Near 20s across the board, while the "growing" MLS final averages a shitty 0.7 (about even with Women's golf majors :lol). And no, EPL, La Liga, et al don't fare much better.

midnightpulp
01-27-2018, 08:29 AM
son the entire planet has football as #1 because it's the best sport. It has nothing to do with cultural differences, just a superior product in all ways.

The entire planet also has McDonald's as its favorite restaurant chain. Popularity is determined by advertising, accessibility, and timing (i.e. the British would've probably rather seen their national sport of cricket take hold throughout the world at the time, since it was the sport above all that symbolized "Britishness," but soccer was easier to sell to because of its simplicity and inexpensive barrier to entry, just like McDonald's is easier to sell over proper restaurant food).

Clipper Nation
01-27-2018, 09:43 AM
:lmao Holy shit... povertyball is less popular than "women's" "sports" in the only relevant country on Earth. And povertyball fans actually think their "sport" isn't complete trash?

midnightpulp
01-27-2018, 09:52 AM
:lmao Holy shit... povertyball is less popular than "women's" "sports" in the only relevant country on Earth. And povertyball fans actually think their "sport" isn't complete trash?

And it's just not women's golf that stomps the "fastest growing league and sport in America."

ESPN's broadcast of (WNBA FINALS) Game 5 on Wednesday had a 0.8 market rating, which was double the 2016 Game 5, and like the series, was the best since 2003. The game peaked at a 1.1 rating from 10:45-11 p.m.

The MLS Cup Final in December drew a 0.7 :lol

AlexJones
01-27-2018, 10:03 AM
Baseball is going up as long as the Yankees are trending up.

Xevious
01-27-2018, 10:47 AM
Bukkakeball won't ever really be popular in the US until they win the world cup, which isn't going to happen because we consider soccer a hobby rather than a sport and all of our athletes join NFL, NBA, MLB, etc.
This is a good point. Soccer is an activity that busybody moms sign their kids up for to get exercise, because it's cheap and easy to learn. I bet you none of those kids could name a single MLS player.

Spurtacular
01-27-2018, 02:18 PM

MLS has grass roots excitement though. I believe FIFA has sabotaged USMNT in the past b/c they know that USMNT WC title would have quite possibly made MLS the preeminent league and supplanted European leagues as the dominant monetary force. But if we're talking strictly money or quality of play, MLS is akin to trash. I can't argue to vigorously for it. I think the two things it has going for it is newer facilities, which are getting filled and the potential redemption run coming for the 2022 World Cup.

Barfunk
01-27-2018, 02:25 PM
Lol Soccer. Boring ass sport.

BD24
01-27-2018, 02:42 PM
LOL.

Of all the stupid shit I've read on ST this has to be near the top.

Football, Baseball, Basketball, and Hockey all will remain far more popular than doublehandjoball in the US. The average US citizen probably cant even name one MLS team, yet I'm supposed to believe that soon it will be the 3rd most popular sport :lol

Clipper Nation
01-27-2018, 02:44 PM
MLS has grass roots excitement though. I believe FIFA has sabotaged USMNT in the past b/c they know that USMNT WC title would have quite possibly made MLS the preeminent league and supplanted European leagues as the dominant monetary force. But if we're talking strictly money or quality of play, MLS is akin to trash. I can't argue to vigorously for it. I think the two things it has going for it is newer facilities, which are getting filled and the potential redemption run coming for the 2022 World Cup.

The MLS was, is and always will be trash. It's the equivalent of that Chinese league your boy Jimmer is playing in.

midnightpulp
01-27-2018, 03:20 PM
LOL.

Football, Baseball, Basketball, and Hockey all will remain far more popular than doublehandjoball in the US. The average US citizen probably cant even name one MLS team, yet I'm supposed to believe that soon it will be the 3rd most popular sport :lol

The Hail Mary play for soccertards who for some unknown pathological reason need to see soccer become a major sport here is hoping all the illegals and their offspring (that demographic could be 30ish million large right now) make it into a "major sport." It could happen, but it won't be the MLS that gets the boost, it will probably Liga MX, or possibly a Liga MX/MLS merger. Point is, soccer becoming relevant won't be due to any kind of organic growth of mainstream America suddenly loving the game. It will because the Latino immigrant niche is finally large enough to make it relevant.

Silver&Black
01-27-2018, 05:11 PM
LOL.

I know the Galaxy (b/c of Beckham) and the Red Bulls (b/c it gives you wings). And I'm a HUGE sports fan.

Can name every single NFL and NBA team. If given enough time...i could name every MLB and NHL team too.

Spurtacular
01-27-2018, 05:27 PM
The MLS was, is and always will be trash. It's the equivalent of that Chinese league your boy Jimmer is playing in.

MLS has already surpassed many leagues in quality. The trend is clear.

spurraider21
01-27-2018, 05:47 PM
The Harris Poll (a more legit poll)
:lol well that's convenient

midnightpulp
01-27-2018, 08:21 PM
:lol well that's convenient

They've been long recognized as the leader for sports polling. I don't really care what either poll has to say, though. The "favorite" question is inherently flawed for gauging fan interest (or interest in anything). You could poll 10 people about their favorite food, 5 will say hamburgers, 4 pizza, and 1 Fois Gras, but anyone with a brain would know that Fois Grais wouldn't be the 3rd most popular food among that group. Also, anyone can say anything on a poll, and we should've learned by now not to credulously trust polls after the 2016 election debacle. Follow the ratings here. Soccer has relatively poor ratings (aside from the illegal immigrant league).

koriwhat
01-27-2018, 08:40 PM
soccer one of americas fav sports... lmao! ZzZzZz

dfens
01-27-2018, 08:53 PM
sons if beisball is so big in the united states then why y'all boys can't consistently beat the giants of japan and cuba tbh? :lol

midnightpulp
01-27-2018, 09:29 PM
sons if beisball is so big in the united states then why y'all boys can't consistently beat the giants of japan and cuba tbh? :lol

We beat Japan in the WBC. Cuba? They've never won a tournament in which professional players from non-commie countries are allowed to compete. They send their "amateur professionals" and win irrelevant shit like the Baseball World Cup, beating up amateurs, like the Soviets used to do in Ice Hockey.

dfens
01-28-2018, 06:53 AM
We beat Japan in the WBC. Cuba? They've never won a tournament in which professional players from non-commie countries are allowed to compete. They send their "amateur professionals" and win irrelevant shit like the Baseball World Cup, beating up amateurs, like the Soviets used to do in Ice Hockey.

so because you got your shit pushed in the official tournament https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseball_World_Cup you decided to bribe everybody and make a 2nd tournament, this : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Baseball_Classic
yet in both of them you are 2nd, and NOBODY gives a fuck about it. Literally 2nd to the athletes of Japan / Puerto Rico :lmao

you didn't send pro players because you knew it was pointless tbh, in merika nobody cares about merika, these monkeys care more about what hood they came out from ... tell you all you need to know :lol

Silver&Black
01-28-2018, 03:15 PM

Because all the "World Class" Athletes we have don't play these boring ass sports. How many times must I tell you guys.....the average American 15 year old kid who has all-world talent wants to play Basketball or Football.

Nobody gives a fuck about beisbol or DoublehandjobBall.

Pelicans78
01-28-2018, 03:24 PM

The majority of the top players don't play in these tournaments because they occur during Spring Training and most players care about getting ready for the regular season. I was surprised the USA won last time.

Pelicans78
01-28-2018, 03:26 PM
Because all the "World Class" Athletes we have don't play these boring ass sports. How many times must I tell you guys.....the average American 15 year old kid who has all-world talent wants to play Basketball or Football.

Not in the south. More people care about baseball than basketball. And baseball is still watched on a regional/local level compared to the NBA. Majority of cities care more about their baseball team than with their NBA team.

Silver&Black
01-28-2018, 03:37 PM
Not in the south. More people care about baseball than basketball. And baseball is still watched on a regional/local level compared to the NBA. Majority of cities care more about their baseball team than with their NBA team.

Hold the phone. You're talking about "watching" the games. Those people don't put on uniforms and contribute to the game. Most of those guys who watch beisbol are 55-60 years old.

I'm talking about the black kid who runs a 4.50 at 17 years old. He doesn't want to play beisbol. He wants to be a DB or WR in the NFL. Who cares that a bunch of old white guys watch the games on TV?

We're talking about two different things.

midnightpulp
01-28-2018, 10:36 PM

Average 60 yard dash time for MLB players is on par with with the average 40 times in the NFL (when converting the times and adjusting for increased speed). Average MLB vertical is 28", identical to the average vert of NBA players. You will not succeed as a middle infielder/outfielder in the MLB with anything short of world class athleticism. Swinging a bat is a more explosive core abdominal action than anything you'll see in basketball and football outside of tackling.

midnightpulp
01-28-2018, 10:57 PM
Hold the phone. You're talking about "watching" the games. Those people don't put on uniforms and contribute to the game. Most of those guys who watch beisbol are 55-60 years old.

I'm talking about the black kid who runs a 4.50 at 17 years old. He doesn't want to play beisbol. He wants to be a DB or WR in the NFL. Who cares that a bunch of old white guys watch the games on TV?

We're talking about two different things.

The decline of baseball in the black community has more to do with the emergence of pay-for-play travelling teams (that only suburban whites can afford) that killed Little League baseball in the urban community than any inherent "inferiority" as baseball as a fun sport compared to football and basketball. For generations, blacks chose baseball over other sports, even as recently as the 80's (so we can't make the excuse that it was because the NFL and NBA haven't "arrived yet.")

That said, it also depends on the psychology of the person. I found football fun on offense, but painfully boring on defense (I played RB, CB when I was younger and undersized nose-guard in high school. Defense is boring is because there's nothing particularly skillful to execute. It's pure effort and athleticism most of the time). And playing any position beside QB, you feel like a cog-in-a-machine who has to march in lockstep with what the coaching staffs demands each and every play. In baseball, you are the QB of your "own offense," regardless if you're in the heart of the lineup or at the bottom, and each player gets roughly the same amount of offensive attempts. Basketball is more individualistic, but can also have that cog feel if you're not one of the team's stars.

Basically, people with a more individualistic mentally will find baseball "more fun."