PDA

View Full Version : Trade bait before the deadline...

ElNono
01-28-2018, 09:21 PM
IMO, clearly Patty and Danny... that's $20m right there... maybe Gasol if there's any takers, his stock might be up a bit now...

Kyle at $2m is not worth the trade value, IMO, unless he makes some 3 team trade work.

Who would you put on this roster on the trade market?

TheGreatYacht
01-28-2018, 09:22 PM
Wouldn't be shocked to see this "mysterious" Green injury linger until the day after the deadline....

Hoops Czar
01-28-2018, 09:25 PM
I'd dangle Aldridge before the deadline and if they can get a mid 1st rounder, they should take it and run.

LittleCriminal
01-28-2018, 09:41 PM
in need to go asap order...
Anderson
Mills
Costello
Joff
Paul
Hillard

Need a good Backup SF and Backup Pf/C for any of these bums.
Doubt The FO trades anyone though..

Mr. Body
01-28-2018, 09:42 PM
I like how this was sort of a legitimate thread and then posters just started shitting all over it.

Darius Bieber
01-28-2018, 09:42 PM
Anderson
Mills
Costello
Joff
Paul
Hillard

If you package all of them, you wouldn't even get a second round pick.

SpurPadre
01-28-2018, 09:45 PM

That package isn't worth LeBron's morning turd tbh.

Ibleedslvrnblk
01-28-2018, 09:46 PM
Shame on this team who in like the last 10 years not having a pick less that what 25?30? For not finding every manu out there.

ceds
01-28-2018, 09:48 PM
IMO, clearly Patty and Danny... that's $20m right there... maybe Gasol if there's any takers, his stock might be up a bit now...

Kyle at $2m is not worth the trade value, IMO, unless he makes some 3 team trade work.

Danny & Patty were both rewarded with their contracts for 13 & 14....In a perfect world we could move both but pop/rc wouldn't dare mess with dat "SA culture"

Right now we are clearly showcasing DJ....The offense has been running through the bigs for the most part since he has been starting...It will take another 2 years (and some good luck) for him to be a real pg but he has allot of tools and its good to see him put up some numbers.

The front office needs to get more ruthless.....TP salary dump for example

LittleCriminal
01-28-2018, 09:53 PM

I'd be happier with the 2nd round pick..

SpurPadre
01-28-2018, 09:54 PM
I'd be happier with the 2nd round pick..

I'd be happier with LeBron's morning turd.

Robz4000
01-28-2018, 09:55 PM
Anderson
Mills
Costello
Joff
Paul
Hillard

Lauvergne needs to be at the top of any list like this.

ElNono
01-28-2018, 09:56 PM
Danny & Patty were both rewarded with their contracts for 13 & 14....In a perfect world we could move both but pop/rc wouldn't dare mess with dat "SA culture"

Right now we are clearly showcasing DJ....The offense has been running through the bigs for the most part since he has been starting...It will take another 2 years (and some good luck) for him to be a real pg but he has allot of tools and its good to see him put up some numbers.

The front office needs to get more ruthless.....TP salary dump for example

You're not going to get anything worthwhile for less than 3 mills, tbh... that's why Fathead and DJ aren't going anywhere, IMO, unless it's some sort of sweetener on a deal... We also know TP and Manu ain't going anywhere either, plus their roles are already fairly diminished...

Spurs are sorely lacking a starting caliber SG, and a backup big...

MVPCues
I'd dangle Aldridge before the deadline and if they can get a mid 1st rounder, they should take it and run.

Aldridge can't be traded.

SpurPadre
Lauvergne needs to be at the top of any list like this.

He shouldn't even be on a G-League list, tbh.

ElNono
01-28-2018, 09:58 PM
The problem with Joff is that he sucks badly, and $1.5m is a not a lot to work with. On top of that, he has a bad enough contract where he has a player option next season, IIRC.

Ibleedslvrnblk
01-28-2018, 09:59 PM
I just took the last few minutes looking at drafts for the last 8 years or so. It's shocking how bad most players are. Depending on the year anywhere from 7-15 players average double figures. Take away the top five licks and it just drops. Go to where the Spurs draft and most players are just terrible or not even playing.

ElNono
01-28-2018, 10:04 PM
:lol nobody is complaining about Spurs' draft picks, they are what they are. The Spurs do have some tweaking to do on this roster, despite Leonard being out, and in light of the rash of injuries. Even if it's not for this season, at least to start shoring up the roster for next season if a good opportunity shows up.

To do that, you need to move pieces that have relative value on their contracts. One could make the argument for Rudy Gay also, although I think the Spurs are paying what they should there for a scorer (provided he recovers from his injury).

ceds
01-28-2018, 10:13 PM
Big mistake extending LMA imo

really limits our options

Hoops Czar
01-28-2018, 10:16 PM

sasaint
01-28-2018, 10:26 PM

Only limits us this season, which is The Lost Season, anyway. It could be a real boon next summer. LMA will be an All-Star who is locked up for 4 years.

ceds
01-28-2018, 10:38 PM
Good point...next season he will be even more valuable.

Because this and next season are throwaway's and its crucial we get some young talent in to give Kawhi a 4-5 year window.

It's the guys who will be 30+ during this window that we need to shop.

What we have to work with:

LMA +Green/Mills ...sweeteners DJ, Kyle, Bertans , draft pick

TP salary dump (cant see it happening though)

CGD
If there is a silverlining is the spurs now have are several good and serviceable players with “middle class contracts” that can be combined together with some young pieces (Murray, Forbes, Kyle) and picks for value. Just perusing player salary websites, i see lots of teams with a mix of really low salaries and very high salaries, and little of what we would call meaningful filler these days.

The spurs have at least 3 of those in Patty, Green, Gay, and even Pau gives flexibility with that final year being a partial. They need to get value for those.

Seventyniner
:lol nobody is complaining about Spurs' draft picks, they are what they are. The Spurs do have some tweaking to do on this roster, despite Leonard being out, and in light of the rash of injuries. Even if it's not for this season, at least to start shoring up the roster for next season if a good opportunity shows up.

To do that, you need to move pieces that have relative value on their contracts. One could make the argument for Rudy Gay also, although I think the Spurs are paying what they should there for a scorer (provided he recovers from his injury).

"What they are" are pretty damn good picks for where they were taken. Better players were taken behind them, sure, but Murray and Anderson are far from busts. Milutinov could still become a good player though taking so long to bring him over diminishes the value of the pick a la Splitter. And White is just buried in the rotation, can't tell much about him yet.

It would take a hell of a deal to move Gay. Pop obviously talked him up during free agency ("Spur for life" comments) and the Spurs aren't generally the type to trade away someone they don't want to move unless the return is compelling. Kemba Walker is definitely compelling though.

SAGirl
01-28-2018, 10:39 PM
It probably should be Mills and/or Danny if you really want to bring back someone who will make a difference.

Trade machininig isn’t my thing much. But in Mills case he was awarded a generous contract and he will still get it no matter where he plays. With that, Spurs don’t owe him much more.

His spot appears to be taken over with Murray’s ascendence and Tony now a bench player. They have a glut of guards and have a draft pick they aren’t even playing so when/if they get Rudy and Kawhi back, some munchkin lineups aren’t going to see the light anymore outside garbage time. Bryn shooting and scoring well makes Mills even more redundant.

I remain skeptical Pop move them midseason (a smaller move is more likely than a full shakeup of rotation players) but at the same time, other than the usual guys that aren’t for trade I don’t think anyone should feel that secure.

sasaint
01-28-2018, 10:49 PM

Because this and next season are throwaway's and its crucial we get some young talent in to give Kawhi a 4-5 year window.

I believe TP's fate depends entirely on Kawhi. If the reports about Kawhi's being disgruntled are accurate, then all Kawhi has to do is make known his desire to keep/drop Tony and his expiring contract.

SAGirl
01-28-2018, 11:00 PM
I believe TP's fate depends entirely on Kawhi. If the reports about Kawhi's being disgruntled are accurate, then all Kawhi has to do is make known his desire to keep/drop Tony and his expiring contract.
He wouldn't do that. It's not in Kiwis nature to really meddle in FO business. He hasn't even been an active recruiter and he's in a very difficult, if not straight up ridiculous position to be complaining about a roster when he's injured practically the entire season.

I think Kiwi is more likely to be upset about this injury and ramifications of that on his career...

MaNu4Tres
01-28-2018, 11:04 PM
Mills, Green, Bertans, Anderson are on table.

Mills needs to go.

The Mills deal was like if Belichick used 2 back to back 1st round picks on RBs then went into FA by re signing Burkhead to a 4/52 million dollar deal. The deal made no sense and was unnecessary. Pop & RC shit the bed with that deal.

At least with Pau, he filled a huge need since LA was only other true big and it was only 2 years guaranteed.

Use Kyle or Davis to help offload Patty. ( whichever you don't see Spurs moving forward with since its highly unlikely they re sign both).

sasaint
01-28-2018, 11:08 PM
He wouldn't do that. It's not in Kiwis nature to really meddle in FO business. He hasn't even been an active recruiter and he's in a very difficult, if not straight up ridiculous position to be complaining about a roster when he's injured practically the entire season.

I think Kiwi is more likely to be upset about this injury and ramifications of that on his career...

I didn't realize you and Kawhi were so close... :lol

It is well known that PATFO sought out Timmy's opinions, and he was only slightly less reticent than Kawhi. The fact that somebody in Kawhi's "camp" apparently leaked info about his being "distant" already shatters one paradigm. I could easily imagine PATFO's soliciting their superstar's input, or alternatively Kawhi's communicating his opinion - in a circumspect way or more directly.

sananspursfan21
01-28-2018, 11:09 PM
I like how this was sort of a legitimate thread and then posters just started shitting all over it.

You could almost say they ‘took it like trade bait’ :toast

I agree though. I clicked in hopes of finding some serious conversation. Whoops.

ElNono
01-28-2018, 11:12 PM
"What they are" are pretty damn good picks for where they were taken. Better players were taken behind them, sure, but Murray and Anderson are far from busts. Milutinov could still become a good player though taking so long to bring him over diminishes the value of the pick a la Splitter. And White is just buried in the rotation, can't tell much about him yet.

It would take a hell of a deal to move Gay. Pop obviously talked him up during free agency ("Spur for life" comments) and the Spurs aren't generally the type to trade away someone they don't want to move unless the return is compelling. Kemba Walker is definitely compelling though.

What I meant by that is that they'll pan out or not, tbh, but we shouldn't be expecting any of those guys to soar into a known quantity that can help now. If it happens great, but it's not happening anytime soon anyways (maybe Murray). Also, to nitpick, don't forget LJC was a round 1 pick for the Spurs too.

ElNono
01-28-2018, 11:14 PM
:lol this is probably the most serious thread in Sputstalk in like 5 years, tbh...

SAGirl
01-28-2018, 11:14 PM
I didn't realize you and Kawhi were so close... :lol

It is well known that PATFO sought out Timmy's opinions, and he was only slightly less reticent than Kawhi. The fact that somebody in Kawhi's "camp" apparently leaked info about his being "distant" already shatters one paradigm. I could easily imagine PATFO's soliciting their superstar's input, or alternatively Kawhi's communicating his opinion - in a circumspect way or more directly.
Heh... I just don't picture Kiwi as a meddler for better or worse. It's a very different thing to ask him if he ok with les say trading for Kemba, does he like his game? Would he like the team to trade for him after the FO already bas something worked out, than imagining Kiwi demanding someone be traded. Only LeBron pulls stunts like that.

dabom
01-28-2018, 11:17 PM
:lol this is probably the most serious thread in Sputstalk in like 5 years, tbh...

Mills :lol

sasaint
01-28-2018, 11:18 PM
Heh... I just don't picture Kiwi as a meddler for better or worse. It's a very different thing to ask him if he ok with les say trading for Kemba, does he like his game? Would he like the team to trade for him after the FO already bas something worked out, than imagining Kiwi demanding someone be traded. Only LeBron pulls stunts like that.

Re-read both of my previous posts. I didn't even suggest a demand.

sasaint
01-28-2018, 11:19 PM
What I meant by that is that they'll pan out or not, tbh, but we shouldn't be expecting any of those guys to soar into a known quantity that can help now. If it happens great, but it's not happening anytime soon anyways (maybe Murray). Also, to nitpick, don't forget LJC was a round 1 pick for the Spurs too.

When (year and round) did they draft Milutinov?

ElNono
01-28-2018, 11:21 PM
When (year and round) did they draft Milutinov?

Round 1, 2015

ElNono
01-28-2018, 11:22 PM
Mills :lol

:lol I don't hate Patty, but realistically, him and Green have the contracts that can give the Spurs the most return for their value...

SAGirl
01-28-2018, 11:26 PM
Re-read both of my previous posts. I didn't even suggest a demand.
True... still I think he's much more likely to be upset about his injury than about the roster. He tends t be very disengaged from recruiting to begin with and for as little as he speaks I don't recall him ever making comments in a negative fashion on anyone...

Also he's been injured. I don't think he can even really have a strong point to make about anyone if he's not playing. It would be very different if he was playing and his teammates let him down.

Still think his injury is 100% of his chilling ... I could be wrong obviously.

sasaint
01-28-2018, 11:26 PM
Round 1, 2015

He goes with the Euro-trash until he proves otherwise. Isn't he a back-up with Olimpiakos or something?

MultiTroll
01-28-2018, 11:27 PM
1. Craig Popplevich
2. Patty
3. Green
4. Gasol
5. Gay (good contract just that he won't be playing over 25 games a year)
6. Forbes

sasaint
01-28-2018, 11:34 PM
True... still I think he's much more likely to be upset about his injury than about the roster. He tends t be very disengaged from recruiting to begin with and for as little as he speaks I don't recall him ever making comments in a negative fashion on anyone...

Also he's been injured. I don't think he can even really have a strong point to make about anyone if he's not playing. It would be very different if he was playing and his teammates let him down.

Still think his injury is 100% of his chilling ... I could be wrong obviously.

Ahhhh...I think his chilling is a combination of factors, possibly including issues with LMA, which I have theorized for quite some time. I don't see that an offense can work very well - especially in today's NBA- with those two both in the lineup. I have the idea that Kawhi (and probably LMA, too) have the same issues as I do. Of course I am speculating wildly.

SAGirl
01-28-2018, 11:41 PM
Ahhhh...I think his chilling is a combination of factors, possibly including issues with LMA, which I have theorized for quite some time. I don't see that an offense can work very well - especially in today's NBA- with those two both in the lineup. I have the idea that Kawhi (and probably LMA, too) have the same issues as I do. Of course I am speculating wildly.
That is a good point but if he had an issue with Lamarcus, why would PATFO double down with him?

There can be chemistry issues though but again since he's not playing Spurs have to do whatever they can with whomever is available which is why him complaining while injured about anyone doesn't check out with me. Just doesn't make sense.

He need to get healthy and then raise hell if he wants to.

sasaint
01-28-2018, 11:50 PM
That is a good point but if he had an issue with Lamarcus, why would PATFO double down with him?

There can be chemistry issues though but again since he's not playing Spurs have to do whatever they can with whomever is available which is why him complaining while injured about anyone doesn't check out with me. Just doesn't make sense.

He need to get healthy and then raise hell if he wants to.

If you are PATFO, "doubling down" on LMA does wonders. It patches up Pop's reputation, repairs the Spurs image, gives you another season (which turned out to be the Lost Season) to perfect your iso-centric 80's brand of basketball, and failing that gives you a tradeable asset with restored value on a long term deal.

Why does Kawhi need to be on the floor to apprehend that the supporting cast isn't very good? You and I aren't in the lineup.

Strategic
01-28-2018, 11:52 PM
:lol this is probably the most serious thread in Sputstalk in like 5 years, tbh...You’re finally living up to your potential.

ducks
01-28-2018, 11:55 PM
:lol I don't hate Patty, but realistically, him and Green have the contracts that can give the Spurs the most return for their value...

If mills was worth his contract spurs would not want him
Traded
You think mills will bring spurs back a better player then mills?
Better call Kings gm

SAGirl
01-28-2018, 11:58 PM
If you are PATFO, "doubling down" on LMA does wonders. It patches up Pop's reputation, repairs the Spurs image, gives you another season (which turned out to be the Lost Season) to perfect your iso-centric 80's brand of basketball, and failing that gives you a tradeable asset with restored value on a long term deal.

Why does Kawhi need to be on the floor to apprehend that the supporting cast isn't very good? You and I aren't in the lineup.
Bc IMO we have a fan perspective, a player ought to see where he could come in and make a difference for the better. That’s rather the perspective I have seen injured players have. Even bench players. Take Manu and the many times he would remarked coming off the bench allowed him to see what the other team was doing and ways he could impact the game right away, things he could do. That’s a players perspective, instead of someone criticizing teammates for not being good enough. Good players tend to even look inside first, at what they can do. Eventually though if they have done all they can and it’s not enough then you complain. That’s just an observation of how good players deal with adversity and such... Kiwi not playing, I just really doubt he would complain. Just my opinion.

That doesn’t absolve PATFO though from looking to improve the team.

sasaint
01-29-2018, 12:13 AM
Bc IMO we have a fan perspective, a player ought to see where he could come in and make a difference for the better. That’s rather the perspective I have seen injured players have. Even bench players. Take Manu and the many times he would remarked coming off the bench allowed him to see what the other team was doing and ways he could impact the game right away, things he could do. That’s a players perspective, instead of someone criticizing teammates for not being good enough. Good players tend to even look inside first, at what they can do. Eventually though if they have done all they can and it’s not enough then you complain. That’s just an observation of how good players deal with adversity and such... Kiwi not playing, I just really doubt he would complain. Just my opinion.

That doesn’t absolve PATFO though from looking to improve the team.

Wait, our discussion hasn't been about "complaining". In my mind we were discussing whether Kawhi might offer his opinion about the direction of the team and about specific personnel. "Complaining" connotes something different to me - like airing dirty laundry in the media. But wait, Kawhi (or his camp) already has done some complaining that reached the media...

SAGirl
01-29-2018, 12:49 AM
Wait, our discussion hasn't been about "complaining". In my mind we were discussing whether Kawhi might offer his opinion about the direction of the team and about specific personnel. "Complaining" connotes something different to me - like airing dirty laundry in the media. But wait, Kawhi (or his camp) already has done some complaining that reached the media...

I don’t buy that personally. He probably was dissappointed the Spurs weren’t able to do anything different in the summer bc the rumors were that PATFO tried very hard to get Irving and had interest in CP3. He must have known everything that went down with LMA.

Kiwi complaining during the season would be very disruptive.

Lamarcus was unhappy for an entire season and didn’t voice things with a Pop until the offseason but your point about the chemistry and the past summer is a good one if he said something then Spurs are in the know. The reports about the roster came in early in the season or preseason which now make more sense to me.

Pavlov
01-29-2018, 12:55 AM
This is just the kind of situation where no one gets traded. I guess anything's possible but nothing seems more possible.

alpha_HaZE
01-29-2018, 01:14 AM

I would too, but don't think that's possible. He just signed an extension.

sasaint
01-29-2018, 01:30 AM
I don’t buy that personally. He probably was dissappointed the Spurs weren’t able to do anything different in the summer bc the rumors were that PATFO tried very hard to get Irving and had interest in CP3. He must have known everything that went down with LMA.

Kiwi complaining during the season would be very disruptive.

Lamarcus was unhappy for an entire season and didn’t voice things with a Pop until the offseason but your point about the chemistry and the past summer is a good one if he said something then Spurs are in the know. The reports about the roster came in early in the season or preseason which now make more sense to me.

What is it that you don't buy?

Birn
01-29-2018, 01:41 AM
They're not going to trade anybody. Maybe a small move like for someone such as Skal Labissier. If they make any roster moves, it will be after the deadline with the buyout market.

SAGirl
01-29-2018, 01:42 AM
What is it that you don't buy?
That he would complain or give nuanced inclinations in the middle of the season that he wants changes. It would be disruptive and he’s not playing... that’s even borderline cancerous if he’s anything but supportive right now bc as a player in the middle of the season, he should be focused on getting better and playing and helping out the team. I do buy he would be frustrated with the injury management and the difficulties he has experienced... However in the summer and the offseason I do buy he could and would express concerns..

sasaint
01-29-2018, 02:13 AM
That he would complain or give nuanced inclinations in the middle of the season that he wants changes. It would be disruptive and he’s not playing... that’s even borderline cancerous if he’s anything but supportive right now bc as a player in the middle of the season, he should be focused on getting better and playing and helping out the team. I do buy he would be frustrated with the injury management and the difficulties he has experienced... However in the summer and the offseason I do buy he could and would express concerns..

Gotcha. Good points. I think that's probably a good read of Kawhi's character.

cd021
01-29-2018, 06:39 AM
Mills, Green, Bertans, Anderson are on table.

Mills needs to go.

The Mills deal was like if Belichick used 2 back to back 1st round picks on RBs then went into FA by re signing Burkhead to a 4/52 million dollar deal. The deal made no sense and was unnecessary. Pop & RC shit the bed with that deal.

At least with Pau, he filled a huge need since LA was only other true big and it was only 2 years guaranteed.

Use Kyle or Davis to help offload Patty. ( whichever you don't see Spurs moving forward with since its highly unlikely they re sign both).

Been saying this since the off season but if Green is really available then they need to hit Cleveland up daily letting them know he is.

Danny for the Cav's 2018 1st round pick ( currently the 22nd or 23rd pick), Zizic, and Frye is a good return if the Spurs were to go that route- which would be pretty damn surprising if they actually did

Chinook
01-29-2018, 07:51 AM
Been saying this since the off season but if Green is really available then they need to hit Cleveland up daily letting them know he is.

Danny for the Cav's 2018 1st round pick ( currently the 22nd or 23rd pick), Zizic, and Frye is a good return if the Spurs were to go that route- which would be pretty damn surprising if they actually did

It's a good return (especially if Danny isn't exactly what the Cavs need and Cleveland goes on a run), but I can't imagine the Spurs being sellers during the deadline.

George Gervin's Afro
01-29-2018, 08:00 AM
Can we put some poster's on the trade market?

jag
01-29-2018, 08:22 AM

:lol

Seventyniner
01-29-2018, 08:25 AM

Good point about LJC, I had edited him out of my memory. :lol

Straight up bust.

duncan2k5
01-29-2018, 10:42 AM

he will be older next season, with a potential postseason disappearing act for the second year in a row...he WONT be more valuable...

duncan2k5
01-29-2018, 10:44 AM

spurs were one of the best offenses last year...im confused...

Chinook
01-29-2018, 12:44 PM
spurs were one of the best offenses last year...im confused...

There were a safely above-average offense in terms of ORtg. At best they were efficient but not dynamic. They certainly weren't high-octane or even particularly imaginative.