PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Cap space: good or bad?

DAF86
01-30-2018, 07:09 PM
What do you say?

Edit: by "cap space" I meant the "Salary cap" rule. I just now realize that my question can be easily misunderstood.

spurraider21
01-30-2018, 08:11 PM
the NBA's is probably over-complicated, but a fan of salary caps in general

makes GM-ing much more of an art

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-01-2018, 03:42 PM
It gives small market teams a chance...good. However the parity it was supposed to create hasn't fully materialized with Lebron dominating the east and the Warriors owning the rest.

dfens
02-01-2018, 04:05 PM
son of course salary caps are good, but they have to be high.

also players making a shit-ton of money from advertisment makes it kinda moot.

what i'd be a fan of is having 5 all nba teams penciled out by the players themselves, in a public vote, where they aren't allowed to vote themselves or players from their team. Based on these 5 teams the players that get on them have a minimum market value and also teams get a max number of such players per team. That's the only reasonable solution to the NBA right now.

In football a simple cap would be enough because there is plenty of great talent and the tv deals produce >>>>> avg star adverts.

spurraider21
02-01-2018, 04:13 PM
i think all sports should have a star player exemption kinda like the MLS does, where you can pay the superstars whatever their true value is and not have them count against the cap. and you can limit that to anybody who has made all nba first team or second team or something, to define what constitutes a star player that would fit in that exception

Will Hunting
02-01-2018, 04:28 PM
The NBAs salary cap rule would work a lot better if not for the “max salary” concept. There would actually be more of a science to managing the cap and determining the true value of star players the way there is in the NFL, and you wouldn’t have super teams because a guy like Durant isn’t going to leave that much money on the table.

baseline bum
02-01-2018, 04:42 PM
The cap should stay but the max salary should be removed. Having such a low max salary makes it too easy to form super teams and greatly inflates the salaries of midlevel players. Of course the NBAPA would never go for it since there are a lot more midlevel players than stars. Jordan's contract was for 101% of the cap his last season in Chicago, but that was before the luxury tax existed.

baseline bum
02-01-2018, 04:46 PM
It makes no sense that guys like Millsap, Hayward, Griffin, and Lowry make close to the money LeBron does.

RsxPiimp
02-03-2018, 03:09 PM
i just hate the supermax rule. I know, the market dictates it but guys like john wall shouldn't be making $40 mil a year. its absolutely ridiculous. you shouldn't offer $200 million/5 yrs when your competitor can only offer $150. transactions like that just doesn't make sense.

offset formation
02-03-2018, 03:25 PM
i just hate the supermax rule. I know, the market dictates it but guys like john wall shouldn't be making $40 mil a year. its absolutely ridiculous. you shouldn't offer $200 million/5 yrs when your competitor can only offer $150. transactions like that just doesn't make sense.

Sure they do. It's made the small and mid-market teams competitive with the big boys. I know why Laker fan doesn't like it.

RsxPiimp
02-03-2018, 03:46 PM
Sure they do. It's made the small and mid-market teams competitive with the big boys. I know why Laker fan doesn't like it.

market size is irrelevant nowadays. it's not 1998.

plus you miss the point. supermax is going to cripple any franchise that doesn't use it's cap, wisely.

offset formation
02-03-2018, 04:06 PM
market size is irrelevant nowadays. it's not 1998.

plus you miss the point. supermax is going to cripple any franchise that doesn't use it's cap, wisely.

And why is market size irrelevant?

And sure, the Supermax might hurt teams with poor payroll management, but at least they are increasingly likely to hold onto their stars, which keeps butts in the seats, and revenue flowing. Otherwise, Darwinian market structures would have eventually made this a 12-15 member league.

RsxPiimp
02-03-2018, 04:19 PM
And why is market size irrelevant?

And sure, the Supermax might hurt teams with poor payroll management, but at least they are increasingly likely to hold onto their stars, which keeps butts in the seats, and revenue flowing. Otherwise, Darwinian market structures would have eventually made this a 12-15 member league.

market size has pretty much no bearing anymore.that has been established for years.

and if the league really wants to help out these smaller franchise to stay "competitive"...at least don't let the full supermax count in their cap as an incentive. the league wants to give these teams a better chance to retain these supermax players but at a heftier cost. its counterproductive.

ambchang
02-03-2018, 06:04 PM
market size has pretty much no bearing anymore.that has been established for years.

and if the league really wants to help out these smaller franchise to stay "competitive"...at least don't let the full supermax count in their cap as an incentive. the league wants to give these teams a better chance to retain these supermax players but at a heftier cost. its counterproductive.

Wow I wouldn’t really love to know the rationale of why market size has no bearing. The Knicks would have been in financial troubles years ago instead of being one of the most valuable franchises in the lesgur if it wasn’t for the fact that it’s in NY.

RsxPiimp
02-03-2018, 06:15 PM
Wow I wouldn’t really love to know the rationale of why market size has no bearing. The Knicks would have been in financial troubles years ago instead of being one of the most valuable franchises in the lesgur if it wasn’t for the fact that it’s in NY.

except im talking about how it affects a FA decision. try to keep up.

lefty
02-03-2018, 08:59 PM
I think Gary Bettman should be the NBA commissioner tbh

ambchang
02-03-2018, 09:17 PM
except im talking about how it affects a FA decision. try to keep up.

Except you were talking about making a team competitive. Not just FA decisions. You don’t even know what you are talking about. :lol

And being financially stable has a bit to do with competitiveness.

And even if we are some how strictly talking about FA decisions, yes big markets equals more advertising dollars, usually better living standards so does attract FA.

RsxPiimp
02-03-2018, 09:58 PM
Except you were talking about making a team competitive. Not just FA decisions. You don’t even know what you are talking about. :lol.

nah, you just don't follow. stop being a dumbass for once.

And even if we are some how strictly talking about FA decisions, yes big markets equals more advertising dollars, usually better living standards so does attract FA.

proven to be false. debunked. myth....... :lmao

ambchang
02-04-2018, 02:20 PM
nah, you just don't follow. stop being a dumbass for once.

Except the following was what started this conversation ....

Cap space allowing small and mid-market to compete not only because they give them chances at signing FA on an even field with big names (mostly their own) because they can offer more than other teams, but also because it enforces a strict structure that doesn't force the smaller market teams to go bankrupt paying unending salaries to try and get FAs way above their market price.

So this is more than just about FAs, but also about competitiveness. You are just stupid to follow.

proven to be false. debunked. myth....... :lmao

How? What prove? You kept saying it was proven to be false, but didn't provide any evidence. Ball forced his sons to play in LA explicitly because the big markets can allow him to hawk his trash for the ridiculous prices he was asking. If his sons played for the real Lakers (Minny), he wouldn't be exposed to such a huge market of rich and stupid people.

So, if there is no cap, and doens't allow the small/mid tier teams to pay MORE than other teams for their own FA, there is no way they can compete because anyone of any value will bolt they will get any comparable offers in the open market, and as such small/mid market teams will have to way over pay to get those to stay, severely hampering their abilities to sign other players, or have budget for other things such as facilities, trainers, scouting as such, thus undermining their competitiveness and running them to bankruptcy.

Take your head out of your ass and try to see the big picture. We are talking calculus and you are still on your multiplication tables.