PDA

View Full Version : LaMarcus Aldridge is "on a mission" with Kawhi sidelined

bklynspursfan
02-01-2018, 11:39 AM
"There's been a lot of work, and a strong process in between myself and the team," Aldridge said.

With the team announcing its decision recently to shelve Leonard indefinitely, Aldridge's resurgence has come at the perfect time, as the Spurs will need him to carry them into the postseason.
"I just wanted to be myself again," Aldridge told ESPN. "I just wanted to be productive. I'm happier about that than anything. I'm happier about being able to play at this level again. It was never about trying to make the All-Star Game. It's about being back at that high level to help a team win."In his third year in San Antonio, Aldridge finally feels like himself again.

To be himself again, Aldridge felt he needed to play more minutes. In his first two seasons with the Spurs, he averaged only 30.6 MPG and 32.4 MPG, respectively. But the 12-year vet knew he couldn't approach Popovich with a request for more playing time without first handling business on his end.

Aldridge typically gives himself a month to "eat whatever I want" at the conclusion of each season. But he reduced that time to a week coming off the team's Western Conference finals loss to the Golden State Warriors (http://www.espn.com/nba/team/_/name/gs/golden-state-warriors) last May.

"I wanted to lock in early," he said. --- :wow

I feel like I'm playing with more confidence and I'm playing better this year, where [Leonard's return] is not going to be an issue. When he's back to 100 percent, he's going to be who he was, and I'm going to be who I am. That's going to make us better down the stretch." --- :ihit:lma:claw

More:
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22245709/lamarcus-aldridge-mission-kawhi-sidelined

Dex
02-01-2018, 11:49 AM
Really glad LaMarcus stuck around and is back to playing at a high level. Spurs would be in the tank right now if he went performing at a top-5 PF level.

TheDoctor
02-01-2018, 11:52 AM
:lma

SAGirl
02-01-2018, 11:57 AM
hmmmmmm Aldridge wanted more playing time...

something fans have mentioned here is these guys caring about their stats.

BatManu20
02-01-2018, 12:04 PM
LaGOAT

TheGreatYacht
02-01-2018, 12:14 PM
All it took was Pop not "coaching" him and letting him play his way

NASpurs
02-01-2018, 12:16 PM
"I struggle with playing low minutes, and trying to keep a rhythm. I've just never been able to do it. When I was really rolling in Portland, I was top five in minutes. So that's kind of who I've become. I think Pop understood that, and he's letting me play more minutes. I'm staying in great shape. I'm feeling good. My rhythm is better. Being out there more, this is just me."

Gee so some players under 35 don't want or get any benefits from having their minutes micromanaged? What a concept. Kind of like when they get a game for rest and come back out of rhythm.

bklynspursfan
02-01-2018, 12:42 PM
Aldridge played 3 less mpg last year w/us than he did his last season in Portland, and played 1 more game total with us. And of course the total minutes in the playoffs were his most considering that's the farthest he's gotten. And even now, he's only playing about 1.5 minutes more than last season. He has played 50/53 games, so maybe he'll sit less games overall? But really not much has changed in terms of minutes and stuff. He's probably happier because he's the featured guy at the moment. I Just hope he's true to his word and continues when Kawhi comes back. We'll need it

Proxy
02-01-2018, 01:27 PM
whatever he was unhappy about and wanted last season, he was right. Everything he's said about Kawhi is what you want to hear too

SpurPadre
02-01-2018, 01:35 PM
This is much, much better than his "my touches" :cry soundbite earlier in the season.

Arcadian
02-01-2018, 02:00 PM
This actually worked out perfectly for LA. He didn't feel like himself as a role player in 2016-17, but Kawhi being out for so long has allowed him to find himself again and reassert his star capabilities.

Hopefully he can retain that when Kawhi returns, and they'll find a synergy that allows them both to be better than they otherwise would have been.

Play Boban
02-01-2018, 08:15 PM
Missionary position, yes.