PDA

View Full Version : San Antonio we have a problem

LASToog36
02-01-2018, 10:39 PM
Offense needs some MAJOR adjustments or we may as call it a season. Murray looks way to passive, its been predictable, he needs to build his confidence. Penetrate and dish every single time. If DG is our main penetrator and scorer its a wrap.

Chinook
02-01-2018, 10:40 PM
The team could stand to add an elite perimeter scorer who doesn't suck on defense. I have no idea how they'd go about getting one of those, though.

HarlemHeat37
02-01-2018, 10:42 PM
Right now, it doesn't really matter how poorly constructed or limited the roster is, the offense will continue to struggle without the superstar of the team, it's as simple as that..

Big picture, there are too many flawed players around Kawhi, but as for the current offensive struggles, not much you can do when Kawhi is broken, there aren't any potential solutions available to them..

Play Boban
02-01-2018, 10:51 PM
:cry

bklynspursfan
02-01-2018, 10:54 PM
The team could stand to add an elite perimeter scorer who doesn't suck on defense. I have no idea how they'd go about getting one of those, though.

:rollin

SAGirl
02-01-2018, 10:56 PM
Right now, it doesn't really matter how poorly or limited the roster is, the offense will continue to struggle without the superstar of the team, it's as simple as that..

Big picture, there are too many flawed players around Kawhi, but as for the current offensive struggles, not much you can do when Kawhi is broken, there aren't any potential solutions available to them..
exactly the point. they have done as well as they possibly can considering...

Hoops Czar
02-01-2018, 11:00 PM

I'd settle for a sniff of athleticism and potential. What's Kyle Anderson worth these days?

DPG21920
02-01-2018, 11:14 PM
Give up a first for a 3 month rental/audition of Tyreke?

BatManu20
02-01-2018, 11:16 PM

Hate that idea tbh. Draft picks are valuable, especially in this upcoming draft. Unless it's a deal you can't refuse, keep the pick.

LittleCriminal
02-01-2018, 11:18 PM
https://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/ac1394dbdcca6a36cbf486633b129cd813095ac3/r=x404&c=534x401/local/-/media/USATODAY/USATODAY/2012/10/31/ap-ucla-basketball-4_3.jpg

Thomas82
02-01-2018, 11:28 PM
Right now, it doesn't really matter how poorly or limited the roster is, the offense will continue to struggle without the superstar of the team, it's as simple as that..

cd021
02-01-2018, 11:44 PM
Obviously Kawhi and Gay are out but there are nights where this team struggles to reach 90. Feels like Aldridge scoring 25 and a bunch of guys who are good for 8 points on any given night.

cd021
02-01-2018, 11:47 PM
Hate that idea tbh. Draft picks are valuable, especially in this upcoming draft. Unless it's a deal you can't refuse, keep the pick.

Agreed on keeping the pick, some interesting big prospects in the later half of the 1st round and the Spurs pick will probably be closer to 24th or 25th as opposed to 29th or 30th like it usually is.

Atl Spur
02-01-2018, 11:55 PM
Name me a current coach who could amass this record with the current players? We will be fine as long as we get healthy! I stated this summer Tyreke would be great here and many spurstalk experts laughed.........

bic50
02-02-2018, 12:41 AM
Name me a current coach who could amass this record with the current players? We will be fine as long as we get healthy! I stated this summer Tyreke would be great here and many spurstalk experts laughed.........
Larry brown is the only one that comes to mind

Arcadian
02-02-2018, 01:05 AM
:lol Do we need one of these threads for every loss?

LASToog36
02-02-2018, 01:15 AM
Your givin them "spurstalk experts" too much credit..Just guys who think theu know it all, when they probably can't even coach a grade school team :lol

spurraider21
02-02-2018, 01:20 AM
i hear kawhi is available. will have to check apa's sources

r0drig0lac
02-02-2018, 04:15 AM
Right now, it doesn't really matter how poorly constructed or limited the roster is, the offense will continue to struggle without the superstar of the team, it's as simple as that..

unfortunately it matters

Atl Spur
02-02-2018, 06:25 AM
We will be fine once we’re at full strength

daledondale
02-02-2018, 06:37 AM
We will be fine once we’re at full strengthThis. I didn't expect to win yesterday. But with Kawhi and Gay, this team can beat the Rockets in playoffs. They are stacked, but Harden is Harden in playoffs. Soon or later he will choke.

diego
02-02-2018, 08:32 AM
Pathetic and disgusting that in a salary cap league a team will struggle to the tune of 3rd place without its highest paid player

Tbh, I find it funny that so many Spurs fans find the FO to blame for this terrible season and not the guy that has missed 95% of it. Not kawhi's fault he is injured, definitely his injuries' fault the Spurs can't beat superteams

emanueldavidginobili
02-02-2018, 10:56 AM
We’re underestimating how much Gay means to this team. Besides Kawhi, LA and occasionally Manu no one on this team can create a shot for this team. This team totally different at full strength.

Phenomanul
02-02-2018, 11:36 AM
The real problem is Patty forgetting how to shoot.

Dex
02-02-2018, 11:47 AM
:lol Do we need one of these threads for every loss?

Especially a loss to the Rockets while we are not at full strength.

That would've been a tough game even with all of our guns. If anyone is really surprised that we lost, they obviously haven't been watching basketball long.

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-02-2018, 11:52 AM

That would've been a tough game even with all of our guns. If anyone is really surprised that we lost, they obviously haven't been watching basketball long.

I was surprised we only lost by 11. The Spurs are an incomplete work-in-progress right now. Pop will be in tinker mode for at least another month and a half. My hope is that Kawhi and Gay come back in a few weeks and Pop can tweak at will for the last month of the season.

TheDoctor
02-02-2018, 03:22 PM

phxspurfan
02-02-2018, 03:32 PM

Tyreke isn't worth a first, sorry. Plenty of g Leaguers probably have potential to roster over some of our guys though (joff, bp0)

phxspurfan
02-02-2018, 03:34 PM

This.

It's clear the Rockettes and Dubs are the top two teams in the league, with Boston right on their tails. We are in the second group with Cleveland (because they are injured/struggling), Minny, Detroit, Toronto, OK3

Chinook
02-02-2018, 04:15 PM
How are Earth is it clear Houston is above SA when they struggled to beat the Spurs without Kawhi? The Spurs minus their best player is in the second group of healthy teams.That's sort of insane.

Chinook
02-02-2018, 04:16 PM
I'm just amazed that the same folks who thought Kawhi carried the team last year don't think him coming back with make a noticeable improvement this year.

mo7888
02-02-2018, 04:24 PM
I'm just amazed that the same folks who thought Kawhi carried the team last year don't think him coming back with make a noticeable improvement this year.

Maybe they just aren't sure he's coming back the same player as before? Then again maybe it's just ST logic....but I digress..

I think we are fine if he comes back healthy. I have no problem with Pau or his contract, I just like him better on the court as a lone big instead of playing beside Aldridge. I hate Mills contract and I hope we can move it. Other than that, I think patience will be rewarded with this team as long as Kawhi get's healthy and wants to be here..

Dex
02-02-2018, 05:13 PM
How are Earth is it clear Houston is above SA when they struggled to beat the Spurs without Kawhi? The Spurs minus their best player is in the second group of healthy teams.That's sort of insane.

Those don't necessarily go hand-in-hand. I don't think anyone would say Houston is definitively better if Kawhi and Gay were around all season. But we'll never know, because that's not the case.

As it stands, the Spurs have no Kawhi, the Rockets have a clear talent advantage, are playing better on the offensive end, and are a full 5 games ahead with ~30 left. They are the better regular season team right now, if only by circumstance.

If it comes down to a playoff series with a healthy Kawhi, I think the Spurs can still beat them...but it's still not going to be an easy task. That series from last year was no gimme, and they've since added Chris Paul and other key pieces.

TD 21
02-02-2018, 05:26 PM

In both the regular season series and playoffs, Spurs had a lot of coin flip type things break their way in crunch time and this was before Rockets traded for a top 10 player in the league, while Spurs got worse (whatever a healthy Gay might add, they more than lost with Parker and Ginobili getting worse and Murray not being ready).

Of course a healthy Leonard would help close the gap, but not enough to make up for those 2 things.

Amuseddaysleeper
02-02-2018, 05:28 PM

Rockets were also missing Gordon and ariza.

Rockets improved a hell of a lot more than the Spurs did

Chinook
02-02-2018, 05:32 PM
In both the regular season series and playoffs, Spurs had a lot of coin flip type things break their way in crunch time and this was before Rockets traded for a top 10 player in the league, while Spurs got worse (whatever a healthy Gay might add, they more than lost with Parker and Ginobili getting worse and Murray not being ready).

Of course a healthy Leonard would help close the gap, but not enough to make up for those 2 things.

There was no coin flip to beat Houston. They lost two of their top three options. I can't think of any better set-up for the Rockets than having a home game against the Spurs missing their best player and starting a rookie PG.

Chinook
02-02-2018, 05:32 PM

I understand that "Kawhi for Ariza" is a meme around here, but they aren't actually equal.

DPG21920
02-02-2018, 05:35 PM
Tyreke isn't worth a first, sorry. Plenty of g Leaguers probably have potential to roster over some of our guys though (joff, bp0)

I’m not saying I would do it. Was throwing out a way that if the idea is to try and win this year and get a guard on how it could be accomplished.

gambit1990
02-02-2018, 05:36 PM
spurs got within striking distance without kawhi and gay but cp3 isn't playing that poorly in the POs. rockets were also without ariza and gordon.

gambit1990
02-02-2018, 05:38 PM
and don't sleep on capela. he's my favorite big man in the league.

TD 21
02-02-2018, 05:39 PM
There was no coin flip to beat Houston. They lost two of their top three options. I can't think of any better set-up for the Rockets than having a home game against the Spurs missing their best player and starting a rookie PG.

At least 2 of the regular season games were and so was game 5, which likely decided the series. Point is, game 6 was an outlier and the two teams were much closer than people of you ilk pretended after the fact.

More importantly, again, they added a top 10 player and Spurs did nothing to address their pathetic PG situation.

Chinook
02-02-2018, 05:42 PM
At least 2 of the regular season games were and so was game 5, which likely decided the series. Point is, game 6 was an outlier and the two teams were much closer than people of you ilk pretended after the fact.

More importantly, again, they added a top 10 player and Spurs did nothing to address their pathetic PG situation.

The Spurs won the "coin flip" Game Five without Kawhi and Parker just like Game Six. So if they were really 50-50, they were that without a top-five player and a rookie PG.

TD 21
02-02-2018, 05:45 PM
The Spurs won the "coin flip" Game Five without Kawhi and Parker just like Game Six. So if they were really 50-50, they were that without a top-five player and a rookie PG.

So you're saying the gap was significant enough that a top 10 player won't be enough to swing it? :lmao

Chinook
02-02-2018, 06:41 PM
So you're saying the gap was significant enough that a top 10 player won't be enough to swing it? :lmao

I'm saying that SA didn't "have" Leonard when they beat Houston. The Spurs team that beat Houston last year did so without three of their top five options from this current roster. It's funny that you keep laughing at the idea that Leonard is at least as impactful as Paul.

Hoops Czar
02-02-2018, 06:54 PM

You can say that again....

BP3 over Jonathon Simmons

Laughverne/Gay over Lee/Dedmon

Bryn Forbes getting 21 minutes of running around the court like a chicken with his head chopped off

Davis Bonner getting regular rotation minutes

Paddy continuing his downward spiral.

I said it last year that Spurs being up 25 against GS in game 1 is going to fool those FO clowns into thinking this was a contending team. And here we are...

TD 21
02-03-2018, 04:08 PM
I'm saying that SA didn't "have" Leonard when they beat Houston. The Spurs team that beat Houston last year did so without three of their top five options from this current roster. It's funny that you keep laughing at the idea that Leonard is at least as impactful as Paul.

Nice try. Spurs had Leonard in the regular season series and for nearly 5 full games out of 6 in the playoffs. The two teams were, if not virtual equals, then at least perilously close. The notion that Rockets adding a certified top 10 player wouldn't swing the balance of power in their favor, is absurd.

offset formation
02-03-2018, 04:10 PM

Most teams would kill for a chance at 50 wins, first round HCA, and top three seeding IN THE WEST, top 5 overall, WITHOUT THEIR BEST PLAYER.

Cheesus, people.

Chinook
02-03-2018, 04:33 PM
Nice try. Spurs had Leonard in the regular season series and for nearly 5 full games out of 6 in the playoffs. The two teams were, if not virtual equals, then at least perilously close. The notion that Rockets adding a certified top 10 player wouldn't swing the balance of power in their favor, is absurd.

They didn't have him for the last two wins of the series, the only absurd thing is you trying to ignore that. The two teams weren't close last year. Only chicken little fans thought that.

TD 21
02-03-2018, 06:27 PM

Yet Clippers, so decimated by injury that numerous fringe players have started, are 11th offensively and were recently 9th. Before you attribute it to Williams playing out of his mind, so is Aldridge.

I see plenty of games and box scores with banged up teams that have far less difficulty running a competent offense than this one. :wakeup

They didn't have him for the last two wins of the series, the only absurd thing is you trying to ignore that. The two teams weren't close last year. Only chicken little fans thought that.

They had him for the majority of game 5. By every objective measure, they were close . . .

Spurs won the regular season series 3-1, with 3 of the 4 games decided by 2 and the other by 6. One of those wins was from I believe 13 down with under 4 minutes left and another was the Leonard drifting 3 over Nene / chase down block sequence. The playoffs saw 2 blowouts apiece, one somewhat close Spurs win and another which was about as coin flip as it gets.

Hopefully Spurs are healthy this go round, so that if they make it to the 2nd round, when they inevitably get destroyed by Warriors or Rockets, delusional homers like yourself and more importantly the front office, can stop pretending this team is at that level anymore.

itzsoweezee
02-03-2018, 06:54 PM
The real problem is Patty forgetting how to shoot.

Yup. Bertans also seems to have had many more misses than hits this year. Bryn's been good, but mostly against lesser competition.

Hopefully, once Kawhi comes back and some of these shots get a little more open, they'll go in more often.

Phenomanul
02-07-2018, 08:16 PM
Yup. Bertans also seems to have had many more misses than hits this year. Bryn's been good, but mostly against lesser competition.

Hopefully, once Kawhi comes back and some of these shots get a little more open, they'll go in more often.

It's more than that with Mills. He looks slower and heavier.

TBH the Spurs should shut him down for like 3 weeks with no basketball related activities. Instead have him work on lowering his fat%. Patty being fatty is the reason why he isn't getting as much elevation on his shots, why he isn't the "Tasmanian devil" that we're accustomed to on the defensive end. Sure, he was never a great one on one defender, but he was way more disruptive on that side of the ball than he is currently.

After 3 weeks of no shooting whatsoever, he will revert to his muscle memory and weed out his current bad shooting form.

I know it sounds radical and unprecedented, but we can all clearly see his form is not the same.

Edit: He also needs to lay off of the hummus.