PDA

View Full Version : Spurs targeting Knicks big man hernangomez and Pistons Johnson in trade?

davi78239
02-02-2018, 04:21 PM
Saw this report earlier that they are interested in at least one or both. Anyone else see this? I know they're both really young and the dude from the Pistons plays both ends well from what I hear. And the Gomez guy is banger.

jermaine
02-02-2018, 04:23 PM
The Spurs has always like Johnson from what I've read on here for a yr or 2 now.

objective
02-02-2018, 04:32 PM
detroit is so thin on the wing, moving Johnson would be tough. Relatively cheap too, and they're going to up against the tax next year. Makes sense financially to hold onto him vs. having to pay Anderson for instance.

re: Hernangomez, anyone has to be better than Joffrey.

Chinook
02-02-2018, 04:35 PM
The only reason I could see for the Spurs to be pursuing Johnson again is because they want to trade Green or at least aren't planning on keeping Anderson/Gay and think Detroit you be interested in what Danny brings.

BG_Spurs_Fan
02-02-2018, 04:40 PM
Johnson is very strong and has always been a plus defender, but his offense and shooting are Andre Roberson bad.

Jules_Winnfield
02-02-2018, 04:44 PM
Don't look at Johnson's %.

spurs50_
02-02-2018, 04:46 PM
I like Hernagomez

Jules_Winnfield
02-02-2018, 04:48 PM
He had a "40 minutes, 0-13 FG, 0-6 from three" game earlier this season and a game of his life against Cleveland few days ago.

r0drig0lac
02-02-2018, 04:51 PM
Stanley can become a poor man Artest, it would be amazing if he could be developed in San Antonio

Atl Spur
02-02-2018, 04:52 PM
I’d take johnson; he plays tough d and has skill that can be molded.

MaNu4Tres
02-02-2018, 04:54 PM
Hernangomez is a player.

Something like Lauvergne, rights to Milutinov, Paul. Throw in a 2nd if needed.

Or if they value Patty. Patty, rights to Milutinov, 2nd for Willy, McDermott, Baker

Jules_Winnfield
02-02-2018, 05:01 PM
Denver's Hernangomez has a good size and was a 40%+ from three in his rookie season.

Knicks' Hernangomez is a great high energy backup big.

They don't play at all this season. What's wrong?

SAGirl
02-02-2018, 05:30 PM
The only reason I could see for the Spurs to be pursuing Johnson again is because they want to trade Green or at least aren't planning on keeping Anderson/Gay and think Detroit you be interested in what Danny brings.
saw rumors that b4 the blake griffin trade, Detroit was inquiring about Danny... fwiw If San Antonio had interest, it wasn't in exchange for Danny then.

DPG21920
02-02-2018, 05:54 PM
Well if SA thinks Danny will opt out and they won’t pay to keep him, trading him makes plenty of sense. Would be pretty devastating to me (not to mention seemingly detrimental to a Lebron chase?).

But he did put on a show on national tv in a timely manner for the trade deadline. I would hope for something better than Stanley damn Johnson though. If that is the case, just keep Danny and let him opt out if that’s all you can get.

sananspursfan21
02-02-2018, 05:54 PM
Ooooooooohhhhh Hernangomez. Spurs kinda player! Would be cool if true.

DPG21920
02-02-2018, 05:55 PM
Denver's Hernangomez has a good size and was a 40%+ from three in his rookie season.

Knicks' Hernangomez is a great high energy backup big.

They don't play at all this season. What's wrong?

NY is crowded with bigs: Kristaps, Kanter, O’Quinn & even Noah to a lesser degree. Just like SA has a ton of guards.

DPG21920
02-02-2018, 05:56 PM
That Pau / Willy connection makes it a good fit too as far as culture.

mo7888
02-02-2018, 05:58 PM
Well if SA thinks Danny will opt out and they won’t pay to keep him, trading him makes plenty of sense. Would be pretty devastating to me (not to mention seemingly detrimental to a Lebron chase?).

But he did put on a show on national tv in a timely manner for the trade deadline. I would hope for something better than Stanley damn Johnson though. If that is the case, just keep Danny and let him opt out if that’s all you can get.

If we trade Danyy to Detroit I'd like to get Kennard in the deal. I like the idea of replacing Joffery's minutes with Willy as well..

DPG21920
02-02-2018, 06:05 PM
What about something with Philly. We know they want shooting:

Mills/BP3 +2nd Rd Pick for Saric/Amir. PHI gets a vet for a playoff team who provides shooting at a position of need. Saric comes to a team with more of a need for a big man.

PHI can take on Mills contract no problem for a couple years since their salaries are so low with Reddick coming off the books next year and Amir/Booker gone anyways too.

TD 21
02-02-2018, 06:08 PM
76ers want to maintain their ample cap space beyond this season and even if they didn't, there's no chance they'd trade Saric for that paltry package. They've already got a lesser Mills, in Bayless, plus losing Johnson would leave only Holmes behind Embiid and he's not durable enough to be that thin at center.

:tu

SAGirl
02-02-2018, 06:09 PM

This is where I saw it: https://airalamo.com/2018/02/01/san-antonio-spurs-rumors-pistons-danny-green-trade/

basically it was the Pistons inquired about Danny Green. they also inquired about other wings in other teams b4 moving on Blake Griffin. whatever they offered sure wasn't enough.

DPG21920
02-02-2018, 06:15 PM
76ers want to maintain their ample cap space beyond this season and even if they didn't, there's no chance they'd trade Saric for that paltry package. They've already got a lesser Mills, in Bayless, plus losing Johnson would leave only Holmes behind Embiid and he's not durable enough to be that thin at center.

:tu

Bayless is not the shooter Mills is consistently, Brown has a great relationship with Mills and trusts him. They have plenty of cap space even with Embiid signing his bigger deal for several more years and Mills deal would be a blip on the radar for the next two years for them.

They want shooting, have been public about it (even with Reddick there and he could be gone next year and Mills is way cheaper) and without Fultz they need it. They have a bit of a logjam there too.

So they said they wanted more shooting but didn’t want to give up draft picks for it. Well if that is the case, taking on some money when you have ample room to do so and your core locked in is how you do it. Plus you would be GETTING picks along with a shooter/vet you trust and know well which accomplishes all goals (getting a shooter and not giving up a pick)

DPG21920
02-02-2018, 06:24 PM
I guess it all depends on how highly PHI thinks of Saric. I think he’s very talented but how talented? I don’t know. I have no real sense of how the league values him. Don’t see him really discussed a true break out player or anything but seems respected enough

TD 21
02-02-2018, 06:34 PM
Bayless is not the shooter Mills is consistently, Brown has a great relationship with Mills and trusts him. They have plenty of cap space even with Embiid signing his bigger deal for several more years and Mills deal would be a blip on the radar for the next two years for them.

They want shooting, have been public about it (even with Reddick there and he could be gone next year and Mills is way cheaper) and without Fultz they need it. They have a bit of a logjam there too.

So they said they wanted more shooting but didn’t want to give up draft picks for it. Well if that is the case, taking on some money when you have ample room to do so and your core locked in is how you do it. Plus you would be GETTING picks along with a shooter/vet you trust and know well which accomplishes all goals (getting a shooter and not giving up a pick)

That's why I said he's a lesser version. Point is, Mills upgrading him it's enough impetus to squander a core player or a copious amount of cap space.

objective
02-02-2018, 06:48 PM
Hernangomez is a player.

Or if they value Patty. Patty, rights to Milutinov, 2nd for Willy, McDermott, Baker

Joffrey, Paul, and a second I'm fine with. I wouldn't include Milutinov, I think he's better than Hernangomez by a decent margin.

DPG21920
02-02-2018, 06:51 PM
That's why I said he's a lesser version. Point is, Mills upgrading him it's enough impetus to squander a core player or a copious amount of cap space.

I just don’t see their cap space being an issue. The net difference in Mills/Saric is like 8M and they will only have like 70M on the books. It really is not a hinderance at all IMO.

But if you want a shooter and don’t want to give up picks, how do they plan on getting said shooter?

objective
02-02-2018, 06:53 PM
If Colangelo wanted Mills bad enough he would have paid him in the off-season

But if he's dumb enough to have changed his mind Spurs should take Amir and run for the hills without asking for anything else or thinking twice

ace3g
02-02-2018, 07:16 PM
If Spurs trade for Johnson it better not be for one of our SG/SFs, we need to add more depth, not replace one.

DPG21920
02-02-2018, 07:22 PM

But if he's dumb enough to have changed his mind Spurs should take Amir and run for the hills without asking for anything else or thinking twice

Lot’s of things change. SA locked Mills up quickly. PHI paid Reddick a large one year deal to get him to come and SA paid Mills more money over a longer period. Besides that, they traded up for Fultz because he was supposed to be a shooter that fit next to Simmons and he’s very clearly not a shooter (and had injuries too).

I mean there is a reason PHI is said to have wanted another shooter. Fultz didn’t pan out and his shot is completely broken. PHI only havs 5 players shooting over 35% from 3 (Spurs have 6 for context and would be 7 if Kawhi was healthy). Reddick’s deal will be over next year and who knows if he comes back or how much he will cost.

Mills is cheaper, fixed cost and knows the coach well.

cd021
02-02-2018, 07:23 PM
Hernangomez is a player.

Don't see either trade getting the Knicks to say yes. I would still hope that they consider a Forbes plus second for Willie. Joff is going to opt in next season which isn't good considering how bad he is and Millitinov probably has 0 trade value at the moment

cd021
02-02-2018, 07:33 PM
Joffrey, Paul, and a second I'm fine with. I wouldn't include Milutinov, I think he's better than Hernangomez by a decent margin.

Forbes is averaging 8ppg while hitting almost 41% on 3s, he is a better trade offer than Paul and Joff plus the 55th pick don't know if Millitinov moves the needle in a trade and while he could turn out to be better, Willie was good in the NBA last season.

objective
02-02-2018, 07:35 PM
Lot’s of things change. SA locked Mills up quickly. PHI paid Reddick a large one year deal to get him to come and SA paid Mills more money over a longer period. Besides that, they traded up for Fultz because he was supposed to be a shooter that fit next to Simmons and he’s very clearly not a shooter (and had injuries too).

I mean there is a reason PHI is said to have wanted another shooter. Fultz didn’t pan out and his shot is completely broken. PHI only havs 5 players shooting over 35% from 3 (Spurs have 6 for context and would be 7 if Kawhi was healthy). Reddick’s deal will be over next year and who knows if he comes back or how much he will cost.

Mills is cheaper, fixed cost and knows the coach well.

On paper, Philly could talk themselves into Mills.

On paper, he makes a lot of sense.

Shooter, doesn't need to handle the ball ( because he's not s playmaker), but that's good for a team with a lot of guys who like to have the ball in their hands.

And he's a vet who has no problems coming off the bench, no delusions of grandeur. He won't self sabotage and pout to try and force his way into starting. Great team and locker room guy, cheers for his mates.

Great relationship with their coach already. Knows how to fill a role on a team.

And so what if he's the highest paid backup point guard, they won't be on series cap restriction until Simmons extension comes up, and by then Mills' deal will be over.

That's on paper.

In real life he's been an underperforming shooter, especially past the first round of the playoffs. His defense has fallen apart and will only get worse as he ages and slowed down. Weight issues could hasten his slowdown.

And the Spurs have no leverage. He's not a luxury on that deal, he's an anchor weighing them down. Soaking up a lot of what little cap they have that's not allocated to Kawhi-LMA-Pau. If he was in a minimum deal I don't think Pop would be staining to find lineups for him when Parker has been better as a backup point.

If Philly only reads things on paper, I'm hopeful.

lmbebo
02-02-2018, 07:37 PM
https://sports.yahoo.com/one-player-every-nba-team-likely-traded-221004964.html

List Johnson as a player that could be made available. Doesn't fit the needs of the team. Just in support of what some others have written above. Would be intriguing to see what he could become on the Spurs. Team needs to get talent however they can. Wasn't help a lotto pick or mid round 1st round pick a few years ago?

cd021
02-02-2018, 07:40 PM

I would ask for the 37th pick or picks 42 and 47 (according to NBA Draft Net, they have 3 seconds as well as a first) to see what they would say.

DPG21920
02-02-2018, 07:41 PM

Shooter, doesn't need to handle the ball ( because he's not s playmaker), but that's good for a team with a lot of guys who like to have the ball in their hands.

And he's a vet who has no problems coming off the bench, no delusions of grandeur. He won't self sabotage and pout to try and force his way into starting. Great team and locker room guy, cheers for his mates.

Great relationship with their coach already. Knows how to fill a role on a team.

And so what if he's the highest paid backup point guard, they won't be on series cap restriction until Simmons extension comes up, and by then Mills' deal will be over.

That's on paper.

In real life he's been an underperforming shooter, especially past the first round of the playoffs. His defense has fallen apart and will only get worse as he ages and slowed down. Weight issues could hasten his slowdown.

And the Spurs have no leverage. He's not a luxury on that deal, he's an anchor weighing them down. Soaking up a lot of what little cap they have that's not allocated to Kawhi-LMA-Pau. If he was in a minimum deal I don't think Pop would be staining to find lineups for him when Parker has been better as a backup point.

I don’t disagree from the Spurs side, but Mills isnt a bad player. He’s grading out well enough offensively and everyone knows that’s who he is. The issue with SA is they have a logjam that was unexpected when he signed (TP was injured and who knew how/if he would return, Manu was on brink of possible retirement, Murray/Forbes questionmarks).

From PHI perspective and not just on paper, if they both 1. Want more shooting & 2. Don’t want to give up picks to obtain that shooting the alternative is to take on some salary.

So for PHI, if that is really your goal there aren’t many better options for them than Mills. Will it happen? I don’t know but I can see many reasons for that to happen if what we’ve heard (PHI wanting a shooter and not wanting to give up picks) is true.

sasaint
02-02-2018, 08:39 PM

That's on paper.

I am pretty sure Pop reads the same paper.

CGD
02-02-2018, 09:04 PM
I don’t know if Johnson is good, but spurs have been linked to him for some time. White and Joff should get it done.

Play Boban
02-02-2018, 09:07 PM
Hernangomez could be a star here tbh.

sasaint
02-02-2018, 09:08 PM
I don’t know if Johnson is good, but spurs have been linked to him for some time. White and Joff should get it done.

I definitely would not part with White to acquire Johnson.

sasaint
02-02-2018, 09:09 PM
Hernangomez could be a star here tbh.

I have been liking both Hernangomez boys. But just say "No" to Stanley.

r0drig0lac
02-02-2018, 09:22 PM
Saric is Philly's third best player, delirious even thinking they would trade a guy with that potential for someone in SA sans Kawhi

CGD
02-02-2018, 09:40 PM
I definitely would not part with White to acquire Johnson.

Yeah, I don’t know much about Johnson just know the spurs have had the interest. I do like the hernangomez boys.

Do you do Pau for Noah + Hernangomez + nyc 2018 1st (currently around 12)?

BatManu20
02-02-2018, 09:42 PM
Are there any other sources outside of this random Sportando one?

DPG21920
02-02-2018, 09:51 PM
Saric is Philly's third best player, delirious even thinking they would trade a guy with that potential for someone in SA sans Kawhi

Say what? He’s like 7th in PER on the team, 6th in offensive rating, near the bottom half of active guys playing in defensive rating, I think 5th or 6th in win-shares & 5th or 6th in BPM.

Im not saying he’s bad at all, he’s done solid, but he’s not their third best player by any stretch.

cd021
02-02-2018, 10:05 PM
Yeah, I don’t know much about Johnson just know the spurs have had the interest. I do like the hernangomez boys.

I am all for acquiring the 12th pick but moving Gasol (who has been the second best Spur this season) for it and Hernangomez plus Noah seems a bit much. If Gasol was having worse season and the Spurs had big man depth like they did last season then I would consider it but no.

cd021
02-02-2018, 10:09 PM
Are there any other sources outside of this random Sportando one?

The Athletic mentioned that both the Mavs an Spurs where going after Willy.

In theory, I could see a Noel for Willy swap but I hope the Spurs make a move for him.

sasaint
02-02-2018, 11:04 PM

I honestly don't know. Noah's contract is so terrible, he has had a couple of major injuries and it it has been a good while since he has even played very much. I know Pau is inconsistent at best and unplayable at worst, but how bad is Noah these days? But maybe Hernangomez could be a sufficient replacement this season and we could pick a guy in the draft that is considerably better than the players we usually have to choose from. I think somebody posted that Noah was a cancer, which would kill the deal. But however long Tony is around (!), I bet Noah would be decent enough in the locker room. I guess you look at it like you are replacing Pau's bad contract with Noah's bad (worse?) deal, but replacing Pau, the player, with Hernangomez, which would be a short-term drop-off, but better in the long run PLUS you end up with a very high pick (by Spurs standards). Would Noah's contract (if not moved again) hinder re-signing Hernangomez when his deal is up in two years? If Noah is not dealt again, his deal will have the same restrictive effect on signing FAs. That has a bearing, too. I guess maybe I would do it, although I would rather move Patty before Pau.

cd021
02-02-2018, 11:28 PM

That's on paper.

Mostly good points save for the bolded:

This Mills is an under performing shooter is odd. His 3pt and 2pt shooting numbers are pretty similar to last season and down slightly from his Spurs career shooting numbers. He's taking 4.7 3's (career high) and hitting 38% which is certainly solid, especially without Leonard there to set him up.

Also the "especially past the 1st round" line discounts what he did to Miami in the Finals 13-23 from 3 in limited bench minutes. Defenses tend to get tougher and clamp down on shooters in later rounds, so a great shooter dropping from, say 40% to 34-5% certainly isn't unheard of.

I think you're being a little dramatic on the he's an anchor line. His contract is a clear overpay. Murray taking the starting spot makes Mills expendable, but that is how useful players tend to come available. Someone emerges as an alternative and then they become expendable. Spurs will operate above the cap in the off season and probably resign Gay, Green, Anderson, Parker, use their draft pick and bring in a vet big. Gasol's contract is only partially guaranteed for the season after that and he may retire meaning he'll get stretched and waived (2.3 million for three seasons starting in '19-20)

There's the very small but who knows option of Lebron meeting and agreeing to join the Spurs in which Mills and Gasol would make up the basis of a S&T package to Cleveland.

Overall, the idea of a Mills for Amir Johnson deal is interesting and probably pretty plausible. If a deal were to happen/ then I would hope for some sweetener such as the Knicks second rounder (currently the 42nd pick)

TheGreatYacht
02-02-2018, 11:44 PM
Pathetic if true. We need efficient scorers. Defense ain't the problem.

Reggie Bullock is exactly what we need. Since he's started for them in Dec 12, he's shooting 54.5% from the field and 49.5% from three

cd021
02-02-2018, 11:50 PM
I honestly don't know. Noah's contract is so terrible, he has had a couple of major injuries and it it has been a good while since he has even played very much. I know Pau is inconsistent at best and unplayable at worst, but how bad is Noah these days? But maybe Hernangomez could be a sufficient replacement this season and we could pick a guy in the draft that is considerably better than the players we usually have to choose from. I think somebody posted that Noah was a cancer, which would kill the deal. But however long Tony is around (!), I bet Noah would be decent enough in the locker room. I guess you look at it like you are replacing Pau's bad contract with Noah's bad (worse?) deal, but replacing Pau, the player, with Hernangomez, which would be a short-term drop-off, but better in the long run PLUS you end up with a very high pick (by Spurs standards). Would Noah's contract (if not moved again) hinder re-signing Hernangomez when his deal is up in two years? If Noah is not dealt again, his deal will have the same restrictive effect on signing FAs. That has a bearing, too. I guess maybe I would do it, although I would rather move Patty before Pau.

I mentioned above that it's a bad move but to play devils advocate;

Willy's deal expires the same off season that Noah's would and the Spurs would have his bird rights to resign him but he wouldn't be an RFA (one of those 4 year, fully guaranteed, second round pick deals ) Noah would be a huge expiring contract during the 19-20 season (something like $19 million) that would allow the Spurs to add better players on longer term deals that teams are looking to off load to save open up cap space.

The Spurs could probably easily package the 12th and 25 pick's and get into the top ten.

Spurs would still pay Noah but could keep him away from the team, the Knicks have mastered this strategy (Marbury, Eddie Curry).

Gasol has probably been the second best Spur this season, he's improved defensively and has developed into a reliable 3 point shooter on top of being an excellent passer and can attack mismatches in the post. Its hard to Devils Advocate him getting dumped on the Knicks and it not having a really bad affect on the Spurs. I really like Willy's potential on the Spurs, on top of his age (23 and a 1/2) and having two super cheap seasons after this one left after this one.

If the Spurs could get Willy (not apart of that hypothetical deal) without giving up any of our young players with upside (Bertans, White, Anderson, Murray, or a 1st - the last three would never be apart of a deal for him) then its a steal in my opinion.

SpurPadre
02-02-2018, 11:55 PM
Weird fucking last name...it should be either Hernan-Gomez or Hernan as middle name and just Gomez as the last name but instead, it's just sandwiched together. You could google search Hernangomez and this dude is the only person in the world with that last name.

objective
02-03-2018, 12:04 AM
Mostly good points save for the bolded:

This Mills is an under performing shooter is odd. His 3pt and 2pt shooting numbers are pretty similar to last season and down slightly from his Spurs career shooting numbers. He's taking 4.7 3's (career high) and hitting 38% which is certainly solid, especially without Leonard there to set him up.

Also the "especially past the 1st round" line discounts what he did to Miami in the Finals 13-23 from 3 in limited bench minutes. Defenses tend to get tougher and clamp down on shooters in later rounds, so a great shooter dropping from, say 40% to 34-5% certainly isn't unheard of.

I think you're being a little dramatic on the he's an anchor line. His contract is a clear overpay. Murray taking the starting spot makes Mills expendable, but that is how useful players tend to come available. Someone emerges as an alternative and then they become expendable. Spurs will operate above the cap in the off season and probably resign Gay, Green, Anderson, Parker, use their draft pick and bring in a vet big. Gasol's contract is only partially guaranteed for the season after that and he may retire meaning he'll get stretched and waived (2.3 million for three seasons starting in '19-20)

There's the very small but who knows option of Lebron meeting and agreeing to join the Spurs in which Mills and Gasol would make up the basis of a S&T package to Cleveland.

Overall, the idea of a Mills for Amir Johnson deal is interesting and probably pretty plausible. If a deal were to happen/ then I would hope for some sweetener such as the Knicks second rounder (currently the 42nd pick)

Miami was 3 full seasons, a shoulder surgery, and what looks like 20 pounds ago.

The last two years, 2nd and 3rd rounds, he's near what, 22% from three? I haven't done the math for awhile, but that rings a bell.

NASpurs
02-03-2018, 12:08 AM
Pathetic if true. We need efficient scorers. Defense ain't the problem.

Reggie Bullock is exactly what we need. Since he's started for them in Dec 12, he's shooting 54.5% from the field and 49.5% from three

Those numbers would drop to 40% from the field and 35% from three if he was traded to the Spurs. RIP Beautiful Game.

Hoops Czar
02-03-2018, 12:10 AM
What't the point? Neither of those players are game changers. It's like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titantic. It's not going to change the outcome. They're simply not competitive enough to win a championship.

NASpurs
02-03-2018, 12:10 AM
Weird fucking last name...it should be either Hernan-Gomez or Hernan as middle name and just Gomez as the last name but instead, it's just sandwiched together. You could google search Hernangomez and this dude is the only person in the world with that last name.

Impossible since he has a brother playing in the NBA :lol

SpurPadre
02-03-2018, 12:12 AM
ok, then only two people in the entire world with that last name. It's gotta be a weird stage name, tbh.

sasaint
02-03-2018, 12:23 AM
I mentioned above that it's a bad move but to play devils advocate;

Willy's deal expires the same off season that Noah's would and the Spurs would have his bird rights to resign him but he wouldn't be an RFA (one of those 4 year, fully guaranteed, second round pick deals ) Noah would be a huge expiring contract during the 19-20 season (something like $19 million) that would allow the Spurs to add better players on longer term deals that teams are looking to off load to save open up cap space.

The Spurs could probably easily package the 12th and 25 pick's and get into the top ten.

Spurs would still pay Noah but could keep him away from the team, the Knicks have mastered this strategy (Marbury, Eddie Curry).

Gasol has probably been the second best Spur this season, he's improved defensively and has developed into a reliable 3 point shooter on top of being an excellent passer and can attack mismatches in the post. Its hard to Devils Advocate him getting dumped on the Knicks and it not having a really bad affect on the Spurs. I really like Willy's potential on the Spurs, on top of his age (23 and a 1/2) and having two super cheap seasons after this one left after this one.

If the Spurs could get Willy (not apart of that hypothetical deal) without giving up any of our young players with upside (Bertans, White, Anderson, Murray, or a 1st - the last three would never be apart of a deal for him) then its a steal in my opinion.

I thought the trade machine indicates Willy's contract expired in 2 years and Noah's in four. So I was surprised by that part of your comment, but you are right: they are both slated to become UFAs in 2019-20. So that is a real positive.

sasaint
02-03-2018, 12:26 AM
ok, then only two people in the entire world with that last name. It's gotta be a weird stage name, tbh.

They may have parents...

marinoman
02-03-2018, 12:42 AM
What't the point? Neither of those players are game changers. It's like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titantic. It's not going to change the outcome. They're simply not competitive enough to win a championship.
Seriously, people get excited over any possible tradetalks for the spurs. Paus contract and bad guard play were this teams main issues going into the last years offseason and its shown all year.
these jobbers won’t fix anything

SpurPadre
02-03-2018, 12:43 AM
They may have parents...

stage name, tbh. Kinda like Nicholas Cage's parents have Coppola as their last name, tbh.

sasaint
02-03-2018, 12:46 AM
stage name, tbh. Kinda like Nicholas Cage's parents have Coppola as their last name, tbh.

You serious? Stage name for basketball?

SpurPadre
02-03-2018, 12:52 AM
You serious? Stage name for basketball?

I know, dude is a weird motherfucker. I don't want him, tbh.

sasaint
02-03-2018, 12:54 AM
I know, dude is a weird motherfucker. I don't want him, tbh.

I like what I have seen of him on the court. What makes him so weird-other than his stage name?

SpurPadre
02-03-2018, 02:39 AM
I like what I have seen of him on the court. What makes him so weird-other than his stage name?

Just kidding. He definitely would be an upgrade over Joffrey. I'm more intrigued with Stanley Johnson, though.

Ice009
02-03-2018, 03:41 AM
Miami was 3 full seasons, a shoulder surgery, and what looks like 20 pounds ago.

The last two years, 2nd and 3rd rounds, he's near what, 22% from three? I haven't done the math for awhile, but that rings a bell.

He also couldn't hit a shot to save his life in the series before the finals against one of our biggest rivals in OKC. He was NOT that valuable during the 2014 playoffs at all.

I give him huge props for game 6 of the OKC series, but the rest of his playoffs apart from those 3 games against Miami weren't that good at all.

objective
02-03-2018, 06:17 AM
He's not guarding anyone either.

Cameron Payne and Andrew Harrison looked like NBA players against him. Austin Rivers saved his career styling on the Spurs.

MaNu4Tres
02-03-2018, 09:20 AM
He's not guarding anyone either.

Cameron Payne and Andrew Harrison looked like NBA players against him. Austin Rivers saved his career styling on the Spurs.

He's this generations Steve Kerr, yet gets paid 52 mil over 4 AFTER Spurs draft two guards in the 1st round in back to back seasons.

TheDoctor
02-03-2018, 10:49 AM
Add Ethnography to the wide range of specializations mastered in SpursTalk.

TD 21
02-03-2018, 04:17 PM
I just don’t see their cap space being an issue. The net difference in Mills/Saric is like 8M and they will only have like 70M on the books. It really is not a hinderance at all IMO.

But if you want a shooter and don’t want to give up picks, how do they plan on getting said shooter?

Maybe not, but like I said, they're not trading a core player for a better version of a type they already have. There's plenty of shooters available for 2nd round picks, that are on expiring contracts (Babbitt, Belinelli, Ilyasova, Harris and to a lesser extent Ennis, Carter).

Also keep in mind, a McConnell / Mills backup backcourt makes about as much sense as a Parker / Mills ones does and if / when Fultz returns this season, they'll have to have at least a clear path to a rotation spot available to avoid controversy and destroying his confidence.

Chinook
02-03-2018, 07:29 PM
Saric is probably not untouchable, but he's a non-starter in any Mills trade from Philly's perspective. Dude is playing well for them, and they are determined to play Simmons as a guard. I doubt the team would get a better offer than Bayless and a second. That would be a lucky offer, and one I don't think they'd even extend until later in July when/if they miss out on cap space while letting Redick walk. Patty is a good fit for them, but he's probably still neutral or negative value unless he really tears it up this season.

pad300
02-03-2018, 08:42 PM
If I was trading Mills to Philly, I would be looking for Amir Johnson.

Ice009
02-03-2018, 08:50 PM
If I was trading Mills to Philly, I would be looking for Amir Johnson.

Yeah, I'd be going for Amir Johnson too.

CGD
02-03-2018, 08:55 PM
I’d do Mills to Milwaukee for Delladodova and DJ Wilson. Della has fewer years and Mills would be an upgrade for a team that’s been interested in the past. We get a look at DJ, whose an intriguing prospect.

If they still want Hernangomez after netting Wilson, then you’d have to think the only thing at the price point that the Knicks might be interested in is NY native, Kyle Anderson. Not sure that moves the needle for the spurs.

Diego20
02-03-2018, 09:22 PM
Hernangomez sucks :lol

next