PDA

View Full Version : Manu: “I don’t remember being in anything like this in 16 years... We're terrible."

BatManu20
02-04-2018, 12:22 AM
Damn. Truth bombs from Manu. :depressed

Chinook
02-04-2018, 12:24 AM
I would look into acquiring Richard Jefferson from Denver just so I could trade him away again.

BatManu20
02-04-2018, 12:25 AM
I would look into acquiring Richard Jefferson from Denver just so I could trade him away again.

:lol

cd98
02-04-2018, 12:27 AM

Patty Mills is our new Jefferson.

BatManu20
02-04-2018, 12:27 AM

HarlemHeat37
02-04-2018, 12:29 AM
Not only that, but they're soooo boring to watch, tbh..most unwatchable Spurs team since the early 2000s..

Miss watching penetration/motion/ball movement:(
j2uQgm6euCw

tholdren
02-04-2018, 12:29 AM
When you stop playing skill basketball and go ghetto, this is what you get. One dimensional aau media hyped shit

cd98
02-04-2018, 12:33 AM
Yes but why are you complaining. We have the most woke players in the NBA. They watch documentaries on the Voting Act instead of game film. There is more to life than basketball even though the players are millionaires and hard working people are paying hard earned cash to watch this abomination.

HarlemHeat37
02-04-2018, 12:34 AM
Yes but why are you complaining. We have the most woke players in the NBA. They watch documentaries on the Voting Act instead of game film. There is more to life than basketball even though the players are millionaires and hard working people are paying hard earned cash to watch this abomination.

:lol I did find it funny how Sean kept mentioning that Snyder knew everything Pop was going to run and always had an answer..

BatManu20
02-04-2018, 12:35 AM

Lol

tholdren
02-04-2018, 12:37 AM
When you stop playing skill basketball and go ghetto, this is what you get. One dimensional aau media hyped shit

Spurtacular
02-04-2018, 12:41 AM
Not only that, but they're soooo boring to watch, tbh..most unwatchable Spurs team since the early 2000s..

j2uQgm6euCw

Much better talent, then. And it helps that TP wasn't a rec league player yet.

UZER
02-04-2018, 12:57 AM

This is what happens when you spend so much on old players.

Keepin' it real
02-04-2018, 01:01 AM
Feels like a good time for some nostalgia. Some trophy love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjpvXynyVHU

SAGirl
02-04-2018, 01:23 AM
the fact they aren't unbeaten at home when scoring 100 pts indicates their defense has slipped big time and that is what sustained them for a long part of the season.

Russo21
02-04-2018, 01:24 AM
Should have retired Manu. This team doesn't deserve you anymore.

Russo21
02-04-2018, 01:36 AM
Bet Manu is missing Timmy on this team. Took a while before they imploded but it's happening.

spurs10
02-04-2018, 01:41 AM
The voice of reason. “Terrible” is about right. Can’t see us staying at 3rd playing this “terrible.”

TMTTRIO
02-04-2018, 01:42 AM
I bet Manu wishes he retired already

DeRozan m8
02-04-2018, 01:49 AM
Bet Manu is missing Timmy on this team. Took a while before they imploded but it's happening.

Timmy has absolutely nothing to do with it, quit living in the past.

It's a garbage list and our best player basically hasn't played

palangi
02-04-2018, 01:54 AM

j2uQgm6euCw

Well we've placated to Aldridge. Becoming a stagnant offense so he can succeed in it. We also don't have any penetraters anymore.
I've said multiple times this is s poorly constructed team. PATFO should be embarrassed

palangi
02-04-2018, 01:55 AM
:lol I did find it funny how Sean kept mentioning that Snyder knew everything Pop was going to run and always had an answer..

Because Snyder is a hungry coach.

Pop is living off his laurels.

Chris
02-04-2018, 01:59 AM
Time to trade this team cancer. Parker is ready to fill those minutes and lead us to a 6th championship without these kinds of off court distractions.

nyspurguy
02-04-2018, 02:03 AM
I'm sure L.A.'s happy. When we won 67 and 61 games he wasn't happy cause he wasn't getting his. Well he's getting his now. So what if the Spurs lost to the Jazz at home, L.A. had 31. I think that's what he really cares about.

Amuseddaysleeper
02-04-2018, 02:12 AM
Chris Paul dodged a bullet

SAGirl
02-04-2018, 02:14 AM
I'm sure L.A.'s happy. When we won 67 and 61 games he wasn't happy cause he wasn't getting his. Well he's getting his now. So what if the Spurs lost to the Jazz at home, L.A. had 31. I think that's what he really cares about.
heh...
the wild speculations keep coming out of nowhere... it's getting ugly.

cd021
02-04-2018, 02:24 AM

Go back and look at LMA's splits from January, February, March and April of his first season, he was a more efficient version of the Portland Aldridge after figuring out how to fit in.

HI-FI
02-04-2018, 02:27 AM
This. I could care less about our record, as long as Pop enlightens us plebs on his wine and politics, I’m fine tbh.

tbdog
02-04-2018, 02:51 AM
28 mil we are spending on pgs, and neither start over a 28th pick sophomore? Three bigs under contract and only two plays. Plus two sg who can't see the court. Just a waste.

SAGirl
02-04-2018, 02:55 AM
28 mil we are spending on pgs, and neither start over a 28th pick sophomore? Three bigs under contract and only two plays. Plus two sg who can't see the court. Just a waste.
agreed... just a horribly constructed team.
a lot on PG and none is starter quality. He's developing Dejounte but he's not a starer for a contender if he wants to win a title. I am fine with developing, been advocating for a while, but if you are going to develop, do not pay backups 30 million or reup Patty right?

3 bigs but he plays only 2, one of them starts in name only and has not been very good as of late.

He still has to play the guys who got paid bc otherwise they will get completely devalued.

When I said the team is stuck between a rock and a hard place what I mean is that they really need to develop some youngsters, if they aren't good enough take a losing season and get a high pick or something. They clearly need talent and have been unable to acquire it in FA, and standing pat while paying premium for old players isn't it anymore. That took them far for many years but no more.

Chomag
02-04-2018, 03:22 AM
But that culture though! Pop focusing more on his next rant on Trump then basketball sure isn't helping either.

Atl Spur
02-04-2018, 03:49 AM
Please sticky this thread; some of you are so predictable.

SAGirl
02-04-2018, 03:59 AM
Manu had 4 fouls and the referees didn't even include this very clear one that he gives to Ingles for a 4 pt play.

r0drig0lac
02-04-2018, 04:16 AM
only a few in spurstalk think differently, the rest of the world agrees with Manu

r0drig0lac
02-04-2018, 04:19 AM
the fact they aren't unbeaten at home when scoring 100 pts indicates their defense has slipped big time and that is what sustained them for a long part of the season.

there was no defensive fall, schedule became more difficult, normal

Hoops Czar
02-04-2018, 04:19 AM
Ginobili doesn't remember 2010?

Snaq O'Meal
02-04-2018, 04:30 AM

Coaches have long figured Poop out. Billy Donovan in his rookie coaching year was even calling out Poop’s plays before the plays were ran.

SAGirl
02-04-2018, 04:46 AM
True but that is an ultra oversimplifaction.
I have no desire or stamina to debate and pore stats or whatever but Rudy was better defensively than Davis and he's a lot better than Bryn Forbes. and for the season a big part of Rudy's minutes were taken up by Bryn. Remember Davis wasn't even playing much until he had a few games where he got absolutely on fire. Previous to that his appearances were sketchy and short.

The arrival of Tony (versus his 19 games he was injured plus his injury restrictions and then his ankle injury).. but since Tony has been playing, it started a trend of ultra small lineups with 3 or sometimes 4 guards. 3 of those guards are under 6'2". The team wasn't playing like this when Rudy was healthy and they really didn't start this for real until January when unsurprisingly they went on a losing streak worst than anything encountered the 3 months prior.

The team has seen a decline defensively recently for sure and they miss Rudy offensively too.

(I am not even arguing Kiwi... let's just assume he's been missing the entire season... the team lost half of the games he played in, he wasn't even playing over 15 minutes in some of those games, so I am glossing over his absence.. but Rudy is missed)

SAGirl
02-04-2018, 04:48 AM
Coaches have long figured Poop out. Billy Donovan in his rookie coaching year was even calling out Poop’s plays before the plays were ran.
Danny said the same happened with other coaches.. think it was Brett Brown...

Fireball
02-04-2018, 04:51 AM
Spurs basketball this season is like watching a bad slapstick movie ...

DeRozan m8
02-04-2018, 05:38 AM
Please sticky this thread; some of you are so predictable.

Sticky for when?

We get knocked out of the first or second round?

Why?

BD24
02-04-2018, 07:05 AM
The season has been a struggle for sure, but if Kawhi and Gay are healthy we are having a totally different conversation. All we can hope for as spurs fans is thy Kawhi gets healthy and then we can really see what we have. If gay is healthy as well that’s just gravy tbh

MoSpur02
02-04-2018, 07:24 AM
The team is missing their best player. What do you expect? He makes things easier for everyone on the floor when he’s playing. Unfortunately I doubt he will play in a Spurs uniform again.

r0drig0lac
02-04-2018, 07:32 AM
The season has been a struggle for sure, but if Kawhi and Gay are healthy we are having a totally different conversation. All we can hope for as spurs fans is thy Kawhi gets healthy and then we can really see what we have. If gay is healthy as well that’s just gravy tbh

as long as you're correct, this roster clearly is not built around your best player (and neither will I mention which poorly built he is), an roster built around his best player is the rockets before Chris Paul for example

ElNono
02-04-2018, 07:48 AM
At least LMA is an All Star, tbh

Raven
02-04-2018, 07:48 AM
we'll see after the all star break. The potential is top notch, but gotta get guys back.

nyspurguy
02-04-2018, 08:29 AM
A bunch of role players... Plug in a star (Kawhi) n u have the 2nd best team in the west, if not the league. Remove him and you have the third best team in the west. A bunch of role players.
Without Kawhi I'm not sure this team could beat the top 6 teams in a western conference series. With the Klaw the Spurs are a MACHINE capable of knocking off every team in their way. We saw as much last year. All you can ask for is a 7 game series with the Warriors. With a healthy Kawhi, I would have really liked our chances of getting them Bay Boys. Six games to win 3, cause game 1 was a W for the Good Guys.
I just really want to see Kawhi playing

spursistan
02-04-2018, 08:34 AM
Manu has always been frank. He knows this performance was a red flag by all accounts: Jazz destroyed them in the 1s game early in the season; they are on B2B; missing a one of their best players (Mitchell); and SA are coming off home loss, but yet they followed it up with another desultory performance vs a non-playoff team....

This not just about a lack talent at this point..A dark cloud is hovering over them and it defenitely touches up a strain in player (s)-coach, player-player relationships..

nyspurguy
02-04-2018, 08:42 AM
Manu has always been frank. He knows this performance was a red flag by all accounts: Jazz destroyed them in the 1s game early in the season; they are on B2B; missing a one of their best players (Mitchell); and SA are coming off home loss, but yet they followed it up with another desultory performance vs a non-playoff team....

This not just about a lack talent at this point..A dark cloud is hovering over them and it defenitely touches up a strain in player (s)-coach, player-player relationships..

I think it's Aldridge..I'm not sure he's over himself yet.
Maybe I'll go vent in the "Aldridge is not winning basketball" threads...

nyspurguy
02-04-2018, 08:47 AM
Can Jamal Crawford please show/teach Dejounte Murray how to get Buckets

nyspurguy
02-04-2018, 08:50 AM
I wish Murray was one of those special young players who could get you 20-10-8

hater
02-04-2018, 09:49 AM
Manure should look in the mirror to find on of th biggest reasons we are shit

sasaint
02-04-2018, 09:51 AM

The defense fell last night.

Ice009
02-04-2018, 09:58 AM
The team is missing their best player. What do you expect? He makes things easier for everyone on the floor when he’s playing. Unfortunately I doubt he will play in a Spurs uniform again.

Why did your thread get deleted????????? It seems you are a troll.

sasaint
02-04-2018, 10:08 AM

j2uQgm6euCw

I can root for a mediocre team if I see them play with energy and enthusiasm and there are a couple of talented young players who provide hope for the team's future improvement. But most of the core of this team is too old to be a part of the future, or young players who seem like they are bound for China. The "all-star" who has "carried" the team this season may not fall into one of those categories does not excite me. Meanwhile the real star isn't even playing. The Lost Season is the most difficult to watch in 20 years for me.

tholdren
02-04-2018, 10:17 AM
I dont think its the plays

sasaint
02-04-2018, 10:30 AM

That's what PATFO will say when they bring most of the roster back next season. However, I infer from Manu's comment that it is unlikely he will return.

weeks
02-04-2018, 10:34 AM
Nah everyone knows everyone's plays at this point. Pop just gets schooled by his proteges on the regular

Atl Spur
02-04-2018, 10:35 AM
I dont think its the plays

I agree. We may have to trade DJ while others see promise. He’s not a real point guard and his instincts are horrible. Danny , Forbes , Pau, Tony can go right now too!!!

dbreiden83080
02-04-2018, 10:39 AM
Yeah well you played most of your prime with a top 10 player of all time..

dbreiden83080
02-04-2018, 10:47 AM
Timmy has absolutely nothing to do with it, quit living in the past.

It's a garbage list and our best player basically hasn't played

Yeah thanks to a leg injury where nobody can figure out why he is not playing? He does not need surgery, he came into camp injured for some reason and after 8 months of rehab still can't play. KL needs to get his ass out here and soon. Suck it up..

Clipper Nation
02-04-2018, 10:48 AM
Jamal only knows how to get bricks.

Ice009
02-04-2018, 10:49 AM

Top 5 player of all-time IMO.

spursistan
02-04-2018, 10:50 AM

Selling Timmy short right there..He is the GOAT franchise player, IMO. The single one player to draft/have on your roster if you want the least challenging path to a title and 15 years plus of perennial contention ..Basketball utopia is over and done with for this organization with him gone.

DMC
02-04-2018, 01:05 PM
Shocking news: Tim Duncan retires, Kawhi is hurt, Manu is 40 and Tony is coming off the bench. You have LaMarcus Aldridge as your focal point with Danny "green light" Green a 2nd year player starting at PG and Patty Mills chucking 3's all game. You have a sub-prime Pau Gasol having on again/off again games and the rest is just filler material from random foreign squads.

You're in 3rd place in the West

You're jumping off cliffs.

SupremeGuy
02-04-2018, 02:08 PM
Yes but why are you complaining. We have the most woke players in the NBA. They watch documentaries on the Voting Act instead of game film. There is more to life than basketball even though the players are millionaires and hard working people are paying hard earned cash to watch this abomination.Pop has checked out. Wouldn't rather play political science professor than basketball coach. Stupid commie faggot.

Atl Spur
02-04-2018, 02:17 PM
Pop has checked out. Wouldn't rather play political science professor than basketball coach. Stupid commie faggot.

Where do people like you live? Are you like this in your real life......the one away from the computer?

illusioNtEk
02-04-2018, 02:23 PM
New Era begins once Manu retires not Timmy

SupremeGuy
02-04-2018, 02:42 PM
Where do people like you live? Are you like this in your real life......the one away from the computer?I see you're not even attempting to argue against any part of the post.

Arcadian
02-04-2018, 02:44 PM

j2uQgm6euCw

The early 2000 Spurs were awesome to watch because of prime Duncan. Anytime you have a player that incredible, it's exciting.

Maybe you meant 96-97 Spurs.

Darius Bieber
02-04-2018, 03:16 PM
I keep telling you guys that this team is beyond trash.

dbreiden83080
02-04-2018, 03:40 PM
I keep telling you guys that this team is beyond trash.

We have been really really spoiled. The Knicks have been trash basically every single year since Ewing was traded. And that shit happened in 2000 for shit sake.. The high point for the Knicks in that era, was 2 finals appearances and some conferences finals appearances followed by almost 20 years of trash.. Spurs are still winning but no longer contenders, mostly because our best player is just not playing.. Times could be a lot worse..

r0drig0lac
02-04-2018, 03:50 PM
We have been really really spoiled. The Knicks have been trash basically every single year since Ewing was traded. And that shit happened in 2000 for shit sake.. The high point for the Knicks in that era, was 2 finals appearances and some conferences finals appearances followed by almost 20 years of trash.. Spurs are still winning but no longer contenders, mostly because our best player is just not playing.. Times could be a lot worse..

dude, who cares? spurs should not be compared to other franchises, especially in its management

Mills at 12:01? Three years contract for a big men who can not play against good teams? lot of undersized players (mills, parker, forbes, paul, etc.), betting all the chips on a player returning from serious injury (Rudy)? these mistakes have no excuse.

SayTown
02-04-2018, 03:57 PM
I've watched at least 90 percent of the games each season for the last thirty years or so except for this season, I have only watched a few games this year. I would go to five or so games a year but this year I don't know if you could pay me to go to a game. This team is so boring that it's hard to watch, at least in the early 2000's we had the best player in the world at that time. We don't have any exciting players which is why I wish we could of kept Jonathan Simmons at least he was good for a couple exciting plays a game. Our best player is on strike since no one knows what's wrong with him and MRI has revealed nothing and all we can go on is him saying his knee doesn't feel right, but I can see why he is on strike for reasons such as a game I remember from last year where he was on fire for the first quarter and had like twenty points or so and then he gets pretty much benched the rest of the game by Trump's biggest fan our coach who would rather talk politics than basketball. Our third best record is fools gold as we have had the fourth softest schedule and for our remaining games we have the second toughest schedule, so unless our best player ends his strike then this season will get alot uglier and even more unwatchable.

Darius Bieber
02-04-2018, 04:04 PM

Yeah, we knew the day would come inevitably. Can't always be good. Injuries + mismanagement ultimately have led us to our current demise. I guess at this point we can see less and less attendance at the AT&T Center as we become bottom of the west.

Hoops Czar
02-04-2018, 04:13 PM
Yeah, we knew the day would come inevitably. Can't always be good. Injuries + mismanagement ultimately have led us to our current demise. I guess at this point we can see less and less attendance at the AT&T Center as we become bottom of the west.

It's not about being good, it's about having a competant FO with a plan. Do you see a plan? Do you see a single redeeming quality of the offseason and a structured plan in place to get better?

BackHome
02-04-2018, 04:26 PM
To be honest basketball has been getting shittier every year. We get these hyped young kids who can’t even dribble a ball and they getting millions of dollars. This is the one sport we’re the players are getting worse and not better the league has to make changes to bring back the game.

UZER
02-04-2018, 04:32 PM
To be honest basketball has been getting shittier every year. We get these hyped young kids who can’t even dribble a ball and they getting millions of dollars. This is the one sport we’re the players are getting worse and not better the league has to make changes to bring back the game.

Instead, they turn a blind eye to major traveling and carrying to mask it.

Atl Spur
02-04-2018, 04:51 PM
Boy..........Billy Donovan really got those boys playing over there! Some swear we got it so bad.......

daslicer
02-04-2018, 05:27 PM
Manu showing his age with that remark. The '09-'10 team at this point of the season was 32-23.

SAGirl
02-04-2018, 05:38 PM
How about being washed up Manu?

Russ
02-04-2018, 05:39 PM
Mills at 12:01? Three years contract for a big men who can not play against good teams? lot of undersized players (mills, parker, forbes, paul, etc.), betting all the chips on a player returning from serious injury (Rudy)? these mistakes have no excuse.

Right now, just for this year 2017-18, what Spurs player would you say has the worst contract on the team?

(It pains me to point this out but we need to be brutally honest about these so-called "bad" contracts if we're going to continually bitch about them . . .)

TD 21
02-04-2018, 05:52 PM
Manu showing his age with that remark. The '09-'10 team at this point of the season was 32-23.

It's not all about record. That team had a proven championship core that was still in its collective prime, they just needed to infuse them with youth.

This team has the most important core piece injured and supposedly disgruntled and doesn't have a 3rd one. It's clearly the most bleak point since the pre Duncan era. There's never been a time where you went into every game, no matter the circumstances surrounding it and knew it would be an uphill battle and a good chance they'd lose.

Since Leonard was shut down for a 2nd time, they've been on a downward spiral, clearly demoralized and seemingly waiting for something to give.

objective
02-04-2018, 06:03 PM
dude, who cares? spurs should not be compared to other franchises, especially in its management

Right on.

They didn't even add a vertical threat big to replace what Dedmon brought, or a rim protector to replace Dedmon.

Just a disaster for the front office.

Ice009
02-04-2018, 06:26 PM
The early 2000 Spurs were awesome to watch because of prime Duncan. Anytime you have a player that incredible, it's exciting.

Maybe you meant 96-97 Spurs.

Yeah, I never found the Spurs with a prime TD boring, ever.

Proxy
02-04-2018, 06:27 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/O5NyCibf93upy/giphy.gif

daslicer
02-04-2018, 07:02 PM
It's not all about record. That team had a proven championship core that was still in its collective prime, they just needed to infuse them with youth.

This team has the most important core piece injured and supposedly disgruntled and doesn't have a 3rd one. It's clearly the most bleak point since the pre Duncan era. There's never been a time where you went into every game, no matter the circumstances surrounding it and knew it would be an uphill battle and a good chance they'd lose.

Since Leonard was shut down for a 2nd time, they've been on a downward spiral, clearly demoralized and seemingly waiting for something to give.

The 2010 team was pretty bad and it didn't look like our core at the time was going to win any more titles or compete for them. I think you have forgotten how bad that team was. They lost a lot of games to bad teams and struggled to beat elite teams. Honestly back then I didn't think they would ever win another championship with their current core. The team ended that year getting swept by the Suns and it looked liked it's core's best days were behind it. Trust me I remember being on this board back then and nobody believed the big 3 could ever compete for another championship. They were a lot of of people in here who thought at the time the Spurs should trade Parker for a top pick in the draft to acquire young talent. The situation back then was pretty bleak. I would say this situation is only slightly more bleak due to Kawhi's feud with the front office.

ElNono
02-04-2018, 07:06 PM
https://media3.giphy.com/media/l1J9FKVE43XS2Xoo8/giphy.gif

https://media0.giphy.com/media/3ohc17AhgjXlKvTwlO/giphy.gif

Uriel
02-04-2018, 08:06 PM

j2uQgm6euCw
Oh, how far this team has fallen. :depressed

Mr. Body
02-04-2018, 08:10 PM
The team just doesn't have a lot of talent. When you're playing guys like Forbes and Bertans big minutes, you're in trouble. The fact that they're 3rd in the conference is amazing.

Amuseddaysleeper
02-04-2018, 08:11 PM
How about being washed up Manu?

Manu is having his best season in years, he’s one of the greatest 40 year olds ever, far from washed up

Amuseddaysleeper
02-04-2018, 08:12 PM
The 2010 team was pretty bad and it didn't look like our core at the time was going to win any more titles or compete for them. I think you have forgotten how bad that team was. They lost a lot of games to bad teams and struggled to beat elite teams. Honestly back then I didn't think they would ever win another championship with their current core. The team ended that year getting swept by the Suns and it looked liked it's core's best days were behind it. Trust me I remember being on this board back then and nobody believed the big 3 could ever compete for another championship. They were a lot of of people in here who thought at the time the Spurs should trade Parker for a top pick in the draft to acquire young talent. The situation back then was pretty bleak. I would say this situation is only slightly more bleak due to Kawhi's feud with the front office.

2010 team beat a second seeded Mavs team. They were just injured a lot.

cd98
02-04-2018, 08:13 PM
Manu is having his best season in years, he’s one of the greatest 40 year olds ever, far from washed up

Yes, but anytime you are relying on a 40 year old guard to win games in the NBA, you are in trouble.

HarlemHeat37
02-04-2018, 08:17 PM
Manu has been the only player worth watching, tbh..I hope he plays until he's 50..

cd98
02-04-2018, 08:22 PM
Manu has been the only player worth watching, tbh..I hope he plays until he's 50..

The Spurs are counting on it bc Paul, etc aren’t stepping up. It’s sad that we can’t upgrade over a 40 year old guard. And I’m not dissing Manu. I’m dissing our front office.

Hoops Czar
02-04-2018, 08:24 PM

Wasn't that the year Parker came out and said the championship window had closed. Duncan looked like a walkiing corpse and if it wasn't for Ginobili :wow carrying the team down the home stretch of the regular season, they would have missed the playoffs. As it was, they snuck into the 7th seed and beat Dallas in the first round before getting swept out of the playoffs by Phoenix.

daslicer
02-04-2018, 08:24 PM

Spurs wanted revenge in '10 for what the Mavs did in '09 to them. Spurs would have won in '09 against them if Manu wasn't out for the playoffs. Also Pop made the adjustment of playing George hill more in the rematch with the Mavs vs what he did the previous year of hardly playing Hill. The Mavs were an ideal matchup for the Spurs that year but that spurs team was still pretty bad. The spurs big man rotation that year outside of Tim was terrible with Mcdyees-Blair-Bonner. If they had fallen to 8th that year they would have gotten swept by the Lakers. They were clearly not a contender that year.

HarlemHeat37
02-04-2018, 08:25 PM
The Spurs are counting on it bc Paul, etc aren’t stepping up. It’s sad that we can’t upgrade over a 40 year old guard. And I’m not dissing Manu. I’m dissing our front office.

I wasn't disagreeing with your comment, I agree with your sentiment..I'm just saying, from a fan perspective and my subjective opinion, Manu has been the only thing worth watching for me, so far..

Hoops Czar
02-04-2018, 08:29 PM

The Spurs should have been planning for Ginobili's retirement at age 35. It's sad that 5 years later and at age 40, he's still the only capable pg the Spurs have coming off the bench sans Parker though the latter doesn't close games and is by no means a suitable replacement for Ginobili.

HarlemHeat37
02-04-2018, 08:32 PM
It is funny that this forum has been discussing replacing Parker and Ginobili's load since the 2015 exit, tbh..you could argue that they're hoping Murray will replace Parker(although they don't play anything alike and Murray isn't even a real PG, atm), but they haven't addressed the Manu role..

I assumed it would be Simmons, but that ended quickly..

Signing Mills(isn't a real PG or legit SG) to a long-term deal with Parker still on the roster(and wants to play until he's 40) throws a wrench into everything..

Mikeanaro
02-04-2018, 08:49 PM
It is funny that this forum has been discussing replacing Parker and Ginobili's load since the 2015 exit, tbh..you could argue that they're hoping Murray will replace Parker(although they don't play anything alike and Murray isn't even a real PG, atm), but they haven't addressed the Manu role..

Signing Mills(isn't a real PG or legit SG) to a long-term deal with Parker still on the roster(and wants to play until he's 40) throws a wrench into everything..
They may not find new replacements, but also they want to keep an antiquated basketball style and thats another problem until Pop retires.
Also there is a lot of unnecessary passes that get predictable, more pizzaface-style.

ElNono
02-04-2018, 08:59 PM

Spursfan take HoF talent for granted, tbh...

Heck, I'm feeling like Portlandfan right now, hopping from TD to LMA...

gambit1990
02-04-2018, 09:01 PM
“but we’re the third seed” :lol

there’s GSW and HOU. and then there’s everyone else. if the spurs go on a losing streak and they could easily be #6. it’s not like far and away from a lower seed.

spurs are also played a bunch of scrub teams the first half of the season.

Hoops Czar
02-04-2018, 09:04 PM

there’s GSW and HOU. and then there’s everyone else. if the spurs go on a losing streak and they could easily be #6. it’s not like far and away from a lower seed.

Third seeded Spurs living rent free in Gambit1990's head.

TheDoctor
02-04-2018, 09:16 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/O5NyCibf93upy/giphy.gif

:lmao

SAGirl
02-04-2018, 09:23 PM
his age shows on defense tbh... a lot. he is fouling up a ton and he just can't keep up at times with the NBA athletes. Pop playing him as a 4 in undersized lineups doesn't do him any favors either tbh..

reference teh Pop is done critical threads.

SAGirl
02-04-2018, 09:25 PM
Yes, but anytime you are relying on a 40 year old guard to win games in the NBA, you are in trouble.
specially when you expect that 40 year old to play both ends and cover up for playing in lineups with 2 or 3 other guys who are 6'2" or less...

SAGirl
02-04-2018, 09:31 PM
Spurs aren't winning anything this season... I made my peace with that... Just got to hope Rudy and Kawhi get back so that PATFO doesn't have the excuse that they were never healthy... bc if they don't come back, they can always explain away underperforming from that perspective.

If Kawhi doesn't get back they will have other problems... really scary situation moving forward.

Atl Spur
02-04-2018, 11:17 PM
They may not find new replacements, but also they want to keep an antiquated basketball style and thats another problem until Pop retires.
Also there is a lot of unnecessary passes that get predictable, more pizzaface-style.

Is it really antiquated?? Golden State , Utah, and many others take from him all the time! Do your homework.

Mikeanaro
02-05-2018, 12:27 AM
Is it really antiquated?? Golden State , Utah, and many others take from him all the time! Do your homework.
Golden State took parts of the book, but they play more run & gun is not even close.
Having influences doesnt make you a copycat, big difference.

Pocho La Pantera
02-05-2018, 06:58 AM
People here that criticized Tony and Manu will realize how hard it will be to replace them, it'll take many years and it'll never be the same without both of them.

Ice009
02-05-2018, 07:00 AM
Manu's never affected anything IMO in regards to his salary. He's been paid pretty much what he deserves every season he's been here. Tony on the other hand has been overpaid since 2015 IMO.

Brazil
02-05-2018, 08:18 AM
News flash for ST posters...

1- A team entirely built around one player is playing like crap because that player did not play any relevant minutes yet
2- It is hard to replace HOFers Manu freaking Ginobili and Tony Parker and it is going to take time... duh
3- Spurs sans Kawhi stands no chance against Houston and GSW... duh
4- Spurs remain a small market team that cannot attract the Kevin Durants of the league... duh

except for that anything new ?

r0drig0lac
02-05-2018, 09:20 AM

1- A team entirely built around one player is playing like crap because that player did not play any relevant minutes yet
2- It is hard to replace HOFers Manu freaking Ginobili and Tony Parker and it is going to take time... duh
4- Spurs remain a small market team that cannot attract the Kevin Durants of the league... duh

except for that anything new ?

I wish this team really had been built around Kawhi Leonard as some here have repeatedly stated

rockets 2017: a team built around its star (Harden) to maximize its strengths

spurs 17-18: a team DEPENDENT of as Kawhi Leonard plays to look elite against the rest of the league

are different things

sananspursfan21
02-05-2018, 09:36 AM

Yes but they were far from fantastic. They were then swept handily by a not-that-great Phoenix team

Ice009
02-05-2018, 09:40 AM
Yep, I'd say for sure that this team isn't built around Kawhi at all. It's a bunch of scrubs with a few good players mixed in that Kawhi has to carry to make the team look good against other elite teams. It's definitely not built around him. It's built around people Pop likes.

Spurs have fucked him over majorly with the construction of the roster. I don't want him to leave or get traded, but I won't be mad at him if he wants out. The FO has failed him IMO. They've made choices not geared towards maximizing the team's basketball potential.

Brazil
02-05-2018, 10:01 AM
Yep, I'd say for sure that this team isn't built around Kawhi at all. It's a bunch of scrubs with a few good players mixed in that Kawhi has to carry to make the team look good against other elite teams. It's definitely not built around him. It's built around people Pop likes.

Spurs have fucked him over majorly with the construction of the roster. I don't want him to leave or get traded, but I won't be mad at him if he wants out. The FO has failed him IMO. They've made choices not geared towards maximizing the team's basketball potential.

:lol what a team built around Kawhi look like in a plausible scenario in terms of FAs / trades etc... tbh ?

Brazil
02-05-2018, 10:03 AM
What players and systems in the actual team are detrimental to Kawhi ?

If the argument is team is not built around Kawhi because the roster sucks... gtfo

ECOV
02-05-2018, 10:17 AM

yet there still there

jermaine
02-05-2018, 10:38 AM
If our superstar played, maybe we wouldn't be 3rd... We'd be close to 1st or in 2nd.

Ice009
02-05-2018, 10:56 AM
Penetrator/s. Kawhi's not really a penetrator, but he was getting better at it before the injuries. Spurs don't really have any on the team. They could have looked at getting one so they don't have to reply on a 40 year old Manu and an old Tony Parker to get to the rim. Having a player that could break down defenses consistently would have really helped. Instead, these guys are left passing the ball around the perimeter, just wasting time on the clock and not really getting much better shots.

Shooters. The Spurs don't really have any consistent outside shooters for Kawhi or LMA to pass the ball to when they're doubled.

spurraider21
02-05-2018, 11:09 AM
I wish this team really had been built around Kawhi Leonard as some here have repeatedly stated

rockets 2017: a team built around its star (Harden) to maximize its strengths

spurs 17-18: a team DEPENDENT of as Kawhi Leonard plays to look elite against the rest of the league

are different things
Houston is dependent on harden

offset formation
02-05-2018, 12:00 PM
But that culture though! Pop focusing more on his next rant on Trump then basketball sure isn't helping either.

Lol. Someone just outed themselves as a moron that thinks speaking out against any politician and coaching his basketball team are mutually exclusive.

Butthurt much, Trumper??

rjv
02-05-2018, 12:05 PM

but that is really the state of the NBA at this time. it's AAU ball, much in the same way that the NFL has become 7 on 7.

r0drig0lac
02-05-2018, 12:11 PM
Houston is dependent on harden

and?

BatManu20
02-05-2018, 12:23 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DVPBdZ-VQAAN7CN.jpg:large

-21-
02-05-2018, 12:40 PM
I don't understand all the people shitting on Manu. He's 40 years old, of course he's gonna play like a washed up scrub a lot of times. Pop is the one over-relying on him and tbf no one else has stepped up to take Manu's role.

This team was very poorly constructed even before the injuries. Only two legit bigs and a logjam of small guards. It doesn't help that Pop is trotting out small-ball lineups featuring a trio of 6'3" or shorter guards.

Manu just said what we're all thinking: it's very surprising that this terrible team is still 3rd in the West. With that said, this team is 3rd in the West. They've made it this far, might as well stick it out. Who knows, if they can get healthy, they still have a puncher's chance.

SAGirl
02-05-2018, 01:04 PM
Penetrator/s. Kawhi's not really a penetrator, but he was getting better at it before the injuries. Spurs don't really have any on the team. They could have looked at getting one so they don't have to reply on a 40 year old Manu and an old Tony Parker to get to the rim. Having a player that could break down defenses consistently would have really helped. Instead, these guys are left passing the ball around the perimeter, just wasting time on the clock and not really getting much better shots.

Shooters. The Spurs don't really have any consistent outside shooters for Kawhi or LMA to pass the ball to when they're doubled.
They have penetrartors... Tony and Manu... old yup. I am told to shut up bc HOF talent is hard to come by. Dejounte... not good enough and has a lot of time to learn. They don’t have any dribble penetration on their primes. Ones too young/raw, the other too old.

They have shooters. Just overpaid for a 6’0” one and have two jumsphooting bigs + Davis who is another jump shooting big.

Kawhi hasn’t been playing though. Very tough to judge these guys without him.

Though some things are evident like some being washed up, others too raw still, and some contracts being overpriced.

gambit1990
02-05-2018, 01:36 PM
manu isn’t even a problem, just look at his contract :lol it’s not his fault the spurs are still relying on him so much. if the spurs wanted to move him they could do so easily this year or the next.

tony on the other hand... will be resigned to what, 3 years/$30 million?

coachmac87
02-05-2018, 01:53 PM
This is what happens when you don’t have an MVP caliber player...

This is what happens when there’s false or unrealistic expectations when the measuring stick is the “Super Warriors”

SAGirl
02-05-2018, 03:11 PM
thought this was funny... for the Manu fans:

Brazil
02-05-2018, 04:23 PM

yet your argument is more about quality of the players than roles...

Spurs have penetrators, they have 3 pts shooters, they have players shooting mid range... I don't how in terms of system it is detrimental to Kawhi. If the point is to say they have all that but they are not good enough it is an entire other discussion. This actual system was made to let Kawhi shine and on a lesser extend to let LMA shine too so yeah Kawhi being out is a struggle for them.

I am also puzzled by the argument system was Kawhi carrying pretty much everything so it is not a team built for Kawhi... what ?... duh yeah dat was the plan... Kawhi is a dominant force, you want him to carry and have the ball... the plan was never to count on way past his prime Parker and granpa Manu and Pau scoring 20 a game.

Proxy
02-05-2018, 04:31 PM
role players playing like role players, 2nd option playing like a 1st, 1st option that can't wipe his own ass yet

what're we discussing?

Keepin' it real
02-05-2018, 04:45 PM
Where do people like you live? Are you like this in your real life......the one away from the computer?

What's a computer?

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/54c95d06e4b04d8d26f97dde/t/5a6a277953450a9b35f0ce35/1516906365534/What%27s+a+computer%3F.jpg?format=750w

Seventyniner
02-05-2018, 05:31 PM
What's a computer?

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/54c95d06e4b04d8d26f97dde/t/5a6a277953450a9b35f0ce35/1516906365534/What%27s+a+computer%3F.jpg?format=750w

I can't stand that commercial. THAT is a fucking computer, kid.

Chomag
02-05-2018, 05:32 PM
Lol. Someone just outed themselves as a moron that thinks speaking out against any politician and coaching his basketball team are mutually exclusive.

Butthurt much, Trumper??
Moron? OK... I'm not the one thinking I was being serious with that comment. I'm sorry but I must have hit a nerve with you, could you try lighting up a little?

daledondale
02-05-2018, 06:04 PM
960555660726464513:lol

TD 21
02-05-2018, 06:13 PM

In '10, not only was Parker banged up, but the differential between their expected and actual record was 5.

I was steadfast that the core was good enough to win another championship until mid way through '14-'15, when it became clear it was over for Parker and to a lesser extent Ginobili.

Also, the hierarchy of the league was different (there was no overwhelmingly dominant team, that was going to remain so for the foreseeable future) and stylistically, they weren't behind the times.

This is different. Unless they can find a way to pull off a Walker trade now in the off season, I don't see any other feasible scenario that changes their outlook in the near future.

Wasn't that the year Parker came out and said the championship window had closed. Duncan looked like a walkiing corpse and if it wasn't for Ginobili :wow carrying the team down the home stretch of the regular season, they would have missed the playoffs. As it was, they snuck into the 7th seed and beat Dallas in the first round before getting swept out of the playoffs by Phoenix.

Nah, think that was a few years later. Duncan wasn't the same physically from early '09 on, but he was still not only the best player on the team but on the short list of best players in the league in '10.

cd98
02-05-2018, 06:28 PM
The fact that Manu is playing well and is better than the other guards we have on this roster does not mask the fact that we need a 28 year old Manu to win 50 games this year and be competitive. We just don't have that.

daslicer
02-05-2018, 06:58 PM
In '10, not only was Parker banged up, but the differential between their expected and actual record was 5.

I was steadfast that the core was good enough to win another championship until mid way through '14-'15, when it became clear it was over for Parker and to a lesser extent Ginobili.

Also, the hierarchy of the league was different (there was no overwhelmingly dominant team, that was going to remain so for the foreseeable future) and stylistically, they weren't behind the times.

This is different. Unless they can find a way to pull off a Walker trade now in the off season, I don't see any other feasible scenario that changes their outlook in the near future.

Lakers were dominant in '09 and '10 and the Spurs didn't have the size to match up with them. Also Lebron formed his first super team in the summer of '10. I don't think anybody foresaw the spurs beating them a few years down the line. The Spurs were in a shitty situation in '10 that was almost equal to this situation. In the next few years they would make several moves to right the ship but no one expected it to happen the way it did with them getting Splitter,Diaw,Kawhi,Green,Mills. Those are 5 core pieces they were able to get out of nowhere. The only thing that makes this situation worse is Kawhi's feud with the front office.

Not saying the Spurs will get out of this situation like they did in '10 but for Manu to say he's never experienced something like this is pretty stupid. I remember in '10 during the Mavs series Manu saying in a postgame interview that for most of the year he didn't believe the Spurs were good enough to make the playoffs. Just another sign Manu is not just old physically but mentally.

pad300
02-05-2018, 07:25 PM
:lol what a team built around Kawhi look like in a plausible scenario in terms of FAs / trades etc... tbh ?

Assume we did go for CP3 (IMO that was worth trying), and thus owed Gasol.

Rather than sign Rudy Gay, Tyreke Evans to 3 yrs/24 million, $4 Million team option in year 3 (much more than he got from the griz). Why? Our guards are in much worse state than our bigs, and need immediate help. Tyreke has the potential to take over the Manu role... Resign David Lee if possible for a 1 year vet min. Lauvergne is signed (he was worth a look), but his 2nd year is a team option, not a player option. Look at Casspi rather than BP3.

Patty Mills is not resigned unless a lot cheaper. His signing made NO strategic sense. He is not and has never been capable of being a starting level PG; thus you cannot pay him like a starter. At most he should have gotten the MLE ($8 Million), preferable $6 M annually. Try and use him in a sign and trade (for Rubio) if he doesn't want that. Failing that, go looking for a real PG, not an undersized shooting guard

Bigs : LMA, Pau, David Lee, Lauvergne
3/4's: Bertans, Anderson, Kawhi, Casspi
SGs: , Green, Evans, Manu,
PG's : Tony, Dejounte, Forbes

PS in the draft, take Alpha Kaba at 59, and don't sign Lauvergne...
At the start of the season (Kawhi and Tony out), start LMA, Bertans, Anderson, Green, Dejounte, 2nd unit: Pau, Lee, Evans, Manu, Forbes.

TD 21
02-05-2018, 07:30 PM
Lakers were dominant in '09 and '10 and the Spurs didn't have the size to match up with them. Also Lebron formed his first super team in the summer of '10. I don't think anybody foresaw the spurs beating them a few years down the line. The Spurs were in a shitty situation in '10 that was almost equal to this situation. In the next few years they would make several moves to right the ship but no one expected it to happen the way it did with them getting Splitter,Diaw,Kawhi,Green,Mills. Those are 5 core pieces they were able to get out of nowhere. The only thing that makes this situation worse is Kawhi's feud with the front office.

Not saying the Spurs will get out of this situation like they did in '10 but for Manu to say he's never experienced something like this is pretty stupid. I remember in '10 during the Mavs series Manu saying in a postgame interview that for most of the year he didn't believe the Spurs were good enough to make the playoffs. Just another sign Manu is not just old physically but mentally.

Not overwhelmingly so, plus they weren't exactly young either. Spurs needed a second big and 3 and D wing, but they had Splitter waiting in the wings and the latter was far more attainable than what they currently need. I never viewed Lakers or Heat as out of reach and repeatedly predicted that if/when they got back to the Finals, they'd beat the latter.

I get where Ginobili is coming from and feel the exact same way.

Pocho La Pantera
02-05-2018, 07:36 PM

except for that anything new ? you duh me all you want, but some shitty posters round here bang them all the time since 2004.

Keepin' it real
02-05-2018, 07:58 PM

I can't stand that commercial. THAT is a fucking computer, kid.

Yeah, I wanna throw my remote at the tv every time that troll appears.

pgardn
02-06-2018, 12:10 AM
Pop and his big turn Left has ruined the team.
Blame Trump.

Thats the ticket...

BatManu20
02-06-2018, 12:37 AM
If it makes anyone feel any better, Utah just blew out the Pels in NOLA for their 6th straight win and 7th win out of their last 8 games. They're the hottest team in the league right now.

spurs10
02-06-2018, 02:12 AM
960555660726464513 Okay SAGirl this just made my day! :lol

spurs10
02-06-2018, 02:15 AM
If it makes anyone feel any better, Utah just blew out the Pels in NOLA for their 6th straight win and 7th win out of their last 8 games. They're the hottest team in the league right now.
It makes feel a little better....as did Philly winning the Super Bowl!

Slippy
02-06-2018, 07:08 AM
role players playing like role players, 2nd option playing like a 1st, 1st option that can't wipe his own ass yet

gambit1990
03-04-2018, 11:03 AM
:wakeup

gambit1990
03-04-2018, 11:06 AM

spurs currently #6.

UZER
03-04-2018, 12:35 PM
Manu should've gone to Philly when he had the chance. He be the vet leader on that young hungry team with a beast center. Plus he'd be in the east with a legit shot to do some damage in the playoffs.

SAGirl
03-04-2018, 12:37 PM

Feb 4-->March 4. Went from terrible to awful.

TimDunkem
03-04-2018, 01:12 PM
Manu should've gone to Philly when he had the chance. He be the vet leader on that young hungry team with a beast center. Plus he'd be in the east with a legit shot to do some damage in the playoffs.

Manu is chasing paychecks.

ElNono
03-04-2018, 04:14 PM
Only Spur that tells it like it is, tbh...

Poop rather talk about new planets and how important is Blak History Month...

tholdren
03-04-2018, 05:02 PM
Only Spur that tells it like it is, tbh...

Poop rather talk about new planets and how important is Blak History Month...
Kawhi needs more rest and more help just like the real mvp

$pursDynasty
03-04-2018, 05:27 PM
The Laker's game starting lineup was one of the worst, I have ever seen in a NBA game. I don't think they could have put a worse lineup out there if he tried.

SAGirl
03-04-2018, 07:53 PM
The Laker's game starting lineup was one of the worst, I have ever seen in a NBA game. I don't think they could have put a worse lineup out there if he tried.
The Starting lineup didn't lose that game. They actually got a good lead on them. The bench sucked as well as benching Kyle the 4th Q.

tbdog
03-04-2018, 08:19 PM
We needed D. Our offense was fine. Not playing Green and Kyle was the issue. Gay looks too gassed to play 30mins currently.

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-05-2018, 11:58 PM
Spurs would have lost by 20 in Memphis tonight had it been a road game. When your entire starting lineup goes 10 for 32 and 1 for 8 from three, at home, against the worst team in the league you know you're sucking pretty badly.

tholdren
03-06-2018, 12:05 AM
Kawhi needs more rest and more help just like the real mvp

HarlemHeat37
03-06-2018, 02:10 PM
31-23 without Kawhi is still very impressive, regardless of schedule..not every team can be the Warriors and have a substitute superstar:lol Spurs have been getting killed in the 4th quarter as of late, which is directly attributed to Kawhi's absence..

IIRC, Boston is the only team that doesn't miss their superstar in small stretches, since Stevens is the best coach in the NBA and elevates role players like Pop did during the 2011-2015 era(also impacted by Irving not playing defense, nor making teammates better)..they're what the Spurs used to be, in that regard..

Houston went 4-3 without Harden(3 wins against Orlando, Phoenix and Chicago), they're still as reliant on him as they have ever been, despite acquiring Paul..

Look at the other teams on the same tier as the Spurs..Minnesota is 4-6 without Butler, Pacers are 0-6 without Oladipo, Pelicans went 3-3 without Davis, Sixers are 3-8 without Embiid, Denver was 3-5 without Jokic..

The roster is clearly flawed as hell, no denying that, but the Warriors are the only team out there running 4 stars:lol

spurs10
03-06-2018, 02:21 PM
Spurs would have lost by 20 in Memphis tonight had it been a road game. When your entire starting lineup goes 10 for 32 and 1 for 8 from three, at home, against the worst team in the league you know you're sucking pretty badly.
Yeah shooting 22% is not going to get it done. Missed lay ups and missed everything else. The line kept us in the game along with TP and Danny deciding to will the team to a win.

SAGirl
03-06-2018, 03:52 PM
31-23 without Kawhi is still very impressive, regardless of schedule..not every team can be the Warriors and have a substitute superstar:lol Spurs have been getting killed in the 4th quarter as of late, which is directly attributed to Kawhi's absence..

IIRC, Boston is the only team that doesn't miss their superstar in small stretches, since Stevens is the best coach in the NBA and elevates role players like Pop did during the 2011-2015 era(also impacted by Irving not playing defense, nor making teammates better)..they're what the Spurs used to be, in that regard..

Houston went 4-3 without Harden(3 wins against Orlando, Phoenix and Chicago), they're still as reliant on him as they have ever been, despite acquiring Paul..

Look at the other teams on the same tier as the Spurs..Minnesota is 4-6 without Butler, Pacers are 0-6 without Oladipo, Pelicans went 3-3 without Davis, Sixers are 3-8 without Embiid, Denver was 3-5 without Jokic..

The roster is clearly flawed as hell, no denying that, but the Warriors are the only team out there running 4 stars:lol
Thanks for being the voice of reason
:bobo

UNT Eagles 2016
03-06-2018, 04:37 PM
i hope the Spurs win fifty and still miss the playoffs, that would be epic

Prose
03-06-2018, 06:31 PM
i hope the Spurs win fifty and still miss the playoffs, that would be epic
Hahahhhhahaha

DPG21920
03-06-2018, 11:11 PM
:lmao DEN fully healhty getting rocked by a Dallas team that literally got fined 600K for openly tanking :lmao

UNT Eagles 2016
03-07-2018, 06:31 PM
:lmao DEN fully healhty getting rocked by a Dallas team that literally got fined 600K for openly tanking :lmao

that's bad news for our chances to get a lottery pick for the first time since we drafted Duncan.