PDA

View Full Version : Robert Horry Game Fives

conqueso
10-19-2005, 01:25 PM
I'm sure this issue has at least been touched upon in this forum before, but I'm brand new (and too lazy to read through the archives), so I thought I'd post my rant about it.

Has anyone noticed how many striking similarities there are between the endings of Game 5 of the 2003 Western Conference Semis and Game 5 of the 2005 NBA Finals? Horry took both shots to win those games from the exact same spot on the court. In both instances, he was left wide open while the opponents double-teamed the sensational off-guard in the corner. The only substantive difference was that one time he missed the shot, and one time he made it.

Now the plays that each team ran were different. Phil designed that play exclusively for Horry to take the shot, knowing that the Spurs would double Kobe when he dribbled to the corner. Phil also knew that Horry would be open roaming the perimeter because his defender (TD) would decide to double on Shaq in the low post. The Spurs, by their own admission, lucked out. Horry wasn't the primary option in the play that Pop designed. Pop never expected the best defensive team in the world to double Manu and leave Horry wide-fucking-open. But they did, and Horry nailed the shot.

Even the shots themselves are eerily similar. Both have a high arch to avoid the defender running to contest it. Both rattle back-and-forth in the cylinder. But the more times I watch the 2005 shot, the more I think it shouldn't have gone in. Conversely, the more times I watch the 2003 shot, the more I think it should have. Both times, someone saved the Spurs from a disastrous collapse.

Now I know there is a rational explanation for why Horry made one and missed the other. Sometimes your shots just fall, and sometimes they don't. It's all just physics, and it's all seemingly controlled by the guy who releases the shot. But I've watched those replays on the Championship DVDs hundreds of times, and I just can't shake the thought that something else was involved. I'm not really much of a spiritual person, so I'm reluctant to say that there was "divine intervention," but it's still interesting to me that the same guy in the same situation from the same spot did two different things, and each time the outcome benefitted the same people, the same organization, and the same city.

Admiral Dave said in an interview about Horry's '03 shot, "Things happen in the playoffs; there are always one or two little moments that are kinda magical for you. Either they go for you or they go against you, and those are the things you remember." Why is it that Horry is so often a part of those moments?

Obstructed_View
10-19-2005, 01:28 PM
It's intelligent design.

sprrs
10-19-2005, 03:05 PM
:blah my very first thread on this board was exactly like this

If I remember correctly Horry was shooting horribly that year, but I still got/get chills watching game 5 of the 2003 WCF

All I know is Big Shot Bob saved the Spurs on both occasions :spin

Gooshie
10-19-2005, 03:12 PM
Speaking of Robert Horry and Game 5s, he was also physically in that exact same spot on the court for Derek Fisher's "0.4" shot.

3 years in a row the man is in the exact same spot on the court with seconds remaining in a Game 5. 3 years in a row, each game basically decided the Championship.

Jules Winnfield
10-19-2005, 04:29 PM
But I've watched those replays on the Championship DVDs hundreds of times, and I just can't shake the thought that something else was involved. I'm not really much of a spiritual person, so I'm reluctant to say that there was "divine intervention,"

No, conqueso, you are right. That was...divine intervention. You know what divine intervention is, Vincent?

Vincent Vega
10-19-2005, 04:30 PM
No, conqueso, you are right. That was...divine intervention. You know what divine intervention is, Vincent?

Yeah, I think so. That means God came down from Heaven and stopped the shot from going in?

Jules Winnfield
10-19-2005, 04:31 PM
Yeah, I think so. That means God came down from Heaven and stopped the shot from going in?

Yeah, man, that's what is means. That's exactly what it means! God came down from Heaven and stopped the shot.

Vincent Vega
10-19-2005, 04:32 PM
Yeah, man, that's what is means. That's exactly what it means! God came down from Heaven and stopped the shot.

I think we should be going now.

Jules Winnfield
10-19-2005, 04:32 PM
I think we should be going now.

Don't do that! Don't you fuckin' do that! Don't blow this shit off! What just happened was a fuckin' miracle!

Vincent Vega
10-19-2005, 04:33 PM
Don't do that! Don't you fuckin' do that! Don't blow this shit off! What just happened was a fuckin' miracle!

Chill the fuck out, Jules, this shit happens.

Jules Winnfield
10-19-2005, 04:34 PM
Chill the fuck out, Jules, this shit happens.

Wrong, wrong, this shit doesn't just happen.

Vincent Vega
10-19-2005, 04:35 PM
Wrong, wrong, this shit doesn't just happen.

Do you wanna continue this theological discussion in the car, or at the jailhouse with the cops?

Jules Winnfield
10-19-2005, 04:37 PM
Do you wanna continue this theological discussion in the car, or at the jailhouse with the cops?

The Lakers should have won 4 straight fuckin' titles, my friend! What we witnessed in 2003 was a miracle, and I want you to fuckin' acknowledge it!

Vincent Vega
10-19-2005, 04:38 PM
The Lakers should have won 4 straight fuckin' titles, my friend! What we witnessed in 2003 was a miracle, and I want you to fuckin' acknowledge it!

Okay man, it was a miracle, can we leave now?

G-Nob
10-19-2005, 04:39 PM
How about big shots "give up " last night with the quick fouls?

Vincent Vega
10-19-2005, 04:41 PM
.......ever seen that show "NBA's Greatest Games?" I was watchin' it once and this guy was on it who was talkin' about this time he got into this game and its tied with only seconds left. Then this guy, Jerry West wins the game on a buzzer beater. And this guy was at half court. It's a freak incedent, but it happens.

Jules Winnfield
10-19-2005, 04:42 PM
.......ever seen that show "NBA's Greatest Games?" I was watchin' it once and this guy was on it who was talkin' about this time he got into this game and its tied with only seconds left. Then this guy, Jerry West wins the game on a buzzer beater. And this guy was at half court. It's a freak incedent, but it happens.

If you wanna play blind man, then go walk with a Shepherd. But me, my eyes are wide fuckin' open.

Mavs<Spurs
10-19-2005, 05:17 PM
It's intelligent design.

I know that's right!

Mavs<Spurs
10-19-2005, 05:26 PM
Can we say that in both cases the coach designed the play intelligently and that while this was not a primary option, it was put there as a threat for a reason. Therefore, I say that it was intelligent design. Hubie Brown also thought that Manu deliberately drew the two defenders to himself, thus leaving Horry open.

I can't say for sure that God took Horry's 2003 shot out and made sure Horry's 2005 shot went in through direct divine intervention. When both teams are praying, whose prayers is He answering? I do say that there is such a thing as cause and effect and that God works almost always through means.

In terms of 4 Lakers championships, did you miss the last game of the 2003 season (for the Lakers that is)? Talk to me about that game.

Mavs<Spurs
10-19-2005, 05:28 PM

What I want to know is which team is better in LA? The Clippers looked better last year. Y'all can battle blog it out.

ObiwanGinobili
10-19-2005, 05:39 PM
:lmao @ Jules & Vincent :lmao

where have you guys been??

conqueso
10-19-2005, 05:52 PM
Okay man, it was a miracle, can we leave now?

Oh my god, that was hilarious!

Jules Winnfield
10-19-2005, 07:06 PM
:lmao @ Jules & Vincent :lmao

where have you guys been??

Well, basically, What I have been doing, and will continue to do, is walk the earth.

Vincent Vega
10-19-2005, 07:07 PM
Well, basically, What I have been doing, and will continue to do, is walk the earth.

What do you mean, walk the earth?

Jules Winnfield
10-19-2005, 07:08 PM
What do you mean, walk the earth?

You know, like Caine in "KUNG FU." Just walk from town to town, meet people, get in adventures.

Vincent Vega
10-19-2005, 07:09 PM
You know, like Caine in "KUNG FU." Just walk from town to town, meet people, get in adventures.

How long do you intend to walk the earth?

Jules Winnfield
10-19-2005, 07:10 PM
How long do you intend to walk the earth?

Until God puts me where he want me to be.

Vincent Vega
10-19-2005, 07:11 PM
Until God puts me where he want me to be.

What if he never does?

Jules Winnfield
10-19-2005, 07:12 PM
What if he never does?

If it takes forever, I'll wait forever.

Vincent Vega
10-19-2005, 07:12 PM
If it takes forever, I'll wait forever.

So you decided to be a bum?

Jules Winnfield
10-19-2005, 07:13 PM
So you decided to be a bum?

I'll just be Jules, Vincent -- no more, no less.

Vincent Vega
10-19-2005, 07:14 PM
I'll just be Jules, Vincent -- no more, no less.

No Jules, you're gonna be like those pieces of shit out there who beg for change. They walk around like a bunch of fuckin' zombies, they sleep in garbage bins, they eat what I throw away, and dogs piss on 'em. They got a word for 'em, they're called bums. And without a job, residence, or legal tender, that's what you're gonna be -- a fuckin' bum!

Jules Winnfield
10-19-2005, 07:15 PM
No Jules, you're gonna be like those pieces of shit out there who beg for change. They walk around like a bunch of fuckin' zombies, they sleep in garbage bins, they eat what I throw away, and dogs piss on 'em. They got a word for 'em, they're called bums. And without a job, residence, or legal tender, that's what you're gonna be -- a fuckin' bum!

Look my friend, this is just where me and you differ.

Vincent Vega
10-19-2005, 07:16 PM
Look my friend, this is just where me and you differ.

What happened with Horry was peculiar -- no doubt about it -- but it wasn't water into wine.

Jules Winnfield
10-19-2005, 07:17 PM
What happened with Horry was peculiar -- no doubt about it -- but it wasn't water into wine.

All shapes and sizes, Vince.

Vincent Vega
10-19-2005, 07:17 PM
All shapes and sizes, Vince.

Stop fuckin' talkin' like that!

Jules Winnfield
10-19-2005, 07:18 PM
Stop fuckin' talkin' like that!

If you find my answers frightening, Vincent, you should cease askin' scary questions.

Vincent Vega
10-19-2005, 07:19 PM
If you find my answers frightening, Vincent, you should cease askin' scary questions.

When did you make this decision -- while you were watchin' the Spurs 2003 DVD?

Jules Winnfield
10-19-2005, 07:21 PM
When did you make this decision -- while you were watchin' the Spurs 2003 DVD?

Yeah. I was just sitting here drinking my coffee, watchin' the DVD, replayin' the in incident, when I had what alcoholics refer to as a "moment of clarity."

Vincent Vega
10-19-2005, 07:22 PM
Yeah. I was just sitting here drinking my coffee, watchin' the DVD, replayin' the in incident, when I had what alcoholics refer to as a "moment of clarity."

I gotta take a shit.

To be continued.

SA210
10-19-2005, 08:10 PM
:lol

Jules Winnfield
02-22-2006, 10:10 PM
shitcheah

orhe
02-22-2006, 10:51 PM
yeah but don't forget manu made a hell of a pass

Dre_7
02-23-2006, 01:34 AM
They were talking about Horry missing in 2003.

Joepa
02-23-2006, 10:03 AM
Can we say that in both cases the coach designed the play intelligently and that while this was not a primary option, it was put there as a threat for a reason. Therefore, I say that it was intelligent design. Hubie Brown also thought that Manu deliberately drew the two defenders to himself, thus leaving Horry open.

I can't say for sure that God took Horry's 2003 shot out and made sure Horry's 2005 shot went in through direct divine intervention. When both teams are praying, whose prayers is He answering? I do say that there is such a thing as cause and effect and that God works almost always through means.

In terms of 4 Lakers championships, did you miss the last game of the 2003 season (for the Lakers that is)? Talk to me about that game.

Well, the Lakers are Satan's team, so obviously their prayers wouldn't be answered.