PDA

View Full Version : Religion makes you stupid, ignorant (American version)

boutons_deux
02-06-2018, 04:32 PM
An insider explains how rural Christian white America has a dark and terrifying underbelly

I grew up in rural Christian white America. You’d be hard-pressed to find an area of the country with a higher percentage of Christians or whites. I spent most of the first 24 years of my life deeply embedded in this culture. I religiously (pun intended) attended their Christian services. I worked off and on on their rural farms. I dated their calico-skirted daughters. I camped, hunted and fished with their sons. I listened to their political rants at the local diner and truck stop. I winced at their racist/bigoted jokes and epithets that were said more out of ignorance than animosity.

I have watched the town I grew up in go from a robust economy with well-kept homes and infrastructure to a struggling economy with shuttered businesses, dilapidated homes and a broken-down infrastructure over the past 30 years.

The problem isn’t that I don’t understand these people.

The problem is they don’t understand themselves or the reasons for their anger and frustration.

In deep-red America, the white Christian god is king, figuratively and literally.

Religious fundamentalism has shaped most of their belief systems. Systems built on a fundamentalist framework are not conducive to introspection, questioning, learning, or change. When you have a belief system built on fundamentalism, it isn’t open to outside criticism, especially by anyone not a member of your tribe and in a position of power. The problem isn’t that coastal elites don’t understand rural Americans.

The problem is that rural America doesn’t understand itself and will never listen to anyone outside its bubble.

It doesn’t matter how “understanding” you are, how well you listen, what language you use…if you are viewed as an outsider, your views will be automatically discounted.

I’ve had hundreds of discussions with rural white Americans and whenever I present them any information that contradicts their entrenched beliefs, no matter how sound, how unquestionable, how obvious, they will not even entertain the possibility that it might be true.

Their refusal is a result of the nature of their fundamentalist belief system and the fact that I’m the enemy because I’m an educated liberal.

At some point during the discussion, they will say, “That’s your education talking,” derogatorily, as a general dismissal of everything I said.

They truly believe this is a legitimate response, because to them education is not to be trusted. Education is the enemy of fundamentalism because fundamentalism, by its very nature, is not built on facts.

Knowing this about their belief system and their view of outside information that doesn’t support it, telling me that the problem is coastal elites not understanding them completely misses the point.

Another problem with rural Christian white Americans is they are racists.

Their white god made them in his image and everyone else is a less-than-perfect version, flawed and cursed.

The religion in which I was raised taught this. Even though they’ve backtracked on some of their more racist declarations, many still believe the original claims. Non-whites are the color they are because of their sins, or at least the sins of their ancestors. Blacks don’t have dark skin because of where they lived and evolution; they have dark skin because they are cursed. God cursed them for a reason.

For us “coastal elites” who understand evolution, genetics and science, nothing we say to those in flyover country is going to be listened to because not only are we fighting against an anti-education belief system, we are arguing against god.

Because rural Christian white Americans will not listen to educated arguments, supported by facts that go against their fundamentalist belief systems from “outsiders,” any change must come from within.

Another major problem with closed-off fundamentalist belief systems is they are very susceptible to propaganda.

All belief systems are to some extent, but fundamentalist systems even more so because there are no checks and balances. If bad information gets in, it doesn’t get out and because there are no internal mechanisms to guard against it, it usually ends up very damaging to the whole.

Without built-in protective functions like critical analysis, self-reflection, openness to counter-evidence, and willingness to re-evaluate any and all beliefs,

bad information in a closed-off system ends up doing massive damage in a short period of time.

Rural Christian white Americans have let

anti-intellectual, anti-science, bigoted racists like Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Bill O’Reilly, the Stepford wives of Fox, and every evangelical preacher on television

into their systems because these people tell them what they want to hear and because they sell themselves as being like them.

The truth is none of these people give a rat’s ass about rural Christian white Americans except how they can exploit them for attention and money.

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/02/insider-explains-rural-christian-white-america-dark-terrifying-underbelly/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheRawStory+%28The+Raw+Story% 29 (https://www.rawstory.com/2018/02/insider-explains-rural-christian-white-america-dark-terrifying-underbelly/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheRawStory+%28The+Raw+Story% 29)

boutons_deux
02-06-2018, 04:39 PM
Trash backers lead in sharing ‘junk’ political news

Backers of President Donald Trump are sharing more "junk" political news — ideologically extreme, conspiratorial, sensationalist and phony information — on Twitter and Facebook than all other groups combined, British researchers found.

these Americans shared posts from 92 Twitter accounts of fringe groups such as "100PercentFEDUp," "Beforeitsnews," "TheAngryAmericans" and "WeArethenewmedia" during the three months before Trump's first State of the Union address

most of the junk news that people share over social media ends up with Trump's fans, the far right.

They're playing with different facts, and they think they have the inside scoop on conspiracies."

"a small chunk of the population isn't able to talk politics or share ideas in a sensible way with the rest of the population."

"That's a problem for democracy,"

Howard said. "In an ideal world, everybody would get at least a few of the same news stories, There'd be some shared facts and some shared understanding of the problems" facing the country.

"Trust in news is strikingly divided across ideological lines, and

an ecosystem of alternative news is flourishing, fueled by extremist, sensationalist, conspiratorial, masked commentary, fake news and other forms of junk news,"

On the positive side, the researchers found that

most Americans, including members of both the Democratic and Republican parties, were not targeted with junk news and tended not to share it.

The White House did not respond to a request for comment on the study. :lol

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/02/trump-backers-lead-sharing-junk-political-news-researchers-find/ (https://www.rawstory.com/2018/02/trump-backers-lead-sharing-junk-political-news-researchers-find/)

So we have characterization of the 35% of Americans who STILL think Trash is doing a great job, and probably a majority of Trash supporters are also Christian extremists, stupid, ignorant, low-wage, low-education, close-minded, racist.

Chris
02-06-2018, 05:01 PM
I religiously (pun intended) attended their Christian services.

https://media3.giphy.com/media/mpxvACn6oda7e/giphy.gif

boutons_deux
02-06-2018, 05:06 PM
Americans are manipulated by fake news because religion has infected our politics

people seem to be losing IQ points year after year

and it’s all due to a slow decline in truth.

In 2012, he explained that the Republican candidates that agreed in the scientific theory of evolution dropped to one-third of the field.

By 2016, just one candidate, Jeb Bush, believed in science.

Even Bush said that the cornerstone of biology shouldn’t be taught in schools, however, and if it was it should be taught along with the religious belief of Creationism.

Andersen explained that

he doesn’t think the Republican Party is growing stupider each year, rather they’re fearful to challenge the chosen reality of their voters.
“I don’t think all of them disbelieve in evolution – some of them – but they were all obliged to say yes to falsehood and magical thinking of this religious kind, and that’s where it becomes problematic,”

Christian Protestant religion became extreme. It became more magical and supernatural in its beliefs in America than it has for hundreds of years or for any other place in the world.”

As the Protestant Christians became more extreme, the Republican Party was similarly becoming more extreme.

“So, one thing that has happened, and one thing that has led the Republican Party to

fantasy and wishful untruth more and more into its approach to policy…are now in the Republican mainstream,”

when religious belief “bleeds over into how we manage and construct our economy and our society,” there’s a problem.

It will cause lasting trouble for the country.

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/02/americans-manipulated-fake-news-religion-infected-politics-peabody-winning-journalist/ (https://www.rawstory.com/2018/02/americans-manipulated-fake-news-religion-infected-politics-peabody-winning-journalist/)

With the oligarchy and white Christian supremacists fucking everything hard and deep, America is fucked and unfuckable, into permanent decline, falling behind other industrial countries.

TeyshaBlue
02-06-2018, 08:25 PM
An insider explains how rural Christian white America has a dark and terrifying underbelly

I grew up in rural Christian white America. You’d be hard-pressed to find an area of the country with a higher percentage of Christians or whites. I spent most of the first 24 years of my life deeply embedded in this culture. I religiously (pun intended) attended their Christian services. I worked off and on on their rural farms. I dated their calico-skirted daughters. I camped, hunted and fished with their sons. I listened to their political rants at the local diner and truck stop. I winced at their racist/bigoted jokes and epithets that were said more out of ignorance than animosity.

I have watched the town I grew up in go from a robust economy with well-kept homes and infrastructure to a struggling economy with shuttered businesses, dilapidated homes and a broken-down infrastructure over the past 30 years.

The problem isn’t that I don’t understand these people.

The problem is they don’t understand themselves or the reasons for their anger and frustration.

In deep-red America, the white Christian god is king, figuratively and literally.

Religious fundamentalism has shaped most of their belief systems. Systems built on a fundamentalist framework are not conducive to introspection, questioning, learning, or change. When you have a belief system built on fundamentalism, it isn’t open to outside criticism, especially by anyone not a member of your tribe and in a position of power. The problem isn’t that coastal elites don’t understand rural Americans.

The problem is that rural America doesn’t understand itself and will never listen to anyone outside its bubble.

It doesn’t matter how “understanding” you are, how well you listen, what language you use…if you are viewed as an outsider, your views will be automatically discounted.

I’ve had hundreds of discussions with rural white Americans and whenever I present them any information that contradicts their entrenched beliefs, no matter how sound, how unquestionable, how obvious, they will not even entertain the possibility that it might be true.

Their refusal is a result of the nature of their fundamentalist belief system and the fact that I’m the enemy because I’m an educated liberal.

At some point during the discussion, they will say, “That’s your education talking,” derogatorily, as a general dismissal of everything I said.

They truly believe this is a legitimate response, because to them education is not to be trusted. Education is the enemy of fundamentalism because fundamentalism, by its very nature, is not built on facts.

Knowing this about their belief system and their view of outside information that doesn’t support it, telling me that the problem is coastal elites not understanding them completely misses the point.

Another problem with rural Christian white Americans is they are racists.

Their white god made them in his image and everyone else is a less-than-perfect version, flawed and cursed.

The religion in which I was raised taught this. Even though they’ve backtracked on some of their more racist declarations, many still believe the original claims. Non-whites are the color they are because of their sins, or at least the sins of their ancestors. Blacks don’t have dark skin because of where they lived and evolution; they have dark skin because they are cursed. God cursed them for a reason.

For us “coastal elites” who understand evolution, genetics and science, nothing we say to those in flyover country is going to be listened to because not only are we fighting against an anti-education belief system, we are arguing against god.

Because rural Christian white Americans will not listen to educated arguments, supported by facts that go against their fundamentalist belief systems from “outsiders,” any change must come from within.

Another major problem with closed-off fundamentalist belief systems is they are very susceptible to propaganda.

All belief systems are to some extent, but fundamentalist systems even more so because there are no checks and balances. If bad information gets in, it doesn’t get out and because there are no internal mechanisms to guard against it, it usually ends up very damaging to the whole.

Without built-in protective functions like critical analysis, self-reflection, openness to counter-evidence, and willingness to re-evaluate any and all beliefs,

bad information in a closed-off system ends up doing massive damage in a short period of time.

Rural Christian white Americans have let

anti-intellectual, anti-science, bigoted racists like Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Bill O’Reilly, the Stepford wives of Fox, and every evangelical preacher on television

into their systems because these people tell them what they want to hear and because they sell themselves as being like them.

The truth is none of these people give a rat’s ass about rural Christian white Americans except how they can exploit them for attention and money.

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/02/insider-explains-rural-christian-white-america-dark-terrifying-underbelly/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheRawStory+%28The+Raw+Story% 29 (https://www.rawstory.com/2018/02/insider-explains-rural-christian-white-america-dark-terrifying-underbelly/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheRawStory+%28The+Raw+Story% 29)

Unquestionably one of the stupidest articles posted on this forum. "Insider". :lol

I'm not surprised.