PDA

View Full Version : Official 2017-2018 Offseason Thread

TheDoctor
02-07-2018, 01:03 AM
I know it’s way early but with LeBron James not willing to waive his No-Trade Clause, the plot about him coming to the Spurs in the Offseason is gaining some real track (true or not). Delusional thinking? Maybe but there’s some noise out there:

YGWHI
02-07-2018, 02:17 AM
One thing that PATFO should tell LBJ to recruit him.

"Bron, do you remember Russ-KD duo? That OKC team doesn't exist

Do you remember Lob City? Those Clips don't exist anymore

But you know what? The Spurs have always been the Spurs, they're the only team that made the playoffs every season in last 20 years."

:flag:

BatManu20
02-07-2018, 02:48 AM
Cavs Nation? I'm sure they have legitimate connections :lol

TheDoctor
02-07-2018, 08:00 AM
Cavs Nation? I'm sure they have legitimate connections :lol
If here in SpursTalk we play to be PATFO then why not? :lol

Ice009
02-07-2018, 08:58 AM
I know it’s way early but with LeBron James not willing to waive his No-Trade Clause, the plot about him coming to the Spurs in the Offseason is gaining some real track (true or not). Delusional thinking? Maybe but there’s some noise out there:

Whoa, that sounds good to me. Not sure how credible that is.

NASpurs
02-11-2018, 04:15 PM
Kyle's dad

:cry

DPG21920
02-11-2018, 04:37 PM
Interesting. Funny how Kyle basically admitted he was not working hard and it was the contract year that motivated him now his family thinks he should get the ball and thinks he will do better elsewhere like some team will let him be Ben Simmons.

MaNu4Tres
02-11-2018, 05:08 PM
Kyle's dad

:cry

Amazing how dumb parents can be.

If you want your son to have the ball in his hands every possession, go to phoenix and lose 70 games. Have fun.

ElNono
02-11-2018, 05:12 PM
Interesting. Funny how Kyle basically admitted he was not working hard and it was the contract year that motivated him now his family thinks he should get the ball and thinks he will do better elsewhere like some team will let him be Ben Simmons.

He'll never be more than a role player, tbh, so for him, it makes sense to cash out soon, go to a trash team where he can show off, and hopefully cash out again, IMO.

DPG21920
02-11-2018, 05:14 PM
He'll never be more than a role player, tbh, so for him, it makes sense to cash out soon, go to a trash team where he can show off, and hopefully cash out again, IMO.

Sure but that is not what his dad seems to be implying. It’s that Kyle should be running the offense.

ElNono
02-11-2018, 05:19 PM
Sure but that is not what his dad seems to be implying. It’s that Kyle should be running the offense.

Dad gonna dad, tbh...

daslicer
02-11-2018, 05:21 PM

If you want your son to have the ball in his hands every possession, go to phoenix and lose 70 games. Have fun.

Wow first rumors of Kawhi's uncle influencing him not to play for the Spurs and now Kyle's dad being open about wanting Kyle to leave the Spurs.

BatManu20
02-11-2018, 05:32 PM
I don't think Kyle is going anywhere, but if it does, I'm fairly certain it'll be to a bad team who overpays him and he will fade into obscurity.

dabom
02-11-2018, 05:39 PM
Spurs not gonna pay him. Been saying that for a long time.

daslicer
02-11-2018, 05:41 PM
There is a chance Lebron could stay in Cleveland. It all depends how the Cavs finish the season and what pick they get. If the Cavs go to the finals and end up with a top 3 pick I can see Lebron staying.

MaNu4Tres
02-11-2018, 05:48 PM

Kyles problem is he turns it over 25% of the time in the PnR. He's been the worst on the team in that department.

Mr. Body
02-11-2018, 05:59 PM
There is a chance Lebron could stay in Cleveland. It all depends how the Cavs finish the season and what pick they get. If the Cavs go to the finals and end up with a top 3 pick I can see Lebron staying.

They suddenly have a number of young, promising players.

daslicer
02-11-2018, 06:01 PM
They suddenly have a number of young, promising players.

Agreed. I have to see how they finish the season and the playoffs but the trade they made might be the reasons why Lebron doesn't leave.

UZER
02-11-2018, 06:11 PM
Wow first rumors of Kawhi's uncle influencing him not to play for the Spurs and now Kyle's dad being open about wanting Kyle to leave the Spurs.

People need to realize this isn't 2005 Spurs. The new generation is not as enamored with Pop as people think. This constant play and yank and no playoffs routine is old.

daslicer
02-11-2018, 06:22 PM
People need to realize this isn't 2005 Spurs. The new generation is not as enamored with Pop as people think. This constant play and yank and no playoffs routine is old.

I never thought players were enamored by Pop. I just find it annoying how family members are starting to become more influential when it comes to how these guy are being played. That to me is not just a Spurs issue but a generational issue. I don't recall back in the day hearing Dad's and Uncles openly bitching about how there adult son or nephew is being utilized.

sasaint
02-11-2018, 06:39 PM

In which case, LeBron will have been a genius for stating he would not waive his no-trade clause.

sasaint
02-11-2018, 06:43 PM
I never thought players were enamored by Pop. I just find it annoying how family members are starting to become more influential when it comes to how these guy are being played. That to me is not just a Spurs issue but a generational issue. I don't recall back in the day hearing Dad's and Uncles openly bitching about how there adult son or nephew is being utilized.

I never heard such junk in the old days, but it kinda begs the question: Did we not hear any of that stuff because none of the relatives made such comments or because media coverage was different/FAR less than what it is today?

SAGirl
02-11-2018, 06:50 PM
What ppl are missing here is that this is just a trend of Pop alienating his guys.

Let's not forget JSimms was open once he left the Spurs that he felt restricted and couldn't play freely for Pop.

Lee wanted to retire rather than come back.

Aldridge Asked to be traded. Pop admitted he overcoached him.

Now Kiwi's camp has made noise both about him not liking the Spurs summer moves (or lack thereof)... And who wouldn't? But his uncle as you said has become a voice separate from the Spurs on his behalf.

Danny has hired a new agent and is probably getting ready to shop himself around if the Spurs strongarm him.

I don't think Pop has the grip that he used to have on his players.

Bertans camp is quiet but I had doubts he'd want to be back as well. If it weren't for long term injuries to the Spurs frontcourt and Pau needing to come off the bench I even wondered if he would be gone after this season too. He wasn't even really playing until Rudy got injured.

Pop does have his pets players. Anyone who doesn't recognize it is just fooling themselves.

SAGirl
02-11-2018, 06:56 PM
Absolutely.

DPG21920
02-11-2018, 06:56 PM
What ppl are missing here is that this is just a trend of Pop alienating his guys.

Let's not forget JSimms was open once he left the Spurs that he felt restricted and couldn't play freely for Pop.

Lee wanted to retire rather than come back.

Aldridge Asked to be traded. Pop admitted he overcoached him.

Now Kiwi's camp has made noise both about him not liking the Spurs summer moves (or lack thereof)... And who wouldn't? But his uncle as you said has become a voice separate from the Spurs on his behalf.

Danny has hired a new agent and is probably getting ready to shop himself around if the Spurs strongarm him.

I don't think Pop has the grip that he used to have on his players.

Bertans camp is quiet but I had doubts he'd want to be back as well. If it weren't for long term injuries to the Spurs frontcourt and Pau needing to come off the bench I even wondered if he would be gone after this season too. He wasn't even really playing until Rudy got injured.

Pop does have his pets players. Anyone who doesn't recognize it is just fooling themselves.

Come on. LMA stayed. Kawhi will likely stay. Manu/TP both re-signed. Mills did too. Lebron publicly said Pop is the best coach.

There are way more counterpoints than your evidence here.

SAGirl
02-11-2018, 07:00 PM
I never heard such junk in the old days, but it kinda begs the question: Did we not hear any of that stuff because none of the relatives made such comments or because media coverage was different/FAR less than what it is today?
Tweeter and social media didn't exist back in the day.

DPG21920
02-11-2018, 07:00 PM
Oh and Danny stayed for less money too.

Not saying there aren’t ever issues but again perspective is truly needed here. Let’s see if Kawhi goes. All the other players don’t matter. He kept Tim/Manu/TP. Kept LMA. Let’s see if he keeps Kawhi.

SAGirl
02-11-2018, 07:05 PM
Come on. LMA stayed. Kawhi will likely stay. Manu/TP both re-signed. Mills did too. Lebron publicly said Pop is the best coach.

There are way more counterpoints than your evidence here.
Mills stayed bc he was overpaid. He didn't stay out of the goodness of his heart and he wasn't going to give hometown discounts. Tony and Manu are Pops culture gets at this stage. Ginobili got a 14 million one year deal too. He wasn't going to play for peanuts if he got a massive offer elsewhere.

LMA did ask to be traded let's talk homest. Spurs couldn't get value for him but they shopped him hard. Eventually Pop looked in the mirror and recognized where he went wrong with LMA. He said so. I am just pointing out a trend.

Pau and Mills both got juicy contracts so they aren't in this same category and Pop still plays them while they are sucking and finds them minutes bc he has to. Young players are held to a kind of double standard.

Not this season bc Spurs have had too many injuries.

daslicer
02-11-2018, 07:08 PM

I think it's probably a combination of both. I'm in my 30's so I'm not that old and to me it seems like a new phenomenon. I remember growing up the reason why players tended to want to leave teams was because they had beefs with the coach/teammates, undesirable location, or felt they were not getting paid enough money. Money usually was the biggest factor 90 percent of time and if the player was getting paid you rarely heard any complaints.

I remember reading a story this year about how Kyrie's father planted the seeds for Kyrie to leave Cleveland in a few years ago. Kyrie's dad felt back then that Lebron did not have Kyrie's best interests at heart and also believed Lebron held Kyrie back from being the best player he could be. He relayed that to Kyrie and eventually Kyrie forced his way out of there. Granted he could have still done it without his dad's influence but I believe his dad played huge role in that situation. I think social media has given these family members and relatives a bigger voice then what they would have ever had back then. Also I do believe it has to do with the generation. As part of the millennial generation I can say that it feels that for the most part even when people of my generation are successful that their parents still have a huge influence over their lives and careers. That didn't seem the case with previous generations.

dabom
02-11-2018, 07:13 PM
Someone mad fathead not gonna stay a Spur. :lol

sasaint
02-11-2018, 07:14 PM
Tweeter and social media didn't exist back in the day.

Hell, cable TV and ESPN! My day is further back than yours. :lol

SAGirl
02-11-2018, 07:16 PM
I think it's probably a combination of both. I'm in my 30's so I'm not that old and to me it seems like a new phenomenon. I remember growing up the reason why players tended to want to leave teams was because they had beefs with the coach/teammates, undesirable location, or felt they were not getting paid enough money. Money usually was the biggest factor 90 percent of time and if the player was getting paid you rarely heard any complaints.

I remember reading a story this year about how Kyrie's father planted the seeds for Kyrie to leave Cleveland in a few years ago. Kyrie's dad felt back then that Lebron did not have Kyrie's best interests at heart and also believed Lebron held Kyrie back from being the best player he could be. He relayed that to Kyrie and eventually Kyrie forced his way out of there. Granted he could have still done it without his dad's influence but I believe his dad played huge role in that situation. I think social media has given these family members and relatives a bigger voice then what they would have ever had back then. Also I do believe it has to do with the generation. As part of the millennial generation I can say that it feels that for the most part even when people of my generation are successful that their parents still have a huge influence over their lives and careers. That didn't seem the case with previous generations.
Interesting insight. :tu

Family members specially when guys are young (not talking about Manu, Tony and Pau here) do influence guys a lot.

Pop is probably going to have to get on Kiwi's uncle's good graces.

An interesting point that just came to mind. I remember Dejounte giving an interview and stating that Pops rotations with him and the fact he was benched for Tony and that at times he didn't know if he would be playing was very frustrating to him...

And that's only what comes out in public...

Down Under
02-11-2018, 07:17 PM
Hard to envisage given his improvement in his shot each season. Seemed more the reluctance to shoot.

r0drig0lac
02-11-2018, 07:17 PM
Oh and Danny stayed for less money too.

Not saying there aren’t ever issues but again perspective is truly needed here. Let’s see if Kawhi goes. All the other players don’t matter. He kept Tim/Manu/TP. Kept LMA. Let’s see if he keeps Kawhi.

I wish Pop thought the same way.

sasaint
02-11-2018, 07:20 PM
Someone mad fathead not gonna stay a Spur. :lol

Not sure whether I think it is a good thing or a bad thing, but I believe PATFO keep Kyle.

sasaint
02-11-2018, 07:27 PM
The theme here is Pop's being out of touch. He is just like Tom Landry (and others) back in the day. He stayed too long at the dance. It ain't a waltz no more.

dabom
02-11-2018, 07:39 PM
Not sure whether I think it is a good thing or a bad thing, but I believe PATFO keep Kyle.

He's gone.

SAGirl
02-12-2018, 12:45 AM

Kyle is naturally a low usage player and a lot of his scoring occurs from cuts and smart play.

But I would be concerned if I was him that Kyle really wasn't slated to have played very much at all this season had Kiwi been healthy. It's a concern Jsimms also shared, as you know.

I think it's fair for them to feel no reassurance whatsoever that they have a future with the team or that they would get opportunities to continue to grow and play regularly in the future.