PDA

View Full Version : Veterans want Spurs to stand pat at trade deadline

Amuseddaysleeper
02-08-2018, 02:35 PM
https://www.expressnews.com/spurs-nation/article/Veterans-want-Spurs-to-stand-pat-at-trade-deadline-12559951.php?utm_campaign=twitter-premium&utm_source=CMS%20Sharing%20Button&utm_medium=social

Some excerpts:

On the eve of the NBA trade deadline, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili indicated they would like to see the Spurs stand pat in the hope that Kawhi Leonard will return in time for the Spurs to get on a roll entering the playoffs.

“I think it is always good to stay intact,” Parker said Wednesday after the morning shootaround for the late night game with the Suns, the opener of the six-game rodeo road trip.

“We went to the conference finals last year, so the biggest thing for us is not a trade but to get Kawhi back,” Parker added.

Ginobili said he always prefers the Spurs pass on making a trade because of the pain involved with seeing a teammate depart.

“It’s always tough to see a teammate go unless he is willing to go,” Ginobili said. “There are some situations — it hasn’t happened very often with us — where somebody is very uncomfortable and wants to leave.

“But it is always painful when you see a teammate leaving. You create a bond, and you have been together for so long, and you are going to do your best with your guys. Sometimes it is going to be enough, sometimes it won’t. But it has a meaning to go through tough times and great times with the people you know and trust and you have grown used to playing with.”

Robz4000
02-08-2018, 02:36 PM
They don't want their friend 50Mills traded.

Amuseddaysleeper
02-08-2018, 02:36 PM
I originally read the headline as "Veterans want Spurs to send Pat at trade deadline" and got my hopes up :bang

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-08-2018, 02:41 PM
I originally read the headline as "Veterans want Spurs to send Pat at trade deadline" and got my hopes up :bang

:lol

I wish the Spurs would have corrected some of these contract mistakes...but no.

TimDunkem
02-08-2018, 02:43 PM
Old washed up vets want their old washed up friends to chill on the bench with them before they hit the beaches together early this summer.

HarlemHeat37
02-08-2018, 02:45 PM
Manu probably doesn't want Patty traded..Parker and Aldridge are terrified of a trade, though, anything that would take away touches:lol Aldridge is having the time of his life and TP's been eating very well off the bench..

cd98
02-08-2018, 02:47 PM
Tony expiring would have brought us something good. Oh well.

Seventyniner
02-08-2018, 02:54 PM
Standing pat is the right thing to do. I don't think any team was going to give up an asset for Patty and the Spurs likely weren't willing to attach one just to dump his contract.

loveforthegame
02-08-2018, 02:57 PM
The veterans know if you’re loyal you get paid.

Chomag
02-08-2018, 02:57 PM
The vets are near on their way out ... Somebody should have asked KL if he wants to continue pulling the slack of all these washed up scrubs for a couple more years.

Keepin' it real
02-08-2018, 03:01 PM
Standing pat is the right thing to do.

Sure, if you're the Warriors. For everyone else, you're playing catch-up and are not making up ground if you "stand pat."

sasaint
02-08-2018, 03:03 PM
Vets got their wish.

lebomb
02-08-2018, 03:04 PM
Fuck!!! We stood pat. :depressed

DMC
02-08-2018, 03:06 PM
They knew what was going to happen. It's like saying you want Trump to tweet something stupid and then blaming yourself when he does.

BG_Spurs_Fan
02-08-2018, 03:07 PM
Glad they didn't trade the 1st round pick.

UZER
02-08-2018, 03:13 PM
Of course. They're lazy like Pop now. It's all about comfort. Winning is not priority number one. It's just basketball.

Hoops Czar
02-08-2018, 03:13 PM
That's what friends are for. Contenders are trying to get better while the Spurs just want to keep the family together. With that said, the offseason did the Spurs in. They're not one or two players away where a single trade could tip the scales. This team has so much dead weight that either costs too much or virtually useless in every way imaginable. But you can see why RC Buford is a bottom of the barrel GM that has no business being in a position of power.

Snaq O'Meal
02-08-2018, 03:45 PM
Glad they didn't trade the 1st round pick.

I’m glad too. Now they can go out and draft the next LJC.

r0drig0lac
02-08-2018, 03:48 PM
what a joke

TheDoctor
02-08-2018, 03:48 PM
I’m glad too. Now they can go out and draft the next LJC.

Or the next CoJo instead of the next Jimmy Butler.

TheGreatYacht
02-08-2018, 03:49 PM
^ :lmao

TheDoctor
02-08-2018, 03:55 PM
^ :lmao

:lol And people here still saying:

"But But the need was a PG".
GTFO. About 5 years later they drafted the Salvadorean Jimmy Butler in Jaron Blossomgame smdh :pctoss

TheGreatYacht
02-08-2018, 03:57 PM
:lol And people here still saying:

"But But the need was a PG"

GTFO. About 5 years later they drafted the Salvadorean Jimmy Butler in Jaron Blossomgame smdh :pctoss
We don't always pass on euro bigs, but when we do (Jokic), we draft a black Luke Walton with a big head :lmao

DMC
02-08-2018, 04:00 PM
It doesn't really matter and wont for the foreseeable future, because of stacking in Oakland. There isn't enough talent on the trading block to push the Spurs over the GSW edge. Spurs only hope is to build chemistry and have the beautiful game again, but with that shit Pau was doing last night, I don't see it.

TheDoctor
02-08-2018, 04:00 PM
We don't always pass on euro bigs, but when we do (Jokic), we draft a black Luke Walton with a big head :lmao

:lmao:rollin:lmao

Hoops Czar
02-08-2018, 04:02 PM

:lmao

diego
02-08-2018, 04:06 PM
:cry poor kawhi, so hard to carry the team from the stands :cry so hard to win a ring and fmvp as the 3rd/4th most important player on your team :cry if only you had gone to a team with a good FO like the rockets or the thunder

SpurPadre
02-08-2018, 04:12 PM
The veterans already have their rings while the one vet who doesn't in LMA, has his beloved touches and so, for them, all is right with the world.

Darius Bieber
02-08-2018, 04:16 PM
Too bad we just won by 50. If we played the Warriors before the deadline and lost by 60+ then maybe this trash team would make a move.

SAGirl
02-08-2018, 04:22 PM
They don't want their friend 50Mills traded.
This... specially the Manu quote.
He was also quoted this past summer saying Fifty being back was a big reason why he didn't retire.

Dex
02-08-2018, 04:24 PM
Fuck!!! We stood pat. :depressed

Surprise surprise.

phxspurfan
02-08-2018, 04:32 PM
"please don't trade me I want to retire a Spur"

phxspurfan
02-08-2018, 04:35 PM
The vets are near on their way out ... Somebody should have asked KL if he wants to continue pulling the slack of all these washed up scrubs for a couple more years.

He won't. He will plant a trade demand via his uncle. Probably next year.

phxspurfan
02-08-2018, 04:37 PM

Walton could shoot the 3...

:depressed

DJR210
02-08-2018, 04:37 PM

bklynspursfan
02-08-2018, 10:05 PM
He was also quoted this past summer saying Fifty being back was a big reason why he didn't retire.

Timmy also was a big fan of Patty when he was here and wanted him around. We can say what we want, but lockeroom chemistry is important with these guys.

Contracts aside (everyone gets one where it's frustrating), they have been best when the chemistry is right and guys enjoy playing with/for one another

DPG21920
02-08-2018, 10:12 PM
Timmy also was a big fan of Patty when he was here and wanted him around. We can say what we want, but lockeroom chemistry is important with these guys.

Contracts aside (everyone gets one where it's frustrating), they have been best when the chemistry is right and guys enjoy playing with/for one another

Don’t know if I agree with that entirely. I mean, I think it’s good to have, but if your best player is like a Kawhi where chemistry seems to be an issue?

At some point it’s more about talent. Also, I don’t know how you can have great chemistry when your star does not seem to value that.

tholdren
02-08-2018, 10:52 PM

Good thing. Manu best player on team. Youre mad no other team wanted kyle

DPG21920
02-08-2018, 10:55 PM
It’s understandable why vets would say this. Not saying they don’t want to win, but they just don’t have that fire they used to. They want money and comfort. They also know that they would be the ones traded/impacted the most. So it stands to reason they would have this POV.

bklynspursfan
02-08-2018, 10:57 PM
Don’t know if I agree with that entirely. I mean, I think it’s good to have, but if your best player is like a Kawhi where chemistry seems to be an issue?

At some point it’s more about talent. Also, I don’t know how you can have great chemistry when your star does not seem to value that.

Yea I get that. I just mean if there aren't opportunities to really upgrade the talent, I can see why these guys wouldn't want to make significant changes. Like if they traded for LeBron and gave up several key lockeroom guys, I'm sure they'd understand the sacrifice. I mean they were upset/skeptical with the Hill/Leonard deal. It'd have to be a significant move

But like a Green/Bradley swap would've been Much different. And I'm not saying I totally agree either, (tho I get it for the most part) but the players have a different experience on/off the court than us as fans see/understand.

DPG21920
02-08-2018, 11:03 PM
Yea I get that. I just mean if there aren't opportunities to really upgrade the talent, I can see why these guys wouldn't want to make significant changes. Like if they traded for LeBron and gave up several key lockeroom guys, I'm sure they'd understand the sacrifice. I mean they were upset/skeptical with the Hill/Leonard deal. It'd have to be a significant move

But like a Green/Bradley swap would've been Much different. And I'm not saying I totally agree either, (tho I get it for the most part) but the players have a different experience on/off the court than us as fans see/understand.

I was on the hell no for Green for Bradley train. But the bigger thing is with regards to Mills who got a raise and is not elevating his game at all.

Also, the only thing that would irk me some (but more importantly I hope it does not irk Kawhi to the point he leaves) is would SA have been wiling to trade TP’s massive expiring to improve the team like CLE did to improve theirs?

r0drig0lac
02-09-2018, 04:31 AM
I was on the hell no for Green for Bradley train. But the bigger thing is with regards to Mills who got a raise and is not elevating his game at all.

Also, the only thing that would irk me some (but more importantly I hope it does not irk Kawhi to the point he leaves) is would SA have been wiling to trade TP’s massive expiring to improve the team like CLE did to improve theirs?

certainly not, completely different situation, Parker is not tradeable (he's part of the spurs culture, so in a sense it's fair)

diego
02-09-2018, 08:37 AM
It’s understandable why vets would say this. Not saying they don’t want to win, but they just don’t have that fire they used to. They want money and comfort. They also know that they would be the ones traded/impacted the most. So it stands to reason they would have this POV.

Money has nothing to do with it, they get paid no matter what/where.
Comfort is hard to define. Sure it's comfortable to not change. It's also comfortable to upgrade everything and out talent your opposition. Everyone who has been criticizing Durant for taking the easy way out, now they expect other players to have the same "join em" mentality. Manu said it very well, but it's essentially built /worked vs bought / showed up.
And with kawhi out its irrelevant anyway.

jermaine
02-09-2018, 08:47 AM
I wonder if the Spurs consult with Kawhi on who to sign an who not to pick up in buyouts?? If they don't, I'm sure they will now

TheDoctor
02-09-2018, 09:00 AM

That happens when you get paid for “past performances”(2014) and now there’s no pressure to perform.

TheDoctor
02-09-2018, 09:04 AM
Money has nothing to do with it, they get paid no matter what/where.
Comfort is hard to define. Sure it's comfortable to not change. It's also comfortable to upgrade everything and out talent your opposition. Everyone who has been criticizing Durant for taking the easy way out, now they expect other players to have the same "join em" mentality. Manu said it very well, but it's essentially built /worked vs bought / showed up.
And with kawhi out its irrelevant anyway.
You talking like if you were there. Money has everything to do with it. Even for Tim Duncan. Spurs still paying him (as they should).

Big Empty
02-09-2018, 09:34 AM
I think the Spurs know there isn't much of a chance this season. That's why Manu mentioned family and friends in current teammates. Win together and lose together. There isn't anyone we would have brought in that really would have made a difference. So for Manu, if this is his last season he wants to enjoy it with his long time teammates and close friends. Makes sense.

venitian navigator
02-09-2018, 10:37 AM
I think the Spurs know there isn't much of a chance this season. That's why Manu mentioned family and friends in current teammates. Win together and lose together. There isn't anyone we would have brought in that really would have made a difference. So for Manu, if this is his last season he wants to enjoy it with his long time teammates and close friends. Makes sense.

that could mean they are doubtful of having KL and RG at full strenght for the rest of the season...and in case they come back they're gonna be used in a very controlled way...
I frankly hope that's not the case and that the F.O. simply thinks that there wasn't a real deal to make... (the only one mentioned, Bradley for a first + Green was not a good one for us).

sasaint
02-09-2018, 10:54 AM
that could mean they are doubtful of having KL and RG at full strenght for the rest of the season...and in case they come back they're gonna be used in a very controlled way...
I frankly hope that's not the case and that the F.O. simply thinks that there wasn't a real deal to make... (the only one mentioned, Bradley for a first + Green was not a good one for us).

Actually at this juncture l am quite torn. I have been calling this The Lost Season for some time now. I don't know whether Kawhi and/or Rudy can really make much of a difference at this late date. And I would rather get both of them up to 100% before they have to play. If they come back on heavy minutes restrictions I doubt that the team can develop a good rhythm by the playoffs. On the other hand, if they are out until next pre-season, the team will be drafting in a much better position than they have since The Duncan draft (aside from the trade-up for Kawhi). This year would be a minor mini-tank (albeit unintentional).

diego
02-09-2018, 01:39 PM
You talking like if you were there. Money has everything to do with it. Even for Tim Duncan. Spurs still paying him (as they should).

How does a trade affect a players salary, please enlighten me. Contracts are guaranteed last I checked, at the most you could say if say Tp is salary dumped his next team won't give him another contract, but his current contract doesn't change. If you are good enough to play a team will offer a contract though, just look at guys like Vc or barea still playing small roles.

diego
02-09-2018, 01:41 PM
Also, you are stupid if you think Tp or Manu play for money. They play because they love it, it's the only thing they know, they care about their legacy etc. They are set for life and have income from different sources already setup

Keepin' it real
02-09-2018, 01:45 PM
Enough with this "culture" crap!!!

SpursforSix
02-09-2018, 01:55 PM
Also, you are stupid if you think Tp or Manu play for money. They play because they love it, it's the only thing they know, they care about their legacy etc. They are set for life and have income from different sources already setup

I disagree. Regardless of Parker's net worth, $44,000,000 is a lot of money. Not saying that he doesn't love basketball. But he's playing for money.

Even if he started hating basketball, he'd still play out the contract.

diego
02-09-2018, 02:22 PM
He signed that contract age 31 coming off 2ND team all nba. All-star, starting pg for a championship team. Top 6 in total minutes played for the first 3 years of the contract. He absolutely earned that contract, and if Tony keeps playing after this contract it will be because he loves to play, not because of the 5-10 million extra he will make

TheDoctor
02-09-2018, 02:34 PM
Still talking like if you were there or know their thinking.

spurs10
02-09-2018, 03:04 PM
I think their point was is they don’t know where they stand until Kawhi and Rudy return. Making trades based on them not returning is a totally different game.

spurraider21
02-09-2018, 03:48 PM
Walton could shoot the 3...

:depressed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lXpAS9zQNA

DPG21920
02-09-2018, 03:51 PM
How does a trade affect a players salary, please enlighten me. Contracts are guaranteed last I checked, at the most you could say if say Tp is salary dumped his next team won't give him another contract, but his current contract doesn't change. If you are good enough to play a team will offer a contract though, just look at guys like Vc or barea still playing small roles.

Trades dont impact their salaries. I was speaking to their mindset. Right now their decision making process on playing is money and comfort. They want to get paid (that does not mean they are bald people) and play with their close friends. Do they want to win? Sure. Is that more important than enjoying playing with their friends? I don’t think it does.

02-09-2018, 06:03 PM