PDA

View Full Version : Pop finally answering tough questions from the media...

ElNono
02-11-2018, 07:24 AM

dbestpro
02-11-2018, 08:10 AM
There are games where players are just going through the motions. This is one of those games. Pop seems to be losing the ability to make the team believe. Even the veterans are sort of giving up. The Spurs have always been about effort. We joke about Pop's off court fixations, but the team just does not seem totally focused on the game of basketball. It is sad that the 50 game win streak will probably end this year, in this way.

Chomag
02-11-2018, 08:44 AM
I feel Pop has completely lost the team, the players don't seen to even respond to him anymore.

I guess Pop's "it's just basketball" is finally setting in.

bklynspursfan
02-11-2018, 09:27 AM
Pop definitely lost the team. I mean what other excuse do they have for losing in GS without their MVP and 3 other rotational players? No reason they should've dropped this game

sananspursfan21
02-11-2018, 10:36 AM
I mean, last night seems like a poor reference for Pop losing the team. You might be right but using tonight as proof? It’s the Warriors. And the Spurs hung pretty tough a lot longer than anyone expected. It was inevitable that GS would pull away at some point.

sananspursfan21
02-11-2018, 10:38 AM
And for the record, PINOT NOIR IS DELICIOUS :whine

DMC
02-11-2018, 10:48 AM
There are games where players are just going through the motions. This is one of those games. Pop seems to be losing the ability to make the team believe. Even the veterans are sort of giving up. The Spurs have always been about effort. We joke about Pop's off court fixations, but the team just does not seem totally focused on the game of basketball. It is sad that the 50 game win streak will probably end this year, in this way.

the veterans are in need of retirement. LMA is the best player on the floor. Kawhi might not be back this season. What do you expect them to believe?

UZER
02-11-2018, 11:26 AM
the veterans are in need of retirement. LMA is the best player on the floor. Kawhi might not be back this season. What do you expect them to believe?

The coach is in need of retirement too.

DMC
02-11-2018, 11:50 AM
The coach is in need of retirement too.

He'll be 70 next year. I can't see him coaching much longer.

sasaint
02-11-2018, 11:52 AM

Any longer is too long.

John B
02-11-2018, 11:53 AM
Pop definitely lost the team. I mean what other excuse do they have for losing in GS without their MVP and 3 other rotational players? No reason they should've dropped this game
+++

DMC
02-11-2018, 11:56 AM
They are victims of their own system. They don't do poorly enough to convince fans that they don't have the talent needed to win. Their streak of 50 win seasons stretches over two decades. For this reason, their bar for "need to rebuild" isn't at the bottom of the standings like a Philly or Phoenix. Their's is at the bottom of the playoff seeding, or thereabouts.

When David was injured, the Spurs did so poorly they grabbed a 1st overall and Tim Duncan. They haven't been back there since. The system they use means they likely won't be back there until Gregg retires. Kawhi was the bridge to the next successful streak, however he might have other ideas. Not everyone who is quiet wants to be part of a small market franchise vs large one.

-21-
02-11-2018, 12:07 PM
I mean, last night seems like a poor reference for Pop losing the team. You might be right but using tonight as proof? It’s the Warriors. And the Spurs hung pretty tough a lot longer than anyone expected. It was inevitable that GS would pull away at some point. lol ikr

-21-
02-11-2018, 12:12 PM
EDIT: double post

-21-
02-11-2018, 12:16 PM
EDIT: triple post

tholdren
02-11-2018, 02:54 PM
They are victims of their own system. They don't do poorly enough to convince fans that they don't have the talent needed to win. Their streak of 50 win seasons stretches over two decades. For this reason, their bar for "need to rebuild" isn't at the bottom of the standings like a Philly or Phoenix. Their's is at the bottom of the playoff seeding, or thereabouts.

When David was injured, the Spurs did so poorly they grabbed a 1st overall and Tim Duncan. They haven't been back there since. The system they use means they likely won't be back there until Gregg retires. Kawhi was the bridge to the next successful streak, however he might have other ideas. Not everyone who is quiet wants to be part of a small market franchise vs large one.

Wtf? Kl never led the spurs to anything. He was gifted the fmvp because duncan was riding into the sunset and the nba wanted new blood for ratings. This is just the way the nba is today. Media hyped players that 99 percent of fans buy into.

Put klay thompson on spurs and they are 2nd in the west.

Ozballer
02-11-2018, 06:11 PM

Pop never really HAD the team. It was always Tim Duncan's squad. Obviously he had TD's attention. In losing his lieutenant on the pitch, it is different dynamics now, which i believe he is managing really well considering injuries and the amount of uncapped NBA players on the pitch. This roster managed by a different coach would be nowhere near 3rd place in the Western Conference.

Darius Bieber
02-11-2018, 06:21 PM
Fire Pop and bring in Quin Snyder or Brad Stevens or Rick Carlisle. Problem solved.

duncan2k5
02-11-2018, 06:49 PM
Wtf? Kl never led the spurs to anything. He was gifted the fmvp because duncan was riding into the sunset and the nba wanted new blood for ratings. This is just the way the nba is today. Media hyped players that 99 percent of fans buy into.

Who deserved it over Kawhi that series? Are u saying the NBA made Kawhi into the star he is today?

tholdren
02-11-2018, 07:52 PM
Who deserved it over Kawhi that series? Are u saying the NBA made Kawhi into the star he is today?
Tim tony manu.. tony was better offensively, manu was equal, and tim was a 15 10 guy with 2apg that series.

The nba makes their stars. You do realize this entertainment, right?

DieHardSpursFan1537
02-11-2018, 08:39 PM
Poop is gonna ride this train until Kawhi bails tbh

DMC
02-11-2018, 09:30 PM
Poop is gonna ride this train until Kawhi bails tbh

I wouldn't be surprised if he retires next year. At some point he's going to want to grow tomatoes.

vander
02-12-2018, 12:53 AM

I like that you're trying to be positive all the time, but it just isn't worth the effort man. Spurs aren't contending this year, the FO has made serious mistakes, and Kawhi might never be what we all hoped he would be.
there really isn't any reason to be aggressively positive.

Budkin
02-12-2018, 02:39 AM

This.

kobyz
02-12-2018, 06:25 AM
Would have been nice to tank the season and land the next Tim Duncan(per D-rob) in Marvin Bagley...

cjw
02-12-2018, 06:32 AM

Do the Warriors lose Klay in your hypothetical? Because if so, that’s a totally unfair parallel as you’ve weakened an opponent without any compensation. And if they don’t, do you really think spot up Klay is worth 9 more wins? And where do the Spurs sit with a healthy Kawhi?

And lol at being gifted Finals MVP. The dude shot 60% from the field and the series was such a blowout that he only has to average 33 minutes.

tholdren
02-12-2018, 06:46 AM
Do the Warriors lose Klay in your hypothetical? Because if so, that’s a totally unfair parallel as you’ve weakened an opponent without any compensation. And if they don’t, do you really think spot up Klay is worth 9 more wins? And where do the Spurs sit with a healthy Kawhi?

And lol at being gifted Finals MVP. The dude shot 60% from the field and the series was such a blowout that he only has to average 33 minutes.

Gifted. Klay is better

bklynspursfan
02-12-2018, 09:39 AM
I like that you're trying to be positive all the time, but it just isn't worth the effort man. Spurs aren't contending this year, the FO has made serious mistakes, and Kawhi might never be what we all hoped he would be.
there really isn't any reason to be aggressively positive.

It's been a frustrating season, but we still don't know what this team has. If right after the ASB Kawhi still isn't back, then screw it. We're a first round team without him, and maaaybe a surprise upset at best.

People can be upset at the FO for w/e moves they think should've been made or the contracts given, but at the end of the day, we haven't had a chance to see what this team can do. They've had a full lineup, what 2x this year?

There's no way anyone could've predicted this mess with Kawhi would be happening.

rjv
02-12-2018, 11:22 AM
only thing worse than the season the spurs are having is the season ST is having. definitely a lottery year for this site.

r0drig0lac
02-12-2018, 11:44 AM
Tim tony manu.. tony was better offensively, manu was equal, and tim was a 15 10 guy with 2apg that series.

The nba makes their stars. You do realize this entertainment, right?

delirious or hater

Amuseddaysleeper
02-12-2018, 11:54 AM
Fire Pop and bring in Quin Snyder or Brad Stevens or Rick Carlisle. Problem solved.

Brad Stevens would take on look at this roster and laugh his ass off :lmao

Darius Bieber
02-12-2018, 02:49 PM

Would probably cut 80% of the roster on day one, as he should. :lmao

TimDunkem
02-12-2018, 03:23 PM
Would probably cut 80% of the roster on day one, as he should. :lmao

Rank these coaches as of 2-12-2018 :

Quin Snyder
Brad Stevens
Rick Carlisle
Steve Kerr
Gregg Popovich

Darius Bieber
02-12-2018, 03:25 PM

Quin Snyder
Brad Stevens
Rick Carlisle
Steve Kerr
Gregg Popovich

1. Brad Stevens
2. Quin Snyder
3. Rick Carlisle
4. Steve Kerr
5. Ime Udoka
6. Becky Hammon
7. Phil Jackson's testicle
8. Pop

spurraider21
02-12-2018, 03:53 PM

Quin Snyder
Brad Stevens
Rick Carlisle
Steve Kerr
Gregg Popovich
Stevens
Pop
Carlisle
Snyder
Kerr

Seventyniner
02-12-2018, 04:37 PM
Stevens
Pop
Carlisle
Snyder
Kerr

I'd switch Kerr and Carlisle but I agree with the rest.

DMC
02-12-2018, 06:30 PM
Pop is still the best. He still does more with less. Brad Stevens is doing ok in the East but he got rid of a team cancer and picked up a great scorer in the process. Al Horford is no slouch.

The Celtics organization and name alone garner them praise from most people including me. The Paul Pierce facade was an embarrassment though, pretending he's better than Larry Legend. What the fuck is wrong with people?

DMC
02-12-2018, 06:36 PM
I'd switch Kerr and Carlisle but I agree with the rest.

Kerr made a good call early in his coaching career to have Steph actually take good shots instead of the high screen, 2 man game that relied solely on his ability to shoot 27' over a defender. He also got people to buy in on his system of sharing the ball. Prior to Kerr, the Warriors were dead lasts in number of passes before a shot. In their first year after Kerr, they moved up to 1st. So Kerr deserves credit for taking a high potential ticking time bomb and turning into a true championship juggernaut. Then he acquires Durant and it's all over now. So he's been lucky as hell to be part of that process, but he had a hand in getting past the stalemate that Mark Jackson brought about with his PG centric play style.

Otherwise, as far as coaching, Kerr was absent most of the time for most of the games he's given credit for winning. This shows the team can run without him. He's overrated.

Carlisle is a much better coach than Kerr is currently. Quinn has the fortune to have a lot of games in a place most teams don't want to play, much like Denver.

Ice009
02-12-2018, 07:26 PM
Pop is still the best. He still does more with less. Brad Stevens is doing ok in the East but he got rid of a team cancer and picked up a great scorer in the process. Al Horford is no slouch.

The Celtics organization and name alone garner them praise from most people including me. The Paul Pierce facade was an embarrassment though, pretending he's better than Larry Legend. What the fuck is wrong with people?

Who said Paul Pierce is better than Larry Bird? Care to fill me in on that?

spurraider21
02-12-2018, 07:32 PM
Kerr made a good call early in his coaching career to have Steph actually take good shots instead of the high screen, 2 man game that relied solely on his ability to shoot 27' over a defender. He also got people to buy in on his system of sharing the ball. Prior to Kerr, the Warriors were dead lasts in number of passes before a shot. In their first year after Kerr, they moved up to 1st. So Kerr deserves credit for taking a high potential ticking time bomb and turning into a true championship juggernaut. Then he acquires Durant and it's all over now. So he's been lucky as hell to be part of that process, but he had a hand in getting past the stalemate that Mark Jackson brought about with his PG centric play style.

Otherwise, as far as coaching, Kerr was absent most of the time for most of the games he's given credit for winning. This shows the team can run without him. He's overrated.

Carlisle is a much better coach than Kerr is currently. Quinn has the fortune to have a lot of games in a place most teams don't want to play, much like Denver.
Kerr also made the decision to thrust Draymond Green into a starting role. big reason for their improvement from the jackson days

offset formation
02-12-2018, 09:11 PM

:lmao

offset formation
02-12-2018, 09:15 PM

DMC
02-13-2018, 06:04 AM
Who said Paul Pierce is better than Larry Bird? Care to fill me in on that?

Chief

HarlemHeat37
02-13-2018, 12:22 PM
Kerr is far better suited to coach today's players than Pop, tbh..he allows his players to be themselves, they put up their numbers, they play however many minutes they want, he doesn't mind their celebrations and he doesn't berate them on national TV in an attempt to maintain an image..

I can't even imagine the Warriors, Rockets or LeBron wanting to play for Pop in an NBA setting..his coaching approach is so antiquated, I'm not surprised that he's had problems with both Aldridge and Kawhi..

TimDunkem
02-13-2018, 12:24 PM
Antiquated coach, antiquated players, antiquated system.

UZER
02-13-2018, 12:46 PM
Kerr is far better suited to coach today's players than Pop, tbh..he allows his players to be themselves, they put up their numbers, they play however many minutes they want, he doesn't mind their celebrations and he doesn't berate them on national TV in an attempt to maintain an image..

I can't even imagine the Warriors, Rockets or LeBron wanting to play for Pop in an NBA setting..his coaching approach is so antiquated, I'm not surprised that he's had problems with both Aldridge and Kawhi..

The worst part is, he hides behind "it's just basketball" when questioned on anything.

spurraider21
02-13-2018, 01:31 PM

it's easy to say that when he has the most stacked team in nba history. its easy to overcome a shitty/cancerous culture when the talent on the floor is so lopsided. its why the lakers were still winning with shaq and kobe publicly calling each other out.

kerr was a massive upgrade to mark jackson (didn't run anything resembling a system, didn't have the team commit to defense, didn't realize draymond green was actually an asset), but he's not in pop's stratosphere yet imho.

:lmao can you imagine kerr having to give big minutes to kyle anderson, dejounte murray, patty mills, danny green, etc...?

HarlemHeat37
02-13-2018, 01:46 PM
it's easy to say that when he has the most stacked team in nba history. its easy to overcome a shitty/cancerous culture when the talent on the floor is so lopsided. its why the lakers were still winning with shaq and kobe publicly calling each other out.

kerr was a massive upgrade to mark jackson (didn't run anything resembling a system, didn't have the team commit to defense, didn't realize draymond green was actually an asset), but he's not in pop's stratosphere yet imho.

:lmao can you imagine kerr having to give big minutes to kyle anderson, dejounte murray, patty mills, danny green, etc...?

The Warriors pre-Durant weren't historically talented, not even close, tbh..they were still the most dominant team since the 90s Bulls..

Their culture was a huge selling point for Durant..can you imagine Pop even having Draymond Green on his roster?:lol absolutely no chance..can you picture Pop allowing Curry to dance all over the floor? 0% chance..

They have fun and play free-spirited basketball, that's what millenials want and it's a significant part of their great chemistry..they aren't interested in some 70-year old man yelling at them, limiting their minutes and stats, and playing 90s basketball..

And I don't know if Kerr is a better coach, all I said was that he's much better suited to coach today's players..I don't even think that's arguable IMO..

TimDunkem
02-13-2018, 01:50 PM
They have fun and play free-spirited basketball, that's what millenials want and it's a significant part of their great chemistry..they aren't interested in some 70-year old man yelling at them, limiting their minutes and stats, and playing 90s basketball

Truth bomb, but still a radical concept to all the fluffers and "classy" burrito eaters here.

When people mention this team as a location FAs don't want to play for, the reason certainly isn't only about location...

SAGirl
02-13-2018, 02:10 PM

Good points.

outside of Timmy D, Pop’s old school style has been alienating the new generation of young players. He does like his foreign players perhaps bc they are used to other leagues where the coaching is said to be brutal.

He has however, been losing the plot with his American talent most of which are probably closeted diva personalities. It says something about the new generation I am sure, but it’s a player’s league and he has to get with the program more. He’s neutering guys at times. He does it to the young guys specially in the early stages of their careers when they are powerless and prone to struggles JSimms said you have to be really tough mentally to be able to play for Pop (not making this up) while others in the league are chilling at the club. He might have gotten an earful for doing the jet celebration after a dunk. He said he wanted to unleash the beast inside him. Maybe that just speaks to his comfort level. He felt restricted playing for Pop. Apparently Dedmon got in the doghouse never to come back out.

He does it go young stars when he puts them on minutes restrictions and management without need. Like they can’t play more than 30 minutes? Aside of “.touches” Aldridge complained about playing time. Kiwi has complained of Pop giving up on games early and benching guys with time still in the game... an underrated aspect of Kiwi being so aloof as that he really doesn’t want to talk. I am sure he must have his disagreements with Pop privately.

of corse he likes the cultures foreign players like Pau and Patty. Those guys will get a large share of the pie.

He admitted to overcoaching Aldridge to the point the only star he’s lured in 20 years wanted to leave. That’s ugly.

It’s no wonder many guys can’t be Spurs and the player’s give Pop lip service but don’t want to play for him really. They should be giving lip service not to Pop, but to the real Spurs, the one who take the disciplinarian’s coaching.

Got to Love Pop and what he’s accomplished but his recent track record with both stars and role players doesn’t give the impression he has a firm grasp with everyone unless they are cultured and foreign.

SAGirl
02-13-2018, 02:25 PM
That’s also an underrated aspect of playing for Pop. The system will always get the credit and players playing well are devalued. Heck Kiwi was just a roleplayer and perceived as not being as good as other stars just bc he played for Pop and his system. It took him time, more than a season even to get credibility as a legit superstar.

Many other coaches have put up good teams without HOF talent just based on competing hard every game. Carlisle does it almost every season (now they are tanking) but he’s put up teams out there with little talent with a lot of roster changes, that play well enough to win a decent number of games and being capable of upsetting any team on any given night. Pop meantime needs guys to learn the system for at least a full year b4 they can shine. Like they don’t know how to play basketball b4 Pop gets them.

Stevens is another one who had put together a very scrappy Boston team that didn’t have much talent until recently and no superstar until this season.

This notion Spurs players are trash is exclusively Spurs centric. Why would any superstar want to play here? They better do right by Kiwi and make things right. He’s the perfect Spur.

Leetonidas
02-13-2018, 02:28 PM
I like Stevens but he hasn't accomplished shit in the playoffs...all he's done is get good RS records out of teams by maximizing their talent....which sounds familiar. Pop has been a massive faggot this season for sure but acting like Stevens is some coaching God is asinine. And lmao at Carlisle, dude still living off the rep Dirk got him I see

cd98
02-13-2018, 02:55 PM

Brad Stevens and Quin Synder are hungry. Pop has been fed and is stuffed.

TD 21
02-13-2018, 05:18 PM

:lmao At the revisionist history and usual refusal to give a "black" coach an ounce of credit, while pretending a white coach is a genius.

Defensively, they went from 27th to 14th to 4th in Jackson's 3 seasons. Of course, getting Bogut was the biggest reason, but guess what? Curry transforming into the most impactful offensive player in the league and them stumbling into Green (Kerr admittedly had him penciled in as a backup combo forward for 10-15 mpg before Lee's injury paved the way for him to start at PF) were the biggest reasons for their offense becoming the best in the league.

I agree with Harlem, but Kerr's ego has gotten gargantuan the past few seasons and his shtick is played out (desperate to come off as innovative and likeable). Pop had the big 3 run huddles at various points, but of course Kerr will get the credit for this, with no backlash because his buddies in the media always have an excuse at the ready for him.

weeks
02-13-2018, 05:32 PM
Hey don't forget when you play for pop, your minutes will go down and your stats will AUTOMATICALLY suffer!

jermaine
02-13-2018, 05:32 PM
Pop moves to GM, Fizdale(however you spell his name) as head coach.. Or Becky

spurraider21
02-13-2018, 05:47 PM
:lmao At the revisionist history and usual refusal to give a "black" coach an ounce of credit, while pretending a white coach is a genius.

Defensively, they went from 27th to 14th to 4th in Jackson's 3 seasons. Of course, getting Bogut was the biggest reason, but guess what? Curry transforming into the most impactful offensive player in the league and them stumbling into Green (Kerr admittedly had him penciled in as a backup combo forward for 10-15 mpg before Lee's injury paved the way for him to start at PF) were the biggest reasons for their offense becoming the best in the league.

I agree with Harlem, but Kerr's ego has gotten gargantuan the past few seasons and his shtick is played out (desperate to come off as innovative and likeable). Pop had the big 3 run huddles at various points, but of course Kerr will get the credit for this, with no backlash because his buddies in the media always have an excuse at the ready for him.
yeah and then where did their defense go from 14th after Kerr took over? of course you spin it to me being a racist :lol... but their improvement from jackson to kerr is undeniable

UZER
02-13-2018, 06:03 PM
Pop moves to GM, Fizdale(however you spell his name) as head coach.. Or Becky

No. Pop needs to be done period. As llong as he's in the FO, the whole culture, resting, no blacks, rookies sit, will never go away.

TD 21
02-13-2018, 06:03 PM
yeah and then where did their defense go from 14th after Kerr took over? of course you spin it to me being a racist :lol... but their improvement from jackson to kerr is undeniable

:lmao At the lack of reading comprehension. I said they were 4th in Jackson's final season. For the most part, they've been even better since, but again, that was with Kerr stumbling into an elite defender being a 32-35 mpg starter.

I give Kerr some credit for initially improving their flow on offense, but post Durant, he doesn't deserve an ounce of credit.

From an X's an O's perspective, coaching is overrated post '15 because the league mostly plays a uniform style on both sides of the ball. It's funny, every time a team with a white coach adopts this style and their team supposedly overachieves, they're made out to be geniuses. When a team with a "black" coach does it, the players get the credit.

spurraider21
02-13-2018, 06:09 PM
:lmao At the lack of reading comprehension. I said they were 4th in Jackson's final season. For the most part, they've been even better since, but again, that was with Kerr stumbling into an elite defender being a 32-35 mpg starter.

I give Kerr some credit for initially improving their flow on offense, but post Durant, he doesn't deserve an ounce of credit.

From an X's an O's perspective, coaching is overrated post '15 because the league mostly plays a uniform style on both sides of the ball. It's funny, every time a team with a white coach adopts this style and their team supposedly overachieves, they're made out to be geniuses. When a team with a "black" coach does it, the players get the credit.
yep, i misread the post. stopped at 14th tbh. and i agree that any credit post-durant is dumb

their play improved leaps and bounds between jackson and kerr, though. i dont know that you can write that off as coincidence

TD 21
02-13-2018, 06:19 PM
their play improved leaps and bounds between jackson and kerr, though. i dont know that you can write that off as coincidence

:lmao At the lack of reading comprehension.

I give Kerr some credit for initially improving their flow on offense.

spurraider21
02-13-2018, 06:22 PM
cool. therefore im a racist not giving the black coach credit.

TheGreatYacht
04-05-2018, 12:36 AM
LMAOOOOO crater face just gave a 30 second speech to the media and walked off. Teflon Poop at it again