PDA

View Full Version : 46 wins, 7th seed, first round fodder, might as well get used to it

Rummpd
02-11-2018, 08:54 AM
Hope I am wrong, but this badly flawed and hurt team will not win between 46-48 wins games with the upcoming schedule, will be passed by several teams in the WC, it will get a low seed, and will be swept (or win at most one game) in the playoffs.

BG_Spurs_Fan
02-11-2018, 09:08 AM
Not bad for a team missing a top 5 player.

SPURt
02-11-2018, 09:11 AM
https://media.tenor.com/images/99f069c8e69cbee408dc04fbe4fa7637/tenor.gif

Ibleedslvrnblk
02-11-2018, 09:15 AM
You mean we cannot win forever??? Give me a team that has??? Be happy this team has done what it has and your not a Wizards/Raptors/Jazz/Knicks/Pistons the list goes on fan.

cd021
02-11-2018, 09:24 AM
Spurs are finishing 3rd and beating Portland/OKC/Denver/ New Orleans tbh.

Minnesota has a fairly hard remaining schedule; the rockets 3 times, @ Spurs, @Washington @ GSW, Boston, @ Phily @ Portland and @ Utah on a B2B ( games not in order). They already have 24 losses, I can see at least ten more.

TheDoctor
02-11-2018, 09:39 AM
Actually, I don’t mind the Spurs falling to the 6-8 position (for draft purposes). They won’t get HCA vs Golden Showers/Roxs anyway so... With Kawhi finally back (if that ever happens) I think this team will take any of the other Playoffs teams w/ HCA or not.

SPURt
02-11-2018, 09:46 AM
Actually, I don’t mind the Spurs falling to the 6-8 position (for draft purposes). They won’t get HCA vs Golden Showers/Roxs anyway so... With Kawhi finally back (if that ever happens) I think this team will take any of the other Playoffs teams w/ HCA or not.
This

-21-
02-11-2018, 01:03 PM
I don't understand why you guys are so sure that this team isn't gonna reach 50 wins. There's 25 games left. The Spurs have to go 15-10 which seems very doable. I know the remaining schedule is tough but 50 wins is still very possible imo.

You make a good point, as it stands right now the Spurs would be playing the Thunder in the first round. Yikes. If we're gonna lose early, I'd rather it be after getting a shot at the Warriors/Rockets. Unfortunately, even if the Spurs start losing a bunch of games I don't see anyone who can overtake them in the standings. Maybe I'm wrong but the lowest I can see this team falling is to 4th.

Ibleedslvrnblk
02-11-2018, 02:14 PM
Give us 7th seed and a healthy KL. It will be great taking out GSW/ROX in first round and having them implode because of it.

TimDunkem
02-11-2018, 02:16 PM
Give us 7th seed and a healthy KL. It will be great taking out GSW/ROX in first round and having them implode because of it.

Kawhi can't even wipe his own ass yet.

Robz4000
02-11-2018, 02:17 PM
Sounds about right.

Dex
02-11-2018, 02:20 PM
Spurs are on pace to have their worst season in 20 years...and still have the fifth best record in the league.

Que sera, sera.

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-11-2018, 04:58 PM
Whatever...

I'd rather have seen them have tank like they did the year before we drafted Duncan. LMA ruined that by carrying us to too many wins against shitty teams. The league is just too weak to allow us to lose like we should have been allowed to...sad.

DPG21920
02-11-2018, 04:59 PM
If SA can continue being a playoff team forever I would sign up for that right now :lol

We have teams that drop confetti for just getting to 50 wins. You know how rare that is?

Hoops Czar
02-11-2018, 05:00 PM
3rd in the west bitches!

DPG21920
02-11-2018, 05:03 PM
3rd in the west bitches!

What’s really funny about posters griping about schedule and being third is it feels like we’ve been saying “it will stop” for a while now. Yet? Here we are, still third seed. What about the mighty Thunder? How about those surging Wolves???

Some of you should watch nba outside of SA.

ElNono
02-11-2018, 05:04 PM
At some point Manu, Tony and Pau are not going to be able to keep going. If the gamble with the young kids doesn't pan out either, you're just going to have to rebuild (not on the flight).

It's risky territory. LMA and/or Kawhi might not want to be on a rebuilding team, and you can't really blame them...

Hoops Czar
02-11-2018, 05:05 PM
If SA can continue being a playoff team forever I would sign up for that right now :lol

We have teams that drop confetti for just getting to 50 wins. You know how rare that is?

2017 - 8/16 playoff teams won 50 games
2016 - 6/16 won 50 games
2015 - 10/16 won 50 games

Not very rare at all.

DPG21920
02-11-2018, 05:06 PM
2017 - 8/16 playoff teams won 50 games
2016 - 6/16 won 50 games
2015 - 10/16 won 50 games

Not very rare at all.

Wrong. So not only did HALF THE PLAYOFF teams most year not win 50, but look at it from an overall perspective in the league. Also how many teams have won 50 games let’s say 3 consecutive years in a given season.

TheGreatYacht
02-11-2018, 05:08 PM
Fucking estrogen posters in here okay with "letting someone else have a turn". Cuckold mentality but I'm not surprised coming from them betas

acoelho1
02-11-2018, 05:11 PM
I really hope Kawhi comes back soon to quiet all this Spurs are mediocre talk. This team can and will be elite if/when Kawhi comes back healthy. We will be a defensive juggarnaught that can take down the mighty Warriors and a lot people will have egg on their face.

Hoops Czar
02-11-2018, 05:12 PM
What’s really funny about posters griping about schedule and being third is it feels like we’ve been saying “it will stop” for a while now. Yet? Here we are, still third seed. What about the mighty Thunder? How about those surging Wolves???

It's more or less how the PATFO wrecked the team's future with paying huge money to overpriced scrubs rather than a short and sweet rebuild. When the Spurs hit rock bottom, there is a good chance they stay there for s long time unless they make some monumental changes to how they draft and hand out cookie contracts to undeserving players. This is suppose to be a business, not a family reunion.

Amuseddaysleeper
02-11-2018, 05:12 PM
Would love to clean house completely this summer. Hit a hard reset on this entire roster.

DPG21920
02-11-2018, 05:13 PM
I really hope Kawhi comes back soon to quiet all this Spurs are mediocre talk. This team can and will be elite if/when Kawhi comes back healthy. We will be a defensive juggarnaught that can take down the mighty Warriors and a lot people will have egg on their face.

I think most people know the Spurs are damn good if Kawhi is back. That won’t change the fact that Pau/Mills probably were not worth the money for the amount they will actually contribute to the winning

DPG21920
02-11-2018, 05:13 PM
Would love to clean house completely this summer. Hit a hard reset on this entire roster.

You are foolish (IMVHO)

daslicer
02-11-2018, 05:15 PM

Agreed. Outside of the Spurs I follow the Hornets who are my home team. The last time they won 50 games was back in '98 which was 20 years ago. Spurs fans are spoiled they don't know how hard it is to get 50 wins in this league.

TimDunkem
02-11-2018, 05:16 PM
I think most people know the Spurs are damn good if Kawhi is back. That won’t change the fact that Pau/Mills probably were not worth the money for the amount they will actually contribute to the winning

If Kawhi and Gay both come back and this roster somehow rings, it will be in spite of trash like Mills and Gasol.

ducks
02-11-2018, 05:20 PM
Hope I am wrong, but this badly flawed and hurt team will not win between 46-48 wins games with the upcoming schedule, will be passed by several teams in the WC, it will get a low seed, and will be swept (or win at most one game) in the playoffs.

Most here were wrong with the election also

Crazymaddopeyo
02-11-2018, 05:23 PM
Could be worse, you could be a Bulls fan or a Nets fan

Hoops Czar
02-11-2018, 05:27 PM
Could be worse, you could be a Bulls fan or a Nets fan

Could be worse, you could be 4th in the west bitches!

3rd in the west but only 4 GB of the ninth seeded Clippers.

DPG21920
02-11-2018, 05:30 PM
Could be worse, you could be 4th in the west bitches!

:lmao Timberwolves stacked roster fully healthy

TheGreatYacht
02-11-2018, 05:34 PM
Do these 4'8 fluffers know we're 4 losses away from the 9th seeded Clippers? :lol man I can't wait to bump some posts a month from now

Hoops Czar
02-11-2018, 05:35 PM
:lmao Timberwolves stacked roster fully healthy

:lol true Dat.. . However, the Spurs are only 4 GB of the 9th seeded Clippers with the leagues toughest schedule still to come so they're not out of the woods yet.

DPG21920
02-11-2018, 05:36 PM
Do these 4'8 fluffers know we're 4 losses away from the 9th seeded Clippers? :lol man I can't wait to bump some posts a month from now

So where is Minny and OKC compared to the 9th seed Clippers? Why have they not been able to catch SA with their teams being pretty much fully healthy the vast majority of the year?

Robz4000
02-11-2018, 05:43 PM
So where is Minny and OKC compared to the 9th seed Clippers? Why have they not been able to catch SA with their teams being pretty much fully healthy the vast majority of the year?

Having tougher schedules. They lost to mediocre teams just like the Spurs, but they've had to play more playoff teams than the Spurs.

DPG21920
02-11-2018, 05:44 PM
Having tougher schedules. They lost to mediocre teams just like the Spurs, but they've had to play more playoff teams than the Spurs.

Please. The difference statistically over the course of a season with SRS is usually accounted for in 2-3 wins mathematically. So when you factor in not having Kawhi??? That is a way bigger statistical impact than SRS.

Not to mention that SOS has started to even out between OKC/Minny/SA

benefactor
02-11-2018, 05:47 PM
Sup OP. How's the wife?

TDomination
02-11-2018, 06:01 PM
Interestingly enough:

In 2014-15 we were 34-23, one game worse then we are now.

In 2009-10 (worst year in duncan era) we were 33-24, two games worse then we are now.

I seriously don't know how we have the record that we have, it feels like were a lottery team. But we're not and were 3rd seed. Well see how this season plays out.

I believe well still reach 50 wins.

Robz4000
02-11-2018, 06:02 PM
Please. The difference statistically over the course of a season with SRS is usually accounted for in 2-3 wins mathematically. So when you factor in not having Kawhi??? That is a way bigger statistical impact than SRS.

Not to mention that SOS has started to even out between OKC/Minny/SA

I agree that if Kawhi comes back relatively soon the Spurs will be fine in the standings (don't think they beat OKC in a series), but without Kawhi I'm not sure how you can argue for the Spurs staying at the three seed.

daslicer
02-11-2018, 06:03 PM
Interestingly enough:

In 2014-15 we were 34-23, one game worse then we are now.

In 2009-10 (worst year in duncan era) we were 33-24, two games worse then we are now.

I seriously don't know how we have the record that we have, it feels like were a lottery team. But we're not and were 3rd seed. Well see how this season plays out.

I believe well still reach 50 wins.

I believe the spurs can play .500 ball for the rest of the year but to get to 50 they will have to have at least a 5-6 game win streak which is something I'm not sure if this team is capable of doing right now.

DPG21920
02-11-2018, 06:03 PM
I agree that if Kawhi comes back relatively soon the Spurs will be fine in the standings (don't think they beat OKC in a series), but without Kawhi I'm not sure how you can argue for the Spurs staying at the three seed.

I’m not arguing that. I’m arguing how people can drool over OKC and the Wolves and knock the Spurs using silly things like SOS when OKC/Minny have been fully healthy and can’t catch SA.

Robz4000
02-11-2018, 06:06 PM
I’m not arguing that. I’m arguing how people can drool over OKC and the Wolves and knock the Spurs using silly things like SOS when OKC/Minny have been fully healthy and can’t catch SA.

To be fair, they had to integrate a lot of new significant pieces early on which impacted their records. Not sure what's up with them now but I really think it's likely they leapfrog the Spurs between now and the end of the season if Kawhi doesn't return. You can dismiss the schedule all you want but it's daunting as hell.

DPG21920
02-11-2018, 06:09 PM
To be fair, they had to integrate a lot of new significant pieces early on which impacted their records. Not sure what's up with them now but I really think it's likely they leapfrog the Spurs between now and the end of the season if Kawhi doesn't return. You can dismiss the schedule all you want but it's daunting as hell.

Well cool. A fully healthy team for the Wolves SHOULD leapfrog SA without Kawhi. I don’t see how that is a revelation.

And I’m not dismissing schedule. I’m giving you context to what SOS means. Not only is that evening out now (not a huge difference any more in SOS between OKC/Minny/SA) but it’s been shown to have a 2-3 game impact over the course of season.

Darius Bieber
02-11-2018, 06:22 PM
I'd rather us get a lottery pick and tank. This season is over, everybody knows it.

Hoops Czar
02-11-2018, 06:22 PM
Well cool. A fully healthy team for the Wolves SHOULD leapfrog SA without Kawhi. I don’t see how that is a revelation.

And I’m not dismissing schedule. I’m giving you context to what SOS means. Not only is that evening out now (not a huge difference any more in SOS between OKC/Minny/SA) but it’s been shown to have a 2-3 game impact over the course of season.

Posters keep mentioning Kawhi but forget that they still have all star Aldridge and Kyle Anderson on the roster. What would it say about their legacies if the Spurs somehow miss the playoffs and it's plausible given the fact that they sit just 4 games back of the 9th seeded Clippers in the loss column and they still have the NBA's toughest schedule ahead of them? They only play 5 non playoff teams the rest of the way and one of those is an April showdown against the Clippers on the road.

sasaint
02-11-2018, 06:29 PM
I'd rather us get a lottery pick and tank. This season is over, everybody knows it.

Too late for that. This The Lost Season - for many reasons. Question: Do you think that Pop would actually tank? Legit question. I can't make up my mind.

DPG21920
02-11-2018, 06:29 PM
Posters keep mentioning Kawhi but forget that they still have all star Aldridge and Kyle Anderson on the roster. What would it say about their legacies if the Spurs somehow miss the playoffs and it's plausible given the fact that they sit just 4 games back of the Clippers in the loss column and they still have the NBA's toughest schedule ahead of them? They only play 5 non playoff teams the rest of the way and one of those is an April showdown against the Clippers on the road.

Bruh, one all-star is not a lot. OKC has 2 and they are behind SA and closer to Clippers than SA is. Wolves added a ton of big name players and they are closer to LAC.

They SHOULD be ahead of SA and the fact that they have not yet caught them with only 25 games is not a reason to knock SA or find a way to break them down. It’s a testimony to how well they have played.

It should not last and should not be an I told you so. Everyone knows SA without Kawhi is worse than fully healthy teams in the West that are damn good teams.

Im not sure why this is is so difficult to comprehend

Darius Bieber
02-11-2018, 06:36 PM
Too late for that. This The Lost Season - for many reasons. Question: Do you think that Pop would actually tank? Legit question. I can't make up my mind.

I wish he would - in fact, he might be doing it involuntarily by us losing all these hard games at the end of the season. We're only 7 games away from missing the playoffs.

Hoops Czar
02-11-2018, 06:43 PM
Bruh, one all-star is not a lot. OKC has 2 and they are behind SA and closer to Clippers than SA is. Wolves added a ton of big name players and they are closer to LAC.

THOULD be ahead of SA and the fact that they have not yet caught them with only 25 games is not a reason to knock SA or find a way to break them down. It’s a testimony to how well they have played.

It should not last and should not be an I told you so. Everyone knows SA without Kawhi is worse than fully healthy teams in the West that are damn good teams.

Im not sure why this is is so difficult to comprehend

They're only 5-4 with Kawhi and that includes embarrassing losses to Dallas and a severely depleted Detroit team. Why is it so hard to admit this team was poorly constructed and that's the real reason they're struggling? 13-4 the last two seasons without Leonard and a double digit PD. This year, every win is like pulling teeth.

DPG21920
02-11-2018, 06:46 PM
They're only 5-4 with Kawhi and that includes embarrassing losses to Dallas and a severely depleted Detroit team. Why is it so hard to admit this team was poorly constructed and that's the real reason they're struggling? 13-4 the last two seasons without Leonard and a double digit PD. This year, every win is like pulling teeth.

They are struggling? They are 5th in the league in point differential, have led by double digits in nearly 60% of their games, have one of the best home records and are third in the West.

Hoops Czar
02-11-2018, 06:50 PM
They are struggling? They are 5th in the league in point differential, have led by double digits in nearly 60% of their games, have one of the best home records and are third in the West.

They've one two games in a row twice in 2018 and they had to hold their collective breathe against Denver at home in order to do it.

sasaint
02-11-2018, 06:51 PM
I wish he would - in fact, he might be doing it involuntarily by us losing all these hard games at the end of the season. We're only 7 games away from missing the playoffs.

Before the season started I thought maintaining the 50-game win streak would be a reasonable goal for this team. Now I think the odds are slightly against our reaching 50 wins. Either way, the Spurs are going to get a draft pick that is a few picks higher than usual which isn't much. To win 48-49 games and lose the streak with this team under these circumstances would be incredibly and sadly ironic.

DPG21920
02-11-2018, 06:52 PM
They've one two games in a row once in 2018 and they had to hold their collective breathe against Denver at home in order to do it.

Ok - how does that change everything else. I’m not saying it’s been easy, but everything is relative. What does it matter if you win 2 in a row or 5 if you go 5-5 over a ten game sample?

By your logic only like 2-3 teams have done well which we know is silly.

vy65
02-11-2018, 06:55 PM
Unless you think the spurs with Gay and Kawhi beat GSW, this thread and 3rd!! are fucking idiotic and pointless We used to mock the mavs for regular season championships. Now spurs fans are gloating about third.

You mold a roster with a healthy Kawhi and refocused LMA to be a serious contender. Complaining about where the 2-8 seeds fall with a healthy Kawhi/Gay is just rearranging deck chairs on the titantic

Hoops Czar
02-11-2018, 07:04 PM
Ok - how does that change everything else. I’m not saying it’s been easy, but everything is relative. What does it matter if you win 2 in a row or 5 if you go 5-5 over a ten game sample?

By your logic only like 2-3 teams have done well which we know is silly.

Well, the Spurs are 10-11 since Dec. 30th. And they've had the second easiest schedule in the NBA (thanks Washington). That's struggling in my book. Point differential can be a little misleading when two of your wins are by 48 (Phoenix) and 39 (Chicago) points.

Keepin' it real
02-11-2018, 07:09 PM
Ok, I'm used to it.

Keepin' it real
02-11-2018, 07:13 PM
Most here were wrong with the election also

Yay, politics! At least we can all agree on something.

vy65
02-11-2018, 07:16 PM
Golden State wins but have cultivated a questionable culture
Winning isn’t everything.

https://www.poundingtherock.com/2018/2/11/17000500/golden-state-warriors-nba-win-games-cultivated-questionable-culture-beat-san-antonio-spurs

Good god ...

r0drig0lac
02-11-2018, 07:22 PM
Well, the Spurs are 10-11 since Dec. 30th. And they've had the second easiest schedule in the NBA (thanks Washington). That's struggling in my book. Point differential can be a little misleading when two of your wins are by 48 (Phoenix) and 39 (Chicago) points.
facts

https://www.poundingtherock.com/2018/2/11/17000500/golden-state-warriors-nba-win-games-cultivated-questionable-culture-beat-san-antonio-spurs

Good god ...
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif

DPG21920
02-11-2018, 07:23 PM
facts

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif

So then all the teams you like better than SA are struggling too, no?

r0drig0lac
02-11-2018, 07:24 PM
So then all the teams you like better than SA are struggling too, no?

I only care about spurs, I dont give a fuck about the general mediocrity of the nba, I compare the spurs in terms of roster with the elite and not with the teams below, the front office can not continue to distribute "culture contracts", keeping players who can not play against the best teams in the league each season

Hoops Czar
02-11-2018, 07:27 PM

Good god ...
I want the 5 minutes of my life back I spent reading that. Total rubbish. :lol

ElNono
02-11-2018, 07:27 PM

Good god ...

:lmao

DPG21920
02-11-2018, 07:28 PM
LMA/Kawhi/Rudy all out against UTA. TP/Murray questionable.

vy65
02-11-2018, 07:29 PM
I want the 5 minutes of my life back I spent reading that. Total rubbish. :lol

Culture > championships.

Spurs fans have become a caricature of themselves.

I will give the article props for bringing :cry classy :cry back.

Det Fatty Mills contract has to be the classiest one in the league

Hoops Czar
02-11-2018, 07:31 PM
LMA/Kawhi/Rudy all out against UTA. TP/Murray questionable.

And then you have a head coach that's more interested in moral victories than actual victories. Totally disgraceful! Two more games followed by 10 days off and he's resting players.

TheGreatYacht
02-11-2018, 07:37 PM

Good god ...
The writer of this article has 34 followers and follows like 60 people. Pounding the Cock is literally hiring hobos to write for them.

vy65
02-11-2018, 07:40 PM
The writer of this article has 34 followers and follows like 60 people. Pounding the Cock is literally hiring hobos to write for them.

Whatever, you know this shit gets gobbled up by the burrito chomping masses

DPG21920
02-11-2018, 07:42 PM
Minny down to the King early. Would be a massive loss for Minny and really helpful for SA if it holds.

dabom
02-11-2018, 07:45 PM
DPG owning some bitches. :lol

vander
02-12-2018, 12:16 AM

the only thing that really needs to be fixed is Mills, TP/Green/Bertans/Kyle/Forbes are all worth keeping at the right price and Gasol only has one guaranteed year left right?

cleaning house is what bad teams do, and then they do it again, and again...

tholdren
02-12-2018, 12:21 AM
shameful

Why? Do you comprehend this?

Ice009
02-12-2018, 01:00 AM

What you're failing to understand is that this year would have been more like '96/'97. I don't know how old you are or if you were even around back then, but we all knew the next year that the Spurs would be good again.

Not making the playoffs this year doesn't mean were going to miss them 2-10 years in a row. As long as Kawhi is still on the team and comes back healthy next year, we'll be right back to being an outside title contender again, but with the added bonus of having a much better draft pick to add to that.

The other example I always think back to, that really pissed me off a few years after it happened, is when the Lakers missed the playoffs in one of Kobe's prime seasons and got Andrew Bynum out of it (who ended up being a key piece that helped them win two more Championships).

Who gives a fuck about the streak. TD isn't here anymore. All those records and streaks were his. If TD was still here, I'd want the streak to continue because I want people to see how great he was and all the hard work he put in, but now that he's gone, I don't care about the streak much at all. I look at it like the Lakers with a prime Kobe after Shaq left. The Spurs need more talent if they're going to be a serious title contender again, and the best way to get that is getting a higher pick than they would normally, possibly even a lottery pick as that would go a long way towards helping them get back to true title contention.

SAGirl
02-12-2018, 01:12 AM
the only thing that really needs to be fixed is Mills, TP/Green/Bertans/Kyle/Forbes are all worth keeping at the right price and Gasol only has one guaranteed year left right?

cleaning house is what bad teams do, and then they do it again, and again...
good take... and they never stop.
Not only that, some give up on young talent before they have enough time to fully develop and blossom.. like the Magic shipping off Oladipo more recently, among many other young players they have given up on... to recycle and stay right where they are at...

daslicer
02-12-2018, 01:23 AM
What you're failing to understand is that this year would have been more like '96/'97. I don't know how old you are or if you were even around back then, but we all knew the next year that the Spurs would be good again.

Not making the playoffs this year doesn't mean were going to miss them 2-10 years in a row. As long as Kawhi is still on the team and comes back healthy next year, we'll be right back to being an outside title contender again, but with the added bonus of having a much better draft pick to add to that.

The other example I always think back to, that really pissed me off a few years after it happened, is when the Lakers missed the playoffs in one of Kobe's prime seasons and got Andrew Bynum out of it (who ended up being a key piece that helped them win two more Championships).

Who gives a fuck about the streak. TD isn't here anymore. All those records and streaks were his. If TD was still here, I'd want the streak to continue because I want people to see how great he was and all the hard work he put in, but now that he's gone, I don't care about the streak much at all. I look at it like the Lakers with a prime Kobe after Shaq left. The Spurs need more talent if they're going to be a serious title contender again, and the best way to get that is getting a higher pick than they would normally, possibly even a lottery pick as that would go a long way towards helping them get back to true title contention.

It's too late for the Spurs to get a good pick by tanking. This team could play very poor basketball and still finish the season at worst with 40-41 wins. Even if they try to tank they are going to win 5-6 games simply by accident which will cause them to finish the season around 40-41 wins. If the Spurs miss the playoffs they would have the best record out of all the lottery teams which means they would be selecting the 14 pick. It's not guaranteed they would get a great prospect at that position granted they got Kawhi at number 15 several years ago. If you wanted this season to be like '96-'97 LMA would have had to also sit out the whole entire year. LMA is showing that he's good enough by himself to win 40 some games.

Ice009
02-12-2018, 01:45 AM
It's too late for the Spurs to get a good pick by tanking. This team could play very poor basketball and still finish the season at worst with 40-41 wins. Even if they try to tank they are going to win 5-6 games simply by accident which will cause them to finish the season around 40-41 wins. If the Spurs miss the playoffs they would have the best record out of all the lottery teams which means they would be selecting the 14 pick. It's not guaranteed they would get a great prospect at that position granted they got Kawhi at number 15 several years ago. If you wanted this season to be like '96-'97 LMA would have had to also sit out the whole entire year. LMA is showing that he's good enough by himself to win 40 some games.

True about difference between '96/'97, but I still think a pick at number 14 would be much better than what they've currently been getting. Donovan Mitchell was just drafted at number 13, Kawhi at number 15, so you can still get good players that late in the lottery. The potential for a good player is much higher there than it is at number 27-29 where the Spurs normally pick.

And I'm only advocating missing the playoffs for one year if it's an injury riddled one like this one seems to be so far. I certainly don't want a full rebuild. I still want to keep Kawhi. I just want to try and get a young talent which the Spurs can't get from free agency. They need a higher pick to be able to do that.

DPG21920
02-12-2018, 09:30 AM

I’m not failing to understand anything. I took this thread to mean sort of into perpetuity and that I would be happy if moving forward basically forever if SA was “just” a playoff team.

Ice009
02-12-2018, 09:53 AM
I’m not failing to understand anything. I took this thread to mean sort of into perpetuity and that I would be happy if moving forward basically forever if SA was “just” a playoff team.

OK, so you don't want to miss one playoff year even if it means a high pick? Is that pretty much your stance?

tbdog
02-12-2018, 09:59 AM
Higher pick. Not a high pick. Doesn't not guarantee success. It was two drafts ago that I think not one rookie started. You tank and create a losing culture, is big risk for a non guarantee rookie.

DPG21920
02-12-2018, 01:14 PM
OK, so you don't want to miss one playoff year even if it means a high pick? Is that pretty much your stance?

My stance on one year (this year, which is not the point of the thread from my understanding) is that SA is too far into being a lock for the playoffs to try and “tank” now. Besides anything else, the revenue generated from being a playoff team is pretty big.

I would rather be in the playoffs this year and have that mean the pick is a few picks worse than miss now when SA is the third seed for basically the entire season.

To this thread, and the main point, if the mindset is “well get ready after Tim/Manu/Tp to “just” be a playoff team consistently I will sign on the dotted line right now.

SAGirl
02-12-2018, 05:27 PM
they are very unlikely to win 50 this year.
Aldridge is sitting out the next couple of games with a bum knee that he needs to get treatment for and after the ASB even if they get everyone they expect back, their schedule is brutal and would have to be reintegrating guys into the rotation.

Rummpd
02-13-2018, 05:11 PM
Maybe 46 was too optimistic? This team is too beat up, too mentally soft, too badly constructed, and too poorly coached (by a HOF legend) to be anything more than a team on the downslope of a poor year. Unless KL man's up and emerges somehow as a superstar should - turn out the lights.

objective
02-13-2018, 05:51 PM
My stance on one year (this year, which is not the point of the thread from my understanding) is that SA is too far into being a lock for the playoffs to try and “tank” now. Besides anything else, the revenue generated from being a playoff team is pretty big.

I would rather be in the playoffs this year and have that mean the pick is a few picks worse than miss now when SA is the third seed for basically the entire season.

To this thread, and the main point, if the mindset is “well get ready after Tim/Manu/Tp to “just” be a playoff team consistently I will sign on the dotted line right now.

Hell, even being the 8th seed in the west would mean a pick around what, 15-19? I'll take that.

Give me an upfront no bull do or die matchup with Golden State early and a pick in position to take a contributor like Jarrett Allen or Anunoby etc. I'd rather that than s slog to get the 4 or 5 seed and pick 23 or 24 just to put off the inevitable.

DPG21920
02-13-2018, 06:53 PM
Maybe 46 was too optimistic? This team is too beat up, too mentally soft, too badly constructed, and too poorly coached (by a HOF legend) to be anything more than a team on the downslope of a poor year. Unless KL man's up and emerges somehow as a superstar should - turn out the lights.

Dude -what? They melted down in the last few minutes, but they have been fighting hard outside of a few moments where they came out flat in the first half.

They aren’t soft. They aren’t poorly coached - it’s amazing they are in this position with a team that you claim is poorly constructed.

You can’t be a poorly constructed, mentally soft team that is also beat up and be poorly coached with this record. I’m sorry. It’s not possible.

baseline bum
02-13-2018, 06:57 PM
Kawhi can't even wipe his own ass yet.

:lol

baseline bum
02-13-2018, 06:59 PM

9-seed wouldn't be too bad tbh if Kawhi's season is done (and it sure looks that way).

baseline bum
02-13-2018, 07:00 PM
Sup OP. How's the wife?

She was good

baseline bum
02-13-2018, 07:05 PM

Good god ...

Whining about class and then cheap shots. This motherfucker too young to remember Bruce Bowen and Robert Horry? :lol

vander
02-13-2018, 07:21 PM
Hell, even being the 8th seed in the west would mean a pick around what, 15-19? I'll take that.

Give me an upfront no bull do or die matchup with Golden State early and a pick in position to take a contributor like Jarrett Allen or Anunoby etc. I'd rather that than s slog to get the 4 or 5 seed and pick 23 or 24 just to put off the inevitable.

I really want the 50 win streak to continue, but I also like the idea of a first round match-up against GS. If nothing else, Spurs will make it tougher on that disgrace to humanity

baseline bum
02-13-2018, 07:24 PM
I really want the 50 win streak to continue, but I also like the idea of a first round match-up against GS. If nothing else, Spurs will make it tougher on that disgrace to humanity

They didn't make it very tough last year. With Duncan retired and Kawhi out for the season I wouldn't mind seeing the team miss the playoffs to land a better pick, though that's a hell of a long shot even as terrible as they have looked.

vander
02-13-2018, 07:28 PM
They didn't make it very tough last year. With Duncan retired and Kawhi out for the season I wouldn't mind seeing the team miss the playoffs to land a better pick, though that's a hell of a long shot even as terrible as they have looked.

well I'm assuming Kawhi comes back and is about 90%. he should at least be able to make 3 pointers, something no one else on the roster can do

baseline bum
02-13-2018, 07:44 PM
well I'm assuming Kawhi comes back and is about 90%. he should at least be able to make 3 pointers, something no one else on the roster can do

I don't know man, 90% seems really optimistic with only 23 games left after the AS break and no clue how close Kawhi is to return. If he isn't back and looking good by March the team probably needs to pull the plug on the season.

Hoops Czar
02-13-2018, 07:57 PM
I mean, did the FO even bother to scout Laughverne and BP3 before signing them to replace Dedmon and Simmons? How laughable of a FO can you be to sign players on a whim without knowing if they can play? That goes double for Laughverne who had built up an NBA resume and an unimpresssive one at that.

TheGreatYacht
02-14-2018, 01:10 AM
46 wins? :lmao

How many wins do we have right now? Because we ain't winning another game again at this point

Amuseddaysleeper
02-14-2018, 01:42 AM

Only 3 games out of a playoff spot, there is still time.

acoelho1
02-14-2018, 09:14 AM
Still 3rd in the West :lol

davi78239
02-14-2018, 03:02 PM
This

Yea, and those bastsrds will draft and stash with the higher pick. Wouldn't surprise me.

cjw
02-14-2018, 08:02 PM
46 wins? :lmao

How many wins do we have right now? Because we ain't winning another game again at this point

Look at the bottom 8 teams and how closely stacked they are at 18-20 wins. The next three teams have 23 wins. That takes care of 11 of the 14 non-playoff teams who have zero incentive to win ... gap being 7 games to the playoffs which is virtually insurmountable for those teams.

Spurs will win games against all of those teams racing to the bottom. Issue is only 5 of their final 23 are against those teams, with the remaining 18 against playoff teams or playoff competitors.

If Kawhi isn’t back soon and either the Clippers or Pelicans figure it out, I can see them dropping out of the playoffs given there’s a 3 loss cushion. Utah’s already figuring it out.

Three games against a Cousins-less Pelicans team will be crucial.

Rummpd
02-24-2018, 10:20 AM
I was seemingly too optimistic

NASpurs
02-24-2018, 11:01 AM
:lol are we even going to make the playoffs

Rummpd
03-16-2018, 04:29 PM
39 and 30, 13 games left, damn I might be Nostradamus on this prediction

bic50
03-16-2018, 06:09 PM
Well the wheels were going to fall off at some point I guess

Rummpd
04-05-2018, 05:04 AM
Prediction stands

Eggeye
04-05-2018, 07:43 AM
Prediction stands
:toast

dbestpro
04-05-2018, 08:04 AM
I would prefer they miss the playoffs too and end this miserable season. The lack of discipline on the road is astounding. Pop is being tuned out or he just isn't coaching.

TheGreatYacht
04-11-2018, 10:32 PM

:lol

raybies
04-11-2018, 10:34 PM
bumping another one your alts TGY?

DPG21920
04-11-2018, 10:35 PM
What’s funny? SA was a game or two away from being third. It was close all season.

Brunodf
04-11-2018, 10:48 PM
What’s funny? SA was a game or two away from being third. It was close all season.
Closer to missing the playoffs than being the 3rd seed though

raybies
04-11-2018, 10:49 PM
fine but it was the same as getting the fourth as missing the playoffs

DPG21920
04-11-2018, 10:49 PM

Lol by one game.

Spurtacular
04-11-2018, 11:25 PM
bumping another one your alts TGY?

:lmao

Play Boban
04-11-2018, 11:27 PM
:wow

vy65
04-11-2018, 11:36 PM
People claiming this season was a success are like Trump supporters who can’t process reality and resort to crying about Hillary’s emails ...

Arcadian
04-12-2018, 12:32 AM
Good guess

Rummpd
04-12-2018, 02:35 AM
Missed it by one game - shame is with missing in action KL they would have a chance.

z0sa
04-13-2018, 03:17 AM
All things considered I would call it a glorious season.

Rummpd
04-13-2018, 04:32 AM
All things considered I would call it a glorious season.

Let's see if they compete hard vs GS - without mystery man cannot win but nice to see six games