PDA

View Full Version : What a piece

vy65
02-12-2018, 02:50 PM
https://qz.com/1204824/donald-trump-wants-to-shut-down-the-international-space-station-in-2025-so-nasa-can-be-ready-for-private-space/

boutons_deux
02-12-2018, 03:40 PM
The oligarchy has been and will continue to privatize EVERYTING where they can find a big enough ROI, preferably irrevocable, in perpetuity.

yawn, just metastasizing, solidifying the oligarchy's implementation of the rentier society

roads, water, land, electricity, prisons, war, ISS, etc have been or will be privatized

America is fucked and unfuckable, well into permanent, unstoppable decline for the lower 80%.

koriwhat
02-12-2018, 04:03 PM
The oligarchy has been and will continue to privatize EVERYTING where they can find a big enough ROI, preferably irrevocable, in perpetuity.

yawn, just metastasizing, solidifying the oligarchy's implementation of the rentier society

roads, water, land, electricity, prisons, war, ISS, etc have been or will be privatized

America is fucked and unfuckable, well into permanent, unstoppable decline for the lower 80%.

lmao the world is burning down all around me!

Chris
02-12-2018, 04:05 PM
lmao the world is burning down all around me!

It's fucked but I love living here! :lol

(lmao if boots doesn't live in the U.S.)

koriwhat
02-12-2018, 04:10 PM
It's fucked but I love living here! :lol

:tu buddy

vy65
02-12-2018, 04:34 PM
Stay on topic. You can take your WWF/U.S.A!! rah-rah bullshit elsewhere.

Chris
02-12-2018, 04:37 PM
vy65 wants a safe space so he can bash Trump with his comrades.

vy65
02-12-2018, 04:39 PM
If you've read any of my posts (you haven't), you'd know I'm against safe spaces -- unlike you and your need for them to hide from hot women in lingerie ...

Blake
02-12-2018, 04:51 PM
vy65 wants a safe space so he can bash Trump with his comrades.

I'm convinced you would let Trump grab you by the pussy

Mark Celibate
02-12-2018, 05:05 PM
Nobody curr

RandomGuy
02-12-2018, 06:13 PM
https://qz.com/1204824/donald-trump-wants-to-shut-down-the-international-space-station-in-2025-so-nasa-can-be-ready-for-private-space/
Trump’s Plan To Privatize International Space Station Worst Idea Since Vogon Poetry Festival

Space is big. Really big. You just won’t believe how vastly, hugely, mindbogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think Donald Trump’s stupidity is vast and galaxy-spanning, but that’s just peanuts to space. Still, Trump’s supply of stupid is awfully impressive, as demonstrated by Sunday’s Washington Post story on a leaked NASA document revealing the administration’s plan to stop funding the International Space Station and turn it over to private industry. Happily, virtually everyone, including companies already doing free enterprise in space, thinks that’s just the worst idea ever. Even worse than trying to design something completely foolproof while underestimating the ingenuity of complete fools.
Read more at https://wonkette.com/629641/trumps-plan-to-privatize-international-space-station-worst-idea-since-vogon-poetry-festival#heWIEYA1fhA8ZTdT.99

Splits
02-12-2018, 07:03 PM

RandomGuy
02-13-2018, 10:41 AM
Stay on topic. You can take your WWF/U.S.A!! rah-rah bullshit elsewhere.

If he wants to bump up NASA's budget, fine, but trying to privatize things that aren't really meant to be privatized will work as well as private prisons.

If you are interested in space, they have done some interesting studies on how to get there, that are very serious, sober assessments.

vy65
02-13-2018, 10:55 AM
If he wants to bump up NASA's budget, fine, but trying to privatize things that aren't really meant to be privatized will work as well as private prisons.

If you are interested in space, they have done some interesting studies on how to get there, that are very serious, sober assessments.

Every dollar spent on NASA returns approximately 7 dollars in growing the economy. I'd be thrilled if he wanted to bump up NASA's budget.

I'm also all for a very close working relationship between NASA and the private sector. I think subsidies, grant programs, etc... are all crucially important.

That said, getting rid of ISS is a horrible idea for a number of reasons.

CosmicCowboy
02-13-2018, 11:58 AM
They are already doing space tourist trips to the space station. Only 40 million for you high rollers.

RandomGuy
02-14-2018, 11:05 AM
They are already doing space tourist trips to the space station. Only 40 million for you high rollers.

What they need to be doing is asteroid mining, with refining centers at the Legrange points.

You need just enough lift to get things into low earth orbit, then use orbital tow trucks, fueled by mass from the mining, to take it from there.

Cool thing about asteroids is that they tend to have a lot of platinum group metals which are extremely rare on the surface of our planet, but really really useful for a variety of industrial purposes.

RandomGuy
02-14-2018, 11:06 AM
http://www.permanent.com/index.html

Dude has been running this for two decades or so. Well-refined ideas, even if the scaremongering about why is a bit much for me.

RandomGuy
02-14-2018, 11:09 AM
https://www.leonarddavid.com/asteroid-mining-white-paper-explores-knowledge-gaps/ (blog detailing background to below linked whitepaper)

https://arxiv.org/abs/1612.00709

The aim of the Asteroid Science Intersections with In-Space Mine Engineering (ASIME) 2016 conference on September 21-22, 2016 in Luxembourg City was to provide an environment for the detailed discussion of the specific properties of asteroids, with the engineering needs of space missions that utilize asteroids.
The ASIME 2016 Conference produced a layered record of discussions from the asteroid scientists and the asteroid miners to understand each other's key concerns and to address key scientific questions from the asteroid mining companies: Planetary Resources, Deep Space Industries and TransAstra. These Questions were the focus of the two day conference, were addressed by scientists inside and outside of the ASIME Conference and are the focus of this White Paper.
The Questions from the asteroid mining companies have been sorted into the three asteroid science themes: 1) survey, 2) surface and 3) subsurface and 4) Other. The answers to those Questions have been provided by the scientists with their conference presentations or edited directly into an early open-access collaborative Google document (August 2016-October 2016), or inserted by A. Graps using additional reference materials. During the ASIME 2016 last two-hours, the scientists turned the Questions from the Asteroid Miners around by presenting their own key concerns: Questions from the Asteroid Scientists . These answers in this White Paper will point to the Science Knowledge Gaps (SKGs) for advancing the asteroid in-space resource utilisation domain.

RandomGuy
02-14-2018, 11:12 AM
Another good whitepaper on the technical specifics of the missions, that approaches the topic in a very scientific way.

http://www.friendsofbest.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/AIAA-2013-5304_Asteroid_Mining.pdf

HIS paper presents selected results from the nine-month, Phase 1 NASA Innovative and Advanced Concepts
(NIAC) investigation for the Robotic Asteroid Prospector (RAP). The central objective is to determine the
feasibility of mining asteroids. Ideally, this determination should be economic, technical, and scientific to lead to
the conceptualization of robotic and later human asteroid mining missions. The paper distinguishes resources that
can be used in space from those that could be brought back to earth and sold. The economic justification for the
latter is difficult to establish at present. The value of a resource in space should derive from not its value on Earth
but its usefulness in space. This value is analogous to the question: what is more valuable in the middle of Sahara
desert -- 1 liter of water or 1 kg of gold. The paper presents the identified commodity resources available in space
that are of potentially feasible economic interest, as well as a mining architecture and associated technologies for
exploiting those resources.

hater
02-14-2018, 11:31 AM
Militaristic oligarchy

US has been this for a few years now

Reck
02-14-2018, 11:34 AM
Lol mods editing titles. It’s not 2005 anymore.

vy65
02-14-2018, 01:58 PM
What they need to be doing is asteroid mining, with refining centers at the Legrange points.

You need just enough lift to get things into low earth orbit, then use orbital tow trucks, fueled by mass from the mining, to take it from there.

Cool thing about asteroids is that they tend to have a lot of platinum group metals which are extremely rare on the surface of our planet, but really really useful for a variety of industrial purposes.

Saw Neil Degrasse Tyson give a lecture about a month ago. He spent some time talking about several extinction-level events we've had due to asteroid impacts. Point being: we are so beyond fucked if an asteroid is heading on a collision course with us.

boutons_deux
02-14-2018, 02:08 PM
Saw Neil Degrasse Tyson give a lecture about a month ago. He spent some time talking about several extinction-level events we've had due to asteroid impacts. Point being: we are so beyond fucked if an asteroid is heading on a collision course with us.

of course, depends on how big and where a major asteroid hits

If this one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicxulub_crater

... had hit in the middle of an ocean, it probably wouldn't have been an extinction event, other than a hell of a tsunami richoting around the planet.

RandomGuy
02-14-2018, 03:30 PM

We're fucked if a large unexpected solar burp hits us, which is more probable in any given year. Take out the power grid in the developed world for a month, see what happens. (shudders)

We do need to get into space for simple species survivability, although I have my doubts that humans in their present form will be around for much longer, for a variety of reasons.

vy65
02-14-2018, 04:17 PM
We're fucked if a large unexpected solar burp hits us, which is more probable in any given year. Take out the power grid in the developed world for a month, see what happens. (shudders)

We do need to get into space for simple species survivability, although I have my doubts that humans in their present form will be around for much longer, for a variety of reasons.

Slightly off topic, but I think still related:

UjtOGPJ0URM