PDA

View Full Version : US rationing of health care kills woman

RandomGuy
02-13-2018, 03:57 PM
Texas mom dies from flu after skipping on meds deemed too costly: report

A Texas mother of two died Sunday from flu complications after reportedly deciding that the $116 medication to treat the virus was too costly.

Heather Holland, a second-grade teacher at Ikard Elementary School in Weatherford, Texas, died following complications of flu, leaving behind her husband Frank Holland and two children, a daughter, 10, and a son, 7.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2018/02/12/texas-mom-dies-from-flu-after-skipping-on-meds-deemed-too-costly-report.html

------------------------------------

Free markets ration goods with prices.

Just so we are clear.

koriwhat
02-13-2018, 04:55 PM
should've spent the $116... my step father did and is fine. he had the flu this past week and took tamiflu during that time. as well, he has a flu shot already. waste to get that bs vaccination in the first place.

RandomGuy
02-13-2018, 05:34 PM
should've spent the $116... my step father did and is fine. he had the flu this past week and took tamiflu during that time. as well, he has a flu shot already. waste to get that bs vaccination in the first place.

Wow... talk about missing the point. Not even going to bother trying to explain it to you. smh

SnakeBoy
02-14-2018, 11:39 AM
I feel bad for the dad having to explain to his kids that mommy is dead because she was a cheapskate.

Mark Celibate
02-14-2018, 11:41 AM
Pity post

hater
02-14-2018, 11:42 AM
Stupid sensationalist thread tbqh

“Woman is killed by healthcare” DING

As bad. No much worse than the death panels or obama is a muslim retardation

RandomGuy
02-14-2018, 12:17 PM
I feel bad for the dad having to explain to his kids that mommy is dead because she was a cheapskate.

Blaming the victim is your first go-to?

What next? "She was asking for it because she wasn't wearing a burka?"

Chucho
02-14-2018, 12:21 PM
Blaming the victim is your first go-to?

What next? "She was asking for it because she wasn't wearing a burka?"

Inversely, denying accountability is your reasoning for the post. See how that works?

She's a school teacher in a market where school teachers can afford a meager $117. This isn't a Texas minimum wage burger flipper living in Eagle Pass. 4-6 hours of salary.

And healthcare being rationed? More like the Government needs to regulate true healthcare, not nonsensical insurance that just gives you a ticket to access the uncontrollable costs of healthcare.

RandomGuy
02-14-2018, 12:41 PM
Inversely, denying accountability is your reasoning for the post. See how that works?

She's a school teacher in a market where school teachers can afford a meager $117. This isn't a Texas minimum wage burger flipper living in Eagle Pass. 4-6 hours of salary.

And healthcare being rationed? More like the Government needs to regulate true healthcare, not nonsensical insurance that just gives you a ticket to access the uncontrollable costs of healthcare.

Yes, health care is rationed in the US, just like every other good/service. I referenced an economic textbook in the OP, to underscore the point.

The entire point is that universal coverage wouldn't make people have to choose.

The free market breaks down when it comes to health care. We are all worse off as a result.

Xevious
02-14-2018, 01:23 PM
What exactly was $117? Tamiflu?

Two things... Tamiflu doesn't cure the flu. It shortens the symptoms. And it is now available in generic form for lot less than $100 even if you have no insurance.

There are usually other factors/complications at play when somebody of her age dies from the flu. Tamiflu likely wouldn't have made a difference. Unless I'm something here and they were talking about some other med?

DarrinS
02-14-2018, 01:29 PM
Flu shots are a lot cheaper. Mine were free.

sickdsm
02-14-2018, 04:01 PM
You would be bankrupt within two years if you bought everything you were supposed to. We've skipped prescriptions for the boys because of it shortening the length of the illness, not the severity. It's like those in this thread don't understand science.

For the record, my insurance through blue cross prescriptions are more expensive than if I ran them without insurance. Sad reality for many.

SnakeBoy
02-14-2018, 06:10 PM
What exactly was $117? Tamiflu?

Two things... Tamiflu doesn't cure the flu. It shortens the symptoms. And it is now available in generic form for lot less than $100 even if you have no insurance.

There are usually other factors/complications at play when somebody of her age dies from the flu. Tamiflu likely wouldn't have made a difference. Unless I'm something here and they were talking about some other med?

This is what makes RandomGuy's post so stupid and not worth a serious response. It's clear from the article that she suffered an influenza triggered cytokine storm, a single dose of Tamiflu wasn't going to help her.

Pelicans78
02-14-2018, 06:37 PM
Texas mom dies from flu after skipping on meds deemed too costly: report

A Texas mother of two died Sunday from flu complications after reportedly deciding that the $116 medication to treat the virus was too costly.

Heather Holland, a second-grade teacher at Ikard Elementary School in Weatherford, Texas, died following complications of flu, leaving behind her husband Frank Holland and two children, a daughter, 10, and a son, 7.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2018/02/12/texas-mom-dies-from-flu-after-skipping-on-meds-deemed-too-costly-report.html

------------------------------------

Just so we are clear.

You have no authority to speak on this issue because it's clear you have no clue what you're talking about.

Pelicans78
02-14-2018, 06:43 PM

Flu shots haven't been as helpful this flu season though still much better than not getting a flu shot.

Pelicans78
02-14-2018, 06:46 PM
Wow... talk about missing the point. Not even going to bother trying to explain it to you. smh

Tamiflu wasn't gonna help much anyway. She waited a week to be seen and Tamiflu is effective within 48 hours of symptoms.

UNT Eagles 2016
02-14-2018, 06:55 PM

agreed. Why not just put that shit on credit? i'm broke but not really because i have a $6500 credit limit and just have to pay a whopping $25 a month to keep my credit card :lol

boutons_deux
02-14-2018, 06:56 PM
Tamiflu wasn't gonna help much anyway. She waited a week to be seen and Tamiflu is effective within 48 hours of symptoms.

this year's flu shot is only 30% effective

UNT Eagles 2016
02-14-2018, 06:57 PM
Flu shots haven't been as helpful this flu season though still much better than not getting a flu shot.

Flu shots are a scam. On average 40-50% effective against all flu viruses circulating and nearly zero percent against the current pandemic strain. This is true every year and this year is a "worse of the two" case pandemic strain that on average only comes every four years or so.

Also they deteriorate your immune system and make you more vulnerable to the current strain

Pelicans78
02-14-2018, 07:19 PM
Flu shots are a scam. On average 40-50% effective against all flu viruses circulating and nearly zero percent against the current pandemic strain. This is true every year and this year is a "worse of the two" case pandemic strain that on average only comes every four years or so.

Also they deteriorate your immune system and make you more vulnerable to the current strain

None of that is true. Flu shots aren't perfect, but it's still better than not getting a flu shot. It helps build an immunity which even if the flu is contracted, the symptoms aren't nearly as severe compared to getting the flu without getting a vaccine. The majority of people who get the flu are folks who weren't vaccinated.

Pelicans78
02-14-2018, 07:21 PM
this year's flu shot is only 30% effective

That doesn't have anything to do with Tamiflu.

sickdsm
02-14-2018, 07:28 PM
agreed. Why not just put that shit on credit? i'm broke but not really because i have a $6500 credit limit and just have to pay a whopping $25 a month to keep my credit card :lol
Another post worthy of most idiotic in this thread. Why don't you get your prostate examined? Colonoscopy? MRI? Trade your vehicle in on one that's top rated in crash or rollover. Have you updated your carbon monoxide detector? Etc.....

SnakeBoy
02-14-2018, 07:49 PM

A pack of smokes is even cheaper and might have saved her life.

resistanze
02-14-2018, 11:03 PM
Pretty stupid and uneducated article.

CosmicCowboy
02-15-2018, 08:24 AM
You guys might want to check Snopes on this one.

TeyshaBlue
02-15-2018, 06:28 PM
MOSTLY FALSE

Wow.

koriwhat
02-15-2018, 06:47 PM

people want handouts... i get it. some die by waiting for said handouts.

btw, no flu shot here and i haven't gotten sick. my step father had the flu last week and was vaccinated. hmm... probably all the weed i smoke.

RandomGuy
02-16-2018, 10:49 AM
This is what makes RandomGuy's post so stupid and not worth a serious response. It's clear from the article that she suffered an influenza triggered cytokine storm, a single dose of Tamiflu wasn't going to help her.

Doctor Snakeboy weighs in. Bow to the towering intellect.

Where in the article does it name the medication, Doctor?

RandomGuy
02-16-2018, 10:52 AM
You guys might want to check Snopes on this one.

Despite the meme’s inaccuracies, it raises a legitimate concern. The cost of prescription drugs in the United States is much higher than what consumers are charged in other countries. That can have life-or-death consequences, especially for people who are under-insured or have no health coverage at all. According to a 2015 study, Americans pay three to 16 times more for top-selling prescription medications than do people in countries where drug prices are subject to some form of government control.

spurraider21
02-16-2018, 11:06 AM
:lol

have you read your thread title? your entire OP?

CosmicCowboy
02-16-2018, 12:12 PM
Its ok for RG to shit backwards and move the goal posts lol.

AaronY
02-16-2018, 12:52 PM
Pretty shitty thread OP

RandomGuy
02-16-2018, 02:26 PM
:lol

have you read your thread title? your entire OP?

Yes. Emotionally weighted to get the right mix of feigned outrage. "we don't ration healthcare" reactions and so forth.

RandomGuy
02-16-2018, 02:28 PM
Its ok for RG to shit backwards and move the goal posts lol.

Not at all, open mind.

Even the Snopes article said that money played a part in her decision, as was already pointed out to you.

If it hadn't, she may very well still be alive.

Feel free to tell me how that contradicts the OP.

CosmicCowboy
02-16-2018, 02:32 PM
Not at all, open mind.

Even the Snopes article said that money played a part in her decision, as was already pointed out to you.

If it hadn't, she may very well still be alive.

Feel free to tell me how that contradicts the OP.
Husband flat out said they had plenty of money, she was just cheap. He filled the prescription the day after she got it.

RandomGuy
02-16-2018, 02:34 PM
Husband flat out said they had plenty of money, she was just cheap. He filled the prescription the day after she got it.

So, if it had been costless, would she have worried about it? Yes or no.

Chucho
02-16-2018, 02:53 PM
Yes. Emotionally weighted to get the right mix of feigned outrage. "we don't ration healthcare" reactions and so forth.

We don't. We auction it, we horde it, we sell it, we fundraise for it, we give it away. But we don't ration it. Rationing implies everyone gets an equal amount distributed by some type of agency with authority.

Chucho
02-16-2018, 02:56 PM

What do you think? There are people who flat out think they'll be fine without medications.

Again, I understand you, but is it out of the realm of possibility to you that this person just might need to be held accountable, even in the slightest?

DMC
02-16-2018, 04:03 PM
always more to the story than randombot covers

DMC
02-16-2018, 04:05 PM
next, she would die because cost of heating her 3500 sqft home is too much

Chucho
02-16-2018, 04:14 PM
next, she would die because cost of heating her 3500 sqft home is too much

American rations energy.

DMC
02-16-2018, 05:16 PM
Looks like we need to have our rationing of healthcare injections