PDA

View Full Version : When will we KNOW Kiwi isn't coming back this year?

$pursDynasty
02-14-2018, 01:27 AM
What game do you think will signify that he won't play this year? At first I thought first game after All Star Game but since we are on the RRT, maybe it's the first home game post the RRT. Now I don't Expect Pop to ever admit it. Just like playoffs last year, wondering if :clawwould return but he never did.

TimDunkem
02-14-2018, 01:35 AM
If he isn't back by mid-March at the latest then just shut the guy down.

Amuseddaysleeper
02-14-2018, 01:36 AM
First game of the playoffs. The fact that he hasn't even been doing shooting drills or anything unlike Rudy Gay says it all.

He won't play again this year.

HarlemHeat37
02-14-2018, 01:38 AM
I'm just hoping he plays another game in a Spurs uniform, tbh..

sananspursfan21
02-14-2018, 01:39 AM

This. Me too, me too :claw

HI-FI
02-14-2018, 01:43 AM
Yep, I’ve been wondering the same as well. Something is so fishy about the whole thing. If this is it, hopefully Spurs get some serious pieces out of it, let the tank/rebuilding begin.

ElNono
02-14-2018, 02:30 AM
Yep, I’ve been wondering the same as well. Something is so fishy about the whole thing. If this is it, hopefully Spurs get some serious pieces out of it, let the tank/rebuilding begin.

What's a serious piece for this FO? Isaiah Thomas and Joe Johnson?

wingster
02-14-2018, 02:50 AM
We won't know, because he will play this year.

lefty20
02-14-2018, 05:59 AM

Max out Melo, assuming he opts out.

james evans
02-14-2018, 08:47 AM
as long as he's over the age of 32, he's eligible for max.

JFK
02-14-2018, 08:54 AM
The Spurs will play this game all the way until the last day of the season or when they get eliminated in the playoffs.

I've given up expecting to ever hear anything out of the team. If it breaks news that Kawhi is going to play then that is it. The team and front office will never let you know anything.

acoelho1
02-14-2018, 09:09 AM
It would be nice to get some sort meaningful update on Kawhi. I guess Pop and crew don’t see a need to keep the fans informed. This season has really soured me on the Spurs and not because of the injuries but how the organization is communicating it to its fans..

Dex
02-14-2018, 09:38 AM
First game of the playoffs. The fact that he hasn't even been doing shooting drills or anything unlike Rudy Gay says it all.

He won't play again this year.

Sadly, I'm beginning to feel the same way. The unspoken consensus was that he would be back post-ASB...but like you said, he hasn't even been doing drills or contact work as far as I can tell. They gave us a timeline for Gay, but it's been nothing but crickets about Kawhi.

They theoretically could start to ramp that up over the next week and a half, but I don't expect it. It's looking less and less likely we see Kawhi this season, but the team isn't going to come out and say it because they still have to sell tickets.

Russ
02-14-2018, 09:39 AM
This season has really soured me on the Spurs and not because of the injuries but how the organization is communicating it to its fans..

Maybe Kawhi doesn't want any communication from the Spurs on his injury.

Maybe the team is afraid to say anything at all.

If Kawhi wants any communication from anyone (including himself) regarding his situation he hasn't shown it.

Keepin' it real
02-14-2018, 09:53 AM
When will we KNOW Kawhi isn't coming back?

If you don't already know, you haven't been paying attention.

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-14-2018, 09:55 AM
That might explain why Pop is losing very winnable games. He's probably trying to improve their draft position rather than worry about this season.

Poolboy5623
02-14-2018, 10:16 AM
That might explain why Pop is losing very winnable games. He's probably trying to improve their draft position rather than worry about this season.

Or maybe the Spurs aren’t good enough to win close games??

NASpurs
02-14-2018, 10:22 AM
Even if comes back, he's going to be hit with that "injury management" bullshit. With so few games in the season, just let the old horse die already and put it out of its misery.

Amuseddaysleeper
02-14-2018, 10:55 AM
Sadly, I'm beginning to feel the same way. The unspoken consensus was that he would be back post-ASB...but like you said, he hasn't even been doing drills or contact work as far as I can tell. They gave us a timeline for Gay, but it's been nothing but crickets about Kawhi.

They theoretically could start to ramp that up over the next week and a half, but I don't expect it. It's looking less and less likely we see Kawhi this season, but the team isn't going to come out and say it because they still have to sell tickets.

And that's the most frustrating thing about all this. It's infuriating every night to see "Kawhi Leonard: Rest Management" when they should just say "he's out for the season". He's still listed as part of the active roster so that gives me a glimmer of hope but with only 25 games or so left in the season I hope Kawhi comes back sooner than later to shake the rust off.

Amuseddaysleeper
02-14-2018, 10:56 AM
Even if comes back, he's going to be hit with that "injury management" bullshit. With so few games in the season, just let the old horse die already and put it out of its misery.

Enough about Pop, how do you feel about Kawhi?

Proxy
02-14-2018, 02:01 PM
there was a video of him shooting a week or so ago, just fts though

spurs10
02-14-2018, 02:27 PM

If you look at there single-games ticket site there are thousands of tickets for every game. If you are a season ticket holder there is no way you’ll get face value of a ticket. Probably a lot of people dropping their season tickets as well.

TXstbobcat
02-14-2018, 02:35 PM
If you look at there single-games ticket site there are thousands of tickets for every game. If you are a season ticket holder there is no way you’ll get face value of a ticket. Probably a lot of people dropping their season tickets as well.

I am curious as to what your decision was on renewing your season tickets for next season.

spurraider21
02-14-2018, 02:38 PM
he'll be back only to get pachulia'd in the WCF again

spurs10
02-14-2018, 02:48 PM
I am curious as to what your decision was on renewing your season tickets for next season.Hey TXstbobcat...I’ve got an hour left to decide. :lol
I’m leaning on keeping them with hope this season is an anomaly. One big reason I have them though is so I can keep my seats for the playoffs. In March I can relocate and go with a 10 game package which I’m still considering. Problem there is you get moved to the balconyfor the playoffs. I’m a huge fan and you have to be because it’s a lot of money. I’ve never considered idropping the before because you could sell them if you needed to in the past.

spurs10
02-14-2018, 02:50 PM
^ Of course the playoffs aren’t a big motivator these days.

davi78239
02-14-2018, 02:55 PM

People dropping tickets...smh. Some fans they are. Don't be bitching one day when the team relocates cause people stopped going due to them not winning like the past. Spoiled fan base some are....

spurs10
02-14-2018, 03:14 PM
People dropping tickets...smh. Some fans they are. Don't be bitching one day when the team relocates cause people stopped going due to them not winning like the past. Spoiled fan base some are.... No doubt Spurs fans are spoiled. Also no doubt that tickets are extremely expensive and not knowing who is playing does affect the sells. If I didn’t go to the games I wouldn’t care so much if they moved. How many thousands of dollars a year do you spend? Just curious.

nym
02-14-2018, 03:41 PM
People dropping tickets...smh. Some fans they are. Don't be bitching one day when the team relocates cause people stopped going due to them not winning like the past. Spoiled fan base some are....

I get what you're saying but realistically you go to these games to enjoy yourself and see your team do well or watch your fave players play. With the Spurs at this point you don't know what you're gonna get with all these injuries and if Kawhi bounces who knows what will haopen to the team.

I used to live in Philly and for the previous 2 seasons I decided to be a partial season ticket holder for the Sixers (I did it to see the away teams at dirt cheap prices). If a team is playing poorly and/or ravished by injuries its tough spending thousands of dollars to watch the team lose over & over. Philly sports fans are insane and even they got tired of watching the Sixers lose.

Granted we Spurs fans are spoiled but the average Joe citizen will be thinking if the wheels have fallen off can they really be spending that kind of money on something that isn't as enjoyable.

spurs10
02-14-2018, 03:51 PM
I get what you're saying but realistically you go to these games to enjoy yourself and see your team do well or watch your fave players play. With the Spurs at this point you don't know what you're gonna get with all these injuries and if Kawhi bounces who knows what will haopen to the team.

I used to live in Philly and for the previous 2 seasons I decided to be a partial season ticket holder for the Sixers (I did it to see the away teams at dirt cheap prices). If a team is playing poorly and/or ravished by injuries its tough spending thousands of dollars to watch the team lose over & over. Philly sports fans are insane and even they got tired of watching the Sixers lose.

Granted we Spurs fans are spoiled but the average Joe citizen will be thinking if the wheels have fallen off can they really be spending that kind of money on something that isn't as enjoyable.
This! It’s like going to see the Stones and finding out Keith isn’t going to be playing tonight! :lol

HI-FI
02-14-2018, 04:47 PM
Whoever will look above average because of Pop’s System, imo

SAGirl
02-14-2018, 04:51 PM
All this conversation just shows Spurs can’t afford to tank and won’t do it intentionally. Pop has tried to win games and been foiled by combination of injuries, young played mistakes and some questionable imbalances in their roster construction... I am assuming they hope Kiwi and crew will be back healthy and they will rectify the situation. If Kiwi doesn’t recover they will take whatever losses in the chin, take their pick this summer and see what to do with next year... but they just can’t afford for these losses to be intentional.

TXstbobcat
02-14-2018, 05:20 PM
Hey TXstbobcat...I’ve got an hour left to decide. :lol
I’m leaning on keeping them with hope this season is an anomaly. One big reason I have them though is so I can keep my seats for the playoffs. In March I can relocate and go with a 10 game package which I’m still considering. Problem there is you get moved to the balconyfor the playoffs. I’m a huge fan and you have to be because it’s a lot of money. I’ve never considered idropping the before because you could sell them if you needed to in the past.

When I moved back to SA in September I looked into season tickets but it has been so much cheaper to get tickets on stubhub the day of the game.

saspurstx21
02-14-2018, 05:29 PM
When I moved back to SA in September I looked into season tickets but it has been so much cheaper to get tickets on stubhub the day of the game.

Or Seatgeek... I am a 10 game season ticket holder but I found out it is better buying tickets the day of.... :P

lefty20
02-14-2018, 05:31 PM
Last time it took him 4+weeks of practicing b4 seeing game time. Has he even started practicing again? If not, it time to call the t.o.d on this season, tbh.

TXstbobcat
02-14-2018, 05:33 PM
Or Seatgeek... I am a 10 game season ticket holder but I found out it is better buying tickets the day of.... :P

I have never used seetgeek. Thank you for suggesting that site. Are the ticket fees reasonable?

spurs10
02-14-2018, 07:14 PM
When I moved back to SA in September I looked into season tickets but it has been so much cheaper to get tickets on stubhub the day of the game. It definitely is cheaper to buy them now on StubHub as they aren't in demand. Season tickets are more advantageous when the team is winning and sure to go deep into the playoffs.

Or Seatgeek... I am a 10 game season ticket holder but I found out it is better buying tickets the day of.... :P You can get some great deals right now. For me I like having my seats throughout the playoffs, but as I was saying this year it's probably not a great advantage. I'm just hoping next year we will see a healthier team. It comes down to that.

spurs10
02-14-2018, 07:37 PM
I have never used seetgeek. Thank you for suggesting that site. Are the ticket fees reasonable? Aw yes those fees! Another advantage to having a package. Hopefully SeatGeek isn't as bad as Ticketmaster.

Chillen
02-14-2018, 07:43 PM
All this conversation just shows Spurs can’t afford to tank and won’t do it intentionally. Pop has tried to win games and been foiled by combination of injuries, young played mistakes and some questionable imbalances in their roster construction... I am assuming they hope Kiwi and crew will be back healthy and they will rectify the situation. If Kiwi doesn’t recover they will take whatever losses in the chin, take their pick this summer and see what to do with next year... but they just can’t afford for these losses to be intentional.

See this is the price of excellence, success. The Spurs have had tons of it in the regular season and have won NBA titles, fans expect the best. The Warriors are now setting themselves up for this, fans won't ever be happy with losing again. I don't think the Spurs would intentionally tank, but all these injurys will take it's toll on the regular season and yes they could miss playoffs if they don't start winning games. Pop would never intentionally tank.

davi78239
02-14-2018, 08:33 PM
No doubt Spurs fans are spoiled. Also no doubt that tickets are extremely expensive and not knowing who is playing does affect the sells. If I didn’t go to the games I wouldn’t care so much if they moved. How many thousands of dollars a year do you spend? Just curious.

Season ticket holder here. I'd just hate to lose the only pro franchise in town to freaken Las Vegas..

SnakeBoy
02-14-2018, 08:36 PM
I think if he isn't on the court for the Lakers on March 3rd then we can consider the season lost. Even if he is I'm not sure 20 games is enough time for him to get into playoff form.

cd021
02-14-2018, 08:36 PM
If he isn't back by mid-March at the latest then just shut the guy down.

If it hits March and there isn't any reports of him being close to return then I wouldn't expect him to play this season.

spurs10
02-14-2018, 09:25 PM
Season ticket holder here. I'd just hate to lose the only pro franchise in town to freaken Las Vegas.. Good to hear, me too, and going to see our team is a big thing for me. I will always go to the games as long as I can. For me I can’t go to every game and in the past I could easily sell the tickets to games I missed. Here lately people can get the seats much cheaper from some of the retailers because of the rough patch we are going through. I don’t think it will last, but it’s been tough lately. It is thousands of dollars so I do have to consider the costs.

In the end because I go to so many games, I don’t want to see them go anywhere else. Also a big part of the reason I support the Spurs is because I know they do a lot for the community and it matters to me. Also there was no way I was going to miss enjoying Manu for what might be his last season.
:flag:

SAGirl
02-14-2018, 09:40 PM
Kiwi needs to talk to this guy... /sarcasm

Capt Bringdown
02-14-2018, 10:38 PM
Out indefinitely...which, by definition, means that we won't know.

SAGirl
02-15-2018, 01:11 AM
Brodgon from the Bucks had a partially torn quad tendon and will need 6-8 weeks to recover... so whatever Kiwi has is worse than a full tear (Tony) or partial tear (Brogdon)... he must have some necrotic tissue at this point or something weird. #Xfiles

spurs10
02-15-2018, 02:47 AM
Brodgon from the Bucks had a partially torn quad tendon and will need 6-8 weeks to recover... so whatever Kiwi has is worse than a full tear (Tony) or partial tear (Brogdon)... he must have some necrotic tissue at this point or something weird. #Xfiles Tony’s injuryhappened in early May last year and didn’t return until Christmas. I think if they found a full tear he they would have said he was out for the year. What are we looking at, about six weeks so far?

YGWHI
02-15-2018, 07:35 AM
Brodgon from the Bucks had a partially torn quad tendon and will need 6-8 weeks to recover... so whatever Kiwi has is worse than a full tear (Tony) or partial tear (Brogdon)...
Some injuries are so difficult to diagnose when there isn't something broken, when there isn't a structural damage. I guess that's why Spurs medicall staff thought it was a minor issue and mishandled the whole situation.

It's clear now that Kawhi needed a different treatment in the summer and in the first weeks of training camp/season. Even Pop said the Spurs doctors changed the treatment after one or two months to be more aggressive in their approach to the injury. But they should have done it in the summer not in November/December. Sadly it took a lot of lost months, and other doctors' opinion were needed to find the correct treatment.

So I wouldn't say that Kawhi had 9 months to heal since he was training hard in the summer...Until training camp no one knew about Spurs doctors' mistake.

he must have some necrotic tissue at this point or something weird. #Xfiles
This is the most accurate version. It seems like in SD, people didn't need anyone tells them it...
https://theshowsdsu.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/human-avatar1.jpg?w=490&h=735

TheDoctor
02-15-2018, 12:57 PM
Gotta cop out that #15 College Jersey in either White or Black. Pure fire and much better than any of the Spurs’ alternates.

spurraider21
02-15-2018, 03:01 PM
Some injuries are so difficult to diagnose when there isn't something broken, when there isn't a structural damage. I guess that's why Spurs medicall staff thought it was a minor issue and mishandled the whole situation.

It's clear now that Kawhi needed a different treatment in the summer and in the first weeks of training camp/season. Even Pop said the Spurs doctors changed the treatment after one or two months to be more aggressive in their approach to the injury. But they should have done it in the summer not in November/December. Sadly it took a lot of lost months, and other doctors' opinion were needed to find the correct treatment.

So I wouldn't say that Kawhi had 9 months to heal since he was training hard in the summer...Until training camp no one knew about Spurs doctors' mistake.

This is the most accurate version. It seems like in SD, people didn't need anyone tells them it...
the blue is fitting since he's made of glass tbh

SAGirl
02-15-2018, 05:43 PM

You know I was using some sarcasm with the #xfiles
I have a mild concern that Kiwi’s hamstring turns out like Tiago’s calf...

bklynspursfan
02-16-2018, 01:24 PM
You know I was using some sarcasm with the #xfiles
I have a mild concern that Kiwi’s hamstring turns out like Tiago’s calf...

You mean his quad?

exstatic
02-16-2018, 02:05 PM
What game do you think will signify that he won't play this year? At first I thought first game after All Star Game but since we are on the RRT, maybe it's the first home game post the RRT. Now I don't Expect Pop to ever admit it. Just like playoffs last year, wondering if :clawwould return but he never did.

Did they ever say he was going to return to the playoffs, or that he even might? I wrote him off after that POS undercut him in GS. You were pretty naive if you thought he was coming back from a second ankle sprain.

As for this year, you’ll know either when he plays, or at the conclusion of game 82.

Keepin' it real
02-16-2018, 02:32 PM
Maybe he's waiting until there's 7:55 remaining in the 3rd quarter of game 1 of this year's series against GSW so he can pick up where he left off last season.

SAGirl
02-16-2018, 03:33 PM
You mean his quad?
yup.

SAGirl
02-16-2018, 03:33 PM
Maybe he's waiting until there's 7:55 remaining in the 3rd quarter of game 1 of this year's series against GSW so he can pick up where he left off last season.
:lol
that is like a sports movie.

bklynspursfan
02-16-2018, 04:16 PM
yup.

Got nervous that maybe there was a new injury thrown into the equation

Dex
02-16-2018, 07:46 PM
that is like a sports movie.

Pop calls timeout at 7:55 in the 3rd.

Who's that running out of the locker room?

The Spurs Coyote!?!?

He runs onto the court and dances to the Golden State sideline.

He kicks Zaza Pachulia in the shin.

He runs out to center court, standing triumphantly on the Golden State logo....and pulls off his head.

It's Kawhi Leonard.

Spurs win in 6, Kawhi goes on to be FMVP of the 2018 Finals over Lebron.

spurs10
02-17-2018, 03:58 AM
Pop calls timeout at 7:55 in the 3rd.

Who's that running out of the locker room?

The Spurs Coyote!?!?

He runs onto the court and dances to the Golden State sideline.

He kicks Zaza Pachulia in the shin.

He runs out to center court, standing triumphantly on the Golden State logo....and pulls off his head.

It's Kawhi Leonard.

Spurs win in 6, Kawhi goes on to be FMVP of the 2018 Finals over Lebron. Hope you’re clairvoyant!!!

BillMc
02-17-2018, 04:29 AM
This! It’s like going to see the Stones and finding out Keith isn’t going to be playing tonight! :lol

spurs10
02-17-2018, 04:32 AM
:claw

BillMc
02-17-2018, 04:37 AM
:claw
:toast

Don't like our Spurs de-Klawed.

tholdren
02-17-2018, 03:16 PM

Sure, if keith was sidelined for 6mos for an ingrown toenail, not saying why he couldnt play the guitar, and then having some hillbilly 3rd cousin saying shit about how he may just want to join the beatles.

SAGirl
02-17-2018, 06:35 PM

itzsoweezee
02-17-2018, 06:50 PM
If he's not back within a week or two after the all Star break, it's going to be too late to work himself back in shape by the playoffs.

spurs10
02-17-2018, 07:12 PM
:toast

Don't like our Spurs de-Klawed. “Unleash the Klaw!” :claw

Sounds like a WWE sound bite..:lol
This Kawhi saga is wearing me out, so maybe I’ll start watching wrestling! Andy Kaufman’s “I’m From Hollywood” is genius if you missed it!

spurs10
02-17-2018, 07:19 PM
Sure, if keith was sidelined for 6mos for an ingrown toenail, not saying why he couldnt play the guitar, and then having some hillbilly 3rd cousin saying shit about how he may just want to join the beatles.
:lol Well with Keith we could likely guess he was locked up somewhere with some high-grade narcotics....and wasn’t speaking because he was incapable. The idea of “some hillbilly” being in the mix is entirely possible...especially if he was ‘hooked up.’

If he's not back within a week or two after the all Star break, it's going to be too late to work himself back in shape by the playoffs. :toast Sounds about right...thinking we will know by the time of our next home game.

YGWHI
02-18-2018, 07:27 PM
the blue is fitting since he's made of glass tbh
Nah...Just ICE blue.

Clutch Ice Cold af.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfmafJs_ATM

BillMc
02-19-2018, 07:06 AM
“Unleash the Klaw!” :claw

Sounds like a WWE sound bite..:lol
This Kawhi saga is wearing me out, so maybe I’ll start watching wrestling! Andy Kaufman’s “I’m From Hollywood” is genius if you missed it!

Will look into it, Bro

NameLess Scrub
02-19-2018, 09:40 AM
Since the season started. We never needed news from the team.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-19-2018, 09:36 PM
Kawhi wants to win. His coach wants to be a social justice warrior. There's new planets and stuff out there.

tholdren
02-19-2018, 09:53 PM
Kawhi wants to win. His coach wants to be a social justice warrior. There's new planets and stuff out there.
Play first before you can win

hater
02-20-2018, 08:32 PM
The poor bastard cant ven wipe his own ass for christsakes