PDA

View Full Version : OMG Almost died hunting

illusioNtEk
02-19-2018, 12:50 AM
Went hunting for wild boars with my uncle for the first time. Recently bought this Glock 17 Gen 4 about a month ago and went to the range a few times just in case for close encounters. My uncle said I should of got a 45 because these boars have tuff skin. So while walking through a trail we hear wild boars ahead and hid from them trying to get closer then all of a sudden one came from behind us as full speed! It was like the movies man and my heart was fucking pumping... My uncle tried to shoot at it and missed as he was probably panicking and didn't have a pistol! He got in front of me to protect me from it.. I then took out my Glock and unloaded 18 rounds into it and killed it! It fell and sled right up to us! My uncle said thank god you had that or that boar could have hurt us. While the boar was running at us I probably missed the first 3 or 5 shoots but gained control while in rapid fire. Fucking crazy tbh. So yea... it might be wise to have a 45 as the bullets are bigger and have better stopping power just fyi. It didnt die till my mag was almost empty.

sickdsm
02-19-2018, 01:52 AM
I've heard that those things can get pretty intense and ornery. I thought it was a must have to have a pistol I'm case of that situation.

Avante
02-19-2018, 02:07 AM
I'm out in Wasco (west of Bakersfield) calling on subscribers to a magazine I worked for which had insurance available. I knock on the door, and hear.....back here, I'm in back. So I walk around the edge of the house and there stands this old guy next to a pen of beat up, chewed up pit bulls.

After the who I am and why I;m there.

Avante....so you fight these dogs?
Old timer....nope, I hunt wild pigs with them.
Avante....well I'll be damn.

pgardn
02-19-2018, 09:20 AM
Went hunting for wild boars with my uncle for the first time. Recently bought this Glock 17 Gen 4 about a month ago and went to the range a few times just in case for close encounters. My uncle said I should of got a 45 because these boars have tuff skin. So while walking through a trail we hear wild boars ahead and hid from them trying to get closer then all of a sudden one came from behind us as full speed! It was like the movies man and my heart was fucking pumping... My uncle tried to shoot at it and missed as he was probably panicking and didn't have a pistol! He got in front of me to protect me from it.. I then took out my Glock and unloaded 18 rounds into it and killed it! It fell and sled right up to us! My uncle said thank god you had that or that boar could have hurt us. While the boar was running at us I probably missed the first 3 or 5 shoots but gained control while in rapid fire. Fucking crazy tbh. So yea... it might be wise to have a 45 as the bullets are bigger and have better stopping power just fyi. It didnt die till my mag was almost empty.

Where were you?

pgardn
02-19-2018, 09:26 AM
I'm out in Wasco (west of Bakersfield) calling on subscribers to a magazine I worked for which had insurance available. I knock on the door, and hear.....back here, I'm in back. So I walk around the edge of the house and there stands this old guy next to a pen of beat up, chewed up pit bulls.

This is actually interesting. Crazy guy with pit bulls somehow gets into South America with his dogs to go get a jaguar. Think he got called in. They (I'm thinking farmers) could not find the cat and it was causing problems. He sends the dogs out to locate and harass so he can kill it. All three dogs were killed. Crushed tracheas . He goes home.

Look at how easily Jag carries this caiman away...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DBNYwxDZ_pA

DJR210
02-19-2018, 09:58 AM
This sounds a lot like the plot of Dances with Wolves

UZER
02-19-2018, 10:31 AM
...I pulled up to the house about 7 or 8 and I yelled to the cabbie Yo holmes, smell ya later...

lil'mo
02-19-2018, 11:18 AM
Doesn’t sound like you almost died. Quite the exaggeration imho tbqh

SpursforSix
02-19-2018, 11:30 AM
Hunting boars with pistols. LOL. That's weak.

When we used to hunt boars back in the day, we'd have a contest to see who could take one down with the most primitive weapon. Usually it would go to someone with a cross bow but there were a couple of times
that someone with a knife took the prize. Every year, at least one person would show up with a rock or brick. But they never were able to make it work.

Chucho
02-19-2018, 12:06 PM
I think the worst memory of hunting is having to finish a fat bastard that just didn't want to die with a hatchet to the skull. Made me feel "weird" for a long while.

SpursforSix
02-19-2018, 12:27 PM
I think the worst memory of hunting is having to finish a fat bastard that just didn't want to die with a hatchet to the skull. Made me feel "weird" for a long while.

That can be tough. If you poke out it's eyes first...like with a stick or knife...then it's easier to finish it off. Or if you can make yourself think that the boar raped someone in your family.

Chucho
02-19-2018, 12:35 PM
That can be tough. If you poke out it's eyes first...like with a stick or knife...then it's easier to finish it off. Or if you can make yourself think that the boar raped someone in your family.

Well, I felt it would have been easier to just put another bullet in him. He was there trembling and moving back and forth in the muck and leaves. He was basically dying, but my old man wouldn't let me crack a round off.

But, wild hog is fucking delicious. A hog leg in a broiler is good shit.

Spurtacular
02-19-2018, 07:40 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K517YIJKcfw

Blake
02-19-2018, 08:29 PM

What a great story

tlongII
02-19-2018, 08:35 PM
This is actually interesting. Crazy guy with pit bulls somehow gets into South America with his dogs to go get a jaguar. Think he got called in. They (I'm thinking farmers) could not find the cat and it was causing problems. He sends the dogs out to locate and harass so he can kill it. All three dogs were killed. Crushed tracheas . He goes home.

Look at how easily Jag carries this caiman away...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DBNYwxDZ_pA

Odd the jaguar went for the trachea. Usually they kill by biting into the prey’s brain.

Reck
02-19-2018, 08:45 PM
You just described one of Lost's episodes. :lol

Reck
02-19-2018, 08:46 PM
This sounds a lot like the plot of Dances with Wolves

:lol

pgardn
02-19-2018, 08:53 PM
Odd the jaguar went for the trachea. Usually they kill by biting into the prey’s brain.

Its what he said. It probably picked the dogs off one by one and just crushed their whole neck area snapped the spinal column as well. That's what I'm seeing. But, I don't think the cat surprised them like that caiman. Thing is those dogs were valuable and trained. But not for a South American cat like that. Killing a hog is not like killing a big predator cat like a jaguar. It was definitely stupid getting his dogs killed like that.

pgardn
02-19-2018, 08:59 PM
You just described one of Lost's episodes. :lol

Napolean Dynamite killed 50 wolverines when they attacked his cousins.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xdaEdDdtAsA

DMC
02-19-2018, 10:43 PM

So you have a handgun with a 33 round magazine or you had time to reload while a boar was bearing down on you?

illusioNtEk
02-19-2018, 10:51 PM
So you have a handgun with a 33 round magazine or you had time to reload while a boar was bearing down on you?

the glock 17 has 17 round mags, had 1 in the chamber so its 17+1. a 33 round mag wouldn't be ideal to carry around :p

pgardn
02-19-2018, 10:55 PM
the glock 17 has 17 round mags, had 1 in the chamber so its 17+1. a 33 round mag wouldn't be ideal to carry around :p

Where were you?

DMC
02-19-2018, 11:32 PM

You said you missed it with 3 - 5 and put 18 rounds into it. I see now that you meant that you fired 18 rounds total.

I bounced a few 9mm rounds off a pig's head a few years ago, hunting at night. I was blood trailing a pig I shot with a bow. It was around 60lbs but the big one followed it as it did a large half circle and laid down under a tree. I saw the stuck pig, but didn't see the odd, almost piebald colored female. She charged and I shot her several times. She turned and ran but there was no blood. I then purchased a .357 and use 158gr Hydroshock hollow points. Last one I shot with this was dead before it fell.

DJR210
02-20-2018, 09:07 AM
Should have gone out their with one of these bad boys

https://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Joker-Batman-Revover-Scope-1.jpg

sickdsm
02-21-2018, 09:09 AM
Napolean Dynamite killed 50 wolverines when they attacked his cousins.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xdaEdDdtAsA
Well what would you do in a situation like that?

Silver&Black
02-21-2018, 04:09 PM
Glock 17.......ewwwwww.

Should have put up the extra $$$ and got a 22 or 21. Your uncle was right.

Silver&Black
02-21-2018, 04:12 PM
Should have gone out their with one of these bad boys

https://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Joker-Batman-Revover-Scope-1.jpg

Sold my S&W .500 last Sunday. Miss it already. Made good money on it though. Won it at a raffle for $25.00, and sold it for $900.00.

Xevious
02-21-2018, 04:53 PM
Glock 17.......ewwwwww.

Should have put up the extra $$$ and got a 22 or 21. Your uncle was right.
9mm is by far the most popular round for self defense, and is plenty adequate with some good JHPs. Not sure I'd bring it along for Boar hunting though.

spurraider21
02-21-2018, 05:10 PM
9mm is by far the most popular round for self defense, and is plenty adequate with some good JHPs. Not sure I'd bring it along for Boar hunting though.
9mm for self defense? nah we need AR-15's with bump stocks

Silver&Black
02-21-2018, 05:17 PM

It's personal preference. I wouldn't own a 9mm. I know it' popular, just isn't right for me.

Hell, it's like the Glock itself. Some people swear by them, some people won't own one. Definitely a love it or hate it kinda thing.

pgardn
02-21-2018, 07:09 PM
Well what would you do in a situation like that?

Drag a little plastic super hero by a string after throwing it out the window of a school bus.

gahhh....
What the heck would you do?