PDA

View Full Version : Spurs are tanking

Rob123
02-22-2018, 11:13 AM
The Spurs are tanking. They thought they'd have Kwahi but once it became apparent they wouldnt they decided it was a lost season and are trying to get somewhere in the neighborhood of the 10th pick. They're seeing what they have with their young guns and are going to draft a guy like Mikal Bridges. Giving Murray tons of burn so he's good to go next year.

Pavlov
02-22-2018, 12:12 PM
The Spurs are tanking. They thought they'd have Kwahi but once it became apparent they wouldnt they decided it was a lost season and are trying to get somewhere in the neighborhood of the 10th pick. They're seeing what they have with their young guns and are going to draft a guy like Mikal Bridges. Giving Murray tons of burn so he's good to go next year.Since they're ten games ahead of that spot in the loss column, they're doing a terrible job of tanking.

Dre_7
02-22-2018, 12:19 PM
The Spurs are tanking. They thought they'd have Kwahi but once it became apparent they wouldnt they decided it was a lost season and are trying to get somewhere in the neighborhood of the 10th pick. They're seeing what they have with their young guns and are going to draft a guy like Mikal Bridges. Giving Murray tons of burn so he's good to go next year.

:lol :lol No they are not
They would have to lose basically every game for it to be a worth while tank. And I guarantee you guys like Manu, Tony, Gay, and LMA are not trying to lose games.

SAGirl
02-22-2018, 12:35 PM
I am really glad to have Rudy back.

Big Empty
02-22-2018, 12:43 PM
If Kawhi is gone i hope we get a lottery pick. Then if he truley is unhappy we can trade he & LaMarcus for more young peices & draft picks. Whats the point of getting swept by GS or Houston in the first round and extending the season a week & a half.

venitian navigator
02-22-2018, 12:48 PM
They would have to lose basically every game for it to be a worth while tank. And I guarantee you guys like Manu, Tony, Gay, and LMA are not trying to lose games.

You are right, but the fact that Kiwhi is probably done for the season doesn't give much of enthusiasm to a team already struggling in a hard way against good teams...and the schedule coming is the worst possible.

sasaint
02-22-2018, 12:50 PM

:tu The ignorance about tanking on this board is pretty mind-boggling.

Dre_7
02-22-2018, 12:59 PM

:tu

Same here. He has a chance to make money in the off season so I am expecting him to play hard.

DieHardSpursFan1537
02-22-2018, 01:02 PM
Excited to see what DeJounte, Gay, and the crew can come up with since Kawhi is still out. First round exit is highly likely but this whole season has been fucked from the start smhhh

pad300
02-22-2018, 01:56 PM
Strategically, perhaps they should. I am of the opinion that they should look on the rest of this season as experimental/value building for this summer's trades. That means playing the young guys you want to keep for experience and game time, and the old guys you want to trade so they can show value, while older vets (and young guys you don't think are worth keeping) get to rest some. If this and the schedule means you miss the playoffs, well, you get a lottery ticket out of it (and we all may as well start praying; a pick in the top 8 would be a huge gift).

More minutes in other words, more minutes for Kyle, Dejounte, White, ?Bertans?, Mills, ?Pau?. Also for the 2-way guys (Hilliard, Costello), because we need to know if we want to keep them. Damned if I know what the PATFO thinks about Lauvergne now. Less for Forbes, Parker, Paul (not that this means much), LMA, Green, Manu. We will see if they do that.

Maybe go fishing in the D-league like we have done several times at the end of seasons. (would have to cut Paul...)

sasaint
02-22-2018, 01:58 PM
You are right, but the fact that Kiwhi is probably done for the season doesn't give much of enthusiasm to a team already struggling in a hard way against good teams...and the schedule coming is the worst possible.

I think you underestimate their "enthusiasm." While Kawhi is the undoubted #1 option, LMA has stepped up in most games. I suspect his promotion (even if by default) to #1 option has increased his enthusiasm. Tony and Manu are multi-NBA champions. They will play with the same pride and enthusiasm they always have. Coming back from injury and playing for a better organization than his old team, Rudy will play with pride and enthusiasm. Heck he is playing for his next contract - or possibly to become the Spurs' #2 option. Danny, likewise, is playing for a contract; and I think he has played with a lot of energy and enthusiasm. Most everybody else is a young gun trying to prove himself and perhaps gain a roster spot (with some team) next season. Patty... no pressure, still seems to play with a lot of energy even if his D is TURRIBLE and his shot is gone. I don't think any of those guys depends on Kawhi's presence in order to play with "enthusiasm." Could it be that you are projecting? No doubt, Kawhi's absence dampens the enthusiasm of many, if not most, fans.

sasaint
02-22-2018, 02:01 PM
Strategically, perhaps they should. I am of the opinion that they should look on the rest of this season as experimental/value building for this summer's trades. That means playing the young guys you want to keep for experience and game time, and the old guys you want to trade so they can show value, while older vets (and young guys you don't think are worth keeping) get to rest some. If this and the schedule means you miss the playoffs, well, you get a lottery ticket out of it (and we all may as well start praying; a pick in the top 8 would be a huge gift).

More minutes in other words, more minutes for Kyle, Dejounte, White, ?Bertans?, Mills, ?Pau?. Also for the 2-way guys (Hilliard, Costello), because we need to know if we want to keep them. Damned if I know what the PATFO thinks about Lauvergne now. Less for Forbes, Parker, Paul (not that this means much), LMA, Green, Manu. We will see if they do that.

Maybe go fishing in the D-league like we have done several times at the end of seasons. (would have to cut Paul...)

I agree with the main thrust of your post. But just look at the records of every team in the league; there is no way that the Spurs pick will be as high as 8.

pad300
02-22-2018, 02:05 PM
I agree with the main thrust of your post. But just look at the records of every team in the league; there is no way that the Spurs pick will be as high as 8.

Unless we get lucky in the lottery - see what got us TD...

Leetonidas
02-22-2018, 02:07 PM
3rd in the West with 20ish games to go is tanking? Lol no

BatManu20
02-22-2018, 02:08 PM
:lol No.. Spurs would never tank now. Championship culture and players don't give a shit about the draft, especially with as many vets as we have. They're playing to win every game, and we're going to finish with 44-47 wins and a pick in the early 20's.

phxspurfan
02-22-2018, 02:41 PM
Spurs aren't tanking. But they aren't delusional either (which is why they're starting randoms like Kyle and Bertans and are now starting Murray). They want to see what they have before they give them 50 million dollar loyalty deals

sasaint
02-22-2018, 06:43 PM
:lol No.. Spurs would never tank now. Championship culture and players don't give a shit about the draft, especially with as many vets as we have. They're playing to win every game, and we're going to finish with 44-47 wins and a pick in the early 20's.

Exactly. Thanks for your reality-based perspective.

Spur|n|Austin
02-22-2018, 07:09 PM
LOL op, they're tanking with 35 wins?

YGWHI
02-22-2018, 07:28 PM
Excited to see what DeJounte, Gay, and the crew can come up with since Kawhi is still out. First round exit is highly likely but this whole season has been fucked from the start smhhh

I doubt it. All depends on matchups but I truly believe the Spurs could beat teams like Denver, Utah, NO, Portland in 6, 7 games series

TimDunkem
02-22-2018, 07:44 PM
^ Spurs can't even beat Utah without Gobert and Mitchell. :lol

ducks
02-22-2018, 07:45 PM
Liberals are fools

mexicanjunior
02-22-2018, 07:53 PM
It's too late, we should have started tanking in November when it was obvious Kawhi was done...

rasuo214
02-23-2018, 10:49 AM
Way too late to tank. Might as well give the old guys one more shot at the playoffs before things potentially go to shit in the off-season.

rastaspur
02-23-2018, 12:55 PM
No.

daslicer
02-23-2018, 01:07 PM
Spurs already have 35 wins. Even if they tried to tank they would win at least 6 or 7 games by accident. Which would have them finishing the season with over 40 wins and that probably still gets them into the playoffs. It's too late to tank.

cd98
02-23-2018, 01:59 PM
Too late to tank. Other teams have already lost too many games. Why tank to get a low end lottery pick? Better off trying to win 50 games and make a run in the playoffs to create the illusion that SA is still a contender.

venitian navigator
02-24-2018, 03:31 AM
I think you underestimate their "enthusiasm." While Kawhi is the undoubted #1 option, LMA has stepped up in most games. I suspect his promotion (even if by default) to #1 option has increased his enthusiasm. Tony and Manu are multi-NBA champions. They will play with the same pride and enthusiasm they always have. Coming back from injury and playing for a better organization than his old team, Rudy will play with pride and enthusiasm. Heck he is playing for his next contract - or possibly to become the Spurs' #2 option. Danny, likewise, is playing for a contract; and I think he has played with a lot of energy and enthusiasm. Most everybody else is a young gun trying to prove himself and perhaps gain a roster spot (with some team) next season. Patty... no pressure, still seems to play with a lot of energy even if his D is TURRIBLE and his shot is gone. I don't think any of those guys depends on Kawhi's presence in order to play with "enthusiasm." Could it be that you are projecting? No doubt, Kawhi's absence dampens the enthusiasm of many, if not most, fans.

No, i'm not.
No Kiwhi means no chance at a title...and the outcome of the last games till now suggest that, as a young talent level, with no Kiwhi we are not a play offs team.
We had a wonderful schedule, the best till now...now cames the worst part.
And experienced people like Manu and TP knows that...
Coming to the single players.
No chance at a title, for a veteran, means less enthusiasm to play.
Alridge has already accomplished his main goals (being at the All Star game and show he is still an all star player and deserved his contract...thatn as of now looks like a good contract). So no chance at a title means he colud start thinking to better preserve his body for next season.
Manu is showing the normal pains of an aged body who's being asked this year to carry the load more than his body can, and his contract is for another year...so its logical he's gonna think he should better preserve the last energyes for a last run next year than for this one. TP and Gay both come from a bad injuryes and have already shown that, if healed, they can contribute some...but at this point is logical they're gonna think is better for them ton treat their bodies well and avoid further risks of re-injury. Them both, like Pau, are veterans that understand is better to preserve their body for a real run next year (Pau is under contract, imho Gay is gonna pick up his option and Tony will be given some years at the minimum a la Manu as a point guard reserve role).
Green has a weird situation in the sense that's true he's playing for a contract, but its also true that his nagging groin injuries have been recurrent this year, so he could also think that's better not to play too hard with his body... if he's gonna injure himself he has only the chance to opt in next year (p.o. year).
Mills is playing like shit this year...and his enthusiasm this season has probably been more for the table (I mean for eating and drinking stuff) than for the court, thanks for the summer contract he signed.
You are right that the young guns (Murray, Bertans, Forbes, Jolo, Kyle, White, Paul) should be enthusiastic to exploit the opportunity to play, but none of them, except for some games, till now has shown enough talent to carry the team or be considered a potential future star...and they can't be asked too much. So their enthusiasm, considering the situation, also if present and big at the beginning, is gonna be limited game by game.

sasaint
02-24-2018, 08:52 AM
No, i'm not.
No Kiwhi means no chance at a title...and the outcome of the last games till now suggest that, as a young talent level, with no Kiwhi we are not a play offs team.
We had a wonderful schedule, the best till now...now cames the worst part.
And experienced people like Manu and TP knows that...
Coming to the single players.
No chance at a title, for a veteran, means less enthusiasm to play.
Alridge has already accomplished his main goals (being at the All Star game and show he is still an all star player and deserved his contract...thatn as of now looks like a good contract). So no chance at a title means he colud start thinking to better preserve his body for next season.
Manu is showing the normal pains of an aged body who's being asked this year to carry the load more than his body can, and his contract is for another year...so its logical he's gonna think he should better preserve the last energyes for a last run next year than for this one. TP and Gay both come from a bad injuryes and have already shown that, if healed, they can contribute some...but at this point is logical they're gonna think is better for them ton treat their bodies well and avoid further risks of re-injury. Them both, like Pau, are veterans that understand is better to preserve their body for a real run next year (Pau is under contract, imho Gay is gonna pick up his option and Tony will be given some years at the minimum a la Manu as a point guard reserve role).
Green has a weird situation in the sense that's true he's playing for a contract, but its also true that his nagging groin injuries have been recurrent this year, so he could also think that's better not to play too hard with his body... if he's gonna injure himself he has only the chance to opt in next year (p.o. year).
Mills is playing like shit this year...and his enthusiasm this season has probably been more for the table (I mean for eating and drinking stuff) than for the court, thanks for the summer contract he signed.
You are right that the young guns (Murray, Bertans, Forbes, Jolo, Kyle, White, Paul) should be enthusiastic to exploit the opportunity to play, but none of them, except for some games, till now has shown enough talent to carry the team or be considered a potential future star...and they can't be asked too much. So their enthusiasm, considering the situation, also if present and big at the beginning, is gonna be limited game by game.

Well, I disagree with your projections, so we will just have to see how this last part of the season goes.

Rob123
03-04-2018, 11:51 AM
Bump

Jdspur20
03-04-2018, 11:56 AM
Bump

Now it’s time to tank. :toast

YGWHI
03-04-2018, 03:00 PM
The Spurs aren't tanking.

This is the same unbalanced roster that was #3 in the West having one of the most easiest schedules in the league, then they started to face good teams just before the ASG break...they didn't look that well in those games.

But I wouldn't use injuries as an excuse...Other teams did well having one, two stars injured. Boston missed Hayward for the season and still won many games without Irving. Mediocre-Pels are in a winning streak without Boogie...

At some point of this month Pop will stop playing his weird lineups and the Spurs will make playoffs/pass the first round.

YGWHI
03-04-2018, 03:04 PM
^ Spurs can't even beat Utah without Gobert and Mitchell. :lol
As much as I like Snyder and his team, last time I checked...they weren't making playoffs this year.

DPG21920
03-04-2018, 03:23 PM
Dude, no Kawhi is a way bigger impact than most of the guys you mentioned. Not to mention, SA is STILL in the playoff hunt which shows you many things: these other teams aren’t doing much to catch the Spurs themselves or distance themselves because the West is hard. It also shows that SA, even with an “easy schedule” to start did more with those opportunities than other teams. SA has played really damn well lately but the last minute meltdowns leave a sour taste.

Kawhi out is more important than a brand new Hayward, Boogie or any other player mentioned and its not close.

TimDunkem
03-04-2018, 03:23 PM
As much as I like Snyder and his team, last time I checked...they weren't making playoffs this year.

Good news for the Spurs then. :lmao

tmtcsc
03-04-2018, 04:01 PM
I didn't want to believe the Spurs would tank but I am starting to feel its happening. Aldridge's injury didn't look severe & for him to miss a game and a half for it so far is ridiculous. I didn't watch one second of the Lakers game but the result didn't surprise me. This team is straight up trash w/o Leonard or Aldridge playing and might be trash with them. What an ass-whip, depressing season for Spurs fans.

tmtcsc
03-04-2018, 04:05 PM
SA has played really damn well lately.

https://media.giphy.com/media/i1JSXl0MfeRd6/giphy.gif

illusioNtEk
03-04-2018, 04:19 PM
how about 8th seed and go all out on these warriors play with no pressure get a feel for them for next year

YGWHI
03-04-2018, 04:35 PM
It also shows that SA, even with an “easy schedule” to start did more with those opportunities than other teams.
If the Spurs had an easy schedulle that could mean other potential rivals had harder schedulles early in the season. But now, in the way the Spurs play this month will show if their top seeding was the product of the schedulle or not.

SA has played really damn well lately but the last minute meltdowns leave a sour taste.
I wouldn't say they played great but they competed.

I LOVE them, I still believe they could pass 1st round without Kawhi but I would say this is an unbalanced roster even if they were #1 in the whole league.
Too many guards, lack of true shooters, some questionable summer decisions...

r0drig0lac
03-04-2018, 04:40 PM
how about 8th seed and go all out on these rockets play with no pressure get a feel for them for next year

SAGirl
03-04-2018, 04:41 PM
Lamarcus has started to miss games at this point. He was a workhorse all season but is lately getting injured.
Two before the ASB, were losses. Two recently (early Pelicans ankle tweak) both losses. It's not just the impact that he has, you are left playing Gasol 30+ minutes and he's been a negative player often. He gets exposed in matchup in fast tempo, against shooters. In the PNR etc. He has his positives still but he's not a 30+ minutes player anymore, then you have Joff. He's finally finishing at the rim better but when Davis is defensively better than him, you know that Joff is an absolute traffic cone with no length to really contest shots the bench has been awful.

Rob123
03-05-2018, 04:01 PM
For the Spurs tanking doesn't necessarily mean a lottery pick.

The Spurs organization can mold most late round college prospects into solid NBA rotation players. Sure they whiff on a few and sure some of the rotation players are end of the bench rotation players, but never the less they have been great at developing players that no one would have even realistically taken a chance on.

Thus, if the spurs can get a pick at #11 or #12.... lookout! Wont be the leagues next superstar but I trust their talent evaluation and development process enough to turn that pick into a very productive NBA starter which is really all the Spurs need at this point next to LA, Kawhi, and Murray.

spurs50_
03-05-2018, 04:12 PM
Draft and stash

Rob123
03-11-2018, 12:06 AM
Bump

Nathan89
03-11-2018, 12:11 AM
https://media.giphy.com/media/i1JSXl0MfeRd6/giphy.gif:lol

spursistan
03-11-2018, 05:50 AM
They are not..It is just a poorly constructed team with a washed-up coach finally getting shown up for all to see :lol..

SuperCam
03-11-2018, 08:52 AM
1 game out of 9th seed :wow

Chomag
03-11-2018, 09:52 AM
Trying to tank nothing ... they are really just this bad

Rob123
03-12-2018, 08:23 AM
No. They're clearly tanking. The Spurs have proven they're even great at tanking. They saw the season was lost and now they're doing their best to throw games.

It's a fairly deep draft. There's value to be found in the late lottery.

MaNu4Tres
03-12-2018, 08:32 AM
They are not..It is just a poorly constructed team with a washed-up coach finally getting shown up for all to see :lol..

This tbh.

Pop has been done for a few years now & him & RC shit the bed last summer.

SAGirl
03-12-2018, 09:31 AM
I don't think they are tanking. They aren't a good team without Kawhi. Many core members are very old, injury prone, or washed up. Then they have a young cast that's quite green.

So perhaps it is time to focus on the silver lining.
Jeff's take:

SAGirl
03-12-2018, 09:42 AM
Damn. Rudy hasn't really added wins tbh. :rolleyes

TimDunkem
03-12-2018, 11:45 AM
Damn. Rudy hasn't really added wins tbh. :rolleyes

He's been mediocre although it's hard for a guy coming off several injuries to impress when his coach doesnt even use him correctly, tbh.