PDA

View Full Version : Obama Library's Public Cost Estimated at $175 million!

Chris
02-25-2018, 05:00 PM
https://media3.giphy.com/media/3o6ZtgZVedO3unCRRm/giphy.gif

https://media3.giphy.com/media/XpOnIoIDxsfTy/giphy.gif

The planned Obama Presidential Center in Chicago is being privately funded, but on Friday city officials estimated how much taxpayers will pay for roadwork and other construction around the center: $175 million.

It was the first time city officials put a specific dollar figure on the expected cost to the public, the Chicago Tribune reported.

“These proposed investments are intended to make the (center) and surrounding Jackson Park a world-class destination on par with Chicago’s Museum Campus,” the city’s Department of Transportation (CDOT) told the newspaper, in a statement accompanying the figures.

The planned taxpayer-funded work would include widening portions of some surrounding streets and constructing four or five new underpasses, the report said.

City officials said they intended to pursue “all potential options” for the project, including allocations from the state of Illinois.

The information was made public ahead of a scheduled meeting Tuesday, at which representatives from the Obama Foundation, a nonprofit leading the center’s construction, is expected to detail its plans, the report said.

CDOT spokesman Michael Claffey told the Tribune that presidential libraries often get state financing for nearby infrastructure. The Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum in Springfield, Ill., received $100 million in such funding, he said.

However, in January, more than 100 University of Chicago professors and faculty members signed a letter saying that they and a wide range of neighborhood and activist groups agreed that “the Obama Center as currently planned will not provide the promised development or economic benefits to the neighborhoods” on the South Side of Chicago.

They noted that because the center will be located near an existing museum and the University of Chicago, there will be no land to start new businesses or restaurants nearby.

The Tribune reported Thursday that the project was revealing race and class differences between its supporters and opponents, with one African-American woman telling the paper she has bene accused of being anti-black.

“All I wanted to do was make sure my kids could play with no garage in their park,” Bronwyn Nichols Lodato told the paper. “I have three young children and we live in a condo and the Midway is our yard. My story is simply, how can we keep the park so our kids could play there?”

In January, the former president said in a video statement that he has been "pretty hands-on" with the project and hoped it could help revitalize the neighborhood.

“Michelle and I want this center to be more than just a building,” Obama said. “We want to create an economic engine for the South Side of Chicago, a cultural attraction that showcases the South Side to the rest of the world.”

The center is scheduled to open in 2021.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/02/24/obama-librarys-public-cost-estimated-at-175m-report.html

boutons_deux
02-25-2018, 05:05 PM
Oligarchy tax cut deficit $1.5T and 10Ks fucking DEAD from lack health care and new pollution

Pavlov
02-25-2018, 05:07 PM
White Chris still triggered.

Spurtacular
02-25-2018, 05:07 PM
And this ladies and gentlemen are why Democrats will always love taxes. It all goes to their personal piggy banks.

Spurtacular
02-25-2018, 05:08 PM
White Chris still triggered.

White Chump still cucked.

Pavlov
02-25-2018, 05:09 PM
And this ladies and gentlemen are why Democrats will always love taxes. It all goes to their personal piggy banks.Um, what money is going into their personal piggy banks here?

White Chump still cucked.White Jimmerfan still not knowing how to use words.

Spurtacular
02-25-2018, 05:25 PM
Um, what money is going into their personal piggy banks here?

:lmao Yea, it really takes $175 million to build a few ancillary improvements.
:lmao Blue-pilled Chump.

Spurminator
02-25-2018, 08:27 PM
Somehow, despite spending hours a day practicing the craft, you guys have actually gotten worse at faking outrage.

Spurtacular
02-25-2018, 08:43 PM
Somehow, despite spending hours a day practicing the craft, you guys have actually gotten worse at faking outrage.

How many wasted millions warrant "outrage"?

Pavlov
02-26-2018, 02:36 AM
:lmao Yea, it really takes $175 million to build a few ancillary improvements.
:lmao Blue-pilled Chump.You didn't answer the question.

What money is going into their personal piggy banks here?

Spurtacular
02-26-2018, 02:40 AM
You didn't answer the question.

What money is going into their personal piggy banks here?

I did answer the crux of the question. That said, I know what you're doing. You want to get lost in the weeds. You should seriously get a life.

spurraider21
02-26-2018, 02:42 AM
I did answer the crux of the question. That said, I know what you're doing. You want to get lost in the weeds. You should seriously get a life.
you didnt answer anything.

you made the claim that it goes into their piggybanks and waived the white flag when asked to expand on that

Pavlov
02-26-2018, 02:42 AM
I did answer the crux of the question.No. You did not.

What money is going into their personal piggy banks here as you claimed?

It's your claim. Prove it.

Spurtacular
02-26-2018, 02:46 AM
you didnt answer anything.

you made the claim that it goes into their piggybanks and waived the white flag when asked to expand on that

Okay, you tell me what $175 million gets spent on that's so worth it. I'm not the one being a child and pretending I don't know how these things go. The exact persons enriching themselves are of no consequence to me at this time.

Spurtacular
02-26-2018, 02:47 AM
No. You did not.

What money is going into their personal piggy banks here as you claimed?

It's your claim. Prove it.

I'm telling you how shit works. Accept it / don't accept it. Not my problem either way.

Pavlov
02-26-2018, 02:49 AM
I'm telling you how shit works. Accept it / don't accept it. Not my problem either way.All you have to tell me is what money is going into their personal piggy banks.

Tell everyone how shit works.

Pavlov
02-26-2018, 02:52 AM
Okay, you tell me what $175 million gets spent on that's so worth it. I'm not the one being a child and pretending I don't know how these things go. The exact persons enriching themselves are of no consequence to me at this time.:lol You just admitted you've been talking out of your ass this whole time.

Considering the cost of road improvements around other projects and the general costs of construction in urban areas, it doesn't seem terribly out of bounds tbh.

Spurtacular
02-26-2018, 03:26 AM
All you have to tell me is what money is going into their personal piggy banks.

Tell everyone how shit works.

I told you the way of the world. You taking an extra strength blue pill is not my problem.

Spurtacular
02-26-2018, 03:28 AM
:lol You just admitted you've been talking out of your ass this whole time.

Considering the cost of road improvements around other projects and the general costs of construction in urban areas, it doesn't seem terribly out of bounds tbh.

I see. Well, seeing as now you are making a "claim" now, go ahead and itemize those costs and let's see what they're getting for the $175 million.

Pavlov
02-26-2018, 03:36 AM
I told you the way of the world. You taking an extra strength blue pill is not my problem.You just made something up then shit yourself when you got called on it.

I see. Well, seeing as now you are making a "claim" now, go ahead and itemize those costs and let's see what they're getting for the $175 million.I'm going to compare it to a larger construction project that came to my mind, the Las Vegas NFL stadium off an existing roadway.

A 2016 study by CH2M estimated the costs for the improvements to be $899 million

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2017/mar/29/with-nfl-stadium-on-the-way-attention-turns-to-i-1/

So, considering differences in scale and location -- not completely unreasonable.

If you think it should cost less, you are free to itemize everything in the project and make sure to say which money is going into personal piggy banks.

Spurtacular
02-26-2018, 03:41 AM
You just made something up then shit yourself when you got called on it.

I'm going to compare it to a larger construction project that came to my mind, the Las Vegas NFL stadium off an existing roadway.

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2017/mar/29/with-nfl-stadium-on-the-way-attention-turns-to-i-1/

So, considering differences in scale and location -- not completely unreasonable.

If you think it should cost less, you are free to itemize everything in the project and make sure to say which money is going into personal piggy banks.

Funny you should bring up something in which the municipality spends a couple billion dollars and gets no ownership. You get how this works yet? You sniffing it yet? Too many blue pills?

Pavlov
02-26-2018, 03:43 AM
Funny you should bring up something in which the municipality spends a couple billion dollars and gets no ownership. You get how this works yet? You sniffing it yet? Too many blue pills?Yeah, you're changing the subject again.

Personal piggy banks for the presidential library road improvements, remember?

Tell us all how that works.

AaronY
02-26-2018, 05:09 AM
Good for them :tu

American heroes tbh should be statues and plaques of them everywhere

Spurtacular
02-26-2018, 09:24 AM
Good for them :tu

American heroes tbh should be statues and plaques of them everywhere

Yea, stealing all those billions in the bailout, creating ISIS, etc. Let's build him statues plaques all over. :lmao

clambake
02-26-2018, 09:51 AM
too many chem trails

hater
02-26-2018, 10:44 AM
Probably wasting 5,000 per toilet seat, 3,000 per chair, etc, etc

USA is most corrupt nation in the world

Blake
02-26-2018, 11:07 AM
Probably wasting 5,000 per toilet seat, 3,000 per chair, etc, etc

USA is most corrupt nation in the world

The toilets are privately funded

Winehole23
07-24-2018, 12:35 AM
19 acres of public parkland leased for $1?

Public park freak sues to stop Obama Library, Crain's business news with the skinny:

Herb Caplan should know better than to fight City Hall, but when he spots what he considers a political fast one in Chicago, he just can't help himself.

That's why Protect Our Parks, a Chicago nonprofit he leads, is suing the city and Chicago Park District to stop the Obama Presidential Center from being built in Jackson Park. Caplan, 87, who once worked as a lawyer for former Mayor Harold Washington, calls the city plan to lease 19 Jackson Park acres to former President Barack Obama's foundation for $1 a "political manipulation" that breaks the law by handing over public land and tramples the city's legacy of open parks.

The federal lawsuit filed in May might seem a legal long shot, since the center is an ode to Obama, the city's favorite son. But Caplan's challenge forced the city last month to reveal that the Obama Center isn't quite the done deal that many Chicagoans think it is: The city hasn't reached key agreements or a lease with the foundation, and those pacts will require another new city ordinance to be passed sometime soon.

Retired lawyer Herb Caplan heads up Protect Our Parks, which successfully litigated against Latin School of Chicago's plan to remake a field in Lincoln Park a decade ago.http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20180720/ISSUE01/180719838/obama-center-lawsuit-unearths-key-facts-about-chicago-project

Chris
08-14-2018, 05:12 PM

clambake
08-14-2018, 05:13 PM
"build that library!!!!!!"

Pavlov
08-14-2018, 05:22 PM
1029309169625714688lol still triggering you

boutons_deux
08-14-2018, 05:56 PM
Trump golfing and numerous vacations at MaL and Bedminster are now costing costing taxpayers well of $200M, heading towards $500M, iow, one half beelyun by Jan 2021.

then add in the $100Ms revenues that Trash and family have pocketed from emoluments.

Winehole23
11-18-2020, 08:56 AM
exemption granted for oceanfront property in Hawaii

https://www.propublica.org/article/oceanfront-property-tied-to-obama-granted-exemption-from-hawaiis-environmental-laws

Winehole23
11-18-2020, 08:58 AM
background on the "beach house loopholes'

https://www.propublica.org/article/obama-and-the-beach-house-loopholes

Winehole23
12-28-2020, 10:22 AM
19 acres of public parkland leased for $1?

Public park freak sues to stop Obama Library, Crain's business news with the skinny:

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20180720/ISSUE01/180719838/obama-center-lawsuit-unearths-key-facts-about-chicago-projectAmy Coney Barrett slapped down the lawsuit:

Obama’s papers will live elsewhere; this $500 million project is not a presidential library but a museum celebrating the former president, overseen by the Obama Foundation, whose board is made up of a distasteful gang of financiers, with private equity well represented. As Wall Street Journal opinion writer James Freeman sardonically noted last week, Obama is impinging on “treasured green space to realize his vision of a self-tribute in stone and glass.” The groups fighting the project argue that it will wreak environmental damage on Jackson Park. They argue that the project will destroy much of the natural life in the park, including four hundred trees. They also say the tower will interfere with needed sunlight during the day, cause light pollution at night, and interfere with bird migration (the park is apparently a well-known route for birds).

The community activists also fear that the project will lure a large number of tourists and car traffic, disrupting what is currently a relatively calm and natural retreat. They also find the design of the project garish and vulgar, at odds with the aesthetics of the Frederick Law Olmsted–designed park, a historic 1893 World’s Fair site which was restored back to naturalistic parkland after the fair. The activists have presented alternative designs and traffic plans, but the Obama Foundation has ignored them — as arrogant multimillionaires tend to do when faced with suggestions from the little people.

In August, Amy Coney Barrett, then a Trump-appointed judge for the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals, struck a blow for her ruling class comrades, issuing an opinion that has been crucial in Obama’s fight against the community activists. She ruled that the coalition bringing the suit against the Obama project, Protect Our Parks, lacked standing to argue that the project would damage Jackson Park, because they could not argue that it would cause damage to themselves. In an extremely right-wing reading of the concept of “standing” which alarmingly eviscerates the idea of the public interest, she wrote, “The plaintiffs can’t repackage an injury to the park as an injury to themselves.” She even specifically rejected the plaintiffs’ arguments that they had standing to fight for the park as taxpayers.
https://jacobinmag.com/2020/12/obama-presidential-library-jackson-park-chicago-amy-coney-barrett-trump

spurraider21
12-28-2020, 01:00 PM
more like.... Amy Commie Barrett

Winehole23
08-20-2021, 12:27 PM
more like.... Amy Commie Barrettagain

https://lawandcrime.com/supreme-court/justice-amy-coney-barrett-rejects-last-ditch-petition-for-scotus-to-shut-down-construction-of-obamas-presidential-library/

Winehole23
08-20-2021, 12:29 PM
https://www.snopes.com/tachyon/2020/12/EouTiEbVgAkus5x-e1607973991645.jpeg

Winehole23
09-11-2021, 11:11 AM
wrecking a Frederick Olmstead public park and the surrounding neighborhood to satisfy Obama's vanity

Ef-man
09-11-2021, 12:18 PM
wrecking a Frederick Olmstead public park and the surrounding neighborhood to satisfy Obama's vanity

Mexico will pay for the library!

Winehole23
08-30-2023, 01:23 AM