PDA

View Full Version : The Alamodome is so good for football

Vashner
10-19-2005, 05:23 PM
I was so impressed with the Saints Bills game. That place just feels good for football. Plenty of cold beer and LOT of bathrooms...

The dome looked and smelled clean and new. The new jumbo's are state of the art. You can see it bright at any angle.

I think all we need to do is convert some of the plaza sidelines to a few more luxury boxes.

Then spend more money outside for like the ultimate tailgating. Like building giant smokers all over the place and outside TV's with good game audio.

The park and ride station at the dome. It's perfect. Quick and easy. New propane buses are SWEET. I remember the diesel / spurs games it was nasty.

But now we have some sweet clean busses.

The biggest reason to keep an improved Alamodome. Is downtown too. It's more fun to hang out there before and after the game. I am sure the retailers would agree.
http://www.thecityofsanantonio.com/escape/alamodome.jpg

Shiner Bock Girl
10-19-2005, 05:42 PM
I was so impressed with the Saints Bills game. That place just feels good for football. Plenty of cold beer and LOT of bathrooms...

The dome looked and smelled clean and new. The new jumbo's are state of the art. You can see it bright at any angle.

I think all we need to do is convert some of the plaza sidelines to a few more luxury boxes.

Then spend more money outside for like the ultimate tailgating. Like building giant smokers all over the place and outside TV's with good game audio.

The park and ride station at the dome. It's perfect. Quick and easy. New propane buses are SWEET. I remember the diesel / spurs games it was nasty.

The biggest reason to keep an improved Alamodome. Is downtown too. It's more fun to hang out there before and after the game. I am sure the retailers would agree.

Well i wasn't able to attend the Bill's game but i was at the Falcon's....Whats up with the sound system...I've heard several ppl say there is sound only on one end of the field, and i was on the opposite and it was annoying not hearing the speakers...Are they going to fix that??? Other then that, IT WAS SOOO AWESOME....I LOVE YOU SAN ANTONIOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

blaze89
10-19-2005, 05:53 PM

When was this image taken?

scott
10-19-2005, 05:57 PM
Shiner Girl... supposedly the upgrades to the sound system will come in the offseason, regardless of whether or not the Saints come here. At least that is what I heard.

TheWriter
10-19-2005, 05:59 PM
Shiner Girl... supposedly the upgrades to the sound system will come in the offseason, regardless of whether or not the Saints come here. At least that is what I heard.

Yep. It's part of a upgrade that the Alamodome is currently in the process of. The new screens where the begining of said upgrade.

SA210
10-19-2005, 06:06 PM
I'd rather upgrade the dome instead of a new one on some other side of town. But I would want it remodeled only if it were made to SUPERBOWL standards so we could bid for that as well as for the Olympic games. I have many other ideas on how to upgrade the dome too, i wanna get them to the city.

Shiner Bock Girl
10-19-2005, 06:06 PM

KOOL, that was my only beef...You know, before i thought a new location would be better, but after the awesome tailgating and near all the downtown action, its in a pretty awesome place...It would be cheaper to do major upgrades then build a new one.....What Vashner suggested was really kool....Hell i'm just excited i got to go to a SA NFL game....By the way, when i was in New England for 5 months back in 2001, they absolutely have nothing on SA on tailgating...I got to go to a few Patriots games and NY Giants, and their tailgaing was not even half what SA was......I was sooo impressed....I really do love this city and iam proud to be a born and raised Texan... ;)

TheWriter
10-19-2005, 06:10 PM
It's be cool if they integrated a new stadium into the NoDo development River North.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a396/insidethe210/P1011895.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a396/insidethe210/P1011910.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a396/insidethe210/P1011909.jpg

Shiner Bock Girl
10-19-2005, 06:12 PM
It's be cool if they integrated a new stadium into the NoDo development River North.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a396/insidethe210/P1011895.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a396/insidethe210/P1011910.jpg

Hell that would be KOOL.... :elephant

Marcus Bryant
10-19-2005, 06:13 PM
I'd take a picture of what I saw on TV and post it on the internets, but then I'd have to kill myself.

TheWriter
10-19-2005, 06:13 PM
I'd take a picture of what I saw on a TV and post it on the internets, but then I'd have to kill myself.

I cut myself and who's there with the band-aid?

Shiner Bock Girl
10-19-2005, 06:15 PM
I'd take a picture of what I saw on TV and post it on the internets, but then I'd have to kill myself.

I'm beginning to wonder about you 2.....
:nope :nope :nope

Shiner Bock Girl
10-19-2005, 06:17 PM

Hey i'd like to know also, when was that image taken??? I t looks incredable

TheWriter
10-19-2005, 06:17 PM
I'm beginning to wonder about you 2.....
:nope :nope :nope

It's sad really. He has no other life than to follow me around these boards looking for the right time to lay down some weak smack.

Shiner Bock Girl
10-19-2005, 06:19 PM
It's sad really. He has no other life than to follow me around these boards looking for the right time to lay some weak smack.

:lmao :lmao :lmao

gameFACE
10-20-2005, 12:05 AM
Corporate backing is going to be crucial as well as serious upgrades to the Alamodome to accomodate the number of suites required. That means structural modifications which means $$$. If a new stadium is built, which is what Benson will ideally demand for a long term commitment - what should be done with the Alamodome?

I always thought HEB could step up to the plate here. How about Butt Stadium?
"Come on down and shake the Butt?"

Vashner
10-20-2005, 12:09 AM
We can get it done as long as we spend the money properly. The Alamodome as a superstructure does not need to be reworked. It's just got a renovation and a new coat of paint.

Only the sideline part of the plaza needs to be expanded into more suites. If we manage the contracts with proper bidding and oversite we can get it done on the cheap.

gameFACE
10-20-2005, 12:17 AM
But the question is how do you expand? A suite has seats that are spaced wider. In doing that you actually eliminate seats. I've sat in the club level and it's nothing to write the guys at the golf course about. So there has to be a way to utilize the corners. But right now they're restricted by the four large pylons. That's why I think structural modifications will have to be made. It's all on what Benson demands. Mayor H has already said he doesn't want to use city funds but he'll most likely have to back track. If not then the county.

I still think the Butt could chip in.

blaze89
10-20-2005, 12:50 AM
I'm still cynical when it comes to this but if the NFL does come through, upgrades to the Alamodome will be not essential but mandatory. Aside from completing and updating the suites in the facility, the facility was complete in 1993, we need to bring it to 2005. I know of the turf and screen but sound system, etc.

And please, no, no, HELL NO on Butt Stadium. If you think the Spurs Fiesta colors were bad...

exstatic
10-20-2005, 06:23 PM
But I would want it remodeled only if it were made to SUPERBOWL standards so we could bid for that as well as for the Olympic games.

You can forget about the Superbowl being down here as long as Tagliabue is alive.

scott
10-20-2005, 06:36 PM
We aren't talking 1 or 2 more luxury boxes... we are talking essentially tripling the number of boxes. That will require a lot market effort to local and regional business, as well as some structural changes to the dome.

Vashner
10-20-2005, 06:51 PM
Structural change ... like I said rebuild plaza!..

We have no shortage of cheap labor in town... you smash it up.. put in glass .. nice seats and furnishing. It's not that hard for a city with the labor and service resources we have. Can be done in offseason with a hardass manager...

This would reduce the capacity a bit to maybe 62,000 but would add plenty of lux boxes.

scott
10-20-2005, 08:02 PM
I don't think there is enough room in the plaza level as it exists today to go from 37 luxury boxes to 100.

SA210
10-20-2005, 08:30 PM
Man if we went to something like 62,000 seats, we'd be going backwards. I don't like how the 4 corners separate the fans. It looks better when everyones all together in full circle, or oval.

Vashner
10-20-2005, 10:24 PM
We went from 34 to 18 with SBC.
I don't think we need exactly 100 lux boxes but at least double what we have now.

My point is let's get some more money's worth out of the dome. It's in a great place with a great public transportation system built into it (park and ride super terminal).

gameFACE
10-20-2005, 11:41 PM
I agree about the good public transportation built in. But luxury boxes are one of the most key requirements an "updated" or new stadium needs to have. The Bears were out an entire season while Soldier Field was renovated. The dilemna in SA is where would they play while construction is going on? If a new stadium is built what would you do with an empty Alamodome? It may be outdated in terms of the NFL but as a structure in itself it's not. It would be a waste to not make the most out of it.

Vashner
10-21-2005, 12:32 AM
You don't need a new stadium.. geez.. It's made out of grade a concrete. There is a hole on 1604 and 281 where the dome came from. It can be modded without tearing down. And no it does not have to be round.

The plaza level can hold the weight of a 2 tier sideline luxury section.

Bottom is all glass and top is half glass (so you can hear the action).

Then we build like some crazy ultimate tailgate sections outside. Like 300 foot long cast iron grills with slots that sell for $$$. Also we build some kind of beltway that carries people into the riverwalk bringing even more money and some wild drunken all nighters like the old Spurs days.