PDA

View Full Version : 0-5?

DETROITpistons
10-19-2005, 06:07 PM
Why are the Spurs 0-5? I know it's just the pre-season, but still. I didn't watch any of the games, which is why I am asking..

Thanks

dknights411
10-19-2005, 06:12 PM
Because the Spurs were to busy watching the Saints.

John T
10-19-2005, 06:12 PM
Because the other team scored more points than we did in each of the games :) From what I can tell Pop is a lot more interested in trying to fit different pieces together and working on learning new skills/perfecting old ones than trying to win a pre-season game. After the Houston game Don said that they'd be more serious about winning the last several games.

Carie

Obstructed_View
10-19-2005, 06:13 PM
From watching the Pacers game last night, it looks like Pop is just letting the guys play while he evaluates talent. Since the majority of the team is already together that means a lot of lineup changes and no real continuity otherwise. The Spurs don't have anything to gain by playing starters enough minutes to win a game that everyone agrees is completely unimportant.

ducks
10-19-2005, 06:16 PM
why because the spurs have lots of preason games and when they have a few left the starters will play more

and pop could care less if they win or lose

FromWayDowntown
10-19-2005, 06:21 PM
I suspect that a lot of the continuity issues are being handled in practices, too. Pop makes it difficult for the Spurs to win preseason games by giving guys nights off, by bringing Ginobili and Bowen off the bench, by playing groups of mostly end-of-the-benchers or camp fodder at the end of games, and things like that.

I look more to particular spots to evaluate what's happening. For instance, though the Spurs lost last night, the group that started the 2nd half -- which was pretty much the second group -- reeled off a nice run before Carlisle called time out. After the timeout, Pop removed several of the guys who had been responsible for the run and played one of his patented odd combinations, which gave up the lead.

What we do know is that the starting group (Mohammed, Duncan, Bowen, Ginobili, and Parker) has pretty much only played the opening minutes of the preseason opener in Miami, and that group looked dominant. The likely rotation has played minutes resembling a regular season game only for the first 18-20 minutes of that Miami game and built an 18 point lead and ended the half up by 12. After that, it's been nothing but patchwork lineups and the results are predictable.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
10-19-2005, 06:27 PM
Look at the 3rd. and 4th. quarters line-ups in the different games:

Beno Udrih, Sean Marks, Melvin Sanders, Jawad Williams, Sharrod Ford, Kyle Bailey, Stephen Graham.

+ Tim Duncan, Ginobili, Mohammed, Oberto were DNP in some of those games. It's not worrying at all, Pop is more concerned with new guys learning the system.

ducks
10-19-2005, 06:29 PM
the main reason is beno closes out games and has been a turnover machine lately

Murphy
10-19-2005, 06:29 PM
0-5?? who cares, i'd rather pop keep the important guys healty, rather than burn them out risking them to injuries for meaningless games

RichieRich
10-19-2005, 06:35 PM
Pop knows how to spend his player's minutes wisely.

phyzik
10-19-2005, 06:37 PM
you ask why? I ask why not? Whats the point of winning in the pre-season anyway?

Besides, Pop has been quoted (I forget by who) as stating he is looking at the entire pre-season as an extended training camp.

but if you want some huge conspiracy theory, here you go:

Popovich is allowing other teams to win to give them a false sense of complacancy when they face the Spurs by making it seem like we aren't as tough as many thought. This will lead to teams not playing as hard as they should against the Spurs in the regular season.

mavsfan1000
10-19-2005, 06:40 PM
I don't understand why some teams take the preseason serious at all. It is the perfect time to rest your team. They will be playing 82 games so why even bother in the preseason.

NuGGeTs-FaN
10-19-2005, 06:45 PM
someone 4got to tell Phil that lol, Kobe played 40 minutes the other night

John T
10-19-2005, 07:07 PM
already hes doing his whole 'rest them for the playoffs' bullshit. i look forward to duncan playing 15 mins a game this year.

And this is a bad thing why?

Carie

nkdlunch
10-19-2005, 07:32 PM
"Typical preseason game where everybody just wants to get the damn thing over with," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "You hope nobody gets hurt, you want to get everybody a run so they start to get in shape, maybe get some familiarity out there.

ZStomp
10-19-2005, 08:39 PM
Because it's Pre Season...we're talking about Preseason!

Preseason!

NashtoAmare
10-19-2005, 08:55 PM
I know it's just pre-season but why haven't they won one game or atleast came close to winning one. I watched last nights game and Robert Horry and Mike looked pretty bad. Robert fouled out in 17min. and Mike couldn't hit a shot...I know it's just pre-season..but even i would like to see them win one game.

ObiwanGinobili
10-19-2005, 09:07 PM
and pop could care less if they win or lose

exactly.

anyone notice that Pop hasn't even stood up or used large gestures during any of the pre-season games. Nevermind going all "serbian"...... he obviously could give 2 rats asses if they win or lose - he;s lkooking at somehting else.

mavsfan1000
10-19-2005, 09:27 PM
We're talkin' bout PRESEASON man. I mean how funny is that. Not the regular season.

SpursWoman
10-19-2005, 09:36 PM
Pop's still having a hard time trying to figure out who's going to be our 14th guy. :)

Rummpd
10-19-2005, 09:41 PM
A Piston fan talking smack????

What was your team in the 4th quarter game 7 last year - 0 for 20 (or did it only seem like it!)

Oh I forgot this is the year of Darko!

ZStomp
10-19-2005, 09:46 PM
It's preseason!!

The Spurs could be 5-0 and that STILL wouldn't mean SHIT.

Sense
10-19-2005, 10:15 PM
I know it's just pre-season but why haven't they won one game or atleast came close to winning one. I watched last nights game and Robert Horry and Mike looked pretty bad. Robert fouled out in 17min. and Mike couldn't hit a shot...I know it's just pre-season..but even i would like to see them win one game.

Who gives a shit if they win or not...

The teams the Spurs are playing are taking advantage of the fact that Pop doesn't mind losing...

This is the only time they'll be able to beat the Spurs..

Solid D
10-19-2005, 10:30 PM
They are 0-5 because Sean Marks let a guard who got cut the next day score on him for the game-winner at the buzzer and their confidence was shot for the rest of the season out of shame. Now...they are just wayyyyy over-rated.

Slo spurs fan
10-20-2005, 01:05 AM
the main reason is beno closes out games and has been a turnover machine lately
Beno Udrih: Min/game 13.6 FG12-27 .444 3pointers 3-7 .429 FT 10-13 .769 Rebs/game 1.4 Ast/game 2.0 Steals/g 1.20 TO/g 1.80 Pts/g 7.4

Yeah he is really main reason the Spurs lost those games :rolleyes

TheWriter
10-20-2005, 01:18 AM
Because Manu, Tim, Tony, Bruce avg. less than 10 minutes a game. Ok, maybe 11.

Sportcamper
10-20-2005, 08:58 AM
0 & 5...What Gives? Spurs Fans are avoiding the topic like the Asian Bird Flu ......Every time we try to engage in basketball discussion someone starts a new thread about dress codes & how poorly another team is doing...

What's Going On With The Spurs? (http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:bOdvcTiJ2isJ:http://www.twaze.com/aolpix/ostrich.gif)

nkdlunch
10-20-2005, 09:04 AM
0 & 5...What Gives? Spurs Fans are avoiding the topic like the Asian Bird Flu ......Every time we try to engage in basketball discussion someone starts a new thread about dress codes & how poorly another team is doing...

What's Going On With The Spurs? (http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:bOdvcTiJ2isJ:http://www.twaze.com/aolpix/ostrich.gif)

because all of a sudden we suck! And the 0-5 is proof. We have not even a chance of beating the lakers! we're doomed!

is that what u wanna hear? happy now? :rolleyes

dmac
10-20-2005, 09:06 AM

PRE-SEASON.

As far as I can remember, these don't count. Never judge a teams performance by what happens in PRE-SEASON.

Let's have this convesation again in May or June.

King
10-20-2005, 09:20 AM

What was your team in the 4th quarter game 7 last year - 0 for 20 (or did it only seem like it!)

Calm down - don't think he was talking smack.

polandprzem
10-20-2005, 12:30 PM
come on guys!

Spurs must start winning this preseason
They must
They just must advance to the regular season

without a win they are fucked

Obstructed_View
10-20-2005, 12:31 PM
come on guys!

Spurs must start winning this preseason
They must
They just must advance to the regular season

without a win they are fucked
LOL.

clubalien
10-20-2005, 02:44 PM
1>:spurs always suck at the begaining of season
2>:) we NEED to FIRE pop

SirChaz
10-20-2005, 02:58 PM
The proper reply is who cares?

Everyone is 0-0 come November.

The Spurs are not some young team that will lose confidence if they don't win in the preseason. They are not trying to install a system or working in new starters.
I haven't followed them but I can guess they are using the preseson games to see what they have at the end of the bench.

Heck I can check the box scores and see that nobody is playing any serious minutes.

Having said all that if they lose to NO tonight they are screwed. ;)

Duncanoypi
10-20-2005, 03:10 PM
We are [email protected] Duncan for 2 future second round pick...

nkdlunch
10-20-2005, 03:12 PM
We are [email protected] Duncan for 2 future second round pick...

nobody wants Duncan! he won't wear suits!

polandprzem
10-20-2005, 04:24 PM
nobody wants Duncan! he won't wear suits!
thats right

and he is not that good a basketball player - he can't even advance to the regular season

damn

I must change the waggon

clubalien
10-20-2005, 04:31 PM
I would like to poitn out that tim duncan is also injury prone and what good is a player if he is always off the court
grant hill great player if he woudl ever actual play a game same as tim

ObiwanGinobili
10-20-2005, 04:57 PM
god the spurs suck!!

*0-5 i nthe pre-season... who wants to bet we can even advance to the regular season?
* Pop is just the shittiest coach of all time. he gets us nowhere. we would be an 8 ring dynasty if we didn't have that blow hard dragging us down.
* timmy is so freakin overrated. his actaull effectiveness on the court is +/- 0. it;s out secret shame. pluss his legs are like brittle glass from knee down.. one wrong step and it's alllll over baby.
*manu is a fucking flopper floppity flop flop. the king of flopdom.
*bowen is the nastiest dirtiest player on the planet. he could only be worse if he was out there swinging a bat Tonya Harding style. Plus - he's not a scorer so WTF do we have him? useless thug.

man, I really need to find a new team.
any suggestions?

Sense
10-20-2005, 05:32 PM

Lol, and I actually thought you were smart...

I should've thought of the fact that you were a homer when it comes to basketball...

I mean, you're a Lakers fan.

Solid D
10-20-2005, 05:43 PM
Sportcamper is smart. She posts in this place!!! :)

Extra Stout
10-20-2005, 05:52 PM
What 0-5 tells me is that the Finley/Van Exel experiment isn't working. They've totally disrupted the chemistry of this team.

And in losing TMass and replacing him with Oberto, the Spurs have taken a devastating downgrade.

Most of all, what's happening is that the rumors about Tim Duncan retiring because of the new dress code are true, and everyone is demoralized and just going through the motions.

With him gone, Manu and Tony will fight over who gets to be the new leader. They will split the team into two factions. Even Pop and P.J. will get split apart.

We're doomed. The team will set the all-time record for worst season, breaking the previous record of 9-73. Financial chaos will ensue, and the team will be forced to move to Little Rock, Arkansas.

The loss of the Spurs will send San Antonio into a tailspin. Rising gas prices will force Toyota to shut down the new Tundra plant. Unemployment will soar. Thousands of displaced, hungry people will wander the scrublands of South Texas.

You may say it's preseason and I'm overreacting? Well, we'll see when you're tired and hungry and wandering aimlessly in the searing desert winds, won't we?

phyzik
10-20-2005, 06:35 PM
What 0-5 tells me is that the Finley/Van Exel experiment isn't working. They've totally disrupted the chemistry of this team.

And in losing TMass and replacing him with Oberto, the Spurs have taken a devastating downgrade.

Most of all, what's happening is that the rumors about Tim Duncan retiring because of the new dress code are true, and everyone is demoralized and just going through the motions.

With him gone, Manu and Tony will fight over who gets to be the new leader. They will split the team into two factions. Even Pop and P.J. will get split apart.

We're doomed. The team will set the all-time record for worst season, breaking the previous record of 9-73. Financial chaos will ensue, and the team will be forced to move to Little Rock, Arkansas.

The loss of the Spurs will send San Antonio into a tailspin. Rising gas prices will force Toyota to shut down the new Tundra plant. Unemployment will soar. Thousands of displaced, hungry people will wander the scrublands of South Texas.

You may say it's preseason and I'm overreacting? Well, we'll see when you're tired and hungry and wandering aimlessly in the searing desert winds, won't we?

Jesus, now thats an imagination! :lol

Im gonna submit to the Trouble Shooters to find out if the gas prices are really linked to the Spurs pre-season or not.

A Serbian Beast
10-20-2005, 07:02 PM

If you read his post he wasn't really talking smack. He was just asking a question.

Spurs košarka kultura
10-20-2005, 08:54 PM
any suggestions?

Pacers!! From what I hear they're AWESOME, best in the league! They have some guy named Bender who is supposedly unstoppable!

Man In Black
10-20-2005, 09:01 PM
Championship core already in place. For the Spurs, pre-season is about getting the new guys some run.

REAL TEAMS CAN TELL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN WHAT'S IMPORTANT AND WHAT'S NOT. PAY ATTENTION FAN OF OTHER TEAMS.

Look at that bench, it's stronger than most starting teams right now and when the time comes...you're team will get it's ass kicked. It's as inevitable as Tim playing fundamental basketball.

ro_50
10-20-2005, 09:47 PM
It's preseason, thats why.

Vashner
10-20-2005, 10:33 PM
INJURY is a 5 letter word...

CHAMP is also a 5 letter word..

Get the plan? now good..

polandprzem
10-21-2005, 12:48 AM
god the spurs suck!!

*0-5 i nthe pre-season... who wants to bet we can even advance to the regular season?
* Pop is just the shittiest coach of all time. he gets us nowhere. we would be an 8 ring dynasty if we didn't have that blow hard dragging us down.
* timmy is so freakin overrated. his actaull effectiveness on the court is +/- 0. it;s out secret shame. pluss his legs are like brittle glass from knee down.. one wrong step and it's alllll over baby.
*manu is a fucking flopper floppity flop flop. the king of flopdom.
*bowen is the nastiest dirtiest player on the planet. he could only be worse if he was out there swinging a bat Tonya Harding style. Plus - he's not a scorer so WTF do we have him? useless thug.

any suggestions?

Yeah me too - I find one The Hornets - because of Maciej Lampe :)

Slo spurs fan
10-21-2005, 02:35 AM
Yeah me too - I find one The Hornets - because of Maciej Lampe :)

Yeah, me too - becouse of Boštjan Nachbar :)

Kori Ellis
10-21-2005, 02:37 AM
INJURY is a 5 letter word...

CHAMP is also a 5 letter word..

Get the plan? now good..

But INJURY has six letters. :)

Obstructed_View
10-21-2005, 08:18 AM
But INJURY has six letters. :)
That's what I was thinking. That's too good. Adding to my sig.

Spurzn703
10-21-2005, 09:09 AM
Probably b/c Tim Duncan plays 19 mins a game, as does Manu. And starters get the night off every other game. Geeez :blah

Extra Stout
10-21-2005, 11:42 AM
Y'all can whistle past the graveyard as much as you want, but I'm stockpiling canned goods in my bomb shelter and converting all of my assets to gold.

I'll see you all in 30 years with my son Brendan Fraser.

Horry For 3!
10-21-2005, 12:53 PM
1-5

Pistons < Spurs
10-22-2005, 10:04 PM
1-6?

C'mon Spurs!