PDA

View Full Version : Why is Mills starting over Green?

DAF86
02-28-2018, 11:48 PM
Can somebody explain that shit to me?

Ice009
02-28-2018, 11:49 PM
Yeah, it appears that was a mistake. I did say to roll with it for a few games, but that needs to probably end right away.

Cleveland must just be that bad outside of Lebron.

MaNu4Tres
02-28-2018, 11:52 PM
Mills is leading the team in minutes the past 3 games getting 35 mpg.

What in the fuck?

vy65
02-28-2018, 11:56 PM
Showcasing for a trade ... oh, wait ...

NASpurs
02-28-2018, 11:57 PM
Because Green had food poisoning that one time.

palangi
02-28-2018, 11:59 PM
Because we have the shire. Our hobbits need playing time

Chinook
03-01-2018, 12:02 AM
In theory, it evens out the rotation.

Chinook
03-01-2018, 12:03 AM

Shit, how bad is it when even you prefer Danny starting? :lol

Play Boban
03-01-2018, 12:03 AM
Because poop has an iq of 10.

palangi
03-01-2018, 12:04 AM
Shit, how bad is it when even you prefer Danny starting? :lol

Right

UZER
03-01-2018, 12:21 AM

Are you serious? Is that a real question? *condescending stare*

:pop:

MaNu4Tres
03-01-2018, 01:04 AM
Spurs defensive rating with and w/ out Patty on the court.

On (1,510mins) - 106.4pp/100 (16th in NBA)

Off (1,466mins) - 98.0pp/100 (1st in NBA)

Best defense in the league: 101.1pp/100.

Makes no sense to play Patty 35+mpg unless the intention is to lose.

Spurtacular
03-01-2018, 01:06 AM

:lol

Spurtacular
03-01-2018, 01:07 AM
KGB Pop wanting to exact revenge on the Warriors in a 1 v 8 match-up?

SAGirl
03-01-2018, 01:11 AM
Spurs defensive rating with and w/ out Patty on the court.

On (1,510mins) - 106.4pp/100 (16th in NBA)

Off (1,466mins) - 98.0pp/100 (1st in NBA)

Best defense in the league: 101.1pp/100.

Makes no sense to play Patty 35+mpg unless the intention is to lose.
Spurs must be tanking then.

Pop devaluing Danny’s asking price this summer? Something Machiavellian...

Reality is perhaps Chinook is right they are evening out their rotation but that still means their roster construction is askew and to even it out this is the best they can do.

SAGirl
03-01-2018, 03:11 AM

MaNu4Tres
03-01-2018, 07:48 AM

And Green doesnt?

MaNu4Tres
03-01-2018, 07:58 AM
And Green doesnt?

Even when Green started, he never played 35 mpg unless it was the playoffs. How Patty is getting all these minutes is baffling to say the least.

SAGirl
03-01-2018, 08:09 AM
And Green doesnt?
Gross Pop answer. You know what the real answer is.

SAGirl
03-01-2018, 08:10 AM
Even when Green started, he never played 35 mpg unless it was the playoffs. How Patty is getting all these minutes is baffling to say the least.
You have made me wonder about that for sure. It’s inexplicable.

SPURt
03-01-2018, 08:24 AM
I blame Kawhi’s shriveled leg.

Strategic
03-01-2018, 08:48 AM
Because he’s an alpha dog! Oops, excuse the hate.

daledondale
03-01-2018, 08:53 AM
:rolleyes

K...
03-01-2018, 09:00 AM
Next year white needs minutes and green will be gone. Unless they trade or get a free agent expect the micro guard trend to continue

MaNu4Tres
03-01-2018, 09:08 AM
Next year white needs minutes and green will be gone. Unless they trade or get a free agent expect the micro guard trend to continue

Letting Green go but keeping Mills would be a move that is allergic to winning.

dabom
03-01-2018, 10:41 AM
The faggot police. :lol

The team is playing better. Pau and LMA were out yesterday and Kawhi wasn't playing. And Pop decided to go to dinner early. The team played great given the circumstances. Yes we still choked at the end but we lose by 20 without MVPatty. :lol

And don't respond to me faggots if ya got shitty takes. :lmao

Cklbmk
03-01-2018, 10:43 AM
Because Dejounte and Mills work defensively and Mills is more consistent spacing than Green

UZER
03-01-2018, 10:48 AM

Bonner :lol

SAGirl
03-01-2018, 10:58 AM
This is what I am afraid of... not of White getting minutes, but that the guard which the FO deems expendable is Danny and not Mills (or Tony, but I expect Tony's deal to be conmensurate with the role he has and projects to have, he isn't closing games anymore, and is playing short bench minutes). Danny meantime is looking to get paid, and looking at 50 Mills who wouldn't?

SpursDynasty85
03-01-2018, 11:59 AM
Honestly, I think this is a 3-part strategy. Dejounte is severely limited in running pg for the Spurs this year. He is not ready so putting Patty next to him makes sense because it still spaces the floor but also gives them a veteran pg on the floor. Dejounte is running on pure raw skill and talent, still doesn't run the point well. 2nd, Patty's trade value is low because of his contract right now. They want his numbers and value to go up incase they do need to trade him for.cap space. 3rd this one is a Longshot but it does lower Danny Greens value a little if he doesn't play much the rest of the year. The Spurs would definitely want Green back at a decent price. My 2 cents.

BillMc
03-01-2018, 12:00 PM
:lol

Cklbmk
03-01-2018, 12:17 PM
Honestly, I think this is a 3-part strategy. Dejounte is severely limited in running pg for the Spurs this year. He is not ready so putting Patty next to him makes sense because it still spaces the floor but also gives them a veteran pg on the floor. Dejounte is running on pure raw skill and talent, still doesn't run the point well. 2nd, Patty's trade value is low because of his contract right now. They want his numbers and value to go up incase they do need to trade him for.cap space. 3rd this one is a Longshot but it does lower Danny Greens value a little if he doesn't play much the rest of the year. The Spurs would definitely want Green back at a decent price. My 2 cents.

Mills is only a PG in height.

pad300
03-01-2018, 12:25 PM

Agree with all of this for the strategic reasoning. There is a 4th point - it's a stealth tank. Until Kawhi gets back, we are going nowhere in the playoffs, so we may as well improve our draft position as much as possible. If Kawhi comes back fully, we have a shot against anyone (maybe), but there is is no way we can get HC against the Warriors or the Rockets. Against everyone else, we don't need HC (again, if Kawhi's back)...

SAGirl
03-01-2018, 12:35 PM
IT'S THE STEALTH TANK :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMO674EDUHE

Raven
03-01-2018, 12:36 PM
because we want to allow more points.

HarlemHeat37
03-01-2018, 01:42 PM
I don't have a problem with it, it's better balance for the rotation and the team needs to try new things to solve their struggles..the problem is playing Mills 35MPG as of late, that's just outrageous..his ideal role is a spark off the bench at 20MPGish, now he's getting the minutes of a building block piece:lol

I disagree that it has anything to do with lowering Green's value or increase Mills'..Patty playing big minutes only hurts his value, which is always the case when a player is asked to play a role above his actual talent level(Mills at his absolute peak wasn't even a 30MPG caliber player)..

As for Green, I think it's very likely that he's gone next year IMO..new agent + comments we've heard from him and Manu(the only Spurs who actually say anything other than TP) have given the impression that the locker room and "culture" is no longer what it used to be in terms of fun and chemistry(which was a big reason he took a discount and remained a Spur, despite being treated poorly by Pop for years)..

Brunodf
03-01-2018, 02:20 PM
He has more culture, it wouldn't be fair to start the other guys

SAGirl
03-01-2018, 02:44 PM
I don't have a problem with it, it's better balance for the rotation and the team needs to try new things to solve their struggles..the problem is playing Mills 35MPG as of late, that's just outrageous..his ideal role is a spark off the bench at 20MPGish, now he's getting the minutes of a building block piece:lol

I disagree that it has anything to do with lowering Green's value or increase Mills'..Patty playing big minutes only hurts his value, which is always the case when a player is asked to play a role above his actual talent level(Mills at his absolute peak wasn't even a 30MPG caliber player)..

As for Green, I think it's very likely that he's gone next year IMO..new agent + comments we've heard from him and Manu(the only Spurs who actually say anything other than TP) have given the impression that the locker room and "culture" is no longer what it used to be in terms of fun and chemistry(which was a big reason he took a discount and remained a Spur, despite being treated poorly by Pop for years)..
good take. Agree. if they aren't showcasing him to raise his value.. that must mean he's a building block piece... :greedy
Team just isn't in a good spot right now. I have the same impression with Danny. I still hope to be wrong, but I am expecting it. After a summer and season where his name was the only one on trading rumors (other than LMA, who wanted to be out) dude is going to look to get paid.

It makes you think about all the guys who have actively wanted to move on recently...:grim:

MaNu4Tres
03-01-2018, 03:02 PM

I disagree w/ the notion that his minute increase doesn't increase his value. IMO - It does increase his value as long as he's not being asked to to do much play-making. His PPG, since the move, has risen to over 13 ppg and the enhanced perception of his importance to the Spurs by getting these minutes will help the Spurs in negotiations to justify not giving up picks to get rid of his contract. Starting for the Spurs, getting a 35 mpg role and avg. 13 points on 37% from 3 all looks good on paper. Sixers should be a possible destination if they whiff on LeBron & don't re-sign Redick/McConnell.

Here's to the Patty mini tank. :bobo

Brazil
03-01-2018, 03:12 PM
Because.... reasons

MoSpur02
03-01-2018, 03:15 PM
Because of Green had "food poisoning" (came in hungover) and this is Pop's stupid way of sending a message.

MaNu4Tres
03-01-2018, 03:18 PM
Because of Green had "food poisoning" (came in hungover) and this is Pop's stupid way of sending a message.

Makes sense too. Thanks Mo.

MoSpur02
03-01-2018, 03:33 PM
Makes sense too. Thanks Mo.

That's just my opinion BTW. I think it makes more sense than what Pop said.

spurraider21
03-01-2018, 03:35 PM

pop is the only reason he's in the NBA tbh

Chinook
03-01-2018, 03:45 PM
pop is the only reason he's in the NBA tbh

Wouldn't be so sure of that. Dude was wrecking the d-league with Jeremy Lin before Pop took him back. He would have gotten called up eventually.

SpursforSix
03-01-2018, 05:47 PM
You don't spend $50,000,000 on something to keep in the garage.

SpursDynasty85
03-01-2018, 06:16 PM
Green is also someone who should be very thankful for the Spurs. He was dleague status too before he played for us. Ultimately, it makes sense to play Mills with Dejounte. Have Parker play backup. Glad Forbes is not playing anymore. He's good but no room for him on our squad, especially with Manu still balling.

Chinook
03-01-2018, 06:36 PM
Green is also someone who should be very thankful for the Spurs. He was dleague status too before he played for us. Ultimately, it makes sense to play Mills with Dejounte. Have Parker play backup. Glad Forbes is not playing anymore. He's good but no room for him on our squad, especially with Manu still balling.

Green showed his gratitude by leaving tens of millions on the table. He doesn't need to keep sucking Pop's dick just because they signed him back in the day. Danny would have made another team eventually, just as guys like James Johnson, Jeremy Lin and JaMychal Green did.

sasaint
03-01-2018, 07:07 PM
It makes you think about all the guys who have actively wanted to move on recently...:grim:

SpursDynasty85
03-01-2018, 08:41 PM
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nba/news/spurs-danny-green-on-discounted-contract-i-took-what-i-was-worth/amp/

I thought his contract was fair on both sides. I remember that free agency very well. He took offers and said if the money is close he would stay. I'm sure maybe he got a 11.5 to 12 M / yr offers but decided to stay in a state tax free place and with the team that built his marketability for him in the first place. Patty left a good amount on the table with his current contract I think too. $50M / yr was way too high though. I'm optimistic about having a fun playoffs this year and back into real contention next year. Go Spurs Go!

objective
03-01-2018, 09:09 PM
I don't think Mills should even play over White.

Mills is Bonner, Parker is Mcdyess, and White is Splitter.

Ice009
03-01-2018, 09:14 PM

What kind of stuff have Green and Manu said about the locker room? So Patty Mills hasn't brought enough culture for 50M?

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-01-2018, 10:01 PM
I don't care if Mills starts, but Green should be finishing.

Snaq O'Meal
03-02-2018, 04:55 PM

Someone should tell Poop to stop hoarding hobbits. He’s supposed to acquire rings, not destroy one at Mt Doom.