PDA

View Full Version : Spurs are just two games from missing the playoffs

Amuseddaysleeper
03-01-2018, 12:26 AM
The least clutch team in the league and the worst fourth quarter team in the league I don’t even think Kawhi can save them.

First round exit

davidbowie
03-01-2018, 12:42 AM
i cant tell if we're tanking or not

sasaint
03-01-2018, 12:52 AM

I have been of a mind that it was too late. But I hope that's the belated plan.

sananspursfan21
03-01-2018, 01:24 AM
They really haven’t been clutch in large sample sizes for some time :depressed

Play Boban
03-01-2018, 01:25 AM
Fake news.

cjw
03-01-2018, 01:37 AM
You’re melting down after a team was down its two main bigs against the big (Davis) who has been tearing the league up over the past few weeks, and playing friggen Gay and Bertans at the 5? What on earth are they supposed to do. The fact that they’re treading water is a miracle.

SAGirl
03-01-2018, 01:56 AM
It doesn’t matter if Lamarcus ankle is kaput for a week or two. They just can’t afford to lose him and have lost all 3 games lately that he’s been out injured. They might go on a losing streak for real.

Arcadian
03-01-2018, 03:31 AM

No. This is actually the best they can do.

Mr. Body
03-01-2018, 03:37 AM
Meh. Pack it in. Play for next year. They didn't have a prayer in the playoffs anyway and the 50-wins streak is over, so might as well try to get a decent draft pick.

SAGirl
03-01-2018, 03:55 AM
Can’t go feeling sorry for themselves. I didn’t think I’d care but I actually do. It would suck to me if they don’t make the playoffs and I think the young guys specially will be disappointed.

lmbebo
03-01-2018, 09:17 AM
Honestly, we may miss the playoffs or we may end up in the lower seed having to play Houston or GS in the 1st round. We have a brutal schedule coming up. We play the lakers and memphis and then after that its hard to see how we win many games. At this point, not sure we win against the lakers if LMA is out ...

mexicanjunior
03-01-2018, 09:19 AM
What on earth are they supposed to do.

Build a better roster? Improve the team at the trade deadline when it was obvious it needed help? Pick up a decent buy out option? PATFO bought the groceries, now we all have to eat this shit cake.

The more losses the better, we need the lotto balls to improve since Patty and Pau eat up half of our salary cap...

r0drig0lac
03-01-2018, 09:26 AM
Build a better roster? Improve the team at the trade deadline when it was obvious it needed help? Pick up a decent buy out option? PATFO bought the groceries, now we all have to eat this shit cake.

The more losses the better, we need the lotto balls to improve since Patty and Pau eat up half of our salary cap...

MultiTroll
03-01-2018, 09:29 AM
Can’t go feeling sorry for themselves. I didn’t think I’d care but I actually do. It would suck to me if they don’t make the playoffs and I think the young guys specially will be disappointed.
All due respect to Manu, why doesn't he break some tape and STFU while reviewing his own turnover machine game changing behavior.

Shits been going on for years.

cjw
03-01-2018, 09:36 AM

I specifically meant what were they supposed to do last night.

But agree on your comment on what were they supposed to do the past several months.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-01-2018, 09:41 AM

I know the team has been hit hard with injuries this year but the mental fortitude just isn’t there. They’ve had an extremely easy schedule to be the third seed but now they’re free falling. I’m not even sure Kawhi should come back and risk anything at this point, spurs should start looking towards the summer and doing a hard reset on the team.

TheGreatYacht
03-01-2018, 09:47 AM
This is the kind of vet leadership this Mexican brings? :lol

I always knew he was too heartless to be an alpha or beta, but Jesus get a fucking grip it's the Pelicans :lmao

Put this dying dog out of its misery before Alpha Trump does.

rjv
03-01-2018, 11:18 AM
the key will be after the 3 game road trip (assuming the spurs can beat LA and Memphis before). after they return from what will likely be three losses the spurs may find themselves in 9th. they will have to win all the home games when they get back to get back into the swing. if they can get some momentum then they will be at least be right there in the mix. if they lose a couple in that stretch they will likely be lottery bound.

TheDoctor
03-01-2018, 11:28 AM
Spurs tanking for the last 2 Playoffs spots tbh. Best draft picks while making the Playoffs. I’ll take it as long as Kawhi is playing in the 1st round. Let’s bounce those motherfuckers.

coachmac87
03-01-2018, 12:42 PM
OP mentally has already punted the season or jumped off the clff...

Why watch or pay attention to something if you already know the end? You obviously don’t enjoy the process of what you’re watching... so why do it?

This not only goes for you but every other pessimist/miserable fuck

TimDunkem
03-01-2018, 12:46 PM

Kawhi or no Kawhi, this is just not a championship caliber team. These guys can't even keep their head in the game against NOLA.

boutons_deux
03-01-2018, 12:46 PM
"the young guys specially will be disappointed."

and attracting new talent will be more difficult if Spurs seen, as LAL is now, well past its golden age.

sasaint
03-01-2018, 12:58 PM
I know the team has been hit hard with injuries this year but the mental fortitude just isn’t there. They’ve had an extremely easy schedule to be the third seed but now they’re free falling. I’m not even sure Kawhi should come back and risk anything at this point, spurs should start looking towards the summer and doing a hard reset on the team.

A hard reset would have to start with the President/HC. Pop would never go for a hard reset.

sasaint
03-01-2018, 12:59 PM
Kawhi or no Kawhi, this is just not a championship caliber team. These guys can't even keep their head in the game against NOLA.

Championship? You mean "playoff" - right?

SAGirl
03-01-2018, 01:06 PM
I know the team has been hit hard with injuries this year but the mental fortitude just isn’t there.
Some guys on this team are really young... 4 guys who have logged heavy minutes all season, 2 starting, were not rotation players last year. Team is starting a 21 year old and his progress is the one shining light on this season for me. I only really care about the youth at this point, and perhaps Rudy getting his swagger back since I think he's probably going to pick up his option. I even wish Derrick White was playing at this point.

I want them to make the playoffs so that these guys get the experience and develop chemistry together through thick and thin the thing that forms strong bonds, maybe someone even makes a leap... Dijon gave flashes of his fearlessness and toughness in the playoffs last year after he didn't play for most of the season... you just never know who is going to rise (or shrink from the moment). They playoffs reveal a lot and steel young teams. If you realize that the team has gotten younger you will understand that they need to go through their own trials, which is why I don't much care for Manu and Paddy closing games... specially if the result is still a loss.

weebo
03-01-2018, 01:06 PM
OP mentally has already punted the season or jumped off the clff...

Why watch or pay attention to something if you already know the end? You obviously don’t enjoy the process of what you’re watching... so why do it?

This not only goes for you but every other pessimist/miserable fuck

Totally agree. Why spend 3 hours of your day watching something that only makes you miserable?? --And the rest of the time you sit on your fat assess complaining about players, coaches, etc.--As if any of you could do any better :lol--Hell, most of you can't even dribble a basketball to save your life..:lol

Chillen
03-01-2018, 01:08 PM
This must be a nightmare for Manu he spends his whole career as a Spur, winning seasons, championships and what might be his last season the team could potentially miss the playoffs due to injurys and not playing well. The man has every right to be frustrated.

Keepin' it real
03-01-2018, 01:12 PM
This must be a nightmare for Manu he spends his whole career as a Spur, winning seasons, championships and what might be his last season the team could potentially miss the playoffs due to injurys and not playing well. The man has every right to be frustrated.

As long as he can continue to cash the checks, he won't be too frustrated.

TimDunkem
03-01-2018, 01:21 PM
Championship? You mean "playoff" - right?

:lol Either way, our culture club will be hitting the beaches of Spain early this year.

Budkin
03-01-2018, 01:31 PM
Does it even matter? We’ll be swept in the first round even if we make the playoffs.

sasaint
03-01-2018, 01:31 PM
Some guys on this team are really young... 4 guys who have logged heavy minutes all season, 2 starting, were not rotation players last year. Team is starting a 21 year old and his progress is the one shining light on this season for me. I only really care about the youth at this point, and perhaps Rudy getting his swagger back since I think he's probably going to pick up his option. I even wish Derrick White was playing at this point.

I want them to make the playoffs so that these guys get the experience and develop chemistry together through thick and thin the thing that forms strong bonds, maybe someone even makes a leap... Dijon gave flashes of his fearlessness and toughness in the playoffs last year after he didn't play for most of the season... you just never know who is going to rise (or shrink from the moment). They playoffs reveal a lot and steel young teams. If you realize that the team has gotten younger you will understand that they need to go through their own trials, which is why I don't much care for Manu and Paddy closing games... specially if the result is still a loss.

I think you are making a faulty assumption that most of these young guys will be back.

Most games Patty and Manu closing are great for the Stealth Tank.

SAGirl
03-01-2018, 01:32 PM
He has always said that the team takes care of him really well, he's having fun, playing with his friends, he loves Paddy, and he still loves the game and is having fun. He can't carry the team if the team's stars are injured and shame on Pop for expecting the 40 year old to do that... the bar of soap as Pop called him.

sasaint
03-01-2018, 01:33 PM
:lol Either way, our culture club will be hitting the beaches of Spain early this year.

Should choose different beaches. The Spanish Mediterranean is cold.

SAGirl
03-01-2018, 01:33 PM
I think you are making a faulty assumption that most of these young guys will be back.

Most games Patty and Manu closing are great for the Stealth Tank.
It's sad but I do think you are right. Not sure all of Kyle, Davis or Bryn will be back for different reasons each. Not sure Danny will be back bc he wants to get paid.

It sucks to watch a stealth tank, and to think that Paddy is almost assuredly the only one who is going to be back for sure.

sasaint
03-01-2018, 01:35 PM
It's sad but I do think you are right. Not sure all of Kyle, Davis or Bryn will be back for different reasons each. Not sure Danny will be back bc he wants to get paid.

It sucks to watch a stealth tank, and to think that Paddy is almost assuredly the only one who is going to be back for sure.

Stealth Tanks move very slowly.

SAGirl
03-01-2018, 01:47 PM
Stealth Tanks move very slowly.
What will suck though is if/when those young guys move on to other teams, while Manu doesn't retire, Tony gets reupped at what can be considered generous given his current level of production and likelihood of injuries etc. and still having Paddy and Pau etc. Just got to look forward to Dijon getting better, White getting minutes next year, perhaps getting a draft pick... team isn't really going to change all that much, but Dijon and a good draft pick together with Kiwi and LMA perhaps can make this real interesting.. I'd hate to lose Danny specially if the team keeps Paddy instead...

HarlemHeat37
03-01-2018, 01:48 PM
Every non-Spurs fan has always told me that Pop can win with any group of players you give him, regardless of talent:lol

sasaint
03-01-2018, 01:56 PM
What will suck though is if/when those young guys move on to other teams, while Manu doesn't retire, Tony gets reupped at what can be considered generous given his current level of production and likelihood of injuries etc. and still having Paddy and Pau etc. Just got to look forward to Dijon getting better, White getting minutes next year, perhaps getting a draft pick... team isn't really going to change all that much, but Dijon and a good draft pick together with Kiwi and LMA perhaps can make this real interesting.. I'd hate to lose Danny specially if the team keeps Paddy instead...

if they are true to PATFO's M-O and do the first 4 things you suggest viz-a-viz Manu, Tony, Patty and Pau it will be a better season than The Lost Season, but we wouldn't really reclaim first-tier status again.

spurs10
03-01-2018, 01:58 PM
The last 15 games have a lot riding on them. I think we will rally and go 12-3. Our next 5 is not going to be so easy and the next two home games need to be wins. LMA and Kawhi returning obviously will be a huge shot in the arm. The last 10 games we are 3-7. So we are doing much worse than any of the other 8.

spurs10
03-01-2018, 02:02 PM
What will suck though is if/when those young guys move on to other teams, while Manu doesn't retire, Tony gets reupped at what can be considered generous given his current level of production and likelihood of injuries etc. and still having Paddy and Pau etc. Just got to look forward to Dijon getting better, White getting minutes next year, perhaps getting a draft pick... team isn't really going to change all that much, but Dijon and a good draft pick together with Kiwi and LMA perhaps can make this real interesting.. I'd hate to lose Danny specially if the team keeps Paddy instead... Keeping Rudy will be important. LMA, Kawhi, and Rudy will be formidable and what I’ve been waiting for all season.

BackHome
03-02-2018, 05:37 PM
It all depends on Kawhi if he can come back healthy and his injury is not chronic. Also depends if he wants to stay a Spur?

Hopefully Kawhi comes back healthy and hopefully we’re able to bring in our foreign Center forgot his name. And get a decent draft pick I would be happy.

Joffrey, Paul, and Forbes can and should be replaced with better players. For the love of God do not break the bank on Tony and Green.

K...
03-02-2018, 06:03 PM
Joffrey, Paul, and Forbes can and should be replaced with better players. For the love of God do not break the bank on Tony and Green.

Given the $$$ tied up with other players it's probably more effective to hope lame players improve than a new set of lame players from g league. I mean we'll see, but sadly Forbes and Paul are playing themselves into cheap contracts to re-up. I believe joff is under contract

Keepin' it real
03-02-2018, 07:48 PM
Spurs are just two games from missing the playoffs

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BmZnVUACAAA6O-y.png

xtremesteven33
03-02-2018, 08:02 PM
How does the draft look this year? Might not be such a bad situation to get a lottery pick. We've always had great luck if it comes to that.

james evans
03-02-2018, 11:19 PM
maybe this is a wake up call to stop signing these washed up players to multiple year contracts

K...
03-02-2018, 11:33 PM
maybe this is a wake up call to stop signing these washed up players to multiple year contracts

But mills and gasol have been pretty healthy. They just are what they are.

Horse
03-03-2018, 06:44 AM
You fuckers are depressing. Get a life. Not sure what more you want from a team with these kind of injuries. And for those talking shit about Manu eat a dick!

BillMc
03-03-2018, 06:49 AM
Another way to look at it is Spurs are presently on pace to be in the playoffs and have a leg up on securing that playoff spot despite their best player missing practically the whole season and numerous other injuries to key players.

tbdog
03-03-2018, 07:01 AM
Keeping Rudy will be important. LMA, Kawhi, and Rudy will be formidable and what I’ve been waiting for all season.

I think Ruby opts in. He just hasn't stayed healthy. He would need to have a good playoff run.

Chomag
03-03-2018, 03:15 PM
So Pop resting players does what exactly? Please don't say to prevent injuries...

alpha_HaZE
03-03-2018, 03:19 PM
So Pop resting players does what exactly? Please don't say to prevent injuries...

Pop was probably the first coach to realize the importance of resting players. Now the rest of the league is doing it. Timmy played till his forties, so does Manu. Apparently some fans, like yourself, still don't get it.

Chillen
03-03-2018, 03:28 PM
Well yes it's looking like Spurs could miss playoffs if the losses keep piling up. This isn't your typical Spurs season, they have had injurys and had a piss poor offseason. Duncan is retired, Manu and Parker are seasoned NBA vets. As great of a head coach as Pop is Spurs could very well wind up paying the price for success sadly it was going to catch up sooner or later. 20 years and no top 10 1st round draft picks. They have 2 all-stars LMA and Kawhi and Kawhi has pretty much sat the whole season. If they miss the playoffs it shouldn't be a shock, this team has done very well for the pieces they have just can't stay healthy this season.

Nathan89
03-03-2018, 03:38 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BmZnVUACAAA6O-y.png:lol

Nathan89
03-03-2018, 03:40 PM
As long as we make it and don't have to play GSW in the first round.

Chillen
03-03-2018, 04:08 PM
As long as we make it and don't have to play GSW in the first round.

The Spurs would prefer to play Warriors in 1st round of playoffs. That's your best chance for an upset right there. Bring it on!

Nathan89
03-03-2018, 04:28 PM
The Spurs would prefer to play Warriors in 1st round of playoffs. That's your best chance for an upset right there. Bring it on!

Not this year with Kawhi being out for so long. We need to extend the runway.

SuperCam
03-03-2018, 04:39 PM
Pop was probably the first coach to realize the importance of resting players. Now the rest of the league is doing it. Timmy played till his forties, so does Manu. Apparently some fans, like yourself, still don't get it.

Wilt played 48.5 minutes a game reg season and playoffs. this rest schtick isn't necessary even if pussy millennial players think it's normal

daslicer
03-03-2018, 05:13 PM

What I would give for the Spurs to have this type of ending against the Warriors in Oracle.
Ex-U50tT4aI

NASpurs
03-03-2018, 05:52 PM
I saw this post on reddit and thought the info was pretty good.

We're fucked :lol

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/81tjcz/the_spurs_have_a_pretty_disgusting_final_20_games/

In my opinion, they have a ridiculously hard remaining schedule. 15 of their final 20 games (https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/SAS/2018_games.html) have a record above .500. The 5 games against teams below .500 are:

2 against the Lakers, who've won 4 straight
1 game against the Kings, Grizzlies and Magic, which are probably all quite winnable, however

They have some ridiculously tough games left in the season (as I'm sure many other West teams do, but the Spurs are just who I chose to look at), like:

2 games against the Warriors (1 home, 1 away, 0-2 on the season)
2 games against the Rockets (1 home, 1 away, 0-2 on the season)
2 games against the Thunder (1 home, 1 away, 1-1 on the season)
2 games against the Pelicans (1 home, 1 away, 0-2 on the season)
1 game against each of the Timberwolves, Jazz & Trailblazers, which they have a combined 2-5 record against

They're currently 2.5 games ahead of the 9th seed Clippers. I thought it was worth posting because I haven't seen many people on this subreddit talk about how difficult their remaining schedule is.

LkrFan
03-03-2018, 06:02 PM
Every non-Spurs fan has always told me that Pop can win with any group of players you give him, regardless of talent:lol

:lmao

Keepin' it real
03-03-2018, 11:29 PM
I'll be honest. If these brutal regular season losses mean the Spurs miss the playoffs and avoid an ass raping by GSW, I'll be ok with that.

SuperCam
03-03-2018, 11:29 PM
:cry 7th seed ya faggots :cry

tim_duncan_fan
03-03-2018, 11:43 PM
We haven't got a prayer at a deep playoff run.

The practical thing to do is take the lotto pick.

View this season through the lens of having learned a lot about Dejounte, Davis, and LaMarcus, draft someone long and athletic, get Kawhi mentally healthy, and come back next year.

spursistan
03-03-2018, 11:45 PM
Perhaps the biggest basketball myth since 2014 that's getting destroyed pretty savagely this season..

sasaint
03-03-2018, 11:46 PM
I'll be honest. If these brutal regular season losses mean the Spurs miss the playoffs and avoid an ass raping by GSW, I'll be ok with that.

More importantly, they will get ping pong balls, where anything can happen.

daslicer
03-03-2018, 11:46 PM
Perhaps the biggest basketball myth since 2014 that's getting destroyed pretty savagely this season..

You will be surprised by how many idiots on other forums such as realgm believe Duncan only won championships because Pop was his coach.

Hoops Czar
03-03-2018, 11:48 PM
You called him one of the greatest of all time. :lol

He definitely is the GOAT, but all great basketball coaches are overrated, tbh..NBA coaches have limited positive impact on a game compared to other leagues like the NFL(not even close, tbh)..

sasaint
03-03-2018, 11:48 PM

View this season through the lens of having learned a lot about Dejounte, Davis, and LaMarcus, draft someone long and athletic, get Kawhi mentally healthy, and come back next year.

Yes, but it is also the first year of Pau and Patty's new deals.

NASpurs
03-03-2018, 11:49 PM
More importantly, they will get ping pong balls, where anything can happen.

And Pop would send this player to the G-League because it's only fair to the old farts on the team. Can't wait for another 6'4" player on the Austin Spurs.

Darius Bieber
03-03-2018, 11:51 PM
And Pop would send this player to the G-League because it's only fair to the old farts on the team. Can't wait for another 6'4" player on the Austin Spurs.

Yeah. Even with a lottery pick, I don't have faith in the Spurs or the Front Office with selecting good talent. Just have to look at our roster right now to realize how shit our team construction is.

sasaint
03-03-2018, 11:52 PM
I keep hoping we will bring in somebody to clean up The mess that PATFO has made.

Mikeanaro
03-04-2018, 12:04 AM
Lets make it happen, Gasoil and PATFUCK are doing their best!

03-04-2018, 12:08 AM
Turn on the fucking tank if it isn't on already.

apalisoc_9
03-04-2018, 12:10 AM
Pop is the arsene wenger of basketball. Tgy called it.

tim_duncan_fan
03-04-2018, 12:11 AM
Guys, this is how it is done.

We only got Duncan because D-Rob sat out a year.

We need to be lottery this year. It's how the world works.

Who should we draft if we got, say, pick #12?

Keepin' it real
03-04-2018, 12:18 AM
Guys, this is how it is done.

We only got Duncan because D-Rob sat out a year.

We need to be lottery this year. It's how the world works.

Who should we draft if we got, say, pick #12?

Kawhi's replacement.

spursistan
03-04-2018, 12:18 AM
Last 3 weeks: 0-6 vs Nuggets, Jazz, Pelicans, Lakers...Think this stretch will eventually do them in..

if they go 0-3 in the next road trip, they should seriously consider packing it in..

Budkin
03-04-2018, 12:20 AM

Completely. All we are right now is a free playoff series win for Houston or Golden State.

weeks
03-04-2018, 12:21 AM
Last 3 weeks: 0-6 vs Nuggets, Jazz, Pelicans, Lakers...Think this stretch will eventually do them in..

if they go 0-3 in the next road trip, they should seriously consider packing it in..

got some bad news for you

alpha_HaZE
03-04-2018, 12:54 AM
Wilt played 48.5 minutes a game reg season and playoffs. this rest schtick isn't necessary even if pussy millennial players think it's normal

I love Wilt and is one of the greatest players of his generation, if not the greatest, but in today's NBA, those pussy millennial players will annihilate him if he is playing 48.5 minutes a game.

r0drig0lac
03-04-2018, 10:41 AM

and bring blossomgame (which would probably be our third best wing until the end of the season) and derrick white for the team

r0drig0lac
03-04-2018, 10:49 AM
I love Wilt and is one of the greatest players of his generation, if not the greatest, but in today's NBA, those pussy millennial players will annihilate him if he is playing 48.5 minutes a game.
Wilt even if teleported to the current game would be the biggest and most athletic guy on the floor, it literally would clear the current competition and would not be funny