PDA

View Full Version : Getting a Shot off in 2004

c whata11
03-01-2018, 10:35 PM
Random thought in regards to Derek Fisher's .4 shot:

I may be making this memory up, but I remember reading a thread on Spurstalk years ago about this topic. The comment mentioned that during a game sometime in the '03-'04 season there was .5 seconds on the clock and the ball was inbounded to Bruce Bowen. He then got a shot off, but it was waived off and ruled as being essentially impossible. This was used in the thread I remember reading to prove the hypocrisy of counting Fisher's .4 shot as good.

Please tell me my life hasn't come to the point where I'm making up memories about reading Spurstalk. Might need a response from some OG BNSF.

:bobo

SpursDynasty85
03-01-2018, 10:51 PM
I remember briefly while watching a game. A tip can be accomplished with at least .2 seconds. A jump shot in .4. they may have other criteria where a dribble can be added. I don't remember the Bowen thing. But trust me when I say that Fisher shot was analyzed thoroughly and he got it off. It was an incredible shot. It's okay though. We still have 5 rings.

Russ
03-01-2018, 11:06 PM
Fisher, as I recall, caught the ball with his back to the basket then made a move to turn and face the basket and then shot.

I'll let the researchers chime in here -- in the 14 years since that shot happened has any other shot counted with .4 seconds or less? This would include each of the thousands (20,000 or more) of NBA games since then.

Play Boban
03-01-2018, 11:09 PM
Cut it out already. Who cares? That was three titles ago!

KDKSpurs24
03-02-2018, 12:59 AM
Fisher, as I recall, caught the ball with his back to the basket then made a move to turn and face the basket and then shot.

I'll let the researchers chime in here -- in the 14 years since that shot happened has any other shot counted with .4 seconds or less? This would include each of the thousands (20,000 or more) of NBA games since then.
Trevor booker shot a backwards shot with .2 seconds let on the shot clock but it was basically tapped up so idk if that’s what you’re looking for.

MaNu4Tres
03-02-2018, 02:25 AM

The Spurs clock guy started the clock .3 seconds late. The clock didn't start til he began shooting...After he caught and turned his body.

It was bullshit.

baseline bum
03-02-2018, 02:34 AM
Random thought in regards to Derek Fisher's .4 shot:

I may be making this memory up, but I remember reading a thread on Spurstalk years ago about this topic. The comment mentioned that during a game sometime in the '03-'04 season there was .5 seconds on the clock and the ball was inbounded to Bruce Bowen. He then got a shot off, but it was waived off and ruled as being essentially impossible. This was used in the thread I remember reading to prove the hypocrisy of counting Fisher's .4 shot as good.

Please tell me my life hasn't come to the point where I'm making up memories about reading Spurstalk. Might need a response from some OG BNSF.

:bobo

I think what you're remembering is a halfcourt shot by Stephen Jackson at the buzzer in a game in 02-03 that was waved off. I think that was inbounded with 0.3 seconds though.

Spurtacular
03-02-2018, 02:56 AM
I remember briefly while watching a game. A tip can be accomplished with at least .2 seconds. A jump shot in .4. they may have other criteria where a dribble can be added. I don't remember the Bowen thing. But trust me when I say that Fisher shot was analyzed thoroughly and he got it off. It was an incredible shot. It's okay though. We still have 5 rings.

.4 was legally the minimum to get a jump shot off. Yet Fisher had the time to catch, turn, fade, cock the ball back, shoot with beautiful follow-through. :lol

Arcadian
03-02-2018, 05:06 AM
The Spurs clock guy started the clock .3 seconds late. The clock didn't start til he began shooting...After he caught and turned his body.

It was bullshit.

Yep...clock started late

Ice009
03-02-2018, 09:49 AM
Clock started late.

Whoever the fuck started that clock late should be fired from his next 100 jobs. If it's a home timekeeper, that's bullshit that he'd start it so late. You're supposed to favour the home team, not screw them over ;).

Keepin' it real
03-02-2018, 09:53 AM
Cut it out already. Who cares? That was three titles ago!

Toda via duele.

DeadlyDynasty
03-02-2018, 10:12 AM
Good times

Keepin' it real
03-02-2018, 10:32 AM
Good times

Great show!

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/813c-+euo4L._RI_.jpg

Play Boban
03-02-2018, 11:43 AM
Toda via duele.

:cry

TDomination
03-02-2018, 11:55 AM
Meh I'm just glad Lakers didn't win it that year. Karl Malone was so close haha

But yeah shot shoudnt have counted regardless of what the clock showed. He did too much with the ball for it to possibly be done in .4 seconds. It should have been waved off immediately because it was common sense that with .4 left you cant do a turnaround jumpshot.

But it is what it is.

UZER
03-02-2018, 12:28 PM
1) The catch and shoot rule has always been .3. Anything less must be tip.

2) I promise you had that exact shot happened in reverse, meaning the Spurs hit the shot with .4, the refs would've immediately waived it off saying even though it was before the horn, they is no way to get THAT shot off in time.

3) To be 100% fair, the clock guy stopped it late after Timmy shot went through. It should've been stopped at .8.

Phenomanul
03-02-2018, 12:28 PM
Stern got what he wanted.

TDomination
03-02-2018, 12:39 PM
1) The catch and shoot rule has always been .3. Anything less must be tip.

2) I promise you had that exact shot happened in reverse, meaning the Spurs hit the shot with .4, the refs would've immediately waived it off saying even though it was before the horn, they is no way to get THAT shot off in time.

3) To be 100% fair, the clock guy stopped it late after Timmy shot went through. It should've been stopped at .8.

I wish #3 did happen because I wouldn't have the mindset that unless it's something close to the basket this game is over. I would feel like dang that's truly still enough time for Kobe or whoever to get a shot off. But with .4, psh, as soon as I saw ball not going to shaq I knew that it was over, or so I thought.

diego
03-02-2018, 12:46 PM

It was bullshit.

Yes, though to be fair they stopped it late after Duncans amazing shot prior to that. I'm more pissed at turkoglu laying bricks / refs not calling lakers hacking inside. The way the Lakers celebrated and ran off the court before the review was also annoying and you have to wonder if that conditioned the refs

UNT Eagles 2016
03-02-2018, 04:22 PM
Bowen had one of the slowest releases in the NBA, so there's that.

It was bullshit.
Not the Spurs clock guy. The NBA uses a neutral one for playoff games.

HarlemHeat37
03-08-2018, 01:05 AM
Anybody just see the ending to the Magic/Lakers game? Absolute robbery by LA's timekeepers:lol