PDA

View Full Version : Ebi unofficially is being shopped

sickdsm
10-19-2005, 07:17 PM
Still looking for that long three? Word is that Casey wants him out, thats why he's not getting any PT in the preseason games even though his option has to be decided upon at the end of this month.

I know that the Spurs were hoping he'd fall during the draft to them.

ducks
10-19-2005, 10:46 PM
spurs over luxcury tax now so he is a NO

Horry For 3!
10-19-2005, 10:53 PM
Who is Ebi?

SequSpur
10-19-2005, 11:04 PM
Ebi?

Obstructed_View
10-19-2005, 11:17 PM
And who is Casey?

Obstructed_View
10-19-2005, 11:23 PM
http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_14636.shtml

A quote from the article...
Ndudi Ebi—he’s not getting any time in the preseason. Will he be waived and the Wolves just bite the bullet on his contract?

SpursIndonesia
10-19-2005, 11:29 PM
Ndubi Ebi, a raw, long, super athlete that drafted by TWolves this summer ? He's 6.8 with 7+ wingspan, CMIIW.

wildbill2u
10-19-2005, 11:39 PM
Ndubi Ebi, a raw, long, super athlete that drafted by TWolves this summer ? He's 6.8 with 7+ wingspan, CMIIW.

Bet that dude looks weird with those dimensions. Arms must almost drag the ground.

Obstructed_View
10-19-2005, 11:41 PM
Bet that dude looks weird with those dimensions. Arms must almost drag the ground.
I think Tayshaun Prince is the same way. Oliver Miller was when he played. Well, I guess Miller still is. His arms probably didn't shrink when he retired.

Kori Ellis
10-19-2005, 11:44 PM
The Spurs were interested in Ebi before. I guess if he's waived they would take a look.

exstatic
10-19-2005, 11:46 PM
The Spurs were real high on this guy, pre-draft, allegedly.

exstatic
10-19-2005, 11:49 PM

Not this summer. He was drafted a couple of years ago.

Marcus Bryant
10-19-2005, 11:59 PM
sign n send to euro?

More like 'sign and send to Austin'...

exstatic
10-20-2005, 12:00 AM
WTF? Just looked at his stat sheet on the NBA web site. He only played two games last year, but averaged 13.5p/8r in 27 minutes per game. How can you only play him two games if he can put up those numbers?

exstatic
10-20-2005, 12:13 AM
:lol:rollin FG% for last year was .524 and FT% was .556

Sign him up. He's a perfect fit. :lol

Obstructed_View
10-20-2005, 12:23 AM
WTF? Just looked at his stat sheet on the NBA web site. He only played two games last year, but averaged 13.5p/8r in 27 minutes per game. How can you only play him two games if he can put up those numbers?
One of those was when he scored 18 points against the Spurs in the final game last year. The Wolves were already eliminated and the Spurs were staying healthy for Denver. Can you say extended garbage time?

exstatic
10-20-2005, 12:34 AM
It was an NBA regular season game, wasn't it?

He's 21, and they're ready to give up on him?

FreshPrince22
10-20-2005, 12:55 AM

Have you seen Jason Maxiell? He's 6-6 and has a 7-3 wingspan.
________
Colorado medical marijuana (http://colorado.dispensaries.org/)

Obstructed_View
10-20-2005, 01:42 AM
It was an NBA regular season game, wasn't it?

He's 21, and they're ready to give up on him?
It was about as close to an exhibition game as you can get, but you are welcome to start offering draft picks for him. Seriousy, the reason they need to get rid of him is because they can't put him on an NBDL team, so they have to give him a roster spot or cut him. I'm not sure what the complaint is about him otherwise, but I've never heard the Timberwolves' front office accused of being terribly smart.

timvp
10-20-2005, 02:45 AM
Spurs wanted him. He's said to be aloof and reportedly has a bad worth ethic. With the players that the Wolves have had over the years, this is a pretty bright red flag. I don't think players like Michael Olowokandi or Sam Cassell are exactly gym rats.

Besides, Holt doesn't sound like he wants to spend the money on a 14th or 15th man. :rolleyes

JMarkJohns
10-20-2005, 03:45 AM
Ebi was widely reguarded as the best prep player after LeBron James. He was reruited by every single big-time college program, choosing Arizona over Duke, Texas, Kansas and UNC.

I've seen him play a million times, mostly via video. He's a quality prospect, but is no where near a player the Spurs would play consistantly.

He needs to go to a team thaat's just awful, develop with no pressure and then cash in after a 2/3 year contract.

He needs a minimum of 25 minutes a game for a minimum of two years before he's rotation quality on a Championship calibur team.

I can't comment on his work ethic or practice habits, but he always wanted to guard the best player. He doesn't mind playing defense or hitting the boards. He's skinny, or at least undersized, but he's got Lamar Odom skills (minus maybe passing), but will play far better defense.

In time... something most teams cannot give him.

JMarkJohns
10-20-2005, 03:48 AM
Also, he's been in the League for two years already, so the NBADL is out of the question unless he's willing (fat chance)... He's a elite prospect who knows he can be great. I doubt he signs for the NBADL.

If I'm him, I go to Charlotte.

Oh, Gee!!
10-20-2005, 10:23 AM
Spurs roster is filled up. Sean Marks will have to be a reserve as it stands right now. So don't be looking for any more additions

ducks
10-20-2005, 10:26 AM
Word is that Casey wants him out

SenorSpur
10-20-2005, 10:53 AM
Ebi was widely reguarded as the best prep player after LeBron James. He was reruited by every single big-time college program, choosing Arizona over Duke, Texas, Kansas and UNC.

I've seen him play a million times, mostly via video. He's a quality prospect, but is no where near a player the Spurs would play consistantly.

He needs to go to a team thaat's just awful, develop with no pressure and then cash in after a 2/3 year contract.

He needs a minimum of 25 minutes a game for a minimum of two years before he's rotation quality on a Championship calibur team.

I can't comment on his work ethic or practice habits, but he always wanted to guard the best player. He doesn't mind playing defense or hitting the boards. He's skinny, or at least undersized, but he's got Lamar Odom skills (minus maybe passing), but will play far better defense.

In time... something most teams cannot give him.

Sounds like "our" kind of player

coopdogg3
10-20-2005, 11:18 AM
Could we possibly trade Barry for him? Would that make sense? And then give Ebi the minutes that Barry would have gotten. Don't think the salaries match though, but maybe RC could figure something out.

coopdogg3

IcemanCometh
10-20-2005, 11:25 AM
choosing Arizona over Duke, Texas, Kansas and UNC

that generally means you can't qualify academically

spurster
10-20-2005, 12:33 PM
I would guess the Spurs would wait until he was waived.

usckk
10-20-2005, 02:07 PM
that generally means you can't qualify academically
It doesn't matter how good your ar academically. As long as you can play ball, they will accept you. Arizona is a very good basketball school. I was pissed when Ebi didn't go, since i'm a zona fan. He pretty much screwed them up for 2 years. Because he committed to going, a lot of quality bigmen didn't go.

JMarkJohns
10-20-2005, 06:34 PM
Ebi was a 3+ GPA in high school. He had some great Prep All-Star games and found himself involved, similer to J.R. Smith. He wanted to go to college. He took to the last possible minute to decide, but he said he had several first-round promises.

My guess is the Wolves and the Spurs.

Ebi is very talented, but he is RAW. He won't contribute anything for your team now. In a few years time, he'll be a very good player.

Odom was a so-so comparison. Believe it or not, he's closer to a Marion or Kirilenko. Better shooting potential than Marion, but creater than Kirilenko, but not as athletic.

He'll make a great third-option on a team one day, but that's not today.

And to echo what ucskk said, Arizona is a top-5 NBA talent producing school. I wasn't sure what to make of the "wouldn't qualify" statement. Duke is obvious the most prestigious of the group, academically, but Arizona has pretty high standards for their players. Just ask Juwann McClellan, who missed a summer school course when his father died and has been ruled ineligable for the fall semester.

usckk
10-20-2005, 06:58 PM
Ebi was a 3+ GPA in high school. He had some great Prep All-Star games and found himself involved, similer to J.R. Smith. He wanted to go to college. He took to the last possible minute to decide, but he said he had several first-round promises.

My guess is the Wolves and the Spurs.

Ebi is very talented, but he is RAW. He won't contribute anything for your team now. In a few years time, he'll be a very good player.

Odom was a so-so comparison. Believe it or not, he's closer to a Marion or Kirilenko. Better shooting potential than Marion, but creater than Kirilenko, but not as athletic.

And to echo what ucskk said, Arizona is a top-5 NBA talent producing school. I wasn't sure what to make of the "wouldn't qualify" statement. Duke is obvious the most prestigious of the group, academically, but Arizona has pretty high standards for their players. Just ask Juwann McClellan, who missed a summer school course when his father died and has been ruled ineligable for the fall semester.

Yep. By the way, i'm so pissed that they didn't win it all last year. They were so close.

exstatic
10-20-2005, 07:02 PM

That's fine. We don't need him to be that now. He's 21. Sign and stash, a la Stephen Jackson.

JMarkJohns
10-20-2005, 07:45 PM
That's fine. We don't need him to be that now. He's 21. Sign and stash, a la Stephen Jackson.

I just don't see him developing without PT. Sitting him does he or the Spurs no good. He's from Texas. My guess if the Spurs want him in a few years, they'll be strongly considered.

He needs lots of playing time and the assurance that he won't be pulled for a bad shot or poor pass.

JMarkJohns
10-20-2005, 07:47 PM
Yep. By the way, i'm so pissed that they didn't win it all last year. They were so close.

It was a crying shame that Channing and Salim became the first ever Lute Olsen four-yar class to never know a Final Four.

Every other graduating player had been to at least one.

They were one shot away in 2003, one shot away in 2005. Sad.

sickdsm
10-20-2005, 08:34 PM
I just don't see him developing without PT. Sitting him does he or the Spurs no good. He's from Texas. My guess if the Spurs want him in a few years, they'll be strongly considered.

He needs lots of playing time and the assurance that he won't be pulled for a bad shot or poor pass.

My thoughts on him exactly. He's a lot like a rookie QB. He's a deer in the headlights but it will just take him some time to adjust. They guy has been a gym rat. He practices hard. But he's been known to do stuff like rip his jersey off during summer league games and in general dumb stuff like that.

exstatic
10-20-2005, 10:10 PM
I just don't see him developing without PT. Sitting him does he or the Spurs no good. He's from Texas.

A year on the IR did Jackson a world of good. He got a chance to learn the organization and the team's system. He was signed in the summer of 2001, was starting by December of 2002, and was a key player in the 2003 playoff run. Devin Brown went through similar growing pains, athough he spent more time on the active list.

Pop is real good at taking other team's castoffs, breaking down their egos, and turning them into Spurs material. Part of that recipe is time on the inactive list.

JMarkJohns
10-20-2005, 11:02 PM
Oddly enough, Jackson was Arizona's first prep-to-pro commit, Ebi was its last...

Just ironic.

He could work. Good coaches make good players. But just believe me, he's raw and will not help a contending team for a year, minimum. Likely two. On top of that, you'll need to commit to him. Allow him to fail. He'll learn.

LeBron said he was one of the best players he ever played against. That means something.

sprrs
10-20-2005, 11:25 PM
Oddly enough, Jackson was Arizona's first prep-to-pro commit, Ebi was its last...

Just ironic.

He could work. Good coaches make good players. But just believe me, he's raw and will not help a contending team for a year, minimum. Likely two. On top of that, you'll need to commit to him. Allow him to fail. He'll learn.

LeBron said he was one of the best players he ever played against. That means something.

That's the thing we won't need him for a few years until Bowen retires, and with Bowen possibly mentoring him he could be even better. I definitely htink he could be a good addition, the problem is I don't really see the Spurs signing him if he gets waived, I think they'd probably trade for him if anything.

JMarkJohns
10-20-2005, 11:52 PM
In my opinion, Ebi isn't a case of mentoring. He's sat behind and practiced with Garnett for two years. Hasn't gotten him very far.

Ebi simply needs to play. He don't do one thing well right now, so he really cannot impact a game. His averages last seson were 27 minutes, 13.5 points, 8 rebounds in the two games he played. Not bad, though I'm not sure who against and all...

You can use Jackson, but he had played in various league's bfore he got to the Spurs. Ebi hasn't had that "luxery"...

sprrs
10-21-2005, 12:16 AM
well if that's the case then yeah I don't really think he'd be of any use to the Spurs at the moment. He's definitely not going to get much playing time here. But I think if we can get him for a low price or without giving up much then it wouldn't hurt just to have him on the roster.

SenorSpur
10-21-2005, 12:19 AM
Maybe we could stash him away for a year or two. Kinda like we did with SJax.

JMarkJohns
10-21-2005, 12:26 AM
He's obviously not a bad signing. I just don't think it's good for him, because he needs PT.

Forgive me moment of ebonics..."He don't do anything well" ?!! WTF?

Must have ben in a hurry...

sickdsm
10-21-2005, 09:51 AM
He had his best game against the Spurs in the season finale. It was a garbage game but still, the second string spurs are no laughing stock.

This was in today's paper.

"Seeking a way to extend forward Ndudi Ebi's fledgling career with the team, the Timberwolves have petitioned the NBA for an exception to the eligibility rules for the new Developmental League system. Ebi, a 2003 first-round draft pick, made only 19 appearances for a total of 86 minutes in his first two NBA seasons, yet would not qualify to play in the "D" league as a Wolves property. Currently, in the new affiliation system, a player can be assigned to a developmental team during his first two seasons only." Minneapolis Star Tribune

"If the exception isn't granted, Ebi might be released by the end of the month despite a guaranteed salary ($803,600) for this season. He still could play in the minor league -- but the Wolves would lose his rights. Team owner Glen Taylor and General Manager Jim Stack confirmed the club's request on Ebi's behalf." Minneapolis Star Tribune

"Without specifying details of the team's petition -- believed to be based on Ebi's age (21) for this entire season -- Taylor said only Ebi and one other player would be affected by the exception. Boston's Kendrick Perkins is believed to be the second player. There is no age requirement in the current rules." Minneapolis Star Tribune

genghisrex
10-21-2005, 10:16 AM
Here's hoping for a denial.

sprrs
10-21-2005, 11:33 AM
He's obviously not a bad signing. I just don't think it's good for him, because he needs PT.

Forgive me moment of ebonics..."He don't do anything well" ?!! WTF?

Must have ben in a hurry...

I guess at worst he'll sign with another team where he can get PT for a short contract, then afterwards the Spurs can go after him.

sickdsm
10-21-2005, 11:56 AM
I wonder if there isn't a good chance they make an exception since had the rule been into place, last year would have been his rookie year.

SpursWoman
10-21-2005, 01:09 PM

No, User is 6'4" with an 89" wingspan ... it's not weird looking at all, and he's really good at reaching shit on the top shelf. :) :lol

Kori Ellis
10-22-2005, 02:09 PM
Ebi upset with T-Wolves efforts to get him to NBDL
Associated Press

MINNEAPOLIS -- The Minnesota Timberwolves are petitioning the NBA for an exception that would allow them to send third-year pro Ndudi Ebi to the NBDL, something that came as a surprise to Ebi.

"I'm not a development league player. I'm an NBA player," Ebi said Friday after practice. "I've been playing against NBA players since I was 15 years old. I'm an NBA player. I'm not a developmental league player, period."

Entering his third season in the NBA, Ebi is not eligible under a new rule that allows teams to assign players with less than two years of experience to the NBDL.

The Timberwolves are hoping that the league would allow the 21-year-old Ebi, who was drafted in the first round in 2003 straight out of high school, to be "grandfathered in."

"That's a great word for it," new coach Dwane Casey said. "This kid needs to play. He's a talented athlete. He needs to get a feel for the game with bodies out there and how to navigate those players."

Ebi has played in just 19 games in his two seasons, including only two last year. He looked impressive in one of them, scoring 18 points against San Antonio in the final game of the year.

He hasn't seen much playing time this preseason either, averaging less than 4.0 minutes and 3.0 points in three games.

"It's premature to speculate on whether Ndudi is truly a candidate for this type of option," Ebi's agent, Dan Fegan, told The Associated Press. "But the spirit of the rule, on both sides of the table, was to help younger players get an opportunity to develop. Ndudi wants to be a good teammate and good part of the organization and is willing explore the options that will help him do that."

Casey, general manager Jim Stack and vice president of basketball operations Kevin McHale think a stint in the D-league, where he would get much more playing time, would help Ebi develop.

"We're just looking at options, there's nothing wrong with that," Casey said. "We're trying to see if it's a possibility. This kid needs to play. He's a talented athlete. He needs to get a feel for the game with bodies out there and how to navigate those players."

The biggest mistake the Timberwolves may have made was letting news of their proposal slip out before discussing it with Ebi.

McHale declined comment on Friday and Casey apologized for not informing Ebi sooner, saying he wasn't surprised at Ebi's initial resistance.

"No player should expect themselves to be a D-league player. I'd be very disappointed with any player who was jumping up and down saying, 'Hey, I want to go to the D-league.' That's not to be unexpected."

As upset as Ebi was, he said he would need time to think about how he would take such a proposition, if it comes.

"I've been doing this for a long time, but if that's how they feel, that's how they feel," Ebi said. "A lot of guys in my position would go crazy right now. But I know what I can do. My confidence is still the same.

"If that's what they want to do, I respect their decision. Basketball's a business, I understand that."

Casey said no decision has been made yet on whether Ebi will make the roster, even though his $800,000 salary is guaranteed this season, or if they would assign him to the D-league if that is an option.

"We haven't got to that bridge yet," Casey said. "At least I haven't."

ChumpDumper
10-22-2005, 02:13 PM
Ebi's agent, Dan Fegan"Ebi to the Spurs" is officially dead.

Kori Ellis
10-22-2005, 02:14 PM
"Ebi to the Spurs" is officially dead.

That's exactly what I thought when I read it.

John T
10-22-2005, 02:19 PM
"Ebi to the Spurs" is officially dead.

Why, who is this guy?

Carie

Kori Ellis
10-22-2005, 02:37 PM
Stephen Jackson's agent, among others. He's probably the worst agent in the league as far as teams not liking to deal with him. Supposedly Pop refuses to deal with him at all, so RC negotiates with him if they need to deal with his players. He's screwed the Spurs over in the past.

John T
10-22-2005, 02:40 PM
Oh, thanks for the info. If no one wants to deal with him, why does anybody sign with him?

Carie

Kori Ellis
10-22-2005, 02:42 PM
Well, he gets things done for his players one way or another. For example, SJackson didn't accept the Spurs offer and then ended up going to the Hawks for a small one year deal. In the end it was better for him because he ended up in Indy for a sizable contract the following season.

John T
10-22-2005, 02:48 PM
In the end it was better for him because he ended up in Indy for a sizable contract the following season.

Albeit without adding another ring to his collection. So in that regards it sucks, but I guess it's not like he's on a no talent team.

Carie

picnroll
10-23-2005, 08:36 AM
No surprise here.

link (https://registration.twincities.com/reg/login.do?url=http://www.twincities.com%2Fmld%2Ftwincities%2Fsports%2Fb asketball%2F12973389.htm%3Fsource%3Drss%26channel% 3Dtwincities_basketball)

League Won't Let Ebi In NBDL
23rd October, 2005 - 5:50 am
St. Paul Pioneer Press - Two exhibition games remain for the Timberwolves. It remains to be seen whether that's all the time left in Ndudi Ebi's career as a Wolf.

The NBA has informed the Wolves that Ebi will not be granted an exception to play in the NBA Development League, which could give the Wolves more incentive to waive the former first-round pick by the end of the month. The Wolves had petitioned the league for an exception so that Ebi could get more playing time in an attempt to get his career off the ground.

But the collective bargaining agreement states that only players in their first two seasons are eligible. The league found no wiggle room in the bargaining agreement.

"We've informed the team that the collective bargaining agreement specifically says players in their first two years," NBA spokesman Tim Frank said Saturday. "It won't be possible for Ndudi Ebi or any other player who's further along than his second year to go to the developmental league."

Wolves coach Dwane Casey said Saturday he was not surprised by the league's decision. Casey said Wolves vice president of basketball operations Kevin McHale called Stu Jackson, NBA senior vice president of basketball operations, to inquire about options regarding Ebi.

"Kevin called Stu just to see more than anything else," Casey said. "It kind of got blown out of proportion." [READ]

ChumpDumper
10-23-2005, 02:36 PM
I wonder if he'd clear waivers.

ducks
10-24-2005, 02:48 PM
Timberwolves: Exception for Ebi not in the cards
by Fanball Staff - Fanball.com
Monday, October 24, 2005

News
The NBA refused to issue an exception that would've allowed them to ship forward Ndudi Ebi to the developmental league, the St. Paul Pioneer Press reports. The Wolves sought the exception in order to given Ebi more playing time without keeping him on the roster. The team will decide by Friday whether or not to keep him on the roster or waive him.

Views
At this point the Wolves may be better off paying Ebi what remains on his contract and giving his roster spot to someone who may actually see the court this season. Ebi wasn't thrilled when he learned about a possible "demotion" claiming he belongs in this league but really, what has he done to justify that statement? When it comes to Ebi, keep him far from your fantasy roster.

kris
10-25-2005, 11:09 AM
No, User is 6'4" with an 89" wingspan ... it's not weird looking at all, and he's really good at reaching shit on the top shelf. :) :lol

Christy there is no way. 89'' = 7'5'' wingspan. Chris would look like he had two elephants noses coming out of his shoulders. He would for sure be able to dunk. I'd say 79" would be pretty long in itself. That would put him at 6'7'' which would be 3 inches over his height.