PDA

View Full Version : Realistic offseason moves you would make

8FOR!3
03-05-2018, 02:25 PM
Just curious what everyone thinks we should do in the offseason without the drastic blow the whole thing up predictions. Assuming Ginobili retires, which I believe he probably will, I think Mario Hezonja would be the perfect guy to sign if we can afford him. He is just now starting to play really good basketball and I think the Spurs could really use someone on the bench with more basketball pedigree. He was a top 5 pick who's still in his early 20's and I think there's a good chance he's finally starting to figure it out. NBADraft.net has the Spurs picking around #22 and if we could get another athletic PG like Trevon Duval or an athletic wing/big guy then I think it would really transform our bench adding one of them and Hezonja.

Mitchell Robinson is probably ideal but he may not be on the board by the time our pick is up. There are a lot more big guys project to go in the 20's than in the 2nd round though so I think that may end up being our move. I think we can all agree a mobile athletic big guy who can come off the bench and play decent defense and set good picks is what we really need and I think adding a guy like Hezonja for the MLE 8 million dollar range even if for multiple years could be really good value...

coachmac87
03-05-2018, 02:36 PM
If Rockets win the title...

Do whatever it takes to get in front of LeBron James..

If GSW wins the title...just pray LeBron doesn’t sign with Houston..

Do whatever it takes to get out of Mills contract should be priority #1 regardless

DPG21920
03-05-2018, 02:57 PM
Renounce TP/Manu and if they come back (which I’m fine with and want) make sure it’s with whatever money is left over.

Move Mills and Pau if possible (in that order). Give yourself flexibility even with no FA commitment. Free up time for White/Murray even more and give yourself a chance to grab picks by absorbing contracts from other teams and help in the trade market.

Draft an upside wing/big to the best of your ability.

Keep Kyle if you can. Forbes/Bertans are not a huge priority but would not be bad if TP/Manu go.

Go hard after Lebron (even if it’s highly unlikely he would ever play in SA).

But realistically, give a hard look at some young bigs in upcoming free agency, even if some are gambles. We have learned that even without Kawhi, that LMA/Danny/Murray are good enough to anchor a defense. So get a big who can help with scoring: Ersan Ilyasova, Mirotic, Nerlens Noel (not a scorer but maybe worth a flier), Hezonja (someone I am very interested in for SA). Something like that.

Free up space regardless if you can (even if it takes a future pick), go after some more offense (like what SA is trying with Bertans but he’s just more limited).

But ultimately the only thing that matters is GET KAWHI UNDER AN EXTENSION AND SOLVE THAT. NOTHING ELSE REALLY MATTERS.

DAF86
03-05-2018, 03:03 PM
-Offer Kawhi supermax.
-Go hard after Lebron.
-Move Mills and Gasol.

-Draft wings.

-If anything good is on the table for Aldridge (sing and trade for Lebron?) move him.

apalisoc_9
03-05-2018, 03:05 PM
The spurs have no idea what to do. Their first order of business is figuring out if kawhi is staying, if he is not...Then expect multiple first round picks.

FvckMavs
03-05-2018, 03:06 PM
Move Mills and Pau if possible ...

Mission impossible, tbh.

gambit1990
03-05-2018, 03:10 PM
don’t resign tony or forbes.

Play Boban
03-05-2018, 03:13 PM
1. FIRE POOP

Poolboy5623
03-05-2018, 03:19 PM
Realistic offseason moves for the Spurs?? What free agents will be near 40, they can sign??

spurraider21
03-05-2018, 03:22 PM
1. Give Kawhi supermax. End all speculation about him going forward.
2. Find a trade partner for Patty/Pau. Ideally both, but at least 1.
3. Move on from Tony
4. Keep Anderson... as much as I love Bertans, Kyle is just a better player. If we have to choose between one of them, at this point it has to be Anderson. But if you can find a way to keep both, I'm down.

dabom
03-05-2018, 03:22 PM
Fathead is bad for the playoffs.

Leetonidas
03-05-2018, 03:23 PM
Trade Pau/Mills should be obvious. Supermax Kawhi, even if he is damaged good some dumbass will trade for him (see: Blake Griffin). Re-sign TP/Manu for the min if they want to come back. Go hard at LeBron. If they (likely) miss out on James, see what you can get for Aldridge and if nothing good, just wait it out til a good deal comes along. Draft a big in the draft.

Spurs FA priority aside from someone like LBJ should be a young cheap big or two and some shooters. Make a fair offer to Kyle and if he accepts, re-sign. If not, let him get his money.

dabom
03-05-2018, 03:30 PM
Well realistically the healthiest player on this team isn't going anywhere especially when we just signed him. :lol

Chillen
03-05-2018, 03:45 PM
If Spurs can sign LeBron I wouldn't trade Pau. He would thrive off the double teams Leonard, LMA and LeBron would create. I think he would be perfect in that kind of system. Regardless if your Spurs you go hard after LeBron with the idea of him pairing with LMA and Leonard. Mills needs to be traded.

spurraider21
03-05-2018, 03:48 PM
i would pink dabom, also

sananspursfan21
03-05-2018, 04:06 PM
Don’t burn me at the stake here, but when will Boogie be healed? If (or when) Lebron chooses to stay or play elsewhere, would he be worth a look?

SAGirl
03-05-2018, 04:08 PM
Don’t burn me at the stake here, but when will Boogie be healed? If (or when) Lebron chooses to stay or play elsewhere, would he be worth a look?
I have thought of him and guys like Tyreke Evans. It wouldn’t have to be Lebron or bust.

MaNu4Tres
03-05-2018, 04:23 PM
Renounce TP/Manu and if they come back (which I’m fine with and want) make sure it’s with whatever money is left over.

Move Mills and Pau if possible (in that order). Give yourself flexibility even with no FA commitment. Free up time for White/Murray even more and give yourself a chance to grab picks by absorbing contracts from other teams and help in the trade market.

Draft an upside wing/big to the best of your ability.

Keep Kyle if you can. Forbes/Bertans are not a huge priority but would not be bad if TP/Manu go.

Go hard after Lebron (even if it’s highly unlikely he would ever play in SA).

But realistically, give a hard look at some young bigs in upcoming free agency, even if some are gambles. We have learned that even without Kawhi, that LMA/Danny/Murray are good enough to anchor a defense. So get a big who can help with scoring: Ersan Ilyasova, Mirotic, Nerlens Noel (not a scorer but maybe worth a flier), Hezonja (someone I am very interested in for SA). Something like that.

Free up space regardless if you can (even if it takes a future pick), go after some more offense (like what SA is trying with Bertans but he’s just more limited).

But ultimately the only thing that matters is GET KAWHI UNDER AN EXTENSION AND SOLVE THAT. NOTHING ELSE REALLY MATTERS.

DPG pretty much covered everything.

3 guys I want the Spurs to target in the draft are:

DeAndre Hunter
Mitchell Robinson
Zhaire Smith

Draft one or try to do what you can to draft two of those players. All three have huge upside as two-way players -- especially defensively.

- Bring over Milutinov if you can.

- Don't overpay for decent talent ( Mirotic, Ersan). Only be a buyer for slightly above average talent if the market dries out ( which means finding great value).

I have a rule. Do not ever pay over 8-10 million per year for a role player if they're a defensive liability. Allocating that much money to role players who can't play defense is a complete waste and a terrible way to use large portions of the cap in todays NBA -- especially when or if you have a super max player under contract sucking up 30-40% of the cap.

If Kawhi doesn't sign the super max, then shop and trade him to LA or Boston.

r0drig0lac
03-05-2018, 04:47 PM
- Move Mills and Pau
- profit

if possible
- Keep Kyle
- sign Blossomgame and put White in rotation

spurraider21
03-05-2018, 04:54 PM
still dont see exactly where blossomgame fits, but yeah, i'd like to see a lot more derrick white

TheGreatYacht
03-05-2018, 05:01 PM
The only money the Spurs should spend on Fathead is a one way ticket to China. He moves the scale to contention about as much as a wet fart does.

San Antonio Slayer
03-05-2018, 05:01 PM
I am sick with allarounders. I would love to have two scorers (not shooters) on a PF/C and PG/SG positions. I wouldn't chase Lebron or a bigger fish unless he/they want to join us on a cut salary. I am sure with healthy supermaxsigned Kawhi, retired Parker and Manu we can get a nice roster under the cap. I would love to get Beasley as a starter and Jeff Green as a backup PF. If we can keep a healthy Rudy Gay I am sure Kawhi would dominate on a SG position with Kyle Anderson on SF in the starting line up. I don't know what Isiah Thomas idea of free agency would be after such a suckerpunch from the east coast, but I would love him or Tyreke Evans as a main bench scoring power.
Murray+Kawhi+Anderson+Beasley+Aldridge
Mills/Evans+Danny Green/Forbes+Gay/Paul+Jeff Green+Gasol/tanked draft pick big man

r0drig0lac
03-05-2018, 05:03 PM
I am sick with allarounders. I would love to have two scorers (not shooters) on a PF/C and PG/SG positions. I wouldn't chase Lebron or a bigger fish unless he/they want to join us on a cut salary. I am sure with healthy supermaxsigned Kawhi, retired Parker and Manu we can get a nice roster under the cap. I would love to get Beasley as a starter and Jeff Green as a backup PF. If we can keep a healthy Rudy Gay I am sure Kawhi would dominate on a SG position with Kyle Anderson on SF in the starting line up. I don't know what Isiah Thomas idea of free agency would be after such a suckerpunch from the east coast, but I would love him or Tyreke Evans as a main bench scoring power.
Murray+Kawhi+Anderson+Beasley+Aldridge
Mills/Evans+Danny Green/Forbes+Gay/Paul+Jeff Green+Gasol/tanked draft pick big man

please, no player less than 6'5''

sananspursfan21
03-05-2018, 05:18 PM
I have thought of him and guys like Tyreke Evans. It wouldn’t have to be Lebron or bust.

Although they have their differences in style, he and Aldridge might be too similar to have both on the roster but it would make an intriguing frontcourt situation. And when he’s motivated and not trying to do too much on offense, he can defend that rim with the best of them

pad300
03-05-2018, 05:20 PM
This offseason has a lot of strategic questions.
1) The most important question of course, is Kawhi. Is he in? Can he get healthy? I'm in no position to answer those. His talent is undeniable, but can you, in good faith, give a supermax contract to a guy who just basically missed a year? I think if the Spurs offer, Kawhi will sign (but I am not certain, he may want out). I do not know if the spurs will offer; I get the impression they are not impressed with what has gone on this season. This choice informs the next several seasons. If he is in we contend, if he's out we rebuild.
From here on each step offers one of the two paths a) is contention, b) is rebuild
2a) Chase Lebron. Be willing to move assets - current and future first round picks, as well as prospects - to do a S&T with CLE, presumably based around the salary of Pau and Patty. If CLE wants no part, then you need to use those assets to dump Pau and Patty for space anyhow... The alternative is moving LMA's salary, after all, can you see him liking being a 3ed option?
2b) Trade Kawhi for long duration assets (firsts and future firsts), because w/o him we need to wait out GS anyhow.
3a) If you haven't already, dump Patty. Pau's contract isn't good, but Patty's is strategically untenable. We have too many 1 position PG's on the roster. DJ and White look to be the future, and I don't see Tony retiring yet, so he will be back as the backup PG. That's 3 PG's. Any others have to be capable of playing & DEFENDING SG. Paying Patty the money his is on if he is not starting is hopeless, and he shouldn't be starting.
3b) Be ready to trade anyone but Dejounte and White (and maybe Milutinov) for assets. Get ready to lose a lot.
4a) As a backup plan to Lebron, go after Tyreke Evans. I think Lou Williams resigning with the Clips set his market at MLE level... We will see.
5) Draft BPA. Don't worry about positions.
6) Our Free Agents - Tony - be willing to bring back on the cheap (LLE level). Forbes - let go. Anderson - resign for the MLE or less. Bertans - resign if he is cheap (LLE level). Costello - release (I haven't seen anything impressive). Hilliard -maybe keep. If Danny or Rudy opt out, be willing to resign for the MLE or no higher (I don't think either of them will - there is going to be very little money available and their agents should know it). If Joff opts out, goodbye.
7) Bring over Milutinov.
8) Ask Manu if he wants to coach. if yes, offer him an assistant gig.

lebomb
03-05-2018, 05:48 PM
I would trade Gasol, Patty Mills, and Dejounte for Lebron, Curry and Durant. Not necessarily in that order.

cd021
03-05-2018, 06:05 PM
Resign/ Extend-Kawhi, Gay, Bertans, Anderson, Parker

Let walk/ waive- Forbes, Joff, BP3 (let him try and earn his spot next preseason), Green (can't afford to pay both Mills and Green along with Kawhi and LaMarcus long term)

Draft- draft a big.

Free Agency Get a competent bench big.

PG- Murray-Parker-White
SG-Mills-Manu-White-Paul?
SF-Kawhi-Anderson
PF-Aldridge-Gay-Bertans
C-Gasol-Backup Big- Draft pick

pad300
03-05-2018, 06:14 PM
Resign/ Extend-Kawhi, Gay, Bertans, Anderson, Parker

Let walk/ waive- Forbes, Joff, BP3 (let him try and earn his spot next preseason), Green (can't afford to pay both Mills and Green along with Kawhi and LaMarcus long term)

Draft- draft a big.

Free Agency Get a competent bench big.

PG- Murray-Parker-White
SG-Mills-Manu-White-Paul?
SF-Kawhi-Anderson
PF-Aldridge-Gay-Bertans
C-Gasol-Backup Big- Draft pick

I agree you can't afford both Mills and Green, but why not trade Mills and keep Green - even if you have to spend assets to do it, it's probably worth it.

DPG21920
03-05-2018, 06:22 PM
For reference of SA’s off season possilbities and the path to any real cap space:

http://www.shamsports.com/capulator?id=13732821565a9dcf952eaa2234631657

If all of the following happens, SA would still be 2M above the salary cap:

1. Danny Green declined his 2018-19 player option worth $ 10,000,000
2. Rudy Gay declined his 2018-19 player option worth $ 8,826,300
3. Renounced $ 15,000,000 2018-19 cap hold for Danny Green
4. Renounced $ 10,087,200 2018-19 cap hold for Rudy Gay
5. Re-signed Tony Parker to 1yrs/$ 1,499,699 contract starting in 2018-19 using 10-Year Vet. Minimum Exception
6.Waived Brandon Paul in 2018-19 with $ 0 remaining over 0 year(s)
7.Renounced $ 1,471,382 2018-19 cap hold for David Lee
8. Renounced $ 1,714,547 2018-19 cap hold for Bryn Forbes
9. Renounced $ 1,714,547 2018-19 cap hold for Davis Bertans
10. Renounced $ 1,351,118 2018-19 cap hold for Darrun Hilliard
11. Renounced $ 1,351,118 2018-19 cap hold for Matt Costello

So, if Danny/Rudy both pick up options the path to cap space becomes really difficult. If they both decline options and SA is ok with renouncing TPs cap hold (to sign him at vet min or something later), then getting cap space becomes about being able to move Pau/Mills or both.

If SA moves both of Pau/Mills with no money back and all of the above happens (but especially the TP/Rudy/Danny parts), SA could have about 28M in cap space.

DPG21920
03-05-2018, 06:24 PM
Let me know if anyone has any scenarios they would like me to toy with.

james evans
03-05-2018, 06:33 PM
-Offer Kawhi supermax.
-Go hard after Lebron.
-Move Mills and Gasol.

I'm still not understanding that Gasol extension. That's some shit I'll never figure out

-Draft wings.

-If anything good is on the table for Aldridge (sing and trade for Lebron?) move him.

pad300
03-05-2018, 06:51 PM
Let me know if anyone has any scenarios they would like me to toy with.

1) What does a S&T for Lebron look like, based around LMA or Pau/Patty?
2) How many realistic teams are there that could offer more than the MLE to an FA? I think the number is 6 or so, which implies some good players will be available for the MLE.

SAGirl
03-05-2018, 06:52 PM
Thanks for going through all that trouble DPG, much appreciated.

Ditty
03-05-2018, 07:11 PM
1. FIRE POOP

TD 21
03-05-2018, 07:12 PM
Hezonja is all but guaranteed to end up on a young team, with significant cap space. Bulls, Mavericks (since they prefer playing Barnes at power forward), Kings, who were rumored today, are all examples of such teams and they all have a gaping hole at small forward.

I've been beating this drum for a few months, but a 3 team Walker trade, where Nets receive Mills, Bertans, Hornets receive Lin, Gay, Murray, 1st and Spurs receive Walker, Williams. Then offer Leonard the super max and re-sign all free agents.

DPG21920
03-05-2018, 07:29 PM
1) What does a S&T for Lebron look like, based around LMA or Pau/Patty?
2) How many realistic teams are there that could offer more than the MLE to an FA? I think the number is 6 or so, which implies some good players will be available for the MLE.

1. I believe if Bron opts out and becomes an UFA, his max is around 35M for a sign-and-trade (I believe). So it it would have to be something Spurs would need to approximate that salary. LMA & Mills would be close (might have to add in a small filler). But you get the picture.

2. That is a tough question, because with so many player/team options alongside trades, what it looks like today could look very different come free agency. If we just go off a 101M salary cap next year and assume there are no trades and all options are picked up (very unlikely) there are 6 teams: ATL, CHI, IND, SAC, PHX & DAL (but the last 3 only have cap space that is less than the MLE so they would in fact use the MLE in this scenario).

But it’s a tough question tbh..

tholdren
03-05-2018, 10:36 PM
Trade kl pau mills. Tell manu and tp to retire

Chinook
03-05-2018, 10:56 PM
For reference of SA’s off season possilbities and the path to any real cap space:

http://www.shamsports.com/capulator?id=13732821565a9dcf952eaa2234631657

If all of the following happens, SA would still be 2M above the salary cap:

1. Danny Green declined his 2018-19 player option worth $ 10,000,000
2. Rudy Gay declined his 2018-19 player option worth $ 8,826,300
3. Renounced $ 15,000,000 2018-19 cap hold for Danny Green
4. Renounced $ 10,087,200 2018-19 cap hold for Rudy Gay
5. Re-signed Tony Parker to 1yrs/$ 1,499,699 contract starting in 2018-19 using 10-Year Vet. Minimum Exception
6.Waived Brandon Paul in 2018-19 with $ 0 remaining over 0 year(s)
7.Renounced $ 1,471,382 2018-19 cap hold for David Lee
8. Renounced $ 1,714,547 2018-19 cap hold for Bryn Forbes
9. Renounced $ 1,714,547 2018-19 cap hold for Davis Bertans
10. Renounced $ 1,351,118 2018-19 cap hold for Darrun Hilliard
11. Renounced $ 1,351,118 2018-19 cap hold for Matt Costello

So, if Danny/Rudy both pick up options the path to cap space becomes really difficult. If they both decline options and SA is ok with renouncing TPs cap hold (to sign him at vet min or something later), then getting cap space becomes about being able to move Pau/Mills or both.

If SA moves both of Pau/Mills with no money back and all of the above happens (but especially the TP/Rudy/Danny parts), SA could have about 28M in cap space.

As a point of clarification, the team would actually have like $10 Million in that scenario. The program adds in the MLE and LLE if doing so keeps cap space. In this particular situation, it would behoove the team to go under the cap and use the room exception. Would give them a couple million in flexibility. Stashing their pick and keeping Milutinov stashed would also give more space.

http://www.shamsports.com/capulator?id=11565649515a9e10f1af2de031747542

And of course, getting rid of Kyle's hold (or more likely, swapping it out for Bertans') would get them up more. I wouldn't commit to losing Green, Gay or Anderson just to keep Mills in the fold, but if they were obsessed with keeping him and Pau while also using cap space, they'd have like $18 Million or so to do it.

Chinook
03-05-2018, 11:02 PM
1. I believe if Bron opts out and becomes an UFA, his max is around 35M for a sign-and-trade (I believe). So it it would have to be something Spurs would need to approximate that salary. LMA & Mills would be close (might have to add in a small filler). But you get the picture.

2. That is a tough question, because with so many player/team options alongside trades, what it looks like today could look very different come free agency. If we just go off a 101M salary cap next year and assume there are no trades and all options are picked up (very unlikely) there are 6 teams: ATL, CHI, IND, SAC, PHX & DAL (but the last 3 only have cap space that is less than the MLE so they would in fact use the MLE in this scenario).

But it’s a tough question tbh..

Second point of clarification (that I would have just put in the other one had I seen this before. The team doesn't have to get nearly that close to S&T for James. They'd actually have to get to like $28 Million for it to work. Gasol and Mills would actually be enough. For everyone's sake, it would be better if James opted in and was traded directly THIS offseason for Mills, Gasol and picks in addition to Paul if he works or White if Paul doesn't. I'm not sure how many picks it would take to complete such a deal, but that would be the idea.

DPG21920
03-05-2018, 11:17 PM
Got ya - thanks for the clarification! Didn’t notice that. Thought it looked odd, but couldn’t see anything that jumped out.

cd021
03-05-2018, 11:18 PM
I agree you can't afford both Mills and Green, but why not trade Mills and keep Green - even if you have to spend assets to do it, it's probably worth it.

Not if it means giving up a first rounder in the off-season (especially considering ours may be in the early 20's this year)
Do you have trade idea involving Mill's because it is common for people to want him gone but only say to trade him, I am not sure it can be easily done either

venitian navigator
03-09-2018, 07:29 AM
imho the moves for next year will be conditioned by two factors:
1) the fact that the money available for free agents is gonna be limited;
2) the fact that probably, after a long time, we'll gonna draft in the lottery.

I would not be surprised if all of our free agents, except the minimum ones ( a la Jo.lo) opt in (expecially in case of player options with no bird rights a la Gay) or out just after a mutual agreement with the team to re-sign using bird rights (a la Green).
At that point the best way will be to re-sign all our restricted young free agents of interest (I see them as Kyle and Bertans) or old ones (Parker at vet min.).

Having a lottery draft choice gives us the chance to :

a) select the best player available and decide to let him try to become a consistent part of the rotation or
b) trade the pick along with one or two veterans (Gasol, Mills) for a real third weapon.

Option one is the most probable, since I don't see many teams renouncing a good enough player that could interest us at the point of renouncing a lottery pick. But who knows? it all depends if the F.O. will be convinced they'll find someone of real interest...(its a deep draft)...or if some teams gets annoyed with one of their supposed stars...(one example could be Wiggins in Minny).

Then could happen some decisions about other players we follow or control...our d-leaguers (I heard ljc is playing well, as Hanlan, Hilliard, Blossomgame etc) or picks (Milutinov, Dangubic). But, frankly, I don't see any of them as part of the team next season except for the two way player chance (16th and 17th spot on the roster).

The point is that a lot of our plans for next season, imho, will be related to the draft...and I'm not sold at the idea that we are gonna draft a big, like most of us are suggesting ( and with a sense, considering next draft will be deep in bigs).

So, for having a real picture, we'll need, imho, to see before when and who we draft...

objective
03-09-2018, 08:47 AM
DPG pretty much covered everything.

3 guys I want the Spurs to target in the draft are:

DeAndre Hunter
Mitchell Robinson
Zhaire Smith

Draft one or try to do what you can to draft two of those players. All three have huge upside as two-way players -- especially defensively.

- Bring over Milutinov if you can.

- Don't overpay for decent talent ( Mirotic, Ersan). Only be a buyer for slightly above average talent if the market dries out ( which means finding great value).

I have a rule. Do not ever pay over 8-10 million per year for a role player if they're a defensive liability. Allocating that much money to role players who can't play defense is a complete waste and a terrible way to use large portions of the cap in todays NBA -- especially when or if you have a super max player under contract sucking up 30-40% of the cap.

If Kawhi doesn't sign the super max, then shop and trade him to LA or Boston.

I like what I've seen of Zhaire. Looks like the type who would get into the late lottery.

Others have said it all but I'll put my vote in alongside:

Noel
maybe Hezonja

1. If they're above the cap, MLE for Noel. Noel's a longshot and a headcase lottery ticket, but he's better than Joffrey and should be a vertical threat.
2. Supermax for Kawhi but a 5th year unguaranteed that becomes fully guaranteed if he hits a a games-played trigger of 200 or 220 in years 1-4.
3. The other details don't really matter. Green yes, Green no, Gay in, Gay out, Parker in, Parker out, whatever.

If no Noel, then spend the money on Milutinov. Not full MLE, but there's just not a lot of bigs out there.

I have grown to really like Murray and have faith in his future development, but if Charlotte will take Mills with Murray for Kemba, I'd be fine with that.

The draft pick this summer will be the most important since the Kawhi draft. They can't afford to screw up the pick, and they can't afford Pop screwing the pick over with his garbage over fairness and rookies.

Ultimately, the team, the franchise, may have committed suicide with the past summer. That's the summer of anguish. The indefensible Mills deal with it's abominable 4 years, and the confusing Pau deal with it's extra bloat for a player routinely relegated to the bench, was just so stupid that I don't think it's survivable barring an unexpected miracle in the draft.

venitian navigator
03-09-2018, 09:15 AM
maybe I'm wrong, but the decision of Gay if opting in or not matters bacause if he opt in we have no more mle avaialble (he's been signed with the mle and that would be his second mle year).
Frankly, for the little I've seen, looks like a healthy gay could be one of the best mle options...expecially in his actual role of a stretch four/five.

pad300
03-09-2018, 11:06 AM
maybe I'm wrong, but the decision of Gay if opting in or not matters bacause if he opt in we have no more mle avaialble (he's been signed with the mle and that would be his second mle year).
Frankly, for the little I've seen, looks like a healthy gay could be one of the best mle options...expecially in his actual role of a stretch four/five.

Unless I've really misunderstood how the MLE works, a team gets a MLE every year, provided they are within certain salary cap parameters - it doesn't matter if they used it last year, provided they meet the parameters...

rasuo214
03-09-2018, 11:47 AM
Dumping Mills/Pau would likely require at least trading a 1st round pick or someone young with potential. So they should only go that route if they are going to sign a big FA.

Obviously Kawhi's status is the key, on how they should proceed. If he re-signs then I think the Spurs should look into acquiring someone that can be a 2nd or 3rd option via trade if FA isn't likely. Also I liked the idea of Rudy Gay and hope they go the route of more reclamation projects with guys coming off injury or maybe haven't fulfilled their potential (haven't really looked at the FA class). The team needs to sell their ability to develop.

mo7888
03-09-2018, 12:18 PM
Dumping Mills/Pau would likely require at least trading a 1st round pick or someone young with potential. So they should only go that route if they are going to sign a big FA.

Obviously Kawhi's status is the key, on how they should proceed. If he re-signs then I think the Spurs should look into acquiring someone that can be a 2nd or 3rd option via trade if FA isn't likely. Also I liked the idea of Rudy Gay and hope they go the route of more reclamation projects with guys coming off injury or maybe haven't fulfilled their potential (haven't really looked at the FA class). The team needs to sell their ability to develop.

If we end up going the reclamation route, I want to go with young guys who didnt reach their potential elsewhere and see if we can add value to them here.

keithington1
03-09-2018, 02:53 PM
At the end of lottery I like Tony Brown Jr so far. I'm trying to find the next Kawhi PG3 type.

Chinook
03-09-2018, 04:20 PM

Unless I've really misunderstood how the MLE works, a team gets a MLE every year, provided they are within certain salary cap parameters - it doesn't matter if they used it last year, provided they meet the parameters...

Pad's on point here. They'll have the MLE available independently of what Gay does. He opts in, they have him and a new MLE. He opts out, they have his non-Bird rights and a new MLE. They also have two early Bird exceptions for Forbes and Bertans that would allow them to give those guys MLE-level deals.

SAGirl
03-09-2018, 06:08 PM
imho the moves for next year will be conditioned by two factors:
1) the fact that the money available for free agents is gonna be limited;
2) the fact that probably, after a long time, we'll gonna draft in the lottery.

I would not be surprised if all of our free agents, except the minimum ones ( a la Jo.lo) opt in (expecially in case of player options with no bird rights a la Gay) or out just after a mutual agreement with the team to re-sign using bird rights (a la Green).
At that point the best way will be to re-sign all our restricted young free agents of interest (I see them as Kyle and Bertans) or old ones (Parker at vet min.).

Having a lottery draft choice gives us the chance to :

a) select the best player available and decide to let him try to become a consistent part of the rotation or
b) trade the pick along with one or two veterans (Gasol, Mills) for a real third weapon.

Option one is the most probable, since I don't see many teams renouncing a good enough player that could interest us at the point of renouncing a lottery pick. But who knows? it all depends if the F.O. will be convinced they'll find someone of real interest...(its a deep draft)...or if some teams gets annoyed with one of their supposed stars...(one example could be Wiggins in Minny).

Then could happen some decisions about other players we follow or control...our d-leaguers (I heard ljc is playing well, as Hanlan, Hilliard, Blossomgame etc) or picks (Milutinov, Dangubic). But, frankly, I don't see any of them as part of the team next season except for the two way player chance (16th and 17th spot on the roster).

The point is that a lot of our plans for next season, imho, will be related to the draft...and I'm not sold at the idea that we are gonna draft a big, like most of us are suggesting ( and with a sense, considering next draft will be deep in bigs).

So, for having a real picture, we'll need, imho, to see before when and who we draft...
Good summary. What you describe here is basically what I expect pretty much. I imagine they will want a meeting with Lebron and perhaps will try to go after a difference maker but if they miss, doing what they can to retain their young players is the route they will likely go. I expected some of their RFA to leave, but I am not sure about that. The market for them will be tough.

In order to make any real changes they have to trade some guys out and that will cost picks, a prospect like Murray or White. It's the kind of move you only make for a significant contributor. It has to be a star.

pad300
03-10-2018, 11:45 AM
Good summary. What you describe here is basically what I expect pretty much. I imagine they will want a meeting with Lebron and perhaps will try to go after a difference maker but if they miss, doing what they can to retain their young players is the route they will likely go. I expected some of their RFA to leave, but I am not sure about that. The market for them will be tough.

In order to make any real changes they have to trade some guys out and that will cost picks, a prospect like Murray or White. It's the kind of move you only make for a significant contributor. It has to be a star.

Not sure I agree with this conclusions. IMO, there are going to be impact players available for the MLE this summer, due to the minimal cap-space available. For example, next year could look like:

LMA, Gasol, Milutinov, ?Joff?
Anderson, Gay, ?Bertans?
Kawhi, Tyreke Evans
Green, Manu,
Murray, Parker, Mills, White

+ Draft Pick

( although I would like to dump Mills from that )

bdictjames
03-10-2018, 12:59 PM
Can we trade for Cedi Osman? I feel like he'd be a good Spur under Pop's tutelage.

SAGirl
03-10-2018, 03:09 PM
Not sure I agree with this conclusions. IMO, there are going to be impact players available for the MLE this summer, due to the minimal cap-space available. For example, next year could look like:

Anderson, Gay, ?Bertans?
Kawhi, Tyreke Evans
Green, Manu,

+ Draft Pick

Good point. I guess I wasn't clear that using picks/prospects to dump contracts is only worth it for a star but you make a good point that may not be necessary.

r0drig0lac
03-10-2018, 03:40 PM
- Blossomgame and White
- Mario Hezonja
- Tyreke Evans
- Jonathon Simmons
- Nerlens Noel
- Wilson Chandler

cd021
03-10-2018, 05:04 PM

Anderson, Gay, ?Bertans?
Kawhi, Tyreke Evans
Green, Manu,

+ Draft Pick

I don't think a team would take on Mills' $38 million remaining for the 20th pick and I don't think the Spurs should chase a bad decision with another one by not using it to bring in a young, cheap talent.

I would let Green walk, mostly because the Spurs can't afford to pay Kawhi the super max, LMA, Mills, and him along with Murray's new contract in 2019. Commit resign Bertans, Gay, Anderson, Parker and a competent bench big. Also would hope PATFO convinces Pau to permanently be the backup 5 behind LMA which would open up Bertans to start at the 4.

LMA-Gasol-FA Big-1st rounder
Bertans-Gay
Kawhi-Anderson
Mills-Manu-Paul?
Murray-Parker-White

think Milutinov will likely come over after next season (He's on the first year of a 3 year year deal, presumably with NBA-outs after every season), IIRC he'll be 24-25 during his first NBA and hopefully ready to contribute so that pick wouldn't go down as a complete disaster. Spurs should take another big, mainly because their are some intriguing ones in the 20-30 range and Gasol will almost certainly be gone after next season and LMA will be 34.

south side spur
03-10-2018, 07:00 PM
At the end of lottery I like Tony Brown Jr so far. I'm trying to find the next Kawhi PG3 type.

Exactly. That’s who I say they target as well. Paul Pierce type game. That would make 4 consecutive PAC 12 draft picks. Fills a need as well if Green or Anderson aren’t brought back. If Mills isn’t moved to Philadelphia to bring back Green if he opts out that’s disgusting.

Thomas82
03-11-2018, 01:57 AM
It would be nice if we could FINALLY draft somebody that can protect the basket. I'm hoping we can get somebody like Mitchell Robinson.

MaNu4Tres
03-11-2018, 02:00 AM
Daniel Gafford is another one I like where Spurs are picking. DeAndre Hunter, Mitchell Robinson being the two others.

Jacob Evans will be a steal for whoever drafts him in the 2nd round.

LakerHater
03-11-2018, 02:16 AM
Fire RC Buford!!

TD 21
03-11-2018, 04:28 PM
I would let Green walk, mostly because the Spurs can't afford to pay Kawhi the super max, LMA, Mills, and him along with Murray's new contract in 2019. Commit resign Bertans, Gay, Anderson, Parker and a competent bench big.

They've already committed to the majority of this core through at least next season and probably will with the remainder of it this off season. Letting Green, the third most important member of it, go, would make no sense, especially considering they'd only have the MLE with which to find a viable replacement. Even lesser versions, like Bradley and Caldwell-Pope, more than likely aren't going to be attainable for that.

They can probably bring this team back and duck the tax, so Green can absolutely be afforded. If worse comes to worst and it costs them a non rotation player, such as Bertans or Forbes, so be it. They have to prioritize him over them.

picnroll
03-11-2018, 04:59 PM
Full on tank in hopes of getting Mikal Bridges in the draft.

K...
03-11-2018, 08:07 PM
Uh, letting green go is hardly a choice! They can't afford him! Patty Mills was the choice. They fucked up huge. It happened

cd021
03-12-2018, 01:58 PM
They've already committed to the majority of this core through at least next season and probably will with the remainder of it this off season. Letting Green, the third most important member of it, go, would make no sense, especially considering they'd only have the MLE with which to find a viable replacement. Even lesser versions, like Bradley and Caldwell-Pope, more than likely aren't going to be attainable for that.

They can probably bring this team back and duck the tax, so Green can absolutely be afforded. If worse comes to worst and it costs them a non rotation player, such as Bertans or Forbes, so be it. They have to prioritize him over them.

Not talking about this off season as much as next off season. They could probably duck the tax this season and bring back everyone except for Forbes but In the 2019 off season they could be paying Kawhi, LMA, Mills and Green $83 million with Murray and his agent (Rich Paul, who is notorious for aggressively pursuing max deals for his players but often landing short of that but getting more than otherwise), Anderson, Gay, Parker, and Bertans possibly pushing the Spurs well past the estimated $131 million luxury tax.

Even without Bertans that number is likely going to be several million over the luxury tax then but with significantly less shooting projected on roster than even this season, plus are the Spurs ever actually going to bring over Militinov?

TD 21
03-12-2018, 03:59 PM
Not talking about this off season as much as next off season. They could probably duck the tax this season and bring back everyone except for Forbes but In the 2019 off season they could be paying Kawhi, LMA, Mills and Green $83 million with Murray and his agent (Rich Paul, who is notorious for aggressively pursuing max deals for his players but often landing short of that but getting more than otherwise), Anderson, Gay, Parker, and Bertans possibly pushing the Spurs well past the estimated $131 million luxury tax.

Even without Bertans that number is likely going to be several million over the luxury tax then but with significantly less shooting projected on roster than even this season, plus are the Spurs ever actually going to bring over Militinov?

All I'll say is, teams plan ahead years in advance. They knew that, barring a significant injury, Green would opt out. I've got to believe that, when they made the decision last off season that they were moving forward with this core, they had the third most important member of it in their plans.

TheGreatYacht
03-12-2018, 04:10 PM
I hated the Mills signing but giving a 4yr deal to an aging-like-milk player like Green is career suicide. He'll be 31 years old, he's a 3pt specialist with a slightly above league average 3p%, contains all the top players about as well as a revolving door....

You cannot be paying Gasol, Mills, and Green almost half of your cap and expect to contend.

SpursforSix
03-12-2018, 04:16 PM
You cannot be paying Gasol, Mills, and Green almost half of your cap and expect to contend.

Sickening thought

TD 21
03-12-2018, 04:22 PM
I wouldn't go to 4 (fully guaranteed) years with Green, but short of Murray pulling something close to a Leonard relatively soon or them finding a Mitchell type with their 1st, they're not contending either way with this team. If they want to be their best version of it though, they'll need Green. If not, retaining Gasol and Mills will have made even less sense.

rjv
03-12-2018, 04:23 PM
i'd shut down ST and start all over again.

cd021
03-12-2018, 04:57 PM
All I'll say is, teams plan ahead years in advance. They knew that, barring a significant injury, Green would opt out. I've got to believe that, when they made the decision last off season that they were moving forward with this core, they had the third most important member of it in their plans.

Sure, but the writing on the wall seems to be that Green is looking to paid after firing his agent and getting another before hitting FA. He probably is expecting around a 4 year, $50 million, I like Green as much as the next fan but paying him that money-which probably a fair value, seems almost crazy to me this team could essentially look much the same roster wise but could get extremely expensive , with aging parts that aren't easily replaceable when they drop off or retire.

TD 21
03-12-2018, 05:18 PM
Sure, but the writing on the wall seems to be that Green is looking to paid after firing his agent and getting another before hitting FA. He probably is expecting around a 4 year, $50 million, I like Green as much as the next fan but paying him that money-which probably a fair value, seems almost crazy to me this team could essentially look much the same roster wise but could get extremely expensive , with aging parts that aren't easily replaceable when they drop off or retire.

Fair enough, but like I said, they probably have no path to finding a suitable replacement. It's either pay Green (difficult to predict in this market, but I'm skeptical he'll receive 4/$50m) or still have little flexibility, but have Mills, Forbes and White at shooting guard.

If they were prepping for Green's departure in a year, they should have picked Hart instead of White.

gambit1990
03-27-2018, 08:28 PM
don’t resign tony or forbes.

dbestpro
03-27-2018, 08:30 PM
Pop is of no use as a coach as long as Trump is president.

DAF86
03-27-2018, 09:03 PM
Make White the starting PG.

Nathan89
03-27-2018, 09:28 PM
Make White the starting PG.

Definitely. Seems reasonable to surround Kawhi(if he returns) with someone who can shoot. Regardless I want a young player with some potential. He's not that young but his skill base is solid. Murray's skills just seem too raw to ever really develop into a pg to my liking.