PDA

View Full Version : Becky Hammon Emerges as a Top Candidate for Colorado State Men’s Basketball Team

BatManu20
03-07-2018, 11:50 AM
Gimme dat Becky

SAGirl
03-07-2018, 12:05 PM
Wishing her the best.
:bobo

TheGreatYacht
03-07-2018, 12:08 PM
Best coach on our staff, tbh. No one will ever make Fathead an NBA player like she did.

I guess "Yes sir" Udoka & "Switch on every screen" Messina are up next. Good luck, Seattle.

cd98
03-07-2018, 12:15 PM
Best to leave our sinking ship. Why be associated with the Spurs team that failed to make the playoffs for the first time in 20 years?

HarlemHeat37
03-07-2018, 01:44 PM
Sucks, wanted her to coach the team through a rebuild, tbh..a woman coaching the Spurs would be a great look going into the 2020s..

keithington1
03-07-2018, 01:47 PM
I hate to see her go but I love to watch her leave.

rastaspur
03-07-2018, 03:20 PM
I hope she gets the job. That would be a big accomplishment.

r0drig0lac
03-07-2018, 03:40 PM
nice

SpurPadre
03-07-2018, 04:54 PM
TP: "Shit...I've only got a few months to fuck her, tbh."

daslicer
03-07-2018, 04:57 PM
I hope she gets the job. It will be interesting to see how she does as an head coach.

Spurtacular
03-07-2018, 11:01 PM
Could care less if she went; would probably prefer it, tbh.

DenialTwist
03-08-2018, 02:57 AM
I'd rather see her coach the Spurs when Pop retires than Messina, Udoka or Borrego. Hopefully she stays with the Spurs.

Twisted_Dawg
03-08-2018, 06:21 AM
She turned down the HC job at the University of Florida last year. Why would she be interested in the CSU job at a smaller mid-major?

K...
03-08-2018, 10:18 AM
She turned down the HC job at the University of Florida last year. Why would she be interested in the CSU job at a smaller mid-major?

The article is really sad because it's sourced to the school. It's basically trying to guilt her in to signing her Alma matter. It's like a an alumni donation letter published in the paper.

I can't think of any coach who came out better coaching college. It takes a long time to get noticed from a non top 10 school. Her best hope would be to hope another assistant position opens. It would be a bad move to coach college and bail to be an assistant. Much better to just stay as an assistant and move laterally until promoted.

Darth_Pelican
03-08-2018, 11:16 AM

:lol she was offered the WOMEN'S HC job at Florida. This offer is for the MEN'S HC job at CSU. This is a much bigger offer.

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-08-2018, 06:32 PM
I'd pass if I were her. If CSU had a basketball presence that she could restore that would be one thing, CSU is not a basketball school. If it were SDSU or UNLV from the MWC that would be fairly high profile, but she'll shrink into obscurity at CSU.

MannyIsGod
03-08-2018, 06:41 PM
I'd pass if I were her. If CSU had a basketball presence that she could restore that would be one thing, CSU is not a basketball school. If it were SDSU or UNLV from the MWC that would be fairly high profile, but she'll shrink into obscurity at CSU.

I don't think she should take any CBB job. Those jobs are half recruiting half coaching and while I'm sure she is more than capable at recruiting, I have a really tough time not seeing other coaches recruit negatively against her and having success with 18 year old guys.

jyra
03-17-2018, 04:37 PM

Darius Bieber
03-17-2018, 04:39 PM
Probably the smart decision. She has a secure position with the Spurs, why risk it?

Nathan89
03-17-2018, 06:22 PM

That's great news. Head coaching position should be opening up on the Spurs soon. Not sure who the best option is but I prefer an in-house candidate or at least someone that used to be with us.

UZER
03-17-2018, 07:51 PM
That's great news. Head coaching position should be opening up on the Spurs soon. Not sure who the best option is but I prefer an in-house candidate or at least someone that used to be with us.

From Spurs.com: “We are now accepting online applications for the Spurs head coaching position from Spurstalk.com members. Please apply under you username so we can review your posts as part of your resumé.”

tholdren
03-17-2018, 08:19 PM
Probably the smart decision. She has a secure position with the Spurs, why risk it?

Colorado state wants to win. Becky wants to tell them about planets and shit

cd021
03-17-2018, 09:55 PM
Wants to be the first female head coach in NBA history, nothing wrong with that.

Chris
05-06-2018, 07:27 PM

dbestpro
05-06-2018, 07:45 PM
No doubt she can coach, but that's only half the job in college. The real question is will she be able to recruit?

Spurtacular
05-06-2018, 09:06 PM
I hate to see her go but I love to watch her leave.

Good try; but if butch lesbians is your bar, you need to get out more.

exstatic
05-06-2018, 09:14 PM
Good try; but if butch lesbians is your bar, you need to get out more.

I’d actually categorize her as a lipstick lesbian. She dresses very feminine and wears a normal amount of makeup.

Spurtacular
05-06-2018, 09:19 PM
I’d actually categorize her as a lipstick lesbian. She dresses very feminine and wears a normal amount of makeup.

Maybe. She has a lot of man-ish attributes though, tbh.

keithington1
05-06-2018, 10:53 PM
Good try; but if butch lesbians is your bar, you need to get out more. She can get it like Doris Burke can. She's a basketball Gilf

Spurtacular
05-06-2018, 11:26 PM
She can get it like Doris Burke can. She's a basketball Gilf

I ain't touching that.

dabom
05-07-2018, 12:36 AM
She can get it like Doris Burke can. She's a basketball Gilf

Does G stand for granny?

Play Boban
05-07-2018, 01:19 AM
Becky gonna get dat :wow

bklynspursfan
05-11-2018, 08:36 AM

jyra
05-11-2018, 08:45 AM
It's sad this kind of article still needs to be written but good on Pau for speaking up. I loved this bit:

First, I’ve just gotta tell you: If you’re making that argument to anyone who’s actually played any high-level basketball, you’re going to seem really ignorant. But I also have a simple response to it — which is that I’ve been in the NBA for 17 years. I’ve won two championships … I’ve played with some of the best players of this generation … and I’ve played under two of the sharpest minds in the history of sports, in Phil Jackson and Gregg Popovich. And I’m telling you: Becky Hammon can coach. I’m not saying she can coach pretty well. I’m not saying she can coach enough to get by. I’m not saying she can coach almost at the level of the NBA’s male coaches. I’m saying: Becky Hammon can coach NBA basketball. Period.

I’ll tell you a quick story to illustrate my point. This year, in a practice a few months back, I was drilling the pick-and-roll with Dejounte Murray. It was a standard drill, just the two of us alone at one basket: I would set the screen and either pop out for the jumper or roll to the lane. If I popped, Dejounte would hit me with a chest pass. If I rolled, a bounce pass. Like I said, a very standard drill — we’ll do this a million times.

But what I remember about this particular drill is that, at some point during it, Coach Hammon stopped us mid-motion. Coaches Hammon, Borrego and Messina walk over, and Becky says to Dejounte, “D.J., O.K. — your bounce pass? It’s too low. You’ve got to hit Pau exactly where he needs it. Run that again.” We then talk some more as a group about how I need the ball a little more precise, with a little more zip, so I could have a better chance to finish the action at the rim. And then we repeat the drill a few times, alternating from the left and right sides of court. Of course, Dejounte being Dejounte, he figures it out fast — and pretty soon we’re flying through. But something about that moment has just always stuck with me. Just, like … the level of knowledge of the game that Becky showed, you know what I mean?

She noticed a small detail out of the corner of her eye — and then instantly located both the problem and the solution. And not only that, but we were also able to communicate with each other in such a way that we got the result that we needed. It’s a good reminder, I’d say, of the importance of communication between team members — especially at the NBA level. I don’t think I caught another stray pass the rest of the season.

Seventyniner
05-11-2018, 09:27 AM

Great piece. :toast

BackHome
05-11-2018, 02:40 PM
I have to admit I hated the hiring of her but to her credit she has proven me wrong. I watched her coach the summer league and you can tell she has the “ IT” factor. She has done a great job with the young guys and will be missed if she goes to Colorado.

exstatic
05-11-2018, 02:51 PM

I have to admit I hated the hiring of her but to her credit she has proven me wrong. I watched her coach the summer league and you can tell she has the “ IT” factor. She has done a great job with the young guys and will be missed if she goes to Colorado.

This is an old thread that someone dredged up to recycle. She's already turned down the job.

BillMc
05-11-2018, 03:04 PM
Well done, Pau!:bobo

cd98
05-11-2018, 03:22 PM
Eh, I imagine that she will have a tough time getting a head coaching gig, at least in the near future. I'm assuming she has the coaching chops of any assistant or head coach in the NBA, or at least, that she is average. That may not be the case, but it can at least be assumed for the argument. She has other hurdles:

1. I think it's easy for Pau or really any Spur to say that players will respond to a female coach because of the overall progressiveness of the Spurs organization. Not all organizations are like the Spurs. I'd bet there are players out there, in the heat of battle, that may disagree and likely disrespect her because she is a woman. Would DeRozan take a benching from her? NBA players disagree with their male coaches, but I'm not entirely convinced that every male NBA player is not a misogynist, at least in seeing a woman is a head coach in the NBA.

2. The organization that hires her takes on a new level of pressure. If they hire her, she will have pressure to win right away being the first female head coach. If she doesn't win (great coaches also have losing seasons), they'll be stuck with her fearing the backlash of firing her if things don't work out. That means she'll need the right roster and a confident ownership. That limits the options that are out there as most of the teams looking for new head coaches are lottery teams. Maybe she could be a fit for the Raptors? But that would be a lot of pressure to win in the playoffs given their annual choke job.

3. Fans. Becky would have her best chance in San Antonio, where fans know her from her playing days. But other cities will likely be less receptive to a female coach, especially if there team is consistently in the lottery. Front offices don't always listen to fans, but if you are perennially in the lottery and trying to sell tickets, as an organization, you might go with the "safe" pick instead of hiring the first female coach and all the additional risk associated with doing it.

I'm not saying she doesn't have a chance, I just think it might take more time before she gets a legit shot. That's not my commentary on women and their ability to coach at the NBA level and be successful. I'm sure they can. If she was coaching the 2005 Spurs, she probably would be very successful. I just think it's going to take the right organization and team to be a fit for her and unfortunately, most teams are going to be gunning for the "safe" male coach picks. They may interview her, but that doesn't mean they will seriously consider her. Maybe it will take a star player advocating for her before she gets the job. I don't know. It'll be interesting to see.

tholdren
05-11-2018, 07:23 PM
So why isnt pau responding and playing like a soft fat jv player at a d3 college?

Snaq O'Meal
05-12-2018, 01:28 AM
It's sad this kind of article still needs to be written but good on Pau for speaking up. I loved this bit:

First, I’ve just gotta tell you: If you’re making that argument to anyone who’s actually played any high-level basketball, you’re going to seem really ignorant. But I also have a simple response to it — which is that I’ve been in the NBA for 17 years. I’ve won two championships … I’ve played with some of the best players of this generation … and I’ve played under two of the sharpest minds in the history of sports, in Phil Jackson and Gregg Popovich. And I’m telling you: Becky Hammon can coach. I’m not saying she can coach pretty well. I’m not saying she can coach enough to get by. I’m not saying she can coach almost at the level of the NBA’s male coaches. I’m saying: Becky Hammon can coach NBA basketball. Period.

I’ll tell you a quick story to illustrate my point. This year, in a practice a few months back, I was drilling the pick-and-roll with Dejounte Murray. It was a standard drill, just the two of us alone at one basket: I would set the screen and either pop out for the jumper or roll to the lane. If I popped, Dejounte would hit me with a chest pass. If I rolled, a bounce pass. Like I said, a very standard drill — we’ll do this a million times.

But what I remember about this particular drill is that, at some point during it, Coach Hammon stopped us mid-motion. Coaches Hammon, Borrego and Messina walk over, and Becky says to Dejounte, “D.J., O.K. — your bounce pass? It’s too low. You’ve got to hit Pau exactly where he needs it. Run that again.” We then talk some more as a group about how I need the ball a little more precise, with a little more zip, so I could have a better chance to finish the action at the rim. And then we repeat the drill a few times, alternating from the left and right sides of court. Of course, Dejounte being Dejounte, he figures it out fast — and pretty soon we’re flying through. But something about that moment has just always stuck with me. Just, like … the level of knowledge of the game that Becky showed, you know what I mean?

She noticed a small detail out of the corner of her eye — and then instantly located both the problem and the solution. And not only that, but we were also able to communicate with each other in such a way that we got the result that we needed. It’s a good reminder, I’d say, of the importance of communication between team members — especially at the NBA level. I don’t think I caught another stray pass the rest of the season.

So, Becky could spot something that needed fixing but Messina and Borrego couldn’t?

exstatic
05-12-2018, 09:01 AM
So, Becky could spot something that needed fixing but Messina and Borrego couldn’t?

It was a nuance of a PGs game, so, yes, a PG would spot it across the gym. It wouldn’t shock me if Ime, a former NBA player missed that.

tholdren
05-12-2018, 09:26 AM
Shes ugly

SAGirl
05-14-2018, 10:53 AM
It probably deserved like 10 threads... :tu
Sexism still existing specially when it comes to jobs and the female workforce is probably a factor that is not talked about enough, considering all the other race agendas, and other issues. Women are really stigmatized... and judged as incapable of doing the same job... sometimes even better given the specific individual capabilities.

I hope Becky succeeds.

SAGirl
05-14-2018, 10:57 AM

It doesn't even get talked about enough. Sexual harassment gets more media than gender inequality in employment.

cd98
05-14-2018, 02:08 PM
Is Becky really better than the 40 or so other male assistant coaches in the NBA right now? Or even college? I'm not saying she isn't good enough to coach in the NBA, but how do we know she is any better than the men she is competing with or does the fact that she's a woman mean that she should be given preferential treatment? I'm sure she's learning a lot under Pop, but I mean, I'd think the Brad Stevens assistants would be all the rage right now.

tholdren
05-18-2018, 04:41 PM
It doesn't even get talked about enough. Sexual harassment gets more media than gender inequality in employment.

Still sexist. Someone i knew filled out an application and didnt get interview. Changed demographics and used same application and resume and got called for an interview. Just interview the most qualified candidate. There shouldnt be regulations on how many from each ethnicity religion race gender. Depletes talent pool.

cd98
05-18-2018, 05:19 PM
Still sexist. Someone i knew filled out an application and didnt get interview. Changed demographics and used same application and resume and got called for an interview. Just interview the most qualified candidate. There shouldnt be regulations on how many from each ethnicity religion race gender. Depletes talent pool.

Right. It's not like NBA teams look at ethnicity, religion, or race when they are drafting players for their team. They are looking at if they are the best player at that position based on their skill. That should be the universal standard, but it's not, and that is true even when male WASPs get a job because they are WASPs.