PDA

View Full Version : Pop is beyond finished

TD 21
03-09-2018, 01:41 AM
Yeah, another one of these; deal with it.

- Not starting (and barely playing) Gay, when they have no perimeter shot creation and his other top healthy perimeter shot creators are already coming off the bench . . . which means he becomes a bystander when paired with them
- Not playing Ginobili beyond his initial 7 minute stint
- Not going with the steady hand of Parker down the stretch or making many play calls, instead watching his pathetic, jittery perimeter trio fritter the game away
- Inexplicably having Mills defend Thompson even after Curry left, when he could have easily been hid on non entity Cook
- Inexplicably playing Mills the most of any guard again, when he repeatedly proves unplayable vs this team
- Not having Bertans, a tall, quick release shooter in on the last play, instead opting for pint sized Forbes (I know he got a good look, but that doesn't change the rationale)
- Not having Green, his only healthy 3 and D wing, in until the damage had been done or playing him enough in general
- Not doubling Durant in the 4th when it was clear he was going to singlehandedly take the game and they had 2 no brainer candidates to help off of, in Livingston and Green

apalisoc_9
03-09-2018, 01:42 AM
Kawhi deserved back to back mvp. I camt believe that Has been poop face takes all credit. He has the same team last year minus kawhi and ks poised to finish 15 games less than last year.

The arsene wenger of football

MaNu4Tres
03-09-2018, 01:43 AM

- Not starting (and barely playing) Gay, when they have no perimeter shot creation and his other top healthy perimeter shot creators are already coming off the bench . . . which means he becomes a bystander when paired with them
- Not going with the steady hand of Parker down the stretch, instead watching his pathetic, jittery perimeter trio fritter the game away
- Inexplicably having Mills defend Thompson even after Curry left, when he could have easily been hid on non entity Cook
- Inexplicably playing Mills the most of any guard again, when he repeatedly proves unplayable vs this team
- Not having Bertans, a tall, quick release shooter in on the last play, instead opting for pint sized Forbes (I know he got a good look, but that doesn't change the rationale)
- Not having Green, his only healthy 3 and D wing, in until the damage had been done
- Not doubling Durant, when they had 2 no brainer candidates to help off of, in Livingston and Green

The coaching down the stretch since the AS break has been the worst I've seen from any team playing in the NBA.

Atrocious on many levels.

apalisoc_9
03-09-2018, 01:46 AM
The coaching down the stretch since the AS break has been the worst I've seen from any team playing in the NBA.

Atrocious on many levels.

Lol. Its almost like they're tanking.

HarlemHeat37
03-09-2018, 01:47 AM
He's the GOAT, but ya, if this was any other coach in the NBA(other than maybe Stevens or Carlisle), they would be getting killed for these past few weeks of poor coaching and illogical rotations..I can't even imagine the backlash if it was Thibodeau or D'Antoni or Lue or Rivers:lol

cjw
03-09-2018, 01:49 AM
Bertans, Mills and Forbes (66) more minutes than Gay, Green, Parker and Manu combined (62).

Literally playing with trash out there.

ElNono
03-09-2018, 01:56 AM
You don't show your best cards during the regular season, tbh.... CIA Pop

NASpurs
03-09-2018, 01:57 AM
Pop is the true Tank Commander.

spursistan
03-09-2018, 02:13 AM
Been apparent since at least the '15 Clippers series. It is really not a forum joke/shtick or anything.

I think he is completely out of it when it comes to the micro levels of coaching. The feel for the game and attention to details do get compromised with advancing age. Guy is pushing 70 and has admitted to not being totally into basketball.

Unfortunately he's going Riley/Phil Jax way of not knowing when to get out of the league.

Spurs da champs
03-09-2018, 02:20 AM
He's the GOAT, but ya, if this was any other coach in the NBA(other than maybe Stevens or Carlisle), they would be getting killed for these past few weeks of poor coaching and illogical rotations..I can't even imagine the backlash if it was Thibodeau or D'Antoni or Lue or Rivers:lol

Thibbs should be getting backlash, dude has a stud at center that doesn't get any shots.

$pursDynasty
03-09-2018, 02:22 AM
You don't show your best cards during the regular season, tbh.... CIA Pop
Nono I see the blue font, but I can't shake the feeling that Pop has a master plan to take out the Dubs in 5he playoffs but he hasn't been able to use it because of injuries or lack of opportunities. Maybe this year.

DenialTwist
03-09-2018, 04:22 AM
Pop's been making questionable decisions since the 2015 playoffs. If the Spurs miss the playoffs he might actually retire. He is too old for a rebuild and he has 5 rings with nothing else to prove. Plus you can't go far with this roster the way the league is going now.

venitian navigator
03-09-2018, 06:13 AM
The time you decide to tank is the time you have to lose games, no matter what...and looks like that's been the f.o. choice since Kiwhi hs been considered probably out for the season.
If that's true, Pop's work has been remarkable...considering that prior to the news about Kiwhi (when Pop said he was probably out for the season) we were still just some games away from the top.

duncan2k5
03-09-2018, 06:50 AM
We aren't tanking... U guys are giving pop way too much credit... He has been questionable for some time now... There is no way we should have lost to OKC in Duncan's final season... Our issue was rebounding in that series, and he continued to play horrible rebounder heavy minutes... OKC was literally grabbing every miss...

cd021
03-09-2018, 07:50 AM

- Not going with the steady hand of Parker down the stretch or making many play calls, instead watching his pathetic, jittery perimeter trio fritter the game away
- Not having Green, his only healthy 3 and D wing, in until the damage had been done or playing him enough in general
- Not doubling Durant in the 4th when it was clear he was going to singlehandedly take the game and they had 2 no brainer candidates to help off of, in Livingston and Green

Manu did have 3 bad turnovers in seven minutes but point taken.

Thought Parker was definitely solid last night; Parker-Green-Anderson-Bertans-LMA should've been the closing rotation. High screen pick and pop/roll with LMA with Green, and Bertans spacing would've been a better attack than the final five minute offense the Spurs had.

emanueldavidginobili
03-09-2018, 07:57 AM
Gay was literally the ONLY player that can and was creating his own shot. And is no where seen in crunch time. One of the last possessions when everyone passed up an open look and looked scared to shoot it, Rudy Gay is shooting that shot. A lineup with Mills, Murray and KA on the wing in crunch time against this Warriors D did exactly expected. Tony, Rudy or Manu would have been options rather than Patty Mills. It’s jaw dropping it’s blatnatly noticeable that Patty Mills is a problem out there he can’t defend anyone he’s undersized and on the offensive end he’s not hitting his shots literally the only reason he is on the court. Also takes rushed early in the shot clock off balanced shots that almost never go in. Can’t run the offense half the time he struggles to even make an entry pass into the post and shrivels up like a cold scrotum anytime when pressured.

UZER
03-09-2018, 08:04 AM
Bottom line, Patty is the new Bonner. Inexplicably playing major minutes because Pop says so.

benefactor
03-09-2018, 08:24 AM
Yeah, an:cryther :cryne :cryf these; deal with it.

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-09-2018, 08:35 AM
Parker and Gay in the game would have changed the outcome, so perhaps he is losing his mind.

But.... this is the guy who chose to sit Duncan at the end of game 6 in 2013. I guess the senility had already taken hold 5 years ago.

Brazil
03-09-2018, 09:15 AM
:lol I thought GSW would just explode us by 40 pts... and here we are almost there with a team without his mvp

quite encouraging if you ask me but yeah let's create another thread about Pop being finished.. smh

spurs50_
03-09-2018, 09:44 AM
Only 17 more...

Clipper Nation
03-09-2018, 09:47 AM
Doc would get every excuse in the book made for him per par. His "coaching" has been as atrocious as ever all year, and his nepotism with Austin is only getting more brazen, but Media is hyping him up as a Coach of the Year contender :lol

duncan2k5
03-09-2018, 09:48 AM
:lol I thought GSW would just explode us by 40 pts... and here we are almost there with a team without his mvp

quite encouraging if you ask me but yeah let's create another thread about Pop being finished.. smh

They didn't have theirs either

spurs50_
03-09-2018, 09:52 AM
They have four All Stars and lose one two minutes into the game....still not a fair fight, proud of my boys

sasaint
03-09-2018, 10:08 AM

I am not a fan of Pop's, and I agree that his game adjustments have been very questionable for some years now. But looking at your lengthy (and accurate) list causes me to lean toward the "tank scenario," along with venetian navigator. This looks more and more like a tank job. I didn't think Pop had it in him.

superbigtime
03-09-2018, 10:12 AM
Patty Mills is atrocious.

YGWHI
03-09-2018, 10:16 AM
Don't get this. Esp without Curry there.

Dubs didn't have any issue with double-teamed LMA in some possessions, why we couldn't double KD? This seems just stupid.

acoelho1
03-09-2018, 10:17 AM
It’s rediculous to think Pop is throwing games. We were right there and could have won the game. If Kawhi can get back soon enough and playing at an elite level I like our chances. Also, if the Rockets stay at 1, being in the 4 or 5th is not bad. I much rather play the warriors in conference final than the 2nd round. There is a lot of ifs but this season has been a disaster. Let’s hope the ending makes up for it.

Dre_7
03-09-2018, 10:31 AM

LMAO! They are still a cheat code and still had KD, Draymond, and Klay. GTFOH

duncan2k5
03-09-2018, 10:39 AM
LMAO! They are still a cheat code and still had KD, Draymond, and Klay. GTFOH

I know... But u are saying we didn't have Kawhi, as if they were at full strength too... With us both at full strength, we are even... Just like we are even when we both lose our mvps... The difference comes down to coaching... Pop needed to play gay and green in the 4th...Mills belongs nowhere close to a basketball court when the warriors are playing

wildbill2u
03-09-2018, 10:52 AM
Could have won this game with Ginobilli and Parker in at the last to work together. Pop knows that. So he has something else in mind other than winning this particular game.

Either it's:
a. Wants to prove out which younger players have ability and BB mental skills in pressure situations. (Answer is that Anderson, Murray and Forbes choked with TOs and missed shots in last 2 minutes)
b. Knows we can't get into top rung of playoff ladder so saving something for playoffs
c. modified tank job. Too good for lottery but maybe mid range in draft will come up with something
d. Trying to see if Green and Mills can still play this game. I didn't see Green do a damn thing in the 4th. At least Mills was running around and taking shots.
d. all of the above.

spurraider21
03-09-2018, 11:00 AM
It’s almost like this team just needs a closer

coachmac87
03-09-2018, 11:01 AM

So does this team have a chance or not? Or is this roster flawed? Which is is guys?? That’s the thing you fucks bitch and moan about how bad this team is...yet you cry wolf when they lose. Spurs weren’t supposed to win with or without Curry @ GSW but it seems y’all feeel extremely disappointed after a tough game.

You even said yourself you want to see a series against GSW if healthy..but why though? Answer that question honestly...Like if this team sucks and we’re a first round exit you shouldn’t creating these pitty threads..unless you deep down think this team has a “chance”.. you won’t get so worked up about it. You’ve made your point already like I dunno fifty eleven times??

Losing last night sucks..seems this team competes with GSW for stretches very regularly healthy or not..but I’m a homer and you’re just a coward.

Sincerely PATFO Fluffer/Cliche Vanilla Fan

coachmac87
03-09-2018, 11:29 AM
I know... But u are saying we didn't have Kawhi, as if they were at full strength too... With us both at full strength, we are even... Just like we are even when we both lose our mvps... The difference comes down to coaching... Pop needed to play gay and green in the 4th...Mills belongs nowhere close to a basketball court when the warriors are playing

See I can respect this type of criticism..if y’all think we’re “even or just as good” by all means criticize Pop or whoever all day. What’s BS is people all year just cry about how bad the players are and how this team isn’t good enough. It’s very frustrating not knowing the true potential of what a healthy squad can do..which dates back to WCF. But 75% of this board already counted them out..like you don’t have to keep repeating the obvious this team won’t win a damn thing without Kawhi.

rjv
03-09-2018, 11:30 AM
ST head coaching resumes are impeccable.

HarlemHeat37
03-09-2018, 11:48 AM
The moral victory posts are pathetic, tbh:lol

Warriors were missing their most important player + their 2 best bench players, they were forced to play horrible players like Cook and Looney..they were also losing by double-digits in the 4th..sorry, there's no moral victory there..

Obviously missing a closer is the key, but how do you excuse not doubling or adjusting to Durant after he scores on possession after possession? They don't have any other creators on the floor without Curry:lol they had non-shooters like Green and Livingston on the floor, too..

Kerr began doubling Aldridge on every possession and forcing others to beat them, while Pop just watched the Warriors run the same action every time down, screening off Anderson with no help or adjustments..

Offensively, once it's evident that the Spurs are struggling to create quality looks, why wouldn't Parker or Gay enter the game? This wasn't an anomaly, this was the 3rd blown double-digit 4th quarter lead in the past 8 games, he already knows this closing lineup doesn't work..

Brazil
03-09-2018, 12:28 PM

yeah losing steph curry when you still have durant draymond and klay is comparable to losing kawhi when you have murray lma and patty freaking mills... smh

Brazil
03-09-2018, 12:37 PM

Warriors were missing their most important player + their 2 best bench players, they were forced to play horrible players like Cook and Looney..they were also losing by double-digits in the 4th..sorry, there's no moral victory there..

Obviously missing a closer is the key, but how do you excuse not doubling or adjusting to Durant after he scores on possession after possession? They don't have any other creators on the floor without Curry:lol they had non-shooters like Green and Livingston on the floor, too..

Kerr began doubling Aldridge on every possession and forcing others to beat them, while Pop just watched the Warriors run the same action every time down, screening off Anderson with no help or adjustments..

Offensively, once it's evident that the Spurs are struggling to create quality looks, why wouldn't Parker or Gay enter the game? This wasn't an anomaly, this was the 3rd blown double-digit 4th quarter lead in the past 8 games, he already knows this closing lineup doesn't work..

brah calling a coach beyond finished because of last 3 mn meltdown on a game we lost by 20 on paper (50 if Curry had to play an entire game) is a bit of exaggeration no ? Besides I hope you don't compare the weight for the Spurs not having Kawhi with dubs losing one of their 4 top 10 players of the league right ?

and this has nothing to do with moral victory.

Spurs played some good bb for most of the game thats pretty encouraging considering this uter shit season

SAGirl
03-09-2018, 12:43 PM
Manu did have 3 bad turnovers in seven minutes but point taken.

Thought Parker was definitely solid last night; Parker-Green-Anderson-Bertans-LMA should've been the closing rotation. High screen pick and pop/roll with LMA with Green, and Bertans spacing would've been a better attack than the final five minute offense the Spurs had.
For Manu it wasn’t just the 3 TO in 6 minutes... had that continued he was on pace to outdo himself in the nefast game 6 against the Heat. He’s 40 and if he’s having a bad game if that nature it’s fine and actually better if he sits. But no, it wasn’t just the TO, he couldn’t guard anyone either. I know he has some fans with rose tinted glasses but be honest fans, Manu wasn’t going to save that game.

Tony was solid and could have played more and Gay (if he wasn’t on minutes restrictions) should have closed the game too. Not sure what’s going on. Pop also didn’t adjust his defense to Durant sending a double or help.

SAGirl
03-09-2018, 12:53 PM
Surprisingly good take. :tu

UZER
03-09-2018, 12:59 PM

Pfft. Thanks Mr Armchair.

:pop:

SAGirl
03-09-2018, 12:59 PM

It’s inexplicable... one thinks stealthy tank job bc it’s better to think that’s what it was than Pop is losing his marbles.

baseline bum
03-09-2018, 01:11 PM
This Spurs team is just borderline unwatchable because you know Mills is always going to get minutes. When 50 hit that early three I thought fuck me, now Pop is going to play him even more minutes than usual. I used to love this guy, he was one of my favorite Spurs players back when he was in shape. But now he doesn't give a shit. Signing him to that deal last summer is like if Pop would have given the corpse of Steve Smith the huge extension he was clamoring for in the summer of 2002.

spurraider21
03-09-2018, 01:17 PM
kawhi is more important to the spurs right now than either one of curry/KD to the warriors, since we don't have a second elite player. the spurs have choked away so many games in the 4th quarter in the last couple months because we don't have a capable closer.

spurraider21
03-09-2018, 01:20 PM
This Spurs team is just borderline unwatchable because you know Mills is always going to get minutes. When 50 hit that early three I thought fuck me, now Pop is going to play him even more minutes than usual. I used to love this guy, he was one of my favorite Spurs players back when he was in shape. But now he doesn't give a shit. Signing him to that deal last summer is like if Pop would have given the corpse of Steve Smith the huge extension he was clamoring for in the summer of 2002.
its not a question of what kind of shape he's in, or even how well he plays on a given night. we loved him when his role was more limited. in our championship year he averaged like 19 mpg (15.5 in the playoffs, 15.2 in the finals)

he's playing a career high in minutes per game, and is averaging over 30 since the all star break

Nathan89
03-09-2018, 01:20 PM

Spurs aren't even close to even with GSW. If we were then that would be factoring in a huge coaching advantage for us because they have a massive talent advantage.

Proxy
03-09-2018, 01:22 PM
https://i.imgur.com/DtXCR0k.png

JuneJive
03-09-2018, 01:32 PM
Sure, Pop could've / should've been on his A game, but knowing him, why would he come at them with all the possibilities he knows and keeps hidden. No Kawhi, no proper game plan.

baseline bum
03-09-2018, 01:41 PM
its not a question of what kind of shape he's in, or even how well he plays on a given night. we loved him when his role was more limited. in our championship year he averaged like 19 mpg (15.5 in the playoffs, 15.2 in the finals)

he's playing a career high in minutes per game, and is averaging over 30 since the all star break

I completely disagree. He was fat back in 2013 too and was crap in limited minutes. He came in great shape in 2014 and earned Corey Joseph's spot in the rotation because of it. That Mills would have been great in 25 minutes a night.

spurraider21
03-09-2018, 01:44 PM
I completely disagree. He was fat back in 2013 too and was crap in limited minutes. He came in great shape in 2014 and earned Corey Joseph's spot in the rotation because of it. That Mills would have been great in 25 minutes a night.
i dont see it... even in 2014 in "great shape" we loved him in his 15 mpg playoff role

spurraider21
03-09-2018, 01:48 PM
https://i.imgur.com/DtXCR0k.png
thats a pretty cool graphic tbh

interesting that our bench was so crappy the first time out and yet very effective in the 2nd half

HarlemHeat37
03-09-2018, 01:53 PM
brah calling a coach beyond finished because of last 3 mn meltdown on a game we lost by 20 on paper (50 if Curry had to play an entire game) is a bit of exaggeration no ? Besides I hope you don't compare the weight for the Spurs not having Kawhi with dubs losing one of their 4 top 10 players of the league right ?

and this has nothing to do with moral victory.

Spurs played some good bb for most of the game thats pretty encouraging considering this uter shit season

Spurs were live favorites to win in the 4th, they had a double-digit lead with 4 minutes left, all expectations prior to that are irrelevant..

If any other coach coached that way down the stretch, they would be getting killed all over the mainstream media today..even Charles Barkley(the 2nd worst analyst in the media behind Shaq) questioned the obvious flaws in the Durant strategy after the game:lol

Hoops Czar
03-09-2018, 02:09 PM

This acronym gets abused so much, it's pretty much lost all meaning.

r0drig0lac
03-09-2018, 02:09 PM

this...

and Mills sucks

Hoops Czar
03-09-2018, 02:11 PM
Unfortunately he's going Riley/Phil Jax way of not knowing when to get out of the league.

Arsene Wenger 2.0. He doesn't even realize he's hurting the team.

TimDunkem
03-09-2018, 02:19 PM
Continuing to run bad lineups that can't score and you're choosing to sit Parker, who was playing well, and Gay, whose strength is scoring is bad coaching.

When you see that a guy like Durant is going apeshit on you and you fail to get the ball out of his hands, then that is bad coaching.

Bad coaching is bad coaching.

HarlemHeat37
03-09-2018, 02:21 PM
Also, let's not act like Pop didn't build this illogical roster:lol

If Kawhi had played this season, the Spurs would easily be the 3rd seed and way ahead of the 4th team, I have little doubt about that..however, that doesn't excuse the roster construction, since the goal is to win a title..

Everybody has already addressed the primary flaws of the roster, but the lack of shooting is another one..

Their best shooter is Danny Green at 38.2%..that's a fine %, but not when it's the best on a team that shoots 3s at low volume(the Rockets' best shooters are also at 38%, but their volume is extreme)..how can 3-point specialists(players who don't play defense nor rebound) like Forbes and Bertans be in a playoff team's rotation while shooting 37% and under?

Shooters or attackers should be the choice..if you can't play defense nor rebound, you better be shooting a high 3-point % or getting to the rim, tbh..

Dre_7
03-09-2018, 02:24 PM
I know... But u are saying we didn't have Kawhi, as if they were at full strength too... With us both at full strength, we are even... Just like we are even when we both lose our mvps...

No, I wasn't saying it like they were at full strength :lol. You need to re-read what I wrote because I never once said that. My point was about them without Steph vs us without Kawhi. They still have an MVP when Steph is out. Warriors without Steph are still a great team with 3 all stars, an MVP, and a DPOY. Us without Kawhi aren't nearly as good as them without Steph.

The difference comes down to coaching...

No, the difference was former MVP and finals MVP Kevin Durant. He took over late in the 4th and we didn't have an answer because our only MVP was out.

HarlemHeat37
03-09-2018, 02:26 PM
No, I wasn't saying it like they were at full strength :lol. You need to re-read what I wrote because I never once said that. My point was about them without Steph vs us without Kawhi. They still have an MVP when Steph is out. Warriors without Steph are still a great team with 3 all stars, an MVP, and a DPOY. Us without Kawhi aren't nearly as good as them without Steph.

No, the difference was former MVP and finals MVP Kevin Durant. He took over late in the 4th and we didn't have an answer because our only MVP was out.

Why didn't they try to take the ball out of his hands?

You sound like Jeff McDonald, tbh.."Pop has made enough good adjustments in his career, let the other teams have a turn making them now"..

TimDunkem
03-09-2018, 02:34 PM
Also, let's not act like Pop didn't build this illogical roster:lol

If Kawhi had played this season, the Spurs would easily be the 3rd seed and way ahead of the 4th team, I have little doubt about that..however, that doesn't excuse the roster construction, since the goal is to win a title..

Everybody has already addressed the primary flaws of the roster, but the lack of shooting is another one..

Their best shooter is Danny Green at 38.2%..that's a fine %, but not when it's the best on a team that shoots 3s at low volume(the Rockets' best shooters are also at 38%, but their volume is extreme)..how can 3-point specialists(players who don't play defense nor rebound) like Forbes and Bertans be in a playoff team's rotation while shooting 37% and under?

That's only what me and others have been saying since last summer, but we're called spoiled, fake fans. :lol

You don't sign one-dimensional, no defense playing, non-shooters to cap eating deals because of culture. You probably shouldn't give 48 million to the corpse of Gasol who can't play against your biggest rivals. Relying on midgets like Forbes, and fringe NBA players at best like Joffrey is not going to get you far. Catering to me first players like Aldridge and making him the 1B to Leonard, and structuring an antiquated offense around his inefficient, post-up, mid-range fadeaway game isn't likely the best idea. Relying on mummies to play major minutes is a poor idea. Signing a guy coming off an injury like Gay, yet not even effectively using him when he is healthy was pointless....And I could go on, and on, and on.

Kawhi is so good he can single-handedly give you a shot with a deeper team in 2017, and can make you arguably the second best team in 2018 if he gets healthy, but there were clear areas where Pop could have improved this roster and he chose familiarity and "culture" (low energy yes men who are okay with being benched to play mummies, and sent to the doghouse for expressing themselves) over giving this team the best chance to win it all.

Now we find ourselves likely falling out of the playoff race. Yes, if Kawhi is healthy, we don't slip so far. Fact is, he isn't, and we are. A slight roster shakeup here or there would've mitigated things.

This is on Poop.

Dre_7
03-09-2018, 02:39 PM
Why didn't they try to take the ball out of his hands?

They did try, and were unsuccessful.

You sound like Jeff McDonald, tbh.."Pop has made enough good adjustments in his career, let the other teams have a turn making them now"..

So because I know that the Warriors without Steph are better than the Spurs without Kawhi that means I sound like Jeff McDonald? Sorry, I don't care who our coach is, the Spurs without Kawhi aren't better than the Warriors without Steph. That doesn't mean I "want to let other teams have a turn now." No, I want the Spurs to make the playoffs, get fully healthy, and try and win a title.

Brazil
03-09-2018, 02:40 PM
Spurs were live favorites to win in the 4th, they had a double-digit lead with 4 minutes left, all expectations prior to that are irrelevant..

If any other coach coached that way down the stretch, they would be getting killed all over the mainstream media today..even Charles Barkley(the 2nd worst analyst in the media behind Shaq) questioned the obvious flaws in the Durant strategy after the game:lol

I don't deny the shit that happened last 4 mn I'm just pointing out that we played 44 mn of solid ball and that it was a pleasant surprise we did not lose by 20... was anticipating the worst tbh...

all in all its not a bad week for the Spurs, Kawhi comeback seems a possibility, he finally spoke and calmed down rumors and we actually competed with the Dubs before true collapsing down the stretch

keithington1
03-09-2018, 02:41 PM
I hate BP3. If he gets no minutes why is he on the team? Forbes sucks too. Can't hit free throws. Always looking flustered. White is nba ready similar to Brogdon. He looks like a playmaking Danny Green out there.

gambit1990
03-09-2018, 02:43 PM
white should’ve been on the court instead of mills/parker/forbes.

TD 21
03-09-2018, 04:43 PM
Preach, Harlem.

:lmao You apologists never cease to amaze. Coaching is all about putting your team in the best possible position to succeed. Had Pop done all the logical things he should have and they still lost, then I'd primarily pin the blame on Leonard's injury and this incompetent perimeter corpse. Instead, he did everything possible to contribute to their own demise, when they already had zero margin for error to begin with.

Proxy
03-09-2018, 05:04 PM
pop is beyond finished, worst coaching performance in the league so far, a complete idiot, how does this guy have a job, omfg i can't take it anymore https://i.ytimg.com/vi/dMmDMH8EUck/maxresdefault.jpg

duncan2k5
03-09-2018, 05:46 PM

Brothers, listen... U made the point that we almost beat them and we didn't even have Kawhi... That's not a good point to make when THEY also didn't have THEIR best player...

LittleCriminal
03-09-2018, 06:04 PM
https://i.imgur.com/ZPFcffq.gif

DieHardSpursFan1537
03-09-2018, 06:12 PM
:pop: I might just get the hell out of here and make a run for the White House.

SAGirl
03-09-2018, 06:31 PM

duncan2k5
03-09-2018, 06:35 PM

Agree 100%

DMC
03-09-2018, 07:04 PM
:lol Pop is experimenting. He's not going to push too hard to field a contender when he simply doesn't have a contender to field. It doesn't matter if we finish 2nd or 8th in the West. We aren't going anywhere and no one will give 2 shits next year who finished where this year.

DMC
03-09-2018, 07:06 PM

Manu in the back "Obviamente"

Dex
03-09-2018, 07:20 PM

Not disagreeing that this lineup would've been better on the floor to close the game, but those starts are kinda misleading with that small of a sample size.

tholdren
03-09-2018, 07:55 PM
Not disagreeing that this lineup would've been better on the floor to close the game, but those starts are kinda misleading with that small of a sample size.

That guy is an idiot.

paperboy77
03-09-2018, 10:29 PM
Just For a comparison, Pels who are a very hot team just got thrashed by the Wiz. Why? No AD! Spurs have a great supporting cast for KL. As fans we are frustrated but we realy do have a great team that’s missing the star player. Hope he comes back this year... no point in saving him... tomorrow is not guaranteed.

SAGirl
03-09-2018, 11:05 PM
Just For a comparison, Pels who are a very hot team just got thrashed by the Wiz. Why? No AD! Spurs have a great supporting cast for KL. As fans we are frustrated but we realy do have a great team that’s missing the star player. Hope he comes back this year... no point in saving him... tomorrow is not guaranteed.
:bobo

r0drig0lac
03-10-2018, 06:18 AM

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif

HarlemHeat37
03-13-2018, 12:10 AM
I know it's a running joke on this forum among some posters and I'm sure it can be refuted by some research, but doesn't it seem legit that Popovich really puts on an act during these National TV games?

Calling timeouts after 10 seconds of action, hockey substitutions, yelling at players after a timeout, the sideline reporter shtick, etc..have to put on an act for the casuals and mainstream media:lol

UZER
03-13-2018, 06:16 AM
I know it's a running joke on this forum among some posters and I'm sure it can be refuted by some research, but doesn't it seem legit that Popovich really puts on an act during these National TV games?

Calling timeouts after 10 seconds of action, hockey substitutions, yelling at players after a timeout, the sideline reporter shtick, etc..have to put on an act for the casuals and mainstream media:lol

Of course dude. I keep telling people on here it’s an act. But but but look how mad he was because he was yelling :cry. Please. He doesn’t give two shits about it anymore. I mean, the guy literally says “it’s just basketball” over and over. The guy has literally said, “new planets were discovered.”

He doesn’t have it in him anymore. He is done. I can’t wait for the guy retire. And I don’t want him in the FO office either.

duncan2k5
03-13-2018, 12:10 PM
Of course dude. I keep telling people on here it’s an act. But but but look how mad he was because he was yelling :cry. Please. He doesn’t give two shits about it anymore. I mean, the guy literally says “it’s just basketball” over and over. The guy has literally said, “new planets were discovered.”

He doesn’t have it in him anymore. He is done. I can’t wait for the guy retire. And I don’t want him in the FO office either.

We definitely need young blood... I think the current NBA has passed him, and he is too stubborn to change (Phil Jackson anyone?)

TD 21
03-13-2018, 04:04 PM
Yeah, I've been saying for a while, that Pop has become a caricature of himself and he definitely forces his shtick on national TV. He knows the coverage of the Spurs is that of a college team, where the coach is the star. Considering they have an MVP candidate and another All-Star, it's disgusting and part of the reason why so many players, most notably the majority of the top ones, clearly don't want to play here.

What's worse, is players past and present alike, regurgitating this played out media narrative of "this being one of his best coaching jobs" and "him being able to take any 5 guys and make them good". Not only is that bullshit and they know it, but it's incredibly disrespectful to the great players he's had the pleasure of coaching throughout his career.

james evans
03-13-2018, 09:01 PM
We definitely need young blood... I think the current NBA has passed him, and he is too stubborn to change (Phil Jackson anyone?)
yep, he's still putting slow ass 7 footers out there on the regular. This isn't 1999 or the early 2000s.

daslicer
03-13-2018, 09:23 PM
Yeah, I've been saying for a while, that Pop has become a caricature of himself and he definitely forces his shtick on national TV. He knows the coverage of the Spurs is that of a college team, where the coach is the star. Considering they have an MVP candidate and another All-Star, it's disgusting and part of the reason why so many players, most notably the majority of the top ones, clearly don't want to play here.

What's worse, is players past and present alike, regurgitating this played out media narrative of "this being one of his best coaching jobs" and "him being able to take any 5 guys and make them good". Not only is that bullshit and they know it, but it's incredibly disrespectful to the great players he's had the pleasure of coaching throughout his career.

I feel Duncan's legacy suffers the most disrespect from this media narrative. I have argued with idiots on realgm and reddit who feel Duncan was only great because he played for Pop or that he would not have been a winner had he not played for Pop.

SAGirl
03-16-2018, 11:52 AM

TD 21
03-25-2018, 09:44 PM
- Going with Forbes over Bertans as the 10th man, against a team loaded with big wings
- When they went to that gigantic lineup, inexplicably keeping his micro lineup in, with Mills defending Middleton!
- Final possession of a quarter, he goes without Murray/Parker, which obviously makes sense for spacing, but then leaves Gay in over Bertans
- Continuing to play Mills 30+ minutes, yet almost always keeping Green below that threshold, even when he's far better suited for the match-up and outshooting the former
- Despite the run they made, going big down the stretch and playing hi-lo, yet making it more difficult by saddling them with 2 of the worst shooters in the league
- Not calling timeout on the final play. I know they can't create, so he didn't want to play against a set defense, but they could have saved time getting it over midcourt, subbed out Murray and got another shooter in the game

dbestpro
03-25-2018, 10:52 PM
Pop excels at drawing up the play. Pop always relied on his assistants to cover his weakness which was player rotations. Pop does not listen to anyone anymore and has just gotten too full of himself to the point he is his own worse enemy. He is mentally weak, and that weakness has become contagious among the Spurs.

UZER
03-25-2018, 11:49 PM
Pop excels at drawing up the play. Pop always relied on his assistants to cover his weakness which was player rotations. Pop does not listen to anyone anymore and has just gotten too full of himself to the point he is his own worse enemy. He is mentally weak, and that weakness has become contagious among the Spurs.

He listens to his notecards.

pgardn
03-25-2018, 11:54 PM
So who replaces Pop?

This is where the but... But.... But....

Find the hottest relatively young college guy (Brad Stevens?) the pro guy who is established (Brad Stevens) From our own Bunch?

UZER
03-26-2018, 01:11 AM
So who replaces Pop?

This is where the but... But.... But....

Find the hottest relatively young college guy (Brad Stevens?) the pro guy who is established (Brad Stevens) From our own Bunch?

This argument is so lame. Pop is pushing 70. You’re not replacing an in-his-prime guy. It’s obvious, the guy just doesn’t give a fuck anymore. Not saying hes trying to lose, but he is not the same Pop. He had a all star free agent that asked to be traded. He’s got a superstar to 5 league MVP who’s in no hurry to come back and play for him. When has that ever happened in Pops tenure? Players can feel when a coach is just going through the motions. Winning and losing doesn’t matter as much. And that’s fine, but at some point it’s time for a change.

Besides, who was Pop before he replaced Bob Hill. The man almost got fired and he had Tim Duncan!!

daslicer
03-26-2018, 01:20 AM
This argument is so lame. Pop is pushing 70. You’re not replacing an in-his-prime guy. It’s obvious, the guy just doesn’t give a fuck anymore. Not saying hes trying to lose, but he is not the same Pop. He had a all star free agent that asked to be traded. He’s got a superstar to 5 league MVP who’s in no hurry to come back and play for him. When has that ever happened in Pops tenure? Players can feel when a coach is just going through the motions. Winning and losing doesn’t matter as much. And that’s fine, but at some point it’s time for a change.

Besides, who was Pop before he replaced Bob Hill. The man almost got fired and he had Tim Duncan!!

Pop to me has just lost the fire and competitiveness he once had. Last year his delayed reaction in the WCF towards Zaza's cheap shot really showed it to me. Him being buddy buddy with Kerr and Mike Brown during that series despite getting his ass kicked to me was a sign that the fire is no longer there.

Brunodf
03-26-2018, 01:43 AM
Coach Bud isn't in good terms with the new Hawks management. .. He's the perfect coach for this new generation. ..

r0drig0lac
03-26-2018, 06:41 AM

nice post

hater
03-26-2018, 08:01 AM
Everyone gets old Pop is old as dirt.

Its pretty damn simple

DMC
03-26-2018, 08:48 AM
Bud is too soft, not even half the coach Pop is. I think Pop retires soon. They wont release him.

elbamba
03-26-2018, 10:14 AM
I think Pop goes one more season and then transitions to full time team president and they hire a new coach. I just hope it is not Messina.

spurraider21
03-26-2018, 12:47 PM
when did pop almost get fired while having tim duncan?

Russ
03-26-2018, 12:52 PM
when did pop almost get fired while having tim duncan?

The '99 team started out badly after that strike-shortened season commenced.

Rumors were rampant . . .

spurraider21
03-26-2018, 12:58 PM
The '99 team started out badly after that strike-shortened season commenced.

Rumors were rampant . . .
so to criticize pop, we're pointing out a segment of a season where we wound up winning our first championship in franchise history?

baseline bum
03-26-2018, 01:02 PM
so to criticize pop, we're pointing out a segment of a season where we wound up winning our first championship in franchise history?

True, but he was pretty near getting fired after that embarrassing loss to Utah on national TV. Coc was the likely replacement and that huge win in Houston was likely what saved Pop's job. Well that and the huge tear they finished the season on beginning with that win in Houston.

UZER
03-26-2018, 01:03 PM

That is so way off base and you know it. :lol

TimDunkem
03-26-2018, 01:05 PM
Who gives a shit about 1999? The man has had a hand in more loses this season than wins not just because of mediocre coaching, but because of the shitty roster he assembled.

Thank LMA that this team isn't a bottom feeder right now.

SAGirl
03-26-2018, 01:16 PM
well... proof Pop really isn't as sharp as he used to be.

SAGirl
03-26-2018, 01:18 PM
Who gives a shit about 1999? The man has had a hand in more loses this season than wins not just because of mediocre coaching, but because of the shitty roster he assembled.

Thank LMA that this team isn't a bottom feeder right now.
Pop has had his hand in a few losses....
but ... I don't know how this guy came up with these stats... he might be a Lebron and Westbrook fluffer for all I know...

TDTPMG21920
04-04-2018, 12:29 AM
Bump

weeks
04-04-2018, 01:06 AM
Owned by daddy rivers yet again. How embarrassing.
It's time to take him out back.

Of course the commentators were fondling his nuts all night, raving about his great job keeping the team in the playoffs..like Aldridge is just another shitty system player.. Media can't suck him off hard enough, no wonder players don't want to play under that shadow

Hoops Czar
04-04-2018, 01:13 AM
Owned by daddy rivers yet again. How embarrassing.
It's time to take him out back.

Of course the commentators were fondling his nuts all night, raving about his great job keeping the team in the playoffs..like Aldridge is just another shitty system player.. Media can't suck him off hard enough, no wonder players don't want to play under that shadow

And Paddy got cucked by little diddy Rivers. like father, like Chia Pet.

spursistan
04-04-2018, 01:24 AM
He's been brutal this year more than usual. This team is getting outcoached on the regular in closing time and it has less to do with lack of talent/closers. (look at the Celtics last month to see the difference)..

Pop is lowkey one of the worst last minute coaches in the entire NBA nowadays and wasn't really much of good practitioner even when he had prime Big 3..

Hoops Czar
04-04-2018, 01:28 AM
He's been brutal this year more than usual. This team is getting outcoached on the regular in closing time and it has less to do with lack of talent/closers. (look at the Celtics last month to see the difference)..

Pop is lowkey one of the worst last minute coaches in the entire NBA nowadays and wasn't really much of good practitioner even when he had prime Big 3..

He was just as bad last year and the year before. The Spurs just had more talent to hide all of his inefficiencies. He's been one of the worst last minute coaches for years.

Brunodf
04-04-2018, 08:19 AM
2 time outs to 0 , 29 seconds left and he allowed the team to burn the whole clock to make a (bad)play :bang

TD 21
04-05-2018, 05:40 PM
- Continuing to allow this archaic bunch to fire mid rangers at will. How they haven't figured out that they need to increase their variance by turning many of these into 3's, is beyond me.
- Continuing to close games with 2 non shooters, who can't break down the defense either. How difficult is it to split them? The 76ers do this with Simmons and Fultz, 2 far better prospects.
- Compounding this by having non creator Mills attempt to run P-n-R late, while these 2 non shooters play off ball, leading to the paint being clogged.

TD 21
04-14-2018, 03:53 PM
- Forbes guarding Durant for 4 possessions has got to be the dumbest coaching decision I've ever seen.
- Playing midget guards galore when they're only playing 1 and he's been moved to the bench and inexplicably continuing to play Mills massive minutes vs this team.
- Repeatedly making panicky, damn near hockey like line changes, when it was obvious what the rotation should have been coming in.
- Taking a half into game 1 of the playoffs to do what he should have did from game 1 of the season: start Gay and have him run more P-n-R.

exstatic
04-14-2018, 04:01 PM
- Continuing to allow this archaic bunch to fire mid rangers at will. How they haven't figured out that they need to increase their variance by turning many of these into 3's, is beyond me.
- Continuing to close games with 2 non shooters, who can't break down the defense either. How difficult is it to split them? The 76ers do this with Simmons and Fultz, 2 far better prospects.
- Compounding this by having non creator Mills attempt to run P-n-R late, while these 2 non shooters play off ball, leading to the paint being clogged.

Spurs are like 24th in 3G%, so, maybe not so much.

HarlemHeat37
04-14-2018, 04:02 PM
We'll see if he makes adjustments..Spurs weren't going to win a road game anyways, the goal is to win 1 at home and call it a season:lol

Aldridge should be better in game 2, I would hope..

They aren't even guarding Tony Parker, he can't play another second..

TD 21
04-14-2018, 04:06 PM
- Again, not trapping Durant; as if he enjoys watching this puke destroy them repeatedly
- Not pressing their non PG lineup 94 feet, in the hopes of either speeding them up or forcing turnovers

Of course they weren't going to win no matter what he does, but that's besides the point. He still needs to provide them with the best possible chance.

Aldridge was due for regression to the mean. It started 2 games ago. He held on just long enough, along with the help of Ginobili at the end, to get them across the finish line.

Dverde
04-15-2018, 11:40 AM
http://www.slamonline.com/nba/mike-budenholzer-granted-permission-interview-suns/

Spurs should save Coach Bud from that Suns owner and bring him back as head coach. Move Poop to front office/special advisor role.

DaBears
04-15-2018, 11:44 AM
He was just as bad last year and the year before. The Spurs just had more talent to hide all of his inefficiencies. He's been one of the worst last minute coaches for years.

Please remind us all again, why is it we hear the announcers on the reg say “ that was a great play called out of the timeout by the Spurs & Coach Popovich “ Remind us again.......

HarlemHeat37
04-15-2018, 12:43 PM
Please remind us all again, why is it we hear the announcers on the reg say “ that was a great play called out of the timeout by the Spurs & Coach Popovich “ Remind us again.......

I don't think I've heard that all season:lol

I don't know about this season or last season, but the Spurs ranked 10th and 12th in 2015 and 2016 in PP/100 out of timeouts, nothing special..

Hoops Czar
04-15-2018, 12:56 PM

Because they don't get paid to bad mouth a 5 time NBA champion coach in the same way they don't bad mouth Tony Parker when he's on the floor. Coaches, like players have a prime and Pop is way past his. He's basically turned into Arsene Wenger 2.0 yet the media personalities still treat him with kid gloves. Don't even get me started on his sanctimonious pre and postgame press conferences where he's just plain obnoxious, rude and condescending unless he's talking politics.

SouthTexasRancher
04-16-2018, 06:18 AM
Coach Popabitch definitely has some serious mental issues. He is a very angry man who may be having problems at home but, most likely as you can see in his eyes, he is in the early stages of being senile (possibly Alzheimer's) and/or Dementia. His decisions both on the court and off have sometimes been appalling to say the least. He needs to retire as the game has whizzed by him and his feeble, ego driven brain doesn't realize it. He has never gotten over himself. It's time, Pop.

Atl Spur
04-16-2018, 07:01 AM
Coach Popabitch definitely has some serious mental issues. He is a very angry man who may be having problems at home but, most likely as you can see in his eyes, he is in the early stages of being senile (possibly Alzheimer's) and/or Dementia. His decisions both on the court and off have sometimes been appalling to say the least. He needs to retire as the game has whizzed by him and his feeble, ego driven brain doesn't realize it. He has never gotten over himself. It's time, Pop.

Wow........just Wow!! Sir you may need some help!

poop
04-16-2018, 12:48 PM

Yep. He routinely got outcoached by opposing coaches and made idiotic lineup blunders for many, many years now. Seems like more people are finally catching on..