PDA

View Full Version : RIP Stephen Hawking

baseline bum
03-13-2018, 11:12 PM

RIP. A Brief History of Time is probably the greatest popular science book ever written.

pgardn
03-13-2018, 11:20 PM
Damn.

He lived a long time with that condition.
Had no idea he was that old.

monosylab1k
03-13-2018, 11:23 PM
RIP, his greatest accomplishment was being part of an all time classic meme.

https://static3.fjcdn.com/comments/Blank+_01db6c4b52ee4c9ca2c41bf768c49f00.jpg

baseline bum
03-13-2018, 11:25 PM

Well there was also Hawking Radiation from black holes.

TE
03-13-2018, 11:41 PM
If anyone knew how to outlive a progressively debilitating disease and still be able to inspire young folks in the wonders of our universe, look no further.

RIP

SnakeBoy
03-14-2018, 12:59 AM
RIP

May he fertilize well

DMC
03-14-2018, 08:32 AM
would be interesting to know his mind instead of seeing him as we did aesthetically.

spurraider21
03-14-2018, 11:15 AM
RIP

May he fertilize well
i get it.

because stupid atheists

Chucho
03-14-2018, 12:08 PM
i get it.

because stupid atheists

Or, maybe he's proactive in campaigning for starving worms. Don't be an assumptive dick.

Chinook
03-14-2018, 02:51 PM
RIP. Amazing he held on for so long.

koriwhat
03-14-2018, 03:48 PM
he was no tesla... rip though.

johnsmith
03-16-2018, 06:23 AM
he was no tesla... rip though.

Could you explain some of Hawkings ideas and why they’re inferior to Tesla?

Xevious
03-16-2018, 03:09 PM
RIP

Incredible he lived as long as he did. I read about his latest voice machine and how it operated primarily on cheek twitches and still am unsure how it seemed to work as seemlessly as it did.

vy65
03-16-2018, 03:13 PM

This. What an awkward and stupid comparison. He probably just watched the Prestige or something.

Monostradamus
03-16-2018, 04:33 PM
This. What an awkward and stupid comparison. He probably just watched the Prestige or something.

:lmao the fact that this is completely believable is the best part.

spurraider21
03-16-2018, 05:05 PM

:lmao the fact that this is completely believable is the best part.
in before:

LMAO i didnt watch prestige, i dont care about libtard hollywood stuff, keep projecting fags!

vy65
03-16-2018, 05:18 PM
The problem with Stephen Hawking is that he's not David Bowie

johnsmith
03-16-2018, 06:13 PM
The problem with Stephen Hawking is that he's not David Bowie

Lol!

koriwhat
03-16-2018, 07:17 PM

i can explain why i like tesla more tbh. wasn't big into mr. hotwheels. you like your wireless shit, your AC that runs through your apt/house, etc? i'm into electronics man so tesla resonates with me more so than hawkings.

koriwhat
03-16-2018, 07:19 PM
in before:

LMAO i didnt watch prestige, i dont care about libtard hollywood stuff, keep projecting fags!

i never have watched it but the next time you sort 1000 resistors by color code like i did 2 nights ago you can ask me whatever you'd like about electronics. dipshits like you move the needle in the opposite direction wannabe cool guy.

koriwhat
03-16-2018, 07:22 PM

btw i never compared tesla to hawkings at all so wtf are you yapping about in the first place? the sissy boy nerd bullies are out and about again on ST.

vy65
03-16-2018, 07:30 PM
btw i never compared tesla to hawkings at all so wtf are you yapping about in the first place? the sissy boy nerd bullies are out and about again on ST.

Hawking. Can you explain one of the concepts he developed? A single one, in your own words.

vy65
03-16-2018, 07:31 PM
I hear you though. The problem with chairs is that they’re not phones.

koriwhat
03-16-2018, 07:32 PM
Hawking. Can you explain one of the concepts he developed? A single one, in your own words.

why do i have to tbh? idgaf about his theories nor ever looked into them or him other than seeing photos of the dude. don't care! you're barking up the wrong tree trying to make yourself look cool around here by asking questions that are pointless.

vy65
03-16-2018, 08:16 PM
why do i have to tbh? idgaf about his theories nor ever looked into them or him other than seeing photos of the dude. don't care! you're barking up the wrong tree trying to make yourself look cool around here by asking questions that are pointless.

Because you said he was no Tesla. Back up your claim. One concept, in your own words.

koriwhat
03-16-2018, 08:34 PM
Because you said he was no Tesla. Back up your claim. One concept, in your own words.

he was no tesla, he was a hawking and you're a fucking retard.

koriwhat
03-16-2018, 08:46 PM
vy, it almost takes you just as long as hawking to electronically spit out a word.

pgardn
03-16-2018, 08:59 PM
They were born at completely different times and worked on very different things. Tesla was more of an experimental theoretician. Hawking was pure theory.

I actually made made a pretty big Tesla coil and wash "shocked" that it worked. And worked really well. They don't let you do this on campus anymore I was told. The coil sends out a butt load of radio waves and mess up any dept working with radio waves, like the communications peeps. I wonder how many colleges have their own radio stations, if any... anymore...

koriwhat
03-16-2018, 09:12 PM
I actually made made a pretty big Tesla coil and wash "shocked" that it worked. And worked really well.

:tu

pgardn
03-16-2018, 09:27 PM

For vy and kori...

Im just glad people have some sort of interest even if it's a little distorted.

Its important for our country to at least have an interest.

Personally, I found Hawkings book (Brief History... )very unsatisfactory. It had a bunch of neat stuff in it but there is no F'N way, if given a certain scenario, I could explain anything using it.And that's fine. It was not intended for that but I thought there were short cuts. I learned that I did not have the math background. When I looked into the math I would have to know "just" to understand General Relativity, it was way too difficult. I was never gonna get a good model in my head that would allow for any sort of coherent analysis. And that's fine. 99.99% of human beings don't understand it well anyway. Just like I don't get opera, some types of art, on and on... I just have not really spent the time necessary to appreciate it. But I still do.
Appreciate the people who do get these things and even cry when they see it (makes me a bit jealous actually) but... Thats the way it is...

koriwhat
03-16-2018, 09:32 PM
For vy and kori...

Personally, I found Hawkings book (Brief History... )very unsatisfactory. It had a bunch of neat stuff in it but there is no F'N way, if given a certain scenario, I could explain anything using it.And that's fine. It was not intended for that but I thought there were short cuts. I learned that I did not have the math background. When I looked into the math I would have to know "just" to understand General Relativity, it was way too difficult. I was never gonna get a good model in my head that would allow for any sort of coherent analysis. And that's fine. 99.99% of human beings don't understand it well anyway. Just like I don't get opera, some types of art, on and on... I just have not really spent the time necessary to appreciate it. But I still do.
Appreciate the people who do get these things and even cry when they see it (makes me a bit jealous actually) but... Thats the way it is...

read a book recently that's very different from what we're discussing but it takes a subject i am really interested in and dives deep into what is, what might be, and what could be when dealing with the brain. "the future of the mind" by michio kaku. great book imo.

btw, i have too many electronics... especially test equipment & components. ugh.... never can have enough i suppose.

vy65
03-16-2018, 09:52 PM
he was no tesla.

Yeah that’s not how this works. One concept.

pgardn
03-16-2018, 10:00 PM

read a book recently that's very different from what we're discussing but it takes a subject i am really interested in and dives deep into what is, what might be, and what could be when dealing with the brain. "the future of the mind" by michio kaku. great book imo.

btw, i have too many electronics... especially test equipment & components. ugh.... never can have enough i suppose.

Honestly I probably could not wire a house properly or fix my Frggn circuit breaker board. But I know how tstuff works. I know, fairly thoroughly, how cars work, but I am a horrible mechanic and don't give a shit about cars. But building something from scratch in a determined way through many failures and it finally works... When I saw the first little arcs in the totally darkened room I knew I had it, just some adjustments... The damn thing created at least 300,000 v of potential difference causing 0.75 meters of arcing into the air... F'N amazing. The smell of Ozone... the bottle capacitors lighting up with this spider arcing...trouble, but so cool. Then trying to get it to work better but you are limited because the damn thing starts caring down to the coil..

And then lighting up flourscent bulbs and then turning them parallel to the electric field and have them turn off... when your standing 3 meters away from the thing... all this theory and models becomes clear. It's very satisfying. What if I try this what if I try that... what should happen... I need to stop.

pgardn
03-16-2018, 10:07 PM
Yeah that’s not how this works. One concept.

No but at least people care and possibly respect what others do.
My father is a lawyer. No way for me. Real estate stuff with leins and easements and I don't even know the vocab ... holy F'N blow me apart. Yelling at clients on the phone, constantly writing on his damn legal pad he won't give up...

I worked there summers in HS and first year college summer. Way too much reading, talking,not enough fiddling around.

koriwhat
03-16-2018, 11:10 PM
Honestly I probably could not wire a house properly or fix my Frggn circuit breaker board. But I know how tstuff works. I know, fairly thoroughly, how cars work, but I am a horrible mechanic and don't give a shit about cars. But building something from scratch in a determined way through many failures and it finally works... When I saw the first little arcs in the totally darkened room I knew I had it, just some adjustments... The damn thing created at least 300,000 v of potential difference causing 0.75 meters of arcing into the air... F'N amazing. The smell of Ozone... the bottle capacitors lighting up with this spider arcing...trouble, but so cool. Then trying to get it to work better but you are limited because the damn thing starts caring down to the coil..

And then lighting up flourscent bulbs and then turning them parallel to the electric field and have them turn off... when your standing 3 meters away from the thing... all this theory and models becomes clear. It's very satisfying. What if I try this what if I try that... what should happen... I need to stop.

i'll bring one of my 5 oscilloscopes over asap... rigol i love you!

baseline bum
03-16-2018, 11:33 PM
For vy and kori...

Well you could always read Hawking's The Large Scale Structure of Spacetime if you want more details to make more sense of it. J/k, that book is fucking dense, it makes Carroll's Spacetime and Geometry look like freshman physics.

If you want a cool and understandable intro to GR check this class from McGill, as long as you know SR decently:

http://www.physics.mcgill.ca/~maloney/514/

The problem sets can get kind of hairy though; good to use something like Mathematica to keep things organized in your calculations unless you want to blow through a tree's worth of notebook paper redoing your calculations because you fucked up one expansion here or there.

pgardn
03-17-2018, 12:25 AM
Well you could always read Hawking's The Large Scale Structure of Spacetime if you want more details to make more sense of it. J/k, that book is fucking dense, it makes Carroll's Spacetime and Geometry look like freshman physics.

If you want a cool and understandable intro to GR check this class from McGill, as long as you know SR decently:

http://www.physics.mcgill.ca/~maloney/514/

The problem sets can get kind of hairy though; good to use something like Mathematica to keep things organized in your calculations unless you want to blow through a tree's worth of notebook paper redoing your calculations because you fucked up one expansion here or there.

Yep Carroll, that was a starting point recommended but...

differential geometry, tensors, coordinate transforms, Einstein Field Equations, it's not happening, don't have the "time"
And I would even have to go back and reread SR. I am a molecular biology, biochemistry guy that got interested in some physics because I had to and because it started to interest me. Right now I'm fine just sticking to mechanics because I always learn new inconsistencies in my thinking. It's fun reading it yourself, getting a good grasp, coming up with new questions, and then finally realizing you solved them for yourself.

When gravitational waves became a thing, I started thinking about EM waves and vibrations and hypothesized that the dancing of the two neutron stars around each other being sort of pure mass, unlike a vibrating charged particle, and it made sense that a property of space could just be allowing for the waves created by two very large,mostly uncharged masses could provide the energy as they rotated and got closer and closer and becoming one big vibrating blob of mass that then ceased to vibrate which might be revealed as the end of the spike of a g wave. But the data and other energy released did not fit the model completely so I read further and got bogged down. Then someone else brought in 4-d space time slices and tried to give me another model and I was brain dead. Showed me some preliminary stuff on paper that kinda made sense where I might pick it up. But I gotta work.

So... I spent valuable time writing you about what I don't know and what it's gonna take.
But thanks. I'm gonna have to have a person sit face to face with books to get er done. Someday...

leemajors
03-17-2018, 05:37 PM
They were born at completely different times and worked on very different things. Tesla was more of an experimental theoretician. Hawking was pure theory.

I actually made made a pretty big Tesla coil and wash "shocked" that it worked. And worked really well. They don't let you do this on campus anymore I was told. The coil sends out a butt load of radio waves and mess up any dept working with radio waves, like the communications peeps. I wonder how many colleges have their own radio stations, if any... anymore...

I went to Survival Research Labs at the Longhorn Speedway around 97-98 when they were in town, they had a tesla coil and had robots moving towards it that got zapped. It was very impressive. Not my video but here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvWo-OV1Nrc

koriwhat
03-17-2018, 05:40 PM
I went to Survival Research Labs at the Longhorn Speedway around 97-98 when they were in town, they had a gigantic tesla coil and had robots moving towards it that got zapped. It was very impressive.

that coil throws a huge EMF with a ton of Amps... fuck that! probably rad as hell to witness in real life though.

pgardn
03-17-2018, 06:17 PM
I went to Survival Research Labs at the Longhorn Speedway around 97-98 when they were in town, they had a tesla coil and had robots moving towards it that got zapped. It was very impressive. Not my video but here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvWo-OV1Nrc

What the hell was all the other stuff?

What was the deal with the little glowing go carts?

And I gotta take a screen shot and point some things out cause they did a different design.

leemajors
03-17-2018, 06:22 PM
What the hell was all the other stuff?

What was the deal with the little glowing go carts?

And I gotta take a screen shot and point some things out cause they did a different design.

It was a go kart with a rocket or jet engine on it.

http://www.srl.org/

Will Hunting
03-17-2018, 09:14 PM

:lmao

vy65
03-18-2018, 10:00 PM
Currently being reviewed by a leading scientific journal, the paper, named A Smooth Exit from Eternal Inflation, may turn out to be Hawking’s most important scientific legacy

Fellow researchers have said that if the evidence which the new theory promises had been discovered before Hawking died last week, it may have secured the Nobel Prize which had eluded him for so long.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2018/03/18/stephen-hawking-leaves-behind-breathtaking-final-multiverse/

He’s no Tesla ...

baseline bum
03-18-2018, 10:14 PM
Currently being reviewed by a leading scientific journal, the paper, named A Smooth Exit from Eternal Inflation, may turn out to be Hawking’s most important scientific legacy

Fellow researchers have said that if the evidence which the new theory promises had been discovered before Hawking died last week, it may have secured the Nobel Prize which had eluded him for so long.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2018/03/18/stephen-hawking-leaves-behind-breathtaking-final-multiverse/

He’s no Tesla ...

Hawking not winning a Nobel isn't really a slight IMO. It's just hard to prove theories dealing with black holes. Same thing will happen with Leonard Susskind. He'll likely never get a Nobel for creating string theory since there isn't any proposed way to see if they even exist yet. I don't think we're anywhere close to building an accelerator to give particles the kind of energy you'd need to find a string at their currently hypothesized sizes.

Millennial_Messiah
01-10-2020, 09:40 PM
monosylab1k

monosylab1k
01-10-2020, 09:41 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsJMnnKgNjg