PDA

View Full Version : NBA: What do you hate the most with today's NBA : too much 3 pt shooting or no rivalries?

lefty
03-18-2018, 04:30 PM
Tbh

Chris
03-18-2018, 05:16 PM
Probably lack of rivalries, but I hate some of the rules and the way the game is being called now. Blatant illegal screens. Traveling. Flopping without repercussions (which were promised) No hand checking (Jordan rule) Lazy disinterested players just going through the motions (Eastern Conference) Lack of rivalries can be attributed to Tim Duncan and the Spurs dominance through 2 decades. Duncan squashed Dallas and Phoenix - 2 of our biggest rivals. Kobe squashed the Lakers single-handedly once he was exposed without a dominant big to hold his hand.

Silver&Black
03-18-2018, 05:33 PM
Superstars who join a 73 win team.

DMC
03-18-2018, 05:52 PM
Narrative more about current events than about basketball. Same with almost any entertainment where celebrities are made - too much side discussion and the game seems like a footnote.

"it's just basketball"

Sure, but you make millions to play it. If we wanted to hear or read your political views, we'd ask you to run for office. Shut up and dribble? No, they have the right to speak. I just don't care to watch a game and hear more about DC than about the Spurs or Lakers. Where the fuck did that go anyhow?

Problem two: Watered down superstars.

Two and likely 3 MVPs.. KD, RW and Harden. Couldn't win a ring together but today's NBA thinks they are the best of the best because they have endless marches to the FT line. One had to join with another 2 time MVP who couldn't defend a white walkon scrub in the Finals. Each of them pads stats and RW lives by it.

Lebron and Kawhi are two of the few real superstars in the league. The rest are ball handlers who cannot defend, or shooters who cannot defend.

Clipper Nation
03-18-2018, 05:59 PM
Three-point shooting by far out of those two. It's getting as boring to watch as the days of pure isoball and contested long twos, and it's too overpowered. Even if there were more heated rivalries, the games would still be boring because of the style of play that's taking over the league.

The special Charmin-soft officiating that only the Warriors and Rockets get is worse than both, though. It used to be superstar calls, now it's superteam calls. Even superstars who aren't on teams that fit the league's desired marketing narrative don't get calls anymore, while role players like Draymond are allowed to do whatever they want because they wear a favored team's jersey.

HarlemHeat37
03-18-2018, 06:01 PM
The only thing I hate about today's game is James Harden, tbh..he's the smartest(on-court) player in league history and has completely exploited every inefficiency to become an MVP..

Otherwise, there's a reason it's more popular than it has ever been if you exclude Dad Killer brainwashing, it's a beauty to watch..eliminating hand-checking and posting up was genius..

LkrFan
03-18-2018, 08:11 PM

:lol

LkrFan
03-18-2018, 08:12 PM
I hate today's CBA tbh :lol

Killakobe81
03-18-2018, 08:33 PM
The only thing I hate about today's game is James Harden, tbh..he's the smartest(on-court) player in league history and has completely exploited every inefficiency to become an MVP..

Otherwise, there's a reason it's more popular than it has ever been if you exclude Dad Killer brainwashing, it's a beauty to watch..eliminating hand-checking and posting up was genius..

eliminating posting up isnt genius ...
Should still be a placein any era for the Duncan drop step, Hakeem dream shake, Worthy baseline spin or the McHale up and under. Some of these changes are great but making the league soft and banning handchecking has turned the league in to 2k ...
And i dont mind Harden its on these pusshole refs to stop bailing him out when he intiates contact, and the defenders need to stop reaching. Great offensive talent but part of it is he stays in rhythmn off Fts

lefty
03-18-2018, 09:47 PM
Three-point shooting by far out of those two. It's getting as boring to watch as the days of pure isoball and contested long twos, and it's too overpowered. Even if there were more heated rivalries, the games would still be boring because of the style of play that's taking over the league.

The special Charmin-soft officiating that only the Warriors and Rockets get is worse than both, though. It used to be superstar calls, now it's superteam calls. Even superstars who aren't on teams that fit the league's desired marketing narrative don't get calls anymore, while role players like Draymond are allowed to do whatever they want because they wear a favored team's jersey.

Which era was the most enjoyable to watch in your opinion?

UNT Eagles 2016
03-18-2018, 09:58 PM

I think the late 90s/early 00s isoball, where cool drives, acrobatic finishes near the rim and dunks were king instead of analytics and three pointers, was actually when the NBA was at its best. Not to mention the fact that defense was far more emphasized back then than today, players like Bruce Bowen and Adrian Griffin, Trenton Hassell etc not to mention defense-first big guys actually had a place in the league.

Mike D'Antoni and the Suns started a trend in the late fall of 2004 that grew into a nasty cancer that has run its course through today's NBA.

daslicer
03-18-2018, 10:05 PM

:lol How can you hate watching hand-checking when your favorite player Draymond is allowed to do it all the time on the defensive end?

AlexJones
03-19-2018, 12:16 AM
Nothing much. I could list at least 10 things for each of NFL, NHL, and MLB for every 1 problem I have with the NBA.

Stabula
03-19-2018, 01:39 AM
The three point shooting meta is pretty shit to watch for fans who appreciate the game, the castrated defense is also quite shit, and the Warriors are the least respectable super-team I've ever watched.

dfens
03-19-2018, 02:02 AM
The three point shooting meta is pretty shit to watch for fans who appreciate the game, the castrated defense is also quite shit, and the Warriors are the least respectable super-team I've ever watched.

the three point shooting is a consequence of weak rules, as it gives zero incentive to attack to paint to create space when you can just illegal screen the other team to death but get FTs on the weakest imaginable contact. Hence, there is no point in actually creating space the old way, which led to varied/real basketball when you can just shortcut on each and every play.

Change the defensive rules to something fair, not even handcheck mind you, just something were acceptable contact is permitted => change the way the space is created => high variety of shots => nice basketball. nice and simple.

Anyway the cause for these pussy rules are not the players, but the consumers, and that's a different story, but one who'll keep the pussy rules in place.

apalisoc_9
03-19-2018, 02:05 AM
Mostly james harden and Kevin Durant.

Also media personalities. I want to throw acid to nick wright, SAS, Skip bayless etc face.

I also want to throw my cum into rachel nichols face.

StrengthAndHonor
03-19-2018, 02:14 AM
https://niketalk.com/attachments/ca160a85-7f12-4f70-9ab4-fff9532273ae-png.2079033/

Killakobe81
03-19-2018, 05:57 AM
Mostly james harden and Kevin Durant.

Also media personalities. I want to throw acid to nick wright, SAS, Skip bayless etc face.

agreed Joy Taylor and Molly Q can stay ... especially Joy ...but the cohosts and that wack chick with nick wright and Cc are the worst ...everyday same topics lebron and maybe lonzo followed by is Rox a threat to state ...

Clipper Nation
03-19-2018, 07:50 AM
Which era was the most enjoyable to watch in your opinion?
2004-2014 was my favorite era, tbh. There were still teams with a variety of different styles and personalities in the league instead of everyone playing Moreyball. Iso-heroball gradually started to decrease over that era, but three-point chucking was never as ridiculous as it is today. Definitely a lot better than the boring-ass '90s or 2015-present.

Clipper Nation
03-19-2018, 07:57 AM
agreed Joy Taylor and Molly Q can stay ... especially Joy ...but the cohosts and that wack chick with nick wright can are the worst ...everyday same topics lebron and maybe lonzo followed by is Rox a threat to state ...
I don't get the Nick Wright hate, tbh. He actually understands basketball, so he shouldn't be lumped in with trolls like Skip and SAS.

DeadlyDynasty
03-19-2018, 09:15 AM
Narrative more about current events than about basketball. Same with almost any entertainment where celebrities are made - too much side discussion and the game seems like a footnote.

"it's just basketball"

Sure, but you make millions to play it. If we wanted to hear or read your political views, we'd ask you to run for office. Shut up and dribble? No, they have the right to speak. I just don't care to watch a game and hear more about DC than about the Spurs or Lakers. Where the fuck did that go anyhow?

This.

I enjoy the product on the floor though, always have regardless of era.

RsxPiimp
03-19-2018, 09:50 AM
hate flopping and james harden.

Killakobe81
03-19-2018, 10:55 AM
I don't get the Nick Wright hate, tbh. He actually understands basketball, so he shouldn't be lumped in with trolls like Skip and SAS.

I have no issue with his Lebron love affair ...i just hate how defensive he is when guys, he brings on disagrees with him. He also sensitive to the i played in the league argument ...
he uses stats well sure but he sucks at debating topics and gets emo ...
Bringing people who are SME's on then not allowibg them to speak is something Nick, SAS do ...surprisingly shitty ass Skip abd Shannon are the best listeners in that format ...Colin will listen too even if he disagrees like his Russ hate ...he just likes to lead his guests to support his theories ...

lebomb
03-19-2018, 12:53 PM
Driving the lane, passing up a wide open 6ft jump shot, kicking it out for a 3pt shot that has about a 30% chance of going in. The mid range game is gone. Either layups, floaters, or the 3pt shot is all you are getting in today NBA and basketball in general.

bdictjames
03-19-2018, 02:02 PM
Personally I think we need to bring back the art of post-moves. Or, the mid-range game. Derozan does a good job throwing it back but we need more players with that kind of craft and skillset.

Killakobe81
03-19-2018, 02:26 PM
Personally I think we need to bring back the art of post-moves. Or, the mid-range game. Derozan does a good job throwing it back but we need more players with that kind of craft and skillset.

Harden and kyrie have that skillset especially when harden aint flopping ...

ambchang
03-19-2018, 02:43 PM
I just hate the fact that the spurs suck.

whitemamba
03-19-2018, 02:48 PM
I just hate the fact that the spurs suck.

get used to it son, unless you guys pull something miraculous, its going to be a while for spur nation. Dont worry though, you have 1 ring in the last 10 years to celebrate.

lefty
03-19-2018, 03:03 PM
2004-2014 was my favorite era, tbh. There were still teams with a variety of different styles and personalities in the league instead of everyone playing Moreyball. Iso-heroball gradually started to decrease over that era, but three-point chucking was never as ridiculous as it is today. Definitely a lot better than the boring-ass '90s or 2015-present.
:tu

TD 21
03-19-2018, 06:25 PM
- That virtually the entire game is geared around the 3 and there's little diversity
- That it's like a soap opera
- The majority of the coverage, from the clear biases to the groupthink (it's either archaic, generally loud mouth types or hipster, snobby, stat geeks)

03-19-2018, 07:04 PM
Driving the lane, passing up a wide open 6ft jump shot, kicking it out for a 3pt shot that has about a 30% chance of going in. The mid range game is gone. Either layups, floaters, or the 3pt shot is all you are getting in today NBA and basketball in general.
https://i.imgur.com/eC6VRLK.png

ambchang
03-19-2018, 08:37 PM
get used to it son, unless you guys pull something miraculous, its going to be a while for spur nation. Dont worry though, you have 1 ring in the last 10 years to celebrate.

I know. Gotta learn from you guys as you had a six year head start. Should I just suck it up or should I bandwagon?

lebomb
03-19-2018, 08:45 PM
- That virtually the entire game is geared around the 3 and there's little diversity
- That it's like a soap opera
- The majority of the coverage, from the clear biases to the groupthink (it's either archaic, generally loud mouth types or hipster, snobby, stat geeks)

You can thank Steph Curry and Golden State Warriors for this debacle.

dfens
03-20-2018, 12:25 AM
https://i.imgur.com/eC6VRLK.png

son in the regular season unwashed negros like harden are just allowed to do anything to get a FT, of course they gon' get layups or 3s, as there is no point for any type of offense to do anything else. being unable to defend <=> free space, why work more?
It's also exactly that type of offense will get punished MOST in the post season. No surprise fools gold rockets and raptors are at the top... looking forward to the brickfest. Also lol at cp3 ringing. And also lol @ being over-reliant on a strategy for RS but on a different strategy for post season.

SAGirl
03-20-2018, 12:34 AM
Good one...

HarlemHeat37
03-20-2018, 01:08 AM
You can thank Steph Curry and Golden State Warriors for this debacle.

Warriors actually don't even shoot that many 3s, tbh..they only have 1 top 3 finish in 3s/100 possessions since Curry became an All-Star..

2013: 14th
2014: 6th
2015: 6th
2016: tied for 1st with Cleveland and Houston
2017: 5th
2018: 14th

Houston changed the game, they've shot more 3s than any team since 2014 and it isn't even close..no other team is in the same universe:lol if they win the title this season, old timers could argue that they broke basketball with math and Harden exploiting inefficiencies(although the ratings say otherwise)..

Down Under
03-20-2018, 01:36 AM
What's popular isn't always good and vice versa, see pop music. I love the ball movement, player movement, motion offense of the game today. But the over reliance on the 3 ball is becoming tiresome & I do miss back to the basket play, not isoball though

lefty
03-20-2018, 06:54 AM
Iso ball is great when the ball is in the hands of a great player tbh

AlexJones
03-20-2018, 07:22 AM
Iso ball is great when the ball is in the hands of a great player tbh
It's better when you have 4 shooters around the guy you're trying to iso. Dumb fuck Philly never knew to build around Iverson with anyone other than Eric fucking Snow :lmao

AlexJones
03-20-2018, 07:27 AM
HarlemHeat37 (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=11597) we betting Houston money line for the series if they draw Kawhi round 1 and OKC round 2? Especially the Spurs.. the stupid square money will pour all over the underdog.. we can see something retarded like Rockets -600 vs Spurs, -300 vs OKC

lefty
03-20-2018, 12:07 PM
It's better when you have 4 shooters around the guy you're trying to iso. Dumb fuck Philly never knew to build around Iverson with anyone other than Eric fucking Snow :lmao

People are shitting on Iverson for isoballing but who the fuck is going to give more scoring responsibilities to Lynch, Show or Tyronn Hill's corpse ? :lol

whitemamba
03-20-2018, 02:18 PM
I know. Gotta learn from you guys as you had a six year head start. Should I just suck it up or should I bandwagon?

Times are tough my man, just pretend your a rockets fan. Its close enough.

jacobdrj
03-20-2018, 02:41 PM
I like the inside-outside 3 point game... It should have been embraced with NBA coaches for a long time...
I like that there are some teams who both play defense and play unselfish inside-out basketball.
I dislike how the rules have been changed to prevent teams from being defense-first oriented.
I dislike that many coaches are still incapable of managing a game. Too many coaches still save timeouts for the afterlife, and don't stop opponent's runs by using timeouts. It is infuriating that so few coaches have ever done this.
I dislike the salary cap. I wish that teams could spend as much as they wanted, and would be punished for doing so irresponsibly.
I like that some players have decided to occasionally take a little less to win...
I dislike ESPN/ABC/Disney... (I feel cheated that my 2004 Pistons didn't get to win on NBC instead of ABC, it felt cheapened by it...) How does ESPN not know how to be at least as good at finding/exploiting story-lines as NBC?

ambchang
03-20-2018, 09:13 PM
Times are tough my man, just pretend your a rockets fan. Its close enough.

Yeah hardens supposed to be Ginobili 2.0

Donkeybong
03-21-2018, 02:18 AM
I hate the low threshold for technicals now. Players should be able to show more emotion. Let them get in each others face and just break it up and play on.

Strategic
03-21-2018, 08:19 AM
Three point shot and 1’s or any free throws associated with three point shooting.

jacobdrj
03-21-2018, 12:34 PM
As I think about this more, the thing I absolutely hate about the NBA is Hack-A-Shaq. The fact that the strategy can be used indicates there is something wrong with the game... Remember, this is a game of entertainment, and this makes the game less entertaining (even if it is a bit more dramatic at the end of the game)...
I actually like flopping ;) Refs gonna ref the players? Refs can get played by the players...

spurraider21
03-21-2018, 03:44 PM
james harden tbh

.G.
03-21-2018, 07:26 PM
I hate the fake injury management bs that silver gives these niggz in preparation for the playoffs. It’s as if Vegas doesn’t want us to see certain matchups at full strength to make betting difficult in the postseason. Pure conspiracy theory speculation but I have funs with it. It’s entertainment after all.

daslicer
03-21-2018, 08:03 PM
A lot of the things I hate in the NBA are already mentioned in this thread so I will just add to it. I hate the stupid awards show the NBA now has. I liked it better when all these awards such as DPOY, MVP, Sixth man were revealed during the playoffs. It was exciting to see how the player who won the MVP responded to the pressure of the playoffs.

lefty
03-21-2018, 09:02 PM
A lot of the things I hate in the NBA are already mentioned in this thread so I will just add to it. I hate the stupid awards show the NBA now has. I liked it better when all these awards such as DPOY, MVP, Sixth man were revealed during the playoffs. It was exciting to see how the player who won the MVP responded to the pressure of the playoffs.

Yup.