PDA

View Full Version : Chasing the Playoffs - Magic Numbers

Dex
03-19-2018, 12:08 PM
As we are all well aware, the Spurs are fighting for the playoffs for the first time in two decades. At this point, it seems likely that Kawhi isn't going to come walking through that door, but this team still doesn't seem to be ready to pack it in and start playing for a lottery pick.

There really is no catching the Rockets and Warriors at this point, and the Lakers are so far behind that it's fairly safe to say that they are out of the conversation as well. That leaves 8 "bubble teams" fighting for the last 6 spots - Blazers, Thunder, Jazz, Pelicans, Spurs, Timberwolves, Clippers, and Nuggets.

As of this moment, the Spurs sit in 7th place and in a three-way tie with the Pelicans and Jazz at 40-30. This weekend has been kind to the Spurs as the the Wolves, Pelicans, Clippers, and Nuggets have all lost games (with two losses coming in San Antonio).

The Blazers, Jazz, and Thunder have been on a tear lately, while the Nuggets, Clippers, and Wolves all seem to have hit a mini-skid.

The Pelicans are in an interesting stretch where they play 7 games in 9 days (due to a rescheduled game against the Pacers). They lost the first 2 of the 7 but won yesterday in Boston, and they still have to face Indiana and Houston during that gauntlet with showdowns against Portland, Cleveland, and OKC looming shortly thereafter.

There are many ways to break down this sprint for the playoffs, but the easiest way to sort it out is probably by magic numbers. So without further ado, here we go:

Magic Numbers against teams on the bubble with 12 games left:
Trailblazers (tiebreaker TBD, tied 1-1) - 17
Thunder (tiebreaker TBD, OKC leads 2-1) - 14
Jazz (Utah owns tiebreaker) - 13
Pelicans (tiebreaker TBD - NOP leads 2-1) - 13
Timberwolves (Spurs own tiebreaker) - 11
Nuggets (tiebreaker TBD, tied 2-2) - 11
Clippers (Spurs own tiebreaker) - 10

Unfortunately, the Spurs have the 2nd toughest remaining schedule behind OKC and only control their own destiny against three of these teams, but they only need to beat out two of them. All teams have some tough games coming down the stretch, so this race is far from over.

dabom
03-19-2018, 12:37 PM
Kawhi might be coming back after the warriors game.

BillMc
03-19-2018, 12:39 PM
Maybe I'm misunderstanding this, but was is the Spurs magic number?

Thanks for doing this Dex. :toast

Dex
03-19-2018, 12:51 PM
Maybe I'm misunderstanding this, but was is the Spurs magic number?

Thanks for doing this Dex. :toast

A Magic Number is a combination of Spurs wins OR Opposing Team losses which guarantees that the Spurs will finish ahead of that Opposing Team.

For example, in order for the Spurs to finish ahead of the Clippers, the Spurs will have to win 10 games, the Clippers will have to lose 10 games, or any combination of the two that adds up to 10 (i.e. Spurs win 6 and Clippers lose 4).

With each Spurs win, the Magic Number will go down by 1 against every team. If one of the other teams loses, their Magic Number also goes down by 1.

BillMc
03-19-2018, 12:59 PM
A Magic Number is a combination of Spurs wins OR Opposing Team losses which guarantees that the Spurs will finish ahead of that Opposing Team.

For example, in order for the Spurs to finish ahead of the Clippers, the Spurs will have to win 10 games, the Clippers will have to lose 10 games, or any combination of the two that adds up to 10 (i.e. Spurs win 6 and Clippers lose 4).

With each Spurs win, the Magic Number will go down by 1 against every team. If one of the other teams loses, their Magic Number also goes down by 1.

Got it. Thanks for explaining it to us slow-witted types. :bobo

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/87/47/12/874712ded215f7a3b886ce9f66a3e41a.jpg

MVPCues
03-19-2018, 12:59 PM
Nice thread! I trust you plan on updating numbers after games.

Dex
03-19-2018, 01:12 PM
Got it. Thanks for explaining it to us slow-witted types. :bobo

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/87/47/12/874712ded215f7a3b886ce9f66a3e41a.jpg

:toast

Nice thread! I trust you plan on updating numbers after games.

Definitely...more news to come.

gambit1990
03-19-2018, 01:16 PM
i’m interested in the magic number to miss the POs.

K...
03-19-2018, 01:20 PM
i’m interested in the magic number to miss the POs.

Probably easiest to look at the last three on the list and whether there Spurs can reach the magic 10/11 level against those 3

Proxy
03-19-2018, 01:44 PM
thanks for this!

Chinook
03-19-2018, 01:53 PM
Unfortunately, the Spurs have the 2nd toughest remaining schedule behind OKC and only control their own destiny against three of these teams, but they only need to beat out two of them. All teams have some tough games coming down the stretch, so this race is far from over.

Spurs control their destiny over every one of those teams but Portland. A Spurs team that goes 12-0 gets at worst the four-seed. That's because the H2H games against Utah and NO count double for magic-number purposes. Same is true for OKC, save for the fact that a 12-0 Spurs would win the tie-break against OKC with the superior conference record. There'd be no need to worry after three-way ties either (and those are huge when really calculating magic numbers), because a 12-0 Spurs would have a straight-up better record against everyone but a 9-1 OKC, and as mentioned before, they'd win a H2H tie-break against them.

Of course, the likelihood of the team going 12-0 is really low and we will likely have to completely re-calibrate the scenarios within a couple of days. But magic numbers aren't about likelihood, so small chances matter just as much as sure things.

Dex
03-19-2018, 02:04 PM
Spurs control their destiny over every one of those teams but Portland. A Spurs team that goes 12-0 gets at worst the four-seed. That's because the H2H games against Utah and NO count double for magic-number purposes. Same is true for OKC, save for the fact that a 12-0 Spurs would win the tie-break against OKC with the superior conference record. There'd be no need to worry after three-way ties either (and those are huge when really calculating magic numbers), because a 12-0 Spurs would have a straight-up better record against everyone but a 9-1 OKC, and as mentioned before, they'd win a H2H tie-break against them.

Of course, the likelihood of the team going 12-0 is really low and we will likely have to completely re-calibrate the scenarios within a couple of days. But magic numbers aren't about likelihood, so small chances matter just as much as sure things.

This is true. I hadn't considered the H2H matchups the Spurs have with teams on the bubble when I made that statement.

For the record, the Spurs have 5 matchups remaining with teams on the bubble:
Jazz - 3/23
Thunder - 3/29
Clippers - 4/3
Blazers - 4/7
Pelicans - 4/11 (and could very well be for a playoff spot)

dabom
03-19-2018, 02:07 PM
12-0 you say. :hat

Chinook
03-19-2018, 02:09 PM
This is true. I hadn't considered the H2H matchups the Spurs have with teams on the bubble when I made that statement.

For the record, the Spurs have 5 matchups remaining with teams on the bubble:
Jazz - 3/23
Thunder - 3/29
Clippers - 4/3
Blazers - 4/7
Pelicans - 4/11 (and could very well be for a playoff spot)

Indeed, also, Portland has something of a gauntlet themselves coming up with only Memphis and Dallas left on the schedule as far as teams not fighting for anything. It's not out of the question for them to drop enough games to where OKC or the mess of 30-loss teams gets a chance to overtake them. The Blazers a really shitty closers historically. That 4/7 game may well be a deciding factor in Blazers/Spurs seeding. For magic-number purposes, it counts for three whole points.

dabom
03-19-2018, 02:12 PM
I'd rather get warriors second round. Either take them out, or make it a super tiredsome series... Thinking about this, I hate the lockets more than warriettes.

Have to evaluate what I prefer. I guess don't think about it is better. Just make the playoffs. No team 1-4 seeded team would want to play the Spurs first. :lol

Dex
03-19-2018, 05:06 PM
Notable games tonight:

Nuggets @ Heat - Miami is also fighting for their playoff lives and clinging to the 8th seed in the East, while the Nuggets are on the outside looking in with their 9th place spot. Both teams should come out fighting, and a loss for Denver would push them further away from the playoff picture.

Warriors @ Spurs - For the first time in three seasons, Golden State actually seems to be dealing with injury issues, and the Spurs need to take advantage. Curry, Durant, and Thompson are all out, and several other reserves are hobbled. Spurs have a full clip other than Kawhi. Two weeks ago, this seemed like a scheduled loss. Picking up a win on what would've been one of the toughest games left on the schedule would be huge.

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-19-2018, 05:17 PM
Notable games tonight:
Warriors @ Spurs - For the first time in three seasons, Golden State actually seems to be dealing with injury issues, and the Spurs need to take advantage. Curry, Durant, and Thompson are all out, and several other reserves are hobbled. Spurs have a full clip other than Kawhi. Two weeks ago, this seemed like a scheduled loss. Picking up a win on what would've been one of the toughest games left on the schedule would be huge.

Mentally, I think, a loss tonight would be particularly damaging. Spurs losing to the end of the Warriors' bench, at home, might suck the recently acquired wind out of their sails. Hoping we see a great effort from the Spurs tonight.

objective
03-19-2018, 06:43 PM
Spurs are making it in by default.

Nuggets and Clippers suck too much.

Nuggets have lost to Mavericks and Grizzlies the last 2 weeks, and including tonight have 8 of their last 12 on the road.

The Clippers haven't beaten any of the current top 8 western conference teams since the end of January.

Spurs probably get the easy unexpected win against the Warriors and that should seal it. The difficulty of their schedule isn't that bad compared to other teams in the mix. Unimpressive Wizards twice, should be an easy split. The reeling bucks. An easy win against the Kings. OKC at home.

MVPCues
03-20-2018, 07:59 AM
If you tally the current streaks of the top 7 teams in the west, the combined record is 38 - 1. The bottom 8 combined streaks is 0 - 23.

Russ
03-20-2018, 08:18 AM
Why do I get that deja vu feeling that our last game in New Orleans will be make all the difference in seeding? :wow

K...
03-20-2018, 08:30 AM
Trailblazers (tiebreaker TBD, tied 1-1) - 16
Thunder (tiebreaker TBD, OKC leads 2-1) - 13
Jazz (Utah owns tiebreaker) - 12
Pelicans (tiebreaker TBD - NOP leads 2-1) - 12
Timberwolves (Spurs own tiebreaker) - 10
Nuggets (tiebreaker TBD, tied 2-2) - 9
Clippers (Spurs own tiebreaker) - 9

I believe this is today's rundown, simple math, spurs win subtract one, nuggets lose subtract one from them

Dex
03-20-2018, 02:49 PM
Trailblazers (tiebreaker TBD, tied 1-1) - 16
Thunder (tiebreaker TBD, OKC leads 2-1) - 13
Jazz (Utah owns tiebreaker) - 12
Clippers (Spurs own tiebreaker) - 9

I believe this is today's rundown, simple math, spurs win subtract one, nuggets lose subtract one from them

Thanks, K...

Notable games for tonight (3/20):

Thunder @ Boston - Boston will be without Kyrie Iriving, Jalen Brown, and Marcus Smart, so they are not as threatening as their record makes them seem. They will be hard pressed to beat the surging Thunder, but Brad Stevens has a good system and his guys always play hard.

Clippers @ Timberwolves - These type of games are great for our Magic Numbers, as the Spurs are bound to gain ground on one of these teams tonight.

Mavericks @ Pelicans - Cuban basically already came out and said that the Mavericks aren't trying to win games, so I would be surprised to see the Pelicans lose this one.

Hawks @ Jazz - Atlanta is also participating in the Tankathon, so ditto. However, the Nuggets did lose to the Grizzles (who were threatening the longest losing streak record), so I guess anything is possible.

Rockets @ Blazers - The Rockets should definitely give the Trailblazers some fits, but Portland has been no slouch recently either. Let's hope Harden shoots 50 free throws and Houston does us a solid.

spursistan
03-20-2018, 09:48 PM
Even without Kawhi, it is gonna take the Spurs wetting themselves badly in the last 11 games for them to miss the playoffs..

Looks like Clippers and Nuggets will be the two odd teams out..

We just need to make sure we are out of the Rockets/Warriors way and take our chances with whoever we get, preferably not OKC (starpower + Adams covers Aldridge pretty well)

ducks
03-20-2018, 10:12 PM
http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2018/03/boston_celtics_oklahoma_city_t_9.html

ducks
03-20-2018, 10:29 PM
Go hawks

Proxy
03-20-2018, 10:31 PM
Thanks Atlanta

DPG21920
03-20-2018, 10:32 PM
So Spurs fans. About that being mad at SA for losing games thing...

OKC fully healthy (as they can be) loses to BOS with no Kyrie or Smart.

UTA, healthy and at home, loses to ATL.

So puts SA in perspective.

Chinook
03-21-2018, 12:22 AM
Three of the four games when SA's way. Not too shabby. Until SA loses, I'm still thinking the third-seed is a real possibility. Blazers have a tough schedule, and SA has a three-point game against them next month. If SA doesn't catch them, someone else will.

Dex
03-21-2018, 08:50 AM
Great night for the Spurs...gained 4 Numbers while sitting on their butts!

Magic Numbers against teams on the bubble with 11 games left:
Trailblazers (tiebreaker TBD, tied 1-1) - 15
Thunder (tiebreaker TBD, OKC leads 2-1) - 12
Jazz (Utah owns tiebreaker) - 11
Clippers (Spurs own tiebreaker) - 8

Dex
03-21-2018, 06:01 PM
Listed below are the H2H matchups remaining between teams on the bubble.

Spurs have 5 of these matchups. As mentioned before, these are imperative to win, as they a worth double for Magic Number purposes (or even triple, if the win secures a tiebreaker).

Removing the Spurs from the equation, there are 13 other matchups between bubble teams...which means there are 13 guaranteed losses to be distributed among the opposing teams. That should definitely help to even up the counts, but the Spurs still have some business to take care of as well.

Blazers
3/25 - Thunder
3/27 - Pelicans
3/30 - Clippers
4/7 - Spurs
4/9 - Nuggets
4/11 Jazz

Thunder
3/25 - Blazers
3/29 - Spurs
3/30 - Nuggets
4/1 - Pelicans

Pelicans
3/27 - Blazers
4/1 - Thunder
4/9 - Clippers
4/11 - Spurs

Jazz
3/23 - Spurs
4/1 - Wolves
4/5 - Clippers
4/11 - Blazers

Wolves
4/1 - Jazz
4/5 - Nuggets
4/11 - Nuggets

Nuggets
3/30 - Thunder
4/5 - Jazz
4/7 - Clippers
4/9 - Blazers
4/11 - Jazz

Clippers
3/30 - Blazers
4/3 - Spurs
4/5 - Jazz
4/7 - Nuggets
4/9 - Pelicans

Dex
03-21-2018, 06:31 PM
Notable games for tonight (3/21):

Pacers @ Pelicans - New Orleans is playing in their 4th game in 5 nights (with the Lakers coming tomorrow and a matchup in Houston on Saturday), thanks to a leak in the roof that caused them to cancel and reschedule a game in February).

Nuggets @ Bulls - The Bulls are, well...awful. The Nuggets haven't been playing too hot lately either, but they have the talent advantage.

Clippers @ Bucks - Bucks are sitting pretty comfy in the 8th seed, and with Giannis flexing, this should be good game.

Jazz @ Mavericks - Unsurprisingly, don't expect Dallas to aid the Spurs' cause. It's actually kind of sad to see Nowitzki's career on this trajectory...he doesn't deserve to be stuck in the Tankathon.

spurraider21
03-21-2018, 06:51 PM
spurs wizards also notable tbh

Dex
03-21-2018, 06:58 PM
spurs wizards also notable tbh

:pctoss Well shit, forgot the most important one.

Wizards @ Spurs - Washington is another team missing their "leader", John Wall...but have actually been playing better without him. Maybe there is a reason nobody seems to like him. San Antonio needs to keep their foot on the pedal, though, as this is probably one of the easiest contests left on the slate.

BillMc
03-21-2018, 07:21 PM
Listed below are the H2H matchups remaining between teams on the bubble.

Spurs have 5 of these matchups. As mentioned before, these are imperative to win, as they a worth double for Magic Number purposes (or even triple, if the win secures a tiebreaker).

Removing the Spurs from the equation, there are 13 other matchups between bubble teams...which means their are 13 guaranteed losses to be distributed among the opposing teams. That should definitely help to even up the counts, but the Spurs still have some business to take care of as well.

Blazers
3/25 - Thunder
3/27 - Pelicans
3/30 - Clippers
4/7 - Spurs
4/9 - Nuggets
4/11 Jazz

Thunder
3/25 - Blazers
3/29 - Spurs
3/30 - Nuggets
4/1 - Pelicans

Pelicans
3/27 - Blazers
4/1 - Thunder
4/9 - Clippers
4/11 - Spurs

Jazz
3/23 - Spurs
4/1 - Wolves
4/5 - Clippers
4/11 - Blazers

Wolves
4/1 - Jazz
4/5 - Nuggets
4/11 - Nuggets

Nuggets
3/30 - Thunder
4/5 - Jazz
4/7 - Clippers
4/9 - Blazers
4/11 - Jazz

Clippers
3/30 - Blazers
4/3 - Spurs
4/5 - Jazz
4/7 - Nuggets
4/9 - Pelicans

Dex doing the Lord's work this thread. :toast

tholdren
03-21-2018, 08:39 PM
One of the few good threads I have read on st. Thanks dex

K...
03-21-2018, 10:38 PM
looking pretty grim. Everybody won tonight, hopefully the spurs finish their game on top otherwise they lose ground

Seventyniner
03-21-2018, 10:55 PM
Maybe not the right thread for this, but how interesting would things be if the 1-16 playoffs were in place this year? I know the unbalanced schedule makes this less meaningful.

Only 3 games in the loss column separate #7 OC from #14 Utah. And you would have the next 4 teams (Heat, Nuggets, Clippers, Bucks) scrambling for the last two playoff spots and trying desperately to climb to #14 to avoid the Warriors and Rockets in round 1. No cakewalk to the Finals for LeBron either, they would have to stay above water down the stretch just to get homecourt in round 1.

http://www.espn.com/nba/standings/_/group/league

K...
03-22-2018, 09:47 AM
Trailblazers (tiebreaker TBD, tied 1-1) - 14
Thunder (tiebreaker TBD, OKC leads 2-1) - 11
Pelicans (tiebreaker TBD - NOP leads 2-1) - 11
Jazz (Utah owns tiebreaker) - 10
Timberwolves (Spurs own tiebreaker) - 9
Nuggets (tiebreaker TBD, tied 2-2) - 8
Clippers (Spurs own tiebreaker) - 7

Ten games left, gotta root for Lakers over NO, and Dallas over jazz

Dex
03-23-2018, 05:38 PM
Spurs didn't get any help last night from Dallas or LA. However, a busy schedule on tap for today:

Notable games for tonight (3/23):

Jazz @ Spurs - Obviously the biggest game of the night, as it would be worth two points against Utah in the Magic Numbers race. Mitchell is proving to be a star and Gobert may be able to give LMA some trouble on the post, so this is a hard one to call. Spurs would greatly help their cause if they could keep it rolling here.

Clippers @ Pacers - Pacers have been playing some sneaky good ball lately and are trying for home court advantage in the playoffs. The Clippers, on the other hand, are trying to break out of a recent funk that has put them on the bottom of the playoff totem pole. Let's hope they stay funky.

Nuggets @ Wizards - Nuggets also find themselves on the outside looking in and are suddenly three games behind the Spurs in the loss column. Washington is coming off a loss on Wesneday and should be looking to bounce back.

Wolves @ Knicks - I'm not what is more surprising...how bad the Knicks are without Porzingis, or the fact that they are still only the 9th worst team record-wise. The tanking this year is on a whole 'nother level, and for that reason, the Wolves should have an easy win in Madison Square Garden.

Heat @ Thunder - OKC has been racking up wins ever since they added Corey Brewer to fill the defensive hole left by the Roberson injury. I believe they are 6-1 since that move, and Westbrook is padding his stats not only to wins but to another trip-dub season. However, Miami can surprise teams, so this may be one to keep an eye on.

Boston @ Blazers - Boston is still missing several key players, but that didn't stop them from shocking the Thunder a few days ago. Portland is one of the hottest teams in the league right now, but they have a hell of a schedule ahead of them.

Chinook
03-23-2018, 11:09 PM
Celtics doing all they can to help the Spurs. Dame with a stupid Manu-esque take-foul on the break.

Chinook
03-23-2018, 11:12 PM
:wow Da Fuck, Marcus?

spursistan
03-23-2018, 11:16 PM
"3rd seed bitches " still in play :lol

TheDoctor
03-23-2018, 11:19 PM
105-100 BOS 0:03 remaining

DPG21920
03-23-2018, 11:27 PM
Thanks BOS.

Dex
03-24-2018, 10:42 AM
Another great night for the Spurs...Spurs win while Clippers, Jazz, Blazers all lose.

Magic Numbers against teams on the bubble with 9 games left:
Trailblazers (tiebreaker TBD, tied 1-1) - 12
Thunder (tiebreaker TBD, OKC leads 2-1) - 10
Pelicans (tiebreaker TBD - NOP leads 2-1) - 10
Jazz (Utah owns tiebreaker) - 8
Timberwolves (Spurs own tiebreaker) - 8
Nuggets (tiebreaker TBD, tied 2-2) - 7
Clippers (Spurs own tiebreaker) - 5

On the slate for tonight (3/24):

Wolves @ Sixers - Should be the battle of the big men with KAT squaring off against Embiid. Let's hope the Wolves get processed.

Pelicans @ Rockets - New Orleans just seems to refuse to drop close games lately. Houston had an uncharacteristic bad shooting night on Thursday (first time in 70+ games Harden didn't hit a three), so if they progress to the mean, they should be able to help the Spurs out.

BillMc
03-24-2018, 10:48 AM
Another great night for the Spurs...Spurs win while Clippers, Jazz, Blazers all lose.

Wolves @ Sixers - Should be the battle of the big men with KAT squaring off against Embiid. Let's hope the Wolves get processed.

Pelicans @ Rockets - New Orleans just seems to refuse to drop close games lately. Houston had an uncharacteristic bad shooting night on Thursday (first time in 70+ games Harden didn't hit a three), so if they progress to the mean, they should be able to help the Spurs out.

Dex doing work. Thanks. man. :bobo

TheDoctor
03-24-2018, 10:53 AM

Indeed. Helluva of a job :tu

sasaint
03-24-2018, 11:02 AM

Thanks for undertaking this task. :toast

I think the Nuggets and Clip-jobs are done. I think we are in at least at #8.

Dex
03-24-2018, 11:18 AM

Indeed. Helluva of a job :tu

Thanks for undertaking this task. :toast

I think the Nuggets and Clip-jobs are done. I think we are in at least at #8.

:bobo

It's been a fun stretch. Good reason to watch some teams other than the Spurs.

spursistan
03-24-2018, 08:15 PM
Philly beat the Wolves and Rockets are halfway there while destroying the Pels in the process ...a good night of basketball :tu..

Barring a disaster, we should be safely in..I would rather have them get 3rd or 6th seed..

Leetonidas
03-24-2018, 08:30 PM
Spurs looking to be 5th by the end of the night :tu

K...
03-24-2018, 09:48 PM
. DTrailblazers (tiebreaker TBD, tied 1-1) - 12
Pelicans (tiebreaker TBD - NOP leads 2-1) - 9
Timberwolves (Spurs own tiebreaker) - 7

Slow nights, but here it is with Saturday's losses

ducks
03-25-2018, 10:06 AM
Gs vs jazz today
Portland vs thunder today
Spurs vs bucks today

Dex
03-25-2018, 12:33 PM
Gs vs jazz today
Portland vs thunder today
Spurs vs bucks today
ducks with the save for the lazy Dex.

Some Sundays you just have to sleep until noon. Today was one of those Sundays.

Too bad the Warriors are hobbled, but the Spurs already reaped benefits from that.

Portland vs. Thunder is a guaranteed win for the Spurs.

Early game against the Bucks...hopefully LMA comes to play and Spurs can keep the streak alive.

Dex
03-26-2018, 03:46 PM
Spurs didn't help themselves yesterday with their loss to the Bucks, Utah predictably beat the Warriors B-squad, and the Clippers blew out the Raptors. Here is the update after the Thunders loss to Portland.

Magic Numbers against teams on the bubble with 8 games left:
Thunder (tiebreaker TBD, OKC leads 2-1) - 9
Pelicans (tiebreaker TBD - NOP leads 2-1) - 9
Timberwolves (Spurs own tiebreaker) - 7

Tonight, Denver has a tough matchup against the Sixers, and the Wolves get another gimme-game against Memphis.

HarlemHeat37
03-26-2018, 09:21 PM
Hawks and Grizzlies winning at Utah and Minnesota in a week span:lol

tbdog
03-26-2018, 09:34 PM
Wolves lost to Memphis :O. You know what, they probably end up 7 and playing Warriors without Butler.

K...
03-26-2018, 10:26 PM
So assuming the Spurs don't tailspin it's a three way race for 456 .

YGWHI
03-26-2018, 10:48 PM
Great thread. :toast

Wiggins is so frustrating to watch...What a waste of talent. Butler isn't more talented than him but he wants to win badly, that's why Wolves miss him.

Dex
03-26-2018, 11:34 PM
Not unexpected, but always fun to say:

:lmao The Los Angeles Lakers have been eliminated from playoff contention! :lmao

YGWHI
03-27-2018, 12:26 AM

:lmao The Los Angeles Lakers have been eliminated from playoff contention! :lmao

Take that for data! Five seasons in a row without making playoffs... :bobo

TheDoctor
03-27-2018, 12:31 AM

https://media.giphy.com/media/aBO0HRxivfJug/giphy.gif

:lol

BillMc
03-27-2018, 02:57 AM

:lol:bobo

daledondale
03-27-2018, 08:14 AM

https://i.gifer.com/2pAq.gif

SpursforSix
03-27-2018, 10:23 AM

That should be their slogan going into next season.

Seventyniner
03-27-2018, 10:51 AM

Unexpected that it happened this late in the season.

Dex
03-27-2018, 01:35 PM

And people around here are running around like it's the end of the world because the Spurs aren't a top 3 seed.

One of the NBA's most storied franchises hasn't sniffed the playoffs in five years. I'd hate to see what this place would look like if that were the Spurs.

spurs10
03-27-2018, 01:41 PM
And people around here are running around like it's the end of the world because the Spurs aren't a top 3 seed.

One of the NBA's most storied franchises hasn't sniffed the playoffs in five years. I'd hate to see what this place would look like if that were the Spurs. Dex it wouldn't be a pretty picture!! :lol

Also this is the first time since God was a small child I've accessed ST on my laptop! Much mo bettah!

gambit1990
03-27-2018, 03:49 PM
That should be their slogan going into next season.

Dex
03-28-2018, 11:04 AM
Spurs have missed two straight chances to take control of these standings, and the picture looks more bleak now with Aldridge's injury.

Here are the updated numbers after losses by the Nuggets, Wolves, and Pelicans over the past couple days.

Magic Numbers against teams on the bubble with 7 games left:
Thunder (tiebreaker TBD, OKC leads 2-1) - 9
Pelicans (tiebreaker TBD - NOP leads 2-1) - 8
Timberwolves (Spurs own tiebreaker) - 6
Nuggets (tiebreaker TBD, tied 2-2) - 5

K...
03-28-2018, 12:16 PM
This is going to be more about if the Spurs can out compete the nuggets and clippers. Next two are automatic losses even if Aldridge comes back

Dex
03-28-2018, 12:19 PM
This is going to be more about if the Spurs can out compete the nuggets and clippers. Next two are automatic losses even if Aldridge comes back

Yep. You could maybe throw the Timberwolves into that mix as well, but they have a much easier schedule ahead.

That game against the Clippers is going to be a big one, and we still have to hope the Nuggets drop a few more.

Dex
03-30-2018, 10:22 AM
With the big win against the Thunder last night, the Spurs have put themselves back in the 4th seed. They still gotta keep their foot on the gas though, as 5-10 are still nipping at their heels.

Magic Numbers against teams on the bubble with 6 games left:
Trailblazers (tiebreaker TBD, tied 1-1) - 10
Thunder (tiebreaker TBD, tied 2-2) - 7
Pelicans (tiebreaker TBD - NOP leads 2-1) - 7
Jazz (Utah owns tiebreaker) - 6
Timberwolves (Spurs own tiebreaker) - 5
Nuggets (tiebreaker TBD, tied 2-2) - 4
Clippers (Spurs own tiebreaker) - 4

I believe the Spurs have also clinched the tiebreaker against the Thunder (via division record) if they were to end in a two-way tie. However, that would flip to winning percentage vs. tied teams in the case of multi-team tiebreaker (which seems entirely likely at this point), so I haven't incorporated that into the numbers.

Tonight is another busy schedule. The Pelicans have a national TV matchup against the Lebrons, the Wolves and Jazz have some cupcake games against the Mavericks and Grizzles (respectively), and the Spurs are guaranteed to get some help with both Nuggets vs. Thunder and Clippers vs. Blazers. Would be great to see Denver and LA drop another game and put themselves on the brink of playoff purgatory.

K...
03-30-2018, 11:45 AM
Thanks,

BillMc
03-30-2018, 11:52 AM
With the big win against the Thunder last night, the Spurs have put themselves back in the 4th seed. They still gotta keep their foot on the gas though, as 5-10 are still nipping at their heels.

Thunder (tiebreaker TBD, tied 2-2) - 7
Pelicans (tiebreaker TBD - NOP leads 2-1) - 7
Clippers (Spurs own tiebreaker) - 4

I believe the Spurs have also clinched the tiebreaker against the Thunder (via division record) if they were to end in a two-way tie. However, that would flip to winning percentage vs. tied teams in the case of multi-team tiebreaker (which seems entirely likely at this point), so I haven't incorporated that into the numbers.

Tonight is another busy schedule. The Pelicans have a national TV matchup against the Lebrons, the Wolves and Jazz have some cupcake games against the Mavericks and Grizzles (respectively), and the Spurs are guaranteed to get some help with both Nuggets vs. Thunder and Clippers vs. Blazers. Would be great to see Denver and LA drop another game and put themselves on the brink of playoff purgatory.

Dex doing work. :bobo

Seventyniner
03-30-2018, 11:53 AM
I thought division record only mattered when breaking ties between teams in the same division. Isn't conference record the 2nd tiebreaker between the Spurs and Thunder?

Dex
03-30-2018, 12:02 PM
I thought division record only mattered when breaking ties between teams in the same division. Isn't conference record the 2nd tiebreaker between the Spurs and Thunder?

You’re right. For some reason I spaced and was thinking the Thunder were in our division which is obviously not the case.

It does go to conference record, which is still up in the air.

Seventyniner
03-30-2018, 09:46 PM
(Edited) The Spurs are 18-12 against the East and the Thunder are 19-10 with one more game against Miami. Since the Thunder are guaranteed to have a better record against the East then in a tie with the Spurs they are guaranteed to have a worse record against the West. So I think the Spurs have clinched the tiebreaker with OC.

The same is true for the Pelicans. They finished their East schedule tonight at 21-9. Of course the Spurs would have to beat them in New Orleans in the season finale but that game basically decides the tiebreaker between those teams.

The Nuggets are 16-12 against the East with their next two games being against MIL and IND. If they win either one they will lose the tiebreaker with the Spurs. But if they lose one or both they are less likely to actually get that tie given that they are 3 games behind the Spurs with 6 left. The next tiebreaker is record against West playoff teams but I don't feel like adding all that up. If it ends up mattering it will likely be a 7th/8th or 8th/9th place tie anyway.

Since the Spurs have the tiebreaker with OC then I believe their magic number against the Thunder is 5. With tonight's loss the Thunder have 33 and the Spurs have 32, so the Spurs can drop one game and still finish in a tie. Then again we could have a multiway tie so it's probably safer to leave it at 6 for now.

Chinook
03-30-2018, 09:54 PM
Nugs doing the Spurs a solid. Might not need that tiebreaker with OC.

Edit: actually the Spurs are 18-12 against the East and the Thunder are 19-10 with one more game against Miami. Since the Thunder are guaranteed to have a better record against the East then in a tie with the Spurs they are guaranteed to have a worse record against the West. So I think the Spurs have clinched the tiebreaker with OC.

You're correct about how the tie-break works, if you needed any confirmation. All in all, it's been a pretty good day for the Spurs. Got OKC and NO to drop games. Didn't get the Wolves to lose, but that was the least important anyway. Hoping that Memphis and LAC can help the team out.

Dex
03-31-2018, 02:27 PM
(Edited) The Spurs are 18-12 against the East and the Thunder are 19-10 with one more game against Miami. Since the Thunder are guaranteed to have a better record against the East then in a tie with the Spurs they are guaranteed to have a worse record against the West. So I think the Spurs have clinched the tiebreaker with OC.

The same is true for the Pelicans. They finished their East schedule tonight at 21-9. Of course the Spurs would have to beat them in New Orleans in the season finale but that game basically decides the tiebreaker between those teams.

The Nuggets are 16-12 against the East with their next two games being against MIL and IND. If they win either one they will lose the tiebreaker with the Spurs. But if they lose one or both they are less likely to actually get that tie given that they are 3 games behind the Spurs with 6 left. The next tiebreaker is record against West playoff teams but I don't feel like adding all that up. If it ends up mattering it will likely be a 7th/8th or 8th/9th place tie anyway.

Since the Spurs have the tiebreaker with OC then I believe their magic number against the Thunder is 5. With tonight's loss the Thunder have 33 and the Spurs have 32, so the Spurs can drop one game and still finish in a tie. Then again we could have a multiway tie so it's probably safer to leave it at 6 for now.

Good stuff, Seventyniner. :tu

For all intents and purposes, the magic number against the Thunder is probably 5...but I'm going with 6 as well, since nothing is guaranteed until we know that there won't be a multiway tie.

Last night was an interesting one. Pelicans finally lost a close game. Denver beat OKC in overtime (although I would've preferred a Nuggets loss just to push them that much closer to the brink.) Surprisingly, Dallas almost gave the Wolves a run for their money. And with their loss to Portland, Clippers are pretty much scraping for playoff life at this point (and they also just lost Teodosic again).

Clippers also play the Nuggets in a week...so one of those guys are guaranteed another game in the loss column

Updated numbers:

Thunder (tiebreaker TBD, tied 2-2) - 6
Pelicans (tiebreaker TBD - NOP leads 2-1) - 6
Clippers (Spurs own tiebreaker) - 3

No games of consequence tonight. Hope everybody has a good Saturday and Happy Easter!

spurraider21
03-31-2018, 04:22 PM
at this point 4 seed is the goal

K...
04-01-2018, 08:32 PM
Thunder (tiebreaker TBD, tied 2-2) - 5

Jazz (Utah owns tiebreaker) - 5

Pelicans (tiebreaker TBD - NOP leads 2-1) - 4

Timberwolves (Spurs own tiebreaker) - 3

Nuggets (tiebreaker TBD, tied 2-2) - 3

Clippers (Spurs own tiebreaker) - 1

Glorious Easter the spurs rose from the 10th seed to nearly get back to 3...Sadly with five games left Portland isn't going to lose every game. The clippers are deadish. Nuggets still playing tonight, NO lost to thunder. Timberlake lost to jazz.

Tuesday thunder gsw, nuggs and pacers, blazers mavs, Lakers jazz, and. Clips spurs

Dex
04-01-2018, 09:01 PM
Milwaukee up big on Nuggets now. Looks like they will be down to 2 by the end of the night.

Spurs could clinch playoffs as soon as Wednesday...if they can actually pull their head out of their butts while playing on the road.

Russ
04-01-2018, 09:06 PM

And counting . . .

Jeannie Buss may have to rehire her brother -- she's running out of scapegoats.

Dex
04-01-2018, 09:32 PM
Well I jinxed the fuck out of that one. Nuggets just made three free throws with 2 ticks left on the clock to tie the game. Erased a 16 point deficit with 5 and a half minutes left.

Dex
04-01-2018, 09:46 PM
Epic choke job by the Bucks. Looks like the Nuggets will be staying at 3.

Seventyniner
04-01-2018, 10:12 PM
Clippers, Pelicans, Wolves lose.
Spurs, Thunder, Jazz, Nuggets (somehow), Blazers win.
Not a bad day.

tholdren
04-01-2018, 10:16 PM
Unexpected that it happened this late in the season.

Lavar ball?

ElNono
04-01-2018, 10:19 PM
If the Spurs beat the Clippers and Denver loses against Indiana on Tuesday, the Spurs are guaranteed a playoff spot, IIRC...

Seventyniner
04-01-2018, 10:42 PM
As mentioned earlier, I think the Nuggets' win over the Bucks means that the Spurs will have the tiebreaker over the Nuggets in a head-to-head tie. Though I really hope it doesn't come to that, as it would require the Spurs losing at least 3 of their last 5.

YGWHI
04-01-2018, 11:13 PM
And counting . . .

Jeannie Buss may have to rehire her brother -- she's running out of scapegoats.

The Lakers are like a bad GOT version where brothers kill each other...Can't wait to see their next bad move.

Mr. Body
04-01-2018, 11:29 PM
I don't see the Lakers making the playoffs any time soon. I guess they can sign Paul George and they'd have a shot, but the roster has so much crap on it.

K...
04-02-2018, 11:47 AM
I don't see the Lakers making the playoffs any time soon. I guess they can sign Paul George and they'd have a shot, but the roster has so much crap on it.

Our roster has so much trash too. The difference is mature coaching and an all Star pf. I could see the Lakers beat the clippers and nuggets to get the eighth spot. Especially with a veteran. Lonzo could mature into a real floor general that elevates their talent.

Mr. Body
04-02-2018, 02:35 PM
Our roster has so much trash too. The difference is mature coaching and an all Star pf. I could see the Lakers beat the clippers and nuggets to get the eighth spot. Especially with a veteran. Lonzo could mature into a real floor general that elevates their talent.

They don't have anyone close to in the same league as Aldridge. Paul George would be close, but not enough. Ball and Ingraham have been better than I expected, but there isn't a lot of winning culture there. They need to pull some more talent and somehow get it all to stick together.

wildbill2u
04-02-2018, 05:11 PM

I see both the Lakers and the Clippers making a strong run at Kwahi. Why not? They have a great history, California Dreaming, and tons of money, plus his homesickness for the area.

Chinook
04-03-2018, 03:34 AM
Denver currently holds the second tie-break over Utah, but they have not secured it yet. If this holds, then Utah cannot be a viable three-team ally to the Nuggets.

The Spurs will own the second tie-break against New Orleans if they can neutralize the first; if they don't win the second tie-break, it will mean they've lost the first. That currently means that the final game against the Pelicans is by far the most important of the remainder of the season. If the Spurs lose, then the Pelicans are a great ally for Denver.

If the Spurs win tonight, they will shut the door on LAC overtaking them. After that, both NO and Utah hold favorable positions over SA. While it would take a while to clinch a spot over these teams, their usefulness to Denver should run out much sooner.

Magic numbers:

West:

LAC - 1 (win tonight worth two points)
DEN - 3
MIN - 3
NOP - 4 (final game of season worth 3 points)
OKC - 4
UTH - 5
POR - 8 (4/7 game worth three points)

East:

MIA - 1
MKE - 2
WSH - 2
IND - 7
CLE - 7
PHL - 8

Everyone else is either uncatchable or already passed. Utah is by far the team's biggest competition for the fourth seed. They have an easy schedule, and are within one game of the Spurs. The saving grace is that their shitty division record is likely to keep them from winning any three-team tie-breaks. Only the Pelicans can help them there.

YGWHI
04-03-2018, 07:42 AM
Ball and Ingraham have been better than I expected, but there isn't a lot of winning culture there.

Ingraham is a big question to me. Is he some type of Wiggins guy? In a sense that Wiggins isn't exactly metting expectations this season...I know, Ingraham is too young but I have some doubts.

Mr. Body
04-03-2018, 10:53 AM
Ingraham is a big question to me. Is he some type of Wiggins guy? In a sense that Wiggins isn't exactly metting expectations this season...I know, Ingraham is too young but I have some doubts.

Good question. I think Wiggins absolutely sucks. I had no hopes for Ingraham but I've changed my mind a bit.

YGWHI
04-03-2018, 08:28 PM
I wonder if Blazers would put their best lineups to face the Spurs this week. I doubt they lose next two games so they would secure #3 before playing the Spurs.

That's why I can't see a scenario where Spurs lose #4 seed. After this mini-West Coast tour, they have two home games while OKC has to play Warriors and Rockets this week.

Good question. I think Wiggins absolutely sucks. I had no hopes for Ingraham but I've changed my mind a bit.
:tu
The good thing is he's too young with many physical tools to work.

Jdspur20
04-04-2018, 09:16 AM
So what’s the magic number now after loss to LAC?
Lots of basketball left with 4 games. None of them will be easy.

Dex
04-04-2018, 09:23 AM
So what’s the magic number now after loss to LAC?
Lots of basketball left with 4 games. None of them will be easy.

Thunder and Blazers lost while the Nuggets, Jazz, and Clippers all won.

Pretty sure this is where that leaves us:

Magic Numbers against teams on the bubble with 4 games left:
Trailblazers (tiebreaker TBD, tied 1-1) - 7
Thunder (tiebreaker TBD, tied 2-2) - 3

Seventyniner
04-04-2018, 10:10 AM
Remaining schedules:

Blazers: @HOU, @SA, @DEN, vs UTA. Brutal, and Lillard has a severe ankle sprain that will likely keep him out of all 4 games. Their hold on a top 4 seed isn't very safe even with a 3-game cushion in the loss column.
Jazz: vs LAC, @LAL, vs GS, @POR. Not too bad and the Jazz are red hot. They should finish 3rd or 4th.
Spurs: @LAL, vs POR, vs SAC, @NO. Only one tough game, the Spurs are playing great at home and get the Blazers without Lillard. The Spurs shouldn't drop to 6th but might have a hard time getting above 5th.
Pelicans: vs MEM, @PHO, @GS, @LAC, vs SA. The Warriors, like the Rockets, are not yet resting everyone even with seeding locked up. The Clippers likely won't have anything to play for by the time that matchup happens, so 3-1 in the first four of those sounds right. That last game will be YUGE for both teams.
Thunder: @HOU, Mia, vs MEM. The Heat have a playoff spot locked up but can't crack the top 4. They might actually semi-tank to avoid Cleveland in round 1. The Rockets have been up and down but Harden is still playing just about every game so the Thunder should be underdogs in that game.
Wolves: @DEN, @LAL, vs MEM, vs DEN. Those games with Denver will be dogfights and if either team loses both matchups it will probably mean the 9th seed.
Nuggets: vs MIN, @LAC, vs POR, @MIN. See above.
Clippers: @UTA, vs DEN, vs NO, vs LAL. Last night's loss notwithstanding there isn't much to worry about here. They should be eliminated from playoff contention by the end of the week. They can be a serious spoiler though.

Utah and Portland should get the 3 and 4 seeds in some order. The Spurs shouldn't fall below 6th given their schedule, though another loss to the Lakers would be brutal. I fully expect them to win the two home games but drop the season finale.

Dex
04-04-2018, 10:28 AM
Remaining schedules:

Blazers: @HOU, @SA, @DEN, vs UTA. Brutal, and Lillard has a severe ankle sprain that will likely keep him out of all 4 games. Their hold on a top 4 seed isn't very safe even with a 3-game cushion in the loss column.
Jazz: vs LAC, @LAL, vs GS, @POR. Not too bad and the Jazz are red hot. They should finish 3rd or 4th.
Spurs: @LAL, vs POR, vs SAC, @NO. Only one tough game, the Spurs are playing great at home and get the Blazers without Lillard. The Spurs shouldn't drop to 6th but might have a hard time getting above 5th.
Pelicans: vs MEM, @PHO, @GS, @LAC, vs SA. The Warriors, like the Rockets, are not yet resting everyone even with seeding locked up. The Clippers likely won't have anything to play for by the time that matchup happens, so 3-1 in the first four of those sounds right. That last game will be YUGE for both teams.
Thunder: @HOU, Mia, vs MEM. The Heat have a playoff spot locked up but can't crack the top 4. They might actually semi-tank to avoid Cleveland in round 1. The Rockets have been up and down but Harden is still playing just about every game so the Thunder should be underdogs in that game.
Wolves: @DEN, @LAL, vs MEM, vs DEN. Those games with Denver will be dogfights and if either team loses both matchups it will probably mean the 9th seed.
Clippers: @UTA, vs DEN, vs NO, vs LAL. Last night's loss notwithstanding there isn't much to worry about here. They should be eliminated from playoff contention by the end of the week. They can be a serious spoiler though.

Utah and Portland should get the 3 and 4 seeds in some order. The Spurs shouldn't fall below 6th given their schedule, though another loss to the Lakers would be brutal. I fully expect them to win the two home games but drop the season finale.

Portland's schedule just got harder with Lillard getting hurt.

If the Spurs hadn't pulled another fourth quarter chokejob against the Clippers, 3rd seed could have been a real possibility.

BillMc
04-04-2018, 11:02 AM
Thunder and Blazers lost while the Nuggets, Jazz, and Clippers all won.

Pretty sure this is where that leaves us:

Magic Numbers against teams on the bubble with 4 games left:
Trailblazers (tiebreaker TBD, tied 1-1) - 7

Remaining schedules:

Thunder: @HOU, Mia (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=48241), vs MEM. The Heat have a playoff spot locked up but can't crack the top 4. They might actually semi-tank to avoid Cleveland in round 1. The Rockets have been up and down but Harden is still playing just about every game so the Thunder should be underdogs in that game.

Nice work guys. 5th seed here we come.

Ice009
04-04-2018, 11:10 AM
Spurs need home court in round one to have any chance in he## of winning a first round series. Even if they do get home court, if they lose one home game, they're done in that series too.

I can't believe how pathetic they've been on the road. Winning home games against great teams tells me it's not because they lack talent that they're losing all these road games, or even missing a closer as they're doing OK at home without Kawhi. It's pretty much all mental. They really are showing that they have no mental toughness whatsoever.

gambit1990
04-04-2018, 11:12 AM
get over it ...

cjw
04-05-2018, 12:16 AM
If Spurs aren’t going to win 2 of their final 3 after this debacle, they’d better hope the Wolves-Nuggets don’t split and one of those teams drops both games and falls out of contention.

Three team tiebreakers can come into play here too, so need to start thinking about those.

K...
04-05-2018, 03:30 PM
Today we have rockets blazers... Clippers jazz, and Timberwolves v nuggets.

SAGirl
04-05-2018, 09:19 PM
Pls update this after. Magic number stuff is vexing me.
Spurs could have won on e of the games and taken care of business but they are currently that challenged. (Still can't get over how poor Tony has been pkaying)... A few good minutes from him swings those games....

YGWHI
04-05-2018, 10:01 PM
Portland's schedule just got harder with Lillard getting hurt.

If the Spurs hadn't pulled another fourth quarter chokejob against the Clippers, 3rd seed could have been a real possibility.

Agree. I thought Blazers would beat Mavs, with #3 secured, just put the bench agaist us next game. But they lost their last two games...Spurs 3rd seed is still possible.

#3 or #4..This Spurs team needs HCA in first round desperately...

K...
04-06-2018, 07:53 AM
Trailblazers (tiebreaker TBD, tied 1-1) - 6
Timberwolves (Spurs own tiebreaker) - 2
Clippers (Spurs own tiebreaker) - 0

3 games left for los spurs

pelikan/suns and Wolves/lakers today.

Nugs, clips and houston, thunder, and pelikan warriors...wooh what a slate of games for us, oh and a likely first round match at this point, spurs at blazers

Jdspur20
04-06-2018, 09:26 AM
So what scenario would the spurs fall to 9th?

MB3//
04-06-2018, 09:39 AM
I think in order to fall to 9th, the Spurs would have to go 1-2 while the wolves win out and the nuggets go 2-1 with their only loss being against the wolves.

noles1983
04-06-2018, 09:53 AM
One and done this year, doesnt matter the seeding. Thanks Kawhi you beta faggot.

Dex
04-06-2018, 03:50 PM
I think in order to fall to 9th, the Spurs would have to go 1-2 while the wolves win out and the nuggets go 2-1 with their only loss being against the wolves.

Shades of 2015...only worse. Spurs could likely have a must-win final game against the Pelicans...and both teams could be playing for a playoff spot.

cjw
04-06-2018, 10:34 PM
Lakers up 10 on the Wolves late in the 2nd quarter. If the Lakers win, that leaves the Spurs clinching a playoff spot with one more win or Wolves loss.

cjw
04-07-2018, 10:21 PM
No help tonight, but Spurs stayed at 34 losses and either Minnesota or Denver (or both) will get to 36 losses. Win one of the final two and the Spurs are in the playoffs.

Should they lose both games, Spurs are 2-1 against the Wolves so would win the tiebreaker and 2-2 against the Nuggets. Spurs and Nuggets would also have identical conference records, so it would come down to better record against teams eligible for the playoffs (including any tied). Would need to dig deeper to figure this out.

If a three way tie, Spurs would be 4-3 in common games, so would make the playoffs. Wolves likely miss out.

ElNono
04-07-2018, 10:23 PM
If the Wolves beat Denver, we're definitely in...

HarlemHeat37
04-07-2018, 10:24 PM
IIRC, Portland hasn't clinched the 3 seed yet, which means they won't rest anybody against Denver..

Even when the Spurs were actually a good road team, they still struggled in New Orleans..can't imagine how they could win there with this year's embarrassing road form..

Mr. Body
04-07-2018, 10:25 PM
Fucking insane the Spurs had to beat Portland in their 80th game of the season to keep their playoff hopes alive. And they're not close to .500.

BillMc
What's the highest seed we can realistically get? 4?

SAGirl
Thanks for the updates.

Keepin' it real
04-07-2018, 10:30 PM
Utah wins out and they get the 3 seed.

HarlemHeat37
04-07-2018, 10:40 PM
Ugh, the 7-8 seed scenario seems likely IMO.. I'd rather miss the playoffs than get embarrassed by the Warriors or Rockets..

Just couldn't hold 1 lead against either the Clippers or Lakers, that's all they needed to do..

daslicer
04-07-2018, 10:43 PM
Ugh, the 7-8 seed scenario seems likely IMO.. I'd rather miss the playoffs than get embarrassed by the Warriors or Rockets..

Just couldn't hold 1 lead against either the Clippers or Lakers, that's all they needed to do..

Agreed I hate both teams and their fan bases. I rather not give them the satisfaction of beating the Spurs.

tholdren
04-07-2018, 11:07 PM

Typical crybaby. Go away

YGWHI
04-07-2018, 11:08 PM
#7-8 ?? Nah...Just 2 games remaining, one in SA against a non-playoff team.

Spurs getting some 4-6 is the most likely scenario.

MultiTroll
04-07-2018, 11:44 PM
Why not go for 7th?
A Warriors team minus the head Twinky and Spurs have a shot.

cjw
04-07-2018, 11:52 PM
Why not go for 7th?
A Warriors team minus the head Twinky and Spurs have a shot.

Win against the Kings and the Spurs will have a lot of control over who they play in round 1.

And the only way they beat the Warriors is if Kawhi were back. Jazz, Blazers, Thunder, Pels are all much better matchups than GS or Hou. Minnesota and Denver will not be first round matchups.

cd98
04-08-2018, 01:05 AM
Agreed I hate both teams and their fan bases. I rather not give them the satisfaction of beating the Spurs.

Don’t take it too hard. We’ve been beating up those franchises for the most part for the last 20 years.

MannyIsGod
04-08-2018, 01:10 AM

Its a no lose situation. We lose to the Rockets, who fucking cares? We didn't have Leonard. But if we win? Its fucking epic. And the Pop D'Antoni edge is nothing to be dimished. Don't get me wrong, I think they'd win 4 out of 5 times but we're playing with house money.

This is a pretty bitch post, TBH.

Dex
04-08-2018, 11:15 AM
Been a busy weekend, so just now catching up.

To begin:

:lol The Los Angeles Clippers have been eliminated from playoff contention! :lol

They had that coming after 2015.

As for the Spurs...man, they have been confusing as shit. In the past 7 days, they have completely discombobulated the 1st-place Rockets, lost two road games against the free-falling Clippers and lottery Lakers, then bounced back for a definitive victory over the Trailblazers who are scrapping for position. It's hard to believe that this team is really that different at home than they are on the road...but I guess that's what happens when you throw together LMA (who has been awesome, but not known for his killer instinct) and a bunch of spare parts.

This should be our updated numbers...without taking into account multi-team ties, because ain't nobody got time for that.

Magic Numbers against teams on the bubble with 2 games left:
Jazz (Utah owns tiebreaker) - 4
Trailblazers (Spurs own tiebreaker) - 3
Pelicans (tiebreaker TBD - NOP leads 2-1) - 3
Thunder (tiebreaker TBD, tied 2-2) - 2
Nuggets (tiebreaker TBD, tied 2-2) - 2
Timberwolves (Spurs own tiebreaker) - 1

With one more win, the Spurs guarantee themselves a playoff spot.

Amazingly, the third seed isn't out of reach...but Spurs need to win their last two games while Jazz lose 2 and Blazers lose 1....so it's pretty unlikely.

Right now, it's looking like we will end up anywhere between 4-7...but there is still business to be taken care of. Just win the game against the Kings, and then let the cards fall where they may.

BillMc
04-08-2018, 11:48 AM

To begin:

:lol The Los Angeles Clippers have been eliminated from playoff contention! :lol

As for the Spurs...man, they have been confusing as shit. In the past 7 days, they have completely discombobulated the 1st-place Rockets, lost two road games against the free-falling Clippers and lottery Lakers, then bounced back for a definitive victory over the Trailblazers who are scrapping for position. It's hard to believe that this team is really that different at home than they are on the road...but I guess that's what happens when you throw together LMA (who has been awesome, but not known for his killer instinct) and a bunch of spare parts.

This should be our updated numbers...without taking into account multi-team ties, because ain't nobody got time for that.

Amazingly, the third seed isn't out of reach...but Spurs need to win their last two games while Jazz lose 2 and Blazers lose 1....so it's pretty unlikely.

Right now, it's looking like we will end up anywhere between 4-7...but there is still business to be taken care of. Just win the game against the Kings, and then let the cards fall where they may.

Thanks for keeping this up, man.

YGWHI
04-08-2018, 03:30 PM

To begin:

I would be lost without your seeding & tiebreakers work. Thanks!!

TDTPMG21920
04-08-2018, 09:56 PM
So if OKC loses against the Heat and the Spurs beat the Kings SA can't finish any lower than sixth even if they lose at New Orleans. Is this correct?

Dex
04-09-2018, 11:07 AM
So if OKC loses against the Heat and the Spurs beat the Kings SA can't finish any lower than sixth even if they lose at New Orleans. Is this correct?

In that case Thunder and Wolves would both be out (as far as the Spurs are concerned), and it would still come down to tiebreaker against Nuggets. I believe the Spurs own that tiebreaker in a H2H tie so yes, that would land them in 6th...but a multiway tie could shake things out different.

SpursforSix
04-09-2018, 11:13 AM
Its a no lose situation. We lose to the Rockets, who fucking cares? We didn't have Leonard. But if we win? Its fucking epic. And the Pop D'Antoni edge is nothing to be dimished. Don't get me wrong, I think they'd win 4 out of 5 times but we're playing with house money.

This is a pretty bitch post, TBH.

100% I'd rather catch the Rockets in the first round before they have a chance to get rolling. Not expecting a championship here but knocking the Rockets out would feel damn good.

Dex
04-09-2018, 11:16 AM
100% I'd rather catch the Rockets in the first round before they have a chance to get rolling. Not expecting a championship here but knocking the Rockets out would feel damn good.

Same. Playing spoiler against Rockets or Warriors would make this a successful season.

hater
04-09-2018, 11:27 AM
That loss vs Lakers without Gonzo is gonna haunt us nigas

Spurs will be 7 seed and lose in 5 vs showers

Chinook
04-09-2018, 03:38 PM
In that case Thunder and Wolves would both be out (as far as the Spurs are concerned), and it would still come down to tiebreaker against Nuggets. I believe the Spurs own that tiebreaker in a H2H tie so yes, that would land them in 6th...but a multiway tie could shake things out different.

Denver owns the H2H tie-break over the Spurs, which is why SA hasn't already clinched.

OKC does not stack up well with SA in terms of potential multi-team ties -- they'd need to recruit Utah and/or New Orleans, and if NO doesn't beat the Spurs on Wednesday they're not in position to help anybody.

Minny stacks up great in multi-team ties. For example, in a five-way tie with all SA, Utah, OKC and NO, the Wolves would get the fourth seed (then Utah, SA, OKC and NO in that order)

NO is shit in multi-team ties. If SA loses tonight but wins Wednesday, the Pelicans are pretty much the eighth seed.

Utah controls its own destiny for the third-seed. It might be best to let them get it, as only OKC can beat them in a straight tie-break, and only Minny can beat them in three-way ties that don't involve the Thunder.

So here's what I'd want: SA wins out; Utah wins out; Denver wins out; Minny splits; NO loses out

That should set up this finish

Houston
GS
Utah
SA
Portland
Denver
Minny
OKC

HOU/OKC -- GS/Minn -- Utah/DEN -- SA/POR

All quite possible, but it would have to start tonight.

Dex
04-09-2018, 03:51 PM
Denver owns the H2H tie-break over the Spurs, which is why SA hasn't already clinched.

OKC does not stack up well with SA in terms of potential multi-team ties -- they'd need to recruit Utah and/or New Orleans, and if NO doesn't beat the Spurs on Wednesday they're not in position to help anybody.

Minny stacks up great in multi-team ties. For example, in a five-way tie with all SA, Utah, OKC and NO, the Wolves would get the fourth seed (then Utah, SA, OKC and NO in that order)

NO is shit in multi-team ties. If SA loses tonight but wins Wednesday, the Pelicans are pretty much the eighth seed.

Utah controls its own destiny for the third-seed. It might be best to let them get it, as only OKC can beat them in a straight tie-break, and only Minny can beat them in three-way ties that don't involve the Thunder.

So here's what I'd want: SA wins out; Utah wins out; Denver wins out; Minny splits; NO loses out

Houston
GS
Utah
SA
Portland
Denver
Minny
OKC

:toast Thanks Chinook.

diceman
04-09-2018, 05:21 PM

Houston
GS
Utah
SA
Portland
Denver
Minny
OKC

There is no way Denver can win out and Minnesota split as they play each other the last game of the season.......

Chinook
04-09-2018, 05:27 PM
There is no way Denver can win out and Minnesota split as they play each other the last game of the season.......

Um... if Minny wins today then loses to Denver, that's a split.

BillMc
04-09-2018, 05:30 PM

Houston
GS
Utah
SA
Portland
Denver
Minny
OKC

Cheers man. :bobo Thanks.

ElNono
04-09-2018, 05:35 PM
If the Wolves lose any of their remaining games, we clinch...

diceman
04-09-2018, 05:45 PM
Um... if Minny wins today then loses to Denver, that's a split.

You are correct, and I need to read better..........:bang

Dex
04-09-2018, 10:38 PM
:elephant The San Antonio Spurs have clinched a playoff berth! :elephant

BillMc
04-09-2018, 10:48 PM
So, do you think Pop wil try and go for the win in New Orleans. Or does he rest LMA, Manu and some others and give them a good break before the playoffs? Don't put it past him.

BillMc
04-09-2018, 10:51 PM
:elephant The San Antonio Spurs have clinched a playoff berth! :elephant
https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-P05__0Blr60/V9Xkq0QdIMI/AAAAAAAAzyI/slY0tBWZqy4v5euvjgegya8SJ8fvXGZrgCK4B/s640/Genevieve-Dance.gif

MoSpur02
04-09-2018, 10:52 PM
I think it would be a a mistake to rest those guys because they're in a nice little rhythm. Especially Gay.

Robz4000
04-09-2018, 10:53 PM
So, do you think Pop wil try and go for the win in New Orleans. Or does he rest LMA, Manu and some others and give them a good break before the playoffs? Don't put it past him.

If they lose they meet the Dubs in the first round so he might want it that way.

TXstbobcat
04-09-2018, 10:59 PM

Dont think so. Won’t matter though since we never win in New Orleans. Thank Christ we clinched it tonight.

YGWHI
04-09-2018, 11:22 PM
Blazers lost to Denver tonight. They weren't coasting, Lillard and McCollum, both guys played 40 minutes, they really wanted this game.

They're looking horrible...We can't face them in 1st round 'cause they're losing every f*cking game? It's not fair.

#GoRipCity vs Utah next game.

TheDoctor
04-09-2018, 11:25 PM
https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-P05__0Blr60/V9Xkq0QdIMI/AAAAAAAAzyI/slY0tBWZqy4v5euvjgegya8SJ8fvXGZrgCK4B/s640/Genevieve-Dance.gif

I heard some bells coming :toast

BillMc
04-09-2018, 11:30 PM
I heard some bells coming :toast
:lol:toast

Obviously I only selected this image because the individual celebrating is wearing silver and black. (Or maybe white and black, who cares). It enlivens the Spurs spirit in all of us.

Chinook
04-09-2018, 11:32 PM
Because OKC won tonight, we're rooting for a Jazz loss tomorrow. Right now, the Spurs are shut out of the third seed but can get the four seed in the following scenarios:

1) Utah wins out, SA beats NO and OKC somehow loses to Memphis -- Spurs would get the four-seed outright by having the fourth-best record in the West

2) Utah loses out, SA beats NO -- Utah and Portland don't factor into tie-breaks, meaning SA beats OKC through conference record

3) Utah loses tomorrow but beats Portland, OKC still finds a way to lose to Memphis -- OKC doesn't get to fuck up the tie-break like they're currently doing, so SA, Utah and Portland tie for 3-5, with the Jazz getting 3, SA 4 and Portland 5.

As you can see, OKC is really mucking things up. They really can't improve their place much by winning unless teams ahead of them lose, so maybe they'll sit guys. Maybe they'll have one of their awful games. But either way, Utah losing tomorrow would drastically leave open the bottom two scenarios.

As far as likely opponents from each scenario, Portland can't be worse than fifth at this point. So in 1) and 3), the Spurs would get the Blazers. In 2) The Spurs would get either the 34-loss Thunder or the winner of the Minny/Denver game if OKC loses. Even in that scenario, I'd prefer OKC lose.

BillMc
04-09-2018, 11:36 PM
Because OKC won tonight, we're rooting for a Jazz loss tomorrow. Right now, the Spurs are shut out of the third seed but can get the four seed in the following scenarios:

1) Utah wins out, SA beats NO and OKC somehow loses to Memphis -- Spurs would get the four-seed outright by having the fourth-best record in the West

2) Utah loses out, SA beats NO -- Utah and Portland don't factor into tie-breaks, meaning SA beats OKC through conference record

3) Utah loses tomorrow but beats Portland, OKC still finds a way to lose to Memphis -- OKC doesn't get to fuck up the tie-break like they're currently doing, so SA, Utah and Portland tie for 3-5, with the Jazz getting 3, SA 4 and Portland 5.

As you can see, OKC is really mucking things up. They really can't improve their place much by winning unless teams ahead of them lose, so maybe they'll sit guys. Maybe they'll have one of their awful games. But either way, Utah losing tomorrow would drastically leave open the bottom two scenarios.

As far as likely opponents from each scenario, Portland can't be worse than fifth at this point. So in 1) and 3), the Spurs would get the Blazers. In 2) The Spurs would get either the 34-loss Thunder or the winner of the Minny/Denver game if OKC loses. Even in that scenario, I'd prefer OKC lose.

Thanks for doing this. What are the likely scenarios if we assume a loss at NO? Can we somehow do better than the 7th seed in that case?

Play Boban
04-09-2018, 11:36 PM

YGWHI
04-09-2018, 11:41 PM
Since a win on the road against Pels is not likely to happen, I'll root for Blazers. I don't care about a higher seed, nor HCA against them.

Just want Blazers in first round. Doesn't matter how.

Chinook
04-10-2018, 12:07 AM
Thanks for doing this. What are the likely scenarios if we assume a loss at NO? Can we somehow do better than the 7th seed in that case?

I don't think so. SA is good at most one-on-one tie-breaks, but they are terrible in most multi-team situations. Seventh seems to be their ceiling, with eight as the most likely.

BillMc
04-10-2018, 12:14 AM
I don't think so. SA is good at most one-on-one tie-breaks, but they are terrible in most multi-team situations. Seventh seems to be their ceiling, with eight as the most likely.

Feared that. Thanks Then the team's gonna have to pull 'em up and try to win in Orleans.

ElNono
04-10-2018, 12:15 AM
A loss at NO will very likely put the Spurs at 7th seed if Wolves beat Denver, or 8th seed if Denver beats the Wolves, provided that OKC beats Memphis at home, which seems likely.

If OKC loses, then the Spurs could leap to the 6th seed, again, provided that the Wolves beat Denver.

ElNono
04-10-2018, 12:19 AM
Actually, what's the head to head with OKC? If the Spurs don't own that tiebreaker, it comes down to Division win %, and I think we lose there.

ElNono
04-10-2018, 12:20 AM
Although the Spurs are currently above OKC on a multi-team tiebreaker...

Chinook
04-10-2018, 12:21 AM
A loss at NO will very likely put the Spurs at 7th seed if Wolves beat Denver, or 8th seed if Denver beats the Wolves, provided that OKC beats Memphis at home, which seems likely.

If OKC loses, then the Spurs could leap to the 6th seed, again, provided that the Wolves beat Denver.

Nah, because the Wolves would actually jump SA and OKC in a three-way tie. Minny would have an H2H of 4-3, SA 4-3 and OKC 3-5. OKC would get the eighth seed, and Minny and SA would move on to the next tie-break of conference record, which Minny wins going away.

Spurtacular
04-10-2018, 12:21 AM
Damn; good that the Spurs won tonight. T-Wolves and Nuggets weren't doing us any favors.

Chinook
04-10-2018, 12:23 AM
Actually, what's the head to head with OKC? If the Spurs don't own that tiebreaker, it comes down to Division win %, and I think we lose there.

Comes down to conference record because SA and OKC aren't in the same division. The Spurs have that over the Thunder.

Although the Spurs are currently above OKC on a multi-team tiebreaker...

Some of them, but not all. OKC is the only (relevant) team to win a series with Utah this season, and that gives them some wiggle room over SA if those three teams end up in a tie.

ElNono
04-10-2018, 12:25 AM
Nah, because the Wolves would actually jump SA and OKC in a three-way tie. Minny would have an H2H of 4-3, SA 4-3 and OKC 3-5. OKC would get the eighth seed, and Minny and SA would move on to the next tie-break of conference record, which Minny wins going away.

Thanks. Spurs just have a terrible conference record, tbh

Chinook
04-10-2018, 02:38 AM

Incidentally, I find a lot of this irrelevant right now. If SA wins and Portland loses, then SA has HCA in the first round no matter what OKC and Utah do. While everything I said above is true for seeding, HCA is reevaluated after the bracket is established. This means that even if Portland gets the four-seed and SA five, SA's H2H win over Portland gives them HCA in that series. The same would be true for OKC and Utah. If all four of those teams ended up tied, the first games of the opening round would be (3) Jazz AT (6) Thunder and (4) Blazers AT (5) Spurs.

More at: http://www.nba.com/2015/news/09/08/nba-to-seed-conference-playoff-teams-by-record/ (https://www.quora.com/How-is-the-home-court-advantage-determined-in-the-NBA-playoffs)

Dex
04-10-2018, 10:35 AM
:lol:toast

Obviously I only selected this image because the individual celebrating is wearing silver and black. (Or maybe white and black, who cares). It enlivens the Spurs spirit in all of us.

I just noticed she is wearing clothes. :lol

bklynspursfan
04-10-2018, 10:38 AM
This is pretty cool.. I thought we still had a shot at HCA but guess not

https://www.lucidchart.com/documents/view/4fbc9cd8-5124-05c3-a2c3-5bcd0a004d18/0

SAGirl
04-10-2018, 10:44 AM
Go for the win. Those undermanned rest games end up in injuries for others in the team anyways.

BillMc
04-10-2018, 10:49 AM
I just noticed she is wearing clothes. :lol

BillMc
04-10-2018, 10:49 AM
Go for the win. Those undermanned rest games end up in injuries for others in the team anyways.

I think they will though Pop may throw in the towel early if NO gets a big lead.

FvckMavs
04-10-2018, 10:55 AM

https://www.lucidchart.com/documents/view/4fbc9cd8-5124-05c3-a2c3-5bcd0a004d18/0

Looks like we will either get Blazers or Rockets.

BillMc
04-10-2018, 10:55 AM

That was really interesting. Thanks for posting.

So, in short. If Spurs beat NO they will play the Blazers (without homecourt, either as the 5th seed or 6th seed, but both combs result in a matchup with Portland). If Spurs lose they will play the Rockets. Makes it all kind of simple.

Dingle Barry
04-10-2018, 11:17 AM

So, in short. If Spurs beat NO they will play the Blazers (without homecourt, either as the 5th seed or 6th seed, but both combs result in a matchup with Portland). If Spurs lose they will play the Rockets. Makes it all kind of simple.

Not quite. Still depends upon Den/Min and Utah/Portland outcomes. (Spurs/Pels show up at two spots on chart).

BillMc
04-10-2018, 11:23 AM
Not quite. Still depends upon Den/Min and Utah/Portland outcomes.

Not according to that chart. Take a look. All matchups result in Spurs vs Blazers or SPurs vs Rockets. The Utah/Portland result can only affect whether the Spurs are playing Portland as a 6 vs 3 matchup or a 5 vs 4 matchup.

Dingle Barry
04-10-2018, 11:27 AM
Not according to that chart. Take a look. All matchups result in Spurs vs Blazers or SPurs vs Rockets. The Utah/Portland result can only affect whether the Spurs are playing Portland as a 6 vs 3 matchup or a 5 vs 4 matchup.
No, look closer. Spurs can lose and play Portland. (If Wolves and Jazz win).

But you're correct in that it's Houston or Portland.

BillMc
04-10-2018, 11:31 AM
No, look closer. Spurs can lose and play Portland.

But you're correct in that it's Houston or Portland.

Yes, you're right on that.

bklynspursfan
04-10-2018, 11:34 AM

No prob..

Matt from CBS Sports I think wrote this and it assumes OKC beats Memphis. He deleted the tweet so wondering if he messed something up :lol

TDomination
04-10-2018, 11:35 AM

Cool chart.
Well based on what chinook posted, if we end up at 5 vs blazers 4 but with identical records, our head to head would give us home court

Seventyniner
04-10-2018, 11:49 AM
Looks like we will either get Blazers or Rockets.

Wow, that's crazy given all the tied teams and scenarios. Just waiting for Chinook (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=37557) to verify that the chart is actually correct. In particular, the Thunder/Grizz game isn't even on the chart, implying that its outcome doesn't matter. That seems very strange since OC is right there in the tiebreak jumble.

Homecourt against the Blazers is probably the difference between a series win and a series loss. The team with HCA in that series wins it in 7 imo.

I think the Spurs lose to Houston in 5 if it comes to that.

HarlemHeat37
04-10-2018, 12:04 PM
Playing the Warriors would be fine..it would be boring basketball, since they're unwatchable without Curry and the Spurs are obviously disgusting to watch nowadays:lol

They're somewhat vulnerable, though..Draymond will start trying again in the playoffs, but their success without Curry depends on whether Iguodala and Livingston have been coasting, rather than being washed..

Spurs' won't beat them, but it wouldn't be shocking if they pushed it to 6..

Houston would be a massacre IMO..they won't coast, at all, their organization hates the Spurs, especially after last year's game 6 embarrassment..I would expect at least 3 blowout wins in their favor and posters will bump my anti-Paul posts:lol

Ice009
04-10-2018, 12:24 PM
The Spurs need the Wolves to win for a start, then the Jazz to win. That's the best case for them if they lose to NO. That's if that chart is correct.

bklynspursfan
04-10-2018, 12:34 PM

Appears he did make an error lol

First comment it appears he had Minny with the tie breaker over us (?)

SAGirl
04-10-2018, 12:35 PM
Playing the Warriors would be fine..it would be boring basketball, since they're unwatchable without Curry and the Spurs are obviously disgusting to watch nowadays:lol

They're somewhat vulnerable, though..Draymond will start trying again in the playoffs, but their success without Curry depends on whether Iguodala and Livingston have been coasting, rather than being washed..

Spurs' won't beat them, but it wouldn't be shocking if they pushed it to 6..

Houston would be a massacre IMO..they won't coast, at all, their organization hates the Spurs, especially after last year's game 6 embarrassment..I would expect at least 3 blowout wins in their favor and posters will bump my anti-Paul posts:lol
Wait until Danny and Tony bounce back from the respective shooting slumps and go blazing hot in an Indian summer playoff series:lol, coupled with vintage Manu, hungry wolf Rudy, Kyle has played them well, Dijon maybe thinks he's playing against LeBron and rises up, LaMarcus seeks a mini redemption tour... etc . :lmaoTime to be homer here. gSW here we go!!!!! Just need some hot shooting other than the usual.
:flag:

BillMc
04-10-2018, 12:38 PM

Appears he did make an error lol

First comment it appears he had Minny with the tie breaker over us (?)

http://www.azquotes.com/picture-quotes/quote-i-guess-i-wouldn-t-believe-in-anything-anymore-if-it-weren-t-for-my-lucky-astrology-steve-martin-46-7-0719.jpg

Chinook
04-10-2018, 01:23 PM
Wow, that's crazy given all the tied teams and scenarios. Just waiting for Chinook (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=37557) to verify that the chart is actually correct. In particular, the Thunder/Grizz game isn't even on the chart, implying that its outcome doesn't matter. That seems very strange since OC is right there in the tiebreak jumble.

Homecourt against the Blazers is probably the difference between a series win and a series loss. The team with HCA in that series wins it in 7 imo.

I think the Spurs lose to Houston in 5 if it comes to that.

OKC doesn't actually affect the Spurs' potential HCA against Portland. If SA wins and Portland loses, than either SA would be the four-seed with HCA over the Blazers, or they'd be the five-seed also with HCA over the Blazers. The Thunder game is critical to seeding in all scenarios, though.

bklynspursfan
04-10-2018, 01:35 PM
http://www.azquotes.com/picture-quotes/quote-i-guess-i-wouldn-t-believe-in-anything-anymore-if-it-weren-t-for-my-lucky-astrology-steve-martin-46-7-0719.jpg

Fwiw here's an updated version

spurs10
04-10-2018, 01:56 PM
Hmmm....so there are no or only long shots at having HC even if things go our way....I thought if Jazz beat the Blazers and we win we would hav HC against Blazers...but this says otherwise....good read!

Seventyniner
04-10-2018, 01:57 PM
OKC doesn't actually affect the Spurs' potential HCA against Portland. If SA wins and Portland loses, than either SA would be the four-seed with HCA over the Blazers, or they'd be the five-seed also with HCA over the Blazers. The Thunder game is critical to seeding in all scenarios, though.

It turns out he was assuming that the Thunder win and that the Jazz beat the Warriors tonight. He had still made some mistakes but that link supposedly clears them up.

Basically the Spurs get the Blazers in round 1 with a win over New Orleans tomorrow, though the Spurs only get HCA if the Jazz beat the Blazers tomorrow as well. Losing to NO puts the Spurs at either #7 or #8. The Spurs don't have any possibility of playing the Jazz, Thunder, or Pelicans in round 1 if the two above assumptions hold.

If the Jazz lose tonight then everything gets shaken up again.

FvckMavs
04-10-2018, 02:01 PM

Based upon this updated version, Spurs will get Blazers if they beat Pelicans. If they lose to Pelicans tomorrow, Spurs will get either Warriors or Rockets.

$pursDynasty
04-10-2018, 02:54 PM
Based upon this updated version, Spurs will get Blazers if they beat Pelicans. If they lose to Pelicans tomorrow, Spurs will get either Warriors or Rockets.
which means we should try our best to win.

spurs1990
04-10-2018, 03:04 PM
You gotta be kidding me guys.

No matter what happens the Spurs can't get the 4th seed?

gambit1990
04-10-2018, 03:17 PM
that's the impression i got after looking at the standings.

Chinook
04-10-2018, 03:19 PM
You gotta be kidding me guys.

No matter what happens the Spurs can't get the 4th seed?

Yes, they can. For some reason, that dumbfuck at HP made Utah winning tonight against the Warriors (essentially guaranteeing them a top-four seed) a given for his chart. The Jazz lose two games in a row, and the Spurs close out NOP, and SA gets the fourth seed. Alternatively, SA winning, that Jazz beating the Guests tomorrow and OKC losing to Memphis gets SA the fourth seed. The reason why that other scenario also isn't on there is because dumbfuck from HP decided to make OKC winning his other given.

Seriously, HP Guy: Don't make a chart advertised as covering all contingencies when it makes two huge assumptions (especially when the weakest of those assumptions could fall a day before the chart would even go into effect).

spurs1990
04-10-2018, 03:26 PM
Yes, they can. For some reason, that dumbfuck at HP made Utah winning tonight against the Warriors (essentially guaranteeing them a top-four seed) a given for his chart. The Jazz lose two games in a row, and the Spurs close out NOP, and SA gets the fourth seed. Alternatively, SA winning, that Jazz beating the Guests tomorrow and OKC losing to Memphis gets SA the fourth seed. The reason why that other scenario also isn't on there is because dumbfuck from HP decided to make OKC winning his other given.

Seriously, HP Guy: Don't make a chart advertised as covering all contingencies when it makes two huge assumptions (especially when the weakest of those assumptions could fall a day before the chart would even go into effect).

Thank you sir :toast

spurraider21
04-10-2018, 04:00 PM
better to avoid GSW? or better to just play them round 1 while banged up instead of meeting them later when potentially at full strength?

Seventyniner
04-10-2018, 04:12 PM
Assuming a Thunder win is fine, but yeah the Jazz aren't nearly a gimme against the Warriors.

The Jazz winning out and the Spurs winning tomorrow is still the best possible scenario. The Blazers are the most beatable first-round opponent the Spurs can get.

BillMc
04-10-2018, 04:38 PM

Cheers. So if we beat NO we will play the Blazers no matter what, if we lose we will play the Rockets or Warriors depending on other results.

BillMc
04-10-2018, 04:40 PM

Oops. Maybe I spoke too soon. Thanks for the clarification.

Dex
04-10-2018, 05:29 PM
Hard to believe that with 1 game left in the season for Spurs, 3rd-9th place are still just 2 games apart. It's a recipe for tiebreaker madness.

Tomorrow is going to be a great evening of games.

NASpurs
04-10-2018, 05:46 PM

NASpurs
04-10-2018, 05:48 PM

https://media.giphy.com/media/AXorq76Tg3Vte/giphy.gif

Seventyniner
04-10-2018, 08:19 PM
The official seeding possibility breakdown from the NBA.

The Spurs can actually get a matchup with every other playoff team except New Orleans. Playing Denver or Minnesota requires Memphis to beat OC tomorrow though, plus other games breaking the right way.

Losing to New Orleans and OC beating Memphis means either the 7 or 8 seed. A Memphis win allows the Spurs to get #6 even with a loss tomorrow in three scenarios. Two of those involve Utah winning tonight so I guess go Jazz?

ElNono
04-10-2018, 08:41 PM
So we're rooting for the Dubs tonight, increases our chances at the #4 seed...

UGH

$pursDynasty
04-10-2018, 09:33 PM
Dubs laying down, smh

Ice009
04-10-2018, 09:35 PM
Is Goldenstate playing everyone? They're getting fucking trashed. If they're not playing everyone that is healthy, why not? They can still tie with Toronto in case the Raptors make the finals. I would have thought that they'd want to have home court against them in case of meeting in the finals.

Also, I thought if the Spurs lose and Utah wins at Portland along with a Minnesota win, the Spurs can still get higher than a 7th seed?

Edit, just had a look at the latest chart and with a loss at NO, the best the Spurs can do is 7th :(. They're going to have to try and win that one, but the Pelicans will probably be going all out for that one because if they lose, they're likely going to drop to 8th. The Spurs have let it come down to the last game of the season. They never should have let it come to this. Oh well. Can only hope to finish 7th and for Kawhi to come back.

pookenstein
04-11-2018, 06:06 AM
Root for the Wolves tonight. Rather Play GS in the first round than Houston

Chinook
04-11-2018, 06:34 AM
Root for the Wolves tonight. Rather Play GS in the first round than Houston

Or just root for the Spurs to beat NO. I don't see the point in "giving up" on SA winning against the Pels but also caring what team they get without HCA. Shove Davis & Co over, hope Utah wants a division title badly enough, and them hopefully get Portland coming to SA this weekend. Golden State can go fuck themselves after getting blown out by Utah. Bunch of wankers.

pookenstein
04-11-2018, 06:59 AM
Or just root for the Spurs to beat NO. I don't see the point in "giving up" on SA winning against the Pels but also caring what team they get without HCA. Shove Davis & Co over, hope Utah wants a division title badly enough, and them hopefully get Portland coming to SA this weekend. Golden State can go fuck themselves after getting blown out by Utah. Bunch of wankers.

That goes without saying. At least for me. I will always root for the Spurs to beat their Opponent. Exception: my Wife/Kids beeing held at gunpoint and threatened to be killed if the Spurs win. Not sure if the same applies to the mother in law though.

Chinook
04-11-2018, 08:01 AM
That goes without saying. At least for me. I will always root for the Spurs to beat their Opponent. Exception: my Wife/Kids beeing held at gunpoint and threatened to be killed if the Spurs win. Not sure if the same applies to the mother in law though.