PDA

View Full Version : N.O. mayor doesn't go easy on talk of S.A. Saints

TheWriter
10-20-2005, 01:10 AM
N.O. mayor doesn't go easy on talk of S.A. Saints

Web Posted: 10/20/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Tom Orsborn
Express-News Staff Writer

New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin fired the loudest salvo Wednesday as Louisiana officials criticized plans by New Orleans Saints owner Tom Benson to talk with San Antonio officials about permanently relocating his hurricane-displaced team.

Nagin, speaking at the reopening of Café Du Monde in the French Quarter, slammed Benson for his apparent interest in relocating to San Antonio and invited the NFL to develop a plan that would allow Benson to move his team on the condition that New Orleans is awarded an expansion franchise.

"For them to be openly talking to other cities about moving is disrespectful to the citizens of New Orleans," Nagin said, "disrespectful to the Saints fans who have hung in with this franchise through 30-something years under very trying times."

"We want our Saints. We may not want the owner back," Nagin said.

Benson drew criticism from other Louisiana officials, although none proposed letting the Saints leave to make way for a new team.

"Mayor Nagin and the city have a reason to be upset," said attorney Larry Roedel, who represents the Louisiana Stadium & Exposition District, which operates the Louisiana Superdome.

"Hopefully, with NFL encouragement, Mr. Benson will ultimately do the right thing and honor the loyalty shown to his franchise by New Orleans and the state for decades, including many lean years."

Benson wasn't the only target of Louisiana state officials. The chairman of the LSU Board of Supervisors directed his wrath at Mayor Phil Hardberger, who triggered the tempest Sunday when he said San Antonio intended to push for permanent relocation of the Saints.

"It's inappropriate for the mayor of San Antonio to attempt to pirate the Saints in the middle of the Hurricane Katrina disaster," said Bernard Boudreaux, who negotiated the school's contract with the Saints for four games this season at Tiger Stadium in Baton Rouge.

"And," Boudreaux added, "it's a copout (for San Antonio city officials) to suggest San Antonio isn't (recruiting) the Saints. How would San Antonio feel if it got hit by a natural disaster like Katrina and Kansas City tried to take (the Spurs)?"

Hardberger couldn't be reached for comment. Benson said, "I don't want to say anything. But I could really say something off the record."

Nagin's comments triggered an emotional response from another member of the organization.

"Mr. Benson hasn't said he's going to move the franchise to San Antonio, so everyone needs to calm down — Mayor Ray Nagin and everyone — and quit doggin' Mr. Benson," star receiver Joe Horn said.

Horn added that Benson has the right to move the team.

"We can all blow smoke and say this and that," Horn said. "But guess what? When it comes down to the ultimate come-down, it's Mr. Benson's team. ... This is not the Green Bay Packers. New Orleans doesn't own the Saints and, right now, New Orleans isn't suitable for us to go back to. And, from what I'm hearing, Baton Rouge doesn't want us."

A report in the LSU student newspaper would seem to support Horn's claim about Baton Rouge.

According to the Reveille, LSU chancellor Sean O'Keefe expressed at a faculty senate meeting last week his displeasure about the NFL's decision to schedule games at Tiger Stadium.

"We'd rather not have the games here at all," O'Keefe was quoted as saying by the Reveille. "This is going to be a real problem, and we are not excited about the prospect."

O'Keefe called the staging of the games a "huge logistical nightmare" and said "it will not be a windfall for the university."

Nagin said he hoped the NFL would consider solving the Saints' situation through use of what he called the "Cleveland plan."

"Whatever the Saints want to do, you let them leave, but they can't take our logo, they can't take our name, and you give us a promise to give us a franchise when this city's back," Nagin said, referring to the NFL placing an expansion franchise in Cleveland after the Browns relocated to Baltimore after the 1995 season.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello declined comment.

"There's nothing to say," Aiello said. "Talk to someone else."

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/MYSA102005.01A.FBN_Saints_Nagin.1835860c.html

NINERS4LIFE
10-20-2005, 01:37 AM
That sounds cool to hear Joe Horn say that!!!

SAN ANTONIO BANDIDOS here we come !!!!

exstatic
10-20-2005, 07:30 AM
A report in the LSU student newspaper would seem to support Horn's claim about Baton Rouge.

According to the Reveille, LSU chancellor Sean O'Keefe expressed at a faculty senate meeting last week his displeasure about the NFL's decision to schedule games at Tiger Stadium.

"We'd rather not have the games here at all," O'Keefe was quoted as saying by the Reveille. "This is going to be a real problem, and we are not excited about the prospect."

O'Keefe called the staging of the games a "huge logistical nightmare" and said "it will not be a windfall for the university."

Wow. I wish this fucker had spoken up a little earlier.

I imagine Benson will wait until the very last minute, but it's going to get VERY ugly for those last couple of games at LSU when he invokes the force majeur clause to exit the Superdome lease. I feel bad for the players, because they are going to bear the brunt of the fans displeasure at Benson.

Clandestino
10-20-2005, 07:48 AM
the chancellor said that FROM DAY ONE! the nfl and the recently "resigned" fielkow were the ones pushing for games in moulin rouge

Shiner Bock Girl
10-20-2005, 08:39 AM
WOW, Iam sooo proud of Horn...I think these players have finally had enough seeing how their owner is taking the heat,and how this city is being treated for a situation that can't be helped...Like Horn said, NOLA isn't suitable to go back to and LSU doesn't want them...Maybe the NOLA ppl need to start dogging LSU, they hurt them more then we did.

Shiner Bock Girl
10-20-2005, 08:40 AM
Wow. I wish this fucker had spoken up a little earlier.

I imagine Benson will wait until the very last minute, but it's going to get VERY ugly for those last couple of games at LSU when he invokes the force majeur clause to exit the Superdome lease. I feel bad for the players, because they are going to bear the brunt of the fans displeasure at Benson.

I have a feeling he wasn't allowed to speak up earlier. Something must be officially going down since Horn said that.....