PDA

View Full Version : Corner Finally Turned In Texas...

Nbadan
10-20-2005, 03:44 AM
...and not a second too late I may add!

http://www.surveyusa.com/chartfx62/temp/CFT1020_04253419E9C.png

Source: SurveyUSA (http://www.surveyusa.com/client/PollTrack.aspx?g=87c66d02-973f-4aed-bb0c-75de38f33048)

Clandestino
10-20-2005, 07:37 AM
so, what happens? will bush be impeached?

boutons
10-20-2005, 08:07 AM
"will bush be impeached"

More intelligent reaction from the lunatic right when confronted with the disastrous holing and sinking of the dubya garbage scow not even one year after re-election. 3 more years will these criminals be running the country.

dubya/dickhead/Rice/wolfowitz should be tried for lying to the world about the justification for the bogus, murderous Iraq war. At very best, they are guilty of manslaughter for driving the country recklessly and causing the deaths and injuries tof 1000s of US military and Iraqi civilians.

The lying, chickenshit dubya crew says "not our fault the Iraq intelligence was bad".

Drive your car with bad breaks, bald tires, have an accident killing somebody, and then try tell the judge "It wasn't my fault. The breaks and tires were bad. I'm innocent."

Marcus Bryant
10-20-2005, 08:12 AM
You do realize that is most likely due to conservative dissatisfaction with Bush? I don't believe that's an indication of a sudden leftward shift in Texas.

JoeChalupa
10-20-2005, 08:13 AM
I concur.

Extra Stout
10-20-2005, 08:27 AM
You do realize that is most likely due to conservative dissatisfaction with Bush? I don't believe that's an indication of a sudden leftward shift in Texas.True. Katrina didn't help. The Miers pick did a lot of damage. The feeble attempts to justify the Miers pick only made things worse. The final resort of calling conservatives names and threatening them certainly wasn't a good idea. And the stream of indictments about to pour into the White House doesn't create any warm fuzzies.

Bush has been unmasked. He doesn't believe in small government, he doesn't respect individual rights, he spends like a Latin American dictator, he puts his personal business buddies above free markets, his administration is overwhelmed by corruption, he uses his "faith" as cheap identity politics, his worldview is about as well-developed as that of a fourth-grader, he lies to his base and then threatens and abuses them when they criticize him, and his only priority in the world is demanding loyalty from his innermost circle and passing out graft and sinecures to those who pull the biggest vacuum while kissing his ass.

For four years he has milked his little speech with the megaphone in New York, and finally at long last just about everyone understands that the emperor has no clothes. He's not a conservative. He's not a follower of Reagan, or even of his father. He's Roger Smith with a drawl.

For the last three years of the Bush presidency, the conservatives in Congress go their own way. There is no reason for those who care about the conservative ideology to follow the President. There is no payoff. There are no bones to be thrown to conservatives.

All Bush has left is to threaten Senators and Congressmen with well-funded primary opponents. But he can't go after all of them. And its not as if close ties to Bush are doing any campaigns any favors. Ask Rick Santorum about that.

boutons
10-20-2005, 09:13 AM
dubya has done nothing for the country in 5 years, has done nothing about his promises and "vows", except the vow to payback the rich + corps, while destroying the federal govt and fucking over the poor and middle class.

See the news today where the dubya's gonna let Jeb fuck over FL Medicaid.

======================

The New York Times
October 20, 2005

Op-Ed Columnist

Scenes From a Meltdown
By DAVID BROOKS

"This country is in one heck of a mess."

If there is a single sentiment members of Congress heard while back in their districts this month, that was it.

In the past few days I've been speaking with Republicans and Democrats on Capitol Hill (mostly Republicans) about the mood back home. I've learned that it's one thing to read in the paper that two-thirds of Americans think the country is headed in the wrong direction. It's an altogether more bracing experience to go to town meetings and church and the supermarket and find this sentiment blasting you in the face.

The most interesting tales came from Republicans elected from districts President Bush carried by fewer than 10 points. Those districts were once moderately supportive of the president, but now, as one member of Congress said, the anger at Bush is so deep it's almost indescribable.

It's a generalized feeling of betrayal. At town meetings, big subjects like Iraq and the deficits barely come up. But there is a sense that this guy Bush promised to make us feel safe, and it's clear from the Katrina fiasco and everything else that we are not safe.

For Republicans from vulnerable districts in the Northeast and Midwest, the president has become, as another member put it, radioactive. These Republicans return from districts where they are being called upon to give back the money Tom DeLay raised for them, and go back to a Washington where G.O.P. indictments, and hence trials, promise to stretch on for years.

And yet Republicans are not panicked. They know that if the election were held today, their base would stay home, but they look over at the Democrats and say: Thank God for Nancy Pelosi. Thank God for Howard Dean. They see that Dean refers to his base as "merlot Democrats," and it confirms their suspicion that the opposition party is really run by imbeciles.

The odd thing is that the Democrats, who have the self-assurance of a beaten dog, feel this way about themselves. Most sense, in their heart of hearts, that they are the Palestinians of American politics: they'll never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity. The most common word I hear from Democratic partisans to describe their own party is "pathetic."

Indeed, when you look at the graphs showing both parties' approval ratings, it's like looking at a pair of expert-only ski slopes. A Pew Research Center poll showed the parties' approval ratings plummeting to around 32 percent - below their own bases.

So politicians are not panicked, but they are mobilized. They have just a few months to redefine themselves and avoid catastrophe. Over the next weeks, we are going to see an ideas race, as both parties hustle to get out new, positive agendas.

On the Democratic side, the party leadership is in control. To nationalize the election, Democrats are about to roll out a big agenda. Unfortunately, their big idea consists of Spending for Everything and a Return to Fiscal Restraint. The Democrats are promising universal health insurance, college for all, a Manhattan Project on energy and an end to runaway spending. This is using Teddy Kennedy means to achieve Robert Rubin ends. In a country disillusioned with parties, it's going to be a tough sell.

On the G.O.P. side, this is a moment of Republican glasnost. After years of following the leaders, Republicans are suddenly rebelling and innovating on all fronts. Conservatives like Mike Pence and moderates like Mark Kirk are joining forces to battle the old DeLay institutionalists to actually cut spending, including cuts in defense and veterans affairs. Orthodox conservatives are meeting with the renegade John McCain. Members from marginal districts are putting together agendas that will distance them from the dominant G.O.P. voices from the South and West.

The Republicans are going to end up localizing the election. Listening to constituents, these Republicans sense that people are exhausted by big visions and grand dreams. They want small, achievable ideas. The best ones I heard were from members who wanted to promote open-space initiatives and suburban livability, members who wanted to reduce medical paperwork. This is politics on the alderman level, but it's probably right for the moment.

Congress is polarized, but this isn't an ideological moment, liberal or conservative. It's a moment when voters want to know someone is running the country, that there's someone to project authority and take responsibility, to establish international and domestic order, so they can get on with their lives.

* Copyright 2005 The New York Times Company

Clandestino
10-20-2005, 10:20 AM
the red cross would never need to hold blood drives if they could collect all boutons' menstrual flow.... man, i swear you are always on the rag.. like one poster said, "that explains why boutons is on the rag 24/7/365"

Extra Stout
10-20-2005, 10:43 AM
Also...

I would have to say to all the wackos who've been saying "Bush=Hitler," that you were deeply and fundamentally wrong. If the Bush Administration and the Republican establishment is to be compared to a German government, its impotence and ineptitude most closely mirror the Weimar Republic (cf. Jim Hoagland's WaPo column).

What's the danger? Well, if we find a brilliant and effective administrator and reformer who also happens to be an extremist freak, compared to Bush & Co., it will appear to most Americans to be a major improvement.

For example, observe the united front among the far-left and far-right commentariat behind Tom Coburn as he pushes an amendment to reallocate Dan Young's "Bridge to Nowhere" to Katrina relief. The Republican establishment is fighting hard against Coburn, because they value their bloated power structure over any kind of ideology, and care far more about their feather beds of pork money than they do about actual people.

But while Coburn's effort is just common sense, and while he is ideologically consistent, he's ideologically consistent at the far-right edge of theocratic conservatism. In a different climate, he would be a dangerous wacko. In the current climate, he looks like a breath of fresh air.

That's how it happens.

scott
10-20-2005, 11:30 AM
Rushmore here he comes...

Nbadan
10-20-2005, 12:32 PM
so, what happens? will bush be impeached?

If this were Britian, W would receive a no-confidence vote and would have to step down. According to the same SurveyUSA national numbers, W would only carry 6 states if the 04 election were held today.

Low approval numbers makes it difficult to get anything done in Washington, especially for a President in his second term. Most Senators and some House Reps no longer feel as much of a partisan obligation to support the administration's policies. By 2006, the power in Washington starts flowing toward the likely 08 Presidential candidates and W is a lame duck.

Murphy
10-20-2005, 12:58 PM
polls are about as reliable as John Kerry trying keeping one side on an issue, too many variables come in to play when it comes to polling like: how was the question framed, where was the poll conducted, etc. I don't believe any poll, never have never will

Dos
10-20-2005, 01:11 PM
he odd thing is that the Democrats, who have the self-assurance of a beaten dog, feel this way about themselves. Most sense, in their heart of hearts, that they are the Palestinians of American politics: they'll never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity. The most common word I hear from Democratic partisans to describe their own party is "pathetic."

Vashner
10-20-2005, 01:20 PM
Most republicans will not take a poll...

All the polls for Bush have always been bad.. but he wins elections.

So poll's mean DICK SQUAT...

Bush is president and nothing any ass wipes can do or bad polls is gonna stop
the dubya from his mission.

Extra Stout
10-20-2005, 01:25 PM
Bush is president and nothing any ass wipes can do or bad polls is gonna stop the dubya from his mission.

Not true. When Republicans in Congress start seeing that siding with the President is a nonstop ticket to electoral defeat, they'll start doing a stand-up job of stopping his mission and setting out on their own.

Bush rapidly is becoming the GOP's version of Jimmy Carter.

Clearly, there are some people so wrapped up in the notion that whatever Bush says must be what's best for the country that if he said we all needed to stick flaming broomstick handles up our asses, then they would go running around impugning the patriotism of anybody not found with said flaming broomstick squarely lodged in said ass. However, those people are decreasing in number rather quickly, and a big chunk of the conservative base has defected already.

Rick Von Braun
10-20-2005, 01:39 PM
polls are about as reliable as John Kerry trying keeping one side on an issue, too many variables come in to play when it comes to polling like: how was the question framed, where was the poll conducted, etc. I don't believe any poll, never have never willI know polls may be imperfect, but there are many agencies (partisan and not partisan) doing it. It is a useful tool to gauge public opinion. If you don't believe in polls at all, then you indirectly don't believe in the democratic system. Elections are merely big polls of public opinion at a certain time.

xrayzebra
10-20-2005, 02:46 PM
I know polls may be imperfect, but there are many agencies (partisan and not partisan) doing it. It is a useful tool to gauge public opinion. If you don't believe in polls at all, then you indirectly don't believe in the democratic system. Elections are merely big polls of public opinion at a certain time.

Yeah, Our last President who lived by the polls, and did nothing without one.
As a matter of fact he did nothing at all except go to other countries that loved him. One thing he did was love love and sex. He had the best chin quiver in the world and good hair sometimes white, sometime grey, but 300.00 haircuts that shut down an airport for several hours will do that for a person (I was going to say man, but that would have been pushing it in his case).

RandomGuy
10-20-2005, 02:51 PM
Bush has been unmasked. He doesn't believe in small government, he doesn't respect individual rights, he spends like a Latin American dictator, he puts his personal business buddies above free markets, his administration is overwhelmed by corruption, he uses his "faith" as cheap identity politics, his worldview is about as well-developed as that of a fourth-grader.

Too bad it took everybody 5 years to figure that one out. (sighs).

boutons
10-20-2005, 02:57 PM
"all boutons' menstrual flow"

More intelligent dialog from the lunatic, knee-jerk dubya-suckers.

Stand up like a man, you fucking, ignorant wimp, and respond with something intelligent to the message instead of doing nothing but throwing rotten tomatoes at posters, which is the only "red" you'll find in my direction.

xrayzebra
10-20-2005, 02:59 PM
"all boutons' menstrual flow"

More intelligent dialog from the lunatic, knee-jerk dubya-suckers.

Stand up like a man, you fucking, ignorant wimp, and respond with something intelligent to the message instead of doing nothing but throwing rotten tomatoes at posters, which is the only "red" you'll find in my direction.

You mean like this posting, you just made? :lol :lol :elephant :elephant

Gatita
10-20-2005, 03:04 PM
You do realize that is most likely due to conservative dissatisfaction with Bush? I don't believe that's an indication of a sudden leftward shift in Texas.

:tu

Dos
10-20-2005, 03:48 PM
he odd thing is that the Democrats, who have the self-assurance of a beaten dog, feel this way about themselves. Most sense, in their heart of hearts, that they are the Palestinians of American politics: they'll never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity. The most common word I hear from Democratic partisans to describe their own party is "pathetic."

Nbadan
10-20-2005, 04:16 PM

No, the 42% that still support W in TX are the conservative base. The ones who have left are the moderates.

Marcus Bryant
10-20-2005, 04:20 PM
Funny how the moderates haven't broken for the Demos in a long, long time.

Keep on dreaming, danny boy.

Nbadan
10-20-2005, 04:20 PM
e odd thing is that the Democrats, who have the self-assurance of a beaten dog, feel this way about themselves. Most sense, in their heart of hearts, that they are the Palestinians of American politics: they'll never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity. The most common word I hear from Democratic partisans to describe their own party is "pathetic."

That's the attitude from Republican pundits I hear, not the Democrats I know.

Nbadan
10-20-2005, 04:22 PM
Funny how the moderates haven't broken for the Demos in a long, long time.

Keep on dreaming, danny boy.

Eh, the country will evenutally shift back toward the middle. Democrats might even take both the Senate or House in the 06 mid-terms.

Marcus Bryant
10-20-2005, 04:23 PM
Yeah, just like that "great progressive tidal wave" in the 2004 election.

Extra Stout
10-20-2005, 04:29 PM
No, the 42% that still support W in TX are the conservative base. The ones who have left are the moderates.The conservative base is Texas is far more than 42% of the population. He can't get that low in this state without pissing off his base.

mookie2001
10-20-2005, 06:13 PM
I was listening to Lionel and he was talking about that poll that had Bush's approval rating by blacks at 2%

he said the margin for error was 3%, so there could actually be some black people who don't like Bush that havent even been born yet
I laughed
hard
its funny because its true

Nbadan
10-21-2005, 01:05 AM
The conservative base is Texas is far more than 42% of the population. He can't get that low in this state without pissing off his base.

Most estimates I've seen is around 44%, with 32% being hard-core Democrats and the rest swing both ways, depending on the candidates. Do you know something different?

gtownspur
10-21-2005, 01:08 AM
THis sounds like a bullshit poll. anyway i bet the dumbasses who awnsered were told that they would be entered in a contest for a free time share. THis is pathetic.

Nbadan
10-21-2005, 01:11 AM
By the way, in recent polls W's approval number dropped below 80% for the first time among the conservative base. It seems apparent that even some hard-core conservatives have become disillusioned with the WH, but by far I still think it is moderates voicing their displeasure with Iraq, with gas prices, and with the economy in general.

Nbadan
10-21-2005, 01:14 AM
THis sounds like a bullshit poll. anyway i bet the dumbasses who awnsered were told that they would be entered in a contest for a free time share. THis is pathetic.

Well, the next poll by Survey USA should tell us whether this was a anomaly or if W's numbers have really nose-dived in Texas.

I blame Progressive radio. Damn you Stephanie Miller!

:hat

gtownspur
10-21-2005, 01:27 AM
oh great. Remember dan, two bull shit polls dont equal truth.

mookie2001
10-21-2005, 10:06 AM
its funny how low numbers are a bullshit poll
and high numbers are grounds for gloating

I guess it could be the opposite way for me
except I don't think every possible polling service and media outlet is a Conservative Conspiracy